Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Let's Gossip In The Pantry!

On 11/30/2018 at 5:46 AM, Spunkygal said:

I guess it depends on the consumer's personal preference, but that combination doesn't do that much for me. I use molasses in a more ginger/winter spice batter. I see that you are making two cookies with chocolate chips. One idea would be to substitute the chips for the coconut in the oatmeal cookies. I've done coconut with oatmeal before and it has worked wonderfully. Of course you can't really go wrong with any combination. Don't know if I've ever had a "bad" cookie! But when I make a bunch of recipes for holiday gifts or entertaining, I try not to make too many that have nuts or too many that have chocolate.  This year, I have a fruity cookie (orange/cranberry/pecan), a spice cookie (cheating this year and throwing in Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snaps), melting moments cookie and am also doing the bake-off winner in our local newspaper's contest of german chocolate upside down bars.

I wanted to add that some time ago in one of the "Food" forum threads, someone posted this recipe and said it is the best cookie ever. If I don't do the german chocolate bars, I am going to do this:  http://madaboutmaida.blogspot.com/2011/12/mulattoes.html

I wanted to report back on the chocolate cookies linked at the very bottom of my previous post from the Mad About Maida blog. WOW! These cookies are super easy and amazing. I used Baker’s semi-sweetened and unsweetened squares for the part that you melt then used the tiny semi-sweet morsels for the folding in part. Do not bake over 10 minutes and let cool before you touch them. They have only a small amount of flour and are fragile. I am making another batch tomorrow. Whoever originally posted this recipe on one of the Food forums was right. It is the best chocolate cookie I’ve ever had. 

17 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

I'm a low-tech kind of gal. I just put some foil over the top - lol

That would not achieve the same effect as a heating core. But it would keep the cake from browning on the top.