Type keyword(s) to search

Citizen Z's Updates: Z Nation In The Media

giovannif7

Netflix has approved a prequel to ZNation called Black Summer. Yeah baby!

Black Summer on Netflix

This is supposed to be more serious, lacking the fun, sometimes campy over the top tone of its parent show. I think they are going for a combination of horror and action. Not a bad thing. Making it different will let it stand on its own. The way they describe the story format is intriguing to say the least. 

Now I want to know:

- What relationship does Black Rainbow have with starting the apocalypse or making it worse?

- Will any ZNation characters make a cameo? I would like the characters with the thinner back stories to appear in some capacity. These would be TenK, Red, SunMei, Kaya and Addy. Why not 5K? I'd settle for some passing reference.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, 51Muses said:

Netflix has approved a prequel to ZNation called Black Summer. Yeah baby!

Black Summer on Netflix

So Black Summer is this franchise’s version of FTWD?  

Let’s hope BS* handles the whole society-collapse thingie better.

FTWD disappointed mightily in that respect. 

* BS?  Hee hee.  ;>

• Love 2

Here's are 2 interviews with Jodi Binstock, a ZNation's producer, director and writer.

SYFY Jodi Binstock Interview   - Mostly about Binstock's career path and women in production roles

Here are relevant excerpts so you don't have to jump to the link.

Really, the only similarity between Z Nation and Black Summer is that the Black Summer is the first summer that Z Nation took place in. Z Nation, when it begins, is in year four of the zombie apocalypse. Black Summer is three months in; this is the first outbreak, this is when all the sh*t's hitting the fan. It's not tongue-in-cheek at all. It is as realistic as any television I've ever seen.

The creator, John Hines, along with Karl Schaefer, who's the creator of Z Nation, wanted to do something very different in the genre that is extremely popular. You stand the chance of, "Oh, that old trope, that old zombie thing, I'm done with zombies". They wanted to do something different. John's philosophy is that one realistic zombie is far more terrifying than a horde of them coming at you. There's also the realism of what would happen if your husband turned into a zombie, or your child turned into a zombie. It's the real grittiness of that, and that's what Black Summer is. The way it's being shot is extremely unique too, and Netflix allows you to do that. Z Nation is more of a PG show and I would say that Black Summer is much more of an R show.

Cultured Vultures Jodi Binstock Interview  - This one has more about ZNation behind the scenes production.

Excerpts

It’s going to be very different from Z Nation. It will not be the comedy that Z Nation is. It takes place in the very first summer of the zombie apocalypse. It is really down and dirty, and very gritty. Your heart is thumping from the minute it starts, to the end. I’m excited about it. The filmmaking is tremendous. Then having Jamie King star in it, she’s amazing. She’s a real tour-de-force. She’s gonna knock your socks off on this one.

It’ll be 8 episodes on Netflix, starting in about a year from now. It’s just non-stop excitement. The characters, the storytelling. It’s terrific. I really can’t say enough about it.

There were a lot of conversations about whether it was going to have the same humor as Z Nation. It’s definitely from the same world, but it’s going to be a very different show. It’s much earlier in the zombie apocalypse. It’s like what would happen in real-life if it really did happen. You don’t see that. You always see a sort-of TV version of it. This is much more realistic than anything I’ve ever seen.

On 10/8/2018 at 2:09 PM, 51Muses said:

There's also the realism of what would happen if your husband turned into a zombie, or your child turned into a zombie.

They kind of did that a each of our intrepid crew found out about the Zombpocolypse.

1 hour ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

Not renewed for a season 6.   Bummer.  

That's disappointing.   Hopefully they tie things well during next week's season (and now series) finale.  Who know maybe the zombie wheel of cheese will make an appearance ?  One can hope.

Sidenote: I just wish people would learn that you can take videos on their smartphones in landscape mode (turn the phone 90 degrees).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Who know maybe the zombie wheel of cheese will make an appearance ?  One can hope.

That would be a great send off!

I'm not surprised that it's not being renewed.  I kinda felt that it was running out of steam, but I'll still miss my Friday night zombie laughs. 

• Love 2

This season has felt like the show preparing for end of series, possible Season 6 and intro of Black Rain. A lot to do but I think it's gone pretty well especially with a lower budget and a cast busy with other projects. There will be some closure instead of some shows ending with too many loose ends and unresolved plots. 

I do appreciate the work of all the cast, crew, writers and producers. Z Nation has had a great run. It's going on my rewatch list.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Janimo said:

Oh, no! I wish there was some way we could save the show....sigh....

A campaign has started to try to convince Netflix to take on Season 6 or a feature movie to end the show properly.  I think it is #netflixZNation on twitter.  

Best thing to do is to show continued interest in the show either by watching the last episode live/DVR, blogging and social media posts. 

• Love 1