Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

I really want to stick my face in Sampson's fur.  So much softness!

He was a big ol' tease.  He'd show his tummy (full of fluff).  I'd go to rub it and  he would allow this for about 5 second before getting up, walking just out of arms reach and show his tummy again.

Does anyone know of an effective, pet-safe ant killer to use indoors? Neither PetCo nor PetSmart has anything I can find, so I turn to the collective wisdom of my fellow posters.

This year the ants are coming in around the cats' favorite napping window. In the past, they've come in by the kitchen sink or backdoor where I could spray and put traps away from curious felines but not this time. I've sprayed white vinegar on the sill because it's the only thing I have on hand other than the usual not-pet-safe spray.

Thanks, @harrie! I picked up a can of that, some orange extract (couldn't find orange oil), and concentrated orange plus cleaner. The last two are basically orange oil and alcohol. Once the rain stops and evening comes, I guess I'll find out if the orange plus works. That's the one I decided to try first. Tomorrow I can spray the house perimeter with horrible toxins...I cannot tolerate insect life in my house.

Awww, fluffy belly!

In case anyone else has ant invasions, I tried the EcoSmart spray. As the can and many reviews say, the smell is pungent. It's like very, very strong lifesavers but the aroma faded overnight. It leaves some sticky residue. It was somewhat effective; I saw two ants afterwards where I'd seen a dozen before. Yesterday I sprayed heavy duty stuff around the outside of the house so I'm hoping no more ants this year. Or if they must come in, only in places I can put traps and spray the hell out of.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ooh, those are beeyoooootiful animals, harrie.

Kaidan the Kontortionist

I love the weird positions that cats somehow manage to be comfortable in.  Just one of the many ways that cats provide endless entertainment.

Edited by smrou
  • Love 1

I love the weird positions that cats somehow manage to be comfortable in.  Just one of the many ways that cats provide endless entertainment.

Dogs too! One of my dog's favorite sleeping positions was with her head hung over the rung of a chair about 6 inches off the floor. Which you would think would choke her or at least be uncomfortable but she loved it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

harrie, your pets are gorgeous, what are their names?   I love that your dog just basically strikes a pose for the camera.  Ready for his closeup!  Whenever I take a picture of my dog, she tends to look apprehensive, like maybe I'm listing her for sale or something.  

Edited by stillshimpy
(edited)

Thank you, @smrou and @stillshimpy!  

The dog is Handsome - he came with another name, but picked his current name during a session with an animal communicant.  We don't regularly consult animal communicants (s/k/a pet psychics), but it was at a fundraiser for a rescue; and if she was faking, she gave us some great info that worked. Even being naturally skeptical I was impressed.   The cat is Clyde, named for Walt Frazier (because he's a tuxedo, always dressed to the nines).   If we'd waited a bit, he'd probably be named Rupert Giles, because he books a lot of window time.

Both boys are adopted and very sweet - and they both hate cameras.  Getting a picture is mostly a matter of ensuring the flash is off and catching them off guard.

Edited by harrie
(edited)

That's a super fitting name for Handsome, harrie.  As for talking to the animal communicant/pet psychic, I remember reading an article about pet telepathy and in it one of the dogs discussed was a dog who would get up and go to the door to wait for his person, usually 37 minutes before he arrived home.  The dog would do this no matter what time of day (meaning if his person came home at noon, the dog would go to wait at the door at 11:23, if his person arrived at 6;00 the dog would start his vigil at 5:23) and when they broke it down, it turned out that the dog took up his post at the door when his person was leaving the office...even when that time varied.  

So who the heck knows?  After all something like that doesn't need to be all hocus pocus and "through mists of time I glimpse you..." but rather maybe the communicant just has access to a brain function that we don't yet understand fully.  I think there are a bunch of things we simply don't fully understand, but aren't necessarily based in mysticism.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

@kariyaki, that is too funny. Maybe s/he doesn't want you to go? 

@stillshimpy, the dog who was ultra-tuned in to his person is a wild story - thanks for sharing it.  You're probably right with the thought about having special access to an animal's brain, because the communicant had Handsome looking her in the eye for ten seconds, maybe longer, at a time.  Part of our problem was we couldn't even get eye contact, and we'd had him for a year. She was definitely connecting with him, though.

@kariyaki, that is too funny. Maybe s/he doesn't want you to go?

Ha, he (his name is Danny) doesn't give a rip about whether I'm there or not. He just likes to perch up high. My mom has a whole issue about him climbing on the cars. She couldn't care less about my stepdad's work trucks but she really gets ticked about the Lexus.

I don't know what he thinks he's looking at, he has only one eye and no depth perception.

Does anyone know of an effective, pet-safe ant killer to use indoors?

Boric acid powder.  It's a dessicant and dries them out to death.  My daughter manages the local animal emergency clinic and that's what she recommends.  She said a dog or cat would have to eat a large quantity of it before running into trouble.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think it's very important when you go away to tell your cats (or pets) how long you are going for and when you will be back. Is wear they understand.

My late cat Lucy, who died suddenly a few months ago (she is my avatar and namesake, she was part british shorthair and as soft as a bunny) once knew when I was trying to get home from Brooklyn to New Jersey and missed the train, she ran to the front of the house and looked out the window, then the back and looked out at the driveway. Then the front again I. Then she went to my parents with whom I was living and got up I their faces and me owed.

I ws running for the oath train, running for the train in. Hoboken, while she was running too. Like she could feel it!

Other times though we figured she heard the train whistle from our house.

Here is Sophie, an orange female we adopted from a shelter a few months after my sweet beloved Lucy died. Sophie has all of her claws but you would not know it because when she walks on you they are amazingly in. She's dying to play with our senior tortie, little. Girl, but. Little Girl is uninterested. Sophie would groom her if allowed.

She loves to leap up at the cat dancer and she loves the smell of coffee.shes also a little too interested in water ...

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 6
(edited)

Sophie is super cute! She reminds me of my departed villain, who returned to the home planet after years of research on bed linens, and how to conquer humanity (his findings: chew on the electrical cords to get attention, drives them batshit).  

Seriously he was a sweetheart (and entirely evil, because he really did chew on electrical cords for attention, among other bratty devices) and whenever I was in the bath or the hot tub, he would attempt to rescue me.  It usually did not end well for either of us.  

I'm sorry about Lucy, losing pets is hideously painful because they are in our lives daily and the loss feels huge (because it is).  I'm glad you found Sophie though, she seems like a sweetheart too  

So are you copying the image code, by the way?  Here's a link to David Cole's post on how to post an image :-) 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

Hah! How adorable! Sophie has learned chewing in cords gets our attention too. She also likes not only to lick water from glasses but to lick the side of the glass and sometimes chew it. Don't know what that's about. Was your departed villain orange too? I've heard orange cats like water.

Thank you for the nice word about Lucy. She was one of my foster failures. The other was Finney, so named because the kill shelter told me she was a boy. Heh. Lucy was devoted and adoring. Sophie is loving but wants to play! Play! Play! She's her own self and I love her.

I did exactly what it said to do in the post and it still didn't embed. :( I'm on an ipad so don't have full editor but thought square brackets should work...

@libad, Cajun is both cute and talented! 

@lucindabelle, Sophie is awfully cute with those pretty, pretty eyes. We had an orange cat who loved the drippy tub, but when she got too old to hop up and in, we got her an indoor fountain, which she enjoyed well enough. She also performed that tightrope-walking act like Sophie's except our girl (Rex) would do it along our bed's headboard.  While we were in it, of course, because otherwise there's no challenge. 

Condolences on losing your  Lucy - it's just never easy.

• Love 2

I read the how to. Her pics are on my iphone. How do I make that a URL? I hit a ton of buttons. My age starts with a 3 but I've never had a Facebook page so maybe that's mitigating?

These sweet babies inspired me to post my own. All of them have been wonderful to look at. If I fail I can describe. She's a rescue mutt who has webbed feet so I think there is lab and a square face like a pit. And she has it made. Her name is Knox.

• Love 2

Aw! Hello, handsome Casper!  That is one alert, bright-eyed expression he's sporting and you can practically see the thought bubble that reads "Food.  That is food.  Right there.  Maybe if I concentrate hard enough it will teleport into my mouth?  Food.  That is food.  Maybe if...."  

• Love 1

@stillshimpy He's a clever one! He doesn't pick up on new commands quite a quickly as my papillon (it takes fewer than five reps for her to have it down), but he does learn quickly (and in fact learned several of his commands from watching the papillon). In the second photo, he's attempting to do what he's supposed to do when he wants food (make eye contact with me) while still keeping an eye on the food, so his gaze is drifting that way!

• Love 1

Aw! Look how cute Knox is!! Very handsome dog. I love that he has his own monogrammed stuff :)

Thank you! I felt very honored you are who taught me how to post a pic. I've admired your posts since TWOP so it sort of felt like interacting with a famous person, lol!

Well that is a super kind thing to say, KnoxForPres, and I really appreciate it.  Thank you :-)  My pleasure to be of help.  

However, I turned to the source of all things board related, David Cole (the once and always Glark) for that information.  So whereas I did the linking, he did the thinking.   

Knox is awfully cute - and she looks a little mischievous in the chewing picture.

Thank you harrie for saying she's cute! At my apt, I have become good friends with a girl who has a Corgi (yes, damn adorable). We walk our dogs together nightly and man, that Corgi gets all the attention. And I understand why. He's awesome. Every blue moon a walker will focus on Knox (clearly a mutt) and I want to hug them. Maybe because it looks like she has pit (and likely does) I don't know, but in the "complex" she doesn't get the love! So thank you so much!

Lest anyone feel bad...this is one happy pup who i take to daycare 5 days a week and they love her. She plays all day with all kinds of dogs while I'm at work and adore her there (though they're not stupid, I pay a mint to make that happen :)

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 1

I just took over this board as the lead mod (hello!!) and I wanted to share my own pet photos.  A tiny bit of background- she is a rescue from a high kill shelter in North Carolina.  She was literally a few hours from euthenization when she was rescued by the New England Lab Rescue League.  She had 6 of her own puppies and was the foster mom for 7 more (the mom was hit by a car and killed). 

This is her in the shelter with her puppies, taken by her first foster mom when she was saved.

0do8kLY.jpg

These next two are more recent pictures of her. 

tLMtlmA.jpg

mY1TNL9.jpg

My avatar is also one of her with one of her foster pups.

We have TONS of pictures because we are all slightly (ok, severly) obsessed with her!

• Love 8

I just took over this board as the lead mod (hello!!) and I wanted to share my own pet photos. A tiny bit of background- she is a rescue from a high kill shelter in North Carolina. She was literally a few hours from euthenization when she was rescued by the New England Lab Rescue League. She had 6 of her own puppies and was the foster mom for 7 more (the mom was hit by a car and killed).

This is her in the shelter with her puppies, taken by her first foster mom when she was saved.

0do8kLY.jpg

These next two are more recent pictures of her.

tLMtlmA.jpg

mY1TNL9.jpg

My avatar is also one of her with one of her foster pups.

We have TONS of pictures because we are all slightly (ok, severly) obsessed with her!

I love everything about this post.

Your dog looks like she has wisdom and compassion. Yet she appears to have humor too! She's absolutely beautiful and it makes me so happy to hear she was saved and is so loved.

• Love 4

Thanks!  I just went back and looked more closely at all of the pets on the previous two pages and I was smiling and laughing while at work at my 2nd job and people probably thought I was crazy!  But, they make me so happy.  Love seeing all of the rescues, too.

Cali is super wise but also crazy- the right kind of crazy for our family.  We are really a perfect fit!

• Love 2

Hey GenL, welcome :-) I have to admit I don't know who the lead mod of this area was before you, but hopefully we'll prove to be a very manageable lot. Unless a war about the merits of grain-free treats breaks out and then all bets are off. Take cover. Save the children. Ready the frozen Kong with Peanut Butter stuffing and get your affairs in order.

I keed, I keed.

Your dog is gorgeous and she has such a moving story. I like the flop eared picture too :-)

Here's one of Pud's action shots from her Glamour shoot: 

LH7L8826_zpsf162472f.jpg

And I'm pretty excited because tonight I am introducing her to her potential foster-dog-sibling through Stray Rescue in St. Louis.   Here's hoping they hit it off (or I will settle for no bloodshed or tears).  It will be my first ever foster :-)  I will post pictures of her when we get her home :-) 

• Love 7

Look at that face!  She looks a little unsure, but I'm sure under your care she'll quickly adapt!  Hopefully Puddles will come around.

There are a couple of dogs available for adoption through the rescue league where we got Cali that SOUND like they'd be a good fit, but you never know.  I asked if we could meet with the dog and have them interact so I could see if their personalities match and I was told that most of the dogs get adopted before they even get to New England (they all come from down south).  This is so weird to me.  When we adopted Cali through them we met with two other dogs first and realized they weren't compatible with us.  We then met with Cali and spent two hours in the foster's home getting to know her.  Also, the other families that already have pets- don't they want to make sure they are a good fit first?  I don't get it... It's not a huge deal, though, because we are not actively looking for another dog.  I just noticed a couple on their website that pulled at my heart strings whose description sounded similar to Cali so I thought I would ask.