Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Episode Talk

I have no clue about the technicalities, but that pie with the Nilla Wafers looked so dry and dusty to me. A bland and chalky Nilla Wafer is the last thing I'd want to waste any of my daily caloric allotment on. Even as a sweets-loving kids, I was all, "Really. People eat these? Nah." Oreos or ginger snaps, sure.

I think the Nilla Wafers were OK.  They weren't being used as is; they used them as an ingredient in their crust.  It's not different than using ginger snaps, Oreos or graham crackers.  Grinding those up and making a crust is different than using a Keebler pre-made crust.

I saw a ring of them used "as is" to decorate the top of the pie.

I don't have a view on legitimacy of this and certainly wouldn't have kicked him off, but I thought the judges might have mentioned it.

• Love 1

My personal opinion on Nilla-gate is that if they didn't want the contestants to use them, they shouldn't have them in the pantry.

One would think.  But this is Food Network where they keep truffle oil in every pantry and judges almost hyperventilate from horror if someone actually uses it.

• Love 1

Dante looks a lot like Ed O'Neill. Someone mentioned Al Bundy, O'Neill's role in Married with Children, but the minute I saw Dante I thought Jay Pritchett, the role O'Neill plays now on Modern Family.

Edited by ABay

Dante looks a lot like Ed O'Neill. Someone mentioned Al Bundy, O'Neill's role in Married with Children, but the minute I saw Dante I thought Jay Pritchett, the role O'Neill plays now on Modern Family.

Yeah, I can see both those, especially Jay Pritchett - but there's someone else, and I'm probably going to remember in the middle of the night at some point. Hopefully, it won't scare anyone when I holler it out in my half-sleep!

but there's someone else, and I'm probably going to remember in the middle of the night at some point. Hopefully, it won't scare anyone when I holler it out in my half-sleep!

If you think of it, holler it here.  Dante reminded me of someone the minute I saw him and I never did figure out who. 

I hate that David is gone and Erin is still there. Bill should have won. How can a layered cake be considered a Yule log? By it's very nature, a Yule log is rolled, IMO.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 2

I'm sad to see David leave.  He did make a Yule log  it didn't look that great and didn't seem to taste good either.  Two things about that competition 1) I didn't understand was if it was a Yule Log you had to do then how come two made a layer cake can then call it a tree stump. 2) I don't think a judge should be used as an advantage for a contestant when he is doing the judging also.  Granted Duff only made the candle but he said he could have done more. 

• Love 4

I signed up for this forum because it was the only thing I googled that allows questions/comments. If the Food Network site still does that, I can't find it. it's also very frustrating they they don't bother to post all the recipes. I got a lot of cookie ideas, for instance, but then couldn't find recipes for them on their site.

I am trying to find out how Tara got her buche de Noel to look so beautiful. Was that rosemary sprigs and cranberries? How did she apply the sugar to make them look so frosty and gorgeous? If anyone knows those tricks or can post a link to a how-to, that would be greatly appreciated :)

• Love 2

I loved David and was sorry to see him leave but I have to agree with the judges that his cake was the worst.  Compared to his previous offerings, it was rather shocking.  Even the cookies were meh. 

So now I'm rooting for Bill.  I've liked him a lot since the beginning and thought he should have won tonight.  I keep trying to see what the symbol is on the pendant he always has around his neck but the camera never stays on him long enough for me to make it out.  With his high cranium, he looks like an intellectual.  Maybe he is.

I can't say I care for Nancy Fuller.

• Love 1

So sorry to see David go.  I really liked him and he was my pick to win.  I guess the judges were right that he should have made just one cake and one nutcracker.

Not sure how Terra got her cake decorated so fast and made it look so good.  It did look beautiful.

I'm not an Erin fan either.  I love Bill's facial expressions when she wins.again!!

Bill is now my pick for the win.  I would have loved that yule log.  Bobby cracked me up with the kiss to the cheek and the yummy noises he was making.

Edited by tobysmom
  • Love 2

Oh no David!!  :(  I'm so sad.  No sooner was David out the door that I moved over to root for Bill.  He makes me laugh every episode.  I love his facial expressions, especially when Erin wins.

I thought Tara's was beautiful too!  I wish I knew how to decorate like that.  One minute she couldn't ice her cake and the next minute the cake was beautiful

I agree with the above poster about the reward being Duff helping...not fair.  To be fair though  Erin's did look like a stump.

I think Naylet should have gone just on presentation, however, they said her cake tasted delicious so that's why she was not eliminated.

• Love 1

Yes, I agree. Either Naylet or David could've gone based on presentation, but the flavor of the filling is what saved Naylet and doomed David. Was this the second time Terra had something go horribly wrong and turned it around to produce something really good?

Re: the question above about how she decorated the rosemary and berries. I figured she dipped them in simple syrup and then rolled them in decorating sugar (which is a thing, right? Icing sugar?).

Aw, David. I'll miss his desserts, colorful clothes, kewpie face and sweet disposition. But then, I like Erin as well. Honestly, she and Duff should get married; they both have that same positive and giggly personality.

Having Duff help with a contestant's cake was very odd, but I thought his candle looked kind of sad and droopy so he was no real help. I don't think it even occurred to Erin that she apparently could have had Duff make the entire cake himself. Or sat down to buff her nails and had him do the entire challenge? As everyone has said, very bizarre.

For crystal flowers, brush with egg white and sprinkle with superfine sugar.

• Love 1

I agree about Duff's work in the competition, that candle looked really bad, and i'm not saying I could do any better by any measure.  I loved the show Ace of Cakes, and to be honest Duff is good but most of the others in his staff were better than him in that show/shop.  I do know that they had time to make and remake cakes and items that didn't work out, so Duff's candle he probably wasn't happy w/it either.  I did love how he brought up how he has personally never won a baking competition ever, it was a funny moment and he is a funny guy.

So why did Naylet not tell her reason/story for the decorating of her yule log.  She mentioned it being based on a carousel, but when she presented she said nothing, and I think if she explained her reasons it wouldn't have been as bad.  As it was it was like she just saw the neon fondant and decided why the hell not.  I do agree that Naylet deserves to stay b/c as a whole she has done well in the competition and I think that's what the judges have to go on, that day's presentations and overall as well.  David's was very bland, I mean he basically focused more on the cookies than the cake, and the cookies were very basically decorated as well.  

David's was very bland, I mean he basically focused more on the cookies than the cake, and the cookies were very basically decorated as well.

I got what David was going for, I'm not sure the judges did.  He thought of the "yule logs"  as a stage, with the ballerinas performing on a stage.  The positioning of the cookies was to depict movement, dancing in unison.  at a certain angle, it was very artistic and did represent that idea.  I think he was trying too hard for that artistry, and neglected what they were judging on.  His creation was kind of tangential to the "yule log'  task, focusing on the ballerina cookies.  

I can't help but think that he brought the cookies in for the purpose of making a dessert at some point that included sugar plum fairies.  He used the idea on the wrong challenge, because there was no connection between the concept of a yule log and his cookies. 

I feel for him, though, because I think the concept of the Nutcracker play and sugar plum fairies is a much better one than a rolled cake made to look like a log

• Love 3

I forgot to say, what. the. hell. with Bobby Deen kissing a guy over bacon....I was like, seriously?!

Let's face it, none of these competitors could cut it on the Next Food Network Star w/there not being able to convey a story towards their presentation.  I mean they discuss it while cooking but when it comes time for presentation, nothing.

I hate the way they made it seem like Tara was down to seconds to figure out how to decorate/present her yule log and then we get the most beautiful presentation ever.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 2

I forgot to say, what. the. hell. with Bobby Deen kissing a guy over bacon....I was like, seriously?

Really.   I'm not saying bacon isn't delicious.  But Burger King had a chocolate bacon sundae on their menu. Every donut place is now doing some variation of a maple-bacon donut, every cupcake place has some kind of bacon cupcake.   Could we stop acting like putting a little bacon in a desert is so brilliant and unique?   It's a trend that peaked last year.

Dante reminds me of Mike Holmes from the HGTV show.

That's it!!!  Mike Holmes is better looking IMO but that's exactly who I couldn't think of.  Pardon my grammar and thank you!

• Love 1

I don't *know* anything but my guess is that the footage is from her application video or something they did behind the scenes and the commercial was made before the episodes were begun. 

I don't *know* anything but my guess is that the footage is from her application video or something they did behind the scenes and the commercial was made before the episodes were begun. 

Or maybe she gets brought back as a "helper" for one of the finalists, they do that kind of thing a lot on these shows.

• Love 3

I thought the challenge instructions were a bit confusing - We want you to make a yule loge that isn't a yule loge but we still want it to look like a log or at least part of a tree.  Their only real options were to use different ingredients/flavors or to stand it upright and call it a stump.  I think it would have been better if they said - We want you to make a traditional looking yule log but surprise us with a new take on the flavors.  

I would have liked to see how good they would be at decorating a yule log too (and I would have given them more time to do it).  Erin made the most realistic looking tree part, even though hers wasn't rolled.  I wonder if she could have turned a rolled cake on its end and made it into a stump or if it would have not been structurally sound.  There is a lot of filling in a traditional yule log, perhaps it would have been too soft to stay upright.  

Tara made a layed stump too, although it wasn't originally planned to be a stump, and she won, so apparently the weren't too concerned with it being rolled.   

I was surprised that David was out - I thought he would make it to the end for sure.  I understand the judges comments about doing one log and one ballerina and doing them better.  However, I paused the show at one point and left the room.  When I came back in and looked at the tv, I had paused it right as they showed his logs and were about to fade into the next scene (so it was a tiny bit blurry) and his dessert looked beautiful.  

• Love 1

David's log(s) were bland looking decorating wise.  He just coated them in white colored icing (not sure of then flavor of the icing) then stuck ballerina cookies on the top that were lightly decorated.  His dessert looked more like it was about the cookies than the log., like he just iced over some styrofoam for the cookies to stick into.  I could totally see why he went home.

• Love 1

Yeah, this just confirmed for me why Bill is my favorite - because, BACON!

David's concept was great, but the execution was another issue. And I'm kind of over Erin - really liked her the first couple of episodes, but it's too much now. I like Naylet, although I feel like she's out of her depth at this point, but she's working her tuckus off. And Terra, she does nice work, but she must remind me of someone that I'm not fond of, because I just can't warm up to her.

C'mon, BILL!

• Love 1

Didn't David also get dinged for having too many competing flavors going on? I agree that his execution was way off. If he hadn't explained, I would have no idea what that was on a platter. If certainly didn't look like a yule log.

After reading these posts, I was prepared to see Bobby Dean kiss Bill. However, it bugged me because it was so sudden and random and sort of serious. It would have been better if Bobby had said something like, "I'm so excited you're using bacon, that I'm going to kiss you and I will." Kudos to Bill for his non-reaction.

Yeah. Erin should have let Duff bake the actual cake. If she's ever seen "Ace of Cakes" she'd know that his staff does the majority of heavy lifting and the bakery. Duff seems like he just does the delivery, especial to some flashy event.

I'm pulling for Bill FTW.

• Love 1

Sarcasm, I assume? Since Terra's company is called Bourbon Line, I'm guessing she's not letting it go any time soon.

She has a baking company? These aren't supposed to be professionals, owning a company that makes desserts sure seems like a professional to me.

This is the FNs description of the show:

The search to find the greatest holiday baker begins as eight amateur bakers enter the kitchen, where they show off their family traditions and superb baking skills.

How is she an amateur?

I thought they all had some sort of professional connection, except Naylet? Erin manages a cake shop, Bill's a pastry chef, David is a caterer...?

I thought they were all home cook types. I didn't know they all had related careers, I don't know why they call them amateurs. 

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1

David catered  at the White House.  When you get to that level, you are a professional.

I was sorry to see David go too.  I thought he would make it to the end.  I have to say that I honestly like everyone there (except for Nancy Fuller, who can't leave my TV fast enough) it would be hard to pick ones to eliminate for me, I think.

I'm actually hoping Naylet or Tara pulls it off.  At first I liked Erin, but her over the top cutsieness has become pretty annoying.  I'm a Christmas fanatic too, but I know not to act like an 8 year old.

Regarding rolling a Yule Log vs. A stacked one, It's my understanding that either can be done.  My Dad, who was a pastry chef, always rolled his, but I've seen on European cooking shows that some stack them.  (In a log shape, not a stump shape).  I've never seen a stump, but I think it's a great idea.  However, real wood yule logs are meant to be burned, so I guess a stump wouldn't make sense.

I would have had Duff either help to make/advise on the actual cake recipe.  He was only allowed 10 minutes, so he couldn't have done the whole cake himself, however, he could at least have been involved.  Erin made a big mistake there.  I have a feeling though that maybe she wanted to prove that she's good enough to not have to fall back on someone for help for the major stuff.  I get it that it may have been a point she wanted to prove.

I wouldn't have had Duff make a candle, I would have had him put fondant on the cake instead.

Also, where were meringue Mushrooms?  Or some could have been made by cookie halve or something.  Those are adorable on a yule log and really would have made the display.

And I'm sorry, but a semi savory yule log with bacon?  Yuk!

Edited by Biosynth
  • Love 1

I thought they were all home cook types. I didn't know they all had related careers, I don't know why they call them amateurs.

I think Naylet has made several comments about her being "the only true home cook in the competition."

Good gosh I swear Erin is Duff's favorite.  Her "creativity" saves her twice and now this round when Terra was better.  I'm just so frustrated that Erin is saved yet again after two judges aren't fans of her food but Duff is.  I'm not a Terra fan but she deserved to stay above Erin who was bottom 3 for the last three challenges.

I don't understand the judging and will have to let it be at that because this show allows a judge to help a contestant in an elimination round and allow some contestants to stay because they take risks while others were sent home at the beginning. 

Edited by Crucial
  • Love 1

Gosh. Why don't they just hand Erin the win and get this over with. Even when she screws up,she moves on.

I am tired of her.

Word! She is so annoying even Tiny Tim would get pissed off at her and hit her with his little crutch.

• Love 9

I would probably normally dislike Bill's snarky attitude towards Erin.  However, she is just so annoying that I get where he is coming from. The thing is, she probably is genuinally a sweetheart, but, good lord, does she need to take it down a notch!  Please, Bill or Naylet for the win.

• Love 6

I really want to see the finish be Bill/first, Naylet/second, Erin/third. Erin just grates on me anymore!

Naylet deserved the win, her presentation was excellent. And once again, I was SUPER annoyed with Erin and her cutesy wootsyness. But good on her for giving Bill the griddle, that was classy.

I think for me, the hardest thing is even though some of the contestants have annoyed me, I haven't HATED them, any of them, so it is really hard to see them leave.

• Love 1

I would probably normally dislike Bill's snarky attitude towards Erin.  However, she is just so annoying that I get where he is coming from. The thing is, she probably is genuinally a sweetheart, but, good lord, does she need to take it down a notch!  Please, Bill or Naylet for the win.

For me, I think Bill sees Erin as a tough competitor and has said it a lot that she is the one to beat.  Ugh, my nastiness says that Duff wants her for the win.

See I originally thought she was a sweetheart but now I wonder.  We see that oh so happy face for the judges and then the cuteness for the camera.  It's probably me but I have a hard time believing someone in that "on" all the time.  I'm sure she is nice the overdoing she is showing makes it hard to believe it's real - for me that is.  I keep seeing someone in the family messing up a fruitcake, cookie, or decoration and her going postal, lol.  I'm so sorry but I see her being this way.

• Love 2