Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

Aw! Tai is super cute!  Buddha probably wanted to pet her, he was just held back by the "being currently made of stone" thing. 

Your Airedales were beautiful, Mazie! They have such bright expressions :-) 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

My SIL's golden-lab mix takes the tomatoes off their plants.  She'll carry it around in her mouth for hours before eventually eating it.  She's taught the other dogs in the household to do the same so my brother keeps trying to make dog proof cages, but to no avail.

Last spring she (the pooch) started to do the same thing with their peppers.

Oh boy... My Golden (you can see her pictures back on page 1) would get into my garden and gently pick off a nice ripe tomato to eat whenever I did something like leave the gate unhinged.  She also might snack on the cherry tomatoes given the chance.  This really wasn't a big deal until Danny the Labrador saw what she was doing and pretty much ate ALL of the ripe tomatoes. He left a few bite marks on the unripe ones, so I can see that he was testing them.  Danny is also pictured back at the bottom of page 1. 

And unlike the deer, or groundhogs, or other pests, Danny is freaking smart and has been much harder to keep out of the garden.  He doesn't wait for the gate to be open. He actively looks for / creates his own entrances.  Last year I finally fully Danny proofed it, but it took a lot of effort and solid bracing to keep the big lug out of there.

• Love 5

Thanks - Tai is pretty awesome, unfortunately she doesn't drive, like Maizie131's cuties do.  What a great pic of them!

would get into my garden and gently pick off a nice ripe tomato to eat whenever I did something like leave the gate unhinged.

Ha - this made me laugh - Tai will gently pick a nice toy off the rack at Petco- she is a shoplifter for sure.

• Love 5

Ah yes, the shoplifter move... "If I pick it up really quietly and slowly, nobody will notice"

Even my Labrador, who is more of a smash and grab kind of guy knows that move.  He does it when the cat leaves a couple of cat snacks on the ground for a little too long. He does the walk by, look innocent like he's just sniffing around not doing anything, and then as he walks back he licks up all of the snacks and then keeps walking like nothing happened.  Heh.

• Love 4

Puddles really doesn't get into anything, pretty much ever.  Unless it is the foulest smelling pile of mystery gunk known to god or man, then she will auger into the stuff like a guided-gross-missile.  She'll be so happy the entire time she's doing it too and she's so smart that she knows it will mean a bath when we get home, yet she cannot stop herself.

Whereas we can literally leave her food bag open, on the ground where she can get it and she won't dive in (despite being the most food motivated dog in all of creation) , she cannot resist the lure of redolent decay with just a hint of excrement and the promise of a skunk yet-to-be-born.  

Then for a dog who wasn't apparently trained to do anything until he was at least two, Oscar is remarkably good too.  He learned the "no counter surfing" rule (which is good, because his head is counter-top level) easily, but all bets are off when we put something that smells of peanut butter in the trash.  

The other night I heard something that sounded a bit like an elephant was rearranging the furniture.  It probably says something that my husband was in one room,  I was in another and for about two minutes neither of us reacted because we just assumed the other was doing something outrageously loud and potentially dangerous and both figured, "Huh, I wonder what he/she is doing?"  then only when it went on for too long and in too ungainly a manner did it occur to either of us that "I should check that out" (thank goodness it wasn't some Machete Posse come to call, I guess) ....and we found Oscar carrying our entire kitchen garbage can down the hall, presumably towards his crate -- he's fed in a crate to keep Pud (world's most food motivated dog) from attempting to steal his dinner.  

There were peanut butter filled chocolate cupcakes that had been tossed in there.   We were trying so hard not to laugh as we corrected him and took the trash back.  But I just love that his thought process apparently ran towards, "I know I'm not supposed to....but maybe if I take it to the eating place, it will be okay....?"  

• Love 3

Am petless currently, but I used to have a wonderful yellow lab. She was "my" dog and made that clear to my husband at the time. She would play fetch with a tennis ball or frisbee with me for as long as I was willing, but she never would for him. He would throw, she would go and get it and carry away to find a comfy spot to lie down. She didn't chew up stuff for the most part, but the few times she did it was his stuff - pricey sunglasses, sneakers, a book he was reading.

She was a good judge of character. I wish I had caught on as quickly as her.

• Love 3

OMG, riley702, I can't believe that person even wanted a pet to start with.  I know a lot of people look at pets (or animals) as things, but I'll never understand it. 

harrie - how right you are (why some people even want a pet).  Would you believe that our sweet, amazing Maizie was a "free to a good home" puppy?  Hard to believe looking at her, right?  Well, would you believe the family we "rescued" her from traveled to a very reputable Goldendoodle kennel in Canada (we live in Michigan)....paid $2,700.00 for her, bought all the "bells and whistles" for her (crate, toys, etc. etc.), and they had NEVER owned a DOG BEFORE?  They had 3 teenage kids, 2 of whom were leaving for U of M for school 2 months after they got her, leaving one teen at home.  They were no help to their mom taking care of this puppy with a TON of energy, and Maizie apparently wore her out.  She "had to walk her every day and night after work" (how horrible), Maizie got into her much-beloved garden (oh the horror) and it was just not what she & her husband expected it to be.  So they put out a "global" email on the U of M website, and a friend forwarded it to us.  They received tons of requests for her, but we won!  It wasn't easy, tho.  It was 2 solid weeks of emailing back & forth -- dozens of questions for us about our prior dog experiences, etc.    Mind you, these were VERY intelligent, upper-middle class people -- they just decided they weren't "dog" people. 

When we went to pick her up, I said to Bruce (my significant other), "Do we know when her birthday is?"  He said no - we only knew she was 7 mos. old.  I said, "Wow...wouldn't it be something if it was the same as Lady's?!"  (Lady was Bruce's Golden who died of cancer 5 years prior -- I badgered him for 5 years to get another dog & he refused (couldn't take the heartache of losing another dog...he was DEVASTATED when she died) until he saw the picture of Maizie.)  Maizie's Birthday is January 31st -- same day as Lady's.  She was meant for us.

Edited by Maizie131
  • Love 3

Holy crow, Maizie, that is indeed fateful, I believe.  

I'm glad they were careful about who they gave her away to for both your sake and hers, but it's amazing that they managed to have children and never catch on that there's a lot of work that goes into keep living beings a going concern.  However, since it sounds like they were as responsible as they could be having made that decision, I can't blame them too much.  Turned out best for her :-) 

Still, it's always odd when people are so amazed that puppies are a ton of work and have actual needs.  

Ha, DeLurker, I'm sorry the guy turned out to be a dud, but it sounds like your dog was a wonderful one.  

• Love 2

I've been blasted before because while i like some dogs alright, I know I wouldn't want one unless I had a yard and a child or husband who wanted the dog. And, even then, one would be enough, and I might have some real adjusting to do to deal with dog smells and dirty paws.

But, my thing is...I don't hate dogs and why would I get one if I knew there is a very real possibility I'd get really annoyed and possibly miserable? My cousin recently bought a very, very *quiet* and well-behaved little gray yorkiepoo who never tried to lick my face. I really liked the dog. But, I have a cat. He'd be mortally offended, and I just don't want to walk a block and a half in all weather to take a dog to the restroom.

I hate feeling like I have to justify it.

My cat on the other hand is very emotionally needy and if we were transported to another world where I had to take him out to the bathroom, I would because I love him.

But, my cat is enough pet right now.

Does that make me heartless and lazy? I hope not :/

• Love 3

Wow, Maizie - Maizie was very lucky to end up with you. I'm glad her first parents did some due diligence in placing her, but it's strange that they didn't appear to do any before spending a boatload of money.  

We have to walk our dog because we live in a condo (but we have some good grassy spaces and a dog park 1/4 mile away), but each time we've lost a dog, we've taken in a new one sooner than we had plans to.  One of the main reasons is that we missed walking the dog.  We tried just walking without a dog but it wasn't as much fun.  So, the horrific aspect of dog walking is relatively unknown to me, even with a bunch of snow on the ground. 

DeLurker, I love your lab story!

betweenyouandme, at least you know you're not dog material.  Or not dog material right now.  That's not heartless or lazy, it's smart and self-aware.

• Love 2

Maizie, it's obvious that you and Maizie were meant to be.  I was glad to read her previous owners were so diligent about finding her a home.  Maybe they thought their one teen at home would help more, maybe they fell in love with her and didn't really think that dogs are work - their loss was your (and Maizie's!) gain.

It is true that people don't research breeds.  Cairn terriers like Tai are cute as buttons but like most terriers, extremely stubborn and pushy and usually have strong personalities.  People need to really check into personality traits and assess their own lifestyles before bringing a dog home.

So Betweenyouandme, I agree with harrie that you are smart and self-aware to know you're not dog-ready. You may decide though you love dogs you don't want one at home and there's nothing wrong with that.  I've only lived with two cats (my ex's) and though I enjoyed them very much, I'm not really a cat person.  Don't stone me, LOL!  The first cat was older and eventually became ill and passed on, my ex started spending time at a local cat shelter and just came home with one.  This cat was lots of fun and it was hilarious the way he would run up to my ex and wrap his front legs around his leg; the cat would actually do this to Tai, jump at her, wrap his legs around her and run away (no claws or anything).  It was really funny.  We came home one time to find the frozen foods scattered, Tai eating frozen pepperoni and the cat looking pretty satisfied.  He jumped on the fridge and knocked the freezer door open (thankfully did not get stuck inside or anything) and knocked things out - frozen turkey in the bedroom.  LOL!!  Believe me, we were extra careful about we closed the door after that.  I still do it now and don't have a cat.

We ended up keeping a dog found wandering when we contacted  his owners who didn't want him, so ended up with two dogs and a cat who all got along.  When we broke up he kept "his" dog and the cat.  I do miss the extra four legged family members but I don't think I would ever bring a cat home.  I just can't with a litter box.  The few times I had to clean it (my ex would do it and he was very diligent) I thought I would hurl right into it.  

So my long-winded point is that though I found out I like cats, even when one sits right on my keyboard while typing, I know my current tolerances.  Nothing wrong with that!

Edited by raven
  • Love 4

Definitely a cat person here. I like playing with my SIL's dog, Daisy, but I always tell her to keep her tongue to herself, please! Can't stand being licked or jumped on, which I realize is random as I don't mind the cats licking me or even sleeping on me. I'm not fond of scooping the litter-box, either, so I sprung for a Litter Robot that self-scoops. I just toss in a scoop of new litter every few days and change the bag in the drawer underneath once a week for two cats. And there are seals and filters to keep the smell confined to the drawer, so I think it's worth it.

• Love 3

Holy crow, Maizie, that is indeed fateful, I believe.  

I'm glad they were careful about who they gave her away to for both your sake and hers, but it's amazing that they managed to have children and never catch on that there's a lot of work that goes into keep living beings a going concern.  However, since it sounds like they were as responsible as they could be having made that decision, I can't blame them too much.  Turned out best for her :-) 

Still, it's always odd when people are so amazed that puppies are a ton of work and have actual needs.  

Ha, DeLurker, I'm sorry the guy turned out to be a dud, but it sounds like your dog was a wonderful one.  

Stillshimpy - Yes, it definitely was meant to be, and those people absolutely did quite a "vetting" job of all applications they received for Maizie.  They even called OUR NEIGHBORS we put down for references!  Our neighbors said, "If Maizie is given to Bruce & Mary Jo, please believe us when we say that she has hit the "Doggy Jackpot!"  haha!  (But it's true!)  I do feel real sorry for the mom, tho -- it's obvious she had HORRIBLE guilt feelings over the whole thing, and even asked if we would send pictures of Maizie to her a couple times a year, which we have. 

Believe me when I say I understand her guilt, because I, too, had to "surrender" a MUCH-loved Airedale I bought from a breeder as a puppy to Airedale Rescue when she was 4 y.o.  She just could not get along with other dogs -- ANY other dogs!  People?  NO problem.  She slept at the foot of my bed every night, but she would literally ATTACK our other dogs (sweet Lady & Killian).  It was heartbreaking.  My good friend @ Airedale Rescue said Kasey could go to "boot camp" for 2 months ($2,500.00), and there still was no guarantees.  I had to give her up.  Thank GOD they found a WONDERFUL home for her on the other side of the State, and to this day, her owners and I still email each other.  Kasey lived with them until they had to put her down (cancer) @ 11 y.o.  I can still cry over that dog. 

I had NO idea you were so active in rescue!  I seriously don't know how you do it.  Just today I finally got the chance to read through this entire website, and the stories are just so wonderful, but if I start reading about any abuse, I've gotta skip over it.  My heart just can't take it.  I tried to volunteer for the Michigan Humane Society years ago, but they make you watch a video of everything they do for animals, and I ran out of the room crying when they showed the abuse.  They said I wasn't emotionally capable of handling it, & I agreed whole-heartedly & left.  YOU, my dear lady, are truly a SAINT!!! 

Edited by Maizie131
  • Love 2

I've been blasted before because while i like some dogs alright, I know I wouldn't want one unless I had a yard and a child or husband who wanted the dog. And, even then, one would be enough, and I might have some real adjusting to do to deal with dog smells and dirty paws.

I hate feeling like I have to justify it.

My cat on the other hand is very emotionally needy and if we were transported to another world where I had to take him out to the bathroom, I would because I love him.

But, my cat is enough pet right now.

Betweenyouandme - I feel real bad -- I certainly did not mean to offend you, and as harrie & raven said above, just because you're not ready for a dog (and may never be) and love your cat -- that does NOT mean you're heartless or lazy!!!  A couple of my best friends have kitties, and even thought I'm personally not a cat person, those cats LOVE me!  haha!  Go figure!  I really admire people who have both.  Anyhow, I apologize, and YOU must QUIT APOLOGIZING!  You have nothing to apologize for! 

• Love 3

Oops -- above I wrote that today I read through this entire website!  WOW -- that would take me about 2 months solid!  What I meant was this particular forum!  I'm an animal lover -- not a speed-reader.  But you guys know what I meant, right?  ha!

• Love 2

Thanks, Mazie, I'll inform my husband of my sainthood.  When he quits laughing uproariously and without pause for periods extending up to and into the next decade, I will let you know what he said ;-)  

Seriously, thank you.  We do what we can and I wish it could be a lot more. I'm not good with cases of neglect or cruelty, but I know a young woman out here who is amazing.  I get upset and can't function, she is just made of the most stalwart stuff.  It's a good community to become involved with simply because the very stuff that will rob you of your faith in people, there are other people standing in direct contrast to that.  It adds balm to the soul and all that.  

So my long-winded point is that though I found out I like cats, even when one sits right on my keyboard while typing, I know my current tolerances.  Nothing wrong with that!

That's exactly it.  If someone doesn't want pets, for any reason, or prefers cats to dogs, that's cool.  No one has to justify anything to anyone else.  Do what you feel most comfortable with and if someone gets in over their head, there are responsible ways to handle that.   It's kind of like having kids: If you don't want them, then don't have them and it will all be fine.   

Maizie, the people who had Maizie did absolutely everything they could do.  Sometimes animals have to be rehomed.  People get sick, people find themselves in over their heads on a lot of levels.  It can happen.  One of the sites I work with in MO is for re-homing, the truth is stuff happens some times and it's much better to encourage people to reach out for resources, so that they don't have to feel bad and the animal in question ends up with the best home they can have.  

I had a very brief foster dog, who I had to take back to Stray Rescue because she kept attacking Puddles. I felt terrible about that even though she was only supposed to be a foster, and then it actually turned out that the dog in question needed to be in an only-dog situation. She had been adopted and returned, then fostered to me the day after she was returned, so unfortunately they just hadn't had enough to realize that she was not okay with other dogs. So it turned out to be the right call all around.   That really can happen to anybody, where with the absolute best of intentions, sometimes a dog is not a match for a particular home.  RescueMom had something similar happen too, I think.

• Love 2

Nope it seems like it makes you a responsible caretaker - having a pet is a commitment.  And not all dogs (or cats) are created equal - even among purebreds, there is a wide array of personalities.  So a dog type known for intelligience and obedience might just be a ditz.  And the one that is supposed to be aloof and independent might end up being a needy velcro dog.

My brother and his wife are not pet people.  They've had them when their kids were younger and the pets were well cared for, but they did not get emotionally invested in the pets and the pets didn't get overly attached to them either.  I ended up adopting their ancient cat who after a while thawed and ended up sleeping on my bed and following me around like a dog.  But my brother and his wife are wonderful people - extremely intelligent, hard working, willing to help out without being asked, etc...one of my other brothers has a lifelong history of dumbass decisions, financial recklessness, self-created problems (all this despite being one of the most intelligent people I have ever met), etc...but he would go without necessary medicine or food to ensure his dogs and cats were taken care of.  Come to think of it, him and his wife would both be willing to make sacrifices for their pets before they would for their own daughter.

I love reading posts about how people ended up with their pets or how their kooky cat or dog somehow brightens their day.

• Love 2

Thank you everyone.

I've given it more thought, and I think another reason dogs make me pause is that so many get in a person's face before the person is acclimated. I like to pet animals on the head, but I get scared if they jump on me before I get to know them. Of course, lots of dogs are slower or calmer or trained to sit, but until I know that, I get very tense.

In fact, I'll tell the reason I got my little tuxedo. I'd just gotten out of my first in-patient for anorexia. My psychologist told my mom that it might help if I got a pet. So, we went to Petsmart on a day where they had the Humane Society in town being most all of their animals. I was looking and saw a woman holding him. He was on his back in her hand, letting her rub his stomach. I asked her if she was going to adopt him. She said no, and I said," well, I am." I gathered him up, and to this day, when I'm lying on the couch, he lays on his back between me and the sofa with his head against my boob and armpit with my hand on his belly. He's an absolutely clinger of a cat, and I love him with all of my heart. I'm so happy to be pregnant bc I've always prayed and prayed that I could have a child before he passes away.

• Love 4

Thank you everyone.

I've given it more thought, and I think another reason dogs make me pause is that so many get in a person's face before the person is acclimated. I like to pet animals on the head, but I get scared if they jump on me before I get to know them. Of course, lots of dogs are slower or calmer or trained to sit, but until I know that, I get very tense.

In fact, I'll tell the reason I got my little tuxedo. I'd just gotten out of my first in-patient for anorexia. My psychologist told my mom that it might help if I got a pet. So, we went to Petsmart on a day where they had the Humane Society in town being most all of their animals. I was looking and saw a woman holding him. He was on his back in her hand, letting her rub his stomach. I asked her if she was going to adopt him. She said no, and I said," well, I am." I gathered him up, and to this day, when I'm lying on the couch, he lays on his back between me and the sofa with his head against my boob and armpit with my hand on his belly. He's an absolutely clinger of a cat, and I love him with all of my heart. I'm so happy to be pregnant bc I've always prayed and prayed that I could have a child before he passes away.

Betweenyouandme - What a sweet post!  First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy!!  Is this your first?  Do you know gender or do you want to be surprised?

Second, you did a great job getting your little Tuxedo -- he sure sounds like a really sweet kitty and he's very lucky to have you.  

• Love 2

Hi, thanks! It's still really early. I'm only 7.5 weeks now, so I'm still nervous things might not work out. I can't wait to find out if it's a boy or girl when the time comes. I feel like it's going to be a girl, but I don't know. He/she will be my first. I've never been pregnant before. I hope if things work out, my cat will adjust okay. He's old and not into sharing attention or meeting other people, though he does like my dad.

Congratulations, betweenyouandme, I had seen your posts in the All About Unhappiness thread,  I hope things are going better for you.  

raven, I somehow missed this before:

We ended up keeping a dog found wandering when we contacted  his owners who didn't want him, so ended up with two dogs and a cat who all got along.  When we broke up he kept "his" dog and the cat.  I do miss the extra four legged family members but I don't think I would ever bring a cat home.  I just can't with a litter box.  The few times I had to clean it (my ex would do it and he was very diligent) I thought I would hurl right into it.

Boy that must have been an awkward phone call, but thanks for keeping him.  Poor guy, sounds like he was out looking for better people.  

Don't feel weird about the whole "nope, I have my limits", I think most people do and it's only really a problem when people find that out AFTER they have an animal in their home. Though I can take care of them, cleaning up after birds is the one that makes me queasy.   I have a friend who routinely duck sits and it cracks me up every time, because apparently duck sitting mainly involves trying not to slip on duck poo.   

Earlier we were talking about the woman who said "C'mon, it's not that bad" and it made me remember a woman I know who had a cat have a litter of kittens on her front porch, and since she loves cats, she adopted the mother (had her spayed, thank goodness) and then set about finding homes for the kittens.  She had a young couple show up and spend a fair amount of time cooing and awing over a kitten and then saying it would be a perfect replacement for ________ (their previous cat)....who had apparently been killed by their Huskie (which can happen with sight hounds actually).   

Needless to say she did not allow them to adopt the kitten, but that might actually win in some kind of "It's not that bad" "Oh hell yes it's that bad, it's actually worse!" kind of Olympics for irresponsible pet ownership.   

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

We were talking earlier about pets with that intense gaze that makes you think you're looking at a person instead of an animal. Swiffer finally cooperated yesterday and I got this nice shot. Her lighter-colored ruff shows up nicely here too. :)0224151726d_zpsczytas7j.jpg

• Love 3

She is so beautiful!  She does have one of those startling gazes, where you think she's likely doing some complicated equation about the  mass and force required to crush the Earthlings.  It's spell binding how alien and involved those kind of cats look.  

Then you give them a crumpled ball of tinfoil and watch them chase it for seven hours straight and the spell is broken ;-)  

Seriously though I do know exactly what you mean and Swiffer is clearly one of those cats.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

Then you give them a crumpled ball of tinfoil and watch them chase it for seven hours straight and the spell is broken ;-)  

Or see her stroll casually through the living room with a turd stuck on her tail... LOL

• Love 1

How do you post a picture? You have to upload it on a picture sharing site first?

BYAM - stillshimpy is the EXPERT at this!  She helped put the picture of my Maizie on!  I'm sure she's busy, but when she gets a chance I'm sure she'll help you.  Right, stillshimpy?  haha!  (sorry...but it's true!)  :) 

• Love 1

I have a photobucket account I use for uploading pictures, but there are others you can use.

Swiffer is a complicated kitty. She spent her formative weeks in a cage (born in a shelter), and has this need to be dominant and in control at all times. But when I can get her to let her guard down and snuggle with me, she purrs so loud and so hard, she literally drools on me. So bossy and vulnerable at the same time. That look in her eyes is exactly why I wasn't about to leave her in the shelter. I just couldn't.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

We were talking earlier about pets with that intense gaze that makes you think you're looking at a person instead of an animal. 

Funny you mention that look, riley702.  When we got Clyde, we had gone to the local animal shelter to look at another cat, the porch tiger. The cat branch of the shelter had taken in 39 cats an elderly woman had been trying to care for, until she broker her hip. There was a wild thunderstorm going on while we were being given the tour of cats, and this one cat - not the porch tiger -  just stared steadily at us as he sat in his litter box. (We don't know why, it's something he does.)  

When I said we might be interested in the long-haired tuxedo, the volunteer looked at me like I was crazy; probably because in the preliminary calls, I'd said we were looking for a short-hair, probably female, semi-playful kind of young to middle-aged cat to keep one of ours company (we had one young and one very old cat at the time).  

We stuck to our guns and took Clyde home -- largely because of that hypnotic gaze.  Our younger cat rejected him, but she probably would have rejected any new cat, and her best friend always remained our dog(s).  The sort of funny thing is, years later, I told my husband about the time Clyde picked us out, and the hub said "No, he was staring at me. I picked him out."  

So, bottom line: Its seems that Clyde picked us.  And he's never used that look again, except maybe when we don't get up at 5:30am sharp to feed him. 

• Love 2

I've read that cats can alter their meows and purrs to make us more likely to respond to them, so why not a soulful, "get me OUT of here!" stare? And once they sucker-punch you with that look, it's impossible not to respond, isn't it?

Apropos of nothing, have any of you ever had a cat with a hyper-flexible tail? Swiffer's tail is a sight to behold. I've seen her carry it coiled forward against her flank while walking, and when she's really happy, that thing corkscrews around in constant motion. It just seems way more "bendy" than any other cat I've had. It's not kinked or stiff - she's perfectly capable of straightening it out. 

• Love 1

Sorry, sorry I wasn't around!  Beautiful cat, BYAM and yes I would have been glad to help, I was just running around like a maniac yesterday :-) Glad you got it figured out.  

By the way, there is a Questions subforum here that has instructions on how to do pretty much anything here :-) Linkage to the many and varied questions that have an answer!  If it is knowledge you seek Go Here.

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

My cat knows the word "sick." Whenever I don't feel well, no matter if my cat is yowling or annoyed at me, all I have to do is say, "I'm siiiiiiiick." He comes and lays down right by me and purrs. He does the same if I cry. Im careful to never do it when I'm not really sick. I think he could sense the manipulation and never trust me again. Ha.

• Love 2

I don't want to lose their trust, either. So I never "trick" them into coming to me when I want to put them in a carrier. I never offer them a toy or treat just so I can pick them up to clip their claws, etc. Those shouldn't have ulterior motives. God forbid the house would be on fire and they run from me because I'd tricked them in the past.

Edited by riley702
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1