Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: The Apprentice

• Start Topic

When the sorcerer's apprentice got turned into a mouse by Rumple in the past I laughed so hard.

I thought that was Mickey honestly. They never mentioned his name, referred to him as the Sorcerer's Apprentice, he turned into a mouse. 

• Love 6

I don't care about the flaws, I loved this episode!

ALL THE BLACKMAIL!!!! ALL THE DECEIT!!!!!!! THAT BACKGROUND MUSIC!!!!

Episode MVP: MICKEY THE FREAKIN' MOUSE!!!

Runner-up: RUMPLE!!!!! Glorious, glorious Rumple...

Surprised that the CS date was so short, but It didn't matter because everything else was awesome. Liked seeing pirate killy again. Also, Rumple called him a puppy!

The way Anna and Hook were being paralleled though... I honestly thought for a second, that Rumple was going to try getting Killy to cry in order to steal his tears.

Also, it makes me wonder if there is still hope for Killy triumphing over Rumple in the future because they showed Anna besting Rumple.

Favorite scene of the night: the Captain Crocodile car scene. The nostalgia.

• Love 4

Well, I guess the streak had to end.  To be fair, I didn't hate this episode, but it was kind of boring and slow for me.  I guess the flashback did show how Rumple gets possession of the magical hat and stuff, but besides that, it was just establishing what we already knew: Elsa and Anna's parents were trying to find a way to destroy Elsa's powers, and that Anna is a good person, who can be taken advantage off.  Not that interesting.  And, while I did like the scene with Anna and Kristoff (and the reindeer!  The reindeer is awesome!), it also made me realize that I find Elsa to be the most interesting thing about the Frozen story-line, and her not being there was noticeable.  But, it sounds like we'll be getting some good Elsa/Anna stuff in the future, so I'm happy about that.

As for modern time, sorry, but Hook is an idiot.  I get wanting to impress Emma on a first date, but to do all that?  Really?  Why would you willing do anything with Rumple?  Hooks knows how dangerous he is.  There is no excuse.  Of all the villains, Rumple is the one who is like "Sooner or later, I will fuck you over!" to everyone, and yet, people keep falling for him and his antics, over and over again.  So, now Hook is on tape, helping Rumple take out someone.  And, he's just going to keep it a secret from everyone, including Emma.  Even though, after everything Rumple has done, he could easily tell her what happen, and it would be believable that he was forced to do it, and didn't know what was going to happen.  But, nope.  He's going to be an idiot.  Great.

Bored with all the Regina and Henry stuff.  Those two are just made for each other.  Delusional and idiotic, that pair.  And, I know Jared Gilmore was never the greatest, but there were times in his performance tonight, where I thought it was going to be revealed Henry was taken over by something.  He just came off so unnatural and stilted.

Snow and Charming were obvious, but hilarious as parents though.  I much prefer Snow when she's excited for Emma and her life, instead of having to deal with crap from the Storybrook citizens.

Oh, Will.  You hilarious scamp!  Liked the Wonderland references; I guess that picture of the Red Queen means that he does remember Anastasia on some level, so hopefully that will be addressed.

Next week looks better though, with more of The Snow Queen causing shit.

• Love 9

First of all...are they actually going to address the fact that these characters both exist in their own universes, AND in fictional stories in the "real" world? Because that has been bugging me for FOUR FREAKING SEASONS!!!!! Please let them deal with this!

Also, please let Hook tell Emma the truth ASAP! He's the only bad guy who's redemption arch I actually buy into, please PLEASE don't have him flipping and flopping all over the place like Rumple/Regina! Please don't ruin Captain Swan! I didn't want to ship then, but then you made them awesome and I had to! You made me care, show! Don't screw me over with some lame plot contrivance to keep them apart!

But beyond that, the Captain Swan stuff was pretty dang adorable, especially when Emma asked him out, and he practically threw the dart out of the room he was so surprised. Loved Snow and Charming's reactions, especially Snow taking pictures. Its not much, but its good to see at least a little bit of Snow and Emma.

Pissed as hell at Rumple. I am kinda over him, although RC is still killing it 100%. He really hasn't grown at all in four seasons. Its pretty disappointing.

Cracked up at the weather nonchalantly mentioning the temperature near the ice-wall going down. Life in Storybrooke!

Still Love all the frozen stuff. All the actors (including Sven!) are wonderfully likable, and I really enjoying their story. I feel like how I feel about the episode as a whole will depend on if it actually goes anywhere this season.

I love seeing Will again, and I really want to know what's going on with him and Anastasia.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

As for modern time, sorry, but Hook is an idiot.  I get wanting to impress Emma on a first date, but to do all that?  Really?  Why would you willing do anything with Rumple?  Hooks knows how dangerous he is.  There is no excuse.

Especially after Emma just made a point to him that she was afraid of him dying. I'd be pretty upset to learn the truth if I were her. However, I know she wouldn't break up with him over it.

Cracked up at the weather nonchalantly mentioning the temperature near the ice-wall going down. Life in Storybrooke!

I forgot about that! Loved it!

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2
Guest Accused Dingo

I think the difference between Rumple and Regina is that Rumple didn't really change.  He just pretends to.  Regina may have her moments of selfishness but she is attempting to actually be a better person.  She isn't using her magic to manipulate Robin Hood.  The exact opposite.  She used it to try and save his wife.    Yes she is pissed; to be honest I would be too.  The question has always been on how you see Regina.  Is she a pure villain or is she someone who is actually on the path to being someone else.  I have always thought that the fact that she is actually trying to be better means that she isn't an outright villain.  Operation Mongoose sounds like the way I had hoped the Wizard of Oz plot had gone.  Regina on her quest to get her happy ending realizes she had ti  all the time.  

As for Hook.  I am not sure if I like the way the story is going.  I do like the idea that Rumple tricked him into believing that his hand would cause him to be the man he was only to find out that it only made him free to reach into that part of him....however I am not sure I am going to enjoy the storyline.  

By the way,  how many people are living in Mary Margaret's flat anyway?  At best it is two bedroom.  I think that is what she told Emma when Emma moved in season 1.  Or was it one bedroom and comfy couch?  Either way,  there is like 5 people living there now.   They really do need to find nicer accommodations.  Mary Margaret is Mayor,,,,,not to mention technically queen.      Hell the family would have better accommodations living in the jailhouse.  

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 3

Okay, and I'm sorry.. but I have to mention the promo WTF moment.

Why is there a shot from "Going Home" (3x11) of them running through Storybrooke? I mean, sure it has Belle, Granny, and the other main cast but it also has Neal.. who is dead.. And a pregnant-but-trying-not-to-show-it Snow...

I mean, were there no other shots of the cast running through town that didn't contain dead characters? Did they really need to fluff the promo that much to add those three seconds that are from almost a year ago?

Edited by OnceUponSomeChaos
  • Love 4
By the way,  how many people are living in Mary Margaret's flat anyway?  At best it is two bedroom.  I think that is what she told Emma when Emma moved in season 1.  Or was it one bedroom and comfy couch?

There's some kind of room at the top of the metal staircase to the left of the apartment door (if you're walking into it). We've never seen it so fanon is kind of divided on what, exactly, it is. My headcanon is that it's a small loft that's just barely big enough to sleep both Emma and Henry comfortably.

• Love 2

I'm annoyed because I used to like Rumpel/Gold because even though he's bad he's usually interesting, he's been shown to occasionally experience a TINY glimmer of remorse/humanity, and I like the actor in both Rumpel and Gold modes.  But now I feel like it's getting kind of old.  I don't like that Gold/Rumpel is tied up with a dingbat like Belle.  She's always whined on about how he's really good inside, and before now I could just "go with it" a little because he did occasionally do something sorta-kinda good, but now he never does.  He's actively working toward his own evil ends all the time now and Belle pretty much just stands around with no clue, looking like an airhead in her ridiculous outfits.  And then Gold gets the box all to himself and the viewer is supposed to be wondering what he's up to and what should come out of the box but...a really badly CGI'd Mickey Mouse sorcerer hat.  Eee-yikes.  Help me!

And now add Hook to the mess.  That whole thing...  I don't even want to go there.  Hook was supremely stupid and should be beating a path to Emma's door to explain about the magically altered tape.

The ONLY thing saving any of this for me is the Frozen stuff and finding out what is going on with evil ice queen and Emma.  It'd better be good.

My favorite line of the night:  "It's the only time I've ever made someone sweat."  Lol, Elsa, you slay me!

• Love 1

I'm starting to think that Will's entire storyline is going to be a virtual recycling of his one from OUATIW, since it was the most well-received part of that show and so now they're bringing it to a wider audience. He's acting exactly as he did when that show began, and his endgame is likely to be reunited with Anastasia just like before.

Also, why is everyone ragging on Hook not telling Emma? Rumple flat-out said he would kill her if he told, and since Hook is all too aware that Rumple can and will carry out such threats, it's little wonder he's keeping quiet. It's psychological fear at work.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 1

Anyone else get confused when these boards reference the Snow Queen? I keep thinking it's another ship name and there's always a brief automatic pause as my mind flashes through the possibilities of who it refers to.

Some of us are calling her Dairy Queen or DQ to ease the confusion. :)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

As a Captain Swan shipper, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. That's probably an understatement. For the record, I don't think Hook (I will probably call him that forever, even if he gets his hand back for good. Heck, even Emma called him that on their date) wanted his hand back to impress Emma but because he thought Emma deserved a whole man, and a bit for his own selfish reasons of wanting to touch her with both hands. But I loved that Emma didn't even notice his hand at first, and when he got the hook back, she was all, whatever.

I was confused why Hook was looking at his hand when they were kissing. Was he having impure thoughts and believed it was the hand causing them? Cause I'm pretty sure he's been having those thoughts for quite a while.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the similarity to Grease wasn't purposeful. Even when Emma was wearing Hook's jacket, I was reminded of the film.

• Love 5

For the record, I don't think Hook (I will probably call him that forever, even if he gets his hand back for good. Heck, even Emma called him that on their date) wanted his hand back to impress Emma but because he thought Emma deserved a whole man, and a bit for his own selfish reasons of wanting to touch her with both hands. But I loved that Emma didn't even notice his hand at first, and when he got the hook back, she was all, whatever.

I was confused why Hook was looking at his hand when they were kissing. Was he having impure thoughts and believed it was the hand causing them? Cause I'm pretty sure he's been having those thoughts for quite a while.

I can kind of take or leave Captain Swan (although IMO it's better than saggy baggy Neal any day, yuck), but I actually thought it was really sweet when Hook said he wanted to be able to hold Emma with both hands.  When he looked at his hand when they were kissing, I thought he was becoming afraid that he would physically hurt her because he thought the hand was affecting his temper/actions.

Emma's date outfit kind of reminded me of 1959-ish Barbie.

• Love 1

Welcome back Rumple, you magnificent bastard. It's so fun to watch him manipulate everyone because then you can root for someone to outwit him. We got a little bit of that in Anna, although she should've included Kristoff and her kingdom in the "can't hurt" list. The omission is pretty glaring and a flashing neon sign of what's about to go down. I thought their scenes were pretty fun. But why do people keep listening to him after they've been tricked by him? I don't buy his parents story.

Will's date and jail scene screamed of setup of Hook. I bet he's also working for Rumple and/or under his thumb in exchange for whatever help he needs with Ana.

I thought the asking you out scene was cute and funny but the date was a non-event. The Charmings' parent schtick was cute too although it wasn't so much the lines as it were Ginny's and Josh's expressions. These actors really sell the Velveeta.

• Love 5

@ tennisgurl, 

I love seeing Will again, and I really want to know what's going on with him and Anastasia.

Not sure what this is about?  I know Will Scarlet from Robin Hood but I didn't watch the spinoff, so was this revealed already or does this belong in spoilers?

If they think that every fan watched the spinoff, then they will have to recreate it for us, because this fan never got into Alice and I don't even remember the correct title.

• Love 3

As a Captain Swan shipper, the date was so sweet. I love how happy and open Emma was, and that for once she didn't let other stuff ruin her night.

Hook was so dumb with Rumpel, but he could just tell Emma the truth. But of course he won't for plot reasons, and then Emma will be mad at him and ugh. Rumpel is so wrong and I don't like that he's messing with CS, but I loved his manipulation being back. I enjoy Colin and Robert working together and I'm interested in what will happen next but I hate that Hook will be hiding this from Emma.

Snow and Charming reacting to the date was priceless. And I don't think I've ever cared less about a SL than I do about Operation Mongoose. I can't even take it seriously with that name.

• Love 1

I loved Rip Van Winkle requesting that the radio station play him some classic music to wake up to.

I'm still not a fan of PollyAnna. Elsa can stay though. Sven is hilarious.

Henry and Regina are pretty disfunctional; I hope Henry is doing this just to keep his mom busy doing something fairly harmless and not because he actually believes any of it but then again he believed Peter Pan so...

Hook held the Idiot Ball this episode, sigh.

Aww... poor Will. First with getting punched rather hard and then with the ripped out page... I just know there is heartbreak in his story there. (I only watched like 4 episodes of OUAT Wonderland, but he was the best part)

Please tell me that the sorcerer's apprentice is named Mick or Mickey.

The date was cute. Also, I cheered when I saw the Lady and the Tramp couple. I thought Emma's outfit was odd, but if it was a nod to Grease then that's cool.

So I guess I got my answer; Emma is still living at Chez Charming... talk about a crowd, although I did enjoy the date related Snowing lines. I hope she moves out soon to that seaside apartment mentioned by Henry in episode 3-22.

• Love 2

I liked this episode. It was nice to see Zoso again, even if it was only briefly. Anna was good in her scenes with Rumple, and not too hyper. And she actually outsmarted Rumple! And hehe--the Apprentice was Mickey Mouse. Too bad Anna gave the Dagger back, but I'm not sure keeping it would have been a better idea. Man, Elsa's parents really were something else! Kristoff and Anna had good chemistry. Poor Anna got a wake-up call about her parents, huh?

Loved the Captain Swan date, even if we didn't get to actually see them through that date. I guess that would have broken A&E's "not more than 2 minutes for a character moment" rule. The Lady and the Tramp moment was precious. Emma was so adorable. The scenes of Mary Margaret, Charming and Elsa reacting to the oufit, and her parents waiting up for her were all sweet. Snow's excited jiggle when Hook knocked at the door was precious. But again, 2 minute rule.

Poor Will seems to be looking for or missing the Red Queen. He's either trapped in Storybrooke, or Ana's inside that Hat.

Speaking of... the CGI for the Hat is barely passable. The poor Apprentice (just like the Hat) was conveniently in Storybrooke, only to be sucked inside.

Why did Hook have to be so beyond stupid? It's like he lost his brain cells somewhere along the way to the plot-contrivance fairy. I guess they cut the scenes with the machete. It's beyond painful that he's keeping secrets from Emma now. He should totally confess, or she's going to be so hurt when she finds out.

Rumple's really not changed one bit. He's just super cunning and powerful for it to be anything like a fair fight where he is concerned. I guess Hook will end up being his drudge for the rest of the season. I'm so pissed. The power-imbalance of the dynamic is so obviously slanted in favor of Rumple, it's not even funny. But that's how A&E like to roll... If this doesn't backfire on Rumple spectacularly, I will be pissed. Knowing A&E's penchant for villains, I will guess no. But I do love the fact that he is the unrepentant asshole again. He's most definitely not the sappy good-hearted guy Belle fantasizes him to be.

I can't believe Henry is actually manipulating Rumple using the dead dad card. I was disgusted. And for once, I'm glad Regina shut Henry up when he tired to give dumb romantic advice. But, of course, she has no problem with letting him work for the Dark One. Now, both Henry and Hook are keeping secrets from Emma, and Regina's enabling her son to lie by omission to his other parent. Fantastic! And wth with your judgy remark about Hook, Henry? Just shut Up!

Anyway, lots of set-up for the rest of the season...

• Love 5

To quote an old classic black and white goofball comedy team from wayyyyy back..."Well, that's another fine mess you've gotten us into" (Laurel and Hardy always made my beloved Grandpa laugh!)

What the holy hell was all this mess about anyway? Laughing because along with some very amusing one-liners, sweet, sassy and cute scenes, I was doing double takes at the screen for the entire hour. Who ARE these people, again?

The mouse, Precious cute. Clever, I guess. But I loved Fantasia so I can't scoff too much. I didn't care a lot for Frozen but Kristoff is...entertaining!! I can take Anna for about five minutes total. But she IS cute and gutsy even for a goody goody.

The walking broomstick...oh, sweet holy...HA. Including background music as well.  And by the way, if Rumple needed the broomstick to find the Apprentice's house...how did he have a VCR recorder set up there??? And if he had access to the magic broomstick, why did he need Hook??  And really???... he needed HOOK to hold down this old guy when he can freeze/stop everyone, including Belle with the wave of his hand? (I know I know, to entrap him but still) He has the hand, he has it not, she has the dagger, she has it not. you are lying, no I am not, yes, I actually am, I control you, no I control YOU, no wait who controls who????...you kill my love I will kill yours, no wait, I already did, no wait...I will take you down with me cause while you haven't changed , I have, no wait, have I???...Gaaaaaahhh.

(I still love em, both). I will probably get used to the new *hat of ultimate power*. Probably, but too much Disney can be, well, too much Disney.

(Belle's2 second wardrobe cameo...oh dear runway goddess, get her into something that doesn't look like a reject from a Barbie doll's closet)

And oooo, with one simple, manipulative line to Rumple about *his Dad*, Henry will open up a total can of *OMG NEAL is still dead and being totally disrespected because everyone isn't  circling his grave singing kubaya at the beginning of every episode, but they keep bringing him up, but not enough, but just enough to make it all about us abused fans and force us all to go back into deep and delusional social media mourning. I hate them I hate them I hate them* chatter/spewing worms all over the little Internet pockets of Neal denial fandom.

Henry and Regina and The Project Mongoose... Does Henry OR Regina realize yet that if they re-write the book to make Regina less evil, he might disappear into thin air??? Brilliant Project, Henry. However, seeing Henry with a little of his ol' dark one Grampa in him, using it ON ol' dark one Grampa, is quite poetic justice...and and...oh and why didn't Emma slip on the icy trail she was walking all over while following the Snow Queen??

Oh, mother of everything goofball...I still got a kick out of the massive chaos. I appreciate that they have continually bitten off way too many story lines to chew in 43 minutes yet still manage to bring new things to older plots. I love the Rumple/Hook scenes. They haven't had a chance to be mean arsed for a while. Fun, even if they are "out there, HUH? Wait, whaaa???* Snow became smiley and human again for a moment. Yay! Emma got to pretty up and smile for Killian, and vice versa. I missed the eyebrow...and I was suddenly hungry for spaghetti and, ummm other things watching them do their lovely attempt at frisky affectionate normalcy. (heh) Once they get past the trusting stage/angst, they can become the kick butt sassy duo they are destined to be.

OK, picayune snark aside, there were a few very touching moments.

Will, who I never saw before last week, and never watched Wonderland, but know about his true love: the look on his face when she held up the Alice in Wonderland book and the picture of the red queen. Oh my. The shot of Emma's back while Hook hugged her with two hands. And the way they hand hug, fingers entwined. Oh my. Regina's moment of inner clarity about the actual sadness of the *true love* situation. yeah, oh my.

*What should I call you, Captain Hand?* HA.

*The only time I made someone sweat* HA HA

Ok, I am still in. I want to know/see more.

• Love 5

The current-day Hook/Rumple stuff felt really circular to me.  "I know Belle doesn't have the real dagger."  Then, "I gave Belle back the real dagger."   Then, "I saw you using the dagger!"  And "Well, I have you on VHS."  "And I can still tell Belle."  "And I can still hurt Emma."  It felt like I was watching a slight variation of the same scene three different times.  Did Rumple really have to carry out such a convoluted plan to get something on Hook?  A plan that revealed to Hook his own dirty little secret?  Why the hell would Hook be going into a random old man's house and sucking him into a hat anyway.  It doesn't even make sense.  They seem to want to show Gold/Rumple being oh so smart, except when he's oh so dumb.  Speaking of Dumb, the Sorcerer is pretty dumb as well if just a teardrop of someone who "did not succumb to the darkness" can break the lock.

I almost laughed at the Evil Hand bit since it was so stupid.  Who couldn't guess that Gold was playing Hook there.  And even if getting his hand back made Hook question his base personality, why would the Hand act like it was possessed?  

I also laughed every time Rumple opened Mickey Mouse's hat just to stare at its beauty.

I know people love Rumple being evil, but him completely turning to the dark side when Belle was Lacey maybe made sense.  But now he's not torn at all?  They are just relying on the actor to make us care when they ultimately show his ooey gooey emotional side again, but they can't play that trick if Rumple's evil goes too far.  Whose power will he collect next?  Blue for fairy power?  Elsa for the ice power?  And then ultimately, Emma for Savior power?  

Hook playing darts at the diner reminded me of Graham.  

Regina and Henry was total retread.  I don't remember when they last did this so blatantly since it was basically exactly the same Henry and Regina scenes from last week.  It's like they don't know what to do with Regina... what a shocker.  I hate what they're doing with Henry here... it would have been more interesting if they had Henry try to work for Mr. Gold because he was desperate for a connection with his father, who he never got to say goodbye to.  Instead, we get this crap which neither helps Regina's character development, nor provide Henry with his own arc.  

Why do they have Emma chasing after the Snow Queen with a gun?  

The flashbacks were alright.  They still write Anna's dialogue as too colloquial and modern.  I don't know why, but "Maybe" sounded too modern.  "Perhaps" would have sounded more fitting.  I get she's supposed to be exuberant but the dialogue takes me out of it.  Still, it was written much better than the stuff with Charming in "White Out".   I did like her line to Rumple that she didn't even face her inner darkness at the Apprentice's log cabin.

Why did Anna tell Kristoff that her parents were trying to take Elsa's powers with the Mickey Mouse Box?  I know Rumple said the box could do it, but it wasn't like her parents were specifically looking for it.

Snow taking a Polaroid picture was hilarious.  Snow/Charming/Elsa with Emma before her date was the best scene.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5

Oh, yes, Camera One, the dartboard scene was cleverrrr. First they show Hook getting the easy bulls-eye, then she asks him out and the next dart hits three feet to the side of the board, careening off the wall!

They have very cute moments when not pounded by angst :)

• Love 7
Speaking of Dumb, the Sorcerer is pretty dumb as well if just a teardrop of someone who "did not succumb to the darkness" can break the lock.

Speaking of the Sorcerer: he's totally going to be the one who wrote the book, right?

Hook playing darts at the diner reminded me of Graham. 

I thought it was a deliberate call-back to Graham, most definitely. And actually kind of tasteless in being such an obvious callback to a dead guy. And: after going 2+ seasons with nary a mention, Graham gets shout-outs in back-to-back episodes? What gives? They figured out 50 Shades of Grey is going to be released relatively soon?

It's like they don't know what to do with Regina... what a shocker.

You know what though, if it means Regina just has one, easily fast-forwardable scene per episodes? I hope they never figure out what to do with her! Sorry, Lana Parrilla, you're great, but your character sucks.

• Love 6

Anyone else get confused when these boards reference the Snow Queen? I keep thinking it's another ship name and there's always a brief automatic pause as my mind flashes through the possibilities of who it refers to.

Yes! especially in shortened form: SQ.

this fandom has waaaay too many ship names (the OUAT fandom pairing list on fanlore- Wiki is.. an interesting read through- especially since half of those ships are not even romantic ships, that i know of).

ETA: WTF! moment #100: Emma running on top of the ice trail the Snow Queen left and not tripping and falling. especially in the boots she was wearing.. i may have only lived in an area where snow and ice fall and form on the ground for only the last three years.. but even i know: You DO NOT run on ice.

At this moment i only care about three things on this show:

- Frozen/Snow Queen characters, mainly Elsa and her connection to the Snow Queen, and Snow queen connection to Emma.

- Captain Swan because they have amazing chemistry. but they need to: A- stop writing Hook like an idiot. I feel bad for Colin, the guy is really giving it his all, and 90% of the time he is able to raise above the, becoming all too common, shitty writing for his character and still make me care for Hook (which is alot more than i can say for Katie Cassidy on Arrow for example), but there are times where i wonder: the guy must experience alot of WTFQ moments when he reads his character scenes. B - introduce stupid and contrived ways to test their love and loyalty to one another. it's getting old and mostly annoying - cause they've done it last year!! come on writers, think of more realistic and cleverer ways.

- Will. the man is a gold mine. that I hope will (would?) be smartly used.

There might be a fourth reason but i can't remember it right now.

ETA 4th reason: the Charmings relationship/reaction to Emma just.. dating and so forth. those scenes were awesome (and any Captain Charming and Daddy Charming.. FYI Daddy charming as a name? yea they seriously need a new name). Whether Emma realizes it or not, when she's around both parents she kind of behaves like a little girl/ teenager. which i find awesome, because she never got to do it growing up (as far as we know), so this is her compensating.

But overall this show is slowly, together with Downtown Abbey, becoming part of my "Must [i'll catch it later... maybe,| see TV. if it continue this way i may drop it from my regular viewing list (heaven knows i need the extra hour for school work) and just binge watch the episodes during term breaks. i'm obviously growing bored with the show- which usually means i am close to dropping it completely. except: i love Captain Swan..

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 3

If Rumpel can just wave a hand over a surveillance tape and erase himself from the footage, then it's just as plausible that he could wave a hand over a tape and create whatever scene he wants. This makes the tape entirely useless as evidence. (Speaking of which: VHS! Blast from the past! Do surveillance cameras actually still use these, or is this one of those Storybrooke-has-uneven-technology things?) Gee, Hook's word against Rumpel's, I wonder who the Charmings would believe? *rolls eyes*

Hook was definitely holding the Idiot Ball this week. I hate it when characters do that-- or rather, I hate it when writers make characters do that. Just the other week Hook knew Rumpel well enough to know that Belle must have a fake dagger because Rumpel would never give her the real one. He knows exactly who Rumpel is and the two of them are enemies. Why would he possibly SEEK OUT a situation that involves Rumpel using magic on him and having even a remote possibility of playing him? Just to regain a hand he's had literally hundreds of years to get used to not having? ARGH, so frustrating. His character motivations this week were "because The Plot."

Actually, there were at least three Idiot Balls, seeing as how Regina and Henry and Operation Mongoose makes, as plenty of others have pointed out here, zero sense. I mean... what does the outcome of this "plan" even look like inside their heads?

Agree with finding the Charmings cute, and loving Emma's "I can still hear you!" Snow wanting to know every detail and David clarifying that he did NOT want to know every detail, hah, that is exactly what my parents are like.

The radio in the background while Emma was in her car was hilarious and wonderful. I loved every second of it. Why can't they have that kind of attention to detail when it comes to actual plot and character motivations??

I am interested in seeing Henry become Rumpel's apprentice. I've wanted to see the two of them interact more since they first found out they were grandfather and grandson. Considering how much Baelfire meant to Rumpel and how much effort he put into reuniting with him, it's just seemed odd that he's shown, like, no interest in getting to know his grandson, the son of his beloved Baelfire. So I'm looking forward to more scenes between the two of them. Yes, Robert Carlyle will have to carry those scenes, but I think he's well up to the task.

Speaking of all that... I'm confused about where they're taking Rumpel's character. I mean, he's always been mostly a villain, but almost all of what he did was essentially motivated by love for his son. Until now he's always, at least to me, been a character who can genuinely love someone, yet somehow never do right by that person. His villainy lies in the fact that he doesn't care what happens to anyone he doesn't love (and doesn't mind how many of their lives he ruins), and that he loves selfishly. (Seriously, he wanted to erase Neal's memory and turn him back into a 14-year-old for a “re-do”-- when Neal just discovered that he had a 10-year-old son! There is no way Rumpel spent even a fraction of a second considering what Neal/Baelfire might want, and I doubt it even occurred him to do so.)

Now, I thought Rumpel's arc in the first half of last season was his redemption/finally loving selflessly and sacrificing himself for the ones he loves, but I can see how managing that in a really dramatic moment, and when their lives are at stake, is different from a sustained change in character. But it still feels weird to me that he went from his motivation being all about his son, to it now being all about himself.

Aaaaand, now that I've said that, it occurs to me that in the first episode of this season, Rumpel was at Bae's grave and seemed genuine about wanting to be a better man for Belle's sake and fully intended to switch the dagger right up until he saw the box that had the galaxy hat inside. Maybe he thinks that with enough power, which he can accumulate with the hat, that he can bring Baelfire back somehow? Maybe his motivation for the bad stuff he does hasn't changed... hmmm.

Also, I am confused about something. Since magic is back in Storybrooke and the dagger works to control Rumpel, obviously being the Dark One is still (or probably more accurately, once again) a curse. So can Rumpel and Belle kiss? I can't remember if we've seen them kiss, but I'm pretty sure they have? Why wouldn't that break the curse?

Edited by Anisky
  • Love 8

Sven! They need to find a way to keep him around. Maybe he can start tending bar at Grannies.  React to the customers. I'd love to see his opinion on Operation Mongoose and Operation Stupid-Hand. I don't care how long they have to film him for those shots, he's awesome. Sure, he's not in Storybrooke, but with a little magic, that can be fixed.

In other news...can the writers please, please, please let somebody off the treadmill-of-no-growth? If you make it a plot point in Season 3 that a character made a mistake, was told it was a mistake and promised to stop making that mistake, could maybe he not make the EXACT same mistake in the next season? Maybe, just grow a tiny little bit? The hand-curse is an EXACT repeat of the kiss curse. Bad guy uses a ruse to trick Hook into a bad position and he's afraid to tell Emma about it because she will think less of him. Therefore, he does more bad stuff. Eventually, Emma will find out about it. And in both cases, Emma's magic might get stolen (once by a kiss, the other by a goofy hat).

So, Hook has a choice - go to Emma, admit he was stupid and hope for forgiveness for the minor transgressions of being A) Stupid B) Punching Will C) Being Really Stupid and D) Making a man sit in a chair. Or he can do what Rumple wants, be Super Stupid and do even more bad stuff before Emma finds out, is hurt about the betrayal and horrified by all the evilness. It would be nice if he grew a little bit and picked the first choice - he's seen Emma forgive Regina for burning her Mom at the stake so a little sitting a man down will be easily forgiven - but the producers probably want the second choice because not letting a character grow allows for more recycling of plots.

He could tell Emma and they could reverse sting Rumple. Wouldn't that be more fun than just having a character be super stupid? It's still risky and stupid trying to con Rumple, but at least it would be a new brand of stupid.

Also, who cares if Rumple has a video of you doing something bad? The guy is a whiz at magical Photoshop. Evidence from him means nothing.

Of course pollyAnna takes five seconds to defeat the Dark One. Is there anything she can't do? Next week, she's going to cure cancer and negotiate a peace in the Middle East all while cooking a Beef Wellington that you will be ready to die for.

Edited by kili
  • Love 10

Gold seemed to hint that he will continue using Hook as his henchman.  So 3B's Zelena uses Rumple will become 4A's Rumple uses Hook.  Since Zelena and Rumple can't do everything they need with their own magic. They need henchmen to be more mobster-like.

Oh, Will. You hilarious scamp! Liked the Wonderland references; I guess that picture of the Red Queen means that he does remember Anastasia on some level, so hopefully that will be addressed.

As one of the 12 that watched all of OUATIW my heart broke a little for Will when they showed the picture of Anastasia. I just knew he was going in the library for that book. *sniffle*

Other than that, well Hook still looks yummy. I still enjoy Rumple's evil ways & Sven is made of win. For me less of the Charmings makes them more enjoyable so that was nice. I'm Emma'd out but know she's the savior, blah, blah, blah, so I'm stuck with her. I can't help but hate the Snow Queen for the simple fact that I hated her character on Revolution & apparently am still holding a grudge. Mickey & the hat make my eyes roll around so much in my head it's like I'm playing pinball. I think I need some Grimm to balance this show out.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 3
Also, who cares if Rumple has a video of you doing something bad? The guy is a whiz at magical Photoshop. Evidence from him means nothing.

But the Charmings don't know he can alter videotapes, right? The first time we saw him do it was when he killed Zelena and covered it up, which they don't know about. So I mean, yeah, you should never trust anything Rumpel gives you farther than you could throw David and Hook combined, but they don't know about this particular trick (yet).

They need henchmen to be more mobster-like.

I wonder if he's setting Hook up to be the bait that lures Emma into the hat.

• Love 2
But the Charmings don't know he can alter videotapes, right?

No, but they should assume it. If he can change memories, he can change tapes.They were ready to believe the Zelena tape because there was no evidence of funny business and Rumple was supposedly leashed.

Anybody got the postal code for Storybrooke? I want to send a package to Mr. Killian (Hook) Jones, Third Bench, Down by the Docks, Storybrooke. In it will be a note - "Take this magical rock and place it on a the VHS tape. Problem gone". Inside, will be a big-a$$ magnet. I can do magic too, Rumple. "PS. Go Tell Emma everything right away, you dumb F."

• Love 15

The Charmings and Elsa sending Emma off on her date were adorable. Snow with the GIANT POLAROID CAMERA from, like, 1993. And Elsa being all giggly. Can we please please please keep Elsa around? Also adorable were Snow and David waiting up for Emma. So much cuteness.

I will be irritated to no end by the Hook/Rumple plot if Hook doesn't tell Emma and she finds out later some other way.

Henry: hey, mom, it's great that Marian is on the verge of death! NOW YOU CAN BE HAPPY.

Regina: Yes, Henry, it's a great idea for you to go work for a guy called the Dark One, who is my Enemy in Evil and makes deals for people's souls. Make sure he gives you lunch breaks!

The stupid, it burns.

• Love 8

I generally liked this one, though that was dampened a bit because I fear it has set us up for some less fun ones. Hope I'm wrong. 

Liked:

• Rumple and Hook. Will Hook not just telling Emma the damn truth (which isn't even that bad) get annoying? Yes. But I can't say I'm not happy about the prospect of them interacting more in future episodes.
  • Villain Rumple. The best kind of Rumple.
  • Bonus points: Minimum Belle.
  • Hook's new outfit! About time.
  • David and Snow's belated parenting.
  • I'm intrigued by how and why the Knave came to Storybrooke.
  • As uninterested in the book author plot as I am, I am interested to see what happens with Henry in the store.
  • The persistence of outdated technology in this town. That brick phone Belle was holding was almost an antique. 
  • Very small, but the whole radio broadcast Emma was listening to in her car was funny. From the separate weather report for the ice wall, to the song request from Rip Van Winkle for "something to wake up to"
  • Nice to see Emma opening up and smiling. I was especially surprised to see her kinda flirting with Hook in the station in front of everybody. 
  • And yeah, okay, just about all the date stuff was all pretty cute.

Disliked:

• Learn how to sweep, Henry.
  • Pretty much everything between Henry and Regina. From the fact that she was hanging out with him in a crypt, to him commenting on her relationship with Robin. 
  • I know you're not supposed to think about how the sausage is made, but I couldn't help but think the whole Lady and the Tramp thing must have been super gross for the actors to film.
  • Emma was holding the Knave for breaking into the library and ruining her date. Not for robbing the ice cream store?
Edited by retrograde
  • Love 4

Okay, and I'm sorry.. but I have to mention the promo WTF moment.

Why is there a shot from "Going Home" (3x11) of them running through Storybrooke? I mean, sure it has Belle, Granny, and the other main cast but it also has Neal.. who is dead.. And a pregnant-but-trying-not-to-show-it Snow...

I mean, where there no other shots of the cast running through town that didn't contain dead characters? Did they really need to fluff the promo that much to add those three seconds that are from almost a year ago?

I thought that shot was familiar and that they were doing the same thing (unnecessarily) again. I didn't notice Neal haha

So much stupid in this episode. The idiocy of Hook knows no bounds, Henry clearly has the lead as the dumbest person on the planet and Rumpel is going to let that moron work in his shop? Just don't touch anything, Henry. Riiiiight.

I was so very happy that the Snow/David parent date stuff was not as cringeworthy as I was prepared for. And also very happy that Emma wasn't all that into Snow being super excited either. It was nice to see her humoring them while still enjoying the attention. It seemed pretty obvious she'd have liked to have ended things differently, so here's hoping Emma goes apartment shopping ASAP. Even taking sex with the incredibly hot pirate out of the equation, I'd think she'd want to get away from living in a tiny apartment with a newborn.

What exactly is the plan with Operation Mongoose? Henry thinks Gold has his happy ending because he's married Belle? WTF? Didn't his son just die? Hey, if we apply this happy ending scenario to Regina, she gets Robin, but Henry ends up in the ground. Good thinking, kid. And his yay Marian's frozen attitude is just baffling.

I'm happy to see Rumpel is pretty much completely evil at this point. Belle and her massive cordless phone are in for a hell of a shock when she learns what a lying, selfish jackass she's married to. 

And is there an Emmy for reindeer acting? Because Jack the Reindeer is most excellent.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 5

This episode was such random filler. And only 10 seconds of it were the good kind of filler. Everything else was just...why. I was talking to friend online while I watched it which I rarely do and she's like "What is wrong with this show?" I'm like "Everything." This episode just meanders.

It was just pointless wheel spinning. I don't have this random Brad Dourif love so seriously, of all the characters we haven't seen a glimpse of in ages that I'd love to see again, Zoso does not make the top 50. Blah. I didn't want to see him again. The Dark One legend stuff is not a draw for me of this show. And anyone tuning in just to see the Frozen stuff isn't gonna be happy to see it either. Plus yeah, he got paid for one minute of work, and meanwhile Elizabeth Mitchell was also totally wasted on this episode. Ha, I love Emma running down the street after the Dairy Queen yelling "Why are you following me?!" 

I have never like Fantasia. I saw that walking broom in the title card and I thought, I should turn this off right now. Why didn't I go through with it? Well, because I would have missed the 10 seconds of good filler. Emma being sent off to her date by Elsa and her parents. And Emma returning from said date to find her parents waiting up for her. I liked Snow for the first time since mid season 2. She finally took an interest in her daughter and cared about her and talked to her and paid ATTENTION to her. What do you know, she woke up and remembered she has two children. Nice. Those are the moments of let's slow this down and focus in on the characters that I want to see. Not ...anything else in this episode.

Emma just hmming a puddle under her car. I get you're worried about the Dairy Queen but you should also make sure your car isn't leaking.

Anna considering evil deeds and not reading contracts. Er no.

Emma caring more that that knave crashed her date than that he's a wanted thief. No.

Regina and Henry hanging in her vault of dangerous stuff. Nope.

Regina realizing Gold will never help her but thinking it'd be great to send her 12 year old undercover against the most dangerous and powerful man in town. NO!

The knave's sad eyes looking at that page with the Red Queen on it were very nicely acted. His 3 seconds of acting there impressed me more than a single thing Carlyle did with Gold or Rumpel this episode.

Blah blah, Gold's still evil. Blah blah Gold's using Hook. Blah blah, Gold doesn't care about Belle at all. And come on, we all knew they'd find a way to wreck Hook's redemptive arc given enough time. I never cared much about him but he hadn't done anything to bother me lately. Until now. I hope Emma finds out and dumps him for being 10 different kinds of stupid.

Emma makes it sound like Elsa is staying in that apartment. Ha. I hope she made herself an ice bed in the bathroom. There's no other place. The upstairs is a tiny loft. There's actually been pictures of what it looks like up there in magazines or articles from season 1 or 2. It's too small to actually fit the equipment up there they need to film and the actors at the same time. So they don't use it for anything in reality. Overhead shots sometimes I think.

Kristoff, Sven and Anna all back together was nice, but I take it Elsa's not home?

Don't know why everyone cares that Henry wasn't sweeping great. 1) It's an evil magical broom. 2) The floor was polished and spotless. Show me the correct way to sweep a floor with no dirt on it.

No, I have nothing to say about that hat, and the apprentice stuff. Uh, it was a cute mouse. 

Worst episode of the season so far.

Edited by Aliasscape
  • Love 3

Hook's evil hand? Really? Boy do these writers know how to misread their audience. Hook and Emma are well past awkward dates and judgemental parents, surely? Tired of them throwing up 'obstacles' to their relationship.

And Henry's an ass. I mean, even for a teenage boy. Total ass.

Also an idiot. But mostly an ass.

• Love 4

Sven! They need to find a way to keep him around. Maybe he can start tending bar at Grannies.  React to the customers. I'd love to see his opinion on Operation Mongoose and Operation Stupid-Hand. I don't care how long they have to film him for those shots, he's awesome. Sure, he's not in Storybrooke, but with a little magic, that can be fixed.

In other news...can the writers please, please, please let somebody off the treadmill-of-no-growth? If you make it a plot point in Season 3 that a character made a mistake, was told it was a mistake and promised to stop making that mistake, could maybe he not make the EXACT same mistake in the next season? Maybe, just grow a tiny little bit? The hand-curse is an EXACT repeat of the kiss curse. Bad guy uses a ruse to trick Hook into a bad position and he's afraid to tell Emma about it because she will think less of him. Therefore, he does more bad stuff. Eventually, Emma will find out about it. And in both cases, Emma's magic might get stolen (once by a kiss, the other by a goofy hat).

So, Hook has a choice - go to Emma, admit he was stupid and hope for forgiveness for the minor transgressions of being A) Stupid B) Punching Will C) Being Really Stupid and D) Making a man sit in a chair. Or he can do what Rumple wants, be Super Stupid and do even more bad stuff before Emma finds out, is hurt about the betrayal and horrified by all the evilness. It would be nice if he grew a little bit and picked the first choice - he's seen Emma forgive Regina for burning her Mom at the stake so a little sitting a man down will be easily forgiven - but the producers probably want the second choice because not letting a character grow allows for more recycling of plots.

He could tell Emma and they could reverse sting Rumple. Wouldn't that be more fun than just having a character be super stupid? It's still risky and stupid trying to con Rumple, but at least it would be a new brand of stupid.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of this. Having the same character do the same thing over and over--just no. If they make it brief, because well, Hook can be a bit emotional and reactive when it comes to Rumple (that whole plotting to kill him for 300 years can be hard to shake), so I can see him making a mistake. But he's a strategist who has survived more villains trying to kill him than most (and holds the record for number of people nearly ripping his heart out of his chest). I can accept he did the round-and-round blackmail loop with Rumple to see precisely what Rumple had planned so Hook could plan the perfect offense. All of which involve telling someone who is likely to trust him. If they even have him do the lying thing after Emma just told him the previous night "Of course I trust you!" I might have to stop watching and rewrite my own in character canon.

Because remember, show, you established Hook as smart, the one person who saw through Rumple's lies. He'd know being the Dark One's minion even for a short while would only make things far worse.

If Hook confesses, it will also become clear that he could have been lying about knowing Anna and Elsa and people might get some answers. And then if he brings up the altered video tape, SOMEONE should question if Zelena really killed herself.

Because I love a good villain, but everyone constantly forgetting the bad stuff the villains have done and white washing their past drives me crazy. (Belle and everything Rumple, Henry with Regina who HE called evil in season 1, Emma swearing to bring Regina a happy ending and does she even get how Regina killed Graham? oh and the fact she was only an orphan because of Regina? Has she ever confronted Regina about that, like ever?). 

The reason I believe Hook's redemption is he wasn't a bad guy to start. He went from revenge as a motivation to learning it was empty and would do anything for Emma (or her family) now. He's motivated by love.

Rumple also began as a decent man, but he was afraid. His love for Bae made him so afraid he sought out power, which corrupted him. Throughout most of the series, that was his motivation: Bae (who is dead). Now Bae is dead, his reason for putting everything in motion for the curse is gone, and he's married to Belle, but it's a relationship built on lies. Unless he feels the sorcerer's hat is a way to bring back Bae, I can't see how the character could continue justifying his actions at risk of harming his relationship with Belle (although she feels he can do no wrong, so there's that).

And Hook and Rumple: they hate each other and I love to watch them play off one another. I'm convinced Rumple really did use magic to make Hook's hand act up (he would have wanted a guarantee so he could get payback for being blackmailed the first time), but it's a revenge much sweeter when Hook feels he himself was the cause. Just my opinion.

I would happily welcome more perfect Snowing scenes like tonight's. Snow was beaming rainbows out of every orifice and actually put the baby down (poor Dave missed his chance) to take the Polaroid. We finally saw her caring about Emma, and David was perfect. The date stuff, the set up, the date, the dropping off, was fabulous.

Henry playing Gold with his "I want to be closer to my dad" line was both brilliant (b/c someone played Gold) and sad, because out of all the characters, Henry isn't supposed to be like that. 

• Love 8

Henry playing Gold with his "I want to be closer to my dad" line was both brilliant (b/c someone played Gold) and sad, because out of all the characters, Henry isn't supposed to be like that.

This is why I'm clinging to a shred of hope that Operation Mongoose is going to blow up in Henry and Regina's collective face in the way that it ought to (because, it cannot be repeated enough, that plotline *literally makes no sense*). The show has always positioned Henry as the kid who farts rainbows and has a sunshine halo--the heart/moral center/whatever of the show. Him lying to/manipulating Rumpel in the way he did is *not* something that the Golden Child is supposed to do. Surely the writers must realize this, and be setting him (and by extension Regina) up for a fall...right?
  • Love 10

Hook's evil hand?

Thank you for reminding me!  If Hook hadn't been hit with the Henry stick this week, he'd have realized that Rumpel couldn't possibly be telling the truth because he'd have remembered the man he was when the hand was cut off.  When Rumpel cut it off, Hook was in a committed relationship with a woman with whom he was very much in love and would never have hurt.  His big worry about the hand's influence was potentially hurting Emma but, if he'd been allowed to remember the man he once was, he'd have realized Rumpel's lie. 

• Love 7

I liked this episode but felt a little let down. I think I need to stop watching the sneak peeks. It takes the surprise out. I liked the second half better, although I found snowing to be absolutely charming. ;)

I am split on the hand storyline. I like bobby and Colin working together. It brings out the sharp edges in their characters, but 1) hook was stupid in allowing himself to be used by Rumple and 2) there is too much of a power imbalance to make this fun. I feel for hook being at the mercy of his enemy. He needs to tell Emma or just walk away from Rumple, saying you tell Emma, I'll tell belle and leave it at that. Hook of all characters knows what dark magic does and knows to never trust a crocodile. He even told Bae that resurrecting the Dark one would come at a steep price. He also under pan's thumb in Neverland, so he won't want to repeat it and Liam died because pan didn't give him details. I felt for him because you could tell he really did not like what Rumple was doing to the Apprentice. The Stilkin men really f'd with Hook trying to bring him down to their level and from being a better man.

This episode really drives home what a rat bastard Rumple is. I am one of those fans that recognizes that Rumple, even pre-curse Rumple was/is an incredibly selfish man and still enjoys the character. Personally, I don't know if Rumple is truly capable of fully loving another including Bae. Had Bae stayed in the EF I wonder how long it would take before a Rumple was fully controlling Bae to keep him from leaving. Back to this episode, I want this to blow up in Rumple's face. I hope Hook's story will parallel Anna's and he gets to come out on top. I wonder if part his arc will be to face his dark side and put it aside for the greater good, and that gives him control of the hat. Hook has genuinely tried to change and doesn't seem to take pleasure in being cruel.

I don't mind Henry putting one over rumple. I just don't want Regina to be the hero of this arc. She was the one that defeated Selena in 3b, and her magic played a strong role in 3a; let someone else be the hero.

Edited by kitticup
  • Love 2

First and foremost: I know violence against kids is bad, but henry does deserve a firm whack on the ear. Or both of his ears.

A. What does it mean he's not ok with Emma asking Hook out? I hope it's because he thinks Hook should ask Emma out, not because he's suddenly judgemental of Captain Hand.

B. Being ok with tearing apart family and rewriting "a happy ending" because Regina is throwing a tantrum? Really?

Someone freeze this kid. Please.

The date was sweet, but once again i am reminded I'm watching a show aimed at young adults and pre-teens, not a grown-ups show. The motivation behind these characters screams of Sunday cartoon. Hook especially: as it was said before, he's got the idiot ball this evening. I admit, Colin plays an adorable idiot and I'd hug him for it, but characterwise? The Hook established in seasons 2-3 would never act that way. Also, he should tell Emma the deal right off the bat. But it's now all for DRAMA. (The pleasant surprise of Hook telling the Snowing about Neal in the Neverland was, apparently, a one time thing...)

Anna/Dar One? I love Rumple in his Imp mode, so I was all for the fun.