Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

My very tall dog has figured out that he can literally walk over the barriers I use to block him into part of the house (like away from the front window during the AM since I clearly need to be alerted that my neighbor has opened the garage to leave for work or kids are waiting for the school bus).  Since Kook only barks at one level - maximum - it can be quite unsettling.

He is not happy now that I scold him for being a rebel.

Catty Face has decided to be an asshole and keeps nimbly leaping over the barriers just to show him he can without getting in trouble.  Or he sits right on the other side of the barrier.

• Love 7

@Bastet, thanks for the link to Dr. Lisa Pierson's list! Kitty Gunderson the Younger is going to get a diet makeover for the new year. Some of the foods we have been giving her have too much phosphorus (she has kidney disease). She approves of the change, as she thinks the stuff we give her now is crap (it's not, but she's picky). 

• Love 1

I'm glad to have helped you and Kitty, @MargeGunderson.  When Maddie was diagnosed with CKD many, many moons ago, I immediately launched into a diet research project, because I hate the ingredients used by the prescription food companies and was hoping there was something better out there.  That's how I learned it's not just the inferior ingredients (and the infuriating practice of charging as if they're made with expensive ingredients; I can't even imagine their profit margin, and it makes me angry every time the subject comes up), but that the entire concept - of low protein/low phosphorus - is half wrong.

So then I set out to find something among the commercial foods with good ingredients that had reduced phosphorus content but adequate protein.  This data is obviously not on the cans (that's just "guaranteed analysis," a max/min percentage it's guaranteed to fall within) and was often not even on the manufacturer's website (this has thankfully changed in large part by now).  So I had to contact the manufacturers to get the "as-fed" data, and then do the math to come up with dry matter analysis (to properly compare between foods with different moisture contents) and the caloric composition (how much of its calories come from protein, fat, and carbs, because too high in carbs is bad).  To get to my one-page spreadsheet was months of work and all those numbers invaded my dreams.  

I wrote up a one-page summary of the issues at hand with caring for CKD cats, added a column to the spreadsheet with the lowest local price for each of my CKD-approved foods, and my vet handed that out to other clients whose cats had CKD.  I think it was a couple of years later that Dr. Lisa Pierson came out with her initial spreadsheet, which grew to the pages long project as stands today.  So now we can just direct people there.  The amount of work that went into it is staggering, and she, not her assistant, did most of it (I learned this when I heard back from her assistant after passing on the crunched numbers on a couple of formulas she didn't have on her list).  It's a tremendous resource, so I share it with other cat owners whenever it's relevant, and always credit Dr. Pierson in the link by name (rather than just saying "here's a chart") because it was such a labor of love.

• Love 5

Been a few months since I posted about the two new felines. They've both settled in fairly well now, although Calypso is still a bit nervous about sudden noises. Probably related to the injuries she got as a stray.

Catsby now prefers to spend evenings on my bed snuggled up against my legs. He's mostly an indoor kitty.  Calypso has staked out a number of nests for herself (on the washing machine, on the bathroom counter, behind the door in Mom's room, in front of the wood stove, etc) which she uses as the mood strikes her. She's more of an outdoor kitty.

I've been giving them both dry food and canned food, but I've managed to convince them that the canned food is a special treat that they only get when I call them. In other words, I've trained them to come when I call. Rather handy that.

Both cats have determined that the best time to approach me for petting is when I'm sitting down, usually when I'm trying to use the computer. I'm currently trying to type around Catsby, who's reclining on the wrist pad in front of the keyboard with his nose stuck into my armpit.

Been raining a lot this week, and neither of the furry twits has enough sense to just stay indoors. They want back in almost immediately after going out, probably because the rain makes lots of noise on the metal awning over the deck.

Catsby getting full use of the ratty old recliner in the living room:

2e1uozn.jpg

Calypso preventing me from making the bed:

2r6cpya.jpg

• Love 14

News about the Mindthinkr cat:

A week ago we went for our yearly vet check and to get vaccinated. They have never had their nails clipped because they were outdoor cats and hunters in our previous home. I asked that they be cut in an effort to slow down the clawing on my furniture and that she likes to scratch herself a lot during the months I have to heat on. (To slightly reduce the self cutting it produces). The first thing they did was their nails. Big Boy was no problem, but she didn’t like it one bit. Then she moved onto the regular things..weight, temp etc. Girl cat wasn’t happy and the tech was trying to hold her, awkwardly, as she was squirming. We explained that she might need to be restrained or at least wear protective gloves. Girl Cat got that look on her face and we told the girl to let her go. Cat was getting angrier and again we warned her to let her go. She does not like being man-handled. “No need, I can handle a 10 lb cat”. After the third time of YOU NEED TO LET HER GO all hell ensued. She twisted like a contortionist and bit the assistant. Hard. Drew blood. Hey, she was warned three times and told that this wasn’t going to end well. Then the vet came in. The exams were finished, vaccines given and the visit was over. Due to the fact that the tech was bleeding, we were told that she was going to the local Doc in a Box for treatment. No stitches, but two antibiotics were given. They also mentioned that she’d be reported to the Sheriffs Dept. They also gave me a follow up call at home to reiterate that the cat was going to have a report filed on her. So the next morning the Deputy shows up at my door. He was satisfied that they’d (even though the incident only involved Girl Cat) always had their inoculations on time and their cat taxes and licenses were up to date. Then I was told she was under quarantine and under house arrest. Yes, I have a litter box. No, there’s no cat door. Yes, they are indoor cats. Why? Coyotes, I answered. Etc etc. then they needed to physically see her. Well for once she didn’t dive under my bed or furniture and stood at the entrance to my bedroom eyeing this stranger with the authoritative voice. (Loud and booming) He explained it would last 10 days and they would be doing spot checks every few days. Ha, so now I’m busy in the am making my bed and cleaning up for the Deputy. Yes, there have been follow up calls (How is she? Is she exhibiting any new symptoms? Yada yada yada). Spot checks...yes. It also means I don’t know when to go to the store and I have to curtail my activities lest I become non-compliant for these unannounced surprise visits. They also park far away and walk to the door. I never did see where he parked and which vehicle he was driving (Sheriffs car or Animal Control truck). I wonder what my neighbors are thinking as they appear every few days. This mess ends Saturday. I can’t wait. I understand that they need to do these things for other owners who might not be as responsible as I am. I don’t even know how she could contract rabies or distemper because she has always been vaccinated on time. She did bite once before. Me. I knew better at time, but was determined to get her flea medication on. She drew blood and after 3 days it got red and I went in and got the antibiotics. I didn’t have to deal with the Sheriffs Dept then and don’t know if it was reported, but I guess it’s a rule like child abuse having to be reported. This is her second offense. I have been told next time she will be euthanized. She is not a mean cat but hates being man-handled. The tech was warned numerous times. I don’t want to blame her, but if she had worn protective gloves, let her go as suggested or restrained her this would not have happened. I have been very stressed over this situation. I will tell people not to pet her (she usually responds well as long as they don’t grab). I don’t know what else to do. Lock her in the room when people come over? I feel like a criminal. 

• Love 4

The quarantining of animal for 10 days due to its involvement in a bite to a human is necessary because the Dept of Health in every state requires it, even if is a provoked bite or happens on the animals own property. That is the incubation time of the rabies virus. Even though your animals are up to date on their vaccines, its required by law.

However, your county seems to have stricter rules when it comes to quarantines with the random check ups. I would also contact your Animal Control Dept to discuss that "euthanasia rule". If the bite was provoked, then it shouldn't be held against her.

I'm sorry this happened to you. 

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 11

That is utter bullshit @Mindthinkr and I hope you are looking for a new vet and file also a complaint against the tech who didn't listen to you and as a result received an injury you told her was going to happen. Also leave a review on Yelp and get the word out about this incompetent, ignorant tech. I am livid on your behalf.

When the kitten-cat went full Cujo I was terrified that something like that was going to happen but they said they were fine and they don't report that sort of bite / "attack" to anyone.

• Love 9

Brown wrapping paper with a sort of waffle weave, patchy in places. Does this ring a bell with anyone? My sister sent me something, the store wrapped it in this paper, and the Girl Cat looooooves it. The store doesn't have email or I'd ask them what it's called and where to get it, and my Google skills are on the fritz, I guess. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ABay said:

Brown wrapping paper with a sort of waffle weave, patchy in places. Does this ring a bell with anyone? My sister sent me something, the store wrapped it in this paper, and the Girl Cat looooooves it. The store doesn't have email or I'd ask them what it's called and where to get it, and my Google skills are on the fritz, I guess. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

This? https://www.uline.com/BL_1961/Indented-Kraft-Paper?keywords=Waffle+Paper

@Mindthinkr - I am so sorry.  As a vet tech, I am appalled.  Techs that say they 'can handle a 10lb animal' are just foolish and should not be working with animals.  They are putting their own ego before the welfare of the animal in their care and that always angers me up.  I never do nail trims before the what I like to call the important stuff, i.e. Vet exam, vaccines, and/or blood/urine. You never know when an animal will reach its limit, so I want to make sure the important stuff gets done first. I would rather an animal goes home with its vaccines than a nail trim, even if that means the client isn't happy. We actually even do axillary temps (in their armpit) instead of rectal temps, unless there is some concern the animal is sick to try and prevent undo stress. I would look for a new vet if that is an option.  If not, I would request a different tech when you do visit.  If your kitty does seem stressed for medical handling, you might want to talk to your vet about trying gabapentin.  We usually prescribe it for our kitties that are unhappy at the vet and/or with traveling. It can cause them to be sleepy and we have had a lot of success using it with our kitties that do not enjoy time at the vet no matter how happy I am to see them.  I use it for my dog (in combo with another drug) when I have to bring him to work or when a large amount of company comes over my house because he gets really stressed out.  He still isn't completely happy, but it takes the edge off.  So sorry you had this experience.

• Love 7

My daughter’s friend’s dog needs his nails trimmed, but he gets so stressed the groomers have said they can’t do it.  The vet’s office has tried but due to the dog’s extreme anxiety, they said they could do it on a future visit but they would need to put him under anesthesia first.

Does this sound normal?  My dog’s have always worn down their nails by walks, although the vet tech’s take care of Kook’s dew claws since they are pretty substantial.

Anesthesia seems extreme.

• Love 1

That sounds excessive, but who knows what might have happened to the dog in the past to get him so upset.  Every three or four weeks Denali gets her nails done.  There's a local pet supply place (like Pets Plus, but a local store) and one night a week they have a couple of women who come in and trim nails (they use one of those Dremel tools rather than a clipper) and the money they charge goes to a pet rescue place.  Denali loves it, because she gets cookies as a reward when she is done.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 7

Have they tried giving trazodone and gabapentin the night before and 2 hours before the vet visit for the nail trim to see if that helps to calm the dog down?  I sound like I am really pushing the drugs, but they do help in some cases!  We have done sedated nail trims, but very rarely.  It's not full blown anesthesia where they are intubated, but we give some drugs that will mostly knock them out, but usually are reversible when we are done.  We have refused to do nail trims on animals that are too stressed out, especially if they have other underlying conditions because it puts the animal at risk. We also don't want to put people at risk for getting hurt trying to restrain them.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, ABay said:

2 hours ago, ABay said:

@theredhead77, I think that might be too solid. But thank you! This is a picture of the paper. It might be "mesh" but the images I find online look either too solid or too open:

paper.jpg

I don't know where to get it, but Walmart uses it to wrap glass jars on their delivery items.  

5 minutes ago, ABay said:

Thanks, @walnutqueen

I think I found it! It's Ranpak Geami WrapPak. And it costs $73 on Amazon!

Girl Cat will have to make do with regular brown paper for now.

Glad you found it!

Shoot them a note, maybe they'll send you some as a sample or give you a list of local vendors that sell it.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, ABay said:

Thanks, @walnutqueen

I think I found it! It's Ranpak Geami WrapPak. And it costs $73 on Amazon!

Girl Cat will have to make do with regular brown paper for now.

That's insanely expensive.  Next time I get a delivery with some, I'll PM you & send it to Girl Cat.  My Babalu totally ignores the stuff, so it was recycled.

Which was suggested she do.

Took Kook on an errand with me earlier just so he doesn't always associate getting in the car with a long trip or a visit to the vet or groomers for a bath (in colder weather washing my very reluctant dog in the tub is less than rewarding for either of us).  He was so excited when we got home, he ran to find the cat and give him a good chase.

Silly Kook.

• Love 3

Good news! My sister has found some of the mystery paper and is sending it. Girl Cat will be so happy. Although that will look just like it does when she doesn't really care.

Cats, amirite?

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ABay said:

Cats, amirite?

The ONLY reason I keep on living.

Meanwhile, my Babalu is eagerly anticipating the return of Game of Thrones, because I beat out a drum solo on his body to the opening theme music.  I cannot bear to tell him this is the last season.

• Love 4

Yep, cats. Snip has decided that she now wants Lily's sleeping spot on my bed, next to the pillows on the alarm clock side.  So Lily is now sleeping in the living room, and I'm getting whacked in the nose (with claws) when the alarm goes off in the morning.

• Love 1
On 1/11/2019 at 12:25 AM, DeLurker said:

My daughter’s friend’s dog needs his nails trimmed, but he gets so stressed the groomers have said they can’t do it.  The vet’s office has tried but due to the dog’s extreme anxiety, they said they could do it on a future visit but they would need to put him under anesthesia first.

Does this sound normal?  My dog’s have always worn down their nails by walks, although the vet tech’s take care of Kook’s dew claws since they are pretty substantial.

That’s my dog. And yes, it’s true. I asked earlier at some point in this thread if they knew of a help but no one did. It’s horrible.

Knoxie goes and has gone on long walks and they just won’t wear them down. I’ve scoured the Internet like you wouldn’t believe. 

I can also give PSA.  I went to brunch one Sunday and I still get a Christmas stocking as an adult and the goods were on a table in a bag (!) and we determined Knoxie had eaten 15 plus mini Reese cups, 10 Hershey kiss, and maybe 20 other bite size- all milk chocolate upon return. 

Well- as you can imagine that scared me. They asked how much, when, what kind. I told them and they were like can you get here in 30 minutes and time matters. Whole thing was insane. They have an IV which forces them to puke and she apparently puked a ton of chocolate and foil wrappers. Whole thing cost me 118 which I felt was a bargain as they treated her as “get her here  now”. 

What I learned is bakers or unsweetened chocolate is no joke. Semi sweet should also be taken seriously.   And size of dog matters.  I probably would have been ok not taking her but consider scarred but smarter. 

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 5
On 1/11/2019 at 12:25 AM, DeLurker said:

I haven't been here much since the format change but had extra time to mosey through it tonight.  I have 3 dogs, 2 never need their nails clipped, the other every daggoned  month.  And of course he's the one that I can't do myself.  Pet Smart groomers with nail grinders has had the best luck with him.....he likes the open area rather than the small room of the vets office.

• Love 2

I really had to refrain myself from adopting this little piece of fluff that I picked up out of a cat trap at my job the other day. Check out that ear floof! I ended up finding a rescue for him because if I saw him in a cage one more day, I would be breaking the 2 cat maximum on my lease, and my cats would be working themselves into a frenzy over their unwanted newest brother. This pic doesn't do justice to the fluffiness of his coat, but this is the best I could get as he was marching around and meowing orders at me.

50583677_10156966736079907_2050057997131972608_n.jpg

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 24
On 1/24/2019 at 9:59 AM, DeLurker said:

Anyone try toilet training their cats?  If so, are there any products that you would recommend?

When my cousin had cats she tried it.

Her recommendation is tequila, a lot of it...

• Love 9

Anyone try toilet training their cats?  If so, are there any products that you would recommend?

No idea if it works, but this was on Shark Tank:

CitiKitty

Edited by smeds
  • Love 1

Anyone try toilet training their cats?

Why do you feel this would be better than having them use a litterbox?  The only people I know who did this got the cats to use the toilet with less trouble than you'd think, but had to stop it because their two dogs were not dissuaded at all from drinking out of the toilet just because it had cat pee and shit in it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Why do you feel this would be better than having them use a litterbox? 

Primarily to get the dog to stop trying to eat the cat poop from the litter box.  I never thought about the dog going to the toilet to retrieve it, but Kook stays as far away from anyplace someone might try to bath him and my downstairs bathroom is really quite small.

• Love 1

I accidentally ran over and killed one of my favorite parking lot work cats, Tom, when I was leaving this evening. He must of been under my back tire as I did not see him in front of me and and did not feel anything. I just happened to look back and saw him not moving and bleeding. I am devastated--he was so funny and loving and deserved better. I am so angry at myself.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 3

FYI, in case anyone feeds this, Hill's has issued a voluntary recall of some canned dog food for excessive vitamin D content.  (The link is to the product list section of its website, which right now has the recall notice on top of it; if you come along later and just see the regular product list at that link, you may have to hunt the notice down.)

• Love 1

So, sing along! To the melody of "Riders in the Sky" (Jim Morrison/The Doors to show you how old I am):

Water from the sky....

it makes the kitties cry!

Water from the sky...

just singing to my poor Louis the cat because it is actually raining like mad here on the central Californian coast which happens not enough in the last few years but also means he can't go out and supervise the night creatures in the garden (mostly lizards which he finally learned not to eat).

• Love 4
On 1/27/2019 at 8:56 PM, AgentRXS said:

Fluff update: Here he is in his new home with his snowshoe housemate. The adorableness of it all is just too much!

50994971_10102645595347845_7891955548306800640_n.jpg

51165958_10102645597473585_1020552223156862976_n.jpg

Oh my gosh! That sweet kitty looks just like my Miss. Meowme! She was a Maine C***. I've posted here about losing both our cat and dog last year. They were 15 years old and passed away within weeks of each other. Lately I've been having a lot of dreams about our cat and after dinner tonight we decided to adopt a new kitty. I've been missing animal companionship something fierce. I'm not ready for another dog quite yet- his death hit me the hardest. The kids are at my parents house tonight so we plan on surprising them tomorrow with our new addition. 

IMG_8244.JPG

• Love 16