Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E07: The Drop

In a pool challenge, the teams are tasked to hold a percentage of their body weight in order to keep their trainers from falling into a pool, and the last-place team loses its trainer for the week. Elsewhere, two eliminated contestants team up at Comeback Canyon; and one contestant gives her trainer a look at her past.

Didn't care to get to know more about Lori. But I will say she is starting to look much better.

Oh look, the Red team had to depend on Rob, and....hmm. *splash goes Dolvett*  Not surprised. Excellent week for Rob to have lost all that weight. Hope Dolvett enjoyed his week off.

I cannot stress enough how much I despise the "lose your trainer for a week" penalties. SO counterproductive and  **way**  too punitive for contestants that are really there to get healthy

Blake and another 5 pounds. Steady loss, I guess, her numbers are never shockingly huge. But still better than two pounds. (Jackie.)

WOW, Gina. -3 lbs and she is still there. She was very lucky that Matt was coming off a 16 pound week, but STILL. I was expecting him to lose at least 3 pounds. But he has achieved a lot and I am happy for hi and his new fiancee. :)

Rolling my eyes at the White Team pulling it out again. But at least Damien didn't have to go home. The rest of the Blue team better start stepping it up because he can't pull those huge numbers every week.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 1

I thought Rage Boi was going to knock over the cardboard red, white and blue set.  How unattractive is that?  And all the time Ali looks like she's off to play tennis with that dress. Gina is cool.  She is game for everything.  Matt better hope he doesn't gain anything back or the GF/fiancee is outta there.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 3

I thought Rage Boi was going to knock over the cardboard red, white and blue set.  How unattractive is that?

Heh. My reaction was: "Ooo, what a dramatic outburst intended to demonstrate your extreme frustration and self-disgust! Too bad it didn't occur to you to use that energy to keep hanging on to the damn rope."

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 10

Oh, Rob is beyond annoying. I was SO hoping he would go home.

I really like Sonya, hope she makes it to the final 3.

Once again Comeback Craphole was a fail. How many weeks have I written that, LOL! Maybe next week will actually be more evenly matched since there was such a small loss by Gina.

• Love 2

You know what would be fun? Keeping Comeback Canyon for all the contestants but they are not weighed in until the week that they have a chance to return to the competition. That way you don't have the silly rotating door that your currently have. So you get booted, you go to comeback canyon and you stay there, if you want, until the weigh in to send someone back into the competition. People have a real chance to lose extra weight and there might actually be some tension over who is going to win.

Rob can leave now. Well, he could have left weeks ago.

Wow does the Blue Team suck. I don't think Jesse is a very good trainer. His team might like him but they seem to really not do well in anything. The workouts he has them doing do not strike me as particularly challenging or intense. They are losing weight but at the same pace. Then again, he ended up with most of the people who had no choice so it could be a function of the people on his team.

White and Red both seem to be able to do a good job even when their trainers are not there. The workouts that they are doing are something that they can repeat on their own and have some success.

• Love 1

A lot with that pool challenge seemed to have to do with where they positioned their hands before the weight was even dropped.  A few of them really messed that up.

Comeback Craphole continues to bore.

Boohoo, I have to work without my trainer. Oh no, my team will have to work out without me. Pull the waaambulance up front asap. Rob seems to have some anger issues. Blake's "We walk into the room and there was Ally!" Why do they have a contestant announce this almost every freakin' show. We get it!!! Makes me want to run outside and scream into the night.

Rob is going to go off into crazy land at some point. Hopefully he'll be at Bob's Box when it happens. (That's in reference to Bob's obsession wifh Crossfit, where the gyms are called boxes.) I like the vision of Rob destroying the Box & Bob crying in the corner until Rob starts crying too. Bob's Box of Bawling.

Jesse continues to be a pleasant surprise. I guess I shouldn't have prejudged him based on his family connections. He either is very adapt at acting or he is a decent guy. I hate that his team keeps losing.

• Love 4

@ProfCrash

Wow does the Blue Team suck. I don't think Jesse is a very good trainer. His team might like him but they seem to really not do well in anything. The workouts he has them doing do not strike me as particularly challenging or intense. They are losing weight but at the same pace. Then again, he ended up with most of the people who had no choice so it could be a function of the people on his team.

The blue team's poor performance is so confusing to me. They always have consistent but small losses that would be great in the real world but you would think eventually one of the women would have had a big week. It looks like they all work hard but I do feel like their results are a reflection of Jesse and feel bad for the blue team contestants in that regard. It could be their diet too, which we don't get the opportunity to see. 

I don't know if Jesse sucks, as much as he's just not in the same headspace about gigantic dangerous weight losses as JD Roth and his fellow producers are.  He's training his people the way he would real world clients, I bet, and not like they're on a game show.

• Love 7

Lori may be a big mope, but I noticed she can still put some stank on the ball.   It was refreshing to see a real athlete who did have glory days show off.   I also noticed she has a heavier musculature than the other women, and is likely building more muscle, which would account in part for the modest numbers.    She's the only woman IMO where you can see the inches starting to come off (her waist) and some firmness in her arms and shoulders. 

I sort of dig Jessie.

Rage boi needs medication before he tips over one of those purple/green treadmills or somesuch. 

• Love 2

@Mu Shu

I sort of dig Jessie.

I dig Jessie too as well as everyone the blue team which is why I feel badly that their great-in-real-life weight loss is not able to keep them on the show longer. I was so happy when they won the challenge, which I think was their first win. I just wonder what the other two trainers do differently, especially the white team, that allows them to have such big weight losses almost every week. 

• Love 2

I wonder if the Blue Team's lower weight loss has something to do with the content of Jessie's workouts - seems like we see a lot of the other two teams doing quite a bit of cardio and a lot of the Blue Team ... throwing heavy stuff around.  I bet they are building more muscle than the other teams, but that's not how this game works.

• Love 1

I agree, the other teams aren't really building right now.   I guess it's a good strategy gamewise, but healthwise, it leaves much to be desired.    Maybe they need to do inches lost?

Or body fat percentages? I don't know if that would be overly nuanced for tv though. Hard to make a dramatic moment on the big scale if you're dunking in a pool or having someone use calipers on you.

It's been done before on shows like this, even if not in the US.  

But thrilled nobody.

• Love 1

I guess there's no reason they couldn't make them stand up there and flash it on a screen the same way though - just throw some fancy lighting and make it look like they're being scanned.  It's tv - there's no reason it needs to be scientifically accurate (especially not on this show!)

The Discovery Health Body Challenge used to have a chart with lbs lost & body fat %. On a chalkboard, no less (low tech & budget!). They would take both into consideration, though no one was ever voted off. They had to interview with judges at the end who would take these numbers into consideration. BL could learn a thing or two. But guess it's about the drama, not actually teaching healthy habits to the audience,

• Love 2

While it was funny that Rob was the guy who let go of the rope it wasn't his fault.  Sure, he's the heaviest guy on his team and but his teammates all bailed on the rope when they had people helping them.  Expecting one person to be able to hold the rope for his team when nobody on the other teams had let go was unrealistic.

Jesse's team is losing weight steadily and that is good but they are not pulling the numbers that would be expected from people who are working out as much as they are. We do see them doing a good amount with weights, which is good, but we don't see the cardio. At the weight that these folks are, they do need more cardio. Putting on muscle is great but they have a ton of fat to burn. I get why the other trainers do so much with the cardio. They are not ignoring the weights but focused on the cardio. As the cardio burns off the fat, you can up the weights to build more muscle but these folks have so much fat to burn off that I think the Dolvette and the female trainer whose name I always forget are focused on burning the fat and starting the weight. Later they will focus more on the weights.

Jesse strikes me as a good guy who is doing a good job with his team but he is not giving them an opportunity to stay longer with how he is doing things. Dolvett's teams seem to have a good track record and do fine off the ranch so I don't think his focus is all that off. The weird thing is that Jillian and Bob tended to pound on Dolvett's team in the past seasons.

I cannot stress enough how much I despise the "lose your trainer for a week" penalties. SO counterproductive and  **way**  too punitive for contestants that are really there to get healthy

How so? The team that had no trainer all week won the weigh-in. The team that had their trainer all week came in last. Losing a trainer seems to be more inspirational than counterproductive.

• Love 1

Because I feel that the contestants still are in a stage where they need as much time as they can get with the people that are there to guide and support them. Yes, they are working harder when their trainers aren't there, some are losing well, some not too spectacularly, but I don't think it is fair to leave them to their own devices and have to come up with their own routines when they are still getting back on track. Especially if they have a question for their trainer in or out of the gym, and/or need the support.

The 1, 2, 4 (etc) pound disadvantages are a more reasonable penalty, I think.