Type keyword(s) to search

Getting On - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Me took I forgot all about it, but it's the most truthful yet still funny look at the corrupt way our hospitals are run that I've evr seen... Brings back some painful memories. And yet also hilarious.

I missed that she wanted her hand held for the alcohol. Heh!

You're so respectful you almost can't put yourself in me....lol

• Love 2

I was surprised by Dawn on the cello. But I really liked it. This show is so good. I wondered if the doctor delivering the news about Dawn and Patty's non- baby always delivers news in that manner. She was pretty cold but I guess that could be because they are healthcare professionals.

Another fantastic episode.

• Love 3

The conflict with the young doctor was also interesting because it was one of the rare times Dr. James stuck up for the nurses. She so often blames everything on the nurses, especially technical mishaps which are either her own fault/incompetence or a full-on system problem. In scenes where she's taking them to task for something that is not their fault, the younger doctors have seemed to be able to see right through Dr. James, and to be quietly sympathetic to the nurses. That might have played into the young doctor's complaint that DiDi wasn't respecting him, thinking that Dr. James would be a sympathetic audience. Instead, she rightfully let him have it. 

DiDi was great there, standing her ground without being confrontational. She sucks up so much in that job, whether it's from the doctors or Dawn or the patients, and rarely lets it affect the job she does. 

Poor Dawn. It's just as well for the nonexistent baby, because I don't think Dawn is ready for parenting, but it is still sad for her. The scene with her playing the cello was touching. But it's also typical that she shoved that cello in under the desk so that DiDi would have to deal with it. 

Maybe being carted off towards the morgue will cure Miss Birdie of faking comas to get out of things she doesn't want to do, but somehow I doubt it. 

Jean Smart's character is so interesting, as is the doctors' inability to tell her straight out that there is nothing they can do for her mother-in-law except allow her to die comfortably. They throw out jargon and useless or contraindicated procedures to hide behind so that they don't have to say, "There is nothing more that we can do for her. We have no solution or cure." Then Jean Smart's character, who is clearly intelligent, has her own blindness and is unable to read between the lines, or consider that a woman with dementia and other diseases would not want to be bothered by unnecessary procedures. Even though at the end, she tells her mother-in-law that "They aren't going to do anything more for us here," I didn't get the feeling that she was acknowledging the idea that the woman was going to die. Whether it's because the mother-in-law is one last tie to her late husband, or because she has been trying for so long to prove herself to the mother-in-law that she just can't stop, or guilt at not liking her more, it's getting in the way of doing what would really be best for her mother-in-law. Very sad, but a good look at how hard it is to deal with death, for both the doctors and family. 

I was surprised by Dawn on the cello. But I really liked it. This show is so good. I wondered if the doctor delivering the news about Dawn and Patty's non- baby always delivers news in that manner. She was pretty cold but I guess that could be because they are healthcare professionals.

That's how I saw it. She seemed a bit clinical to me, but on the other hand, Dawn was looking at the ultrasound screen just as she was, and had the knowledge to know what she was seeing and not seeing. I thought the doctor was a bit frustrated with the level of denial Dawn was in, and maybe expecting too much from Dawn in that situation. 

Oh, I forgot—the scene with Dr. James giving her boss's lap a good scrubbing was funny enough, but taken in conjunction with her scene demonstrating how she picks up a mouse and manipulates it in order to express urine or what have you, it was hysterical. If she could have picked him up like one of her mice, she would have. 

• Love 3

The scene in which Dawn and Patsy learn there is no baby didn't seem cold to me.  It reminded me of how they tell doctors to always use the word died when talking to the family of a patient that just died.  People hear what they want to hear, so they find a way to reinterpret passed on, passed away, etc.  Dawn was having a hard time processing that she had every aspect of pregnancy except an actual fetus.  The doctor had to make it as clear as possible.

The story line with Jean Smart really hits home.  I have been in a similar situation with an elderly relative,  The surgeons want to fix what they can fix, even if the quality of life will not be good/improved.  They can replace her faulty heart valve and remove her tumors, but she still has dementia.  She may well spend the remainder of her life in a hospital recovering from the surgeries.  If they remove her tumors, are they also going to follow up with chemo or radiation?  Jean Smart's MIL is a good candidate for hospice and palliative care only.  Didi did this family a huge favor but inadvertently causing the care conference.  Otherwise they would keep working away on her without being able to do anything to help with her dementia.  

• Love 2

I'd never heard of that condition which Dawn has. I know that some women think they're pregnant when they're not, but I didn't know that a blood test can tell you you're pregnant when you're not. I felt so sad for Dawn. The end when she plays the cello was kind of heartbreaking.

I agree that Jean Smart's character is so interesting. Of course Jean Smart is so fantastic that she makes all her characters funny and/or interesting.

"Pharmacy needs wet signatures, that's signatures with a pen," cracked me up.

I need to rewatch. Love this show.

• Love 3

OK, weird question (although probably no weirder than Nurse de la Serda...). When Dawn was having her anal fissure problem, and she talked to him about their anal sex, what was with his reaction? At first I thought he didn't realize that's where "things" had gone, and that he was somehow inexperienced enough to think that it was plain old vaginal sex. But his reaction was just so odd, that somehow he seemed in denial about sex at all (and then Dawn's later remark about how he was too polite or something that he could barely enter her)? Did he not want to admit it due to the commitment it might entail? I just had no idea how to read that scene.

This guy is just so strange in general, I can't believe he has managed to make a good enough impression in interview to land a job. Perhaps they are saying something about the types of people who end up on Extended Care First Floor.

Jenna and Dawn draw similar responses from me: I wouldn't want to have to work with either of them. But I also don't like to see them defeated or treated meanly by others, either (even though they may deserve it given how they treat their subordinates). So conflicted!

Does anyone have a sense as to how/why Jenna ended up here, other than perhaps some hospital politics? Are we supposed to think she is not such a great doctor, so they stuck her over here? Or because she is kind of an odd duck, people don't want her hanging around the hospital proper? Obviously she doesn't have the best bedside manner, but I don't think administration cares too much about that. She doesn't seem outright incompetent, and has flashes of caring and doing things right.

This show deserves more attention than it's getting.  It quietly amuses me.

Agreed. However, Getting On does much more than quietly amuse me--I find myself somewhere between a chortle and riotus guffaw depending on the episode and the wacky hijinks that are ensuing. I know it's not everyone's brand of humor but I really hope HBO renews it for another season or two.

Miss Birdie killed me with her feigned bouts of narcolepsy. She's a hoot and a half.

And Laurie Metcalfe was brilliant as ever, fervently prattling on about musine anogenital distances one minute and then nonchalantly going to third base with her boss in the conference room while yelling out "It's coming! It's coming!"

• Love 5

We saw a rare flash of the hapless Dawn's excellence as a nurse when she stood her ground with the young doctor.

Boorstein plays Dawn so brilliantly, because I want to knock some sense into her, then in the next moment give her a hug. Having a baby was Dawn's big chance to shine in the spotlight: have a boyfriend, a cute apartment and revel in the attention one gets when pregnant. It will be interesting to see whether Patsy runs screaming for the hills now that he's not about to be a daddy. On the other hand, Dawn strokes and manipulates his ego expertly, and it's a siren call he cannot resist.

My family member had life-saving surgery recently, and while his basic medical care in a "Top 50" American hospital was excellent, much of the attendant support was infuriating. We regularly received conflicting guidance and had to be diligent to get some basic questions answered. Everyone was so rushed and busy; I felt we were seeing the underlying "profit-is-all" approach in effect.

• Love 4

I think your phrase "odd duck" hits the nail on the head, StatMom. I actually identify with Jenna to an embarrassing degree--I like to think of myself as a people person, but I can be self-centered as hell, and I've always had a strong streak of social awkwardness, particularly in situations where I'm the boss lady. I like that Jenna's not a flat-out villain; I enjoy the occasional  glimpses of her frailty, and from time to time I find myself pitying her in spite of myself.

• Love 5

I loved seeing the young arrogant doctor who was condescending to dawn get a smack down. So.. Much. Yes to save face James pretended she was mad about he manner dawn gave him but really she knew just how bad it was and taught doc not to be that clueless. And to respect nurses. It's not just hives! Lol. Also showed how ridiculously dependent they he had become on computers. The young doc didn't even know how to give a skin test he was so reliant on a nurse looking UO her chart.

And seeing the arrogant surgeon who was at first so offended he made fun of DiDi about her opinions to down, when jean realized the surgeons there weren't really trying to improve mil's life. Tht 30 days would be considered good.

Lots of humor too but those things stuck out to me. I guess I have some residual anger from my late fathers time in the hospital. ..

• Love 2

I loved seeing the young arrogant doctor who was condescending to dawn get a smack down. So.. Much. Yes to save face James pretended she was mad about he manner dawn gave him but really she knew just how bad it was and taught doc not to be that clueless. And to respect nurses. It's not just hives! Lol.

And, I found the sound of Laurie Metcalf's voice as she was yelling at him truly terrifying. I may have seen her express that kind of unbridled rage on the stage at Steppenwolf. I don't think I've ever witnessed it in a television performance.

• Love 2

Why is Patsy mad at Dawn?  And did they ever move into the new apartment?  I'm so confused by their darn relationship!

Ok, I finished the episode and now understand that Patsy feels trapped by Dawn.  God, they are a mess.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 2

Just when I'm about to write James off she shows herself a good doctor and/ or a kind person. She did it last week when she smacked down the intern and she did it again with the patient who wants to die, damn show,

I laughed so hard at the intubation through the nose.

And boy DiDi worked fast with hottie, I guess he understood from the way she ws ignoring him that there was a spark. He was fine!

I laughed so hard at dawn sliding down the bannisters. It was funny too to see Patsy minding.

• Love 2

Another excellent episode, although I was confused by the ending. I suspected Dr. James might be suffering from or exhibiting early symptoms of female fecal incontinence from the fervor with which she championed the cause. I take it she's the one who let it rip in the last scene, but why did Didi say "Uh uh....no way!" ? 

I can totally relate to the way the staff completely freaked out at the potential HIPAA lawsuit. My uncle's wife is a nutritionist and she was so overzealous and paranoid when the new HIPAA regulations came into effect a decade ago. She stopped inviting family over to her house because she conducts her business from home and was deathly afraid of being sued and imprisoned for violating protocol. She even refused to have my grandmother, her mother-in-law, stay with them. My mom is also in the healthcare field (therapist) and tried explaining that files just needed to be sealed away securely, but my crazy aunt would hear none of it. Needless to say my uncle and aunt are seldom invited to family functions any more.

Loved Ms. Birdie's reaction to seeing the vulva pic and then laughing that hers was as big as a bucket. I think the resident Dr. James asked to send the file from Didi's computer was the one who inadvertently submitted the photograph to the Xmas card competition.

Dawn's crazy if she thought she actually had a chance to score with the muscled orthopaedic surgeon, but kudos to her for that bout of delusional self confidence. Sometimes self assuredness can go a long way in attracting a willing partner.

I can't recall where I've seen the patient-of-the-week, but she was very good in the role.

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 2

I take it she's the one who let it rip in the last scene, but why did Didi say "Uh uh....no way!" ?

I can't recall where I've seen the patient-of-the-week, but very good was excellent in the role.

Dr. Jameson farted by accident so then Dawn let one out too, on purpose, to lighten the tension. They both looked at Didi to follow the lead but she wouldn't go along with it, heh.

The patient was Carrie Preston. You might know her from True Blood or The Good Wife, or maybe as a guest star on Arrested Developmet, Lost, Wonderfalls... That's what I can come up with on the top of my head. She's always great.

"Miss Birdie, that's your lil' pussy." I just died from that line. So funny. So many LOL-moments in general.

And holy smokes, Didi's doctor was scorching hot. Anyone know the actors name? I feel I have to investigate him thoroughly.

• Love 4

Did Didi tell the ortho surgeon that they could have an affair, or just dance at that moment?  Didi was the pursuer in that she said "you show me" how to dance.

It was nice to see Carrie Preston without her usual manic, carrot-top TV persona, although I like that persona in other shows.

Nice moment with Dr. James letting Carrie's character know she could go home and die quickly and peacefully. Laurie Metcalfe is bringing it.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

Dr. Jameson farted by accident so then Dawn let one out too, on purpose, to lighten the tension. They both looked at Didi to follow the lead but she wouldn't go along with it, heh.

Understandable since Didi said, "There's no such thing as an innocent fart anymore."

Loved this ep. Loved the final scene betw Dr Jameson and Carrie Preston.

Birdie is great. Everyone is great.

I'm showing my age, but I got a big kick out of Dr Jameson saying, "Which twin had the Toni?" I hadn't thought of that in years.

"It was the harmless transmission of an errant vulva."

Dawn saying, "I lost my baby that never existed," cracked me up.

When Carrie Preston asked if the nasal intubation was painful, and Dr Jameson said no, I loved how all the interns looked at each other knowing that was a lie. 

I really love this show.

• Love 4

The intubation was the only thing that didn't sit right with me, because it never hurt the times I've had it inserted (3-4 times). Slight discomfort, sure, but no pain. The gag was still hilarious, though.

The intubation was the only thing that didn't sit right with me, because it never hurt the times I've had it inserted (3-4 times). Slight discomfort, sure, but no pain. The gag was still hilarious, though.

They've hurt when I've had them put in. And after they were removed, I still felt it in my nasal cavity for a few weeks afterwards. My NG tubes have been for feeding though, as opposed to suction for a bowel obstruction.

I wondered about the morphine thing. When my step-grandfather died in 2006, it was in the hospital, with them upping his dosage of morphine to achieve that very purpose. It was even in a Catholic hospital. Still, I was glad that Dr. James was giving her the option to go home and hasten her death quickly and as painlessly as possible. And Didi's little makeover of her was so sweet. Yet another reason why Didi is my favorite.

• Love 2

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a photo of a vulva.  Take that, Seinfeld nip slip!  

This episode alone could be Laurie Metcalf's Emmy reel.  From the manic discussion of female fecal incontinence to her clear discomfort when holding the hospice patient's hand (twice) to her final scene explaining the morphine pump, she sold every moment brilliantly.    

There is usually a limiter placed on a morphine pump.  So you can hit it all that you like, but there is a maximum dosage allowed, unless Dr. Jameson issues one without a limiter.  

• Love 2

They've hurt when I've had them put in. And after they were removed, I still felt it in my nasal cavity for a few weeks afterwards. My NG tubes have been for feeding though, as opposed to suction for a bowel obstruction.

That sucks. Mine have been for feeding too (chrons here), so I guess it differs from person to person.

Edited by joelene

I think it is a reflection of his being confused about his sexuality, which the show has hinted at. Discussing anal sex is too close to comfort, and what Dawn interprets as his deep respect for her might well be Patsy's lack of enthusiasm for vaginal sex. 

• Love 1

The patient was Carrie Preston. You might know her from True Blood or The Good Wife, or maybe as a guest star on Arrested Developmet, Lost, Wonderfalls... That's what I can come up with on the top of my head. She's always great.

It took me until 20 minutes in to figure out who it was! So different without the bright lipstick and brighter hair. A nice turn as the terminal patient here.

I suppose a nasal tube could hurt or not, depending on patient characteristics and the skill of the inserter. I've never had one, but I know that blood draws have ranged on me from "not feeling it at all" to "holy shit, what's with the torture!?" The doc probably should have known to give a more fair warning.

Is there a HIPPA (sp?) issue if there is no patient identifying information? Not that this photo-sharing situation would be condoned, of course, but it's not like a picture of someone's face. 

I wouldn't think so, but I suppose the fear is that if anyone was able to identify it, there'd be hell to pay. 

And holy smokes, Didi's doctor was scorching hot. Anyone know the actors name? I feel I have to investigate him thoroughly.

Dr Parker was played by LaMonica Garrett. He looked a bit familiar to me, and it must have been from Sons of Anarchy, where he's had a recurring role as a Deputy Sheriff who has managed to stay alive for two seasons. 

This episode alone could be Laurie Metcalf's Emmy reel.  From the manic discussion of female fecal incontinence to her clear discomfort when holding the hospice patient's hand (twice) to her final scene explaining the morphine pump, she sold every moment brilliantly.

That, plus her commitment to portraying Dr James' fanatical devotion to all things pertaining to the aging anal-genital tissues of her patients (and her mice). She rattles off all of the jargon with the burning light in her eye of a revivalist preacher. I can't imagine how she gets through some of that without cracking up, not to mention the actors she's nattering on to, usually right in their faces. But yes, the journey she made in this episode, all the way from being uncomfortable holding the patient's hand and her knee-jerk refusal to allow her extra morphine, to being comfortable holding her hand and explaining about the morphine pump. Very beautiful. 

On a lighter note, the conflict between Dr. James and Patsy about the TVs was fun to watch. The TVs made sense to me, and that's what patients expect from hospitals these days. Also, at a few hundred dollars per TV, I can't believe it puts that much of a dent in her budget. But the way Patsy was walking around, protectively clutching those TVs like the child he never not had, tickled me. 

• Love 4

Does anyone have a sense as to how/why Jenna ended up here, other than perhaps some hospital politics? Are we supposed to think she is not such a great doctor, so they stuck her over here? Or because she is kind of an odd duck, people don't want her hanging around the hospital proper? Obviously she doesn't have the best bedside manner, but I don't think administration cares too much about that. She doesn't seem outright incompetent, and has flashes of caring and doing things right.

If her interest is working with aging problems of patients, she's in the right place, but she's a fanatic about her cause and her studies, and fanatics are uncomfortable to be around. She's demonstrated that if you give her the least opening, she launches into another impassioned speech about her chosen subject, and that would get tiresome. She probably would be much happier staying in the lab working with her mice, but she also needs access to human patients to advance her research. 

• Love 1

That sucks. Mine have been for feeding too (chrons here), so I guess it differs from person to person.

It must. I have gastroparesis and refuse to get a J-tube, so when symptoms get really bad, it's an NG tube for me.

I suppose a nasal tube could hurt or not, depending on patient characteristics and the skill of the inserter. I've never had one, but I know that blood draws have ranged on me from "not feeling it at all" to "holy shit, what's with the torture!?" The doc probably should have known to give a more fair warning.

That's probably it. I have really bad veins because of repeated hospitalizations and IVs, and some nurses are really good with starting IVs. Even if they don't get in, I don't feel it. Others though, like you mention, it's torture.

There is usually a limiter placed on a morphine pump.  So you can hit it all that you like, but there is a maximum dosage allowed, unless Dr. Jameson issues one without a limiter.  

You program the pumps. I've been on PCA pumps before, but with dilaudid, and they've had to reprogram them so I can get a higher dosage and get it more frequently. So they could program it so she could get as much morphine as she needed to achieve that end.

• Love 1

There is usually a limiter placed on a morphine pump.

In real life, is it possible to do what Dr. James was telling the terminal patient to do? I mean, are medical folks allowed to program a morphine pump to allow an OD or whatever it is? And if so, is it not questioned because a terminal patient's death is always labeled as a natural death? I know coroners get involved when it is not known what caused a death.

Thanks for the edification on the flatulence scene! It went over my head for some reason, probably because I didn't attribute the subsequent farting to Dawn. Hehe.

Ah yes! Carrie Preston! I watched all seven seasons of True Blood and yet I failed to recognize her without the fiery red tresses and Southern drawl. Even in other roles I've seen her in, she always has a hint of an accent or a certain cadence which was distinctly absent in this role.

HBO absolutely must renew this little gem for another season!

• Love 5

In real life, is it possible to do what Dr. James was telling the terminal patient to do? I mean, are medical folks allowed to program a morphine pump to allow an OD or whatever it is? And if so, is it not questioned because a terminal patient's death is always labeled as a natural death? I know coroners get involved when it is not known what caused a death.

There is a difference between what can be done and what is supposed to be done.  It is possible to have a pump without a limit (which is typically not done with these types of meds and may not be allowed) or to set the limit to a point that a person could choose to OD; that is, they can keep hitting it, getting enough morphine often enough that they stop their breathing.  However, if the pump has a limit it does have to be programmed.  It is hard to find someone willing to program it to that level because this would be noted on their chart.  If the chart was reviewed, the person who chose to allow the high level of morphine could be at risk.  With that said, people have found ways around the limiters before.  In desperate situations, there is always a way.  

• Love 3

If I recall correctly, didn't they first have sex when Patsy was very drunk and they either were someplace or watched something that was a bit homoerotic, so the implication was that Patsy was riled up from watching the menfolk, then drunkenly had sex with Dawn?  Her announcing, "I think I have an anal fissure.  You're my boyfriend" was one of my favorite lines on this show.  His "deep respect" shown as his inability to penetrate her is another clue that to anyone but Dawn suggests he is not attracted to her and her lady parts.  His respect is so deep he can't get deep.  (I'll let myself out). 

• Love 4

Wow, this episode was firing on all cylinders.  I agree that Laurie Metcalfe should send this episode in for her Emmy nomination and I would hope she would get it and win.  The only bad part is if she is submitting as lead or supporting, b/c if it is as lead then she has tough competition from JLD.

The did the male doctor intern purposely send that photo out after Dr. James ripped him a new one last week?  He seems kind of cocky and mischievous, like he has it out for everyone.

I can't figure out Patsy and Dawn, but damn if I wasn't proud for Dawn laying it all out there for Patsy in that stairwell, that speech was very sad about "all I wanted was to become the person I was meant to be, instead of being the fucking me that I am."  I forget sometimes how great an actress Alex Borstein can be when she isn't delivering Seth McFarland's dirty jokes and drivel of dialogue.  I'm guessing that since she told Patsy off her will show more interest in her.

"I lost our child that never existed," it's like some weird Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf type game w/these two.

Can someone explain Nurse Patsy de la Serda, b/c i'm sorry but what does he do all day?  As the lead/charge/head nurse, doesn't he still have to help out w/patients?  I think they could get rid of him as a character and brings someone else in that can undermine the other nurses and doctors.

I forgot to mention that I was thinking it was Amy Ryan at first as the terminal cancer patient, but then realized it was Elsbeth Tascioni from the Good Wife.  Carrie Preston and Amy Ryan always confuse me b/c they could be twin sisters they look alike so much.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 3

Jenna: Like sands through the hour glass, so go the days of our lives. Who said that? Walt Whitman?

Didi: I think it's some soap opera.

that speech was very sad about "all I wanted was to become the person I was meant to be, instead of being the fucking me that I am."

Sheer brilliance.  That's Dawn in her own little nutshell.

I absolutely LOVED Didi giving Carrie Preston the Mata Hari makeover.

And the disgusted look on Miss Birdie's face while she's eating and Dr. James is ecstatically rambling on about fecal incontinence.

It's very rare that a TV show can make me laugh while choking back tears. I do hope we get another season of this show.

Hopefully I'll be able to comment more later, after I've slid down a bannister and identified an anonymous vulva.

• Love 7

I forgot to mention that I was thinking it was Amy Ryan at first as the terminal cancer patient, but then realized it was Elsbeth Tascioni from the Good Wife.  Carrie Preston and Amy Ryan always confuse me

I often conflate them, too. One will immediately make me think of the other, and in this case I first thought of Amy Ryan. I wouldn't say they look alike, but they have the same type of look. 

• Love 1
Can someone explain Nurse Patsy de la Serda, b/c i'm sorry but what does he do all day?  

That's the point!  We've all worked places where someone "in charge" was simply a waste of space and, possibly, an irritant.

Thanks for the edification on the flatulence scene! It went over my head for some reason, probably because I didn't attribute the subsequent farting to Dawn. Hehe.

I hope you can watch that scene again sometime, Rahul.  Dawn has to squint her eyes while she squeezes out a little one.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 2

This may have been the best one yet.  Undersung hero?  The union rep.  She had me at that first discrimination meeting with Patsy and Didi, held me through "This meeting is being recorded, and ____ is taking notes.  Speak freely" and now her exasperation with DiDi pointing out that the vulva wasn't black.  She's just so beautifully, bureaucratically useless!

I am going to have to have a talk with my nurse friend, because I wasn't aware that, um, shrinkage was a physiological inevitability.  Not that I've ever given thought to it before.  Or care to.  But now I've got to know.

• Love 2

Have anyone else seen the original UK version? I highly recommend you seek it out if you haven't, and I doubt it will spoil the American version for you. There are similar storylines and sometimes identical, particularly during the first season, but because the NHS and the system in America are so different, and the actors are so different, the shows can be enjoyed in their own right much more than many other original vs. remake shows I've seen. The British actors are equally brilliant and the trio also created and wrote all the episodes (three seasons, 15 episodes in total).

I guess I prefer the original but the HBO version comes close. I wasn't even that apprehensive about a remake because of the network, and I'm so glad it didn't disappoint.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 3

I'm curious about the original version. I think the HBO version doesn't pull any punches. It doesn't seem to be a watered-down version, just Americanized -- which isn't always a bad thing, as is proven here!

I like Jo Brand -- I've only seen her on panel shows. What role does she play in the original?

• Love 1

Jo plays the Didi part (who's called Kim Wilde), and brilliantly so. I too love her from panel shows and she's quite different from her usual persona here, while still being Jo Brand, you know?

The American version isn't watered down at all, which I predicted it wouldn't be since it's on HBO. As you say, it's simply an American version, not a an American network television version.

The first season only have three episodes so the first season of Getting On US kind of covers the first and second season (which had six episodes) of the original, and now the second season covers certain things from the original. But even though many things stay the same I don't mind at all that I'm watching it "again", because it's still different enough. The characters are only based on the originals and are far from copies. If you stuck all four (counting De La Serda and Hilary, as is his name in the UK) main characters from both series together on a show they would all have distinct, separate personalities. And I don't remember saying "That was so much better in the original" many times, if ever.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 3

The did the male doctor intern purposely send that photo out after Dr. James ripped him a new one last week?  He seems kind of cocky and mischievous, like he has it out for everyone.

I wondered about that, too. They only showed that short conversation about the vagina photos, so it could go either way. People have made dumb mistakes like that before, but I could also see him getting back at Dr James.

I forgot to mention that I was thinking it was Amy Ryan at first as the terminal cancer patient, but then realized it was Elsbeth Tascioni from the Good Wife.  Carrie Preston and Amy Ryan always confuse me b/c they could be twin sisters they look alike so much.

Oh, I feel so much better. The first name that popped into my head was Amy Ryan, but I knew that wasn't right. I came up with Carrie Preston a few minutes later. Her red hair is usually the giveaway. Their voices are even similar in a case like this, where Preston was playing a relatively restrained person.

I wondered about that, too. They only showed that short conversation about the vagina photos, so it could go either way. People have made dumb mistakes like that before, but I could also see him getting back at Dr James.

I just remembered there was a scene where Didi was having trouble making her Christmas card on the computer and Dawn helped her with the font size. Dawn also commented on how funny the dogs eyes looked. I bet that was when Didi accidentally sent the vulva shot.

I totally did not get the fart scene.  Even with the clarification you guys supplied, that's really a weird scene.  Weren't there three farts?  I can't believe I'm overthinking this.

Also when Didi was making her card, did she say they were dead dogs?  I missed something there.