Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Cranberry

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was going to weed a bit and as I was walking down my porch stairs this came into view.

There would already be a moving truck in the driveway and a For Sale sign in the front yard if I walked down my porch and that came into view!

• Laugh 7

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

There would already be a moving truck in the driveway and a For Sale sign in the front yard if I walked down my porch and that came into view!

Lucky for me it was the back yard stairs (4) and I have two other options of gaining entry into my house. 

I’ve  seen a black snake, twice as big, that hangs around, but have been told that he isn’t venomous and usually runs from people. He only attacks when provoked. 

No, Bastet, if you don’t like snakes this is not the place for you to live. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Nooooo!!! That poor frog! Why did I click on the spoiler?!? I was warned!

Time to brick over the back entry, @Mindthinkr!

We occasionally had HUGE black snakes in our yard when I was growing up in the home my folks still live in. My mom always said, "It's just a harmless black snake." We also had garter snakes. I don't want ANY snakes, "harmless" or otherwise!

I keep thinking of things and editing... I have no problem with frogs and salamanders/lizards/newts and will even pick them up. Snakes, though--be gone, devil creatures!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

No, Bastet, if you don’t like snakes this is not the place for you to live. 

I think you're in the South, which is not the place for me to live on multiple fronts, and, yes, walking out into my yard and finding a snake would be one of those deal-breakers.  I wouldn't harm a non-deadly snake, I don't think they're bad, I don't want them to go extinct, anything like that.  I just absolutely do not want to be around them.  I have a hard enough time not freaking my shit when I encounter one on a hiking trail (briefly, before it slithers away because it's not any happier to see me) - I am not having it in my own yard.  People further up towards the hills in my area will get the occasional snake, but I'm safe.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4

Thank you for the spoiler, @Mindthinkr ! I would have had to burn my computer if I saw the photo!

In other news, we have kittens! We set out the trap for either mom or the tom and my neighbor went to look and there were two kittens inside! They are now inside my neighbors bathroom with their sibling.

Hopefully we wake to mom or the tom in the trap tomorrow!

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Thank you for the spoiler, @Mindthinkr ! I would have had to burn my computer if I saw the photo!

In other news, we have kittens! We set out the trap for either mom or the tom and my neighbor went to look and there were two kittens inside! They are now inside my neighbors bathroom with their sibling.

Hopefully we wake to mom or the tom in the trap tomorrow!

That’s good news about the kittens and my fingers are still crossed for the parents. 

• Like 1

Update from the House of Gajillion Cats

The Twins have settled into their role as the new kittens on the block. Catsby has decided that he's an indulgent big brother, and occasionally inflicts a few seconds of grooming on them when they come near. Calypso still wants none of their nonsense.

The Friendly One has taken to running over and wrapping himself around my ankles after being out of sight of me for more than a few minutes. I've managed to avoid tripping over him or stepping on him so far.

Both little ones have been doing a thing where they leap at each other and collide in midair. Then they fall down and act like they meant to do that.

They both go in and out as they please whenever I open the door for any reason. Much of their time is spent outdoors lounging in the shady area near the water bowl. Here they almost look like adults:

ip1fuu.jpg

The built-in pantry/appliance shelf (a do-it-yourself job by the previous owners) is the perfect place to grab some Zs after an exhausting day of lounging:

2ewywxw.jpg

Dinner time with Catsby & kittens:

2nl5u09.jpg

I'm going to confer with Mom in a couple of weeks on what to name the kittens. First she has to finish her current round of physical rehab for her bum knees. She hasn't even seen them yet (the kittens, I mean, not her knees.)

• Like 11

We have the mama kitty! I'll be dropping her off this afternoon.

The cat program says if we can't find a rescue for the kittens they should go back outside until they are big enough to get fixed so they remain feral.

I tried to tell J that but she is hellbent on domesticating and finding them homes. I agree that they shouldn't go back into the parking lot where they may get hit by a car or worse, but if she wants to keep them upstairs for much longer they won't be able to go back outside and that's on her. I told her I can't have any more animals in my apartment.

• Like 12