Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E12: All About Jill

We had to once again watch & listen to MEchelle talking about Miracle's birth & growth & how Jill was sooooooo involved in her care. After the Miracle Saga clip, MEchelle makes the comment "from there Jill just seemed to take an interest in labor & delivery." Um, I thought she was interested in birthing/midwifery before Miracle was born. She was at Mack's birth (who was born before Miracle) because of her interest. Also I remember hearing that Jill first became interested in midwifery when she befriended a teenage unwed mother. Does anyone else remember this?

• Love 1

I actually can't watch the proposal. It's just too manufactured for me. And then having his mother there when they walked into the Duggar's house...there was no reality in that reality TV.

• Love 5

I actually knew this was on last night, and wanted to see the Dillard part, but passed up the episode to see Lone Survivor, AGAIN.  I may see this movie a whole bunch more times, as well as Monument Men and a few others, while I'm getting the channels for free, rather than watch this show and some others for the first time.  Let me correct that.  Apparently from the comments here there was indeed very little "first time" in this show.

As much as Jill has been getting on my nerves lately, I'm actually happy she had other showers. A bridal shower with two dozen crying babies sounds like a nightmare to me. It also looked like Venessa barely had any food for the guests, other than a cake that didn't look nearly big enough for the amount of people who were there. What is it with Fundies and not feeding people?

I'm loving how much Josh is wearing his bitch panties ever since Jill got that nice big house. He pretty much confirmed what we all suspected: Jill was the family snitch growing up. Jana tried to rephrase it as Jill making sure the others were "accountable." Nice try, Jana.

I know I'm a bitch for saying this, but looking at the pictures of Jill and Derick as they were growing up, I couldn't help but think that Baby Dilly is going to have one hell of an awkward phase when he hits puberty.

I bet some of the older kids are happy Jill is gone. She goes to mommy and daddy about everything. Now Jana has the passwords?

• Love 2

Also I remember hearing that Jill first became interested in midwifery when she befriended a teenage unwed mother. Does anyone else remember this?

I remember reading this, but couldn't for the life of me tell you when and where.  But yes, it was definitely not the Josie saga that kindled Jill's interest.  That doesn't even make sense - there's no way a midwife would be present for an emergency c-section at a 25-weeks-gestation pregnancy.

• Love 4

I remember reading this, but couldn't for the life of me tell you when and where. But yes, it was definitely not the Josie saga that kindled Jill's interest. That doesn't even make sense - there's no way a midwife would be present for an emergency c-section at a 25-weeks-gestation pregnancy.

Thanks for remembering. Sometimes we see or read something and then the Duggars change it so it makes me second guess myself sometimes.

From what I could see the food that was served at Jill's midwife client shower was more substantial than the popcorn the Duggars served to 1,000+ guests for Jill's wedding!

I, would have rather watched excerpts from the "family and friends" bridal shower than a playgroup baby one. It would have been nice to hear 1 or 2 sentence comments from DERICKDILLARD'S family and relatives about the upcoming event, even though they might not want to be "regulars' on this TV show, it's common for the guests to comment when in attendance at weddings and showers. Too bad Jill doesn't have any friends her own age to invite to these things.

Oh, yes, I, too remember Jill being interested in delivering babies from that mysterious "14 year old friend" who was pregnant, not Miracle Josie's situation. They keep re-inventing history here and it's sloppy of them as things are documented. Stick to the truth, here, Duggars.

• Love 4

At this point Michelle probably genuinely believes Jill found her calling or whatever because of herself and Miracle Josie.  If something isn't totally about Michelle, she finds a way to make it be so.

• Love 8

After reading so many comments about Josie and how viewers think she is behind in development I started watching for it but truly haven't seen it.  Her behavior is that of a spoiled princess but speech wise she seems to be doing ok, I could understand her and the last talking heads she wasn't copying a sibling.  

She is doing far better than a child on another reality show!

• Love 3

For a child who's nearly five I think her speech is way, way behind where it should be.  I used to work with kids Josie's age and younger, and she would've definitely stood out, language wise. 

• Love 4

For a child who's nearly five I think her speech is way, way behind where it should be.  I used to work with kids Josie's age and younger, and she would've definitely stood out, language wise. 

I guess I my filter is off.  What I see on another reality show is another child's speech being behind at about the same age.

Edited by jodo
  • Love 1

A lot of people are snarking on the baby-filled wedding shower, but I liked seeing evidence that Jill was actually involved in something outside of the Duggar compound. (It could just be because I missed the older episodes about her midwifery when they aired though). I hope she continues with it, although the chances of that are basically zero....

Also, did anyone else laugh at how unnatural the word "babies" sounded coming out of Jessa's mouth?

I love that Joy Anna said that Jill had raised her since she was born. Jim Bob trying to explain the buddy system away with the idea that it was only for when they were out so kids didn't get lost was hysterical. If that's truly what the buddy system was, no one would have any problem with it. How did keep track of them while out morph into wake them, dress them, feed them, teach them?

The bank-rupt-cy lesson never gets old. Homefooling at its finest!

It's so obvious that these girls have been literally raising their siblings. MEchelle has some nerve accepting a mother of the year award. She's a joke.

Does anyone know the other buddy teams? I was trying to figure out when they started it, who got out of buddy duty, etc. If Jill insisted that the new baby be her buddy does that mean they started with the previous baby (Joseph) and he went to Jana? Was Josiah never on a buddy team either?

I read that Jana's buddies are Jason, Jackson & Josie.

Jill has Joy-Anna, James & Jennifer.

Jessa has Jeremiah, Justin & Jordyn.

Jinger has Jedidiah, Johanna.

I wonder why Jill and Jessa got buddies before Jana did.

I haven't watched the news closely lately, but thought it was a former pope being canonized for sainthood.  After watching this, I'm thinking maybe it's Jill?  It is definitely "All About Jill."

Got a chuckle when Derrick mentioned what a wonderful, "supportive" fiancé she was being, texting him at work with wedding ideas.

Joyless Anna is NOT looking forward to being Buddy Team Leader!  Agree with Jackson that it should be John, since "he doesn't have buddy, isn't a buddy, isn't in a buddy team, and doesn't even have a GIRL."

I remember reading this, but couldn't for the life of me tell you when and where.  But yes, it was definitely not the Josie saga that kindled Jill's interest.  That doesn't even make sense - there's no way a midwife would be present for an emergency c-section at a 25-weeks-gestation pregnancy.

Yup, here it is:

Hey, Jill here!  These days, I’m staying busy, buried in the books and delivering babies, amidst the exciting Duggar life. For those of you who were wondering about how I started delivering babies, I’ll tell you the story.

Back a few years ago, I had the opportunity to attend 12 weeks of childbirth classes with my 14-year-old friend, who was a single mom...

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/jill-jana-duggar-midwifery.htm

Edited by JerseyGirl
  • Love 1

Let the Jill-fest commence!

* J'Chelle needs to cut back on the spray tanning.  She is incandescent orange.  

* Jim Boob used the word "compliant" when describing Jill's childhood demeanor.  Hmm.

* Jim Boob's little joke about what Jill and Derick are most looking forward to.  Ugh.  I guess I'm just not used to fathers making sexual quips about their daughters, silly me!

* Poor Joy . . . she really is losing her mother.  I feel so sorry for her.  J'Chelle is absolutely shameless.  Do you think she realizes how "lucky" she is to have successful beaten her daughters into emotional submission so that she can wash her hands of the vast majority of her maternal responsibilities?  That's not a rhetorical question.  I can't imagine pawning off my daughter on someone else.  Joy will not only lose her mom, but she'll be pushed into the buddy-mom role for her younger siblings. 

* The focus on how Jill and Derick hugged.  I am utterly sick of hearing about the vertical contact of two grown-ass people.

* I don't think the elder Duggars realize what a shark-jumping moment this whole thing is.  How can they possibly top this extravaganza with future marriages?  We've seen it all by now, and I mean ALL.  Like, ad nauseam, to the point of ridiculousness.  Where can they possibly go from here?

What can they possibly say about Jessa after this Jill-fest when (and if) her wedding comes along?  "Well, Jana pretty much tells it like it is."

...Derek's story was the most interesting part of the episode. It will be interesting to see if his son will get to be a Scout and go to the big camp in New Mexico (as the picture suggested that Derek and his parents did). Will baby Dillard get a cap and gown? Will baby Dillard ever wear a 101 Dalmations shirt or have a stuffed Simba, like his dad?

I hope Derek doesn't sell out his sons future to please Jim Bob.

I think Derek has already sold out to the Duggar Family. As a mother of a son myself, I've been thinking of Derek's mother during the "wedding" episodes. There's usually that fine line a mother-in-law walks with her daughter-in-law, in general. Lots of bite your tongue moments to be had, generally speaking. However, this case is quite different...off the charts, actually. I don't even know where to begin to list all of the concerns I'd have if my son were marrying into the Duggar family.

Josh has been letting a number of little comments fly recently. To me, he and Anna are the most interesting part of the show, as they are, in my opinion, finally growing up and establishing real identities separate from the family.

Derrick, I'm afraid, is heading in the opposite direction.

The best thing that happened to Josh and Anna was the move to Washington D.C. Yes, they still have the same belief system they were taught as children BUT my guess is it's been diluted a bit due to maturity and DISTANCE from it all.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 2

JimBoob is absolutely obsessed with sex. His smirking response that Derick would be looking forward to what would happen after the wedding was gross and completely inappropriate. He's like a snickering immature schoolboy, only worse because he's talking about his own daughter. Just sick.

J'Chelle should be ashamed to admit that she made slaves out of her older girls, making them raise their younger siblings. Instead she revels in it, knowing she got away with abdicating her responsibility as a parent. Normally, protective services would move in when children are being neglected by a parent. Too bad that never happened here.

I had the feeling Derick's mother is tolerating this whole weird situation, but it's not what she would have chosen for him. His brother just thinks the whole thing is ridiculous.

Saddest moment of the preview is when poor Jennifer is crying because she's about to lose her mother, and JimBoob is the one trying to comfort her while J'Chelle is, as always, MIA.

Unless I'm mistaken, the one crying in the wedding preview (besides Joyless Anna, who can't seem to stop) was Jordan and not Jennifer.

• Love 2

I'm actually not someone who is interested in saying X belief is right or wrong. I am nothing if not passionate about the freedom to choose your own religious beliefs. I just want to know that those beliefs are honestly chosen. There is no getting around the fact that Derrick, should he be a bigger part of the Duggar family, sincerely and wholeheartedly sought out and chose those beliefs. And I think Jill has always chosen them - between her natural temperament and upbringing, I think she's a done deal. I think some of us are disappointed that the choices didn't go in the other direction, but the important thing to me is their freedom to choose.

Right now I see Josh and Anna working through what they will keep and not keep. They will keep most of it (and for most of us, his job unfortunately will mean keeping some of the aspects we find most unfortunate) but they also are actively choosing.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Jessa and Ben.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 2

The fact that the best word Jim Bob could come up with to describe Jill was "compliant" says everything we need to know about these people and what they value in a person. I can't remember which boy said it, but the other head scratcher was describing her as "useful". 

As for their engagement, that god damn song gets stuck in my head all the freaking time.

• Love 2

If the little crying girl is Jordyn, I stand corrected. Still, it's sad that on what should be a happy occasion, the little sibling is so upset. Since Jordyn's buddy is the very non-maternal Jessa, it's quite possible she's grown close to the more nurturing Jill. I agree with GEML that Derick is now accepting of and living the Duggar life. Those who expect Baby Dill to follow in his dad's footsteps as a boy scout and public university student are in for a reality check.

The little girl crying in next week's preview was Jordyn, not Jenny. Honestly the way the older Duggars have been talking you'd think none of them are ever going to see Jill again. No wonder the little ones are confused and scared. I also feel bad when people harp on Jessa for not being more maternal towards Jordyn. Jordyn is Michelle's child, not Jessa's. It's not Jessa's responsibility to make sure the kid receives love and attention. It's great (and sad) that Jill and Jana were willing to pick up that slack, but I'm not going to criticize Jessa for being indifferent to raising her mother's children.

• Love 12

I read that Jana's buddies are Jason, Jackson & Josie.

Jill has Joy-Anna, James & Jennifer.

Jessa has Jeremiah, Justin & Jordyn.

Jinger has Jedidiah, Johanna.

I wonder why Jill and Jessa got buddies before Jana did.

I assumed Jana's first buddy has outgrown the buddy system. Who's the one before Joy Anna? Or maybe she was in charge of all the others before they started assigning primary care duties.

• Love 1

Yup, here it is:

Hey, Jill here!  These days, I’m staying busy, buried in the books and delivering babies, amidst the exciting Duggar life. For those of you who were wondering about how I started delivering babies, I’ll tell you the story.

Back a few years ago, I had the opportunity to attend 12 weeks of childbirth classes with my 14-year-old friend, who was a single mom...

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/jill-jana-duggar-midwifery.htm

Where did Jill find such a heathen to befriend?

• Love 5

I bet some of the older kids are happy Jill is gone. She goes to mommy and daddy about everything. Now Jana has the passwords?

Agree. For all of the "We're going to miss Jill so much..." and "OMG, it's going to be so weird when Jill doesn't live here anymore..."comments, I think the older kids will be pleasantly-surprised. One less will make a difference, even in a family their size. I was oldest of six kids and remember hearing about comments made around the dinner table the first night after I'd left for my freshman year in college. Both sibs & parents were delighted just to have a little more elbow room at the table. I'm guessing that may have been when Mom and Dad started their countdown "One down, five to go..." The little Duggars that Jill is sister-mom to will genuinely miss her - I saw a clip where one of them is really distraught - at the wedding I think??  But I think the older kids will be very happy, especially if Jill really was Momma and Daddy's mole. Something I can completely see her being BTW.

• Love 1

The likelihood that baby Dill will be a Boy Scout, attend a camp other than ALERT, see the inside of a public school classroom, and otherwise enjoy the kind of normal upbringing Derick had is slim to nil. Jill is a true believer and as far as Boob is concerned, Derick is now a Duggar. The pressure on him to do things the Duggar way will continue to be enormous. He followed the courtship rules, went along with the root beer float no dancing wedding, moved into a Boob owned house, and got Jill pregnant within days of the I do's. Pretty sure bet that unless Derick wakes up and seriously grows a pair, all of his children will be homeschooled using ATI materials and fully indoctrinated into Gothardism.

Agree completely. I had hopes that Derick would not drink the Kool-Aid but those are dwindling fast. If he's going to assert himself, he's going to have to do it very soon or it just won't happen. Both Boob and Jill are dominant controllers.  Unless his own family gives him a good shaking - and soon - Derick will be DerickDillardDuggar permanently. 

• Love 3

Agree. IMO as a teacher [kindergarten, first grade] Josie is indeed developmentally-delayed in speech. And probably in other areas as well which they don't film. It's quite clear just by comparing her behavior in THs to those of Jordyn and Jennifer at the same ages, just a couple of years ago. One thing I strongly believe she may have to a certain extent is ADHD.

The fact that the best word Jim Bob could come up with to describe Jill was "compliant" says everything we need to know about these people and what they value in a person.

Well, as a child I was rather "compliant" but that was the kind of child I was. It had nothing to do with my parents.

• Love 2

I guess I my filter is off.  What I see on another reality show is another child's speech being behind at about the same age.

But it's important to remember the other child was't hearing correctly for years, was adjusting to a whole new family, culture and language at the same time too. If Josie is having difficulty hearing, it doesn't seem apparent.

• Love 1

Absolutely, NausetGirl. JimBob would never have given his blessing if he thought for one second that Jill's husband would want her to compromise her beliefs. He must have been confident that Derick would toe the party line, and, thus far, he has.

If the child you're referring to is Will Klein, he's involved in speech therapy because his speech is indeed quite delayed.  (Moreso than Josie's I'd say.  Which makes sense when you consider what he's gone through in his life.)

But now that it's been mentioned, I wonder if Josie's ever had a hearing test.  Even if it's not related to the circumstances of her birth, it's possible that's part of her speech issues.  My cousin's son was hard to understand, too; turned out he couldn't hear very well.  I would think a micropreemie would have had hearing tests at some point, but if she hasn't, who knows? 

• Love 1

Absolutely, NausetGirl. JimBob would never have given his blessing if he thought for one second that Jill's husband would want her to compromise her beliefs. He must have been confident that Derick would toe the party line, and, thus far, he has.

...and they don't have to worry about Ben. That young man is as pliable as Play Dough. He's a sitting duck!

Three down and 16 to go. I wonder how many of them (if any) will revolt? Offspring have been venturing in their own direction, at the onset of adulthood, for centuries no matter how they were raised.

• Love 1

No Josiah! (that I noticed)

I hope he's escaped, but I doubt it. Shouldn't he be back in time for the wedding?

Especially since everyone else showed up for the wedding last week. 

Josiah appeared briefly giving Anna the side hug as she exited the vehicle upon arriving for the wedding; both he and (I think?) Joseph were donning those blue "camp" t-shirts?  He was sporting a military-style buzz-cut. 

Edited by joanofarch4

And imagine that kid's teeth! If he gets Derrick's tiny jaw and Jill's giant Jim Bob horse teeth they will make their orthodontist very rich.

Will we get to see Jill squeezing that big Dugger head out in the oval bathtub next season?

• Love 3

See, I think Jessa and Ben are the dark horse in the couples race. They obviously want something (sex) and this have the most incentive to play along to get it. But I also think they know better than anyone that it's a game and it's rigged. I don't think we know who they really are. I don't think they know who they are. What's interesting is that they could go full blown fundamentalist on JB and Michelle and basically accuse them of selling out via the television show. I've know quite a few Fundy children who turned around and accused their own parents of being too liberal and prayed for them to be saved from the fires of hell.

I'll make popcorn for all of us, just in case.

• Love 1

At this point Michelle probably genuinely believes Jill found her calling or whatever because of herself and Miracle Josie.  If something isn't totally about Michelle, she finds a way to make it be so.

Yep. It's called gaslighting. We all need to sign up for Michelle's version of truth.

• Love 1

Most of us just do the math when we want to adjust the recipes we have.  Another SOTDT fail.

I just wanted to point out that the Duggars do not represent the normal in "dining room table school'. My girls are homeschooled and my oldest is getting straight A's in college (full academic scholarship) as a microbiology major. My current high schooler got 2250 on her SATs as a freshman. They are very well educated and we take homeschooling seriously. The vast majority of the people I know who homeschool do it very well. 

Edited to add that I educate them even though they are girls. They date. They are athletes. They have friends. They are allowed to pick whatever they want to major in and they are encouraged to live on their own before deciding whether or not to get married. :-)

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 4

I'm not saying that Jill and Derrick's children would be QUITE in that range :) but Jill is better hands on with younger children than her mother is, and more musical, which would likely mean a better overall basic education than she received. And if Derrick takes on something like Cub Scout leader, that's going to put them on a different path altogether, no matter what. And small things like that make a big difference.

But I think the older kids will be very happy, especially if Jill really was Momma and Daddy's mole. Something I can completely see her being BTW.

I think it would be a huge relief for them all to have the mole out of the house. I believe (though I have no specific proof) that part of JB and J'chelle's "parenting" style involves encouraging the siblings to narc on each other for "accountability" or some similar buzzword.

If one child mentions to a sibling that s/he wonders what it would be like to date, or go to the movies with friends, or read Harry Potter, or watch tv, or whatever, then they are immediately ratted out by the sibling so that the parents can drag the free-thinker to the prayer closet and pray over them and harangue them until they are brought back into line.

So maybe with Jill out of the house, they will be able to breathe a little easier and talk a little (even a very little) more openly.

I think that might be a little of what we are seeing in Josh and Anna. Now, after six years of marriage, and 1000 miles of separation from Arkansas, they are talking to each other a little bit more openly and trying to figure out what it is that they actually believe, and what they want for their own children.

• Love 6

So will the next season be all about Jessa? Why didn't Josh get this much attention during his courtship? They were not all giddy with giggles over his relationship. When Jim Bob was in the bedroom on the previous episode he said something about the room like "this is where you will make babies". Not an exact quote. It was strange. I liked the show when it showed them shopping, cooking & budgeting for a large family. Now that the older kids are older it's boring & odd. The episode where Jim Bob had them handcuffed to each other, I had to FF through it. I will say that Derrick Dillard (they always have to use their last names of the guys) is a better catch then Ben Sewald. Ben seems like a goof & not that bright.

Yes.  I am sure she does.  Seeing a forty something mother of 18 children deliver a preemie and sit at a hospital with Miracle for six months (ignoring the other 18) would sure make me want to deliver babies (said with a sweet precious voice of course).

they are talking to each other a little bit more openly and trying to figure out what it is that they actually believe, and what they want for their own children.

This is what scares me the most about the constant chaperoning. How can you possibly tell your future mate that maybe you don't believe exactly what your parents do or maybe you want something different than is currently being allowed by your parents. You can't say anything real to the other person because someone is always watching. Maybe when you get 1000 miles away and can finally be yourself you can grow together but it seems more likely it will be a disaster. 

• Love 4

After reading so many comments about Josie and how viewers think she is behind in development I started watching for it but truly haven't seen it. Her behavior is that of a spoiled princess but speech wise she seems to be doing ok, I could understand her and the last talking heads she wasn't copying a sibling.

She is doing far better than a child on another reality show!

Well it seems Josie hasn't been swatting at the invisible butterflies in the TH's like she was doing in the past. That may be a little improvement.

We should send MEchelle that article about Jill & the midwifery beginnings to refresh her mind "that the world does not revolve around Josie." MEchelle's hair looked so much nicer in the picture with the article than the rat's nest she's sporting now.

. Now that the older kids are older it's boring & odd. The episode where Jim Bob had them handcuffed to each other, I had to FF through it.

Even if you don't fast forward through the new stuff, you still must spend half your time forwarding.  At the end of every clip, they spend time talking about what is coming up after the commercial.  And then, half of the show is show is clips we have seen twice before.  And so, my deduction is that about 8 minutes is new stuff.  

I can only assume that the crew is tired of the crap and refuse to work too much in the house of horrors.  In their defense, they have howlers and littles crawling all over them- smearing tater tot casserole on their mics and cameras.  They constantly have to deal with sickness and grossness.  I can only imagine that the crew needs a barf cup most of the time as well. 

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 3