Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E09: The Guy Who Wows Betsey Johnson

I really miss the days when this show occasionally had the photographers as guest judges so that they could provide important input regarding how the shoot went. Mirjana and probably Lennox would have gotten super low scores.

I loved how Kelly criticized Shei's "look" as looking like a wig, as if the poor girl had any fucking control of it. TYRA chose her dumb hair style, REMEMBER?!

• Love 1

I really hate this social media scoring crap.

Me too.  It feels like it's kind of meaningless.  We don't see what pictures the social media is scoring necessarily, and it's so arbitrary.  The judges' scores don't seem to be consistent either; one of them will pick apart something, and give an 8; and in the next breath, say approximately the same comments and give a 6.  Tyra votes last, so seems to adjust her number so that the person she wants to have a low score will have a low score.  

I think it was kind of assery to pull out the top girl and the top guy, announce that they're going to Korea; and THEN announce that oh gee, (not) sorry to get your hopes up, there's only one ticket.  That's ignorant.  Why frickin' bother to do it that way if you aren't giving both a chance?  (plus, we have NO clue what the social media vote voted on these eliminated contestants, or what they voted ON.  The judges apparently have no say in it at all, but they should have)

I think it was kind of assery to pull out the top girl and the top guy, announce that they're going to Korea; and THEN announce that oh gee, (not) sorry to get your hopes up, there's only one ticket.  That's ignorant.  Why frickin' bother to do it that way if you aren't giving both a chance?  (plus, we have NO clue what the social media vote voted on these eliminated contestants, or what they voted ON.  The judges apparently have no say in it at all, but they should have)

ANTM pulled the same stunt last season, so Ben and Chantelle probably figured it was going to happen again - both because of last season and because Tyra has always said "one of you" when mentioning the comeback possibility each week. I remember thinking they didn't seem surprised.

And we do know what the social media is voting on - both because of last season and because Tyra explained it again at least once or twice this season. The eliminated contestants continue to do the photo shoots with the rest of the contestants and those photos continue to be submitted to social media to vote on (which is how ANTM can put up the photos in advance of the season, since otherwise people could tell from week to week who had been eliminated). Then the social media scores from the entire season to date get added up and whoever has the highest cumulative score gets back in.

I've been lurking here, reading these forums, and thought heck - why not join in the fray?

I swore to myself that I would NOT watch this show anymore, seeing as how it has become a debacle in several degrees of stupidity, and yet I still find myself tuning into this show on my phone when I'm doing something, and being appalled at the hilarity of it all.

I can remember when ANTM was, somewhat, professional. It's always had some level of silliness, but past photoshoots and contestants did not appear to be snatched directly off the casting call clearance rack. None of these people have any chance in hell of becoming models. Too tall, too short, weird figures, funny faces, stank attitudes. I thought Tyra was supposed to be all about ethics or whatever it was she was harping on way back when she had T-Zone? It seems like somebody always got a cup with some alcoholic drink swimming inside it. That ain't Kool Aid or Tropical Punch, y'all. I can count the number of times I have seen Shei with a FULL glass of red wine. Seriously?

I'm waiting for somebody to turn yellow from jaundice.

Denzel is gone now, yay, but I wish they had attached Marijauna Jane in that package, too. These two are reaching a level of hilarity which Tiffany "New York" Pollard achieved on Flavor of Love. Mirjana claims to have a boyfriend (or something) at home, and yet she didn't care about jumping in a bed with Matthew, and now Denzel?

And yes, Denzel, your biceps are too big for an average working male model. Plus, he has a pea-head - did anyone notice that during the runway casting? He looked like a Lego doll or something, even though he has a pretty good walk, which I give to him. Comparatively, Adam looked like he was put on a double dosage of Cymbalta, and Will walks like a dancer, which isn't the same as a runway. I found him underwhelming; he needs to work on having more of a presence. I can't remember if Keith was in this episode or not. He's pretty boring to me, so I just sort of forget he's there.

As for the girls, I like Raelia, but she does this weird squiggly-wiggly thing with her shoulders which causes her breasts to do interesting manuevers on her chest. Shei has the right face and good proportions, but I can hear the first thing any major agent will tell her - you need a little more muscle tone, and quit the drinking. By normal street standards, she has a gorgeous body. But even Jourdan had to shed a few pounds on an already lanky, lean frame - that's just the industry standard now, unfortunately.

• Love 4

Yeah, that happened in cycle 3, when that one girl (I forget her name...) everybody was saying had anorexia told Tyra she was drinking protein shakes to try and gain weight. Tyra was like, I didn't get this booty by drinking protein shakes!!!!!!!! I got it eating RIBS!!! or something.

Well, Your Tyness, not everybody has magical caterers to bring out a large amount of ribs whenever they feel like eating ribs. Sometimes protein shakes are just more convenient for the common folk.

THAT was it!

I'm sure Tyra's ass didn't just evolve from ribs.

Anyway, I did like Shei's runway. I agree with the others who complimented her runway walks. Hopefully, her pictures get better. She was one of my early favorites.

I was pleased to see Shei break out of the pack. I hope she continues to do well. Would be great to see an Asian American win. At first I thought her "TyOver" was just offensively and lamely derived from orientalized imagery but I noticed how outstanding she's been looking since that shoot where she was comforting a crying Lenox. 

I want to Ben to leave again.

Edited by anonymiss

Based on comments Shei and other contestants have made, she's had better pictures.  But let's be real, at this juncture in the show's tenure, is anyone really surprised that we aren't seeing the contestants' best pics?  Just as Tyra adjusts her score based on the other judge's scores, remember, that Tyra chooses which pictures are shown at panel.  She always has.  It's her way of trying to get the result she wants.  So it doesn't matter what the folks on set say or the the contestants, if Tyra wants a janky pic because she's trying to manipulate the results, that's what the audience is going to see.  It should be pretty obvious based on some of the dead weight being carried around that Tyra wants drama and a male winner this cycle no matter what.

As for Shei and the wine, Matt mentioned weeks ago in an interview that alchohol is the one item they can get 24/7.  If they want food, laundry or cleaning supplies, toiletries, they have certain days for each of those things but alchohol they'll give them whenever they want.  Also, they haven't focused on fitness on this show since the first couple of cycles so as far as anyone staying in shape, that's not going to happen either.

OH! And how could we forget the HILARIOUS and far-reaching comparison between SOUL food....And SEOUL Korea? I could not. stop. laughing! Tyra is so batshit insane, I absolutely love it. 

Seriously. I have no experience with actual Asia, but I remember a friend who went over to Seoul to teach for a while telling me about a conversation he had with some Koreans about North American food, and he said the growing look of horror as he talked about bacon and hamburgers and donuts and fried chicken, and various other things that could be considered "traditional" North American food as much as anything really can be was hilarious. So to juxtapose "soul food" with "Seoul food" is pretty damn funny.

Also, it seems to me that we just saw Chantelle and Ben's social media scores, right? So doesn't that mean that if one cared enough, one could rewind just a bit, see those scores, and know immediately which one of them was higher? Or is there some other element I'm missing?

• Love 2