Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm having a really weird frightening thing happen with my cat occasionally. She is 15. She has diabetes but other than that is very healthy. She has had problems with her back legs for a year or so. Like she can't jump. When I first mentioned it to the vet he said arthritis but the symptoms are so weird and I didn't explain it to him very well.

So in the last 13 months- twice she has literally fallen over. I think she was walking both times and went over. There was no cause. So I thought okay her back legs and hips are weak, it's like arthritis flare-ups. And she would be fine after. So I built like little steps for her to get up on the bed and sofa ok.

But 2 times it has been weirder. Both times she was laying down and out of the blue acted- like as though something scared her badly and she was scrambling to get away from it- but not up and walking just scrambling somehow. 

Like just now she was lying down on the couch, freaked out and somehow half pulled herself off it, half fell and scrambled like somehow pulling herself on the floor and her back legs work too, they must somewhat- but she doesn't get up. 

Very scary and upsetting, over very fast like 3 or 3 minutes, and now she is sitting somewhat calmly. 

I think it must be pain in her legs? Like suddenly an onset of pain and she freaks out and tries to get away from it but can't walk.

She is calmer now and I went and sat with her and she got up and walked a couple steps so seems ok now. 

I think this has happened 2 or 3 times in the last yr? It hasn't happened probably in 6 months or more. Maybe 8 or 9 months.

I know I need to tell the vet more about it. I read diabetes in cats can cause some problems with the limbs.

So upsetting. I don't know what to do for her.

Edited by cleo
4 hours ago, cleo said:

So upsetting. I don't know what to do for her.

I share your concern! Please do take her into the vet. At this point I would recommend a thorough exam and I am not a big advocate for taking cats into the vet for mild symptoms. My best wishes for you and your kitty!

• Love 6

Yeah last night I was reading about blood clots in cats- saddle something. It kind of sounded more like that than a diabetes complication.

Anyway I will call them this morning.

• Love 4

@cleo, has the vet given her anything for the arthritis? I recommend Cosequin. It's glucosamine and chondroitin for kitties that you can buy over the counter. I gave it to my late cat and it really helped. However, it may be past the point where a supplement can help, and pain management may need to be considered.

I assume her diabetes is controlled with insulin prescribed by your vet. Have you had bloodwork done recently?

• Useful 1

@bilgistic yeah the funny thing is she was just at the vet yesterday before this happened. So they checked her blood sugar. It was a bit high but other than that she seemed fine.

She goes every 3 to 4 weeks right now bc we've been trying to see if we can get her off the insulin but I don't think it will work.

She hasn't been on pain medication for the arthritis bc it generally doesn't seem that bad yet. She can't jump but other than that she can walk around ok, she is alert and happy for the most part. It's just these weird episodes. I think she fell twice last year and maybe had two of those weirder episodes. Last time was probably last summer.

But yeah I want it addressed now whatever it is. I did notice I think it is lasting a bit longer.

I'll let folks know if we figure it out. I thought I would see if anyone else had experienced it.

She is so-so today. Eating and drinking and can walk but a bit subdued.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 2

For the first time since Cosmo came to live with me (3months ago), he was WAITING for me when I woke up. I hit the alarm button on my phone, I opened my eyes and he was standing up looking at me. "Human attend to my needs!" We have been out 3x in the last 4hrs....I am still adjusting to dog mom life. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 10

My daughter just called and her dog (otherwise known as my oldest grandchild) may have cancer and definitely has something called Addison's Disease.  When I looked that up it was one of those "yep, he's got pretty much every symptom" things.  Now they're having to decide just how much they are prepared to do for him given his age and his other health issues depending on what steps the vet will recommend they take.  What a sucky conversation that is going to be.  I can't even imagine.

This afternoon I ran out of the bathroom to turn off the kettle- and I forgot to close the bathroom door (I keep it closed out of habit). I finished prepping my lunch and took my tea & apple slices into my office to get back to work. I then saw what looked like a used Clorox wipe and bits of my hair on the floor by Cosmo's bed! No Cosmo cannot eat my hair or used Clorox wipes!! he had to have pulled it out of the bathroom trash in the 5min my back was turned. 

This boy, I cannot. Funny Face Reaction GIF by TikTok

• LOL 7
On 4/22/2021 at 12:20 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

My daughter just called and her dog (otherwise known as my oldest grandchild) may have cancer and definitely has something called Addison's Disease.  When I looked that up it was one of those "yep, he's got pretty much every symptom" things.  Now they're having to decide just how much they are prepared to do for him given his age and his other health issues depending on what steps the vet will recommend they take.  What a sucky conversation that is going to be.  I can't even imagine.

Any update on your daughter's dog?

• Love 2

Yes, @Jaded, I've given two cats Adequan injections for arthritis.  It helped both of them.  I gave the shots IM rather than subQ (a couple of studies - in dogs; it's off-label for cats - indicated it may be more effective that way) and as an 8-dose course (twice per week for four weeks).  Years ago, the manufacturer published a letter asking vets not to prescribe a maintenance dose, saying it was designed to be given as an 8-dose course, and then repeated if the problem flared back up, and their research in developing the drug yielded no indication a maintenance dose did any good.  So I went with that.

@cleo, I'm sorry to hear about the strange symptoms your cat is experiencing - I can imagine how frightening that is for you to watch.  Via friends' cats, I've dealt with a couple of remotely similar scenarios, but what you're describing is notably different from both, so I don't have any helpful anecdotal evidence to offer.  I hope you're able to get this diagnosed and resolved.

@WinnieWinkle, my best friend's dog has Addison's and is doing fairly well with the treatment, but of course she's not dealing with possible cancer as well.  I hope your daughter gets good information from the vet on options, and can decide what's best for her dog. 

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Any update on your daughter's dog?

Not yet. They were told they should have the results of the tests early next week.  I'll update as soon as I know.  My husband and I had actually been discussing getting a dog but in light of this it's making us think twice.  Not sure we're ready to deal with the kinds of decisions you may end up having to make with a pet 🙁

• Love 2
3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Not sure we're ready to deal with the kinds of decisions you may end up having to make with a pet 🙁

While illness and end of life issues are never easy, I believe that the joy we receive by adding a pet as a family member far outweighs the troubles and sadness.

Please consider adoption from your local shelter or rescue group if you do decide to add a pet to your family.  There are so, so many good dogs and cats in shelters waiting to enrich your life!

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 20
2 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

While illness and end of life issues are never easy, I believe that the joy we receive by adding a pet as a family member far outweighs the troubles and sadness.

Please consider adoption from your local shelter or rescue group if you do decide to add a pet to your family.  There are so, so many good dogs and cats in shelters waiting to enrich your life!

@WinnieWinkle I second what @SuprSuprElevated stated above. We only get them for a short time, but if a dog is something you would enjoy having and have the ability to care for- you would make a world of difference in the life of that dog. 

There are so many dogs (and cats) who would enrich someone’s life and do not have homes. 

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Has anyone here grown cat grass?  I was wondering if it was worth it to even attempt to grow some greens for my cats.  I don't know anything about it other than what I have read on the net, but if anyone has had any experience in growing it themselves, I would be interested in the process.

Should I plant two pots a couple of weeks apart so that cats will always have a fresh supply of grass, or would one pot be enough?

Only kitties I've ever had that got their teeth into grasses, generally brought it back up shortly after consumption.  I wouldn't be inclined to make it accessible based on that, but that's just me.  I've never had omnivore cats.

• Useful 1
11 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Has anyone here grown cat grass?

All the time. My kitties love it. It also helps them with digestion since they only eat raw, which means that sometimes, things need a bit more help to get moving. If they overeat, they have thrown up a bit afterwards, so I keep it out of reach most of the time. They love getting fed blade by blade. It's a treat for them.

I'm not too good with having fresh available all the time, but they don't complain. Much.

I use kits though. I suck at growing plants. Any plant. 

Edited by supposebly
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

The bedroom used to be a “no cat zone” and then Charlie & Mr. Norris died (March and June 2020) so I started letting Blake wonder in during the day since I was WFH and he had no friends with him (my office set up is right off the bedroom area). Blake occasionally makes Zoom cameos.

Well Cosmo came and I set up his bed/food in the office area (also so Blake could eat and roam in peace at night), and I bet you dollars to donuts Blake felt if Cosmo could be in here with me, why not him? 

Tonight I let Blake climb in bed because I’m a sucker. He can stay until Cosmo’s last potty break after 9pm. 

B1B71C0F-C8CA-46D7-80FE-E1594FFFB925.jpeg

• Love 19

@icemiser69 I grow cat grass for my kitties a lot. I rarely see them throw it back up. BB isn’t into it much, but Squeaky loves it. She will eat a bit, but loves to chew it more than eat it. It’s very easy to grow and it doesn’t take long to grow a crop. 

@Scarlett45 I sleep with both of my cats every night. They snuggle, are really warm in the winter and listening to their purrs is very relaxing. They are social animals and since you lost your other two I think she would enjoy having her human to sleep with. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I have always slept with my cats, and when Baxter had to be "nuked" (given radioiodine treatment for his hyperthyroidism), after he was cleared to come back home - they have to pee out a certain amount to be eligible for release - he was still radioactive enough I was supposed to limit my interaction with him for a week.  So he definitely wasn't supposed to sleep with me.  I stuck with that for exactly one night; he slept on the floor outside the closed bedroom door once he finally stopped crying out in confusion, and there was no way I was doing that to him again.

I told my regular vet (who'd had the same procedure done on one of her cats) and she said, "I did the same thing.  It's likely not a problem to begin with, and when there is excessive exposure to radiation it tends to affect fertility, so, since I'm not having kids, whatever."  Amen!

After, other than a few intervals, sleeping with at least one cat my entire life, it always feels weird on vacation (remember those?) to sleep without one.  I hate sharing a bed with another person, and avoid it unless I truly can't, but I love sleeping with a kitty.

When I was little, one cat - who weighed 26 pounds! - let me use him as a pillow, and then the next one slept with me every night like a person - her head on my other pillow, tucked under the covers:

Daisy Mae1.jpg

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have always slept with my cats, and when Baxter had to be "nuked" (given radioiodine treatment for his hyperthyroidism), after he was cleared to come back home - they have to pee out a certain amount to be eligible for release - he was still radioactive enough I was supposed to limit my interaction with him for a week.  So he definitely wasn't supposed to sleep with me.  I stuck with that for exactly one night; he slept on the floor outside the closed bedroom door once he finally stopped crying out in confusion, and there was no way I was doing that to him again.

I did the same thing with my late snuggle but, Lennier. He had to have radiation for cancer and hypothyroidism in addition to issues with diabetes.

He and I used spoon at night and I could drum his belly. We lost him in 2013 but I still dream about him a lot. His sister, Talia passed away a year later. For over a year I had a huge 24 cat lean against me at night, while his sister, Talia decided to sleep on the top of my head on the pillow. This was due into large part to my incredibly unbelievable hot flashes at night. It made her old body lots of good, but didn’t help my hot flash situation any way shape or form.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Stats Queen said:

It made her old body lots of good, but didn’t help my hot flash situation any way shape or form.

I don't know if I should love it or laugh at this.

My Fox sleeps on or between my calves. Very rarely does she come closer to my head. Scully only started sleeping in my bed occasionally. And then only for a bit. I know because she jumps on and over me when leaving.

• Love 4

You guys really make me miss my Baby Boo gone a couple years ago. He would sleep over my  shins/feet and they would ultimately go to sleep so I'd have to pull them out from under him. Miss my cuddle buddy to this day.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 6

My Bella likes to climb on up me and sleep.  I'm a side sleeper, so she'll come up and sit her bum on my ribcage right under my arm and her face is down by my hip. 

She'll "knead bread dough" for a while and then sleep there.  Her kneading actually feels good and I wish I could train her to do so on command, I wouldn't need to get massages 😁🤣

• Love 12

I posted about my cat having some pain episodes...so just like always it disappears. She has been ok since the last episode. I called the vet and told them and never heard back which was honestly a little bit annoying but since she is ok right now it can wait until our next appointment. 

That is in 2 weeks or something like that. I'm afraid that much can be done though. She is 15 and although I think when she has an episode it is very bad, it lasts like 2 minutes and then is gone for months. I assume the vet would have no idea and want to run a battery of tests. To tell me, what that it will get worse over time? I kind of figure that, I'm just wondering how long. 

I'm getting ahead of myself and maybe they will know offhand what is causing it but if it was anything obvious she would have been diagnosed already bc she is there like once a month. 

(edited)

Sorry I feel like my post comes across cold or something. Tbh I'm worried about her and really afraid bc of her age, but then I just try to be matter of fact or something to deal with it.

Lost her brother a year ago and it was pretty tough. It's hard now with her I feel like I'm just waiting for something bad.

She is with me almost all the time since she was 6 weeks. Very cuddly and gentle. Has been my best company the last awful year.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 2

Just wanted to say that I don't currently have a pet buddy but this thread still keeps me connected to that world, through the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Thank you all.  Please cuddle, stroke, talk to, give them some stink eye, or bop your pet for me today.

• Love 10
(edited)

My parents were gone for a long weekend to attend a memorial service for my mom's cousin who died in November of COVID; it was outdoors, but, not being fully vaccinated nor knowing how many would attend, and, quite frankly, not trusting any other precautions to be taken, I stayed home.

Which is good for Chester, their cat with cancer that is terminal yet has somehow not only not yet killed him but hasn't yet diminished his quality of life to where euthanasia seems around a corner or two.  But he's incredibly attached to my mom, and last time I did my normal 24 hours at my house/24 hours at theirs routine (to give equal time to my cat and theirs whenever my retired parents travel) he got very stressed out, stopped eating, and spent about 24 hours pretty sick; after he rebounded to something stable and I gave a small dose of appetite stimulant, I did a very quick Thanksgiving in order to come back to him until they returned. 

So, this time, I've been staying at my parents' house other than going home a few hours each day to visit Riley.  It makes me sad for her, but Chester needs me far more, and she's the type to get over it almost immediately.

Chester has been doing great; no change in appetite or attitude (or poops - he has intestinal lymphoma) at all!  As always, if you just looked at this cat - skin and bones and on the brink of actually having more bald patches than he has fur - you'd think it was cruel to keep him around, but he's still such a happy little guy.  Even with just me, he summons me for cuddles several times a day; he purrs and does the cutest little grunt when he's particularly happy being petted.  And he loves being cuddled up with his brother.

I'm relieved this likely means my parents can start getting out in their motorhome again, that Chester will do well if I base myself out of their house.  I'm going to ask them to limit themselves to short trips, of course (because of Riley, and because, even though I work remotely even pre-pandemic and a lot of what I need is on my laptop or online, it's easier at my house than theirs), but it seems like we have something that works; in fact, this is the best Chester has done with me kitty-sitting in a couple of years!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 16
(edited)

Heavy is the head that wears the crown...and the cat. It's a little difficult to work on my laptop, needless to say. (I'm 57 and I just wanted a crown for the heck of it, damn it! It was just delivered.) 

WIN_20210506_15_07_33_Pro.jpg

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, Scout Finch said:

Heavy is the head that wears the crown...and the cat. It's a little difficult to work on my laptop, needless to say. (I'm 57 and I just wanted a crown for the heck of it, damn it! It was just delivered.) 

WIN_20210506_15_07_33_Pro.jpg

Kitty just wants to make sure you understand who is really in charge, crown be damned! 

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Kitty just wants to make sure you understand who is really in charge, crown be damned! 

One of my nicknames for her is "Princess Willow." Apparently, she wants to let me know she's actually a Queen.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Cosmo had his first vet appointment with me. He got a clean bill of health, but I am supposed to get him dental chews, and work on weight reduction. He is 92lbs. NINETY TWO. The Dr that put my beloved Mr. Norris to sleep last June saw him, and he should be 80lbs, eating 900 calories a day, which ends up being about two full cups of kibble and treats. 

DCAE53DC-C1E7-49C0-A43C-8BBBEA9DE915.jpeg

• Love 17