Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

VMepicgrl - Lilly is adorable.  What kind(s) of dog is she?  I've always liked bigger dogs - mutts and retriever type dogs, but have started to getthe appeal of some of the little balls of cute!

I'm not sure what she is. She is definitely a mix of some sort. I've been thinking of doing one of the DNA tests out of curiosity and to find out any medical issues common in whatever breeds she is. It has been fun not knowing as well, though. Everyone seems to have a theory and sees their dog in her. My theory is maybe yorkie/schnauzer/dachshund. I've always liked the little, cute dogs that look like a puppy even as adults. However, I do like large dogs as well. One of my co-workers got a puppy last year who is going to stay small. She and her husband already had a large, older dog. The husband didn't expect to care so much for the little dog, but he loves her now. She apparently just gets up to silly antics that make them laugh all the time. My dog is the same way. I know all dogs can be silly, but there's just something about the little ones.

• Love 2

I'm not sure what she is. She is definitely a mix of some sort. I've been thinking of doing one of the DNA tests out of curiosity and to find out any medical issues common in whatever breeds she is. It has been fun not knowing as well, though. Everyone seems to have a theory and sees their dog in her. My theory is maybe yorkie/schnauzer/dachshund. I've always liked the little, cute dogs that look like a puppy even as adults. However, I do like large dogs as well. One of my co-workers got a puppy last year who is going to stay small. She and her husband already had a large, older dog. The husband didn't expect to care so much for the little dog, but he loves her now. She apparently just gets up to silly antics that make them laugh all the time. My dog is the same way. I know all dogs can be silly, but there's just something about the little ones.

I kind of see Yorkie and maybe Maltese - she's got the sweetest face!  

• Love 3

(This post is actually from Maharincess:) 

lzKENdZ.jpg

I only have one picture for now that I took on my back deck when they got home re yesterday. I'll take more soon. They each have one ear that stands up and one that flops over. They must not have been too happy at their former home because they've sure settled in here fast. They don't seem upset or like they are missing anybody.  They are so sweet but they are terrified of my cat. I'm not sure they've ever seen a cat before.

(They're adorable, Maharincess.  Congratulations on expanding your entourage.)

Edited by harrie
  • Love 8

Congratulations to Rufus and Murphy, for hitting the doggy rescue jackpot!  How adorable are YOU TWO?!?!  Adorable, Maharincess!  And I LOVE the bent ears!  I rescued an Airedale who had the exact same ears ... one up, one down.  So damn cute! 

• Love 1

Murphy is the funniest, goof ball dog I've ever known. I haven't stopped laughing since he got here. Rufus is more mellow and just wants to cuddle but Murphy is crazy.

Happy birthday Gordon!

My dog is mad, she only gets a hamburger on her birthday which is actually her adoption day since we don't know her birthday.

• Love 1

Thanks harrie!!!

That is Rufus on the left and Murphy on the right. They are 6 and 5 respectively.

They are divine! I am so jealous!

I'm really wanting to get a dog at the moment and would love a miniature Schnauzer but alas my landlord won't allow it.

Not sure my 2 cats would like it either! I posted their picture further back in this thread. Harry (the tabby Long haired oriental) and Eliza. (a havana oriental)

RKVAMbW.jpg

• Love 5

As he's running in slo-mo, all I could think was, "He's gonna eat that damned bow." because my brother's dog (a Golden) eats everything. But Gordon's smarter than Daisy, so good boy!

Heh. My golden totally would have eaten the bow. Steak first. Then lick the plate. Then eyeball me, and then jump on the bow and attempt to eat it as I attempted to get it out of her mouth. 

That was the way we rolled.

• Love 3

They are divine! I am so jealous!

I'm really wanting to get a dog at the moment and would love a miniature Schnauzer but alas my landlord won't allow it.

Not sure my 2 cats would like it either! I posted their picture further back in this thread. Harry (the tabby Long haired oriental) and Eliza. (a havana oriental)

RKVAMbW.jpg

My cat doesn't like the boys either. They aren't too sure about her either, if they get too close and she hisses they run behind the couch. They love my Border Collie Kaylee though. Kays is fine with small dogs so she's become a good big sister. When they go out the boys follow her and she's shown them all of the fun places and the best spots to go potty.

They saw a rafter of turkeys outside this morning, Kaylee is used to them but the boys didn't know what the hell they were. They alternated between hiding and wanting to give chase. They would run a couple of steps then freeze and back up a few steps.

I wonder what they'll do when they see a deer. They're everywhere out here.

I'm having so much fun with my little zoo.

• Love 4

Ha!! Gordon Lightfoot's Very Best Day was a lot fun.  

Oscar managed to almost, not quite but almost, catch a deer today.  I don't know what he would have done had he caught it...but I'm willing to bet, it wouldn't have gone well for any of the dogs or bipeds involved.  

Oh, let's see if this works.  I set this to public.  It's just a video of Oscar running around in the backyard.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

The people who live on the property up from mine said the old neighbors that I never met used to let their

Chihuahuas run free in the hills up here, the female ran after a deer one day and the deer killed her.

My neighbor said even after that happened they still let the other dog roam the hills.

Stillshimpy, I can guarantee it wouldn't have gone well for your dog. Does are out right now with babies and it wouldn't have been pretty.

I never, ever let my dogs anywhere near them. If we go out and there's a deer in the yard, which happens a lot, we come back in until its gone. If we have to go out then, I make sure they are tightly leashed.

When we first bought this property everybody we met up here warned us to watch the dogs with the deer.

It's so cool living with the deer. Dusk and early mornings are the best time to see them. My husband has been telling me about a doe with twin babies he's seen a few times. My granddaughter and I went for a walk last night around 8 and we saw them. We stopped when we saw them and watched them eat for a minute (from a safe distance), then they crossed the end of my dirt road in front of us. The look on my granddaughter's face when she saw them was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. She was thrilled to see them.

We went on a walk once when she was about 3 and she saw her first deer up here. She went crazy, in her eyes she had just seen Bambi. For months she carried around the picture we took and told everybody she saw that she saw Bambi in her grandma's front yard.

It was so sweet. I'd love to see the world like that again.

Damn. I'm on my phone and can't watch Oscar. It usually plays video with no problems.

Thank you for rescuing him. I read your comment on the video. Rescue dogs are so special. I will rescue only from now on.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

Absolutely, I always try to keep Oscar away from the deer.  We have a large lot and I usually just make enough noise that they take off long before he can get there.  This particular doe decided to cut one way...and then backtracked...so it was a merry chase.  Oscar chasing the deer....we're chasing Oscar and thank goodness it all turned out okay.  Those hooves are known to do some darned damage though.  

Pud, the dog in my avatar, wisely hid by the door the entire time.  "Uh oh.  I'll be over here, not getting shredded." 

• Love 2

I do that too if we're coming around a corner or up a hill and I can't see what's coming. I'll whistle and scuff my feet. 9 times out of 10 I hear something run away.

It's scary when they run after a deer. You never know if the deer will keep running or turn around and start chasing. We had a dog that chased a few and as we were chasing the dog chasing the deer I kept repeating "keep running deer, don't turn around".

• Love 2

stillshimppy, thank you for sharing the video of Oscar.  He's beautiful, and he looks so happy.  Yay for both of you.  

We have lots of deer, but my boy barely notices them. They're so pretty.  The Handsome boy doesn't even look at squirrels, either; and I think they've noticed, as they don't scurry and scramble like they do for other neighborhood dogs when they see us coming.

• Love 1

My late baby boy Harley never paid attention to the deer or the turkeys. He would look at them and then go on about his business.

Next month marks 3 years since my Harley left me. I can't believe it's been 3 years. I have his collar hanging on the lamp by my bed. I still miss him so much. I had him from 4 weeks old to 1 month shy of 13 years.

I love all of my animals with all of my heart but Harley was the one. He was my soulmate dog.

I know there's no such thing but he was the perfect dog. I got him so young and started training him from day one. He obeyed verbal and hand commands. One snap of my fingers and I'd get his attention then I would just point to where I wanted him to go and he would go to that spot and sit until I told him to move again.

He knew so many tricks. He could open and close our doors, open the front gate, he would bring you anything you asked him to bring. I spent a month once just teaching him what stuff in the house was...the phones, remote, where soda was etc. He would bring back the right thing every time.

I was already a groomer but Harley is what got me into training. I loved training him. It was a lot of fun for me and he was so smart he made it easy.

So sorry, Once I get started talking about my boy its hard to stop.

• Love 3

Thanks, Harrie, we were lucky to find him, but that's the yard the deer got chased across....so I'm telling you, it was freaking eventful.  Thanks, Maharincess, we've had four rescues altogether.  Puddles is also a rescue, and yes, she came with that name.   

Dogs are constants in your life and part of your family, it does make sense to miss them like the family members they are.  I'm sorry you're particularly missing Harley right now.  

• Love 1

I'm sorry, Maharincess. I still remember the dates we lost our critters, and we toast them on the (sad) anniversaries and talk about the good times we had with them.  The day after we had to put down our first dog, I got really sick - started out like a flu, then turned to a bad case of bronchitis, complete with hospital visit.  I might have gotten sick anyway, but I can't help thinking being depressed or worn down from losing Ethel contributed to lowering my resistance.  They're a big part of our lives. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 3

What does everyone else do with their deceased pets? As a child, we'd bury them on the farm, but since I've been living in apartments all my adult life, I felt that cremating them and keeping their ashes "works" better. I currently have four kitties with a few pictures and toys in an adult-sized urn that my family knows to bury with me. I know they also have cremation gardens where the ashes are mixed and scattered.

• Love 1

Supermama Tip steals kittens

Two new litters at TinyKittens, 5 for Tip, 8 for Sisko.  One of Sisko's died.  It's the kitten in the video that Tip steals back from Shelly.  

Before three of Sisko's kits got sick with a bacterial infection, the litters were split six and six.  Now that the three are with Tip, she has eight.  And she is completely and totally content.  She would take all of the kittens if Shelly would let her.  

You can watch Tip be Supermama to all of the kittens.  

http://livestream.com/tinykittens/tip

Tip deserves to be an Internet sensation.  She is Supermama and she will take care of ALL of the kittens.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 3

I am totally not at a point in my life where I can adopt a pet, despite wanting one.

I look at our local online community site on a regular basis to Awww over the dogs and cats available from other residences.  Today there was one for a 2 year old akita - registered.  He's beautiful and I sososososososo want him!

In no universe does it make sense for me to consider adopting anything, but even the best behaved and trained akita would be an iffy decision on my best days (mobility issues).  But I wants him.

• Love 1

My Border Collie helps me with my molibity issues. I've taught her to go down the hill and get the paper and she'll pick things up when I drop them.

I think any time is the right time to adopt a pet.

We took my girl in this morning to get some teeth pulled. In her former life her abuser broke most of her front teeth and some of them can't be fixed. Poor baby has been through so much and even years later the abuse is still affecting her.

My husband and I were talking about Kaylee's abusive past this morning. I have a really hard time even thinking about it. Not only because I love her soooo much but because I understand that even though I saved her when everybody else had given up on her, but I can't think about it because I know that right this second another dog is being abused in the same way and there's nothing I can do about it.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

The right dog is out there for everyone and this Akita might be yours DeLurker :)  Dogs are pretty adaptable I've found, especially once you've got the routine down.  Sometimes when your heart is tugging for that special one...I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you.

Maharincess I get those thoughts too sometimes.  I guess all we can do is be as good as we can to those we care for.  Pets are so trusting.   At the rescue I volunteer for, I don't know how the first contactors do it.  We're breed specific so we get owner surrenders and we pick up from shelters & puppy mills (Tai was a former puppy mill mama, they call her).   They have to keep civil contact with legal mills and dog auctioneers in order to get the dogs from them.  I don't think I could do it, and these aren't even instances of the real horrifying abuse you're talking about, though there's been some of that, it's mostly neglect and abandonment, being treated as disposable.  Quite a few we don't know their history, but they'll have scars, injuries, infections, etc.

Well we need a cheerful picture now.  Here is Tai with my sister's dog Rudy. Tai is pretty ambivalent towards other dogs, though she gets along with them OK.  They just both wanted the sun here.97fop5z.jpg

• Love 8

So cute!! I love when animals follow the sun spots around the house.

My cat has our sun schedule down. She knows first thing in the morning the back of the couch is the sunny spot, then she moves to what I call my plant wall, then its upstairs under the skylight.

• Love 4

"Catfishing" on the Warrior River

In the YT comments there's a link to where the kittens were adopted by a family with two little girls.  

Awwww.  

Well, that is just too cute for words, 33kaitykaityThank you for posting!

• Love 1

I have a little orange rescue named Graham. He's super affectionate, a fierce hunter of bugs, and toys, and loves Temptation's Cat Treats!

Graham is actually running in a "Cutest Pet Contest" for an apartment complex on Facebook! If he wins (gets the most likes) he will get a gift basket full of treats and toys.

This is my baby! (My name is under an alias- don't worry!)

ETA: Can't figure out how to upload the right photo. I shall return.

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 4

Orange cats are my favorite! Every orange cat I've ever had has had an extra dollop of crazy in them.

I will never again have a male cat again and orange females are semi rare so I have only had a few orange ones but I've adored them all.

Garanimal, is there any way for us to vote for Graham?

Edited by Maharincess

Orange kitties - I love them!  We had a female orange cat for many years; I didn't know they are semi-rare.  She was a character - she relaxed on back of the toilet on hot days, walked along our headboard in the middle of the night (luckily, she had great balance most of the time), hated the dog but if he was curled up in the bed where she wanted to be, she'd just work her way in.  She was very curmudgeonly, but very sweet too.

Granimal, I'd love to see your picture(s) of Graham. If you want any help, just say so.  

• Love 1