Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Cranberry

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

So sorry, Moose135! Enjoying Denali from your pictures was a great joy and she will be missed from afar. Crying now 😞

• Like 5

@Moose135 I am so sorry about Denali. Thank you for sharing her pictures with us.  I rarely post here, but I lurk to see pictures of her.  She always looked so happy and loved in her pictures that it never failed to bring a smile to my face.  She was clearly a very loved and happy dog.

• Like 8

On 2/22/2019 at 9:18 PM, Moose135 said:

Denali was the sweetest, loving-est, friendliest, toughest little pup I've ever known.  She wasn't in my life all that long in the scheme of things, but we fell in love with one another from the first time we met.  I will miss her forever.

What a gorgeous dog.  Please treasure the memories you have had with her. 

• Like 3

If you haven't seen the new Pixar short Kitbull you need to. But don't do it at work and make sure you have a box of tissue. I lasted 15 seconds before I started crying and was ugly crying by the end (it is a happy ending).

Edit to add feelings:

It makes me so angry that movies like this even have to be made to bring awareness to animal cruelty. When I was a kid my grandparents neighbors had a beautiful dog (not sure what kind but it was a big dog) that they kept locked in a cage, outdoors with very little interaction. 30+ years later I still remember how upset that made me. People who abuse and neglect animals should rot in prison and then in hell.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 9

I watch a lot of pets up for adoption videos and I am starting to notice a horrible trend.

Special needs dogs, that are only special needs dogs, because they were beaten as puppies.  Left often brain damaged, blind with hearing loss, In some cases with other neurological problems.

There have also been news stories of people throwing house pets out of moving vehicles in the middle of traffic.

If the pets are lucky, they survive the horror.  Often times they end up permanently injured or dead.

Hopefully all of these pets find good homes with compassionate owners.

Why any individual would get any sort of satisfaction out of beating a pet or tossing it out of a car I will never know. Kittens and puppies are defenseless.   It is a cowardly act.   If you have anger issues, seek professional help.  Don't take out on defenseless house pets. 

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

My girls would probably love that! Maybe for their adoptiversary in October if I have a job by then that pays more. Please god.

• Like 2

11666307-6917-42F6-9A2D-AF6C2C7940D5.thumb.jpeg.0af7844607dc239d069c82be513b8623.jpeg

Happy Fat Tuesday to all my furry and feathered friends. 

(Sorry I couldn’t turn the picture around. I have the tech skills of a guppy) 

• Like 17

Fun facts about the purring deadbeats:

• Catsby has the most gigantic claws I've ever seen on a cat. No wonder he's not really afraid of anything.
  • Calypso's black & white coat pattern continues into her mouth, where it's black & pink.

They've finally decided that it's ok to share a chair. Only took 10 months.

mkvhjs.jpg

Catsby has appointed himself the official guard cat for our property. Here he's telling another cat to go away.

dfdijc.jpg

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Spring is coming, Alli can feel it!

We should all share Alli's bliss.

Her doggie toes look like people fingers 😊

• Like 8

My cat that I grew up with was euthanized today. She was such a sweet cat and loving towards everyone. She was almost 15 so that's pretty long for a cat. We also had a second cat who was her littermate and we got them both as kittens, but she died a few years ago. They both died of the same thing -- they had some kind of autoimmune disease that appeared later in life and eventually went into kidney failure. I don't talk to my mom anymore so I hadn't seen the cat in about 3 1/2 years either so I didn't get to say goodbye or anything.

Anyway this is one reason why I will never own a pet again (except my MIL's conure who will probably live forever but it's not my choice to have her). It's all well and good when you're having fun times with them, but then they die.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Sad 10

So sorry about your childhood cat, Buymoreandsave....its hard to hear right now but in my opinion the great joy and privilege of having an animal companion far outweighs the inevitable sorrow as their lives are so much shorter than ours. When my tom, Mister Oh, had to be euthanized a couple of years ago (he was 20! and we found him on our mountain property at age 6 months), I was devastated as he saw me through a lot of things including major surgery and the recovery from that with love and purrs and snuggling that was irreplaceable. Nonetheless after 6 months I realized I could not imagine living without a cat in my home so we were able to be adopted by a shelter cat who is currently snoring on my office couch and is already an older guy so I certainly won't have 20 years with this one.

I'm old so I have had a number of cats now (and grew up with a lovely doggie) and its never easy to give them the gift of a peaceful passing but taking on that responsibility is also part of a life with pets and can be experienced with gratitude as well as sadness.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, isalicat said:

So sorry about your childhood cat, Buymoreandsave....its hard to hear right now but in my opinion the great joy and privilege of having an animal companion far outweighs the inevitable sorrow as their lives are so much shorter than ours. When my tom, Mister Oh, had to be euthanized a couple of years ago (he was 20! and we found him on our mountain property at age 6 months), I was devastated as he saw me through a lot of things including major surgery and the recovery from that with love and purrs and snuggling that was irreplaceable. Nonetheless after 6 months I realized I could not imagine living without a cat in my home so we were able to be adopted by a shelter cat who is currently snoring on my office couch and is already an older guy so I certainly won't have 20 years with this one.

I'm old so I have had a number of cats now (and grew up with a lovely doggie) and its never easy to give them the gift of a peaceful passing but taking on that responsibility is also part of a life with pets and can be experienced with gratitude as well as sadness.

1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

@BuyMoreAndSave 

My condolences and purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. 

Thanks guys ❤️

• Like 3

I'm so sorry, @BuyMoreAndSave.  I know how hard it is to lose a furry friend.

Some good news on the pet front - GF knows a number of local Aussie breeders, and several have told her when she's ready, they'll have a puppy for her.  One friend has just offered a 1-year-old Aussie - he came from a litter her dog sired, and the owner is looking to return him, as they are having some difficulties (I think they just didn't realize the energy Aussies have.)  He's housebroken and crate trained, and she's heard from a few people that he has an amazingly friendly personality.  We should be able to meet him in about two weeks, so we'll see how it goes.

• Like 11

The cat-cat was sneezing a lot yesterday. I know cats don't normally sneeze so this is mildly concerning and I'll be calling the vet tomorrow if it continues. They did determine my sweet CA boy is allergic to GA so I figure that's what it is.

I was looking at switching their cat food from Purina Cat-Naturals to something else to help with their weight management and the kitten-cats skin allergies (the vet wants to put him on Royal Canin $$$$$ food that I can't afford) I started reading the reviews for Blue Buffalo. Holy shit! So many kitties got sick and died within a week of eating their food. How is this not all over the news??

• Like 2
  • Surprise 2

5 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I was looking at Crave. Is it made in the USA or Canada? That's one of my big things 

It is owned by Mars Pet Care, with a US based PO Box, but there is a also a Canadian address listed on the bag as well. So I'm not sure. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

It is owned by Mars Pet Care, with a US based PO Box, but there is a also a Canadian address listed on the bag as well. So I'm not sure. 

Thanks! I was trying to find it on the bag at Target, and on their website. I only buy cat food / treats from companies that manufacturer in the US or Canada. I was on my phone when I responded first. Now that I'm at a computer it looks like it is made in the US. They also make Royal Canin 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I use Crave. My picky girls love it! : https://www.cravepetfoods.com/pet-food/dry-cat/chicken

My Babalu is on a prescription diet, but I feed Purina Cat Naturals to my semi-ferals.  Nighttime cat bowls get regular cat chow or whatever's cheap, 'cause the possum and raccoons hoover that shit up!).  They also get "treats" of the good stuff when it's on sale at Grocery outlet.  They loved the EVO, and are now working their way through a couple of bags of Crave.  Some prefer the cheaper stuff, and some go straight for the high end food.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2019 at 9:33 AM, theredhead77 said:

The cat-cat was sneezing a lot yesterday. I know cats don't normally sneeze so this is mildly concerning and I'll be calling the vet tomorrow if it continues. They did determine my sweet CA boy is allergic to GA so I figure that's what it is.

Official diagnosis: allergic to Georgia! (Vet said he's healthy)

• Like 8

Say hello to Jake!  He's a year-old Australian Shepherd - his birthday was this past Saturday - and we brought him home last night.  GF has a good friend who breeds Aussies, and had promised her a puppy from her next litter, in about 3 months.  Jake was from an earlier litter and went to an owner about an hour away. They ended up returning him, I think they just didn't realize how much energy a young (or even older) Aussie has - they have a couple of older Labs, so they're experienced pet parents, but Aussies can be a handful, always a ball of energy.

He's a big lovable mush, a snugglebug, something Denali wasn't.  We're working on getting used to each other, he's been through a bunch in the past few weeks going from home to home.  He does know some basic commands, and we're having to break him of climbing on furniture and the bed.  He's also a "counter surfer" which we knew since his grandfather (owned by our breeder friend) is also one, and apparently it's genetic.

He's a good size and structure for a show dog, but the asymmetrical markings on his head would keep him out of confirmation trials - that's what you would see if you were watching the Westminster Dog Show, where dogs are judges on how they conform to the breed standards.  He can still compete in agility and obedience trials, which we will probably do once he is a little older.

We're really looking forward to how things go with him.  So far, we haven't seen or heard of any negatives that might arise.  Right now, he's sleeping on the floor next to me. He really is a sweetheart!

JM_2019_03_25_Jake_the_Aussie_005-XL.jpg

JM_2019_03_25_Jake_the_Aussie_003-XL.jpg

JM_2019_03_25_Jake_the_Aussie_006-XL.jpg

JM_2019_03_26_Jake_the_Aussie_001-XL.jpg

JM_2019_03_25_Jake_the_Aussie_008-XL.jpg

• Like 23

Oh Moose, Jake is handsome. Perfect confirmation or not. I hope that he gives years of joy to you and your Lady friend. Agility? Lol...who’s going to train who. With all that energy? A counter surfer? I’ve never heard of a dog who does that, but I know people who let their cats up on the kitchen counter and table. That’s  a peeve of mine. Best wishes to your new extended family. Purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. 

Edited by Mindthinkr · Reason: Punctuation
  • Like 4

Just now, Mindthinkr said:

A counter surfer? I’ve never heard of a dog who does that but I know people who let their cats up on the kitchen counter and table and that’s a peeve of mine.

He doesn't actually climb on the counter, but will stick his nose up to see what's there, and if there's any food near the edge, he'll try to grab it.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I know people who let their cats up on the kitchen counter and table.

Cat is gonna cat so I wipe down the counters before I cook. I remove the kitten-cat when he jumps up but I turn around and he's back up there.

@Moose135 Jake is a floofy floof who just needs all the snuggles (and the bed!!!). I wanna boop his widdle node and give him all the cuddles!

• Like 6

It was a beautiful day today, about 75 degrees, sunny, with a nice breeze.  We took Jake up to a nearby business park that has a lake and walking trail to give him a chance to walk a bit and for a few photos.

JM_2019_03_30_Jake_the_Aussie_006-XL.jpg

JM_2019_03_30_Jake_the_Aussie_007-XL.jpg

JM_2019_03_30_Jake_the_Aussie_001-XL.jpg

JM_2019_03_30_Jake_the_Aussie_011-XL.jpg

JM_2019_03_30_Jake_the_Aussie_012-XL.jpg

We've gotten through the first week (well, 6 days) pretty well.  He is a big, lovable mush, very affectionate, and loves to be with us.  We're learning about him, what he does and knows, and he's learning about us. He is fairly well behaved when we're walking him on a leash, he pulls a little and gets interested in squirrels and bunnies, but settles down when corrected.  His previous owners allowed him on the furniture, and breaking him of that is a work in progress.  This morning, he went into the bathroom and came out with GF's toothbrush hanging out of his mouth.  On the other hand, he didn't mind when she spent a couple of minutes brushing his teeth, and when she sat on the floor with him to brush him out, he all but fell asleep.  He is reluctant to get in the car when we want to take him for a ride.  We don't know what sort of experiences he had in the past, so it may be something we need to get him acclimated to.

We discovered that he recognizes other animals, especially dogs, on television. There is some current commercials with a group of dogs sitting around a campfire talking about whatever it is they are talking about, and he will sit and watch it all the way through.  If he hears a bark, he will turn and look at the TV to see where it come from.  GF ran a couple of videos she had of Denali from several years back, where she was working with a trainer doing some sheep herding.  Jake sat and watched the videos, and at one time, when Denali got close to the camera then disappeared out the bottom of the screen, Jake got up and ran to the TV, looking under it trying to see where she went.

We still have some work with him, but he seems like a wonderful, friendly, happy dog, and we seem to have fallen in love with one another.

• Like 23

@Moose135: What a gorgeous, snuggly, lovable dog!!! I'm so happy for you and for Jake (who has finally found a safe, loving, forever home) 😊

• Like 8

I am really starting to fall in love with Aussies! One of my friends has a Miniature American Shepherd (Mini Aussie) and her stories about raising and training him are pure gold! Such smart, charismatic mischief makers!

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never have another dog (I have even bid adieu to my fantasy retirement dog), but I enjoy living vicariously through others!

Now I'm off to look for my cat. She has been concerning quiet for the last little while... 🙂 

• Like 3

Sunday morning we went to a local dog show and watched the Aussies in the ring. We came across Lucas - he is Jake's brother, from the same litter.  GF posted a picture of Jake on a local Aussie owners' FB page, and someone replied with a photo of her dog Harley who had almost identical markings as Jake - Harley is Jake and Lucas' sister...

Here's Lucas:

JM_2019_03_31_Greater_Monroe_Kennel_Club

• Like 10

45 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Sunday morning we went to a local dog show and watched the Aussies in the ring. We came across Lucas - he is Jake's brother, from the same litter.  GF posted a picture of Jake on a local Aussie owners' FB page, and someone replied with a photo of her dog Harley who had almost identical markings as Jake - Harley is Jake and Lucas' sister...

Here's Lucas:

JM_2019_03_31_Greater_Monroe_Kennel_Club

Lucas' markings might be more "correct", but I like Jake's face better.  🙂 

• Like 4

This distinguished gentleman was in a car beside mine at Rite Aid today. His expression and demeanor cracked me up. He didn't make a sound; he just sat there and looked at me. I like to think his owner was inside the store getting him a newspaper. I bid him a good day and went on my way.

RiteAidDoggo.thumb.jpg.c1827b4e8de03e0bb89e04b4041c0ba2.jpg

• Like 15
  • Laugh 8

Burmese Mountain Dog!  Such a good looking breed and very sweet for such a big working dog. And see if this description from the AKC sounds about right @bilgistic:

”Berners are imposing but not threatening, and they maintain an aloof dignity with strangers.”

• Like 5

Ha! That's a very apt description! He had an "aloof dignity" perfected.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Burmese Mountain Dog!

Bernese Mountain Dog.  Burmese Python.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Bernese Mountain Dog.  Burmese Python.  🙂

Heh. If autocorrect doesn’t put a red line under it, I assume it’s right. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

But a possibly part Burmese cat!

IMG_20181227_103407-647x756.jpg.e40ffc0ae1def8ae7b5a106faeab4887.jpg

Speaking of my cats...today is Little Girl's third birthday! She and her mother are both three years old for three months because Little Mama was a teenage mom. Here's a collage of Little Girl's pictures.

IMG_20190404_004933_081.thumb.jpg.6f455ab1c4d71cbed61566e5ecd33ac6.jpg

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 19

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

But a possibly part Burmese cat!

IMG_20181227_103407-647x756.jpg.e40ffc0ae1def8ae7b5a106faeab4887.jpg

Speaking of my cats...today is Little Girl's third birthday! She and her mother are both three years old for three months because Little Mama was a teenage mom. Here's a collage of Little Girl's pictures.

IMG_20190404_004933_081.thumb.jpg.6f455ab1c4d71cbed61566e5ecd33ac6.jpg

Happy Birthday to your girl. They look so shiny and sleek. Purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. 

• Like 5