Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Cranberry

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

Recommended Posts

Lily finally has a date for radioactive iodine treatment, since we have now determined that she doesn't have a UTI.  She turns into Radioactive Cat on November 13, comes home from the hospital on November 17, and goes into quarantine downstairs for two weeks.  I decided that 20 minutes of me per day and confined to one room for two weeks was better than 20 minutes of strangers per day and confined to a cage.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Good luck on sticking to that limited exposure thing once she's home; I lasted one night of closing the bedroom door on poor, sad Baxter who slept on the floor in the hallway right on the other side of said door before saying screw it, and letting him radiate me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Fortunately the apartment below mine is empty, so I can keep her in a bedroom down there while the other cat lives on the second floor with me and the dog lives on the third floor with my landlady.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/30/2018 at 11:15 AM, DeLurker said:

This is my Mom's door 12 hours after he repaired it.  Her cat is 12 lbs.

 

 

screen.jpg

Heh. That cat is a home wrecker like my cat Luna and that girl I dated a couple years ago. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/30/2018 at 1:51 PM, isalicat said:

That looks just like the hawk that has taken up residency in my neighborhood, deemac! Do you know what kind of hawk that is? (to clear up any confusion, the hawk is entirely wild and free here - not being "kept" by anyone as a pet) And thanks for the pictures of your calico kitty, bilgistic - she looks very similar to my also very long haired calico girl, Kali, who made it all the way to 23 years old before her kidneys gave out and we had to let her go over the bridge. She was the sweetest cat I think I ever had but she totally kept my huge tom in line even though she was not even half his size.

No idea what kind of hawk.  I showed a pic on my cell phone (so small) to the people at a raptor exhibit at a state fair and the biggest guess with them was red shouldered hawk but it wasn't unanimous. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, deemac said:

I showed a pic on my cell phone (so small) to the people at a raptor exhibit at a state fair

I'm so jealous you got to see this live!

 

latest?cb=20150802202832

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Woke up to something new this morning - I was sleeping on my stomach and Catty Face decided that the perfect place for him to lie would be on my lower back & butt.  He was not thrilled when my need for coffee took priority over being his snuggle spot.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I love when one of the cats walks on my back and then sits down. It's like a mini-massage with a heating pad finish. If only I could train them to walk on my back for longer and knead the sore spots.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Riley sleeps on whatever part of me is creating the highest surface for her, so if I'm on my back she's on my chest, if I'm on my side she's on my hip, and if I'm on my front she's on my butt.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/9/2018 at 8:02 PM, Maharincess said:

I would like you all to meet Bunny, the newest member of the Maharincess family.  I went to the shelter with my daughter for her to adopt a cat and came home with her.  She is so Damn sweet I couldn't resist.  And with those ears, what else could I have named her? 

image2-1.jpg

I miss you Maharincess!

What a cutie pie! She looks part bunny, part doxie and mostly...loveable! You saved another one ?

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I haven’t been here in ages, I spent all yesterday afternoon catching up.  I wish I could upvote the whole dang thread!

For those of you that don’t frequent the Commercial Off-Topic thread, this is Shadow(aka the House Panther), whom I adopted from our local shelter in August, two weeks after losing China, my 14-year-old furbaby.(I wasn’t planning on adopting again so soon, but my mom, who volunteers at(and lives next to)the shelter thought she would be perfect for me.)

 

EDE8AA92-97BA-4637-9C92-0B007D67C2FD.jpeg

Edited by smittykins
  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

I haven’t been here in ages, I spent all yesterday afternoon catching up.  I wish I could upvote the whole dang thread!

For those of you that don’t frequent the Commercial Off-Topic thread, this is Shadow(aka the House Panther), whom I adopted from our local shelter in August, two weeks after losing China, my 14-year-old furbaby.(I wasn’t planning on adopting again so soon, but my mom, who volunteers at(and lives next to)the shelter thought she would be perfect for me.)

 

EDE8AA92-97BA-4637-9C92-0B007D67C2FD.jpeg

That photo is priceless! What a cutie! As we all know, there's always room in our hearts for one more. Sorry for the loss of China. :(

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

I haven’t been here in ages, I spent all yesterday afternoon catching up.  I wish I could upvote the whole dang thread!

For those of you that don’t frequent the Commercial Off-Topic thread, this is Shadow(aka the House Panther), whom I adopted from our local shelter in August, two weeks after losing China, my 14-year-old furbaby.(I wasn’t planning on adopting again so soon, but my mom, who volunteers at(and lives next to)the shelter thought she would be perfect for me.)

 

EDE8AA92-97BA-4637-9C92-0B007D67C2FD.jpeg

@smittykins - I am so very sorry for your loss.

No matter how deep our pain digs, there is always another animal to save us.

Shadow/ aka The House Panther, looks just like my first Boy.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

@smittykins - Sorry about China.  It is never easy to lose a member of our family.  House Panther is stunning! 

Growing up there was a neighborhood cat that did not belong to anyone.  I wouldn't call it feral because it was not spooked by people at all but he had a lot of battle scars.  Eventually my family unofficially adopted Alfred (named by my older brother) as an outside cat and he would come & go as he pleased.  We might not see him for 7 - 10 days, but then he would pop up again.  He literally looked like a miniature version of the Florida panther (back then, things got swampy about 10 miles west of where we lived), but black (Fl. panthers are usually fawn or buff), much bigger than your typical domestic cat and nothing but muscle.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

@smittykins - I am so very sorry for your loss.

No matter how deep our pain digs, there is always another animal to save us.

Shadow/ aka The House Panther, looks just like my first Boy.

And that is the whole truth! We think we're saving them (and we are) but they always end up saving us fom whatever we're going through: feeling hurt, alone, people don't get our love for animals, we didn't change our clothes today, we like to cuss! 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

And that is the whole truth! We think we're saving them (and we are) but they always end up saving us fom whatever we're going through: feeling hurt, alone, people don't get our love for animals, we didn't change our clothes today, we like to cuss! 

You are more right than you even know.  My last rescue kitten, the much beloved Babalu,  breathed  LIFE into my senior gentlemen, and eventually stood death watch with them all.  He was my sole comfort during the worst times of my life, including the most devastating loss of my soul-cat.  You think you only have one, but your heart has room for  a few more ...

Now he gets the Senior discount at the vet's office (along with the "multi cat" discount I've had since I had multi cats).  We are growing old together - but he needs shots & pills twice a day, and I do not.  He is my Everything.  And understands the WORST cusswords are terms of endearment.   ;-)

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

You are more right than you even know.  My last rescue kitten, the much beloved Babalu,  breathed  LIFE into my senior gentlemen, and eventually stood death watch with them all.  He was my sole comfort during the worst times of my life, including the most devastating loss of my soul-cat.  You think you only have one, but your heart has room for  a few more ...

Now he gets the Senior discount at the vet's office (along with the "multi cat" discount I've had since I had multi cats).  We are growing old together - but he needs shots & pills twice a day, and I do not.  He is my Everything.  And understands the WORST cusswords are terms of endearment.   ;-)

^^^^^^ Beautiful words from a beautiful person! True die-hard animal lovers are really, an army! 

I've not heard of a veterinarian offering a senior discount for a senior pet! That's f'n awesome!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

^^^^^^ Beautiful words from a beautiful person! True die-hard animal lovers are really, an army! 

I've not heard of a veterinarian offering a senior discount for a senior pet! That's f'n awesome!

Bitch fucking OWES me!  I started her practice, kept it afloat when I had too many cats and a paying J.O.B.  Her last baby is looking at college now, and my last cat is their most beloved senior.

My secret?  A true French bakery down the street - I bring pastries to delight & deflect, and I get the multi-cat/seniors/fruit tartelet discount.  ;=)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Bitch fucking OWES me!  I started her practice, kept it afloat when I had too many cats and a paying J.O.B.  Her last baby is looking at college now, and my last cat is their most beloved senior.

My secret?  A true French bakery down the street - I bring pastries to delight & deflect, and I get the multi-cat/seniors/fruit tartelet discount.  ;=)

You already won my heart with your deep compassion and love for all animals. But if you want to up the ante with pastry from an authentic French bakery....I'm in! Lol

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The mention of the bakery reminds me: I want to do something for the staff at my vet's office for the holidays. They were so thoughtful and compassionate with Kitty Gunderson the Elder (and us) that I'd like to say thank you. Any ideas? Last year I took them a bag full of holiday treats from Williams-Sonoma but wouldn't mind trying something different this year.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

You already won my heart with your deep compassion and love for all animals. But if you want to up the ante with pastry from an authentic French bakery....I'm in! Lol

 

8 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

The mention of the bakery reminds me: I want to do something for the staff at my vet's office for the holidays. They were so thoughtful and compassionate with Kitty Gunderson the Elder (and us) that I'd like to say thank you. Any ideas? Last year I took them a bag full of holiday treats from Williams-Sonoma but wouldn't mind trying something different this year.

Trust me - my vet techs know to schedule our appointments for a slow Friday afternoon, when I am more likely to stop at Le Rendez--Vous French Bakery.  I have turned my beloved Dr. Cecilia into a tart aux fruits addict.  ;-)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Many many years ago I had a vet give me discounts for multiple animals.

Now I just get worked in when there's not really any room and I've had several emergencies this year.  My vet is awesome, I wish he would be my doctor!  The other 2 in his practice I'm not too fond of though.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

The mention of the bakery reminds me: I want to do something for the staff at my vet's office for the holidays. They were so thoughtful and compassionate with Kitty Gunderson the Elder (and us) that I'd like to say thank you. Any ideas? Last year I took them a bag full of holiday treats from Williams-Sonoma but wouldn't mind trying something different this year.

Where I used to work, the brokers used to send us Harry & David gift boxes or towers around Christmas.  Good quality items, a nice variety of goodies from fresh fruit to some candy.  As an added bonus, easy to share among co-workers.  Depending on the size of the practice and your budget, this might work.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/5/2018 at 2:50 PM, MargeGunderson said:

The mention of the bakery reminds me: I want to do something for the staff at my vet's office for the holidays. They were so thoughtful and compassionate with Kitty Gunderson the Elder (and us) that I'd like to say thank you. Any ideas? Last year I took them a bag full of holiday treats from Williams-Sonoma but wouldn't mind trying something different this year.

 

On 11/6/2018 at 8:10 AM, DeLurker said:

Where I used to work, the brokers used to send us Harry & David gift boxes or towers around Christmas.  Good quality items, a nice variety of goodies from fresh fruit to some candy.  As an added bonus, easy to share among co-workers.  Depending on the size of the practice and your budget, this might work.

I send Harry and David to my parents when I find a good deal. Edible Arrangements is always a hit, too. I find Harry and David tends to have better deals than Edible Arrangements closer to the holidays.

Share this post


Link to post

Saturday afternoon we attended the Rural Hill Sheep Dog Trials and Festival.  They have a variety of activities involving dogs.  "Sheep Dog" doesn't mean the big, fluffy Old English Sheepdogs, but rather dogs that herd sheep - in the case of these trials, most were border collies.  In the trials, the dogs were required to move a group of three sheep down a large hill, through several gates, then separate one from the other two.

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_001-

They also had several demonstrations of agility, with Frisbee and other similar activities.  Here's an Aussie doing her thing.

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_009-

They also had a Punkin Chunkin demo, using a trebuchet to toss pumpkins.

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_018-

One of the more popular events was the Dock Dogs competition - dogs run down the dock then jump into a pool (the pool is 4 feet deep, and 2 feet below the level of the dock) chasing an object thrown by their owner, going for distance.  The longest distance I saw was close to 26 feet!

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_003-

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_004-

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_005-

The other competition involving the pool was the Extreme Vertical competition.  A foam "bumper" is suspended over the pool, 8 feet from the end of the dock and starting 4 1/2 feet above the level of the dock.  The dog runs down the dock, jumps and has to knock the bumper off - it is held in place with magnets, so the dog doesn't necessarily have to grab it, hitting it will usually knock it off.  The dogs go through in sequence, and once all have gone, the bumper is raised, and the cycle repeats.  Dogs are eliminated after two misses.  They were up over 6 feet when we left.  The world record is over 8 feet!

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_011-

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_012-

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_015-

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_013-

We didn't bring Denali, but the whole event is very dog-friendly and we got to see lots of little pups all over the place, like this very friendly Australian Shepherd named Darwin.

JM_2018_11_10_Rural_Hill_Dog_Trials_002-

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

Superb photographs @Moose135  I especially loved the ones where you caught the dog midair. Stunning. Sounds like a great day out. Better not tell Denali or he’ll be pouting the rest of the week for missing all the fun and friends. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I worked from home today. Kitties have been sleeping most of the day and instead of his normal pre-bedtime zombies the catcat is sleeping. Now taking bets on what time he decides it's time to play.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I worked from home today. Kitties have been sleeping most of the day and instead of his normal pre-bedtime zombies the catcat is sleeping. Now taking bets on what time he decides it's time to play.  

Thanks, auto-correct but CatCat doesn't have pre-bedtime zombies. He has pre-bedtime zoomies. And they slept through the night! They were so good that I overslept and woke up to two kitties curled up next to me.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Thanks, auto-correct but CatCat doesn't have pre-bedtime zombies. He has pre-bedtime zoomies. And they slept through the night! They were so good that I overslept and woke up to two kitties curled up next to me.

That is the most satisfying way to wake up ever. Good for you! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Little Mama has decided my crotchal area is the best, warmest place to lay now that it's cold. She lays on top of the covers. Little Girl is usually laying beside my right hip. So once we're in bed, there's no moving for me. I love cuddling with my girls, so I guess beggars can't be choosers. They just don't want to be spooners.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Catty Face has begun to push Kook's wayward tennis balls out from underneath the couch & chairs where they often end up (much to his dismay).  Catty Face occasionally bats at them to see what all the fuss is about, but the appeal of the tennis ball escapes him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The color and size differential reminds me so much of Girl Cat (she's big-boned...) and Grumpy Old Man Cat who was built on a smaller scale.

Today marks one year since he left us. He was so frail at the end, poor old boy. I miss him and look forward to meeting up in the afterlife so he can ignore me as he did in this one.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Little Mama on the right is kind of laying on Little Girl, but, yes, she is the bigger cat. She's about nine pounds; LG is seven and change. LM is stocky whereas LG is long and lean. Here's another recent photo that shows the difference a little better. Mama's on the right. It makes my heart burst when they "hug" each other!

IMG_20181109_212757_crop_755x832.thumb.jpg.f972604c69069bd5e0f667751b961a2b.jpg

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

@bilgistic My cats, although bigger than yours, look so much the same. Last night they sandwiched me in and I couldn’t even turn over or spread out at all and I agree totally...it’s a nightmare if I have to get up to use the bathroom. Still I wouldn’t trade them in for all the tea in China.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Sometimes when I return from the bathroom, Riley has so thoroughly moved into my vacated warm spot that I have to move my pillows to the other side of the bed and settle in there - at which point she promptly moves over to join me (she must be on me, pressed right up against me, or curled up between my legs at all times while we sleep, unless it's hot, at which point she sleeps up by my head and keeps a paw on my shoulder to make sure I don't get away).  So I often just nudge her out of the way, reclaim my spot, and she happily snuggles back in.

Maddie and Baxter both had to be touching me, too.  I loathe sharing a bed with another person even without them touching me (which they are not allowed to do - when it's time for sleep, get the hell away from me; I don't even want their nostril air touching me, let alone their physical body), but I am perfectly fine with clingy cats.  I must admit, though, I also enjoy sleeping with Bandit and Chester when I'm cat-sitting at my parents' house -- they cuddle with me, and then sleep in their own spots, only lightly touching me.  It is nice to be able to move so freely (I switch positions multiple times throughout the night).

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I loathe sharing a bed with another person even without them touching me (which they are not allowed to do - when it's time for sleep, get the hell away from me; I don't even want their nostril air touching me, let alone their physical body), but I am perfectly fine with clingy cats.

That is me.  Could not stand breathing in some other human's used air, much less having any part of their body touching me while I sleep, but the kitties can, and do, get away with everything.  Fortunately, they are my sole companions, and have been for many years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Lily comes home tomorrow morning.  She pretty much stopped eating as of Wednesday, because she hates the hospital so much.  She hasn't held grudges much, but if she's ever going to, I wouldn't blame her for doing it now.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I'm glad she's almost home!  Baxter did the same thing.  He also refused to pee, which was a problem, since they needed to test his urine to see how much of the radioactive iodine remained in his system; it had to get down to a certain level before he could be released.  He was quite the unhappy camper.  I could watch him on a webcam, and the poor guy hardly ever slept, either.  Here are a couple of webcam stills (notice the untouched bowl of the dry food I'd sent with him, since it was his favorite treat in the world):

 

Baxter in Quarantine 2.jpg

Baxter in Quarantine.jpg

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×