Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

Diamond is so rude. She has a whole bed to share with Ella and chooses to purposely sit on Ella's hindquarters. I wish I could be as relaxed as Ella is when my personal space is invaded like that.

57297830_10157180267634907_906972491618975744_o.jpg

• LOL 5
  • Love 14

LOL, my cat Lily is like that with our other cat Mitsi. Lily's very, very possessive, be it of a particular spot or getting attention from my mom or whatever, and will just shove her way right on in, no matter what. 

Sometimes Mitsi just rolls with that, other times, not so much :p. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Jeez, Jake looks to be approaching this Easter Bunny job with a certain grim determination.😄

There is a job to do and Alli only covers water based places but that leaves the rest  of the world that needs to get their chocolate bunnies and peeps....

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Jeez, Jake looks to be approaching this Easter Bunny job with a certain grim determination.😄

16 minutes ago, bosawks said:

There is a job to do and Alli only covers water based places but that leaves the rest  of the world that needs to get their chocolate bunnies and peeps....

I assumed he was preparing himself for all the screaming children.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Iris has a buddy to help show her the ropes — a golden retriever named Letty. It was thanks to Letty that Iris moved from her crate to the bed.

“Letty can also fit up on the bed with us and help bridge the gap between myself and Iris,” Rocke said. “Iris definitely gravitates to Letty. She trusted her immediately and moved to the bed from the top of the crate to be closer to her.”

I've said it before and I'll say it again: animals are amazing.

Ohhhhhh. Poor baby :(. Bless that woman for taking her in, and I'm glad that Iris is slowly adjusting and feeling a little more comfortable and safe. Hopefully with time she and Letty will be running the place together :D. 

• Love 5

I wish there was a way to block The Dodo from my existence. I have them blocked on Facebook but can still see when my friends share their posts.  Between Buzzfeed, Facebook and now in the pet thread I guess I need to just exit the internet to avoid them.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I'm not familiar with them.  What is the problem?

They are an animal focused website and a source of super sad (and often distressing) animal stories with click-baity headlines highlighting the super sadness (like the headline in the link upthread - its to MSN but it came from The Dodo). I never click on their links. Ever. But reading their click-baity headlines is also super distressing.

• Love 2

I hope this is the right place to type this.

I know I'm being selfish, but since my complex doesn't allow pets, and so, don't have any fur babies, whenever I see doggies on the Metro, I just want to ask if I can pet them. But I can't, because they're not pets. Most often than not, they're working--they are seeing eye dogs. But the one I saw this morning, a black lab, just looked so sad. And he snuffled and sniffed my ankle before leaving the train. Did that mean it wanted a stroke or pat? I dunno.

Yes, I have doggie envy. And it's been two years since I saw my grand-nephew, Ralphie. The Husky. I have to content myself with watching his pictures, since my niece, his mum, created an instagram account for him. I'm hoping to visit him later, when summer starts. Drive up to Jersey.

I'm a terrible, needy, selfish wench.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Most often than not, they're working--they are seeing eye dogs. But the one I saw this morning, a black lab, just looked so sad. And he snuffled and sniffed my ankle before leaving the train. Did that mean it wanted a stroke or pat? I dunno.

The general rule for seeing eye dogs is that when the square harness handle is up and in the person's hand, the dog is working.  When it's down it's okay to ask if it's okay to talk to it and pet it.  Really you should always ask first whether it's a service dog or not.

Are you in a position to be able to volunteer a couple of hours a week or so at a dog rescue?

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 6

I used to time trips to Petco to coincide with dog events like vaccination day or training day just so I could pet other people's dogs. I would tell the cats it was to give them exciting new scents to smell on my clothes and hands.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

In the grand scheme of things, this sweet little girl wasn't in my life all that long, but she left little paw prints on my heart that will be there forever. And since the only thing she liked more than cookies was car rides, I'll have bits of red fur in the Durango forever as well. Sweet Denali would have been 11 today. Rest well.

JM_2018_10_21_Denali_004-XL.jpg

• Love 20
7 hours ago, Moose135 said:

In the grand scheme of things, this sweet little girl wasn't in my life all that long, but she left little paw prints on my heart that will be there forever. And since the only thing she liked more than cookies was car rides, I'll have bits of red fur in the Durango forever as well. Sweet Denali would have been 11 today. Rest well.

JM_2018_10_21_Denali_004-XL.jpg

She left a few paw prints on my heart as well, @Moose135.  Thank you for sharing all her lovely pictures with us.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 13
On 4/24/2019 at 12:03 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I hope this is the right place to type this.

I know I'm being selfish, but since my complex doesn't allow pets, and so, don't have any fur babies, whenever I see doggies on the Metro, I just want to ask if I can pet them. But I can't, because they're not pets. Most often than not, they're working--they are seeing eye dogs. But the one I saw this morning, a black lab, just looked so sad. And he snuffled and sniffed my ankle before leaving the train. Did that mean it wanted a stroke or pat? I dunno.

Yes, I have doggie envy. And it's been two years since I saw my grand-nephew, Ralphie. The Husky. I have to content myself with watching his pictures, since my niece, his mum, created an instagram account for him. I'm hoping to visit him later, when summer starts. Drive up to Jersey.

I'm a terrible, needy, selfish wench.

When I was walking Knox this week I passed a girl with a real sweet and excited dog. As we pet people do I said “love your dog!”  She said “he’s not mine. I live in an apartment where they’re not allowed but go to the shelter and they let me take them out for walks and fun”.  One, my happiness factor went up and two, maybe you could do that if it’s allowed!

• Love 12

Please look at this little bun-bun that greeted me when I got home from work today! Look at its little white spot on its forehead! Look at its little stubby tail! LOOK AT IT! I LOVE IT!! 😍

PhotoPictureResizer_190504_180357383_crop_1523x1523-761x761.thumb.jpg.d7b8c9416605d1257c789e2665062e8b.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_190504_180605125_crop_2048x2048-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.1f1c696e8d083840d7f905850195bbec.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_190504_180639332_crop_2223x2223-1111x1111.thumb.jpg.0aedd4674eca5596f867d32b4f8e68f9.jpg

• Love 20
19 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Please look at this little bun-bun that greeted me when I got home from work today! Look at its little white spot on its forehead! Look at its little stubby tail! LOOK AT IT! I LOVE IT!! 😍

PhotoPictureResizer_190504_180357383_crop_1523x1523-761x761.thumb.jpg.d7b8c9416605d1257c789e2665062e8b.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_190504_180605125_crop_2048x2048-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.1f1c696e8d083840d7f905850195bbec.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_190504_180639332_crop_2223x2223-1111x1111.thumb.jpg.0aedd4674eca5596f867d32b4f8e68f9.jpg

We usually have a bunch of bunnies in the spring. Last year I came home after dark and saw 4 or 5 bunnies grazing in my back yard. I went inside and got Kitty Gunderson the Elder (RIP) and took her to the back window so she could watch them. We must have stood there for at least 10 minutes just watching them eat, Kitty purring the whole time and watching them so intently! She was a fierce hunter (in her own mind).

• Love 11

When we take Jake for a walk and he sees a little bunny, he absolutely loses his mind!  He tugs at the leash and is completely obsessed with getting the bunny, ignoring anything we say to him. And he remembers where he encounters bunnies - take him for a walk and pass a spot where he had seen one before, he starts pulling and sniffing, trying to find that bunny.

• Love 9

I had never seen one at my current apartment. It's very close to a major/very busy secondary road. There are some wooded areas adjacent to the complex, but that little bun must've been a ways from his or her hidey-hole. My building is closer to the road and kind of between a shopping center and the rest of the complex.

I see cute little chipmunks once in a while, but they are so fast that I can never get a picture.

• Love 3

I've had a wildlife extravaganza at my house lately. First, it was Jimbo, the world's largest opossum (this thing was the size of a terrier, I swear). He dug a huge hole under my foundation and tried to move in. When I blocked that up he tried to get under again by a bay window at the back of my house (this was during the day so he was a little confused). I opened the window and explained he couldn't live under my house but the neighbors have moved out and he could have free reign over there. He seemed to understand and waddled over the fence into their backyard. 

Now I have the world's dumbest woodpecker, who can't tell the difference between wood and metal. At 7am every day he's hammering away at the gutters, rattling the whole house.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

When I was growing up, we had a woodpecker like that. Fortunately(?), he pecked on the gutters on the end of the house that was opposite our bedrooms, but still. It was an extremely annoying sound at dawn.

I very much like that you named the possom "Jimbo".

• Love 3
5 hours ago, emma675 said:

I've had a wildlife extravaganza at my house lately. First, it was Jimbo, the world's largest opossum (this thing was the size of a terrier, I swear). He dug a huge hole under my foundation and tried to move in. When I blocked that up he tried to get under again by a bay window at the back of my house (this was during the day so he was a little confused). I opened the window and explained he couldn't live under my house but the neighbors have moved out and he could have free reign over there. He seemed to understand and waddled over the fence into their backyard. 

I'm sorry Jimbo was such a PITA but those last two sentences really cracked me up. 😄

• Love 3
6 hours ago, emma675 said:

He seemed to understand and waddled over the fence into their backyard. 

Whoo, I hope he survives the move.  I love possums but I know a lot of people don't.  Fuck those people, I love neighborhood critters. Even more since I live in Dirty Old New York - if animals don't want to live where we are - why are WE where we are?  I'd rather deal with a wily raccoon than some of the neighbors I've had.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, emma675 said:

Now I have the world's dumbest woodpecker, who can't tell the difference between wood and metal. At 7am every day he's hammering away at the gutters, rattling the whole house.

He's not dumb, he's just horny. I was going to try to explain in my own words, but why do that when I can just pull a better worded explanation right off the internet! (Also 7 A.M.? Lucky! My red bellied woodpecker is big fan of my metal chimney cap, and crack of dawn seems to be his time of choice.)

Q: Why do woodpeckers peck on metal. We have one that pecks on our satellite dish, then moves to the neighbors dish, and also, the metal chimney flu. Why?

SUE

A: Some male woodpeckers are smarter than others. And the smartest choose the noisiest object they can find to tap - tap - tap on.

While some are apparently content to tap on a tree, and not just any tree, but one that resonates to their satisfaction, others, perhaps because they have found something louder than the perfect tree, or in lieu of trees altogether, go for metal.

When TV antennas first came out and were discovered by woodpeckers, they became the sounding board of choice. Apparently, the satellite dish has replaced the metal antenna and pole.

When we lived next to the Main Street Cemetery in Dalton, a downy woodpecker chose the "No Pets Allowed" sign at the entrance as its "tree" of choice.

Now for the why: Male woodpeckers are not drilling for insect food, but calling for a mate. And the louder, the more important the male, and the better his chance of attracting a lady woodpecker as his mate.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Damn horny woodpeckers. 

Also, opossums are awesome. If you don't think so, Google them.

My Labrador Danny (he's pictured in here a few times) one time brought an opossum on to my back porch and sat on it. It was fall, so it was dark out but still early in the evening. When I called my dog into the house, I got a look at the opossum and there he was on my porch, on his back, legs up, tongue hanging out of his mouth, eyes closed, but I was pretty sure he was still breathing. So I shut off the porch light, closed the blinds and waited 15 minutes.

When I flipped the light back on, he was gone.  Yep, he was literally playing possum. It was a good move.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

My Labrador Danny (he's pictured in here a few times) one time brought an opossum on to my back porch and sat on it. It was fall, so it was dark out but still early in the evening. When I called my dog into the house, I got a look at the opossum and there he was on my porch, on his back, legs up, tongue hanging out of his mouth, eyes closed, but I was pretty sure he was still breathing. So I shut off the porch light, closed the blinds and waited 15 minutes.

When I flipped the light back on, he was gone.  Yep, he was literally playing possum. It was a good move.

Haha! That would have scared me so much. I’ll never forget when Knox and I were on a walk at prior apt complex and she had a dead rat in her mouth after veering on her leash. 

I went to a new male neighbor (sorry to all women but I couldn’t do it) as she was so animalistic -ugh that memory!  Poor neighbor opened her like the jaws of life and got it out. 

Possums are good little animals but I have a fear of either The Neverending Story or Princess Bride- haven’t seen either since youth but there’s an attack and I have such a fear of that with them. Even though I know it was a fictional animal whichever it was doesn’t matter. I equated it and hold to this day a fear of a possum attack. 

• Love 2

I've always had opossums come through my yard at night (among other critters), and for a while years back I had one living in my stack of firewood.  She/he had disproportionately large ears, so I named her/him Mickey.  Maddie and I (Baxter was already gone by this point) weren't often still out in the backyard by the time Mickey would venture out, but every once in a while we crossed paths, and the two critters would just stare, sniff, and keep their distance.  Since both species hiss, I was expecting a hiss-off (especially since Maddie was prone to conversations with squirrels and crows - and one enamored skunk [who, of course, promptly became Pepé Le Pew]), but it never happened.

I once found two dead - really most sincerely dead - opossums in my yard, with no visible wounds, so I suspected they were collateral damage from someone using poison, rather than traps, to target their rat problem.  I hope that shit is outlawed (there's a bill pending in CA).

And then there was the seemingly dead opossum at my parents' house, who turned out to be playing possum; I happened to be looking out the window when she/he got up and carried on.  They really do play at being dead quite believably.

Opossums are in the "so ugly they're cute" category for me, and I rather miss Mickey.  I had another one on top of the wood stack a couple of years ago when I took trash out one night, so I thought perhaps someone new had taken up residence, but it seems she/he was just visiting. 

• Love 8

My backyard semi-feral cats share their food with all kinds of critters, including possums, skunks, my TV watching Mama raccoon & her offspring, and at this time of the year, the starlings.  Starlings are raising their young, and are absolutely fearless about feeding at the cat food dishes and water bowls all day long.  Happily, my cats have zero interest in chasing them, and pay no attention when those bold birds feed a few feet away from their napping spots.

• Love 6

Two stories (so I suppose because things come in threes that another will happen soon although I certainly hope not):

1) In NOLA after the crawfish boil I heard a noise. A young-ish opossum had gotten into one of those big plastic construction buckets and couldn’t get out. So my friend took a tray and covered it. I said ok, now let me go let the critter go. She said no, that they weren’t a animal friendly house. I told her I would take it off property, and still got a hard no. Her husband came home. He wanted to either shoot it or chop its head off with an axe. Ye gads. I was horrified. I protested strong and passionately. He said he would drop it off somewhere on his way to work the next morning. I couldn’t help myself, but kept asking to let it go in numerous situations. The next day he had forgotten about it. Shhh...I took it off property and let it go. Our secret. 

2) Yesterday there was a rattling noise. When outside I narrowed it down to my gutter downspout. There have been some birds lately in that area so I supposed one had gotten stuck. I enlisted my neighbor to help me (grudgingly) take the downspout apart and sure enough there was the bird. It popped out. Scared, but unhurt. It flew away and they haven’t been back to that area since. 

I don’t understand people who can’t care what happens to animals and think it’s ok to let them die due to their circumstance or because it had the nerve to trespass.  

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don’t understand people who can’t care what happens to animals and think it’s ok to let them die due to their circumstance or because it had the nerve to trespass.  

Agreed. If I can help see to it they get to a safe place, or if I can find somebody who better knows how to do that, I will. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Two stories (so I suppose because things come in threes that another will happen soon although I certainly hope not):

1) In NOLA after the crawfish boil I heard a noise. A young-ish opossum had gotten into one of those big plastic construction buckets and couldn’t get out. So my friend took a tray and covered it. I said ok, now let me go let the critter go. She said no, that they weren’t a animal friendly house. I told her I would take it off property, and still got a hard no. Her husband came home. He wanted to either shoot it or chop its head off with an axe. Ye gads. I was horrified. I protested strong and passionately. He said he would drop it off somewhere on his way to work the next morning. I couldn’t help myself, but kept asking to let it go in numerous situations. The next day he had forgotten about it. Shhh...I took it off property and let it go. Our secret. 

2) Yesterday there was a rattling noise. When outside I narrowed it down to my gutter downspout. There have been some birds lately in that area so I supposed one had gotten stuck. I enlisted my neighbor to help me (grudgingly) take the downspout apart and sure enough there was the bird. It popped out. Scared, but unhurt. It flew away and they haven’t been back to that area since. 

Bless you.  The Universe is a better place for having you in it.  My world is infinitely better  for having you in it, too.

I've only had one issue with a fellow poster (who shall remain nameless).  She regaled me with what she thought was a Southern Charming/Hillbilly story about a custom they call a "possum drop".  Wherein a poor unsuspecting possum gets stuffed in a box, hauled up a tree, and dropped - all to the merry laughter of a bunch of drunken retrogrades.  She tried to convince me the possum wasn't harmed.  I suggested sending a bunch of Hell's Angels to her house in the middle of the night to kidnap her, stuff her in a box, and drop her sorry ass from a tall tree, while I looked on and laughed.

That was years ago, and I still haven't forgiven her.  Every damned time I see one of her posts, I'm thinking "fucking possum dropper".

I am an imperfect person, who apparently holds a grudge for a really long time!

• Love 6
13 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I am an imperfect person, who apparently holds a grudge for a really long time!

I have zero tolerance for people who mistreat animals. None, what-so-ever. 

A good friend of mine has a big 'ol ball of fluff kitty cat who has a tiny litter box. I know it's space constraints but it bothers me so much. Same with people (including another friend of mine) who lets the litter box get full before emptying it. My boys are totally spoiled, their box gets emptied twice, sometimes three times a day. I feel bad if I forget to do it or if I'm slow to get moving on the weekends and they're using it before I had a chance to empty it from the night before.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I have zero tolerance for people who mistreat animals. None, what-so-ever. 

A good friend of mine has a big 'ol ball of fluff kitty cat who has a tiny litter box. I know it's space constraints but it bothers me so much. Same with people (including another friend of mine) who lets the litter box get full before emptying it. My boys are totally spoiled, their box gets emptied twice, sometimes three times a day. I feel bad if I forget to do it or if I'm slow to get moving on the weekends and they're using it before I had a chance to empty it from the night before.

Yeah, I don't get that either. Her Highness gets her litter box scooped multiple times a day: when we get up, before we leave for work, when we get home, before going to sleep, not to mention the "special" times that we have to scoop it or risk being asphyxiated. And she gets a completely fresh box every weekend, filled with special litter because she is sensitive to scent and it has to have the right "grittiness" or she complains (i.e. scratches and flings it like crazy) Kitty Gunderson the Younger loves a clean litter box. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

the "special" times that we have to scoop it or risk being asphyxiated.  

😻👃💀

Not that delicate flower Girl Cat ever creates a toxic stench...

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

Thanks! I can look at animals all day long.  This is what she looked like when she was a puppy. A big fur ball and the older she got, her hair flattened out. It was a bit of a shock.

20190508_193730 (2).jpg

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 4