Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Episode Talk

I watched the first episode and it wasn't that bad.  I like the Ace of Cakes judge but the other two ladies, eh not so much.  I don't understand how Stephanie went home before Terra.  The judges didn't like any of her cookies at all from both challenges. My first thought was they kept her because she was so focused on using alcohol in her cookies that they kept her for that.  It made no sense because at least Stephanie had some cookies that they didn't mind.  Her presentation may have been off (I didn't think it was that bad) considering the mess Terra's first cookie looked like.

I hope Erin and Dante don't last long because too much of either gets on my nerves.  Erin is so over the top with her excitement I had to hit the mute button less than half way through.  Dante please stop using your hands when you talk.  It looks so odd, as if he's told to put your hands up when you talk. Odd and out of place.  I'd much rather have the Jeff Foxworthy baking show.

I watched the first episode and it wasn't that bad. 

Crucial, where/how did you watch? It doesn't air on the Food Network (in the US) until Sunday evening, so I'm wondering if I need to make a mod note or otherwise address this so that people in one country don't get spoiled by viewers in another. I went in and added spoiler tags in the interim.

For the record, if it's aired in your country, you are free to talk about it here even if it hasn't aired elsewhere.

I saw it on demand with Comcast a few days ago.  I assumed it already aired on tv because Comcast didn't have the note "see it before it airs" like they've done with all the other shows so I didn't add spoiler tags.  Feel free to delete the post if it's a problem, no biggie really. Show isn't that important to comment on in the future anyway.

Edited by Crucial

I just watched it on OnDemand, but I won't give anything specific away. It was OK, but all the time I was thinking "I wish this was more like The American Baking Competition"

I'd much rather have the Jeff Foxworthy baking show.

Exactly

• Love 5

I liked it more than I thought I would, but I also don't understand the elimination of Stephanie over Tara. Was something edited out that we needed to hear in order to understand that?

I also agree that the Jeff Foxworthy show (America's Best Baker?) was better. But I'll keep watching this one.

I watched it on DVR this morning.  I'm hungry for cookies now!  I'm with you guys as to why did Stephanie go before Tara, especially because I'm sure there will be cakes coming up and I'd like to have seen what she could do.

OMG I cannot stand Erin.  Her little twirls and faces..who acts like that?  She reminded me of what I pictured the Dolly Sisters as when my grandmother mentioned them.  I've never seen them and this goes way back to the 60's.

Either that or the twins that danced with Tennesee Ernie Williams in I Love Lucy and the jail cell.  LOL..I'm giggling.

I'm a "fluffy" person too so I'm not discriminating.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the show.  I like Bobby Deen even though I can't stand his mother and I love Duff.  I have no idea who the judge with the English accent is but I liked her too, the other woman not so much. 

I liked quite a few of the contestants but, so far, I'm sort of fond of David. 

Either that or the twins that danced with Tennesee Ernie Williams in I Love Lucy and the jail cell. LOL..I'm giggling.

lol, you're right!  She has the same giggly demeanor!

When will this be on again, is Sunday the regular night?

I'm also disappointed that we won't get to see what Stephanie could have done with some holiday cakes.

A classic moment was when Nancy Fuller caught Duff licking his fingers and she admonished him, "You used your hands." Pot meet kettle. Not only that, but Nancy frequently mixes up bowls of salad with her bare hands. Ick.

A classic moment was when Nancy Fuller caught Duff licking his fingers and she admonished him, "You used your hands." Pot meet kettle. Not only that, but Nancy frequently mixes up bowls of salad with her bare hands.

I've never watched Nancy Fuller's show but I've gathered from reading comments that people aren't crazy about her.  That comment gave me a hint why.  Cookies are finger food.  Does she eat hers with a fork?  It struck me as a very odd thing to say.

I see a lot of cooks on these shows mixing salads with their hands, something which would never cross my mind.  Ick indeed.  I live alone and make salads for just myself and use tools. 

• Love 1

I hate to say this, but I didn't get "You used your hands" on the show, and here on the board, I still don't get it!   Am I Dumb or Dumber?  lol

I wish that the recipes for some of those cookies were on the FN.  I looked up a couple of them and didn't find them.

I'm afraid I have no enthusiasm for Bobby Dean.  I usually liked Paula and always liked Jamie, but I never cared for Bobby.  He has a real temper that showed sometimes on Paula's show.

Finally, I thought that most all of the contestants' enthusiasm was over the top.  I think the producers selected the people who acted like they were thrilled to death about being there.  I'll definitely watch the show again because I love seeing the baked goods and how they came together.

• Love 1

I wasn't expecting much, and am now pleasantly surprised to say that I like and will keep watching.  I particularly appreciate that no one had a sob story - sure, one lady was doing it for her family, one guy started baking with his father, one was a home baker, but none gave any sob stories. There was none of the standard "I have to prove to my parents/teachers/children that I can do this, even though I have to overcome cancer/addiction/death of a parent.

I also enjoyed that the challenges weren't ridiculous.  They had to use normal ingredients like oranges and raspberry jam - No "You must incorporate squid and brussel sprouts into your cookies"

Plus, the judges seem reasonable - no snarky comments in an attempt to be funny no Simon Cowell I'm-not-being-rude-just-being-honest type of put-downs.

Lastly, none of them seemed like wannabe actors.  There was one guy who seemed a little like he was putting on an act for the cameras, but I didn't think he was over the top.  They all seemed happy to be on the show and the seem to get along - no one is rude or overbearing and their talking heads aren't overly focused on "look how horrible my competitors are doing."

• Love 4

I really liked the show, but they can dump Bobby Deen.  Can't stand any of that family.  I also wish they'd have the recipies available online as I'd like to try them.  I wonder if they're going to go beyond the cookie part and move to cakes and pies. 

• Love 2

I wish that the recipes for some of those cookies were on the FN.  I looked up a couple of them and didn't find them.

This.  I have a holiday bake sale coming up and I thought I'd like to make on of the cookies that the winning woman made but it wasn't on their site.  Recipes is the reason I watch Food Network shows.  This isn't Iron Chef where the recipes might be complex or proprietary (none of these chefs probably have the clout to demand they appear on the show and not give up their recipes--the promotion is worth giving up a few recipes.) 

I liked it more than I thought I would, but I also don't understand the elimination of Stephanie over Tara.

I suspect it's because she tried to "cakeify" cookies.  Stephanie might end up making amazing cakes but is she going to try to "cakeify" every other item she's asked to make?  Tara, at least, attempted the item that was being asked of her and who knows?  Maybe her strength isn't cookies either. 

• Love 1

Wha??????  Erin makes something really inedible and Punky (I had to look twice when I heard that name..lol) made something too amateur, even though she followed the rules of the competition.  I call bull on that.

That man judge can go choke on a clove!!

I am rooting for David but I have so much love for the guy who made the Jewish cakes. 

They freaking teased us with the idea of Erin leaving and then pulled the rug out from under us.

I really don't know everybody's names.  Sorry

• Love 1

This is the first cooking competition I can remember where I've liked every one of the contestants.  Very refreshing.  I'm very fond of David but I wish he'd wear something besides what I'd guess is his signature pullover to cook in a hot kitchen.  He looks very cute but he also looks like like he's dying of the heat.  I'm already looking forward to the next show.

Edited by mlp
  • Love 2

I said to myself I wasn't going to watch the show again but I just had too, lol.  I like that there is no backstabbing with the contestants.  I love Bill and David and hope that one of these two win.  This is the second week I'm confused at the judging for the person sent home.  So Erin has a disaster on the dish but she gets kudos for trying - unsuccessfully - to save the dish.  The judges were able to eat Punky's cookie at least.  I can't wait to see what Terra bakes with bourbon next.

I always roll my eyes at people who claim they weren't really watching a show, they just had it on while they cooked/cleaned/whatever but honestly I only saw this because it was on while I was doing some paperwork.  Really!  I swear!  That said, I had no idea who the host was.  I thought he was competent despite so many people's distaste for his family.  Same with Duff/the center judge.  I'm not familiar with him either.  I did recognize the Farmhouse Rules lady and was glad to see that she didn't come off tipsy as she does on her own show.  No idea who the English judge is.

Same with Duff/the center judge.  I'm not familiar with him either.  I did recognize the Farmhouse Rules lady and was glad to see that she didn't come off tipsy as she does on her own show.  No idea who the English judge is.

Duff is a baker/pastry chef who is known for making specialty cakes & used to have a show on FN called "Ace of Cakes". It looks like he's getting another show on FN, so that's why he's one of the judges. I also have no idea who the British judge is other than since Simon Cowell was on American Idol, reality competition shows always seem to have a British judge.

I agree with the judges because of the whole cloves on Punky's cookies. Those alone warranted elimination.

What I didn't like was the telegraphing that Erin would leave. It smacked of manipulative editing.

• Love 1
The British judge is Lorraine Pascal and she has a few shows on The Cooking Channel.

Across the pond she is like a Giada, heh, with her own baking line and books which have sold over a million copies. Except she's far more down to earth and real, imo, especially since she gained much of her fame as a model and she knows her way around a kitchen. I still can't get over how good she looks for 42, just a stunner.

I actually don't mind this show despite its' million commercials which run all the bloody time. The bakers are all fairly decent people with some talent. Even having Bobby as a host doesn't irk me as much as I first assumed.

I agree with the judges because of the whole cloves on Punky's cookies. Those alone warranted elimination.

I agree, imagine if she'd been on Chopped serving the judges inedible decorations. the poor dear wouldn't have survived.

Edited by CPP83

I don't understand why she didn't use raisins or candy, why whole cloves

• Love 1

When it comes to judging, I wonder if the judges take the competition as a whole into consideration as opposed to just one task? Taken as a whole, I think Erin has shown a lot more imagination through the competition than Punky (although personality wise, I did like Punky more. Erin is just too twee). And I hate cloves, so the thought of biting into a cookie and getting a whole clove in my mouth just freaks me out. As others said, I don't know why she just didn't use a raison or a chocolate chip or something like that.

I think the eliminations have been more about being pretentious.  The first week, they didn't like the cake lady because even though they tasted good, they didn't look good enough for a contest of this caliber.  This week, they thought Punky's was too juvenile.  Which, gingerbread men, Christmas, duh.  The wholes cloves didn't help her but I'm not sure she would have made it through even without that error.

• Love 2

Didn't Punky introduce herself in the first episode as a Master Baker? I'd think she'd know better than to use whole spices as decorations.

Does Terra put bourbon in EVERYTHING?

Military dude with the "big guns" can go anytime. He annoys me the most. He needs to go be on a show hosted by Robert Irvine so they can compare biceps.

• Love 4
Usually in these shows if you label yourself a "master" anything it's a clear sign that you are going home early in the competition. It's like painting a target on yourself.

As is stating a particular item is your specialty and a sure winner, right, Southern bourbon pecan pie?

...and Dante takes it a step further by declaring himself the best holiday baker even as the door hits him on the way out.

The blond judge sure is in love with David. Winky, winky!

• Love 1

I love David myself.  He's so cute that I just want to pinch his cheeks.  That cranberry pie looked fabulous.  I also like Bill a lot and thought he'd be second.  I wasn't sorry to see Dante go.  His huge ego was wearing a little thin.  Erin is too.  I don't dislike her but her cutesy act has begun to annoy me.  A lot.

• Love 2

If I had to be around Erin in person for the length of the competition, I would hate her. But during a short-run TV show I can fast forward through, I can deal. I really don't dislike any of the contestants and was sorry any of them had to be eliminated.

The recipes using ready-made pie crust would be really useful to have on the website.

They kind of telegraphed Dante's elimination.  I had a feeling of dread throughout the episode knowing he was going.  And tonight every talking head of his reminded me of Al Bundy so I giggled throughout.

Erin is annoying.  When she was declared safe she did a little two step..ugh.

I'm rooting for David although I like them all..

• Love 2

Do they bring their own pans & things to the show? It seemed strange that David had his own cookie cutter there.

I would think they can bring their own pans and specialized utensils. I wonder though how it works with ingredients. Is there a set pantry of ingredients to work with, or can they make special requests? I'm thinking of Dante's problem with not having the right type of ricotta.

I was also wondering if they changed the rules in midstream yesterday to allow Dante to compete with only two pies. Or maybe they expected that some contestants would have trouble finishing three within the time limits.

The thought of egg noodles in a pie is not appealing to me. At all. I loved the Brit judge calling him out on needing some sooper special cheese and wondering why the hell he made that pie if he didn't have it. I'm not sorry to see Dante, his Popeye arms and Macy's parade balloon-size ego go. I was getting sick of hearing how awesome he was. And EVERY DAMN TIME someone else won it was always..."how could they not have picked me?!" Talk about someone difficult to be around all the time.

Not that Erin's much better. You just know she's one of those people who keeps her tree up all year so it can be Christmas every day! Ugh. In the last episode she blathered on about stalking egg nog to be the first to find it. First, strange. Second, you can get egg nog all year. My stores always has a few cartons in stock all year (who the hell buys it I don't know)

Tara is cleary canon fodder and Nayet isn't much of a character so the top 3 is most likely Mr. My Sweaters Are More Appropriate For Spring in the Hamptons than the Holidays, Egg Nog Stalker and Fortune Cookie guy.

• Love 1

I didn't find a majority of the pies all that appealing the contestants had.  Dante and Tara were the worst and too bad both didn't go.    I was happy David did win and both his pies looked good, so did Bill's banana cream pie.  At least next week brings another opportunity to see what bourbon is added to Tara's baking.

Maybe that was because there were so many problems with so many pies they didn't ding it?  I, personally, don't see the problem with the Nilla wafers though. Why is that a problem?  I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything like that I honestly don't know why the wafers would get dinged.

Maybe that was because there were so many problems with so many pies they didn't ding it?  I, personally, don't see the problem with the Nilla wafers though. Why is that a problem?  I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything like that I honestly don't know why the wafers would get dinged.

I don't watch a lot of Food Network competitions, but on other ones I have watched, using a bought item for a key part of the dish is viewed as a negative. the question is where do you draw the line - what if you hired a professional pastry chef to make cake layers for you in advance? It's supposed to measure your skills as a baker, not Nabisco's

• Love 1

I think the Nilla Wafers were OK.  They weren't being used as is; they used them as an ingredient in their crust.  It's not different than using ginger snaps, Oreos or graham crackers.  Grinding those up and making a crust is different than using a Keebler pre-made crust.

• Love 1