Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Cranberry

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Maybe she prefers eating alone, is on her own schedule or isn't comfortable eating with the other two. Cats have their own quirks some of which are cute while others are annoying.

That's probably it-- cats are a mystery to us a lot of times, but I think you hit the nail on the head.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/12/2020 at 7:22 AM, bmasters9 said:

Something unusual has been happening when I go to feed my cats of a morning-- here lately, when I go to feed the cats, Harry and Wilma are right there, Johnny-on-the-spot, and are ready for me to feed them. Sally, on the other hand, is not there; it baffles me why she isn't, because later in the morning, she'll come up wanting to be fed, when she wasn't there to be fed earlier.

This has been happening more with my two girls as well.  They're both 14+ yrs old, and I've been attributing it to age, and maybe just being less hungry on some days.  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, the bit about her tail :(. Poor little thing. 

She's adorable and looks like a total sweetie :). I'm glad she's found a new home with you. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Congratulations on the adoption of Quirk, @EighteenTwelve; I'm sure Snip would be pleased to know another cat is going to benefit from your loving care.  I look forward to hearing about her progress as she comes out of the closet (so to speak - not that there's anything wrong with that! 🙂 ).

@SuprSuprElevated, that comic is spot on.  Maddie was the hairball queen (fiber helped a lot, but she still horked up quite a few in her time), and every.single.time. she did so on the floor of the study, which is the only carpeted room in the house.

Riley defies the rule, though; the few times she regurgitates her food, she always deposits it behind the toilet in "her" bathroom (the half bath in which her litter box is located).  It's a little difficult to reach, but otherwise easy to clean up, and it just amuses me that she goes to her box to vomit, but sits in the box and pukes over the side, and always behind the toilet -- it's as if she thinks, "Hmm, when you hurl, you do it in one of these cold porcelain things, but I can't lift the lids, and I do all my other gross stuff in the box next to this one, so I guess I should split the difference and back here is where I throw up?"

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 9
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Congratulations on the adoption of Quirk, @EighteenTwelve; I'm sure Snip would be pleased to know another cat is going to benefit from your loving care.  I look forward to hearing about her progress as she comes out of the closet (so to speak - not that there's anything wrong with that! 🙂 ).

@SuprSuprElevated, that comic is spot on.  Maddie was the hairball queen (fiber helped a lot, but she still horked up quite a few in her time), and every.single.time. she did so on the floor of the study, which is the only carpeted room in the house.

Riley defies the rule, though; the few times she regurgitates her food, she always deposits it behind the toilet in "her" bathroom (the half bath in which her litter box is located).  It's a little difficult to reach, but otherwise easy to clean up, and it just amuses me that she goes to her box to vomit, but sits in the box and pukes over the side, and always behind the toilet -- it's as if she thinks, "Hmm, when you hurl, you do it in one of these cold porcelain things, but I can't lift the lids, and I do all my other gross stuff in the box next to this one, so I guess I should split the difference and back here is where I throw up?"

My 14+ yr old kitties are yakking up hairballs on demand lately.  They are too special for hairball formula food, rejecting every.single.one. I've tried, they run from the bowl if I try to sneak the hairball drops into their food.  I've had them on fiber powder for over a year now, for other reasons, and that has seemingly has no affect either.  I made the mistake of buying a UV flashlight thingy a while back, that detects "organic matter" on things, and my carpeted floors look like they've been carpet bombed.  I don't think there's a 6" square where there isn't evidence of "organic matter".  I've given up, and just plan on putting down the hard floor I've wanted for 10 years anyway.  Best excuse I have to spend the money.  I have a tiled kitchen and mudroom (where their bowls are), but nooooo, must.yak.on.carpet.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

The older my cats got the more they seemed to yak on the regular. My two young ones have yaked once since I brought them in March, and had the good manners to do it on the hardwood. I feel so lucky!

  • Like 5
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

The older my cats got the more they seemed to yak on the regular. My two young ones have yaked once since I brought them in March, and had the good manners to do it on the hardwood. I feel so lucky!

That's not lucky, you are The Chosen One!

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

I have no carpets for that very reason.

However, my cats are 5 and 2 years 9 months and I get one hairball every 2-3 months between the two of them.

The last two did land on the doormat. I have a cotton yoga mat in my bedroom. Not yet.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

She’s willing to hang out on the perch in the window as long as I don’t try to touch her. She and Lily are both interested in the idea (or at least the aroma) of another cat, but not ready to meet yet.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

So lately my mom's dog has been acting weirder than usual. She will get up in the bed and just stare at the closet, keeping completely still. My mom sent me a pic last night and then 30 minutes later another one and Mylie was in the same position. And now tonight.

Maybe she sees a ghost.

mylie.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 10

Share this post


Link to post

She must hear something; does she only do that at night?  And is it quiet in the room when she does (no TV on, etc.)?  If so, she might very well be hearing something in the walls.  When I first moved into my house, when it was really quiet late at night I could hear a faint sound that I eventually realized was termites eating my window pane!

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

So lately my mom's dog has been acting weirder than usual. She will get up in the bed and just stare at the closet, keeping completely still. My mom sent me a pic last night and then 30 minutes later another one and Mylie was in the same position. And now tonight.

Maybe she sees a ghost.

mylie.jpg

Icky thought, but maybe your mom has a critter or two scritching in the walls.

  • Like 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought maybe a mouse, but she says no.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

She must hear something; does she only do that at night?  And is it quiet in the room when she does (no TV on, etc.)?  If so, she might very well be hearing something in the walls.  When I first moved into my house, when it was really quiet late at night I could hear a faint sound that I eventually realized was termites eating my window pane!

Actually, she has the tv quite loud because she can't hear.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Neglected to say it, but all three cats are 2 years old apiece-- also, Sally seems to have caught on; the last few mornings, she's up at the house ready for me to come out, with Harry and Wilma out at the building like normal (I don't know how I fixed the problem, though, but it's fixed).

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/13/2020 at 3:31 PM, EighteenTwelve said:

Speaking of which...everybody, meet Quirk.  Congenitally cross-eyed, had to have her tail amputated when it got run over, and makes little squeaky noises like a dying smoke detector.  I adopted her on Friday; the picture is from her foster home, because she's been living in the very back of a very deep closet. 

Quirk in foster.jpg

Cute and I love her cross eyed look.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

So lately my mom's dog has been acting weirder than usual. She will get up in the bed and just stare at the closet, keeping completely still. My mom sent me a pic last night and then 30 minutes later another one and Mylie was in the same position. And now tonight.

Maybe she sees a ghost.

What the heck is that dog sitting on?   Those peace signs didn't all of a sudden change color did they?

15 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Actually, she has the tv quite loud because she can't hear.

🦻 WHAT?

8 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Neglected to say it, but all three cats are 2 years old apiece-- also, Sally seems to have caught on; the last few mornings, she's up at the house ready for me to come out, with Harry and Wilma out at the building like normal (I don't know how I fixed the problem, though, but it's fixed).

What happened to Fred, Barney, and Betty?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/14/2020 at 8:48 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

So lately my mom's dog has been acting weirder than usual. She will get up in the bed and just stare at the closet, keeping completely still.

image.png.8012599e2224706da35b8d008178482a.png

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 15

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/14/2020 at 8:44 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I thought maybe a mouse, but she says no.

Actually, she has the tv quite loud because she can't hear.

"She" being the dog or your mum?

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/14/2020 at 11:44 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

thought maybe a mouse, but she says no.

Does her dog have vision problems?  Could it have something to do with the dog's vision?

Share this post


Link to post

Screenshot_20201216-190614_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6a38b9b3ee2111a54e82913e9d1abca3.jpgBella actually enjoys going out when it's a nice soft snow.  This storm is not that so she is perfectly content to stay in and watch all the dogs have their fun...

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, FlyingEgret said:

Screenshot_20201216-190614_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6a38b9b3ee2111a54e82913e9d1abca3.jpgBella actually enjoys going out when it's a nice soft snow.  This storm is not that so she is perfectly content to stay in and watch all the dogs have their fun...

Get her a coat 😁

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Lily and Quirk finally met today.  Lily's been driving me crazy wanting to climb over the gate since Tuesday, and this morning Quirk wanted out, so I took the gate down. There's been some strong language, but nobody's attacking anybody, and they've discovered the idea of existing in the same room and ignoring each other.  That's progress.

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post

"Strong language" made me laugh!

There are a few neighborhood cats here in our complex. The other night, a couple of them were on our back porch howling at each other, inches from each other's face. It would've been funny had it not freaked my cats out and been so annoying. We banged on the back door and they eventually ran off a little ways only to resume their war of words in the backyard.

  • Like 6
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

We also have a couple of cats who run free in my complex, despite the manager saying they were going to crack down on it(at my previous complex, I had to sign a separate pet agreement which stipulated—among other things—that all animals had to be on a leash/in a carrier when outside).  One has even climbed my window screens to exchange strong language with Shadow.

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/14/2020 at 5:48 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

So lately my mom's dog has been acting weirder than usual. She will get up in the bed and just stare at the closet, keeping completely still. My mom sent me a pic last night and then 30 minutes later another one and Mylie was in the same position.

My Magic used to do that whenever she spotted something we couldn't see or hear.  She caught a vinegaroon underneath the couch.  Of course she was an AHT so they track and pounce on little things that move.  You should check the area for some sort of infestation.  It could be rodents.

  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, magicdog said:

My Magic used to do that whenever she spotted something we couldn't see or hear.  She caught a vinegaroon underneath the couch.  Of course she was an AHT so they track and pounce on little things that move.  You should check the area for some sort of infestation.  It could be rodents.

Well that scared me for about 30 seconds...since I am in the Northern Hemisphere and temps are below freezing nightly, so not going to happen here. One of my ferrals is really domesticated and when I go out to  feed the birds it will rub my legs and tries every time to come in the house. I want nothing more than to scoop this kitty up and love it forever but I don't know what kind of "critters/vermin" are living on it that I don't want in my home. I am going to call my vet on Monday and see if I can take it in to be checked out and pretty sure it will go into  a carrier, get it neutered/vaccinated/cleaned. It is the sweetest kitty. And if I can get this one inside maybe I can get other orange one in too. I think they are siblings but orange is very skittish. One step at a time.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I am going to call my vet on Monday and see if I can take it in to be checked out and pretty sure it will go into  a carrier, get it neutered/vaccinated/cleaned. It is the sweetest kitty. And if I can get this one inside maybe I can get other orange one in too. I think they are siblings but orange is very skittish. One step at a time.

I think that's great!  But keep in mind, if the cat is male, it will likely spray inside to mark their territory.  When I was growing up, our next door neighbors were friendly with an outdoor cat and decided to let him in the house.  Unfortunately he marked his territory and they had to put him back outside.  Maybe if he's neutered, it will be less likely?

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, magicdog said:

My Magic used to do that whenever she spotted something we couldn't see or hear.  She caught a vinegaroon underneath the couch.  Of course she was an AHT so they track and pounce on little things that move.  You should check the area for some sort of infestation.  It could be rodents.

Yes, I had to look that up.  I can say with 100% certainty, that if a vinegaroon or any similar vermin chose to visit my home, I would be moving within days, lol. 

  • Laugh 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

My tuxedo cat earlier this morning sat on top of the radiator looking out of the picture window for a good twenty-five minutes.  He is totally fascinated watching water drip off of the roof. 🐈 He just sat there and wouldn't move a muscle.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, magicdog said:

Maybe if he's neutered, it will be less likely?

Of course.  The older they are when neutered, the greater the likelihood they will continue to "spray" indoors, but it's still far more likely they won't.  And there are techniques to settle them down and alleviate the urge to mark their territory in that way.  (And, thankfully, within a fairly short time after neutering, the urine is far less pungent, so any transition period is usually easily handled via patience and good enzyme-based cleaner.)

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

My late cat (also a rescue) was a male and neutered at 6 months. He did pretty good at first. Then when the older feral I am feeding now showed up they would spray at each other on both sides of the kitchen slider.  Not pleasant! I had to discourage the outside cat for a long time. When my cat died it showed  back up again and I've been feeding it for close to a year. It still hisses at me each time I feed it.

Hmmm, maybe I need to think about bringing in the younger cat. I sure don't want spray wars again! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Do you ever find yourself apologizing to your cat (or dog) when you accidently do something to them doesn't doesn't really hurt them, but probably embarrasses them? (I'm pretty sure cats and dogs can get embarrassed at times.)  One of my cats loves to jump up on the desk when I'm sitting here at the computer.  She jumps up on my legs and then on the desk (where she then settles down for a short nap with me having to put one arm around her so that she doesn't fall off the desk onto my legs).  Anyway, I didn't realize that she was getting ready to jump up and turned to get up from the desk.  I turned and moved my arm just as she jumped and basically backhanded her in the face and knocked her back down onto the floor. She ran, and I hollered an apology. (I admit I did laugh to myself once I realized that she was okay.)  She came back and forgave me. It brought back a memory from years ago where I was getting out the bag of cat food and she came running across the kitchen floor (unseen by me) and reached me just as I opened the cabinet door to get out the cat dishes.  Wham!  She ran right into the open cabinet door just like one of the Stooges.  (she was okay, though.) Cats!

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, yeah, I've definitely done that, too :D. One of our cats is constantly underfoot and never moves when we're trying to walk through the hallway or our living room or something, so my mom and I have both had moments where we've accidentally stepped on her tail as a result. And then our other cat loves to roll about on a little bench we've got, or sit on the back of the couch and chase her tail, and she'll get herself so wound up sometimes that she'll wind up falling off at some point :p. 

So then we're running over and checking on them and being like, "Are you okay?" or "I'm so sorry!" and petting them and all that good stuff :).

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

A couple of weeks ago, Riley and I were playing with her favorite toy, which is one of those fabric strings on a plastic wand things, and she likes me to whip it around really fast; she runs and leaps and twists and all that good stuff for her nightly exercise sessions (which help with regular pooping on top of all the obvious benefits).

In a move we couldn't have choreographed if we'd tried, she zigged when I zagged in just the wrong combination so that I wound up smacking her in the face with the wand.  Unlike most accidents, this actually scared her; I was forgiven quickly, but when we went to play the next night she ran away, and she has been afraid of the toy ever since.  We've been playing with a rope instead (it takes a lot more arm/wrist movement from me to create the same excitement for her, but I could use the exercise).  Hopefully she'll soon forget about the wand trauma and go back to playing with it (although, she's still not over whatever traumatized her about fly swatters before she came to me; I can't even walk through the room she's in with one in my hand), but thankfully I had plenty of rope and twine in the garage to find just the right weight and length to fire her up.

But, yeah, it's a lot more often with cats where something happens that doesn't hurt them in the least, but they get the awkward Um, I meant to do that look and I have to work hard not to laugh at their misstep and subsequent embarrassment.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But, yeah, it's a lot more often with cats where something happens that doesn't hurt them in the least, but they get the awkward Um, I meant to do that look and I have to work hard not to laugh at their misstep and subsequent embarrassment.

I love it when they do that after they fall off of something and land on the floor. They just walk away all casual, like, "Yeah. I totally meant to land like that." :p. 

And then when you're laughing at whatever weird stuff they're doing, they'll stop and look at you like, "...what? This is normal."

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I love how it goes hand in hand: The ones who, upon being caught somewhere they're not supposed to be/doing something they're not supposed to be doing, look like Those damn aliens struck again; I told them this was against the rules, but they abducted me and placed me here against my will get visibly embarrassed when they fall off/run into something, while those who react to getting caught with a Yeah, and? What are you gonna do about it? look play those accidents off like How about that choreography, hm?

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I love it when they do that after they fall off of something and land on the floor. They just walk away all casual, like, "Yeah. I totally meant to land like that." :p. 

George Carlin:

”Have you ever seen a cat race across a carpet and crash into a sliding glass door?

*SMACK!* (Cat:)  ‘I meant that, I meant that, I meant that...That’s exactly how I wanted that to look...

F***IN’ MEOW!’”

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, back in the day with the first two cats that I had, brother and sister, They passed on almost a decade ago,   In any case about twenty years ago, I had and have some visual issues with my right eye and I didn't see her sitting next to me.  I was standing at the time.  I accidentally stepped on her tail and as a result part of her tail had to be amputated.  Needless to say, I was devastated.  It was an accident, and accidents do happen, but from that point forward I was and am even more mindful where pets are at all times.   The soles of the shoes I was wearing didn't help any.  I can't help but think if I was wearing a different pair of shoes that her tail wouldn't have been damaged nearly as much.

 

Edited by icemiser69
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, smittykins said:

George Carlin:

”Have you ever seen a cat race across a carpet and crash into a sliding glass door?

*SMACK!* (Cat:)  ‘I meant that, I meant that, I meant that...That’s exactly how I wanted that to look...

F***IN’ MEOW!’”

There is no doubt in my mind that this cat walked away with the old "I meant to do that" look.

catcrash.gif

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size