Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

Meet my (very) temporary foster, Amirah. Name chosen because she was definitely a princess in a past life. She went apeshit in her paperbox so I let her out and she jumped in the backseat and curled up as if she is used to being chauffeured. Then, at a red light, she came to the front and sat curled up in my lap as I drove. Never saw a kitten so used to a car before.

Ella and Diamond just stare at her and she is hissing and growling as if she can hold her own. She will be placed in the bathroom overnight, but for right now she is relaxing in the hoop portion of their cat tree (they never sit in it).  Poor lighting in my apartment but you can tell she is a diva. I included one of her in daytime lighting.

42526365_10156693172154907_3000666055103217664_n.jpg

42516201_10156693172189907_3412199234311553024_n.jpg

42532583_10156692958934907_385126844099198976_o.jpg

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 23
5 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Meet my (very) temporary foster, Amirah. Name chosen because she was definitely a princess in a past life. She went apeshit in her paperbox so I let her out and she jumped in the backseat and curled up as if she is used to being chauffeured. Then, at a red light, she came to the front and sat curled up in my lap as I drove. Never saw a kitten so used to a car before.

Ella and Diamond just stare at her and she is hissing and growling as if she can hold her own. She will be placed in the bathroom overnight, but for right now she is relaxing in the hoop portion of their cat tree (they never sit in it).  Poor lighting in my apartment but you can tell she is a diva. I included one of her in daytime lighting.

42526365_10156693172154907_3000666055103217664_n.jpg

42516201_10156693172189907_3412199234311553024_n.jpg

42532583_10156692958934907_385126844099198976_o.jpg

I want her.  I NEED her.  DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!  :-)

• Love 4
10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Never saw a kitten so used to a car before.

Sir Robin came home with me in a cardboard carrier and never made a sound.  He's actually really cool with driving, as soon as he figured out that getting in the car didn't mean going to adoption events or anything bad.  I don't let him sit in my lap, although he would very much like too, but he is free range in the car.  On shorter outings, he normally just settles into the back seat.  On longer ones, I fold down 1 panel of the back seat so the cargo area is bigger and bring his cat bed.  He snuggles down in it and Kook uses it to rest his head on too.

• Love 6

I wonder if the cat-cat would be more chill in the car if he wasn't in his carrier. He hates the carrier to the point of working himself into a tizzy and panting. I really thought he was going to [literally] die during my move flight because of how worked up he was, despite the kitty xanax. I have no idea how I'm going to bring him back to CA when (not if) I go back next year. The 8 or so hours of travel (to airport, preflight and post airport) is way less cruel than 4 days in a car. If he stayed in his harness I'd feel better about it but he hates that too. Poor little (big) guy had a hard life before me and panics, easily. 

• Love 3

@theredhead77 - My vet did suggest I try some Bonine (OTC motion sickness medication) for Sir Robin before I took him on a longer drive (driving from Houston to Ft Pierce, Fl - so 2 days of driving) since that was substantially longer in the car for him.  He's 10 lbs so I believe the dose was a 1/2 tab (I need to check my notes) about 30 - 45 minutes before we started the drive.   It made him sleepy and a bit drooly for a few hours but when it wore off, he wasn't anymore stressed than normal about being in the car (he's pretty chill) so I think I only gave him the Bonine once.

With my Mom's cat, we got her used to just being in the car first by parking it in the garage with the windows open and leaving a couple of attractive toys inside - catnipped filled ones or treats.  Cat got used to just hanging out in the car when it was in the garage.  Then we took her on relatively short rides - I would drive and Mom would hold her - usually on a blanket or towel that the cat liked to lounge on.

If you are thinking about giving it a try, I'd probably think about where you would keep a litter box.  When traveling I just use a plastic bin that fits into a banker's box.  Once we started the longer trip, my cat started to get a little antsy until he figured out I had planned ahead.  Once he had christened it, he relaxed substantially.

• Love 1

@DeLurker I'll ask the vet about Bonine as an alternative. The kitty xanax really didn't do much until we got to our new home and he was set free. Then he was "your drunk friend who has to yell all the things" for the next 12 hours.

I know my friend who helped me move here will help me move back and when it comes down to it, I'm certain I'll fly and torture them for 8 hours total rather than 4 days. I can't even take him the mile to the vet without him flipping out. Poor cat-cat. I need to go home and hug him now.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I can't even take him the mile to the vet without him flipping out.

That was Kook's issue - he associated getting into a car with something scary or bad, so he was going into passive resistant mode.  He got better when we started taking him for short outings where good things happened - a trip to the dog park (we usually just walk), over to my brother's to see his grand kids, to run an errand... - when he finally got the idea that going in the car did not mean something bad was going to happen, he got much more relaxed about it.  He still gives you the side-eye unless I happen to be bringing the cat with me too, but at least I am not hefting him into the back anymore.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

If you are thinking about giving it a try, I'd probably think about where you would keep a litter box.  When traveling I just use a plastic bin that fits into a banker's box.  Once we started the longer trip, my cat started to get a little antsy until he figured out I had planned ahead.  Once he had christened it, he relaxed substantially.

My first cat (who I had for 21 years) was okay about traveling. I used shoe boxes behind the drivers seat to accommodate her needs. She traveled for days this way. Even in a UHaul. I’d just need to use a new box each day and saved them up from friends and family. I like your idea of a plastic bin put into a bankers box. The two I have now “sing” (howl unhappily) when going anywhere.  

• Love 2

Oh @AgentRXS she is gorgeous!  I’ll pay the transport to get her to @walnutqueen  :)

To make a long story short Knox had traumatic experience getting her nails trimmed as a pup. She showed true aggression on subsequent time so is unable to get her nails trimmed like normal dogs do.

Ive paid for sedation throughout  and anytime she’s had to go under for surgical reasons request  to get them as small as possible while knocked out. 

Her left paw looks like Edward Scissorhands (right and rear ok- weird-this is an inside dog who goes on long walks on concrete daily ) and so I called Petsmart today and explained the above and they graciously agreed to try.  Well they muzzled her and she writhed and yanked so much she repeatedly was hitting her head against the bar they used to restrain her.   Out of concern she’d  hurt herself they aborted the mission. They were phenomenal and I have zero complaints there. 

Does anyone have any idea a place I could go or what I could do? The girl turned 9 and I hate sedation when it’s elective. And at this point while long it’s not physically hurting to walk but that day may come. Is sedation my only option?  

She is the sweetest, most non aggressive dog but she absolutely will go there with the nails. It’s not a “just feed her Boars head turkey and get it over”  kind of gig. If she were a person- she’d be in therapy from that trauma it seems. 

I  have googled this but thought maybe someone here might know a trick or place where their slogan is “we will get it done” haha. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I wonder if the cat-cat would be more chill in the car if he wasn't in his carrier.

Only one way to find out. :-)  I tend to think most of them either like or hate riding in the car, period, and carrier vs. no carrier isn't going to make all that much difference, but, then again, being able to choose your own location versus being stuck in a soft cage may very well have an effect on stress level.  My best friend's cat was very clear on the issue: In the car, free to roam, I love it.  In the car in a carrier, I will make you wish you were deaf.

Maddie and Baxter were okay in the car on the way to the vet, and incredibly happy in the car on the way home or when going someplace else, so I didn't make them get into their carriers until we arrived in the vet's parking lot.  Maddie always sat on my lap, and Baxter sat on the floorboard behind my seat on the way to the vet and all over the car - including in the back window - on the way home or going someplace else.  He practically waved at other drivers.

Riley I put in the carrier.  I don't think she'd be any less stressed without it, because she's just scared outside of our little bubble, period, and she's difficult to wrangle, so I do not want to be trying to drag her out from under the seat and into a carrier and have her bolt out of the car!  I guess I could take her for a practice drive around the neighborhood to see how she does without a carrier, but I think all that would do is scare her for no reason.

• Love 1

What a weird and momentarily frightening occurrence a few hours ago here.  I headed out through the backyard with a bag of recycling, and saw a cat on the wall dividing my yard from the neighbor's.  It was after dark and only one backyard light was on, so I had limited visibility, but the cat was Riley's size and general coloring.  Knowing Riley was inside, I said, "Hello, Kitty," and she/he jumped from the wall to the roof of my neighbor's garage and took off, but her/his jump was identical to Riley's distinctive jump.  She's particularly graceful, even for a cat, jumps higher than she needs to whenever going from one surface to another, and throws in a little flourish on the way, so she looks like a gymnast mounting the balance beam.  So did this cat! 

So I dropped the recycling bag and went immediately back inside to confirm Riley was there (of course she was, as I'd just seen her, but several of the windows to the backyard were open, and I have retractable screens, so if she wanted to get through them she easily could - which is why I paid out the ass for electricity her first year, because I wanted plenty of time to determine she wasn't a screen hazard before opening the windows and thus had to turn on the AC more than usual - so I needed to visually confirm in order to not freak my shit), and couldn't find her where I'd just seen her or in any of the usual spots!  It turned out she was under the office couch, which isn't at all common for her anymore (it was her safe space from day one) but does occasionally happen. 

Now I must wonder who this cat is.  I hate when people don't put a collar/tag on their cat when she or he will be at all outdoors.  (A microchip is great, but if they'll be outside and may thus wander from home, an ID tag is essential to readily identify the cat as owned.)  Well, first of all, this is coyote territory, so cats shouldn't be out after dark, period.  But when I see a cat while on my walk or have one pop up in my yard, I would like to know whether they're an owned cat doing her/his thing or a stray/abandoned cat I should grab some treats and try to capture for safety.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Assuming he's the tabby in the first few pictures, yes; I didn't know for sure that you'd listed their names in the same order as the pictures, so I didn't want to say Harry and have that be wrong, causing confusion.  So, the tabby who can't decide whether he wants to be striped or spotted.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Assuming he's the tabby in the first few pictures, yes; I didn't know for sure that you'd listed their names in the same order as the pictures, so I didn't want to say Harry and have that be wrong, causing confusion.  So, the tabby who can't decide whether he wants to be striped or spotted.

Your assumption is correct: that is Harry. And yes, the names are likewise ordered to the pictures (in order, that is). 

For some reason I'm suddenly thinking of A Far Side cartoon I saw once. It's set in a courtroom and an alligator is in the witness box saying "Of course I killed him in cold blood! I'm a reptile!"

• Love 10

We are saying goodbye to Kitty Gunderson the Elder on Monday. She's let us know it's time. We're spending the weekend spoiling her with favorite foods and most importantly, lots of snuggles. She and I got an early start on her weekend at 2:45am with cuddles and being held like a baby (complete with being wrapped up in a blanket; I swear she would like being swaddled) until 5:00 when I had to start getting ready for work. I'm incredibly sad but once we made the decision it was a bit of a relief, and we haven't been seconding guessing ourselves. She will go at home with us. 

Thank you for all of your kind words and best wishes for her over the last year when she has been sick. I'm grateful to have a terrific community where I can share pictures and stories and see/read the same from other owned-by-pet(s) people. I'd like to think that all of our beloved pets who have crossed the rainbow bridge are playing together while they wait for us to join them.

• Love 14

@MargeGunderson, my heart goes out to you. We send purrs and headbonks.

Having a vet come to my home for Bilgisticat's end-of-life care was worlds better for me than going to the vet, which I did with my late girl cat. I had to do that with her under the circumstances, though. I was able to "plan" with Bilgisticat because of his prolonged illnesses. The house call vet was wonderful--so empathetic and gentle.

Have a beautiful, love-filled weekend with your sweet girl. Take good care of yourself, too.

• Love 11

Oh @MargeGunderson I am so sorry to read your news about Kitty Gunderson the Elder.  She has had a wonderful life and the love you give her is so apparent in your posts.  As others have said this is never an easy decision and I know the care you took in making it.  I am so glad you have this weekend together to make even more wonderful memories to hold in your heart until you are together again.

Shana and I send love and prayers to you both and to the Younger too.  

And Shlamey and Bilgisticat and everyone else's pets who have crossed the bridge will be waiting on the Elder and welcome her with joy and love and take very good care of her.

We are all here for you through this.

• Love 9

The birds are all in a tizzy this morning because I replaced one of the open sided seed feeders--it has a ring perch around it--with a caged one tube feeder with 4 perches. I hope the black capped chickadee that's been hanging around won't be put off by the caged tube but there's an open feeder close by it can use. I don't mind the grackles and mourning doves but they tilt the feeders and scare off the smaller birds.

I also replaced the thistle feeder with one that supposedly deters sparrows, in an effort to lure back the goldfinches the sparrows drove off. The starlings, cowbirds, and brown thrashers have moved on, at least for now. I wish they'd taken the sparrows with them. A couple of times I've gone out to sit on the steps just to get the sparrows to leave so the other small birds, who don't seem to mind me, could have a chance. 

Maybe I should change the time of day I refill the feeders and do it in the evening? The carolina wren, chickadee, downie, cardinal, and titmouse seem to show up either at the end of the day or very early in the morning, even before 6:30 when I usually fill the feeders,

This riveting account of bird feeder brought to you by Boredom & Stress. Boredom & Stress, we're always waiting for you.

ETA: Girl cat's digestive system has been acting up. She goes from constipated to really, really not (not diarrhea, just mushy and I've had to wipe down her butt a couple of times). Sorry, should I have spoilered that? I'm trying to figure out a new balance for the miralax and in the meantime washing a lot of shirts and sheets. Poor stinky cat.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 5

@ABay - would giving her some pumpkin help?  Sorry if this is a retread of previously covered topic.  When I was looking into something to help with fur balls, there were lots of articles about it for helping with the whole array of digestive ailments.  I just go with Gerber 2nd as it is the only brand I can consistently find and is often on sale.  And some white vinegar to your wash of those shirts & sheets - it'll help.

• Love 5

We said goodbye to Kitty Gunderson the Elder about an hour ago. We had all weekend with her, which was nice. She was feeling good most of the time, but had bouts of being uncomfortable/incontinent every afternoon and again in the early morning. She got several cans of Fancy Feast, a large spoonful of sour cream (ate off the spoon, her favorite), and smoked salmon for breakfast. I slept on the couch with her for the last three nights so we had extra cuddle time. We watched the Patriots together, which was her favorite Sunday activity. The vet was great, and she went very peacefully - actually, she was snoring. 

Here’s a picture of her from this weekend. The weather was nice so the window was open, and she managed to climb on to the end table to sit in the sun.

E305D600-0078-4D1C-A94F-12F0EAAB913D.jpeg

• Love 18

@MargeGunderson I am so sorry. I've been through that once before and sometime in the near future I'm also going to have to say goodbye to a friend, my 21-year-old cat girl. I'm storing up good recent memories to help me when it's time. I hope your own memories of her long and happy life help you now. Be well and remember her.

• Love 7

@MargeGunderson I am glad it was a peaceful passing and that you had such a lovely weekend together.

I hope you and your family and the Younger are coping ok or as well as can be expected.

I stole the below from another thread, but, it was posted to me, so I think that is ok.

image.png.1c6c81bdad6892f731aa70109a67d45a.png

11 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

sometime in the near future I'm also going to have to say goodbye to a friend, my 21-year-old cat girl. I'm storing up good recent memories to help me when it's time. I hope your own memories of her long and happy life help you now. Be well and remember her.

@CoderLady I am so sorry you are facing this.

• Love 8