Type keyword(s) to search

Detective Dominick "Sonny" Carisi: Like Or Loathe?

Hero
  • Start Topic

I will just take this opportunity to be completely shallow - Carisi, in those 3-piece black suits, is a GORGEOUS tall drink of water. Everyone else can have Barba, I'll take Carisi.

I totally agree with you! Can we share him? Those suits fit him like a glove. He looks so good in every scene.

I will just take this opportunity to be completely shallow - Carisi, in those 3-piece black suits, is a GORGEOUS tall drink of water. Everyone else can have Barba, I'll take Carisi.

I totally agree with you! Can we share him? Those suits fit him like a glove. He looks so good in every scene.

I think we can all share him, no?

He did look fantastic in the premiere. For a hot minute he wore that black shirt without a tie and I was like "yesssssssss". It's always great to see him in something different, though he does wear those suits well. And the rolled up sleeves with the skinny ties and the tie clips? Yes please. His hair also looked pretty amazing. As did the rest of him.

Shallowness aside, I really did love the premiere Carisi-wise (which is the way I now watch SVU. "Is Carisi in the episode?" "Does he have a lot of screentime?" "Are the other characters nice to him for once?" "Are his pants really tight?" "Does he do something compassionate?" "Does he say something eerily insightful?" "Does he solve the case?" Those are the questions I ask myself as I watch. The more 'yeses', the more I enjoy the episode.)

Carisi is a quirky character. But that doesn't have to mean he should be portrayed as ignorant or buffoonish. In this episode, we had him hilariously fiddling with the apps on his watch, and giving Benson unnecessary yet accurate information, and messing with Rollins (that bit about getting pulled over, which was pretty sweet, plus 'we call her Sonny'), and saying he kinda liked the murderer (who was pretty likeable, to be fair). I loved all of this. None of it felt like making fun of Carisi as a character, it just felt like a showcase of how endearingly weird he is.

I also loved the different ways in which he interacted with the others. He does always bring out the funnier side in Rollins, but it was so good to see that he was the first to figure out her pregnancy (the first to figure it out in a non-creepy way, that is). The way he got her the ginger ale and the way he casually and subtly brought it up, and the way he didn't assume anything, and the way he was quietly supportive. That was just a great character moment. He has sisters, and he even has a pregnant sister, so it makes sense that he'd be more attuned to that sort of thing. He and Rollins just have a great relationship. Sometimes he's like her annoying little brother, and sometimes he has her back like a reliable big brother. And sometimes Rollins messes with him like a bratty little sister, but sometimes she guides him like a wiser older sister.

But Carisi had some great moments with Barba as well. When Barba was all "you actually looked into this?" and Carisi was like "hell yeah I did", it was a nice little moment of Carisi standing up for himself (and being right). And Barba had to admit that Carisi was right, and he did make another face as he said it, but he seemed more amenable to hearing what Carisi had to say. And when Carisi was all "you did great", complimenting Barba needlessly, just commenting on the trial as a law student, like he knows anything, Barba didn't shut him down. He just spoke to Carisi normally, like Carisi was just one of the guys (which he is). I like the Barba/Carisi dynamic because it's pretty hilarious, but I did like seeing them interacting in a nicer way. Carisi's 'lawyer' side (or wannabe lawyer) should make for some more fun moments with Barba.

Mostly I just liked seeing Carisi be right so much. Granted, at first he didn't agree with Rollins, but he still looked into it. And just as Rollins had given up, he backed her up. And he also came up with the theory the killer was in drag. And he had a lot of other little moments of being quietly competent. In interviews I've read, it is often mentioned that Carisi will be more at ease this season, and it did show in the premiere. Again, I don't think we should lose Carisi's hilariously quirky moments, but they can be more about his personality than his job performance.

Carisi is seriously my favourite character now, and I don't even know how that happened. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season, mostly because of him.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 4

He did look fantastic in the premiere. For a hot minute he wore that black shirt without a tie and I was like "yesssssssss". It's always great to see him in something different, though he does wear those suits well. And the rolled up sleeves with the skinny ties and the tie clips? Yes please. His hair also looked pretty amazing. As did the rest of him.

Shallowness aside, I really did love the premiere Carisi-wise (which is the way I now watch SVU. "Is Carisi in the episode?" "Does he have a lot of screentime?" "Are the other characters nice to him for once?" "Are his pants really tight?" "Does he do something compassionate?" "Does he say something eerily insightful?" "Does he solve the case?" Those are the questions I ask myself as I watch. The more 'yeses', the more I enjoy the episode.)

Carisi is a quirky character. But that doesn't have to mean he should be portrayed as ignorant or buffoonish. In this episode, we had him hilariously fiddling with the apps on his watch, and giving Benson unnecessary yet accurate information, and messing with Rollins (that bit about getting pulled over, which was pretty sweet, plus 'we call her Sonny'), and saying he kinda liked the murderer (who was pretty likeable, to be fair). I loved all of this. None of it felt like making fun of Carisi as a character, it just felt like a showcase of how endearingly weird he is.

I also loved the different ways in which he interacted with the others. He does always bring out the funnier side in Rollins, but it was so good to see that he was the first to figure out her pregnancy (the first to figure it out in a non-creepy way, that is). The way he got her the ginger ale and the way he casually and subtly brought it up, and the way he didn't assume anything, and the way he was quietly supportive. That was just a great character moment. He has sisters, and he even has a pregnant sister, so it makes sense that he'd be more attuned to that sort of thing. He and Rollins just have a great relationship. Sometimes he's like her annoying little brother, and sometimes he has her back like a reliable big brother. And sometimes Rollins messes with him like a bratty little sister, but sometimes she guides him like a wiser older sister.

But Carisi had some great moments with Barba as well. When Barba was all "you actually looked into this?" and Carisi was like "hell yeah I did", it was a nice little moment of Carisi standing up for himself (and being right). And Barba had to admit that Carisi was right, and he did make another face as he said it, but he seemed more amenable to hearing what Carisi had to say. And when Carisi was all "you did great", complimenting Barba needlessly, just commenting on the trial as a law student, like he knows anything, Barba didn't shut him down. He just spoke to Carisi normally, like Carisi was just one of the guys (which he is). I like the Barba/Carisi dynamic because it's pretty hilarious, but I did like seeing them interacting in a nicer way. Carisi's 'lawyer' side (or wannabe lawyer) should make for some more fun moments with Barba.

Mostly I just liked seeing Carisi be right so much. Granted, at first he didn't agree with Rollins, but he still looked into it. And just as Rollins had given up, he backed her up. And he also came up with the theory the killer was in drag. And he had a lot of other little moments of being quietly competent. In interviews I've read, it is often mentioned that Carisi will be more at ease this season, and it did show in the premiere. Again, I don't think we should lose Carisi's hilariously quirky moments, but they can be more about his personality than his job performance.

Carisi is seriously my favourite character now, and I don't even know how that happened. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season, mostly because of him.

I cosign on everything in this post.

You seriously read my mind. I'm glad that Amaro is gone because that means nore air time for Carisi. Also, the tighter the pants, the better. I have no shame looking for that when the show airs.

• Love 1

Speaking of Carisi . . . I'm sorry, people, but if I feel like I'm being told to like a character just because everyone else is kissing his ass and slobbering all over every.  Single.  Thing.  Ever.  Done.  By him, but not getting a chance to decide for myself . . . then I get tempted to go the other way and dislike or even hate him on principle.  So . . . just saying.  Also, I don't like how they're trying to place him as Rollins's bestie.  Fin should always be in that spot, not this new guy who just showed up last season.

If you consider that this has been happening for all of 7 episodes, when Carisi spent almost the entirety of last season being crapped on by every single character, especially Amaro and Barba but also Rollins and sometimes Benson, it might explain why so many of us are happy to finally watch him be so awesome.

I mean, I hear you; sometimes an overwhelming response by the fans or the characters can make you feel the opposite, but that already happened with Carisi. A lot of people hated him last season, early on at least, and the characters themselves were total dicks to him for so long, and I think that made me like him more because I almost felt defensive over him.

But Carisi had improved greatly by the end of last season, and the writers decided not to have him regress, for which I'm glad. So this season he's been consistently awesome, which has gained him several new fans, I imagine. Except there's a lot of us who already loved Carisi, and we're just loving life right now because we see him fulfilling his potential. That's how I interpret all the love.

Oh and my favourite thing is that Carisi is still Carisi; he still puts his foot in his mouth (unless Fin is there to stop him), he can't work his Apple watch, he can't figure out what 10 weeks means, he buys diaper warming thingies, he never dry cleans his jackets. He's still that guy who brought zeppole on his first day working SVU. But he's more comfortable in the squad now, and he doesn't feel the need to overcompensate.

I think Carisi feels accepted now, and this makes him more relaxed. Add to that the fact that even last season, despite his faults, he was still shown to be smart and to have good instincts, and you can see why he's being so great this season. He was already great, if you ask me (watch the Slenderman episode or the episode with his sister or the one with Robert Vaughn or the one with the little kidnapped boy etc etc), but now that his more annoying qualities have been toned down (realistically, because he's no longer nervous about fitting in and because he now has more experience), he's just full-on amazing.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 7

If you consider that this has been happening for all of 7 episodes, when Carisi spent almost the entirety of last season being crapped on by every single character, especially Amaro and Barba but also Rollins and sometimes Benson, it might explain why so many of us are happy to finally watch him be so awesome.

I mean, I hear you; sometimes an overwhelming response by the fans or the characters can make you feel the opposite, but that already happened with Carisi. A lot of people hated him last season, early on at least, and the characters themselves were total dicks to him for so long, and I think that made me like him more because I almost felt defensive over him.

But Carisi had improved greatly by the end of last season, and the writers decided not to have him regress, for which I'm glad. So this season he's been consistently awesome, which has gained him several new fans, I imagine. Except there's a lot of us who already loved Carisi, and we're just loving life right now because we see him fulfilling his potential. That's how I interpret all the love.

Oh and my favourite thing is that Carisi is still Carisi; he still puts his foot in his mouth (unless Fin is there to stop him), he can't work his Apple watch, he can't figure out what 10 weeks means, he buys diaper warming thingies, he never dry cleans his jackets. He's still that guy who brought zeppole on his first day working SVU. But he's more comfortable in the squad now, and he doesn't feel the need to overcompensate

I think Carisi feels accepted now, and this makes him more relaxed. Add to that the fact that even last season, despite his faults, he was still shown to be smart and to have good instincts, and you can see why he's being so great this season. He was already great, if you ask me (watch the Slenderman episode or the episode with his sister or the one with Robert Vaughn or the one with the little kidnapped boy etc etc), but now that his more annoying qualities have been toned down (realistically, because he's no longer nervous about fitting in and because he now has more experience), he's just full-on amazing.

I agree with all of this. I appreciate Carisi's positivity where the other characters are all pretty dark and cynical. I love the interplay between Carisi and Barba, and I like the partnership with Rollins. Most of all, he brings the humor in a show that was pretty relentlessly miserable for a few seasons. We needed some balance.

• Love 6

Well, maybe if the writers weren't making him be almost everywhere and in almost every single scene, I could take him better.  Even when Rollins and Amaro first arrived, they didn't put them in every scene.

That's why I think Carisi works, though. He's always around (which has been surprising and which I love) but it's never about him. Rollins and Amaro have these intricate backstories, and they did from the start. Carisi has been on the show for one season and a half, and all we know about him is that he goes to night school to get a law degree and he has a lot of sisters. There is zero focus on Carisi, and yet he's always there. I prefer that greatly to random character-centric episodes. He's a strangely adaptable character, and he has established different dynamics with each of the other team members, so he basically fits in every scene. I think this approach works for Carisi (and it certainly works for me).

Especially because, indeed, he's such a refreshingly drama-free character. His presence alone guarantees that an episode won't (just) be a tragic mess.

Plus, if there was less of Carisi, who would get his screentime? Rollins is also there all the time, now that Amaro's gone. I imagine Liv and Fin are on the show exactly as much as Mariska and Ice T want. Barba seems to come and go, he always has. All that's left is the new new guy, and he's getting his share of screentime as well. Carisi is onscreen all the time, along with Rollins, because they're the only available detectives. I do think that Amaro got shafted last season, screentime-wise, but that also could have been at Danny Pino's request, much like his exit (if that is accurate).

Frankly, I think the show overworks Peter Scanavino and Kelli Giddish because they can (PS and KG are less famous, less established, cheaper too, probably). If the new guy sticks around, they'll probably overwork him too.

• Love 8

Carisi's made SVU watchable for me again.

Amen.  I started watching SVU again when Raul Esparza joined the cast, but Carisi (and Peter Scanavino) is such a doll, I'm completely hooked.  I like that so far he doesn't come with issues, with this tragic, dramatic backstory...he's just someone who wants to work hard, do his best, learn like crazy, and he just happens to be absolutely adorable by doing it.

• Love 4
(edited)

Peter Scanavino definitely made the show so much better. I was about to quit watching until he came on. And I absolutely love that he is in many more scenes this season. Plus, how he looks in his tight pants doesn't hurt either.

Edited by Suzy123
  • Love 6

Peter Scanvino turned in an amazing performance in season 14 epi. 13, Monsters. He was so good that I think TPTB decided to sign him up. He is a very talented actor.

This was the episode  that featured Mike Tyson, who did a decent job acting, and Ed Asner who was very creepy ala Sanburg/

Edited by Lillybee

Make room on the Carisi/Peter Scanavino Love Train for me. Carisi made his share of mistakes at first, but he's definitely improved this season, especially in "Patrimonial Burden," whether it was the scenes with the kids, which were adorable or his calling the pedophile perp "a piece of dirt," which is an insult to dirt. Scanavino's hotness doesn't hurt. As far as I'm concerned, Peter Scanavino's one of the best things to happen to this show since Chris Meloni.

• Love 4

Score another SVU actor previously on another branch of the franchise. Peter Scanavino played on the other side of the law in the L&O: CI episode, Diamond Dogs, from Season 5. Mike Logan's premiere episode with his new partner, Carolyn Barek.

So, Raul Esparza, Kelli Giddish, and Scanavino were suspects on CI. Cute bit of irony.

• Love 1

That's why I think Carisi works, though. He's always around (which has been surprising and which I love) but it's never about him. Rollins and Amaro have these intricate backstories, and they did from the start. Carisi has been on the show for one season and a half, and all we know about him is that he goes to night school to get a law degree and he has a lot of sisters. 

Wait, he goes to law school? How did I miss that?  ;)

Wait, he goes to law school? How did I miss that?  ;)

I don't blame you for missing it, it's not like he ever mentions it :)

Seriously though, I do think there's an element of "let's make sure the audience remembers this", especially on an episode where he's working with Barba and a casual viewer might go "what the hell?". Same way they have Dodds Jr. constantly saying "my dad says X,Y,Z", so people don't forget who his dad is. But it also fits with Carisi's overeagerness, and it's kind of hilarious.

I was actually hoping we'd get to hear a little more about it, though, if you can believe that. This week, at least. Does Carisi want to be a lawyer? A prosecutor? Why is he even going to law school? It has to be too time-consuming, not to mention expensive, for it to just be a hobby. I wish he had said something different when Barba joked about him turning to medicine after he passed the bar. At this point, all we know is that he gets, like, REALLY excited when it comes to the law.

• Love 2

I don't blame you for missing it, it's not like he ever mentions it :)

Seriously though, I do think there's an element of "let's make sure the audience remembers this", especially on an episode where he's working with Barba and a casual viewer might go "what the hell?". Same way they have Dodds Jr. constantly saying "my dad says X,Y,Z", so people don't forget who his dad is. But it also fits with Carisi's overeagerness, and it's kind of hilarious.

I was actually hoping we'd get to hear a little more about it, though, if you can believe that. This week, at least. Does Carisi want to be a lawyer? A prosecutor? Why is he even going to law school? It has to be too time-consuming, not to mention expensive, for it to just be a hobby. I wish he had said something different when Barba joked about him turning to medicine after he passed the bar. At this point, all we know is that he gets, like, REALLY excited when it comes to the law.

It's not that uncommon for PD to go to law school at night. Despite what L&OSVU thinks, officers work regular hours (plus overtime). They're union so you couldn't really have them work 24/7. The city I live in has a law school with a night/weekend program. Lots of PD are enrolled. And yes, most have an eye on becoming prosecutors.

• Love 2

I don't exactly know why, how or even when....but Carisi is now my favorite character on this show. Huh. I loves him.

He's mine too! I really hope they don't ruin character like they have everyone else.

Carisi is my favorite character!

Same here! The episodes that feature less Carisi seem boring to me now. He's just the best. His character development has been amazing this season. A lot less bumpy than Season 16. I love how Rollins has really come to trust him, and how even Barba has come to like him a little. And Benson also treats him so well now. Carisi has won everybody over. Including the viewers.

• Love 2

He most definitely hasn´t won me over. I really tried to like him but he can be so annoying at times. Do people really talk like cartoon characters in America? And he should stop fangirling over Barba. It´s pathetic. Or better not interact with him besides cop work at all. And there are people who take it as mutual flirtation. Like how? But not to be all negative he is good detective. 

• Love 1

He most definitely hasn´t won me over. I really tried to like him but he can be so annoying at times. Do people really talk like cartoon characters in America? And he should stop fangirling over Barba. It´s pathetic. Or better not interact with him besides cop work at all. And there are people who take it as mutual flirtation. Like how? But not to be all negative he is good detective. 

I think characters who are on the same show only stop interacting completely when one of them is played by Julianna Margulies.

And I actually used to dislike Barba for the way he was being such an over-the-top dick to Carisi. He's a serious ADA who's like, 50 years old. Does he really have nothing better to do than mess with a 20-something cop who's trying to do a good job? I guess he never heard of being professional? Or being cordial to your colleagues? Eh.

Fortunately, it appears that Barba has seen the error of his ways, so I'm feeling better about him.

I used to say it all the time last season (when everyone was a dick to Carisi), but I seriously think that made the viewers like him more. We tend to get defensive when people come for him. And I also gree with our recapper. The characters sometimes still treat Carisi rudely (Barba being the main culprit), and it's both stale and nonsensical. Carisi has been nothing but nice and supportive to everyone (Rollins, Benson, Barba). You'd have to be nasty to treat him with anything but respect.

• Love 3

Princess Lucky, since when is Barba 50 years old? And Carisi 20-something? Raúl is 45 and Peter 36, there is no reason why would their characters be that much older or younger. But whatever. 

So he is dick to Carisi.. he is annoying and he has no idea when to speak and when to shut up. Big deal. It´s always just a reaction on something stupid Carisi said.

We should agree to disagree about these two. 

Edited by Laethe
  • Love 1

Princess Lucky, for a person who said in different thread that you love Barba you don´t seem like it. And since when is Barba 50 years old? And Carisi 20-something? Raúl is 45 and Peter 36, there is no reason why would their characters be that much older or younger. But whatever. 

So he is dick to Carisi.. he is annoying and he has no idea when to speak and when to shut up. Big deal. It´s always just a reaction on something stupid Carisi said.

Haha, whoa, I didn't realize love for a fictional character is supposed to be unconditional. I can love him and still think he's a dick. Hell, this applies to every single character of SVU. I love Rollins, but oh my God I hate her sometimes. I also love Benson, but she gets on my nerves almost every other week. I loved Stabler, and I still thought he was a violent asshole.

(Except Carisi. My love for Carisi is totally unconditional because he's precious and he's worth it.)

That said, I totally loved Barba in seasons 14 and 15, but when Carisi came along and Barba started being such an ass to my new favorite, it really soured my opinion of him. I still liked Barba in scenes with other characters (for the most part) but I only full-on liked him again this season, when he started being more funny with the teasing, instead of just an asshole. And I have loved Raul Esparza for many years, way before SVU, so my love for him bleeds over to my feelings for Barba a lot, if that makes sense. But Carisi is my favorite character, and every time Barba is a dick to him my love takes a hit.

And I'm fairly sure I read that Carisi was 28 when he first started? It was in a script spoiler I believe? Granted, that could have changed since. I know Peter Scanavino is 35, but he does look younger. I also think Carisi is supposed to be younger than Rollins, even though Scanavino and Giddish are the same age. So if she's 30-something, that would make Carisi early 30s at the most. And I have always assumed Barba is a few years older than Raul because he's supposed to have many years of experience, he's not a rookie ADA like, sorry to even mention her, Kim Greylek. Barba was an ADA in Brooklyn previously. And again to go by comparison, I don't think Barba is supposed to be a lot younger than Benson (unlike Raul who is a bit younger than Mariska).

I still don't see why a 45-year-old would be excused for being unprofessional though, lol.

• Love 2

Well I obviously don´t understand why people love Carisi that much and I won´t be one of them so this is really pointless debate. If Carisi stays as detective and they won´t push him in the legal side of the show I would dislike him lot less. Maybe I´m just bothered by the whole Barisi BS and people saying that he should work with Barba. But that is mostly on tumblr. 

That age reasoning is interesting I didn´t know that. Although Benson is supposed to be 47 so Barba could easily be 45. Who knows. 

I don´t see Barba being unprofessional. He is sassy with everybody, it´s just Carisi who didn´t get the message that he should think before speaking. But it seems that Carisi enjoys being "noticed" by him whatever it takes. 

• Love 1

Well I obviously don´t understand why people love Carisi that much and I won´t be one of them so this is really pointless debate. If Carisi stays as detective and they won´t push him in the legal side of the show I would dislike him lot less. Maybe I´m just bothered by the whole Barisi BS and people saying that he should work with Barba. But that is mostly on tumblr. 

That age reasoning is interesting I didn´t know that. Although Benson is supposed to be 47 so Barba could easily be 45. Who knows. 

I don´t see Barba being unprofessional. He is sassy with everybody, it´s just Carisi who didn´t get the message that he should think before speaking. But it seems that Carisi enjoys being "noticed" by him whatever it takes. 

Wow. I don't read that much into their interactions, I just see them as colleagues. I see Carisi as an aspiring lawyer/prosecutor who's working with his idol. And I don't know how to respond to shipping wars, especially ones that aren't happening here. I'm too old for that shit, lol.

The "thinking before you talk" thing, I think that applied to early Season 16 Carisi. His character development since has been tremendous. He used to be a bit much, but he's improved dramatically since he first came on. And I don't even know why we're talking about Barba specifically. I mentioned Barba, Rollins and Benson in my initial post. I don't see Carisi's behavior toward Barba as being any different. He fangirled over Ellis as well, he clearly fangirls over Benson, he's been supportive of Barba just like he's been supportive of Rollins (moreso, actually, when it comes to Amanda and her baby. Those have been some of his best scenes.). Carisi is a good guy to everybody.

Again, I have to agree with the recaps. Carisi isn't inexperienced anymore. He's a good cop, he's empathetic, he's intuitive, he's hilarious, and he's sweet. Also, he looks amazing in those tight pants he wears. Like, he's my fave. I like nice guys with tasty bodies and great hair. What can I say?

• Love 2

I´m not into shipping wars either. I don´t ship Barba with anybody from this cast. But people being delusional about them being more than colleagues really bother me. I agree that Carisi´s behavior got better this season, I disliked him only in Depravity Standard, 41 Witnesses and previous episode. Last season it was definitely more. 

He could stop fangirling whatsoever if he wants to be taken seriously though. And he maybe stop copying Barba´s clothing choices. Also SVU´s hair department should use lot less hair product. Last episode it was dripping from all Dodds jr., Carisi and Barba. Do I want too much? :) 

Anyway it´s 3am and I´m not native speaker. My grammar is getting worst. I´m done :) 

Princess Lucky, since when is Barba 50 years old? And Carisi 20-something? Raúl is 45 and Peter 36, there is no reason why would their characters be that much older or younger. But whatever. 

Totally agree. I feel like people kind of have a different standard on what's okay to do/say to Carisi compared to anyone else. If Barba were to say things to Olivia that he says to Carisi I have a feeling some would cheer instead of calling it dickish. Carisi IS pathetic and hasn't done anything worthy of praise, IMO.

I was just rewatching Nationwide Manhunt (to get this week's mess of an episode out of my mind) and it occured to me I hadn't posted in this thread about it. The scenes Carisi had with Rudnick, those were some of my favorite character beats this entire season. The way Carisi empathized with a murderer enough to treat him with respect and to want to save his life, but he also made sure to yank his hand away in disgust when he got what he wanted? I didn't see that last part coming at all, but I loved it.

That's what I love about Carisi. He's a character of contradictions, but not an inconsistent character. He's a good person, underneath it all, but he is also strong. That's why I love how he always tries to be there for all the other characters. He was the only one to ask Benson how she was, in that episode. He was the one who could level with Rollins by relating with her but not talking down to her like Benson does.

I think that Carisi is a unique character in that he has created specific, individual bonds with everyone else. His attitude changes, depending on who is his scene partner. He's still demonstrably "Carisi", but he adapts. The others are more set in their characterization Benson, she's the tough boss/tough mother (take that as you will). Rollins, she's the mess. Barba, he's the asshole. No matter who they're interacting with, they mostly act the same (though I do hope we see Benson with Tucker enough to prove me wrong). Carisi always changes it up. He defers to Benson like a loyal subordinate, he shoots the shit with Rollins like a brother, he sasses Barba like a precocious student. He's multi-faceted.

Carisi is just a very dynamic character, and that's why I think he's made the show better. He's not the only one who adapts; he also brings out something different in the characters we know and love. He brings out their funny side. Consider Amanda/Dodds, Benson/Dodds, Benson/Barba, Barba/Dodds, Barba/Rollins. Those dynamics are either nonexistent or boring or overdramatic (with the exception of Benson/Rollins and Fin/Rollins, which I think are awesome in their own ways). Add Carisi and you get something hilarious (like when he called out Olivia for being old) or something adorable (when he held Amanda's baby) or something moving (when he provided emotional support to Amanda when she was in the hospital) or something snarky (when he interacts with Barba).

Carisi does it all, and I'm really happy his role has been significantly increased this season.

• Love 5

While I think you appreciate him more than I do, Princess Lucky, you have beautifully described what I *do* like about Carisi. (I'd amend that I like the Benson/Barba interactions. And I think possibly the only swoon-worthy moment for me with this show was Fin scooping up his partner Amanda after she got shot. (Although it was a bit cheapened for me, because I also felt it was only there to sell us on Fin's guilt or pain, that she was shot because of him, but whatevs.) I think I still like Fin/Rollins the best of all, we just see so little of Fin these days...)

I feel like people kind of have a different standard on what's okay to do/say to Carisi compared to anyone else. If Barba were to say things to Olivia that he says to Carisi I have a feeling some would cheer instead of calling it dickish. Carisi IS pathetic and hasn't done anything worthy of praise, IMO.

While I like Carisi’s character for many of the reasons Princess Lucky listed above, I'm not as enamored of him as some here. My deep, dark, secret UO is that I don't find *any* of the men left on this show particularly physically attractive. (Please don't shoot me, though.) I *do* like that not everyone in a show needs to be a fashion model, and I really *love* that so many people (here at least) seem to find them attractive. It makes me think you're seeing the characters with your hearts more than your eyes, which I find very sympathetic. Frankly, it gives me some hope for humanity, in stark contrast to this show itself. (I mean that in the warmest, fluffiest possible way, and am not trying to be dismissive of assorted crushes. And I do appreciate Carisi's tush and Barba's vests, fwiw.)

So while I don't think I am *more* concerned when somebody in the show kicks Carisi, as opposed to one of the other characters, I would *absolutely agree* that I'd cheer if Barba were to say things to Olivia that he says to Carisi. But. 1) Let's be honest: that's me, being a dick. Olivia bugs me a lot of recent years, and I have a hard time remembering that I used to like her at all, never mind why. 2) Just because I'm being a dick over in my corner cheering, that doesn't mean Barba wouldn't also be a dick for behaving that way. Or that I fail to recognize that fact. And 3) one of my peeves with Barba's character of late is that he *isn't* saying the same kinds of stuff to Carisi *and* Liv and the others, and "just" being a general (universal) ass, but that he picks a doofy harmless guy and is specifically a jerk to him. In some workplaces, that's actionable. In no workplace is that professional.

That said, I had felt that that was also a manipulation on the parts of the writers, and was kind of annoyed. It didn't seem entirely organic to Barba to me, and I had wondered if they were putting Barba in a less favorable light to prop Carisi a bit. So I also really appreciate the part I bolded above, because if that's how you see Sonny, then clearly that's how some people *can* see him, and quite possibly how Barba sees him too, which explains the disdain and makes it a more legitimate character choice. Your opinion helps validate the writing for me, if that makes sense?

Otoh, that's *not* how I see him, and playing devil's advocate and particularly in light of your nick, I can't help but also wonder if some of your disdain isn't caused (in part) by the same reason and annoyance I feel towards the writers? Only where I am directing that towards the behind the scenes folks, you've possibly directed it more towards the character propped at the other's expense? If that were the case, then the Barba character clearly wouldn't have the same motivation, and your opinion of Carisi's character would validate my negativity towards the writers. So bizarrely either way, the fact that we disagree leaves me feeling one of my opinions is right. (Ergo: either the writers or Barba suck.) (And like a good Polyanna, I'm choosing to ignore that it also proves that one of my opinions is wrong. :-))

I also think Benson is a crappy boss for similar reasons (her behavior towards Amanda and Carisi both). Although Amanda does bring some of that on herself, and although I no longer remember the specifics, I have the feeling that most characters on this show have done stuff where IRL I think they should have gotten the boot, or at least serious blowback, I can't remember Carisi doing that (off the top of my head). Was there spmething like that? The Carisi equivalent to Amanda's going rogue?

• Love 2

While I think you appreciate him more than I do, Princess Lucky, you have beautifully described what I *do* like about Carisi.

I would be genuinely astounded if you appreciated Carisi more than I do, krimimimi. I'm pretty sure the only one who appreciates him more than I do is his mother, lol.

On a somewhat unrelated note, it's Peter Scanavino's birthday today! He's a leap year baby, aw.

Ice T just posted an adorable pic!

• Love 3

On a somewhat unrelated note, it's Peter Scanavino's birthday today! He's a leap year baby, aw.

So he really is like 9? Lol! Too funny. So the posts about him Sonny/PS being significantly younger than Barba/RE aren't so off...
  • Love 2

I think the thing with defensiveness of Carasi is that they have shown multiple characters being kind of over-the-top dicks to him for no real reason. I think he was supposed to be a try-hard, but it kind of didn't play to a lot of people because bringing doughnuts on your first day to break the ice, or asking to shadow a DA when you're in law school, or being a cop who shows an interest in FOLLOWING THE LAW isn't really that out there. Maybe not your type, but not horrible either. And then you have everyone falling over themselves to understand Rollins who routinely breaks the law, or Olivia who routinely says really stupid shit(God she's just written as such an idiot half the time) and it just feels weird. Like a school yard bullying situation. I got to the point where I would be sitting there thinking "Ok I get it, you don't like the guy, but could you at least act like a professional adult and just be polite? Also, shut up Olivia.". I think it just wasn't a well written piece of business.

• Love 5
And I'm fairly sure I read that Carisi was 28 when he first started? It was in a script spoiler I believe? Granted, that could have changed since. I know Peter Scanavino is 35, but he does look younger. I also think Carisi is supposed to be younger than Rollins, even though Scanavino and Giddish are the same age. So if she's 30-something, that would make Carisi early 30s at the most.

A pic confirming what I posted above is making the rounds on tumblr. It's an excerpt from the S16 premiere script, which I believe was originally posted on twitter by one of the writers (who often post "script spoilers"):

Carisi really was 28 when he first showed up.

Carisi's description from that script: "28, lanky, awkward grace of an outer borough bruiser"

Sounds about right. And it also sounds like Scanavino really nailed it. Plus, this explains Carisi's initial overeagerness. Like, he was barely out of college (especially cosidering he was still in school). He had barely lived.

Also, it's worth noting that this makes Carisi 30 years old at most. Aw. He's a baby.

• Love 1

Personally, I can't stand Carisi at all. He's annoying, and I don't find him cute. I also don't find him all that young looking, he looks like a typical guy in his mid-late 30's. For me, he has the charisma of a door-knob and I just about want to turn down the volume when he appears on my screen. Worst addition to the cast ever. His over-eagerness is irritating and unprofessional. He's supposed to be 30, and at 30 one is well into adulthood. He shouldn't be behaving like an over-eager teen even if he is "only" 30. Maybe Barba and the rest will treat Carisi with respect when he deserves to be treated with respect. 

• Love 1

Looks like we'll finally be getting another Carisi-centric episode!

Here's the synopsis for episode 19, airing March 30:

Detective Carisi (Peter Scanavino) lives undercover at a homeless shelter to determine if one of its sex offender residents is the suspect in a string of neighborhood rapes. Also starring Mariska Hargitay, Ice T and Kelli Giddish. Guest starring Michael Rapaport, Scott Grimes and Kevin Tighe. Directed by Mariska Hargitay.

I wonder if Carisi will be undercover for much of the episode. The press release does say he 'lives' undercover. If so, that should be interesting. And Mariska is directing, so she might have a lighter workload acting-wise. I suppose it's too much to hope for Carisi in his undercover glasses again, but we are getting an entire episode focused on him so we can't have it all, lol.

I have to say, this season has been surprisingly (and awesomely) Carisi-heavy, and I'm loving every minute of it, but I'm happy we'll get a whole episode to enjoy him in. Last season the Carisi-centric was all about his sister, I'm glad this season it'll be about Carisi himself. Carisi has always been shown as a caring, empathetic person, as someone who always wants to help others. This type of set-up, where he'll have to live with people who are facing adversity, this should give him (and us) a lot of great moments. I can't wait.

• Love 2

Apparently there was a promo for the next episode that aired last night, which can be seen here, and showing this lovely moment for Carisi.

(For the link-phobic, it's a screencap of Carisi holding a rosary like he's praying)

I'm excited but apprehensive. SVU hasn't had the best track record with characters and their faith, but I've been craving more about Sonny's, especially after the Duggar-inspired one and last week.  We've been given some subtle moments, little things like crossing himself at crime scenes, and I want to see how the next episode affects him.  Twice now, he's said that even though there are bad priests/leaders, the Church is still a good place overall, so I'm wondering how what looks like a larger conspiracy will impact him.  If the screencap above is him dealing with it, I pray (*g*) they keep it that same quiet, subtle manner and not a whole "Oh God, why hast thou forsaken me?", rending of garments thing.

• Love 1

Apparently there was a promo for the next episode that aired last night, which can be seen here, and showing this lovely moment for Carisi.

(For the link-phobic, it's a screencap of Carisi holding a rosary like he's praying)

I'm excited but apprehensive. SVU hasn't had the best track record with characters and their faith, but I've been craving more about Sonny's, especially after the Duggar-inspired one and last week.  We've been given some subtle moments, little things like crossing himself at crime scenes, and I want to see how the next episode affects him.  Twice now, he's said that even though there are bad priests/leaders, the Church is still a good place overall, so I'm wondering how what looks like a larger conspiracy will impact him.  If the screencap above is him dealing with it, I pray (*g*) they keep it that same quiet, subtle manner and not a whole "Oh God, why hast thou forsaken me?", rending of garments thing.

I completely agree. Carisi is a very sweet, mellow person. He doesn't have Stabler or even Amaro's anger issues. I'm curious to see how he'll react. Will it be indignation, or pain, or disappointment, or rage?

Whatever it is, it'll be great. Per Warren Leight's twitter:

Saw cut of #UnholiestAlliance today. @mokeefeman and @PeterScanavino in one of the best acting scenes in last 5 years. #SVUReturnsMarch23

(btw, the other actor mentioned, the awesome Michael O'Keefe, plays Father Eugene)

Now I really can't wait. Peter Scanavino has been such a great addition to the cast. He's had a lot of standout scenes, some comedic and some dramatic, and this upcoming episode sounds like it'll be great for him.

And then we have the Carisi-centric episode to look forward to, as well! It's a good time to be a Carisi fan.

• Love 4

This thread deserves a bump up because of how wonderful he was last night!

He's the best thing to happen to the show since they added Finn.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 4

This thread deserves a bump up because of how wonderful he was last night!

He's the best thing to happen to the show since they added Finn.

Quoting this because it applies every week. Carisi was wonderful last night too.

Here's a great interview with Peter about this episode.

This part stood out to me:

Going back to when you first joined the show, you were just coming in for a multi-episode arc. What were those initial conversations with Warren Leight and the writers about this character? Did you have any indication that it might go longer?

When I got the offer, it was three episodes, possibly more. So I definitely made sure when I showed up on my first day that I was not going to be a problem for anyone, that I was going to know all my lines, hit my cues, not ask the writers to change anything. (Laughs.) I showed up ready to work, and fortunately after my first day, they said they were going to give me seven episodes and that progressed pretty quickly that I became a series regular. …

They offered him 4 extra episodes after his first DAY? I mean, of course they did, because he came in with a bang, but still. And then they must have made him a regular very fast, it was announced so early in the season. I'm not surprised. Peter has great chemistry with all the other performers. He livened up the squadroom, and he lacked the macho baggage of most male detectives before him. Plus, his appearance separated him. Unlike the muscular yet stoic Stabler/Amaro, Carisi is a lanky, weird-looking guy who makes funny expressions and moves a lot, all hands and elbows. He popped immediately, even with that mustache (which I still don't understand).

And there was also this:

When did you first realize that Carisi was clicking with viewers? Was there a particular episode or a scene?

I felt like I was settling into who Carisi was in ["Pornstar's Requiem"]. It was about a college student who was doing pornography and she got raped. Then, I started understanding how Carisi was going to be, kind of a no-nonsense but overall extremely empathetic person. That started to really translate to the audience in an episode called "Glasgowman's Wrath," where there was a mentally unstable person who we thought could possibly be the killer and I was able to talk to him and relate to him and I had some very tender scenes with him. That's when fans started to turn and say, "This guy isn’t just a brash guy from Staten Island, but he has a heart and he's able to listen."

I definitely think Glasgowman's Wrath was a turning point. That episode showed us that Carisi has layers. It's easier to accept the quirks when you know there's more to a character, that he's not quirky for the sake of being quirky. Carisi's character development has been the hightlight of the show for me in the past 2 seasons, and I credit Peter Scanavino for it. He never missteps, even when the writers sometimes set Carisi back (in S16 especially). Peter has made Carisi what he is, i.e. the most refreshing and different character on SVU right now.

• Love 2

Quoting this because it applies every week. Carisi was wonderful last night too.

Here's a great interview with Peter about this episode.

This part stood out to me:

They offered him 4 extra episodes after his first DAY? I mean, of course they did, because he came in with a bang, but still. And then they must have made him a regular very fast, it was announced so early in the season. I'm not surprised. Peter has great chemistry with all the other performers. He livened up the squadroom, and he lacked the macho baggage of most male detectives before him. Plus, his appearance separated him. Unlike the muscular yet stoic Stabler/Amaro, Carisi is a lanky, weird-looking guy who makes funny expressions and moves a lot, all hands and elbows. He popped immediately, even with that mustache (which I still don't understand).

And there was also this:

I definitely think Glasgowman's Wrath was a turning point. That episode showed us that Carisi has layers. It's easier to accept the quirks when you know there's more to a character, that he's not quirky for the sake of being quirky. Carisi's character development has been the hightlight of the show for me in the past 2 seasons, and I credit Peter Scanavino for it. He never missteps, even when the writers sometimes set Carisi back (in S16 especially). Peter has made Carisi what he is, i.e. the most refreshing and different character on SVU right now.

Glasgowman's Wrath was when I truly fell in love with him.  The empathy he has is amazing.  And it's real.  There were times Stabler or Amaro tried to do it but it was usually undercut with some sort of weird "rage" thing.  Carisi generally wants to see people as people.  I think it was really evident in his dealings with Rudnick as well, and Doug the alcoholic in "Forty-One Witnesses."  Even last week with Father Eugene (my GOD that dialogue they gave him was horrible....but he acted the CRAP out of it).  He's the kind of detective that I believe in real life would get really far.  He just has a way of making people comfortable.    

• Love 2

Carisi is totally growing on me. I thought he was kind of a boring cop cliche and suck-up at first, but his role has developed a lot more layers this season. He's one of the good guys, but without the Taking It Personally testosterone drama of Stabler and Amaro.

Also, he looks really good in vests.

• Love 3

Here is my problem with Carisi.

When you write a character, there is one thing that needs to happen every single time.

And that is for the character to have a unique purpose to the story. That purpose doesn’t need to be good, and it doesn’t have to be the entirety of the character (indeed, it SHOULDN’T be). But it needs to be there. There needs to be one or more things one can point at and say yes, that is what the character does. (And I don’t mean their literal job, either. I mean a role for the story.)

For this show, it’s easy to think of for most of the characters. The ADAs are traditionally the ones to challenge to detectives to find more, usually being the catalyst for whatever twist the episode may introduce. George Huang was there to help the viewers understand what was going on in a perp’s head, and sometimes to introduce moral issues if a perp had a mental illness or vulnerability. The various leaders of course were there to make four detectives a cohesive team. Etc, etc. For our current team, we have Olivia, who is there to provide sympathy as well as leadership; Amanda, who is the… slightly unhinged one (I will be the first to admit that I hate that that’s her role), and Barba, who is there to provide the traditional ADA’s push mentioned above. Two characters lack a defined purpose, Fin, and Carisi. With Fin, that lack of purpose can be overlooked because he is so thoroughly in the background, and once, he did have a proper role as well.

But then we have Carisi, who the writers appear to be trying every single possible role on to the point that he has NO role because of it.

At first, he did have a purpose. One, his awkwardness was the source of comic relief, at a time when it was needed due to losing the old comic relief, Munch. Two, there was his incompetence in the department. It had been mentioned that he had worked two or three boroughs before and been passed like a hot potato due to this, and his lack of sensitivity caused Olivia much frustration as well. However, this was a vehicle to stress the point the writers wanted to make. It was perhaps overdone and hamfisted to have a clueless character as an excuse for exposition, but it was a clear role nonetheless. (I did still dislike the character, granted.)

But then, after Nick left, the writers realized they had a huge black hole in their roster. Danny Pino brought great amounts of magnetism to the cast, and without him there was just something missing. So they felt the need to shift the roles a little.

And Carisi, instead of one or a few Things to do, ended up with like twenty.

Baby expert and confidant for Rollins (by way of one niece born a few months earlier… but nevermind that)! Overnight legal expert in criminal law to compensate for when Barba is absent! Perfect human who never makes a single mistake in order to gain the audience’s sympathies! Ace to whoever needs anything from advice to blood!

See the problem?

Carisi has so many things that he doesn’t have one. He’s a blank slate, what the writers need at that particular moment, and that’s it. He is a male equivalent of the dreaded Mary Sue.

Yes, a Mary Sue. According to Wikipedia, a Mary Sue is “an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment.”

That is Carisi. (Well, perhaps minus the wish fulfillment- I have no idea what the writers want to be like.) He doesn’t do anything consistently- doesn’t provide a vehicle for exposition, doesn’t provide comic relief (because jokes at his expense are too mean anymore for His Royal Highness, King Dominick the Second). He doesn’t provide the emotion Nick Amaro did. The only thing we can argue he brings is estrogen bait, which isn’t enough. A female there only to titillate male viewers is superfluous, and so is a male there only to titillate female viewers.

I think what really and truly settled Carisi’s Mary Sue status was that moment when he donated blood for Mini Dodds. Now don’t get me wrong, donating blood is a beautiful thing to do. I do it whenever I can. So what’s the problem, you ask?

Simple. Hospitals store enough blood for dozens, maybe hundreds of people to get transfusions if needed. Mini Dodds alone wouldn’t necessitate new blood. Even if he did for some reason, Carisi’s donation would have taken longer to process than Mini Dodds lived after the surgery.

In short? The writers bent the laws of reality for Carisi, simply to show how Literally Selfless and Perfect he is. This is a defining characteristic of Mary Sues.

Carisi is an exaggerated, laughable (though the writers don’t realize this) character. He has no defined role or contribution. He’s just there to be “cute” and, again, attract fangirlish attention to his shallow, perfect character.

Think about it. When was the last time we were shown Carisi’s flaws? When was the last time someone got mad at or corrected him without us being expected to side against them? I can’t even remember. This is yet another defining Mary Sue trait.

The problem with Carisi, as well as other Mary Sues, is that they don’t do anything for the story; they only do things to satisfy the author. Which is fine and well in a thirteen year old girl’s Harry Potter self-insert fanfiction, but not on a TV show that makes millions of dollars a year. They should be able to write far better for what they’re getting paid.

Mary Sues are utter black holes of creativity, and Carisi is no different, I’m sad to say.

• Love 2