Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Episode Talk

Erin doesn't bother me but Terra and her bourbon did, so I'm glad to see her go. Naylet is really holding her own, it would be nice if the only person who really is a home cook won.

• Love 5

I was rather happy that Terra went home.  She didn't show that she can bake anything without bourbon in it!  No matter what the challenge was, she used bourbon.  Very tiring, and I think that might have been part of her downfall. 

• Love 5

Additional evidence of Duff playing to get Erin the win was his critique of Bill, who IMO is the most consistent and possibly the strongest competitor. Come on, Duff, did you really dislike Bill's food, or did you dislike it because you had to keep Erin in the game?

Erin's cutesy-wootsiness is almost enough to turn me off sweets forever. Almost.

• Love 5

I was tired of Erin's schtick after the first episode. She seriously grates on my last nerve.

I agree that Duff wants her to win, but I really hope it's one of the other two. I really like Bill and think he's been the most consistent, but I'd be fine with Naylet winning, since she's the only true amateur in the competition.

I've enjoyed this competition. Erin is the only contestant that I didn't like.

• Love 4

The thing that bugs me us you can make pancakes without a griddle. A frying pan works just fine!

This show does a poor job of explaining the challenges, such as last week's task to "reinvent" the yule log. The implication of Erin's advantage was that she was the only baker who could make pancakes and waffles -- not just use the cooking devices to make them.

• Love 2

This show does a poor job of explaining the challenges, such as last week's task to "reinvent" the yule log. The implication of Erin's advantage was that she was the only baker who could make pancakes and waffles -- not just use the cooking devices to make them.

Oh, thanks. I misunderstood.

• Love 1

I forgot to say, what. the. hell. with Bobby Deen kissing a guy over bacon....I was like, seriously?!

Let's face it, none of these competitors could cut it on the Next Food Network Star w/there not being able to convey a story towards their presentation.  I mean they discuss it while cooking but when it comes time for presentation, nothing.

I hate the way they made it seem like Tara was down to seconds to figure out how to decorate/present her yule log and then we get the most beautiful presentation ever.

All I could think when I saw Bobby kissing Bill was he was trying to show he is not racist or homophobic like his mother.  

• Love 3

Looking at the onscreen guide description of the final challenge, I'm glad Erin got to stay. It seems like the kind of thing she'll have fun with (cutesie wootsie fun, but it's only one more episode, I can cope) and I'm interested in seeing what she comes up with, mostly based on the yule log challenge.

I wish all of the contestants got to stay through the whole show and that there were running scores throughout, with the final winners and runners-up based on cumulative scores plus the final showpiece.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

I want Naylet to win out of the three, but I could see Bill pulling an upset, but I really think that Erin will be the ultimate winner.  I have a feeling that they will judge more based on overall performance throughout the competition, which is how Erin will pull ahead based on her winning like 90% of the competitions.

It seems that Nancy's doesn't care much for Bill due to his presentations not being "holiday" enough.  Duff favors Erin for her upbeat, jolly attitude.  Naylet seems to be the one all three like the most b/c she isn't a professional really, and she is just damn good and cooks w/her heart.  I was nervous for Naylet and that bread since making a bread from scratch is hard and can take a while, but I knew her bread would be awesome in the end.  I was really surprised Naylet informed the judges she has never made a bread before they tasted it, usually they don't like that b/c it's like you are putting yourself down beforehand to save face.

I wish all of the contestants got to stay through the whole show and that there were running scores throughout, with the final winners and runners-up based on cumulative scores plus the final showpiece.

I agree ABay, this was how they should have set up the competition.  

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1

I give Duff the benefit of the doubt on his preference for some of Erin's offerings because he just seems like someone who enjoys a huge glob of icing. Most culinary judges are all, "Oh! That's far too sweet!" for a lot of desserts when I know I'd be licking my lips. I eat Cinnabon and Sees fudge, for crying out loud, so that's my baseline.

It seemed that Terra lost honestly because two of her dishes were disliked slightly more than Erin's two. During the late stages of every competitive reality show, there are going to be talented contestants who go home for minor errors.

Bill being snarky is the only time I've found his personality to be remotely interesting. Mostly he's just there.

• Love 1

This is the first year I watched this show and I cannot stand Erin. The way she bobs and weaves and acts so cutesy with the judges is just annoying. I like Bill and Naylet because they act like normal people and present their food without acting like they are a Elf on the Shelf come to life. 

• Love 9

Erin's stories are starting to sound like this to me:

"On Christmas morning in my family we always got up early and hooked up the sleigh and four white horses and went caroling to all the neighbors, ending up at Claus Cructhfield's reindeer farm! We would have hot chocolate with Claus and his son little Timmy and then go home where I would make a splendid breakfast of these baked goods for my entire family and all the little children in the neighborhood! It was such a magical time! Happy day! Happy day! (swoony face)"

There is something so full of shit about her that it makes my teeth itch. She's like some Christmas ornament kewpie doll that some magician brought to life as a 'real girl'. The way she rocks back and forth on her toes and does the swoony-swishy movements when she comes in and out of the judging panel. She's like a cartoon of a woman. I don't buy her schtick at all. I suspect she's a hard drinking chain smoker who runs a puppy mill or something. There is just something completely off about her.

Yes. It's like she's an actor, playing a character. She actually reminds me of one of the cast of SNL this year. I can't recall her name, but she does a lot of skits where she plays a character a lot like Erin.

ETA Aidy Bryant! That's who it is!

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5

If I would to believe Erin she has never met a Christmas tradition she didn't like.  Totally unbelievable.  No one does all those things she pretends she does with her family EVERY Christmas.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 3

Though Erin annoys me too, I like to think that she's a pretty nice person.  I kind of wonder if production told her to really be over the top.  Foodnetwork/Cooking Channel tend to go for those over the top personalities and then tells them to amp it up.  This is why Paula Deen and Giada started out like humans, and then ended up as creepy automations.

I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't like Bill though.  His annoyance at annoyance is getting annoying.  When Tara won the quicky challenge (I think it was her) he did the same eye roll as he does with Erin.  I just get this, "I'm better than all of you people and not getting the praise I so richly deserve" attitude from him. 

Out of the group of them, I really hope Naylet gets the win.  She seems like a real person with a real talent.  And very nice to boot.

• Love 8

This is the first year I watched this show and I cannot stand Erin. The way she bobs and weaves and acts so cutesy with the judges is just annoying. I like Bill and Naylet because they act like normal people and present their food without acting like they are a Elf on the Shelf come to life.

Your assessment of her is spot on! I love Chistmas, but Erin being so over the top is making me a Scrooge. I am convinced she has been snorting some of the sugar she uses to bake!

• Love 2

Throw me into the Bill is smug category.  I understand getting annoyed that your food isn't as hot as you think to the point of winning a challenge, but keep it bottled up or for the one on one interviews.  Bill does make some interesting desserts, and to be honest when he made the fortune cookie I was interested in him, but his disdain for not winning is tiresome.  

• Love 3

I have to say that I do like these short term competitions, such as this and Halloween Wars.  They aren't too drawn out and the competitors are usually fairly likable.  In some ways, they remind me of the sorely missed Food Network Challenge show.   If I can't have that back, these shows will do.

Edited by caci
  • Love 2

I have to join everybody else who has abandoned the Bill ship. I was pulling for him until I saw his latest OTT eye-rolling and mumbled snarky comments. Talk about a sore loser. Strawberries and PEPPERMINT? Yuck!

I'm pulling for Naylet.  I doubt that she'll win, but she is the most likeable contestant. It really doesn't seem fair to pit a home cook against professionals, but then, she chose to put herself there. I thought that she kicked ass since she wasn't used to baking with peppermint or had never baked bread.

I really don't have anything else new to say about Erin. ITA that she is over-the-top annoying. However, Duff seems to really like her. Nancy seems to have a thing against Bill. Lorraine, thankfully, seems fairly impartial.

• Love 1

Nancy seems to have a thing against Bill

Nancy's issue w/Bill seems to be the fact that he is in a holiday baking competition, where presentation is everything really.  Bill is a great cook, but he doesn't seem to be much on the presentation aspect.  She has tried to help him by telling him just a few sprigs of holly, some berries, some pine needles or something could help.  When he does it's just to shut her up or her just half asses it.  The fact that he knows going into the presentation to the judges that Nancy will ding him for not making it festive at all shows that he is full of himself and thinks he is above it in a sense.  He better bring his A-game in the final challenge or else he is screwed.  I think the rule is making great food is about 75% of these challenges and presentation is 25%.  Hell Duff knows this as does Nancy b/c they both serve food to the public.

• Love 1
Strawberries and PEPPERMINT? Yuck!

I forgot about that. At the time, I rolled those two tastes around on my mental palate for a bit but could fine no way that they would possibly pair well together. I'm going to try it if I remember to buy strawberries. Candy canes I got.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Bill did lose a few points with me this week, the eye rolling was a bit over the top. And Naylet definitely rose a few points, her presentation was fantastic. I'm really interested to see what Sunday brings...

I'm with you Stacey.  I was rooting for him until this past episode where his constant eye rolling is getting to me...that and his presentation to Nancy. 

I was so so on Naylet until this weekend too.  I am changing my alliance over to her.

• Love 1

I the all contestants, and actually don't remember one on this show that I disliked to the point that I rooted against them (there may have been one or two like that, but they apparently weren't bad enough for me to remember them).  I am not fond of the British judge, and the older woman thinks she is more clever than she really is (yummy. yummy. in my tummy. tummy.)

I know people who are as happy and peppy as Erin, so I find her believable (at least in the non-talking head segments - more on that later) and she tends to make the stuff I would most want to try.  Bill wears his emotions in his eyeballs (they roll so far back they knows what his brain looks like), but I like how he mimicked Erin's voice, then, while she was laughing about it, he was apologizing.  The contestants seem to get along well and there is no sabotaging. 

As far as the talking heads - I can't pinpoint what it is but Food Network competition shows have the worst, fakest talking heads of the shows I watch.  I don't remember them being so bad on Challenge, but Food Network Star, Worst Cooks, Rachel vs. Guy, and this show all have a lot of really fake talking heads - like everyone is playing a character instead of just being a contestant. Maybe they ask the wrong questions, maybe they coach the contestants too much, or maybe they are actually scripted.  The contestants come off as bad actors rather than regular people competing on the show.   I can just imagine a producer telling Erin "can you say that a little peppier?" and, while I can believe that Naylet isn't a fan of peppermint, her talking head made it sound like she never even heard of anyone putting peppermint and chocolate together. 

Speaking of things that don't go together - strawberries with peppermint (my sil puts a one or two mint leaves in her fruit salad it is refreshing, but peppermint seems wrong to my taste buds), and tropical fruits with pumpkin (they may have holidays in the tropics, but they don't have pumpkins in the tropics).  

Of the people I know, women tend to have much bigger sweet teeth (tooths?) then the men - the men tend to go more for the fatty salty foods, like chips.  But it is just the opposite on this show.  Not just with Erin's dishes either.  For instance, the female judges thought the orange marmalade was perfect, Duff thought it was too strong and needed something like cream cheese to sweeten it. 

• Love 1

I just commented on Erin, Bill and Naylet under "Contestants."  I felt guilty for criticizing Erin, but after reading your posts, I feel better!

I've enjoyed most of these episodes except for the fruitcake battle.  I thought it was ridiculous.  How do you get the fruitcake flavor out of a fruitcake???  Besides, none of their desserts appealed to me unless maybe Bill's with the lemon sauce.  There's so much sugar on this show that I CRAVE lemons!

I'm not at all convinced that the judges add much to the show.  Their comments are very, very vague.  Is Fuller's first name Nancy?  Well, anyway, her "Yummy, yummy, yummy" is cute, but it doesn't say much.  I get the feeling that they all came there to eat.  Even Duff doesn't take things very seriously considering there's a $25,000 prize at stake.  The English gal has grown on me since the beginning.

Maybe I like snark too much, but don't you think there must be a little of it in the kitchen?  Why haven't they shown it to us?  I'd like to see a well-rounded picture of all of them.

• Love 1

I'd like to know when Bill's eye-rolling actually took place and how the producers edited it.  It occurred to me that we see the contestants come in separately to face the judges.  He wasn't even in the room while Erin was presenting her dish.  Maybe the others are watching on closed circuit TV backstage and their reactions are being filmed.  Or maybe the editors are leading us astray deliberately. 

• Love 2

The fifth photo here shows Bill mid-eyeroll as Erin is celebrating her win (I believe that's when he was grousing, "Big Surprise," but I didn't pay enough attention when I watched this). I don't dislike the guy, but his grouchiness and borderline entitlement is grating. I won't mind if he wins, but I'm not actively rooting for him anymore. 

• Love 3

I like Bill, so he probably won't win.  Erin grates on my last nerve.  I like Naylett alot.  I also liked Dante, but the thing about him that bugged me had nothing to do with his baking or his demeanor.  It was his hands.  He talked with his hands and for a big man with huge muscles, he seemed to have tiny little hands.  I also really like Bobby Dean, but like most of these types of shows hosts, he seems to take his role way to seriously.  Not sure if I like him in this role.

I'm glad to find out that I am not the only one thinking that peppermint and strawberries sound terrible together. I can't imagine any way those two things could possibly taste good together.

Erin's peppy demeanor bugs me but she does seem like a nice person. Last week she let someone know when something was about to boil over. And giving Bill the griddle was a nice gesture. Of course, that all could be producer driven.

• Love 1

If I would to believe Erin she has never met a Christmas tradition she didn't like.  Totally unbelievable.  No one does all those things she pretends she does with her family EVERY Christmas.

Ha!  She seems to have been bitten by Food Network's "You must tell a story for every recipe" bug.  Thanks a lot Food Network Star.  You've achieved the effect of me never believing any story anyone tells on the show.

All true.  I guess I sympathize with Bill because I share his sentiments but I do agree that he should have been a lot less obvious about them. 

I don't hate any of the contestant, although I think I'm more of a Naylett-for-the-win at this point, but the problem with Bill's reaction is that it's for pretty much any contestant that won.  When it was just Erin, or mostly Erin, it made sense.  She did seem to win a lot and I thought the exasperation was cute.  But then he started having it whenever he didn't win. 

Of course she won.  That was telegraphed from the beginning.  Whatever.  This is a typical Food Network Ending.  There is NO way I will believe Erin is "On" that way.  She was nothing more than a character for a show and Food Network buys this more than anything.  Good to see Duff and Food Network got their winner, lol.  For me Bill was the winner.

• Love 6

That was ridiculous!  The freaking show is about BAKING!!!!  not decorating.  I understand decorating is a big part of baking but it should not be the be all to end all.  Bill's house was not bad and decorated nicely even though it was collapsing due to their ridiculous time constraints.  But his baking was spot on and the judges loved everything he made.

Poor Naylet....her presentation was awful but she too baked some good stuff.

I think Bill was robbed.

• Love 9

So very disappointing. I could not have a conversation for more than 1 minute with Erin -- so fake and so over-the-top. Yes, she can bake but she was on the bottom 2 so many times. I wished for Bill, then Naylet....anyone but Erin. Duff, you got your favorite -- so obvious. Nancy was gracious at the end, but I am certain that is not who she would have preferred.

• Love 5

Well that was not surprising in the slightest.

Frankly I thought all three finalists didn't do amazing jobs with their displays. This show ended as it began imho, predictable and boring.

• Love 2

Bill was robbed. All of his baked goods were delicious while Erin's were awful and still she won! Remember when she was in the bottom two in the past yet slid on by because she was "ambitious" or took a risk? Bill sure didn't get that edge for going big with that chalet, did he? This sucks just like Courtney winning Masterchef did.

• Love 7

Yes, disappointed that Bill didn't win - he was definitely portrayed as the prickly one, and I think that's the way they decided early on to portray him - hence, the edit he got. He was ambitious, but they only gave them a limited time. The fact that his acceptable presentation was delicious should have won him the prize, not Erin's stunning presentation of sub-standard baked goods.

I'm glad Erin gets to pay off her student loans. I doubt that she is as ON in real life as she came across. And I hope that some backers are smart, and help Naylet and Bill set up their dreams.

• Love 2

Disappointing, just disappointing.  I would have been ok if Erin's baked goods were good or at least halfway decent, but they sounded really unappetizing.  Bill should have won for giving an above average decoration (even with the roof falling) and wonderful baked goods.  As an aside, it would have been nice if  they had some help for this final challenge.  I would have loved to have seen what they could have come up with, both in decorating and baking.

Even though I was disappointed in the ending, I still liked this show.  It was just something nice to watch for the season.

• Love 1

Ugh...well we all knew how this would all play out by the second week.  

I agree Erin's presentation was memorable, but seriously all three of her baked goods failed...that should have put her at second place at best.  

I was rooting for Naylet but damn girl, clean up your presentation more.  I'm not saying she should have had perfect lines and all that, but she could have tightened up lots of "loose threads" there considering her baked goods were all perfect.  

As for Bill, i'm not sure where I stand at, yes he was ambitious with the timeframe and all, but he didn't think outside of the box, it was more or less I did this before and it will work again considering we saw the picture of he and his girl w/the exact same design...plus the chalet was collapsing on itself, although his baked goods were perfect as well.

When it comes down to it Bill or Naylet should have been in first place, but sure as hell Erin needed to be second place due to her disastrous baked goods.

I could just see Suzie and Tusch critiquing Erin on Food Network Star.  "We love your stories about your family and how it ties into food, but your perkiness feels a little fake to us....and you're food sucked today too...we expected more from you Erin."

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 3

Every time Erin would say some form of "and my family would always do this" or "my family would eat this every Christmas morning" (your family seriously has a freaking Alice In Wonderland like tea party every year?)I was reminded of the movie American Pie "and this one time at band camp" ongoing joke. What an annoying, OTT woman she was. I hope I never have to see her on FN again.

• Love 9

Adding to my earlier comment about being bummed with this outcome: I never once believed all of those "stories" about Erin's family traditions. I get the impression that she lives in some fantasy concocted in that sugar-fairy world she tries so hard to depict. Her verbiage is out of Willy Wonka.

• Love 6

Well, crap.  Bill should have won.  I liked Naylet but her display was a mess.  I thought the fact that they telegraphed Erin's win almost from the first episode meant that there was a twist coming and she would not win.  Guess they fooled us.

• Love 5

Erin's teapot was pretty, but nothing about it said Holiday to me. Bill at least attempted a holiday design and all of his baked goods were delicious. How could they give the win to someone who had dry scones, candy that was too full of lime and her other dessert was dry too. Naylet was obviously not a professional and her design job was sloppy, but she at least had a Christmas theme. I am disappointed this show was so much about decorating versus baking. 

• Love 6

Major disappointed that Erin won. As the weeks went by, my dislike for her grew. In reality, I was disappointed by all three creations and I was expecting much more from all three. At least Bill made a house in some form, and that alone said Holiday to me. I was shocked how awful Naylet's creation was.---it was so messy. Bill was robbed.

• Love 5