Type keyword(s) to search

Getting On - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Why you should always give people another chance Niecy Nash was always just some loud person who I had  idea why they were a celebrity and was skeptical but I really like  her as nurse Didi.

• Love 5

Loved the conversation between Dr. James and Suzi what's-her-face behind the credits. Jayma Mays rattled that corporate jargon off as if she'd been saying it every day of her life since she was seven. Dr. James is nothing but cunning in protection of her research.

• Love 1

I fucking love this show, perhaps even more than The Comeback. I hope the heat around TC funnels more viewers to GO. I wouldn't even make the comparison to Enlightened because Enlightened was SO quiet and understated - it really was a character study more than anything (not that I didn't think Enlightened was one of the best shows of the decade). Getting On is loud-out-loud funny, such as tonight's scene with the bed, and I hope that will play in its favor.

• Love 2

I'm a Laurie Metcalf fan as many others are, and that's what drove me to this show (although I won't watch that McCarthy's show on CBS...yuck)....well that and free HBO for a year though my cable company.  I watched the entire first season this past Friday before the S2 premiere last night.  I love this show and the three main characters are great, Metcalf, Borstein, and Nash are just perfection to me.

The retractable bed scene was great, w/Borstein doing some great physical comedy trying to keep that bed and patient together, as well as the motion detector lights bathroom scene.  I was excited to see Magda from SatC show up, and I hope she is a recurring character this season, and I hope they bring back June Squibb as well.  Dr James is so manic, yet nuanced and I hope she can eventually take down Dr. Stickley eventually.  He is so despicable and I was glad she had him over a barrel until it was revealed he was now her boss.  I really felt bad for her in that situation.  I can't stand Nurse de la Serda and I really hope when he figures out which way he swings that the three gals can take him down as a team, b/c he is just ridiculous.  This show is just perfect.

• Love 3

Very good episode, with some really funny scenes and some great sweet scenes. My favorite was the scene with Didi talking with the patient who had a picture of her daughter. Didi starts by humoring her about being able to bring people back, and you think it's simply a woman who is a bit strange, until it is revealed she lost her daughter (to murder?). Niecy Nash played that whole scene beautifully.

Also loved Dawn finally going off on Dr. James and her ridiculous "research," which it seems is also a way for the doctor to line her pockets at the hospital's expense. Interesting tag with the hospice facilitator, too.

• Love 4

Gah, this show.  It's so funny and cringe-worthy and painfully honest.  This has to be the best comedy that no one watches, and that is just sad.

Laurie, Alex and Niecy are all brilliant.  Adding Mary Kay Place to the mix is just more icing on the cake.

And as if Dawn didn't have enough problems, she's pregnant and lying to DiDi about who the father is.

Miss Birdy is still there! Even if she is in a fake coma.

I want to rewatch it so I can comment more later, but right now I'm too busy with my comprehensive study of vaginal atrophy and gender flips.

• Love 3

I love this show, too. I haven't rewatched S1, so I'm trying to remember some of the stuff that happened. Did Dawn have sex only with Patsy? I was thinking there was someone else, but of course I could be wrong.

I always love Laurie Metcalf, and she's so fantastic in this. What a great character. But I don't want to take away from anyone else. Alex Borstein and Niecy Nash are amazing as well. 

There are so many funny things they all say, but it goes by so fast I can't catch it all. 

Nice to have this show back.

I love this show, too. I haven't rewatched S1, so I'm trying to remember some of the stuff that happened. Did Dawn have sex only with Patsy? I was thinking there was someone else, but of course I could be wrong.

I was thinking she had a one-night stand (or very short relationship) around the time she started "dating" Patsy.  I didn't rewatch Season 1 before this season started, though, so like you, I could be misremembering.

I think (this is horrible b/c I just watched the whole first season on Friday) that Dawn has only been w/Patsy since the series started.  I think she has alluded to other men when over-sharing w/DiDi, but it's just a cover b/c...well DiDi figures Patsy is gay and can't figure out what the two of them are doing exactly w/these hookups.

I was excited to see Magda from SatC show up, and I hope she is a recurring character this season...

I've been seeing Lynn Cohen show up in a bunch of stuff lately, and she knocks it out of the park every time. (She was hilarious in her scene as Bubby in the hilarious rom-com parody They Came Together with Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd.)

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

My favorite show is  back! I love the perfect blend of pathos and laughs, because that's life.

Miss Birdy playin' possum is hilarious.

Patsy's and Dawn's scenes are brilliant. So many quick little nuances between them, as he tries to figure out what he wants from her and manipulate her as well. Her little face shows her struggles to keep up with him. That sunbeam smile she shot him was pure joy in her moment. She doesn't get many of those.

We should all have a DiDi at the end of our lives. I did not realize she is "only" an LPN. She does all that hard work for $12.44 an hour!

Anyone who has dealt with big hospitals, home-health care, hospices and Medicare will appreciate the genius of Dr. James' closing chat. And I recognized Jayma Mays from Glee.

• Love 4

*sigh*

So excited that our show (tee-hee) is back.  I literally smiled, giggled, and chuckled at just about every scene but I laughed my ass off at that entire bathroom scene: "Nurse de la Serda and his fucking motion sensor lights..."  HA!  I can't stand his fake ass, with his stupid campaigns.  I did chuckle at that zen waterfall glass panel, though, looks like more of his "customer service".

Niecy Nash is so brilliant on this show, seriously.  I was a fan of her brand of sassy one-liners and the perpetual flower-in-hair, but DiDi Ortley is LIGHT YEARS away from the host of "Clean House" and Raineesha Williams on "Reno 911!".  Amazing to see her range and growth as an actor.  That scene with Mrs. Roth nearly broke me up, so good.

Ugh, Dr. Stickley went from Jenna's kinda-sorta-crush to making her life a nightmare at Billy Barnes.  He looked so ugly in that scene...ally no more!  I've had cantankerous relationships with my bosses, so I almost feel horrible for the shitstorm that's a-brewin' for Jenna...except her total lack of empathy.  "Worthless and less worthless"?  Really, bitch?  I so felt for Dawn in that blowup at the meeting (even though we realize that hormones were a factor).  Jenna needs this dose of karma.

• Love 2

When DiDi brought up all she was asking for was $0.28 an hour, I loved Nurse de la Serda's face. If he would have shut the hell up, and actually read her letter it wouldn't have been such a shock. I know he was thinking that she was asking for dollars more an hour, but he is such a dick and just as bad as Jenna in being hands off. What does he do all day really? He seems to stay in his office and come up w/all these damn rules like motion sensor light in the bathroom that last seconds and having a reader board showing how clean the staff is and that is too damn fast to read in general.

I did like that they got rid of the fountain though, b/c let's face it...only a matter of time before the patients started urinating and pooping in it.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1

He seems to stay in his office and come up w/all these damn rules like motion sensor light in the bathroom that last seconds and having a reader board showing how clean the staff is and that is too damn fast to read in general.

And then treats a 65% hand-washing compliance rate as something to celebrate!

• Love 1

Why you should always give people another chance Niecy Nash was always just some loud person who I had  idea why they were a celebrity and was skeptical but I really like  her as nurse Didi.

I thought the same! I just watched the first few episodes of the first season, and I really enjoyed the warmth she portrayed. I was surprised at how good she was in the role.

• Love 2

Loved seeing the great Betty Buckley.

This show does physical comedy very well. Poor unflapplable Didi nearly lost it with the hysterical Patsy.

Whoever wrote the dialogue about profits  and how to work the hospice/hospital/medicare system deserves an award.

• Love 3

This show is just fantastic. I am moved to both tears and laughter when watching. The acting, writing, and directing are phenomenal. This episode with the alcoholic patient really hit home for me as my family struggles with this and we've lost family members who can't or refuse to stop drinking. They all go down fighting from that last drink. So real.

• Love 1

Loved seeing the great Betty Buckley.

It took me a minute to recognize her. She was terrific. I thought her friend was K Callan, but according to the credits I was mistaken.

Whoever wrote the dialogue about profits  and how to work the hospice/hospital/medicare system deserves an award.

Amen. It is fantastic. And disturbing.

I was cracking up when Dawn and Patsy are sitting alone together after Patsy learns that Dawn's pregnant. Dawn was completely oblivious to the panic that Patsy was exhibiting. His face was amazing. Like I said, I was cracking up. I think this is the most that he has ever made me laugh.

I'm also -- as always -- impressed by Laurie Metcalf. Jenna is such a fantastic character. She's often exasperating and unlikable, but when she's really trying to help patients, she shows she's a good doctor. Metcalf's line deliveries are so good. I really hope she gets an Emmy nod.

• Love 2

I loved the look that DiDi gave Patsy when Paula revealed Dawn's pregnancy at the council meeting. Paula has 2 or 3 pens in her nest of hair at all times.

Everything between Dawn and Patsy was cringe-worthy and funny.  Dawn eating the cream out of the Hostess Cupcake killed me for some reason.

Dr. James really has no patience whatsoever for anything or anyone, except her patients...sometimes.  Yes, Laurie Metcalf needs an Emmy for this. So does Alex Borstein.

The scene with the new assistant "who is pleased to sink his teeth into vaginal atrophy" was funny after apologizing to Miss Spinny about his fat fingers.  "Oh, I don't mind."

And I knew that Betty Buckley's character had overheard Dawn talking about the hand cleanser containing 90% alcohol.  It was then that she asked DiDi to hold her hand. 

I would love to comment further but I must run out and put down a two-month deposit on an apartment that has a water feature.

• Love 5

IMO she asked DiDi to hold her hand because she overheard Dawn talking about the alcohol content in the soap. She was so desperate for a drink, knowing full well that drinking that mess might indeed kill her, she was trying hard to resist the temptation.and was really reaching out to DiDi at that moment.

I went back and watched that scene again. It was a tad heartbreaking.

• Love 3

IMO she asked DiDi to hold her hand because she overheard Dawn talking about the alcohol content in the soap. She was so desperate for a drink, knowing full well that drinking that mess might indeed kill her, she was trying hard to resist the temptation.and was really reaching out to DiDi at that moment.

After seeing her OD on hand sanitizer later, I was wondering if Didi had just used it before Betty Buckley asked Didi to hold her hand.  I wondered if after Didi left she licked her hand to see if any alcohol had transferred to it.

The pregnancy reveal scene with Dawn and Patsy was so brilliant - both funny and sad.  She refuses to hear what he is saying.  He is too careful to really blurt it out.  

• Love 1

Dawn's so deep in denial about Patsy.  Too bad she's so damn smart -- makes it hurt more. 

Is she smart? That's not my impression. I mean, she's a good person, and there are other important things to be in the world besides smart, but smart doesn't leap to the forefront of my mind when I think of her qualities. Just interested to hear why you say so.

As for the hospice/Medicare dialogue, I could tell some cynical stuff was flying fast and furious, but it was flying too fast for me to track with it. Can someone summarize?

• Love 1

Yes, she has a huge mental block when it comes to seeing her life as it really is. She creates her future the way she wants it to be and then assumes that everyone is on board and seeing things exactly as she does. I want to slap her upside the head with a mackerel to get her to wake up, but at the same time I feel so very sorry for her. Alex Borstein is great in the role, because she lets the vulnerability through Dawn's annoying personality traits. 

I was cracking up when Dawn and Patsy are sitting alone together after Patsy learns that Dawn's pregnant. Dawn was completely oblivious to the panic that Patsy was exhibiting. His face was amazing. Like I said, I was cracking up. I think this is the most that he has ever made me laugh.

Oh, yes. And then later Dawn told him (paraphrasing here) that while it probably seemed as if it was her announcement that they were getting an expensive apartment together on top of learning he was to become a father that caused his panic attack, it really was something deeper. 

Agreed. Up to that point, she had been almost celebrating and flaunting her alcoholism, as if it was a wonderful way of life that the peons around her couldn't get. That was a moment when the bravado wore off and life was real. My take on her is that she is so intelligent and high-functioning that she has been able to get by with not confronting her addiction until just recently, and now it's almost too late. 

It was interesting that Didi hesitated to go in there and take her hand, as if she was suspicious of that question being a trick. 

Every episode is an amazing collection of carefully drawn and acted secondary characters. When I think back to how little screen time any of them (usually patients) has, it's all the more impressive how vivid they are in my mind. 

• Love 2

I didn't think it was possible for me to love this show more than I did, then we saw -

- Dr. James waxing poetic about mouse genitalia

- "I used to be a rock hound.  I always got my agates", said while patting a napkin on the doctor's genitalia.  She certainly was hounding for rocks.

- Didi's baking soda in her butt crack walk

- Patsy tossing Dawn over his shoulder and carrying her off for "me time"

- The wonderful Alia Shawkat

- "Wet signatures"

- Miss Birdy being wheeled to the morgue (That is commitment!) 

- Dawn's face when she was talking without moving her lips so the deaf patient couldn't read them

- The totally nuts translation.  I think we all have problems with ducks in our ears at one time or another.

- Dr. James "trapped in a deaf sandwich"

Perhaps Dr. James' family won't let her have rodents in the house because they don't want to watch a vivisection.  

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 6

Was anyone else surprised dawn could pick out a tune on the cello?

The arrogant young doctor who didn't bother to test, and the surgeons wanting to do surgery that would not prolong life... Funny and all too painfully true.

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 4