Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Cartoon Man

Sick And Tired Of People Saying The Simpsons "Suck" Now

I'm sorry but sometimes out of the group you get a few people who are stuck in 1996 and won't get over how "good" The Simpsons used to be. I say The Simpsons will never be what they were Season 1-9. They just won't be and I'll tell you why I'm glad. It was different times then and The Simpsons finally evolved into the 21st century. Yeah they were in a rut in the early 2000's but it's time to move on! Quit frankly some of my favorite Simpsons episodes are more recent ones. Who else agrees? 

Edited by Cartoon Man
  • Like 1

The longer and longer this thing runs, the more you're gonna hear it. Heck, 10 years from now it'll be, "The show now doesn't even compare to the stuff from the early 20-teens."

(Another example of a show that always gets this is Saturday Night Live).

Edited by GaryE
  • Like 3

We were all in a rut in the early 2000's. Personally, '03-'04 was middle school for me. The deepest rut that's ever rutted.

("I've dug myself into a happy, little rut here and I'm not about to hoist myself out of it." "Just bring the rut with ya, honey."

I agree. The recent episodes are solid comedy. Sure they aren't as good as say season 4 but I don't think that is a fair comparison since I think those early seasons are some of the best TV comedy of all time. There isn't a comedy on TV right now that is that good, so why should current Simpsons be held up to a standard that no other show on TV can match.

• Like 4

I gave up on the show in 2003, Recent marathons have made me realize the past 5-6 seasons have actually been quite good, not seasons 1-5 good but still good and clearly better than Family Guy.

• Like 1

I've been watching since Tracey Ullman days.  It's not as good.  I actually stopped watching for years, it was just so painful. I have slowly come back. I am finding most of the last few years' episodes to be ok.  Not great, but not in sucky territory.  The mid-to-late 2000s episodes are much, much worse. 

Even just watching the Ever Simpsons Ever marathon, older episodes I had forgotten about were funny and a lot of say... 2002's were just a string of unfunny gags and a loose plotting.  It doesn't have to be as great as it was in the early days, but I just don't want it to be awful. Right now, it meets that standard.

Also, the early years are problematic. The animation was crappy (lots of errors, not just the stylistic suck) and now each episode, however many story problems one might find, looks fantastic. The voices are consistent. It's great the minor characters recur so often.

It's not my current favorite show, but it's now back into weekly rotation.  It USED to be my favorite show, and it is sad it isn't anymore, but expecting it to be that good forever is impossible. I just want it to be good enough that I don't turn it off mid-episode in disgust and/or boredom. I think some people on the "it sucks" bandwagon haven't seen some of the post-movie episodes where I find the quality has improved.

• Like 1

I think some people on the "it sucks" bandwagon haven't seen some of the post-movie episodes where I find the quality has improved.

That is what always makes me laugh. You will see comments on the internet about how people will say "I stopped watching the simpsons in season 9 when it stopped being good" or it hasn't been good since then or things like that. But if someone hasn't been watching for over 10 years how do they know it is not good?

• Like 3

That is what always makes me laugh. You will see comments on the internet about how people will say "I stopped watching the simpsons in season 9 when it stopped being good" or it hasn't been good since then or things like that. But if someone hasn't been watching for over 10 years how do they know it is not good?

For me, I would check back in for once in a while after I gave up on it. I always watched THOH. So if I couldn't even get into the best episode of the year and the other glimpses I saw the rest of the season, then I knew it was awful without having to waste 22 minutes each week.  Although, I think I'm rare in that and other people haven't necessarily done what I did.

I think most of people's problems with the show these days stems from the fact that they keep using the same recycled plot lines over and over and over and over again.  And that does get a little old.

As for me, I probably wouldn't have as much to complain about if it wasn't for the fact that Marge has turned into both a prissy ninny and a resentful bitch.  Actually, none of the characters are as likable as they used to be.

I'm definitely in the category of those who think the post-S9 seasons aren't nearly as awful as they're made out to be. (And that the beginning season weren't AS perfect as they're often made out to be---even my favorite seasons, S5, S6 and S7, had a few clunkers!) I happen to love Season 15 and even much of Season 20, for example, and even my least favorite seasons have a few gems that I think are well worth rewatching. 

I'm in the very unusual position of not having watched any Simpsons before the movie came out.  (The reason is long and boring, so I won't relate it here, but suffice to say that I didn't even know about this melancholy until fairly recently).  

I will say, though, that it makes me curious about the early episodes, but, apparently not curious enough to watch them (I assume they are online, somewhere).

I'm in the very unusual position of not having watched any Simpsons before the movie came out.  (The reason is long and boring, so I won't relate it here, but suffice to say that I didn't even know about this melancholy until fairly recently).  

I will say, though, that it makes me curious about the early episodes, but, apparently not curious enough to watch them (I assume they are online, somewhere).

Well, if you can get the FX app streaming on your TV, you can go to the Every Simpsons Ever section. Hit play and off you go.  I'll see you in a few weeks, but feel free to stop back once you get to season 3 when it all came together, and then season 4 - 6 when you'll find things you may say day to day that you didn't even realize came from the this show, and so on.

• Like 2

Well, if you can get the FX app streaming on your TV, you can go to the Every Simpsons Ever section. Hit play and off you go.  I'll see you in a few weeks, but feel free to stop back once you get to season 3 when it all came together, and then season 4 - 6 when you'll find things you may say day to day that you didn't even realize came from the this show, and so on.

Thank you.  I'll look into this.

Edited by mightycrone

Quit frankly some of my favorite Simpsons episodes are more recent ones. Who else agrees?

I do not.

Too many damn Elon Musk references. And don't get me started about how more effort is put into the couch gag than in the actual episode.

If that makes me someone who is not with what is it (and what is it, I'm not with), then so be it. 

• Like 2

The early episodes are easy to come by, and their DVDs are pretty cheap nowadays.

Yep. Just waiting for seasons 7 and 8 to come out on dvd. Love those two.

7 and 8 have been out for YEARS. We're up to season 17.

They haven't gotten them at Wal-Mart yet for $9.96. That's what I was talking about. I could get them through their site, but they're a bit more last time I checked.

Yep. And I don't really care. *shrug* Will just catch episodes when I can either live or On Demand. I like to watch shows off line when I can.

Not even bothering with their streaming app either. With online caps it's not worth it. Everything may be moving online, but at the end of the day, a lot of people will be left in the dust due to said caps.

Digital media isn't the be all and end all imo. I'm planning on moving onto blu ray when I can, but I'm sticking with DVD's for now.

Pirates will still pirate. Regardless of what they try to do to stop it.

I'm not really on board with the popular idea that only seasons 3-9 are worth watching---for me, (nearly) every season has its share of great episodes and some that I have no interest in ever rewatching. Actually, one of the alleged post-prime seasons---Season 11---is one of my very favorites. I have weird taste :)   

• Like 1

I have been watching this Simpsons, probably since I was 6 (and while looking back I do wonder how my  parents ever allowed me to watch the Simpsons, but I do feel grateful that I was allowed to watch it, that young) but like others I can say that there was a dipped in quality (YMMV) probably in the mid-2000s (and it seemed that almost everything dipped in quality during that time). Which caused me to, briefly stopped watching, but lately I have come back and I feel that the quality has improved. Yes, it is not as good in quality as in Seasons 1-4, but I feel that the episodes are written better than they were back in 2004/2005. 

I feel that they finally got a good crop of writers, this time around now, and that the episodes have been much better. That being said, I still like the Simpsons more (even back in the mid-2000s) than Family Guy

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Like 2

It's good to come here and see a forum where people still enjoy The Simpsons.  Everywhere else, it seems, people talk about "the fall of The Simpsons" or about how The Simpsons isn't funny any more.  Then when you look deeper, you find out these people haven't actually watched the show in over 15 years.  Seasons 10 - 13 were pretty weak in my opinion, but over the past decade I don't think I've seen an episode that didn't produce at least one huge laugh. 

The longevity of this show amazes me.  I remember it premiering around Christmas when I was in the 3rd grade.  Now I work with people (college graduates) who were not even alive when the show premiered.  Not even conceived.  They were purely theoretical human beings.

On 4/9/2015 at 4:03 PM, AimingforYoko said:

That was the case for a while, but I saw on Amazon that season 18 will come out next month.  I hope they keep it up and some day all 30+ seasons are on DVD.  I love physical media, and especially the great care and effort they put into making these ones.

• Like 2