Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

You are more right than you even know.  My last rescue kitten, the much beloved Babalu,  breathed  LIFE into my senior gentlemen, and eventually stood death watch with them all.  He was my sole comfort during the worst times of my life, including the most devastating loss of my soul-cat.  You think you only have one, but your heart has room for  a few more ...

Now he gets the Senior discount at the vet's office (along with the "multi cat" discount I've had since I had multi cats).  We are growing old together - but he needs shots & pills twice a day, and I do not.  He is my Everything.  And understands the WORST cusswords are terms of endearment.   ;-)

^^^^^^ Beautiful words from a beautiful person! True die-hard animal lovers are really, an army! 

I've not heard of a veterinarian offering a senior discount for a senior pet! That's f'n awesome!

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

^^^^^^ Beautiful words from a beautiful person! True die-hard animal lovers are really, an army! 

I've not heard of a veterinarian offering a senior discount for a senior pet! That's f'n awesome!

Bitch fucking OWES me!  I started her practice, kept it afloat when I had too many cats and a paying J.O.B.  Her last baby is looking at college now, and my last cat is their most beloved senior.

My secret?  A true French bakery down the street - I bring pastries to delight & deflect, and I get the multi-cat/seniors/fruit tartelet discount.  ;=)

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Bitch fucking OWES me!  I started her practice, kept it afloat when I had too many cats and a paying J.O.B.  Her last baby is looking at college now, and my last cat is their most beloved senior.

My secret?  A true French bakery down the street - I bring pastries to delight & deflect, and I get the multi-cat/seniors/fruit tartelet discount.  ;=)

You already won my heart with your deep compassion and love for all animals. But if you want to up the ante with pastry from an authentic French bakery....I'm in! Lol

• Love 4

The mention of the bakery reminds me: I want to do something for the staff at my vet's office for the holidays. They were so thoughtful and compassionate with Kitty Gunderson the Elder (and us) that I'd like to say thank you. Any ideas? Last year I took them a bag full of holiday treats from Williams-Sonoma but wouldn't mind trying something different this year.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

You already won my heart with your deep compassion and love for all animals. But if you want to up the ante with pastry from an authentic French bakery....I'm in! Lol

8 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

The mention of the bakery reminds me: I want to do something for the staff at my vet's office for the holidays. They were so thoughtful and compassionate with Kitty Gunderson the Elder (and us) that I'd like to say thank you. Any ideas? Last year I took them a bag full of holiday treats from Williams-Sonoma but wouldn't mind trying something different this year.

Trust me - my vet techs know to schedule our appointments for a slow Friday afternoon, when I am more likely to stop at Le Rendez--Vous French Bakery.  I have turned my beloved Dr. Cecilia into a tart aux fruits addict.  ;-)

• Love 4

Many many years ago I had a vet give me discounts for multiple animals.

Now I just get worked in when there's not really any room and I've had several emergencies this year.  My vet is awesome, I wish he would be my doctor!  The other 2 in his practice I'm not too fond of though.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Where I used to work, the brokers used to send us Harry & David gift boxes or towers around Christmas.  Good quality items, a nice variety of goodies from fresh fruit to some candy.  As an added bonus, easy to share among co-workers.  Depending on the size of the practice and your budget, this might work.

• Love 2
On 11/5/2018 at 2:50 PM, MargeGunderson said:

On 11/6/2018 at 8:10 AM, DeLurker said:

Where I used to work, the brokers used to send us Harry & David gift boxes or towers around Christmas.  Good quality items, a nice variety of goodies from fresh fruit to some candy.  As an added bonus, easy to share among co-workers.  Depending on the size of the practice and your budget, this might work.

I send Harry and David to my parents when I find a good deal. Edible Arrangements is always a hit, too. I find Harry and David tends to have better deals than Edible Arrangements closer to the holidays.

Saturday afternoon we attended the Rural Hill Sheep Dog Trials and Festival.  They have a variety of activities involving dogs.  "Sheep Dog" doesn't mean the big, fluffy Old English Sheepdogs, but rather dogs that herd sheep - in the case of these trials, most were border collies.  In the trials, the dogs were required to move a group of three sheep down a large hill, through several gates, then separate one from the other two.

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_001-

They also had several demonstrations of agility, with Frisbee and other similar activities.  Here's an Aussie doing her thing.

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_009-

They also had a Punkin Chunkin demo, using a trebuchet to toss pumpkins.

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_018-

One of the more popular events was the Dock Dogs competition - dogs run down the dock then jump into a pool (the pool is 4 feet deep, and 2 feet below the level of the dock) chasing an object thrown by their owner, going for distance.  The longest distance I saw was close to 26 feet!

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_003-

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_004-

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_005-

The other competition involving the pool was the Extreme Vertical competition.  A foam "bumper" is suspended over the pool, 8 feet from the end of the dock and starting 4 1/2 feet above the level of the dock.  The dog runs down the dock, jumps and has to knock the bumper off - it is held in place with magnets, so the dog doesn't necessarily have to grab it, hitting it will usually knock it off.  The dogs go through in sequence, and once all have gone, the bumper is raised, and the cycle repeats.  Dogs are eliminated after two misses.  They were up over 6 feet when we left.  The world record is over 8 feet!

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_011-

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_012-

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_015-

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_013-

We didn't bring Denali, but the whole event is very dog-friendly and we got to see lots of little pups all over the place, like this very friendly Australian Shepherd named Darwin.

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_002-

• Love 18
10 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I worked from home today. Kitties have been sleeping most of the day and instead of his normal pre-bedtime zombies the catcat is sleeping. Now taking bets on what time he decides it's time to play.  

Thanks, auto-correct but CatCat doesn't have pre-bedtime zombies. He has pre-bedtime zoomies. And they slept through the night! They were so good that I overslept and woke up to two kitties curled up next to me.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Thanks, auto-correct but CatCat doesn't have pre-bedtime zombies. He has pre-bedtime zoomies. And they slept through the night! They were so good that I overslept and woke up to two kitties curled up next to me.

That is the most satisfying way to wake up ever. Good for you! 

• Love 2

Little Mama has decided my crotchal area is the best, warmest place to lay now that it's cold. She lays on top of the covers. Little Girl is usually laying beside my right hip. So once we're in bed, there's no moving for me. I love cuddling with my girls, so I guess beggars can't be choosers. They just don't want to be spooners.

• Love 6

Catty Face has begun to push Kook's wayward tennis balls out from underneath the couch & chairs where they often end up (much to his dismay).  Catty Face occasionally bats at them to see what all the fuss is about, but the appeal of the tennis ball escapes him.

• Love 3

The color and size differential reminds me so much of Girl Cat (she's big-boned...) and Grumpy Old Man Cat who was built on a smaller scale.

Today marks one year since he left us. He was so frail at the end, poor old boy. I miss him and look forward to meeting up in the afterlife so he can ignore me as he did in this one.

• Love 11

Little Mama on the right is kind of laying on Little Girl, but, yes, she is the bigger cat. She's about nine pounds; LG is seven and change. LM is stocky whereas LG is long and lean. Here's another recent photo that shows the difference a little better. Mama's on the right. It makes my heart burst when they "hug" each other!

IMG_20181109_212757_crop_755x832.thumb.jpg.f972604c69069bd5e0f667751b961a2b.jpg

• Love 14

@bilgistic My cats, although bigger than yours, look so much the same. Last night they sandwiched me in and I couldn’t even turn over or spread out at all and I agree totally...it’s a nightmare if I have to get up to use the bathroom. Still I wouldn’t trade them in for all the tea in China.  

• Love 5

Sometimes when I return from the bathroom, Riley has so thoroughly moved into my vacated warm spot that I have to move my pillows to the other side of the bed and settle in there - at which point she promptly moves over to join me (she must be on me, pressed right up against me, or curled up between my legs at all times while we sleep, unless it's hot, at which point she sleeps up by my head and keeps a paw on my shoulder to make sure I don't get away).  So I often just nudge her out of the way, reclaim my spot, and she happily snuggles back in.

Maddie and Baxter both had to be touching me, too.  I loathe sharing a bed with another person even without them touching me (which they are not allowed to do - when it's time for sleep, get the hell away from me; I don't even want their nostril air touching me, let alone their physical body), but I am perfectly fine with clingy cats.  I must admit, though, I also enjoy sleeping with Bandit and Chester when I'm cat-sitting at my parents' house -- they cuddle with me, and then sleep in their own spots, only lightly touching me.  It is nice to be able to move so freely (I switch positions multiple times throughout the night).

• Love 12
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I loathe sharing a bed with another person even without them touching me (which they are not allowed to do - when it's time for sleep, get the hell away from me; I don't even want their nostril air touching me, let alone their physical body), but I am perfectly fine with clingy cats.

That is me.  Could not stand breathing in some other human's used air, much less having any part of their body touching me while I sleep, but the kitties can, and do, get away with everything.  Fortunately, they are my sole companions, and have been for many years.

• Love 2

I'm glad she's almost home!  Baxter did the same thing.  He also refused to pee, which was a problem, since they needed to test his urine to see how much of the radioactive iodine remained in his system; it had to get down to a certain level before he could be released.  He was quite the unhappy camper.  I could watch him on a webcam, and the poor guy hardly ever slept, either.  Here are a couple of webcam stills (notice the untouched bowl of the dry food I'd sent with him, since it was his favorite treat in the world):

Baxter in Quarantine 2.jpg

Baxter in Quarantine.jpg

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11

He couldn't sleep away from home even if he wasn't scared -- back when I used to take him and Maddie over to my parents' house, he wouldn't sleep, even when his head and eyes were drooping.  He was fine there (he ate, played, and cuddled), but it wasn't home, so he wasn't going to sleep.  One time we were there for a very long day, and we got home, I put him on the bed and went to the bathroom; he was sound asleep, snoring, by the time I got out.  Twice we had to stay at my parents' house for several days due to tenting for termites (once at my condo and then again at my house), and both times he did not sleep until exhaustion took over on day two.

He'd been hospitalized overnight before, but never for days, plus this was a special facility, with quarantine procedures, so he wasn't even getting the usual interaction with techs he knew.  I knew it was going to be rougher on him than the average cat, but the pills simply weren't working anymore, despite all our tinkering with the dosage (no wonder, once I saw on scintigraphy how large the tumors had become), so it needed to be done.

Hopefully Lily is more pissed off than scared, @EighteenTwelve.  And, yeah, there were times I thought I'd have been better off not looking in on the webcam to confirm he was miserable.  Two people could be signed in at once, and my mom and two of my best friends had the log-in info, too; I had it up on my computer all day, so they had to log in and out to keep from locking each other out.  I wish we could have talked to him, although that probably would have just thoroughly confused him. 

Let us know how she is when you get her home, and how you both do with her at-home quarantine. 

• Love 6

She's home, and has decided that I'm still me, so she's mostly OK with being in quarantine.  Still not eating a lot, but drank all the broth out of a can of wet food and wanted a couple of fragments of cheese when offered.  Hopefully she'll get the idea and eat the rest of the wet food before tomorrow.

• Love 13

I placed some excess grocery bags on top of my cabinets. Diamond decided she was going to nest in them to keep her self warm (its below 70 here, so it is cold for her FL-born and raised self). She is so silly.

46441028_10156819438169907_5422800320377913344_n.jpg

46470452_10156819438204907_6046410295943888896_n.jpg

• Love 20
7 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Like there was ever a cat who could resist going inside a box or a bag.

I've never had a cat that did the bag thing, not even the family cats when I was a kid.  They've been so-so on the boxes too.

I was completely amazed to learn it was a thing that most cats did.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Something must be “off” with my kitties because they’ve never been into bags or boxes. 

My cat who I got as an adult has never been into bags or boxes either. I leave boxes out every so often to see if he'll change his mind. He hasn't as of yet.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Something must be “off” with my kitties because they’ve never been into bags or boxes. 

Neither is Riley, and I always tell her she's going to get kicked out of the cat club for that -- a lifetime of cat ownership, and this is the first time I've had that happen.  Like @Jaded, I periodically leave a box or sack out to see if she has changed her mind.

• Love 3

Heh. When I get a delivery from Amazon the kitten-cat is on top of the box, trying to get in it within seconds of me setting it down.

I once made the cardinal sin of not leaving any boxes behind. I sure heard about it until I bought something else on Amazon.

• Love 5