Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, shanndee said:

Teaching Chelsea to sit up for treats was not a smart idea! 😄 

Aw, yes it was, because it means we get to look at adorable pictures like that.  I want to one-arm hug her!

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I want to like that multiple times. What an adorable baby!

22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Aw, yes it was, because it means we get to look at adorable pictures like that.  I want to one-arm hug her!

😄  Thank you! She gets away with *entirely* too much...she really knows how to work the "but I only have 3 legs" angle. And if that doesn't work she falls back on "I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do that...here, look how cute I am..."

Yeah...she has my husband and I totally wrapped around her little finger, I mean, toe? 

😄

• Love 9
(edited)
31 minutes ago, shanndee said:

😄  Thank you! She gets away with *entirely* too much...she really knows how to work the "but I only have 3 legs" angle. And if that doesn't work she falls back on "I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do that...here, look how cute I am..."

Hee, we had a cat a few years back who was the same way. One of her legs had been badly injured years before we got her. She couldn't really use it very well, and had to rely on her other three legs. Despite that, normally she'd be jumping around and playing like normal-you'd never believe her leg was bothering her. 

But if she needed some extra attention or wanted us to get her something, all of a sudden she's walking slower and limping a little and, like your cat, putting on the "See how cute?" act. They know exactly what they're doing :p. 

I'd totally spoil your cat rotten, too, if she were mine :). She's adorable. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

But if she needed some extra attention or wanted us to get her something, all of a sudden she's walking slower and limping a little

The cat my mom had before I was born was like that - one of her paws was significantly injured and took some time to heal, but heal it did, completely.  Yet long after that she would revert to a limp (and a more exaggerated one than she had at the time of injury) if she wanted something that was not forthcoming.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

But if she needed some extra attention or wanted us to get her something, all of a sudden she's walking slower and limping a little and, like your cat, putting on the "See how cute?" act. They know exactly what they're doing :p. 

My dog when I was a kid did that!  And all the funnier since he was the most game adventurous dog in the world, jumping up the sides of steep hiking paths, climbing trees, etc.  Unless he was begging when he seriously expected us to forget about all that.  What an amazing dog Shadow was and how I miss him all these decades later.

• Love 8

It never ceases to amaze me how cats and dogs can remember that they get more attention when they play up an old injury, yet they "can't" remember that they are not supposed to claw the couch, play with the blinds, jump on the visitors (whatever the bad behaviour is) 😉

Ha! 😄 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

For some reason I have never been able to figure out, Snip walks out of my bathroom on three legs.  Only the bathroom, and only 95% of the time (if she REALLY wants to be on to the next thing, whatever it is, she'll forget to limp), but the rest of the time, she holds up her left front leg and hops out.  The instant she hits the hall, she's back on four legs.

• LOL 5

Ugh, my poor Boo threw up all of her dinner last night in the driveway, my bedroom, and the dining room. I think it was my fault, I gave her too many treats yesterday. She didn't eat much of her breakfast this morning and I'm hoping the dog walker doesn't find any surprises when she comes this afternoon. 

I can handle poop and pee accidents just fine, but throw up is just awful. I was gagging while cleaning it all up (this dog aims for rugs and carpet, I swear).

3 hours ago, emma675 said:

I can handle poop and pee accidents just fine, but throw up is just awful. I was gagging while cleaning it all up (this dog aims for rugs and carpet, I swear).

There is carpet in precisely one room of my house.  Want to guess in which room Maddie deposited every single one of her hairballs?

Riley doesn't do hairballs, but a few times a year she eats too fast and throws up her food; she always does it in "her" bathroom (where her litter box is), behind the toilet.  I find this oddly brilliant.

I, too, gag when cleaning up puke (not hairballs, but regurgitated food puke).  I never used to, but middle age has brought some interesting changes all around, including to my previously cast iron gut: I am now easily nauseated by bad smells, and by cat puke.

I hope your dog's stomach settles down quickly - for everyone's sake!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, EighteenTwelve said:

For some reason I have never been able to figure out, Snip walks out of my bathroom on three legs.  Only the bathroom, and only 95% of the time (if she REALLY wants to be on to the next thing, whatever it is, she'll forget to limp), but the rest of the time, she holds up her left front leg and hops out.  The instant she hits the hall, she's back on four legs.

This is cracking me up. I'd just love to know what their thought process is when they do stuff like this.

3 hours ago, emma675 said:

Oh, god, same to all of this. 

I hope your dog feels better soon!

• Love 3

We lost this guy last night.

4XkYqfxl.jpg

Danny was 13; age started taking it's toll earlier this year, and yesterday it was his time. He was truly a great dog.

He came to our family in 2008 as a two year old dog. We were working with a Lab rescue organization and had been fostering dogs. The first one was named Luna. She was a pretty, almost white 7 month old lab who was put into rescue when the family who had her realized they couldn't deal with training a dog with two very young children in their home. We also had two very young children in our home, so I kind of got that. Luna went on to a couple with no kids and another older dog, where she could be trained up and be loved. There were a couple more after her, including a big chocolate guy who had failed to become a good hunting retriever. He was not an indoor dog, so he did things like leave gigantic poops under the dining room table.

Then Danny showed up. He trained to be a show dog, but mild hip dysplasia meant that he wasn't a good prospect for breeding so he was placed into rescue. He walked like a feather on the leash. He just let the kids sit on him. He got along perfectly with our golden retriever. I was already committed to yellow hair on everything. It was pretty clear I was about to be a two dog home.

He was a remarkable eater. The golden was slow and steady. Danny ate faster than I thought was possible for somebody who couldn't pick up the bowl and pour the food into his mouth. But he drank water very neatly. In-laws adopted Danny's half sister a little after we got him, and and after Ruffles is done drinking, I'm not sure if more water went into her or on the floor. So just another reason Danny was the goodest of good boys.

He loved chasing the ball. He carried a ball around in his mouth all the time. When it was time to go out in the morning, he scoured the floor to look for a ball to carry outside. If there were none, he bolted off the porch in search of a ball to carry around. He would drop the ball if anything remotely resembling food was lying around. One year the apple tree in my yard for some reason had a million apples on it. I couldn't rake them up fast enough, and he just kept eating them. I had three times the amount of poop in my yard that fall than normal. When he was younger, he witnessed the golden sneak through the gate to my vegetable garden and eat a ripe tomato. He, on the other hand, followed her in and ate MOST of the ripe tomatoes. After properly securing the gate, he was not to be stopped and used his giant head to push himself under the chain link fence to get in there and eat the rest of them and get started on the green tomatoes. I had to put boards around the bottom to thwart him. He was not much of a problem solver, so once that board blocked his brute force technique, he was stumped.

When we lost the golden in 2011, we brought a Cairn Terrier into the home. Danny, a true pack dog, started to feed off of that guy's energy, which was fascinating but not necessarily great. One day I heard a whole lot of barking in the back yard. Hearing a lot of short, sharp bark, bark, bark was not uncommon from the terrier. But this time it was accompanied by a lot of WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!  So I sighed, put on my sneakers and went outside to investigate. The little one cornered a groundhog up against the fence, and the two of them were barking hysterically as the groundhog stood on it's hind legs snarling at them. I assessed the situation and decided I needed to first remove the manic energy and scooped up the terrier. He was fine with that; they were meant to be pulled back out of cairns by their tails when they cornered prey. Unfortunately (for the groundhog) it turned its head to look at me when I did that, and I saw a yellow flash out of the side of my eye. Next thing I know, Danny's shaking the rodent like a dog shakes a rope toy. Drops it, picks it up again, shakes it again, drops it dead. Me: "Well, that was gross Danny." I was now in possession of the world's gentlest assassin. 

Not long ago in this thread I told the story of him sitting on the possum, who was playing possum, on my porch, so I won't repeat that.

In the last few years, he started to greet my son when he came down from bed every morning by rolling over on his back and doing what became known as the squirmy-wormy. Lots of feet pumping in the air, lots of grunting and moaning. Then he would right himself, shake it off, and wag his tail to say good morning.

When Neo joined the family, Danny put up heroically with all of the humping from the little dog until we could get him fixed and he calmed down a bit. Neo was the property of a very old man for the 8 years of his life and then became the property of that man's 67 year old son for a year before we took him in. Neo had never been with another dog, so he was finicky about his food. He would leave some in the bowl and walk away. Danny taught him what happens when you are part of a pack that has a labrador in it. GULP. All gone. So Neo learned to eat all of his food very quickly, courtesy of Danny's teachings. And Danny learned things from him as well.

Neo, like all Italian greyhounds is not a particularly big fan of being outside in the environment. Cold, Rain, Snow, Wind, all of those things make that breed immediately want to come back inside. So Neo first bounces his front paws against the porch door when he returns from doing his business. If he is not IMMEDIATELY let in, he starts with the Barking. He's a talkative, needy, bossy little guy. Danny couldn't do the bouncing thing, but guess who started barking at the door? For the first 8 years we had him, this never occurred to him. For the last three? WOOF!

He will be missed.  My kids are dealing with it as best they can. We've been heading towards this day for a while. He stopped carrying around his ball a few months ago. He stopped doing the squirmy-wormy late winter. We've gave him extra love the best we could. When he stopped wanting to eat, we knew it was time.

This morning, I've received several Instagram posts from my daughter of golden retriever puppies. In her words, "I'm doing this to make me feel better" and lots of "I want one." I'm sure another dog is in my future. With my kids due to be off to college and adults a few years from now, I'm trying to explain to them that this time it's going to be MY dog for a long time as well, and that they're going to have to deal with the fact I might choose something other than what they want. Although, golden retriever puppies sure are cute, and I'm never going to get all of the yellow hair out of my house...

• Love 16

JTMacc99, that was a beautiful tribute to the goodest of good boys. I like to think my Olivia, the world's goofiest bird dog, greeted Danny at the gates. She adored every dog she met and loved to run and play and be a general spazz. We'll see them again at some point, I'm convinced.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just finished reading about Danny’s life with a tear in my eye. What a good boy. My heartfelt condolences and purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. 

It had the same effect on me when I read it back to myself. I’m glad I wrote it all down. As time passes, I’ve captured the moment for myself. 

• Love 14

I'm so sorry for your loss, @JTMacc99 :(. It doesn't matter how prepared you are for this moment, it doesn't make it any easier when it does come. Danny sounds like he was quite the fun character, and it's clear he brought a lot of joy and happiness to your lives, and you to his as well. Such a lovely tribute-may he rest in peace. 

• Love 9

What a lovely tribute to a lovely dog; I particularly enjoyed all the "monkey see, monkey do" stories.  My condolences on this terrible loss for you and your children.

• Love 10

Thank you all. At the moment, as the family remembers all of the pets we've had and lost, I've been reminded of when I spent several months proclaiming Carl (the cat prior to Luna) "Best Pet in the House!" The children would always say "Better than Danny?!" And I would always reply "Best Pet in the House! Carl is just as good a dude as Danny, and he doesn't leave ten pounds of hair on the ground, bark for no reason, or have room clearing gas."  They had to agree, it was a fair point. Danny of course moved into the much deserved honor of best pet in the house after we lost Carl.

Today we'll be discussing who is currently best pet in the house. I may be voting for Peanut (AKA Spider Pig) the younger guinea pig. She's funny, clean (for a guinea pig) and absolutely no trouble. I plan to engage both kids in a fun conversation about whether or not Neo can get his shit together if he wants anybody to write fond memories of him. Given that he shit on the floor last night, it's not looking promising. And then we'll talk about whether or not Luna has a chance to ascend to best pet in the house status. If she stops destroying things, she's got a chance. She's just a baby still, so I have hope for her.

In other words, we've got a lot of life still running around in my house, and we'll be focusing in on what we have today as opposed to only thinking about what we've lost.

• Love 17

My condolences @JTMacc99.

I just painted over the oily coat rub mark from my previous dog Max (my avatar) this past year.

It's amazing how something that frustrated me so much that I bought a bookcase just so he'd stop doing it made me smile painting over it after he was gone.

He was a goofball but he was my goofball.

RIP Danny.

• Love 14

I overheard the following conversation coming from the kitchen:

(Backstory...I'm trying to feed Chelsea higher protein, lower carb food to help with weight loss. Tried a new brand of kibble. She LOVES it. So, I'm trying her on the same brand of wet food)

Husband: "Get off the counter! You know better than that! You hardly ever do this..."

Chelsea: "Mew, mew...mew" (quiet and sad sounding) Husband places cat gently on floor.

A few minutes later:

Husband: "Seriously?! ... Off!" 

Chelsea: "Meow. Meow. MEOW! ... MEOW!!!" 

Husband: "What? What's wrong? Oh...YUCK. Yes, thats YUCKY. I wouldn't eat it either."

(Well...yes. The new food does have the consistency of gross baby food puree.)

Chelsea: "Meow. Chirps. Purrs"

Husband proceeds to open a can of Fancy Feast (yes, kitty junk food) and gives her that. 

Chelsea: Snarf and its gone. "Loud Purrs".

Me: "Thats not helping"

Husband: "Did you look at that? Its gross! How can she eat that?? The other stuff has food chunks and gravy. This...UGH! Bleh!"

Chelsea rubs against Husbands legs, purring.

Husband: "See! She agrees. Look at her!"

Chelsea is going to be fat forever...

😄 😄 

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, shanndee said:

I overheard the following conversation coming from the kitchen:

(Backstory...I'm trying to feed Chelsea higher protein, lower carb food to help with weight loss. Tried a new brand of kibble. She LOVES it. So, I'm trying her on the same brand of wet food)

Husband: "Get off the counter! You know better than that! You hardly ever do this..."

Chelsea: "Mew, mew...mew" (quiet and sad sounding) Husband places cat gently on floor.

A few minutes later:

Husband: "Seriously?! ... Off!" 

Chelsea: "Meow. Meow. MEOW! ... MEOW!!!" 

Husband: "What? What's wrong? Oh...YUCK. Yes, thats YUCKY. I wouldn't eat it either."

(Well...yes. The new food does have the consistency of gross baby food puree.)

Chelsea: "Meow. Chirps. Purrs"

Husband proceeds to open a can of Fancy Feast (yes, kitty junk food) and gives her that. 

Chelsea: Snarf and its gone. "Loud Purrs".

Me: "Thats not helping"

Husband: "Did you look at that? Its gross! How can she eat that?? The other stuff has food chunks and gravy. This...UGH! Bleh!"

Chelsea rubs against Husbands legs, purring.

Husband: "See! She agrees. Look at her!"

Chelsea is going to be fat forever...

😄 😄 

At least you have a husband to blame it on. My Fat boy has only me to blame. Trust me. I have tried to diet him, prevent him from eating both his sisters and his food and give him the diet stuff. Gratefully he is 14 and still counting without any other health issues (fingers crossed and you know who forbid). 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Proofreading is not my forte before 6 am
  • Love 4

This might help if kitty tends to attack you without a reason.

My rescue tortie would too many times attack me when I was walking by or standing within range of her.

She has her claws--Ouch!!!!!!!

I began to let her sniff whatever is in my hands (and hands) as I stand or walk by and now the only time she attacks is if I forget to let her sniff.

It's not her fault that this is obviously extremely important to her.

Just my experience with one cat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

At least you have a husband to blame it on. My Fat boy has only me to blame. Trust me. I have tried to diet him, prevent him from eating both his sisters and his food and give him the diet stuff. Gratefully he is 14 and still counting without any other health issues (fingers crossed and you know who forbid). 

Yes, and I am grateful to have someone to share the blame! He *says* that he appreciates what I am trying to do with her diet, but he can't stand to see her hungry. (Well, she wouldn't BE hungry if he left the food down and gave her a real chance to try it...but...having said that...this higher quality wet food really is gross! 😄 ) 

I'd say your boy has earned a few extra pounds if he is 14 with no other health issues! 🙂 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shanndee said:

but...having said that...this higher quality wet food really is gross! 😄 ) 

Riley won't eat canned food of any kind.  Only dry, which I will only let her eat a small amount of as a treat, and raw.  Now, great, because I feel raw is the best diet.  Except, after first liking any of it - chicken, duck, rabbit - she decided she'd only eat rabbit.  After a whole year of rabbit, I thought her previously-beloved chicken would be new and exciting to her again.  Nope.  She still wanted the rabbit.  I hate the smell of it.  And, she'll eat more of the medallions (which I tear up into big bites) than she will of the bites, even though it's the same formula.  She is not a big eater, at all, so I need to cater to these little quirks of hers so she gets adequate calories and nutrition.  So every day, here I am, tearing up stinky food into Riley-approved bites.  Talk about gross.

Anyway, I've posted this before, but it has been quite some time -- when evaluating whether your cat is a healthy size, the weight is not as important as the shape.  The ideal weight varies from cat to cat depending on their frame.  Below is a sample chart, but basically what you're looking for is a waist when viewed from above, an abdominal "tuck" when viewed from the side, and to be able to easily feel the ribs but not see them.

feline body chart.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

@Mindthinkr I use the site Picresize to resize and at times crop photos I post here and elsewhere. They freshened their site up cosmetically recently which left everything in place but it's a lot more pleasing in regards to looks on the eyes. (Not that it matters just thought I'd mention it) I always choose the best quality JPG for the last option after uploading my photo which usually ends up still being good looking quality wise and small enough in MB size to post here. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Jaded said:

@Mindthinkr I use the site Picresize to resize and at times crop photos I post here and elsewhere. They freshened their site up cosmetically recently which left everything in place but it's a lot more pleasing in regards to looks on the eyes. (Not that it matters just thought I'd mention it) I always choose the best quality JPG for the last option after uploading my photo which usually ends up still being good looking quality wise and small enough in MB size to post here. 

I’ve been using Resize My Picture but lately it won’t allow me to save them on my iPad. I then screenshot them and crop so I can post. I’ll try your suggestion next time. Thanks. 🐾

• Love 1
(edited)

Just found out tonight that my former outdoor kitty, Princess aka Mama Cat was found deceased by her current caretaker a few months back. He thinks she was a victim of an animal attack. She was at least 11 years old, if not older.

I found her in 2008 running around my school's parking lot.  Security and a few other students were trying to catch her to keep her from getting hit. I just so happened to have a carrier in my car that day and was able to grab her.  I didn't yet work at an animal shelter, but I was volunteering at our local Humane Society. I got her spayed and was planning on re-homing her. When I put her in the carrier to take her to the Humane Society to be put up for adoption, my cat at the time, Milo (whom was the only cat she ever got along with), jumped on top of the carrier she was in, looked up at me and meowed pleadingly and incessantly, as if to ask "Can she stay, Mom?". I couldn't let her go after that. I was able to keep her indoors for about a year before the call of the outside became too overwhelming for her and she kept trying to sneak out. I finally relented after a few sleepless nights of chasing her down to just let her become an indoor/outdoor cat. All was fine until I rescued Diamond in 2011. They got along so poorly (because they were so similar in personality, I think), that she ran outside one day and refused to come back in from that point on. My upstairs neighbors at the complex where I was living at the time were huge cat lovers and she lived between their two apartments. They gave her a bed, seafood and steak table scraps, as well as top of the line dry food. Eventually she became the indoor/outdoor cat of one of the neighbors, whom she slept with on his bed every few nights or so. I moved in 2014 but visited regularly until my friend (one of her feeders) moved to Iowa two years ago. On those visits, she would follow me everywhere, head bonk me, but would run if I tried to touch her.

Even though she wasn't technically my cat anymore, she was never far from my thoughts. I keep remembering how she would always follow me around when I went up and down the block, talking away on my cellphone back in the day.

She was a scrappy little thing, an excellent huntress and and put any other animal in their place. I guess she finally met a fight that she couldn't win and I'm sorry for that. She deserved a better ending than that. Rest easy and godspeed Princess/Mama Cat.

269023_10151182025529907_69962328_n.jpg

This photo shows what a daredevil she was. She never liked walking on the floor, always preferred the banister and never fell off. She always made us so nervous with these antics.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 8

@JTMacc99 - I am so very sorry for your loss.  Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful memories of Danny with us.  I was smiling through my tears.

@AgentRXS - My condolences on the loss of Princess/Mama Cat.  She will have a special place in your heart and your memories forever.

I wish I could tell stories about my dearly departed boys, but I'm one of those weirdo weepers who can't even think about them without the tears and snot flowing.  Fucking menopause.

• Love 13

@JTMacc99   Man I love that picture of Danny. That was such a lovely and well written tribute I got visuals of what occurred though I’ve never seen the location.  I am so sorry for your loss.

@AgentRXS  She looks scrappy indeed.  I’m a little jealous of her adventurous spirit-girl knew how to live life. And grateful she received so much love by you and others. Sending you hugs. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

Man I love that picture of Danny. 

Me too. He usually had such sad eyes for such a happy dog. Not in that photo though. 

I continue to get a daily bombardment of Golden Retriever puppy videos from my daughter.

She’s wearing me down. 

• Love 9

I think the bigger dog almost steps on the puppy's head at one point, too!

Similar thing happens with my cats. Lily is very possessive and loves attention, and so if she ever sees Mitsi snuggled up by my mom or in some spot on the couch, she'll either try and chase her away, or she'll just shove herself right on in there and settle in, whether Mitsi wants her there or not :p. 

She also seems to be able to tell when we're talking to Mitsi or cooing over some cute animal we see on TV, 'cause then she'll wander into the room like, "Hi. You seem to be paying attention to a cat that isn't me." 

• Love 7

Little Girl wants everyone to know she is beautiful and with her legs that don't quit, she should be a model.

IMG_20190614_190908_522-1209x1511.thumb.jpg.f2464a4f53f1e45a98450a77c64f69a9.jpg

I agree, because I need her to help pay her and her mother's food and litter bill.

• Love 20

Oh @bilgistic, Little Girl is gorgeous! 

She makes me a little misty eyed...she looks a lot like my old cat One-Eyed-Jack. He used to lay down like that too (what my husband would call his Egyptian cat/god pose).

I think Bast would approve of both of them. 😄

Beautiful cat. 🙂

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, shanndee said:

He used to lay down like that too (what my husband would call his Egyptian cat/god pose).

We call it Sphinxing.  Cats are extra adorable (and, of course, regal) when they strike that pose.

Bandit, one of my parents' cats, has one front leg that is all white and one that is white with a big patch of his dark grey striped pattern.  Even more often than he "Sphinxes," he sits with just that patterned leg extended.  Showing off his pretty leg, we say. 

• Love 10

After cleaning my gutters, weeding and edging my lawn (by hand), spreading 18 bales of pine straw I was exhausted. I curled up for a nap on my sun porch. My little girl cat came and cuddled up into my abdomen. You have no idea how good that felt to be spooned when I was so flat out tired. Also because she’ll growl (remember she is the biter) if any perceived threat was to come about. That was such a good one hour nap.  Big Boy was a pain and obviously jealous. He was hitting the blinds making noises to wake us and take over. Sorry son. We were just too tired to fall for your trick, however, he is now spooning my back as I’m going to sleep. I’m so grateful for my two blessings although they are sometimes a PITA. 

• Love 9

If you like fat cat belleh's and cannot lie, there is a FB group called this THIS CAT IS C H O N K Y.  Nothing but fat cat pics.It really is the best thing on social media that I've seen in a long time.

It's a closed group, but you just answer 3 silly questions and you can join. Been struggling with depression lately and having my timeline feed filled with big ole cat belleh's puts a smile on my face.  I recommend joining for anyone needed a little pick me up throughout the day.

• Love 5