Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Cranberry

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

Jake is an Australian Shepherd. His breeder is a good friend of my GF. He had gone to a family with a couple of older Labs, and I think they weren't ready for the energy level of an Aussie puppy. They returned him to the breeder, and he spent about a month back there. We had just lost Denali, GF's older Aussie, and the breeder had already promised her a puppy from her next litter. Instead, Jake came back, needing a good home, and he ended up with us. At that time, we needed him and he needed us - it just worked out perfectly.

• Like 16
  • Useful 1

I zoomed out trying to get a photo of Cosmo and my cat Blake (age 16) together. Don’t mind my socks. 

B6E9AB9D-9453-4414-86F9-845509B7CB83.jpeg

• Like 23

Lily got an ultrasound yesterday because she can't seem to eat enough to put on weight.  It came out as chronic pancreatitis that decided to flare up.  But she got gabapentin so she could get the ultrasound to begin with, and then she got a three-day buprenorphine injection.  Combined with a loose right kneecap, she was navigating about as well as the ship stuck in the Suez Canal.  Even if her front end was pointed straight forward, her hind end was wandering off about 35 degrees in any direction it wanted.  Silly beast.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 11

Lily's much better.  She's eating everything in sight and teaching Quirk how much enthusiasm is too much when Quirk wants to wrestle.  And she leaps up on the bed from the floor most mornings, and biffs me in the eye if I don't wake up and scritch her.  I knew she wasn't done yet, but she scared me for a couple of days there.

• Like 21

I'm glad to hear about Lily's significant improvement; pancreatitis can really take it out of them, and it's frustrating being unable to do much more than supportive care as you ride it out.  Yay for being on the other side of it - especially that she's getting caught up on her food; that's the best sign there is - and here's hoping for no more flare-ups.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, EighteenTwelve said:

Lily's much better.  She's eating everything in sight and teaching Quirk how much enthusiasm is too much when Quirk wants to wrestle.  And she leaps up on the bed from the floor most mornings, and biffs me in the eye if I don't wake up and scritch her.  I knew she wasn't done yet, but she scared me for a couple of days there.

That’s great news! One of my cats had pancreatitis and had to be hospitalized over a weekend. Once she was treated she bounced right back. Here’s hoping that Lily stays in good health.

• Like 4

Not my pet, but my friend's dog helped sniff it out this morning, and honestly I just felt like sharing.  Happy April 1st everyone! 

20210401_132008.jpg

Edited by FlyingEgret
  • Like 16

Just now, FlyingEgret said:

Not my pet, but my friend's dog helped sniffed it out this morning, and honestly I just felt like sharing.  Happy April 1st everyone! 

20210401_132008.jpg

Was your friends dog a bird dog by chance....

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

My Mom got Cosmo a rain coat. We had our first rain a few weeks ago and he wasnt pleased. He did let me put it on him, but I think more treats will be needed to make this a regular thing when its raining.IMG_2905.jpeg.61868c4f63c2ad340474f4dbd82b802a.jpegIMG_2904.jpeg.6957f33748fec88c6bebecd0edf25551.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Laugh 1

LOL, that first picture. You can almost imagine him thinking, "...why...?" :p. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

My Mom got Cosmo a rain coat. We had our first rain a few weeks ago and he wasnt pleased. He did let me put it on him, but I think more treats will be needed to make this a regular thing when its raining.

No matching rain boots?  His feet will get cold and wet without them.🦆

When I think of Cosmo, I think of Cosmo Spacely, not Cosmo Kramer.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I posted this before or not, forgive me if I did.

I once got one of my cats a Thunder Shirt.  As soon as I put it on her she went down to the floor like her legs suddenly disappeared.  I took it off of her immediately.  She watched me put it back in the box and put the box up.  She refused to move until I did. 

That second picture of poor Cosmo looks like he's wondering how long this indignity is going to go on!  

Edited by tiftgirl · Reason: Remove doesn't mean the same as refuse
  • Laugh 9
  • Sad 1

Hope this qualifies for the thread; he’s not my pet but he is a pet:

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/vp-nw-obx-cat-20210403-3hfy5vqa75hvpha2unwj6cjvoy-story.html

This adorable kitten is a seafaring beach bum. I have such mixed feelings!  I really don’t like the idea of outdoor cats. But he seems to be living his best life. 

I’ll  try to insert a picture if you don’t want to click on the link:

9C9B74EA-AAF3-44EB-A274-9214BF0CB8BA.jpeg

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 10
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

This adorable kitten is a seafaring beach bum.

I love how, while does everything the dogs do, including playing in water, he's still all cat when he shakes the water off his paws when he's done.  Also him standing on little kitten tippy toes to drink out of the dogs' water bowl.

I do not care for the author saying the owner wanted to "replace" her previous cat.  (And, this is embarrassing, but until I read the previous cat's name was Tuna, I didn't get it about this one being named Marlin.)

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

19 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

This adorable kitten is a seafaring beach bum. I have such mixed feelings!  I really don’t like the idea of outdoor cats. But he seems to be living his best life. 

I don't have mixed feelings.  That cat should be safe and warm in a home, as all cats should be.  The cat my parents had would have lived a lot longer if they kept him in the house.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't have mixed feelings.  That cat should be safe and warm in a home, as all cats should be.

The cat doesn't seem left to roam outdoors at will, but instead is with the owners and the dogs when they are on the boat, at the beach, etc. 

I think whether - and, if so, how - it is safe for any given cat to have some sort of outdoor time depends on circumstances, and most of the time I think the answer is no.  But, watching that video, this seems like a supervised scenario that is working.  So I hope it is indeed a situation where the cat isn't roaming, but is just included in family activities.  They certainly lucked out with a kitten who instantly took to all that stuff. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The cat doesn't seem left to roam outdoors at will, but instead is with the owners and the dogs when they are on the boat, at the beach, etc. 

I am not a big fan of having pets on boats.  I fear one might end up going overboard.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Healthy 'outdoor' cats are like unicorns.

I think you hit it on the nose, there.  I hesitated even posting that article because I didn't want to appear to be endorsing outdoor cats in general (and some of the responses proved me right on that), but this one guy does seem to be the unicorn.  Or maybe he just has a good publicist!

• Like 4

On 4/6/2021 at 6:00 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Healthy 'outdoor' cats are like unicorns.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "outdoor". I have had cats for 50 years (yes, I'm an old) and in urban (San Francisco, Los Angeles), suburban and very rural (on the side of a dormant volcano in the forest) areas. All my cats were allowed and even encouraged to go outside but lived inside whenever they wanted because I always provided a way in at all times for them (various inventions when I was still a student renter and then once a homeowner, always a secure cat door leading into the house or the laundry room). All my cats were either rescues or more likely, found me after being abandoned or whatever. I've never lost a single one to anything attributable to the "outdoors" - they mostly died of cat old age diseases (my current guy is almost 20 and doing fine thankfully) or weird congenital conditions. Yes, up in the mountains there are coyotes and if there had been any in my immediate area I would have been much less likely to let my cats out at night.

But (and here is my reasoning): I am not eager to have a beautiful animal that would normally explore and hunt and patrol its property and then confine it inside for its whole life. I think that is wrong although I totally understand the arguments for keeping the cat safe and the birds unharmed. And I hate litter boxes (and I think cats hate them too, frankly). So until very, very recently (my Louis is now too old to go out to pee at night so here we are) I have not had one since I was in the big city many decades ago.

If you mean "feral cats" by "outdoor cats", I would most likely agree with you.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

21 minutes ago, isalicat said:

And I hate litter boxes (and I think cats hate them too, frankly).

Riley is an indoor-only cat since she's never shown an interest in going outside and she's way too skittish when spooked for it to be safe even if she wanted to go out.  But Maddie and Baxter were allowed supervised outdoor time because they were freakishly obedient (they virtually never left the yard, and if they did get the urge and jump over a wall, I'd say, "Come back here," and they would!)  Baxter would pee outside, but come back in and use the litter box if he had to poop.  Maddie found the whole outdoor bathroom concept undignified and would only do her business in the box.

My parents' cat Bandit is allowed out in the yard during certain hours (he has idiopathic cystitis caused by stress, and if he's strictly confined indoors, it flares up), and he's the same way - he'll pee outside, but come barreling down the hill and into the garage or house to use one of the boxes if he has to poop.

Their cat Chester can only go outside on a leash, as he started going across the street, plus he's so damn small now (with cancer eating most of his nutrients) he could be carried away by a hawk or owl.  When he had the same privileges as Bandit, he loved to poop outside, but would only pee in the box.

They're funny little critters that way - like cats with two boxes who will use one for pee and one for poop.

Growing up, our cats were always indoor-outdoor (no free access to outdoors, and never allowed out from an hour before dusk through the early morning hours because of coyotes, but allowed outside during the day if someone was home) and one, Yeager, loved to help fertilize plants -- if we dug a hole to plant something, he came along and tinkled in it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Cosmo got to try out his new rain coat in public today. He is fine with the coat, not so much with the hood part. He was more chill being outside when it was raining with it on. I bribed him with some dehydrated beef treats while putting it on and off. IMG_2959.jpeg.925cd2a42ed0df8d3b4642a6a050ce16.jpegIMG_2956.jpeg.1d0c62bee8e0599df21fd01598ec78a0.jpeg

• Like 17

Hey Folks, new here and need advice. 
one of my pupps passed today leaving his brother behind. It was a complete surprise, he passed in his sleep and we are all shocked and grieving hard. My question is, how do I help his brother? They were from the same litter and together their entire lives, they are 12. So 

• Sad 16

3 hours ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

Hey Folks, new here and need advice. 
one of my pupps passed today leaving his brother behind. It was a complete surprise, he passed in his sleep and we are all shocked and grieving hard. My question is, how do I help his brother? They were from the same litter and together their entire lives, they are 12. So 

I’m so sorry for the loss of your dog! I am glad though he didn’t differ and went peacefully. 

I have had litter mates (cats though)- I wouldn’t wash any of the dog bedding etc for a while, so that the scent can slowly fade away. I would also keep an eye out and make sure your boy left behind is eating, drinking, toileting as normal. He will be grieving. As sad as I am to say this, siblings often pass close together. Your boy may live a lot longer, but he may not without his brother. Do you have any other pets in the home? When Scarlett died (left on my photo) I was expecting Mr Norris (on the right) to follow quickly. But he had Charlie (orange tabby) and made it other six years. It wasn’t until Charlie died at 15 last March (kidney failure) and Mr Norris followed a few months later at 20. 

Your boy may be extra needy and clingy for a while as he adjusts. Again I am so sorry for your loss. 

• Like 6

Has anyone dealt with their kitty having renal failure? My 14-year-old Willow was recently diagnosed and it's been difficult to communicate with the new vet, who has taken over the practice from the previous one who was so wonderful. Very difficult to get her on the phone. One of the primary things I'm worried about is that I know from two friends who have had cats with renal failure that they've suddenly died very horrible and painful deaths. Is this always the case? Does it only happen when their organs are shutting down? The vet assistant said there's nothing I can give Willow to hasten it and I asked only because the thought of her screaming in agony until I can get her to the emergency vet clinic to be euthanized is upsetting.

She's still eating but lately she's been more ravenous. Also the expected drinking lots of water and peeing a lot. They can't really say what stage she's in. She's so bony. 😞 When she started losing weight about a month and a half ago I thought it was probably due to hyperthyroidism which my previous two elderly cats had. At least that was controlled by medication and they lived to be 17 and 19, respectively. Nope. And no medication to control this with.

I've been playing veterinary diet food roulette and she likes Hills canned food but not the dry, did not like either form of Royal Canin, and now I'm trying her on the Purina NF. Just about to transition up to half that and half the regular Purina One she's been getting for a while. Just making sure she eats as much and as often as she wants is the most important thing. At the same time, trying to limit the big 22 lb. orange cat (that's Scout in the photo) because I can't really feed them separately. The higher-fat vet diet food is the last thing he needs!

I know there's probably other questions I have but it's in the wee hours of the morning and I really should go to bed.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Sad 8

Sorry to hear that, @Scout Finch.  CKD is very common in cats, so there is a lot of information out there, and this site is a good repository, but that can be very overwhelming; I suggest trying to digest it in chunks.  Start with "Just Diagnosed?  Click Here".  The "Key Issues" page is even shorter, honing in on what you can do to make your cat feel better.

The most important thing is getting your cat to eat, so of course you want to feed the lowest-phosphorus food she'll eat (hopefully without having to resort to one inappropriately low in protein), but a kidney-friendly diet is of no use if the cat won't eat enough of it to meet her basic nutritional needs.  So don't stress out too much over which food.

If hydration is an issue, subQ fluids can be a big help.

I don't want to rattle off too many other things and overwhelm you more than you are, so take a look at that site when you feel up for it.  You'll learn the secondary conditions to look out for and things that may stall the progression of the disease.

And, no, they very much do not all suddenly crash and die agonizing deaths!  I'm sorry you've had two friends experience that, but please don't add more worry to your life by assuming that's going to happen to Willow, too.  Generally it's like with any progressive disease; in the final stage, quality of life decreases, and at some point it's time to decide to let go.

My cat Maddie lived for seven years after her CKD diagnosis, with her kidney values mostly staying in stage one, sometimes stage two and occasionally normal; when she died of an unrelated disease, her kidney values were right at the high end of normal.

• Like 8

In case anyone was wondering who my dog was named after....

E2ABEA96-94D4-453C-87C3-56AB7D222B4B.jpeg

Edited by bosawks
  • Like 12

15 minutes ago, bosawks said:

If I had a son, which I did not, his name would have been Bryce. So I find this quite cute. 😁

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I don't know who Harper is, but shout-out to your slippers.  I got something similar for my daughter in honor of her Black Lab(-ish) dog.  Is your Harper okay with the cat slippers?

• Like 6

On 4/2/2021 at 3:14 PM, Scarlett45 said:

My Mom got Cosmo a rain coat. We had our first rain a few weeks ago and he wasnt pleased. He did let me put it on him, but I think more treats will be needed to make this a regular thing when its raining.IMG_2905.jpeg.61868c4f63c2ad340474f4dbd82b802a.jpegIMG_2904.jpeg.6957f33748fec88c6bebecd0edf25551.jpeg

Jake has that same raincoat! He's only worn it once or twice, but doesn't seem to mind it.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Jake has that same raincoat! He's only worn it once or twice, but doesn't seem to mind it.

How nice. I think it’s a keeper. He wore it today and was fine with it. 

3ED969CD-7AD5-40BD-8FA8-B08A7DDD77B8.jpeg

• Like 11

17 hours ago, bosawks said:

I think they call that Porky Pigging it, no pants.

15 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I bought a small pet igloo for the girls at IKEA:

8B1D8F44-A4AB-4EE8-BA00-239C523C16F3.jpeg

Parker loves it

A80046A4-170D-4DF3-A7E2-36C88E796BEC.jpeg

Brings new meaning to the word toadstool.

I think they call that the Snoopy Affect.  It looks like you might have to reinforce the dome.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

15 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I bought a small pet igloo for the girls at IKEA:

8B1D8F44-A4AB-4EE8-BA00-239C523C16F3.jpeg

Parker loves it

A80046A4-170D-4DF3-A7E2-36C88E796BEC.jpeg

Parker is beautiful!

I got Erin (Little Girl) a bed—it was really for both her and her mom, let's be honest—for her birthday on April 4, and she's lain(?) in it approximately five minutes. Meanwhile, months ago, my boyfriend put an old bathmat on top of two stacked storage tubs and it is their favorite place to lay. I hate the storage tub "cat tree"! I was hoping the new bed could replace the janky storage tubs.

They also have a cat tree and a window seat in the bedroom that they use.

253478277_PXL_20210411_152529107.NIGHT3_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.5b1406e7807b9fcd143f39e62f8e1f5c.jpg

• Like 13

On 4/2/2021 at 2:14 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Cosmo looks adorable in his rain coat!  He'll will be glad to stay dry.

• Like 8

On 4/9/2021 at 6:25 PM, bosawks said:

Yup......

E33C666A-2F47-4A07-90CA-EF40C76D077C.jpeg

and

On 4/9/2021 at 6:46 PM, ABay said:

Landshark!

Dogfish are sharks.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4

9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I hate the storage tub "cat tree"! I was hoping the new bed could replace the janky storage tubs.

The top shelf in the closet where I keep bed linens, towels, and my winter coats belongs to the cats. Unfortunately, they climb there over the bed linens and towels. Guess what I do when I change my sheets or need a new towel. They do use their assigned beds. Months after I bought them and knitted a blanket for them.

PXL_20210409_233208239.MP.jpg

Edited by supposebly
  • Like 13
  • Laugh 1

16 hours ago, supposebly said:

The top shelf in the closet where I keep bed linens, towels, and my winter coats belongs to the cats. Unfortunately, they climb there over the bed linens and towels. Guess what I do when I change my sheets or need a new towel. They do use their assigned beds. Months after I bought them and knitted a blanket for them.

PXL_20210409_233208239.MP.jpg

They sure do look "purrdy".

• Like 7

On 4/9/2021 at 6:25 AM, Scout Finch said:

Has anyone dealt with their kitty having renal failure?

I'm so sorry, I know this is a stressful situation for you.  I had a 20 year old kitty that had CKD and it definitely can be challenging particularly when you're not working with a responsive vet.  

I will say that doing daily subQ with mine helped her live almost a full year after diagnosis which at her age was so surprising!  I won't lie, it took a few times for me to learn how to do it properly without both me & my sweet Jubie (short for Jubilee) crying.  I learned that for her, a smaller diameter needle, though it took longer, was easier for me to do without hurting her. 

And though the vet showed me how to do the subQ, it was not shown to me on my cat but theirs and their cat was already used to having it done.  If your vet shows you, have them show you on your own cat (if you can get the an appt with your vet, of course).  I then spent hours & hours watching how to do it on Youtube.  

Jubie seemed to understand she'd feel better after she had it done and cooperated completed.  Once we got the hang of it all, I would just pick her up, plop her on the towel on the counter and she'd just sit there and wouldn't even try to jump down until I said it was okay.   

Good luck! 

• Like 4