Type keyword(s) to search

Getting On - General Discussion

• Start Topic

He is not attracted to female genitalia, whether idealized or not.

Okay, that made me cackle.

I thought it was funny when Patsy started scuffling with Dennis in the gift shop and thought it was strange to see Patsy that jealous.

• Love 1

Patsy is an ego maniac so of course he was pissed that Dawn rejected him for Dennis.  The idea of being passed over is what set him off, not that Dawn was the love of his life.  He may be gay or ambiguous or afraid to come out, but ultimately I think he's too lazy to get into a real relationship.  He accepted the first offering of sex from the first person who showed interest.  He went with it because I'm sure Dawn, in all her insecurities, made their intimacy all about HIM and fulfilling HIS needs. Without Dawn, he'll have to put a little energy into finding a new partner.

I hope this show is renewed.  If the hospice story line ends what will become of Maeby?? Please find her a new job in the hospital!  She's weirdly creepy but calming.  And I hope Miss Birdy is back too!  I have always loved that actress since her "Dick Van Dyke Show" days and even on "The Nanny".

• Love 4

I wonder if the little sex talk scene between Dawn and Patsy was improv.

Everything was genius. Honestly, I cannot find one minute of this series I have not enjoyed. I wonder if any of the under 40 crowd watches it.

Excellent scene showing us what the staff observes/endures while attending a death-by-DNR. I guess Dr. James' near-throttling of poor Mrs. Lee was a metaphor for the doctor determined not to give up the fight against the hospital bureaucracy.

I never knew Niecy was such a talent. I've loved her over the years, in small doses because her personality and roles are BIG, but she effortlessly slides from the series' quiet straight "man" to holding her own when the other lunatics let loose.

Even the hospice nurse is note perfect.

My 32-year-old girlfriend watches it with me and watches with me. She's an RN working as an ADON at a nursing home and said the show is so accurate it's scary. She does prefer Season 1 to Season 2 because she found Season 2 to be a little too madcap for her taste. Like most people, she tends to hate TV shows about her profession, but this one she'll watch.

Loved Dr. James comparing the enormous growths on the patient to special and unique snowflakes.

Did Mary Kay Place show an interest in Dr. James only after the hair makeover?

Loved Patsy buying Sucrets. I can't remember the last time I thought about Sucrets.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 1

In previous eps when the hospice rep was talking to Dr James, I couldn't follow everything she said. The writing was amazing, and the delivery rapid-fire. I wonder if the rep really did say what Dr James thought she said, or if Dr James misinterpreted it. Of course she loved getting the extra money to use for her projects, so maybe it's a little of both.

I felt the same as you about the exposition of the hospice information--I couldn't really follow it. (I remember asking around these parts whether anyone could, and could fill me in.) At the time I thought it was either a flaw in the show or a flaw in me. But this episode made me think the confusion of the audience was deliberate, as it was meant to put us in the same position as Dr. James--i.e., not quite getting it. So when Dr. James finally realizes "OMG, that's how it worked? That's what I've been doing?", we'd identify with her. And also so that the climax of the season, Dr. James' downfall, would contain some element of surprise for the audience, i.e., we weren't able to see it from five miles away.

To which I say, well played, show.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

Why you should always give people another chance Niecy Nash was always just some loud person who I had  idea why they were a celebrity and was skeptical but I really like  her as nurse Didi.

Same here. Before this show, I knew her name and knew she was loud and that was about it, but she is amazing as nurse Didi. I originally checked out this show only because of Laurie Metcalf, but Nurse Didi is quickly becoming my favorite character. I feel like she's the warm, comforting island of normal in the big, giant sea of crazy.

Jenna and Dawn draw similar responses from me: I wouldn't want to have to work with either of them. But I also don't like to see them defeated or treated meanly by others, either (even though they may deserve it given how they treat their subordinates). So conflicted!

Me too! I'm only four episodes in at this point, but I already feel ridiculously protective of them when they get crapped on by other people. But yeah, working with either one of them everyday? No thanks.

I just marathoned the second season over the last few hours and cannot get enough of this amazing little show. The writing is great and the actors are perfect and every episode is a treat. I'm so glad that it is coming back for a third season and can't wait! I think the three main actresses each deserve a whole wheelbarrow of awards for their work in this show. Having never really been familiar with either Niecy Nash or Alex Borstein before now, I'm blown away by how amazing they are. I've loved Laurie Metcalf since Roseanne and always thought she was a brilliant actress, but this show just kicks it up a notch. There's not a trace of Jackie Harris in Dr. Jenna James and I love it.

The last two scenes of this episode really got me, though. Everything from the three ladies on the roof and Dr. James' honest apology to everyone gathered around Mrs. Lee with the hospice volunteer singing made me tear up...and then Ms. Birdie along the bottom of the screen singing along was the perfect thing to make me smile. Well done, show. =)

(edited)

I just watched the first four episodes of this amazing show and fell in love within the first few minutes. I can't wait to watch the rest. Anyone up for some season 1 discussion?

Yes!

Someone recommended this series on another forum and I'm loving it. 

Do we need to start a new topic for season 1 or should we continue here?

Edited by Eire

Final season premieres this Sunday (11/8.) There's a photo of the main cast in this week's EW, and Alex Borstein looks like she's lost a LOT of weight.

I hate that we were only given three seasons of this gem but Girls will probably live on forever. Can't folks over 30 have anything?

• Love 4

I am so glad this show is back. It is brilliant from acting to writing and everything in between. This recap really captures the beauty of this seemingly simple yet richly layered and complex show.

• Love 4

Patsy is really the worst!  The way he was smiling as he was comforting a sobbing Dawn was a hoot!

I was multi-tasking while watching the ep, so I may have missed:  was there an explanation for Dawn's sudden bout of kidney failure?

No. At least, I didn't catch one. I don't know if it's possible for that to just crop up, but I keep thinking the doctor who told her this is incompetent, or that there was a mixup of tests.

I also keep thinking that something will come of that one patient eating so many oranges.

I'm glad this show is back. Man, it's been a long time, hasn't it? 

So funny when Dr James and the other woman were hiding in the toilet stall, sitting on each other's laps. 

Patsy inserting the vaginal cream rectally was pretty awful, but funny, in all his double-entendre ways.

• Love 1

I'm so sad that this is the final season, but I'm happy it's back nonetheless. My wife is a nurse, and she said the meeting between the RNs and LPNs/transport people was nearly identical to meetings she's had at work. Marguerite telling Patsy that she saw him puke in the hallway was great. I knew that once that dog was licking up vomit that it would be licking Dawn's face, and I still cringed when it happened. Patsy's smug, self-satisfied grin when Dawn was crying about her miserable life with her husband and MRDD uncle-in-law made me want to punch him through the screen. Add renal failure on top of that mess, and I feel so bad for Dawn.

• Love 1

Dr. James is such an infuriating character.  So oblivious and narcissistic and ambitious, but under all that, she really cares about those patients. 

Jenna and Dawn at the computer, working the robot, Jenna messing things up and then telling Dawn to be careful, this is delicate.  I've worked with people like that -- they don't know what they're doing but they'll tell you how to do it. 

Dawn, at the end, looking at that woman's empty apartment, and maybe wondering if that's her future -- dying alone.

• Love 2

Laurie Metcalf, Niecy Nash, and Alex Borstein, return for one last season of HBO's little-watched geriatric comedy. Unlike the show's elderly patients, it's never too late for you to join in.http://previously.tv/getting-on/get-a-prescription-for-getting-ons-potent-cocktail-of-tragedy-and-belly-laughs/"> Read the story

Loved this recap. I love your writing!

Dr. James is such an infuriating character.  So oblivious and narcissistic and ambitious, but under all that, she really cares about those patients. 

Jenna and Dawn at the computer, working the robot, Jenna messing things up and then telling Dawn to be careful, this is delicate.  I've worked with people like that -- they don't know what they're doing but they'll tell you how to do it. 

Dawn, at the end, looking at that woman's empty apartment, and maybe wondering if that's her future -- dying alone.

I have worked with people like that, too. And I live with someone like that. It is indeed infuriating. He or she is insecure and embarrassed that he/she is at fault, so he/she turns on you, so that you shift to focus on defending yourself or redeeming yourself.
  • Love 3

I won't be terribly surprised if Dawn actually dies. A lot of shows like this can't resist the whole "medical professional has to confront death themselves, as a patient" thing. I also won't be surprised if it turns out to be something silly at the last minute, either.

Patsy inserting the vaginal cream rectally was pretty awful, but funny, in all his double-entendre ways.

I'd be genuinely offended by a lot of the Patsy stuff - "the male nurse is so obviously gay that he can't even get near a vagina, and he puts things up people's asses!" - except that it's just. so. fucking. funny.

"How many other rectums have you inadvertently penetrated?

• Love 7

I'd be genuinely offended by a lot of the Patsy stuff - "the male nurse is so obviously gay that he can't even get near a vagina, and he puts things up people's asses!" - except that it's just. so. fucking. funny.

"How many other rectums have you inadvertently penetrated?

Patsy is also just so uncomfortable with anything to do with bodies so I don't even see it as a gay issue.  He needs to supervise because he cannot provide good patient care.  Or I just love this since it was a call back to one of my favorite lines ever from Dawn: "I think I have an anal fissure.  You're my boyfriend!" 

• Love 3

Patsy's smug, self-satisfied grin when Dawn was crying about her miserable life with her husband and MRDD uncle-in-law made me want to punch him through the screen.

The actor is a genius because I despise Patsy.

One of the most brilliant aspects of this show has been how Patsy uses narcissistic psychobabble to try to manipulate and control everyone in his life. How many of us have worked with or had an acquaintance whose entire conversations consist of "You're crossing my boundaries and I need some Me Time." With the insecure rage running just beneath the surface 24/7. That's Patsy.

Also, it would be so easy to skewer the southern Tri-Delt character as a predictably clueless flibbertigibbet. Instead they make her a sharp operator who saves the day for Dr. James.

I was a bit thrown by the scene of the mentally challenged characters in their underwear.

Does everyone know that Niecy was nominated for an Emmy for this series?

And Laurie Metcalfe is just brilliant.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 7

Just wanted to say this, I watched the first two seasons of this show and I'm watching this last season because this show is phenomenal.  

Even though, good lord, I can't get that vomit scene out of my mind. Well it's when the dog entered the picture and then proceeded to lick Dawn's face right after. I love the medical profession, wish I had the stomach for it, my mom is a retired nurse.  I've been able to take everything else on this show that's icky and it not end up burned on my brain, but those vomit/dog/Dawn scenes, ugh.  I just want to stop replaying it.

Patsy, is sick in the head and/or a loser. He pissed me off in this episode, he really did.

Laurie Metcalf is awesome, I can't stop laughing at the way she plays her character, she is the funniest character to me. 

And I heart, DeDe.

I like Dawn, but boy does she have some very low self-esteem, she has NO self-esteem, oh man.

Finally, the elderly recurring cast members and guest stars, well, obviously the show would be nothing without them. 

It's just so real.

Does everyone know that Niecy was nominated for an Emmy for this series?

Yes, I know,  I think it was best supporting actress in a comedy? Or was it best actress in a comedy? 

Edited by represent
  • Love 2

Patsy is also just so uncomfortable with anything to do with bodies so I don't even see it as a gay issue.

I'd say the joke is partially about his incompetence, and refusal to spend time with patients. But it's also about him, as a closet case, having an aversion to vaginas - Dawn even got in a crack about how she thought he'd finally figured out the difference by now.

• Love 5

Loved, when Jenna reminds them that there is no vaginal mucus in the rectum, the way Dawn says, "I know that."

How could those intern extras keep a straight face while Jenna is demonstrating the anal horn?!?

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 1

Necrobumping here (what better place, really?) because I'm bingewatching the first two seasons to get my poor memory back on track for Season 3 and this episode totally reminded me of everything that is brilliant about this show ...

Just when you can't stand James, she makes you go and love her in her awkward way ... I cried like a baby during that last scene with Carrie Preston. 

And thanks to those who clarified the farting scene. 

Also, apologies if this is TMI, I realized that for all of James' sometimes-seemingly ranting pontifications, her crusade about fecal incontinence in elderly women really struck a chord with me ... an elderly relative of mine who was always very much the lady battled that in her final months and I just remember how much it mortified her ... so, yeah, this is an issue even if it seems almost like a joke at the same time. 

• Love 2

What was the significance of Dr. James and Dr. Rudd reaching to pick up the pen at the same time? And Patsy's footwear?

Oh, Mrs. Stein was such a sweetheart.

I thought it was just to show her flirting with him.

• Love 1

The credits clip made me die!! Dawn to Didi: "Can you sing me the pony song?" Didi halts, then starts singing "If you're horny, let's do it...ride it, my pony" Seriously, I died!!! Was expecting some children's sing song nursery rhyme, not Ginuine's song about sex. lmao

• Love 11

The credits clip made me die!! Dawn to Didi: "Can you sing me the pony song?" Didi halts, then starts singing "If you're horny, let's do it...ride it, my pony" Seriously, I died!!! Was expecting some children's sing song nursery rhyme, not Ginuine's song about sex. lmao

So did I, this show is so awesome. It is to me, the best HBO series drama or comedy all around, since I've been watching the network back in the days of Arli$$.

This is their best one, the quality is just something.

By the way, now the dog has turned into Cujo.

OMG,he was standing on a food tray/stand, in a patient's room, just barking at her. Or was he on her bed?  He was definitely up on something just looking at her, barking lmao.  That's some therapy.

I mean I know I saw that, in addition to him growling at DiDi from under the desk. 

He has no handler.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

Only this show would allow a therapy dog to damn near go feral.  

I loved the scene with Didi, Birdie and the bird.  The moment when Birdie asks, "I have to take care of it?" was priceless.  

• Love 2

One of my all-time favorite scenes of this series was when holy terror Miss Cordelia was sitting in the bath and said to Didi "If you love me I'll love you back." Dawn said almost the exact same thing in one of her scenes last night. Coincidence or special meaning for the writers?

There aren't enough words to express the genius of this show. We go from explosive feces to Dawn's transcendence.

And the chemistry between her and Patsy was off the charts. I forgive him his many transgressions in thanks for the dancing.

And we got to meet Didi's family!

• Love 2