Type keyword(s) to search

Plastic Surgery Run Amok, or Renee Zellweger: What Were You Thinking?

• Start Topic

Kenny Rogers had some drastic (meaning bad-looking) plastic surgery a few years back.

I will say that, in spite of having issues with a lot of her political beliefs, Stacey Dash has aged PHENOMENALLY well (she was already 28 when she played Dee in Clueless!).

• Love 2
Kenny Rogers had some drastic (meaning bad-looking) plastic surgery a few years back.

In his case though, if you didn't know what he looked like before, he might not look so bad now.  He's in some commercial and to me he actually looks normal now.

Going back to RZ, here are some photos from March, 2015, in which I think she looks more like "herself" than in the photos that surfaced in October, 2014.  Does cosmetic surgery take a while to "settle"?  It's bizarre.

That might be the case. There's a real plastic surgeon who posts on this daytime soap forum I go to (not here), and in a thread about plastic surgery for soap stars, he always says this: "Nothing heals bad work like time."

Of course, I don't think RZ's work was actually bad, but there you go. (My main conclusion at the time is that she now looks like Glenn Close but with longer hair.)

Edited by UYI

He's got a rep as a hard drinker, he has to work out like a fiend to keep up the Captain America physique when he's shooting Marvel movies, and it's pretty obvious his natural hairline is racing for the back of his collar. I think all those are combining to age him in the face faster than one would expect.

As for the gold medal in slamming the door in Father Time's face, I give you Donna Mills in the early 1980s and Donna Mills last year. Though I'm not at all certain the credit goes to plastic surgery; I suspect black magic may be somehow involved.

She does look pretty incredible, and like you I'm not entirely sure she's had any surgery at all. Unlike her old KL co-star Joan Van Ark, who now resembles a melted corpse.

• Love 1

She does look pretty incredible, and like you I'm not entirely sure she's had any surgery at all. Unlike her old KL co-star Joan Van Ark, who now resembles a melted corpse.

Yeah. Thanks to that bad surgery, I think Joan Van Ark pretty much ended her career--except for Dallas or Knots Landing reunions, perhaps. Sheesh.

Another case of bad surgery is/was Elvis Presley's ex-wife, Priscilla--who was a really beautiful woman who I thought didn't need any work, before she started messing with herself. She had a real "goth" look after her work, & I think I read someplace she actually somehow ended up being worked on by 1 of those really bad doctors who were found to be using materials for fillers, & whatever, that the FDA didn't approve for such use & which had NO business being put into a person's body... Which is at least partly why she looked so bad.

After she was on Dancing with the Stars awhile back, I think she (like Kenny Rogers also supposedly did) went & had/tried to have the less than stellar original work fixed, to the extent it could be. Presumably by a better doctor than the original. I think she looks at least a little better than she did before, though not quite as beautiful as she did back when she was doing the original Dallas.

OTOH, it truly is possible that Gwen has thinned out over time. I've seen pictures of her as a teenager--I guess mostly from the early years of No Doubt--and she was a little bit chubbier back then. She apparently joined her swim team in high school mainly to drop some of the excess weight she had.

OTOH, it truly is possible that Gwen has thinned out over time. I've seen pictures of her as a teenager--I guess mostly from the early years of No Doubt--and she was a little bit chubbier back then. She apparently joined her swim team in high school mainly to drop some of the excess weight she had.

.....which I found kind of funny (I've heard the same thing) because swim team has bulked up everyone I know who was on it. I thought Gwen looked fine with her swimmer's shoulders, by the way.

Rupert Everett was so handsome.  I think plastic surgery is the norm among the Hollywood set, so I rarely believe in "natural" beauty anymore.  Still, he really got a botched up job. Subtlety, people!

What was ever wrong with his face that required work? He was very attractive. Madness!

Wouldn't extra weight in the face make one look younger, as opposed to a gaunt face? I lost some weight recently, and my face immediately aged about five years. I think she does Botox and fillers, personally.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 1

Wouldn't extra weight in the face make one look younger, as opposed to a gaunt face? I lost some weight recently, and my face immediately aged about five years. I think she does Botox and fillers, personally.

It would.  An older friend of mine told me when it I was in the middle of my weight loss program that one day I'd have to decide between my waistline and my face.  I lost the amount of weight that I wanted to and wasn't crazy about how my face looked.  Now I'm 8lbs heavier and I love how much better my face looks--and how much younger.  I saw Gwen on The Voice last night and I think it's just good botox. 

• Love 2

I think Keanu got botox and a little eyework, but otherwise, it's still his recognizable and fantastic face.

I always thought his peer Sandra Bullock also looks pretty great- I'm positive she's had work but she's still generally recognizable as herself and she doesn't look unnatural.

Keanu was on Today with KLG and Hoda yesterday; and while the whole scenario was kind of cringeworthy, he looked very, very good (and was polite and a good sport, as we all expect him to be).  If he has had work, he chose well.  If he hasn't had work, he's got amazing genes.

• Love 1
Keanu was on Today with KLG and Hoda yesterday; and while the whole scenario was kind of cringeworthy, he looked very, very good (and was polite and a good sport, as we all expect him to be).  If he has had work, he chose well.  If he hasn't had work, he's got amazing genes.

I think he does have great genes and the wonderful personality probably helps too. However, I think he's gotten a little work done. Chosen well and nothing major, probably some fillers here and there. I've spoken to someone who has worked with him briefly. He's quite thin in real life and a regular smoker so the work can offset the effects of that.

• Love 1

Aren't most actors (male and female) abnormally thin? I've met a few, and ultimately came to realize how TV and film distorts body image - what may look like a normal body on the big screen is...not in real life.  It's never discussed, but it takes a toll on the face, and I assumed a significant reason why men and women get the procedures to start with.  

• Love 1
(edited)

That's generally true, ribboninthesky1.  I saw Gillian Anderson in person a couple of years ago and was amazed at how tiny she was.  A friend sat next to Jon Hamm on a plane two years ago (lucky gal!), and said he looked much thinner than he appears on-screen as well.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 2

It's never discussed, but it takes a toll on the face, and I assumed a significant reason why men and women get the procedures to start with.  

Yes. Keanu doesn't even look as thin as he use to in the 90s/early 2000s. It's also another reason smoking is prominent among the acting set. Even the best A-listers work odd hours for night shoots and they don't exactly have regular meals.

A lot of actors are also known for having large heads for their bodies for the same reason. Camera does add weight and distort the physical body. I'm an amateur photographer and you still see things differently through the camera/photos than you would with a mirror.

I remember a poster once saw Beyonce up in Scotland, and remarked that she was thin. Now, Beyonce is viewed as a celeb who's a bit fuller, so it puts things into perspective. Some of these celebs must be very very thin in real life.

Al Pacino has done something to his nose. He looked really different for while, his nose became more hawkish, more angular. I remember a friend of his remarked that he has issues with his Italian heritage. I was disappointed to read this.

Edited by greenbean

I think he does have great genes and the wonderful personality probably helps too. However, I think he's gotten a little work done. Chosen well and nothing major, probably some fillers here and there. I've spoken to someone who has worked with him briefly. He's quite thin in real life and a regular smoker so the work can offset the effects of that.

Aww, too bad about the smoking.  

I remember a poster once saw Beyonce up in Scotland, and remarked that she was thin. Now, Beyonce is viewed as a celeb who's a bit fuller, so it puts things into perspective. Some of these celebs must be very very thin in real life.

I watched The Other Woman with Leslie Mann, Cameron Diaz, and Kate Upton and kept having these crazy internal arguments with myself because there was the crazy, brainwashed voice in my head saying, "Geez, Kate Upton looks fat."  And then the rational parts of my brain screaming, "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU??!!  SHE'S FUCKING GORGEOUS!!!!"  Our reference points are that fucked up.

ETA: I just Wiki'ed her - she's 5'10" and her measurements are (allegedly) 33-25-36 so ... she's definitely not fat.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

33-25-36 -????

I think that first number is wrong.

Just to add to this conversation, the handful of actors/ actresses I've met, they have all been smaller in "real life" than how they come across on TV/ movies. I was shocked to find out I was taller than Sylvester Stallone. (Yet Bill Pullman was taller than I thought)

• Love 2

Yes. Keanu doesn't even look as thin as he use to in the 90s/early 2000s. It's also another reason smoking is prominent among the acting set. Even the best A-listers work odd hours for night shoots and they don't exactly have regular meals.

A lot of actors are also known for having large heads for their bodies for the same reason. Camera does add weight and distort the physical body. I'm an amateur photographer and you still see things differently through the camera/photos than you would with a mirror.

Oh yes, the bobblehead phenomenon. You know, I always thought Keanu was attractive, but he didn't get yummy for me until he was older. So you bring up a valid point about him being less thin, and I think had that a lot to do with it for me.    

And I imagine the camera distortion doesn't include Photoshop or other image manipulation? 

I watched The Other Woman with Leslie Mann, Cameron Diaz, and Kate Upton and kept having these crazy internal arguments with myself because there was the crazy, brainwashed voice in my head saying, "Geez, Kate Upton looks fat."  And then the rational parts of my brain screaming, "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU??!!  SHE'S FUCKING GORGEOUS!!!!"  Our reference points are that fucked up.

ETA: I just Wiki'ed her - she's 5'10" and her measurements are (allegedly) 33-25-36 so ... she's definitely not fat.

In truth, I have to catch myself from doing this as well. (American) Entertainment, and I include fashion in this, has truly fucked up perceptions of what the average body looks like. With Upton, I think part of the issue is that she doesn't have the desired hourglass figure.  We get so used to cinched/tiny waists that thicker waists = fat.   Until I saw a few celebrities in person, I didn't realize how deep the social conditioning was, especially towards women. God bless the women who have to navigate that bullshit in Hollywood, let alone regular life.       

• Love 6

A lot of actors are also known for having large heads for their bodies for the same reason.

Yeah, the Bobblehead look that results when someone whittles their body down to something thinner than it should naturally be given their frame.

Oops, I didn't see this was already mentioned.

Edited by Bastet

Yeah, the Bobblehead look that results when someone whittles their body down to something thinner than it should naturally be given their natural frame.

Oops, I didn't see this was already mentioned.

The old Television Without Pity snark term for that was Lollipop Heads.

I watched The Other Woman with Leslie Mann, Cameron Diaz, and Kate Upton and kept having these crazy internal arguments with myself because there was the crazy, brainwashed voice in my head saying, "Geez, Kate Upton looks fat."  And then the rational parts of my brain screaming, "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU??!!  SHE'S FUCKING GORGEOUS!!!!"  Our reference points are that fucked up.

I had that reaction when I was watching Say Anything back somewhere in the mid-2000's at the height of the size 00 craze, and I thought Diane Court looked kind of fat.

Anyway, topic...I feel like the patron saint of this thread is Mickey O'Rourke. (I'd say Michael Jackson but he was never a movie star.) It is fucking tragic what he did to his face. Just utterly tragic. He started jacking up his face to fix damage from his boxing career, and it just snowballed, apparently.

Rose McGowan is another case of someone who got corrective surgery to fix damage, and apparently couldn't stop. Her face was so unique and interesting, and now she just looks plastic. She should have gotten whoever fixed Jason Priestly's face, because they did a fantastic job on him.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Rose McGowan is another case of someone who got corrective surgery to fix damage, and apparently couldn't stop. Her face was so unique and interesting, and now she just looks plastic. She should have gotten whoever fixed Jason Priestly's face, because they did a fantastic job on him.

Wow, I did not realize the extent of the damage to Jason Priestly's face.  I remembered that he broke his back and feet, but I didn't know that they had to rebuild his nose and the left side of his face (including somehow removing and then putting his eyeball back in his skull, yikes!)  Kudos to that doctor, because not only can you not tell that he had any sort of massive reconstruction, he looks just as handsome as he did when he was on Beverly Hills 90210 (and looks identifiably like himself).

• Love 5

Wow, I did not realize the extent of the damage to Jason Priestly's face.  I remembered that he broke his back and feet, but I didn't know that they had to rebuild his nose and the left side of his face (including somehow removing and then putting his eyeball back in his skull, yikes!)  Kudos to that doctor, because not only can you not tell that he had any sort of massive reconstruction, he looks just as handsome as he did when he was on Beverly Hills 90210 (and looks identifiably like himself).

It really was a fantastic job. Jason Priestly still looks like himself, just a middle-aged version of the guy who was such a teen idol.

I feel like Rose either got overplumped with fillers, or the surgeon who did her face hit a nerve, because I remember watching her on Nip/Tuck and being shocked at how plastic her face looked. I also think she probably got addicted, because I really don't think her face is the result of one bad plastic surgery.

Again, it's a shame. And I bet she would have aged very well- she had great cheekbones, porcelain skin she kept out of the sun, and a wonderful jawline, which tends to age great, in my opinion.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

Mark Hamill's face never fully recovered from the brutal car accident that he had before Episode IV was ever released in 1977.  The accident itself cost  him the role he was cast in in Eight is Enough because he was still recovering, and you can see how much his face had changed between the original Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 2

Mark Hamill's face never fully recovered from the brutal car accident that he had before Episode IV was ever released in 1977.  The accident itself cost  him the role he was cast in in Eight is Enough because he was still recovering, and you can see how much his face had changed between the original Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.

This article explores the Mark Hamill face thing. It's interesting- I never really thought about his face much because he never did it for me. Shame about what happened to him, but he still seems to have had a relatively okay career regardless.

Of course, the patron saint of this topic is poor, poor Montgomery Clift. It's a shame they didn't have the kind of skills that saved Jason Priestly's face back in the 1950's.

• Love 2

I know this is kind of picky, but the Artist Formerly Known as Brandon Walsh is actually named Jason Priestley. There's an extra "e" at the end of his last name. :)

Topic? Poor Meg Ryan. She ruined her cute face. :(

Whatever Sally Field has done though, if anything, was clearly done right.

• Love 2

I know this is kind of picky, but the Artist Formerly Known as Brandon Walsh is actually named Jason Priestley. There's an extra "e" at the end of his last name. :)

Sally has admitted to plastic surgery, but it's been done very, very well. I think because the aim hasn't been to try and make her look 25, just a refreshed middle-aged woman.

On the opposite side, Jamie Lee Curtis said she had failed plastic surgeries that didn't make her look younger and thinner, and so she basically said, "Fuck it."

What I never understand is how people like Meg Ryan, or Pricilla Pressley, or Mickey Rourke (or anyone with really heinous plastic surgery), who have more money than God, end up with such shitty plastic surgeons who ruin their faces.  I mean, clearly Demi Moore and Tom Cruise know exactly who to call to make them look refreshed and like themselves; if your profession rests on your face, I would aim for the best.  

I'm surprised we've gotten this far in the thread without mentioning Jennifer Gray.  I know she was self-conscious about her nose and that's why she got a nose job, but man, talk about a surgery that ruined someone's career.  She looked so distinctive and gorgeous before, and afterwards, she just looked like everyone else.  

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2

What I never understand is how people like Meg Ryan, or Pricilla Pressley, or Mickey Rourke (or anyone with really heinous plastic surgery), who have more money than God, end up with such shitty plastic surgeons who ruin their faces.  I mean, clearly Demi Moore and Tom Cruise know exactly who to call to make them look refreshed and like themselves; if your profession rests on your face, I would aim for the best.  

I'm surprised we've gotten this far in the thread without mentioning Jennifer Gray.  I know she was self-conscious about her nose and that's why she got a nose job, but man, talk about a surgery that ruined someone's career.  She looked so distinctive and gorgeous before, and afterwards, she just looked like everyone else.  

Although I also believe that Meg Ryan fucked up her face I've had others argue that she hasn't had structural work done, it's just fillers and freezing.  I can see how celebrities are psychologically forced into cosmetic alterations (if I were famous there would be ETERNAL baby rumours -- no, I just had some Chipotles fuck off) but I don't understand how they seem so delusional about the results.  One of the people I felt really sad about was Christa Miller of Drew CareyScrubs, and Cougar Town fame.  I tuned into a late-season Scrubs and she looked like the Joker!!  I hoped it was a joke on the show, not her actual face.  What particularly bothered me about it is that she worked for her husband and I (in my own delusional way) feel like as both her husband and employer he should have been able to talk her down from that ledge.  (I know this is unfair but you know what I mean.)

Jennifer Grey alleges that she wasn't getting work because of her nose, even post-Dirty Dancing, which is why she had the nose job.  (On the flip side -- have you ever seen Castle star Stana Katic pre-nose job??  That one really worked out for her, career-wise.)

Edited by dusang

Sally has admitted to plastic surgery, but it's been done very, very well. I think because the aim hasn't been to try and make her look 25, just a refreshed middle-aged woman.

On the opposite side, Jamie Lee Curtis said she had failed plastic surgeries that didn't make her look younger and thinner, and so she basically said, "Fuck it."

Jamie Lee has great bone structure; she can afford to age gracefully (and I hope she continues to do so, without any "help")

One of the people I felt really sad about was Christa Miller of Drew CareyScrubs, and Cougar Town fame.  I tuned into a late-season Scrubs and she looked like the Joker!!  I hoped it was a joke on the show, not her actual face.  What particularly bothered me about it is that she worked for her husband and I (in my own delusional way) feel like as both her husband and employer he should have been able to talk her down from that ledge.  (I know this is unfair but you know what I mean.)

Christa Miller is/was so beautiful.  She started too early with that shit (JMO).  I've been watching some Drew Carey reruns lately, and was startled at how much she had changed during Scrubs.  I mean, she's still recognizable, but everything looks kind of pasted in place - it's just not that attractive, even after the settling down stage.

One of the people I felt really sad about was Christa Miller of Drew CareyScrubs, and Cougar Town fame.  I tuned into a late-season Scrubs and she looked like the Joker!!  I hoped it was a joke on the show, not her actual face.  What particularly bothered me about it is that she worked for her husband and I (in my own delusional way) feel like as both her husband and employer he should have been able to talk her down from that ledge.  (I know this is unfair but you know what I mean.)

Jennifer Grey alleges that she wasn't getting work because of her nose, even post-Dirty Dancing, which is why she had the nose job.  (On the flip side -- have you ever seen Castle star Stana Katic pre-nose job??  That one really worked out for her, career-wise.)

Oh God, Christa Miller and Courteney Cox on Cougar Town were exhibits 1 and 2 on "Why you don't fuck with your face."

I ....don't know if I believe that Jennifer Grey wasn't getting work because of her nose.  I am thinking that might be one of those stories she tells herself so she's not furious with herself for changing her entire look.

• Love 1

I ....don't know if I believe that Jennifer Grey wasn't getting work because of her nose.  I am thinking that might be one of those stories she tells herself so she's not furious with herself for changing her entire look.

This in-depth look at her career really seems to say that while the nosejob didn't make it easier, Jennifer Grey was basically a one-hit wonder who didn't really capitalize on her breakthrough, for a myriad of reasons.

I just saw the musical Diner, which inspired me to look up clips of the movie it's based on...again, Mickey Rourke almost hurts to watch as a young guy knowing what's going to happen to that face.

The shame is that I think he had a face that would've aged beautifully if he had left it alone, or only minimally tweaked it. Now he's pretty much on Michael Jackson level.

I think a significant part of Mickey Rourke's face going to hell had more to do drugs/boxing, I'm not saying he didn't get plastic surgery but I think his face was mess before that.

You're probably right, but man it's still a shame.

Jamie Lee has great bone structure; she can afford to age gracefully (and I hope she continues to do so, without any "help")

The thing about Jamie Lee Curtis is that she's basically accepted that she can't play the little sex pot anymore, leading to her embracing the grey hair, wrinkles, and middle-aged spread, and she's had a pretty good career playing mature, confident woman-in-charge roles.

I feel like the problem is when you still want to play the "sex pot" and use plastic surgery to try and look 25 again.

• Love 4

I think a significant part of Mickey Rourke's face going to hell had more to do drugs/boxing, I'm not saying he didn't get plastic surgery but I think his face was mess before that.

I think it's a mix of both; I know he's mentioned in a couple of interviews that he thought the plastic surgeon who fixed his face from his boxing injuries actually made his face worse.

• Love 1