Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E09: The Guy Who Wows Betsey Johnson

Miss J gives some select models a private runway session to prepare them for Fashion Week, where they are challenged to book fashion shows with different designers, including Betsey Johnson. Later, a hair product photo shoot leads to harsh words and flaring tempers.

I was going to flip my shit if Lenox left before Denzel.

He was doing nothing in his photo, looked like he was caught in the corner and Tyra still flips out over it. Kelly is a bitch, but she is right about most of the contestants. Mirjana deserved to get the boot too by talking back and over the photographer. The fact that he flipped on her the way he did at the shoot? Ten seasons ago, that would have meant something to Tyra. 

I'm really happy for Will.  He looked great on the runway and amazing in his photo.  Also glad to see the end of Denzel.  He was a waste of screen time.

I just can't figure out why they are torturing Lennox.  I don't understand all of these supposed inconsistencies in her and why they keep harassing her.  They criticized her runway walk as being stiff, but she did EXACTLY what the designer asked her to do. 

I though Marjana had a terrible walk.  I think the designer felt sorry for her.  She sucks overall. 

• Love 4

I will say that Denzel's big muscles were good for one thing--lifting Shei up in this poorly conceived photoshoot. Seriously, no other guys were able to keep the girls aloft. I would rather mean Mirjana be going home, but I'll settle for dead-eyed Denzel.

Lennox and Mirjana's walks are pretty bad.

I guess Ben was the best of a bad lot; right height and size. Matt is too tall, Kari was ruined by her Ty-over, Chantelle has limited appeal, and Ivy is a model shaped dead space.

• Love 4

What crazy erratic judging.

Lenox is T2 for 5 of these weeks, but bottom 2 the other 2? It kinda seems like a way for Tyra to try to justify not giving her the title at the end like "See sometimes she sucks a lot and she's lucky she stayed...even though she dominated most of the time." 

• Love 3

I actually loved this episode. And I loved the photo shoot.

Mostly, I just loved Will. I am always happy to see ANYBODY talk crap to Mirjana. And he rocked this photo shoot. His best picture was well deserved.

Shei was my favorite of the girls this episode. I am annoyed by the picture they chose of her at panel. She seemed to be doing incredibly well at the shoot. I bet there were some great pictures of her but they chose a poor one. Maybe it was to help Denzel but I bet ALL his pics were bad. They find a pic where Denzel looks somewhat decent and in doing that they had to choose the one where Shei didn't look so good. She looked AMAZING on the runway challenge. She is becoming my favorite.

Lennox is beautiful. But she gets on my nerves sometimes. I don't see where the judges hate her at all. She's gotten best picture three times in a row. If they hated her they would come up with a reason to put her in second place instead of giving her first. They gush over her when she does something great.

But when she gets annoying and starts pouting and resisting they refuse to coddle her. And good for them.

As soon as she is out of her comfort zone she resists and stops trying. Her attitude is what kept her from doing well. I think Lennox could have rocked this photo shoot if she had adjusted her attitude. This shoot was hers for the taking. Lennox really does have the best hair in the competition.

I was really hoping Matt would be the one to make it back into the competition.

I know he is too tall but dammit he is so beautiful. And a wonderful person as well.

• Love 7

So Tyra's "turban" was weak and is Tyra criticizing someone making up a word?  Girl, no.  And the Keith love is so blatant.

I can sort of see why Lenox is getting scored like she is.  Tyra doesn't like that she doesn't try even if what they want her to try is silly.

As much as Mirjana bugs, I really don't appreciate Keith and Will using the "b" word.  And girl, don't nobody want Denzel except you, who thankfully, finally, got the boot and a long time coming it was.  The whole shedding some muscle thing, okay, if this show still cared about the health and fitness of the models, it wouldn't sound so ridiculous.  They haven't paid any attention to fitness since what, C2 or C3?  Not that Denzel thinks he needs to lose any weight but maybe he can do fitness since he knows better?

Chantelle, I sort of understand but derpy-face Ben?  Whatever, since we know the comeback kid won't win.

• Love 2

I'm in love with Will. I can't believe how much better his walk has gotten! And he brings fierce to each photo. 

Shei looked amazing on the runway! I wish she took better photos.  

Bye, Denzel. Take Marjana next, please. 

I really don't care who comes back because I want Will to win, so the rest are just fodder. 

• Love 6

I felt a little sorry, but not much, for Denzel in the casting process because he had a double disadvantage going in: most runways don't cast multiple black models and Keith is obviously superior to him(you saw the same thing last season with Cory and Don being in direct competition with each other for a slot in runways). I find it a bit hard to gauge male model's walks, the expected type of walk seems to be 'guy on horse tranquilizers' so they never look that great to me. With girls you get more variety and I thought Shei was really amazing at it, Raelia was pretty good to when she wasn't making a huge stupid mistake. And geeesh, all the clothes they had to model were tacky, it looked like the dumpster behind RuPaul's Drag Race vomited.

While I understand that the Challenge scores can't imbalance the overall score too much, it does seem weird to me that the difference between 'didn't book anything' and 'booked something' is only one point, considering how poorly being unable to book a show looks when your job is to book shows.

I found the shoot weird. Especially since the fan vote is on a entirely different photo(and I noticed they didn't show Raelia/Will's, maybe because they didn't want to show how abominable Will's is compared to the photo the judge's got to use). I wasn't fond of any of the photos, though Will/Raelia's definitely stood out(both went a little into the 'model camp' look with Raelia channeling Marilyn Monroe and Will channeling Zoolander, but hey that is still more striking than the nothing everyone else was doing). I really don't understand the concept of separate photos for judges and social media vote, since the quality difference between the photos was pretty big, with IMO the social media photos overall being much better for most of the contestants.

I'm so happy to see Denzel gone. He was just.. blah on every level. As for the comeback model.. Chantelle is actually easily the best model of the season, so obviously she isn't coming back. Which i'm cool with, she does awesome work off the show but wasn't terrible notable as a reality TV contender. Ben is good eye candy and this show desperately needs eye candy to remain watchable.

Edited by snakenax
  • Love 2

I was going to flip my shit if Lenox left before Denzel.

He was doing nothing in his photo, looked like he was caught in the corner and Tyra still flips out over it. Kelly is a bitch, but she is right about most of the contestants. Mirjana deserved to get the boot too by talking back and over the photographer. The fact that he flipped on her the way he did at the shoot? Ten seasons ago, that would have meant something to Tyra. 

I was crossing my fingers that Mirjana and Denzel would be sent home in a double elimination.

I liked Miss J showing up for a runway teach, even though only three of the contestants got to benefit from it.

I was really hoping that someone would fall on the runway. Boo.

I, too, was shocked that the designer flipped on Mirjana about her on-set attitude and it didn't get back to Tyra. She loves those moments so that she can tear down the contestant at panel about having an unprofessional attitude.

• Love 1

OH! And how could we forget the HILARIOUS and far-reaching comparison between SOUL food....And SEOUL Korea? I could not. stop. laughing! Tyra is so batshit insane, I absolutely love it. 

• Love 7

Hands to God, when they wheeled out the soul food,  I am thinking, "show has gotten so low budget, the trip is to South Carolina!!"  wish it had been Matthew instead of Ben, god i love him.  But Ben's okay too.

Didn't Tyra lose weight 2 years ago after she made a big stink over the media calling her fat?  man she has gained it ALL back. She should look at her back view before walking onto set.  Most people don't-- the back of my hair always looks like some kind of shrub, but I never care because i don't see it.

For the 1st time I noted the social media scores of each model as they were presented, except for Denzel and lennox. Do you realize Mirjana has the highest social media score 7.8?  i guess there are alot of stank attitude, negative, blaming, rough talking girls out there that relate.  I don't think voters to this show are sitting in lounges at Harvard and MIT.

Adam's social media score is the lowest.  How is he still here--he has such legs and he isn't providing drama anymore?  Shei had one of the best runways I've seen on this show but she's just not photogenic, her face is too flat or something.  I guess you can't make a living from runway alone?

I shall always love Miss J and her antics.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2

I know, Zima. When she started on about the soul food I knew it meant they were about to announce where the models were going, usually an overseas location, but this time, I was all "OMG this show is so low rent now that they're going "down south" as their overseas trip?" then I laughed my ass off so hard it took quite some time to register that she was going with a soul/Seoul connection. OMG Tyra, don't ever change. You're crazy girl.

Not much to say about anything else. I'm just watching now because it was on and I've come this far. I wish Marjana wasn't such a hateful bitch because girl is stunning in photos but yeah, her personality has ruined it. Bye Denzel. Already forgot you but I will never be able to bleach the memory of that horrible chin wig out of my brain no matter how hard I try. What I don't get is why they made him keep wearing it in shoots. In still photography it looked even worse than in moving shots. He looked halfway decent with the little attempt at a goatee he had going. So why make him wear that thing when it felt like Tyra wanted him to stay. I would get it if they put it on Lennox, because it just seems clear Tyra hates her and wants her gone, but I felt like Denzel, along with Keith, were her chosen two. Moreso Denzel because of the ridiculous Deriana relationship that brought her beloved DRAMA!!! Oh well, still don't care who wins, who looses or who gets eaten by a crocodile. I wish Matthew had come back though. That is the only thing I am disappointed about. He is my reality TV dream crush right now.

• Love 3

For the 1st time I noted the social media scores of each model as they were presented, except for Denzel and lennox. Do you realize Mirjana has the highest social media score 7.8?  i guess there are alot of stank attitude, negative, blaming, rough talking girls out there that relate.  I don't think voters to this show are sitting in lounges at Harvard and MIT.

Given that this was her photo that social media voted on:

antm_2109_marjana_077_v1_vh.11defb25.jpg

Not that surprising.

Both Adam's photo with Lenox, as well as his individual photo that social media voted on, were pretty bad, at least in my opinion.  He continues to have the 'pairs skater promotional photo' look:

antm_2109_adam_489_v1_vh.f316286c.jpg

• Love 4

I'd love to see revised fan votes now that Mirjana has been airing.  With Denzel gone (and no face off between the two- what a frickin' waste) I'm now concerned that she'll be the ultimate victor in this game, or runner up.  Something about her today reminded me of Eva way back when, though I actually liked Eva.  She takes good pictures, she just has to let Tyra break down that tough exterior.  Denzel gave us a hint about that storyline by mentioning anger from pain, or whatever. 

I didn't realize the fan voted photos were that different.  Isn't there some kind of game show authenticity rule that prevents that?

It was so refreshing to see normal runway.  Made it feel like a modeling competition for a few minutes.

The only other thing I really took from this episode- the fixation on Mirjana and Denzel has me liking all the remaining contestants.  I don't really know Shei or Raelia at all.  Or Keith, for that matter.  Lennox's flaw is that she gets embarrassed with things that are more sexual, which is kind of endearing.  Will could be annoying, but not in the presence of the two screentime-dominators.  Same with Adam, though he's toned himself down.  Point is, I'm curious to see what happens now.  It's like the real show is about to start.

• Love 2

Do you realize Mirjana has the highest social media score 7.8?

The fan vote is based solely on photos, not personality. Also it's per photo(I'm not sure how the comeback score is calculated, given IIRC all the possible comeback people generally had a higher score than they showed there).

Well except for Adam, who had the disadvantage of having his dirty laundry ready to consume pre-show(I'm not saying his photos are great, because they ain't, but 'hot guy' usually has enough power with the fan vote to keep them from being the lowest scorer). Though I did like Adam's fan  vote photo this shoot, it looks like a actual catalog shot to me. Which isn't necessarily flattering, catalog shots are generally stiff and boring looking but hey it's nice to have a shot that looks like /something/.

Edited by snakenax

I'm happy they tossed Denzel, but those "bookings" were SO contrived! He is not that much more muscular than either Keith or Adam, and Adam's height would be more of a concern for a runway fitting than shoulder/arm width (though they did manage to give Adam wanna-be capris), so I firmly believe that his scowling commentary in the audience and the drama with Mirjana was what they settled for. I'm hoping we see a Mirjana Meltdown next week as she faces a couple of nights without a man! It could be like detoxing!

I wasn't that wild about Will's photos, but his walk improved. I see a hint of mean girl/bully just beneath the surface there. He needs to check himself while he's on camera.

Shei's ridiculous hair color actually looked good twice in the episode (first runway and the photoshoot)! Surprised Tyra didn't congratulate herself.

• Love 2

I think they need to do these kinds of glamour shots all the time because they actually kind of looked like models this week.

Talk about 'same look'. Running through Denzel's portfolio it's clearly he has almost no range.

Tyra? How are you letting them eat soul food? Even for a few minutes? I do not understand how they keep their figures with the way they eat and drink.

Yay! Ben is almost back! Please let it be Ben!

For the individual shots the only ones I like are Raelia and kind of Will. Everyone else is either doing something weird or boring or just doesn't look like a model. 

Edited by aradia22

So Tyra's "turban" was weak and is Tyra criticizing someone making up a word? 

lol thank you! I was thinking the same thing. What was it, a couple of seconds after she was complaining about "conversate" that the screen popped up with "tooch booch" on it? I couldn't stop laughing.

• Love 5

I really don't understand the concept of separate photos for judges and social media vote, since the quality difference between the photos was pretty big, with IMO the social media photos overall being much better for most of the contestants.

I'm guessing it was to keep spoilers at a minimum.  Since they only paired the models with models who were there, it would have been more obvious as to who had been eliminated up to this point.  Like, let's say they had paired Ivy with Ben.  Well, anybody who voted probably would have caught on that Ben and Ivy were both in the elminated camp as soon as Ivy was out.

There were also an uneven number of models with Romeo's departure, so that could have been a factor as well.  Romeo didn't participate in any of the shoots after he was removed (again, I'm not sure how bapping somebody with your head when he won't stop touching you/instigating is grounds for removal when unsolicited dickpunching ISN'T, but ok).

Or it could have just been that the photos they did do were such a grueling undertaking that they just said "fuckit" and made everybody take solos rather than go to the trouble of making all the losers take the pairs shots.

He is not that much more muscular than either Keith or Adam

He's not that much more muscular in general but his arms are incredibly disproportionate to his body.  Watch the scene where he's lying on top of Mirjana and Will is about to vomit as a result.  His biceps are huge.  A jacket that would fit his torso probably isn't going to fit his arms.  Keith and Adam are also muscular but they're much more proportional to themselves.  Even if Adam is too damn short to model, it's easier to get him a different length of pants and look okay than it is to give Denzel an ill-fitting jacket.  He would need tailoring.

I have a similar problem because I have big arms but no torso or chest, and most women's shirts that fit me in the arms are hugely baggy elsewhere.

Also I am at the point where if anybody other than Shei, Will, or Lenox wins, I will throw things.

Edited by belligerent
  • Love 4

How would that work?  Aren't these social media scores computed just based on the pictures, MONTHS before the show even starts airing?  What Mirjana is like in still pictures doesn't really reveal the ugly stank version of her we get in motion.

• Love 1

I might be out of my league here, but then again, I've never visited South Korea.

Do they wear turbans there? I wouldn't have associated that accessory with SK. I get the play on "soul food" as Seoul.

I shouldn't overthink Tyra. I'd probably wind up in an institution.

• Love 2

When Mirjana was standing next to Shei, Raelia & Lenox, it further highlighted how not a model she is. She has a nice face but her body proportions are not model like with the tiny shoulders and wide (relatively) hips. She is basically pear shaped. And I swear I saw a little pooch there. Her legs also looked incredibly short in her photo. I feel for that poor photographer who finally hit his limit and snapped at her.

Tyra finally got it right when she gave Adam a buzz cut. I found him incredible unattractive with his long hair but now he looks hot. When he ran his fingers over his buzz cut... hmmm.

It seems like people love Shei in person. Those CW people, that Nylon guy and booking all 3 shows. Unfortunately she's not very photogenic. In person she's youthful and fresh-faced. Also another successful make over.

Shei appears to rock the runway but not photos.  Lennox looks great in photos (except when being forced to pose with useless Adam) but is not the greatest on the runway.  I think it will come down to Keith and Will in the end, as they appear to do quite well in both runway and in print.  I don't see the appeal of Raelia.... all I could think of when she was stomping down the runway was, "girl needs a good bra"!  Adam and Marjana - just no.  No to the two potential returning models too.  Chantelle has never looked like a model to me and doesn't take great pictures.

• Love 1

I'm glad Shei won. She looked the best on the runway. I agree that she's not very photogenic; maybe she'll be one of those that goes on to book a lot of runway after the show, but won't be in magazines or ads. I also like that she really doesn't give a shit that Mirjana was jealous; I even think she might have been flirting with Denzel intentionally to piss Mirjana off. Love it. She also was the only woman to really figure out how to be carried, and picking her up was all that Denzel was good for.

Good riddance to Denzel. I hope Mirjana flames out now that he's gone and there's no boy to hang off of. Wasn't she just telling her real-life boyfriend that she was done messing around behind his back? I'm glad that an anti-Mirjana coalition is coalescing, but considering the way she blames others for her failures, I anticipate that having everyone around her won't make her reflect very much on how she sucks as a person.

I'm stunned that Ben beat out Matthew. I honestly don't understand that at all. Ben has had a few good shots, but so has Matthew, and I find Matthew to be far more attractive than Ben. I think Chantelle is going to be the one, anyway, but I really wanted more Matthew on my screen.

• Love 2

I'm stunned that Ben beat out Matthew. I honestly don't understand that at all. Ben has had a few good shots, but so has Matthew, and I find Matthew to be far more attractive than Ben.

I much prefer Matthew to Ben, as well, but most of the people who voted on the photos are probably 12 year old girls, and beards haven't really caught on with that segment of the population yet, unfortunately.  Ben has stubble sometimes but that's different.  He looks "younger" and more "all American."  Matthew has been kind of played up as this exotic "euro model" which you may have to be a little older to appreciate. 

I also think that if the social media had been allowed to vote on the pairs pictures (Will x Matthew) for the spider commercial instead of individual, or if they'd chosen one of the more sexually-charged shots from the Corybot shoot (there were some where Matthew was really up in Cory's business), his scores on those pics would have shot up and it might have given him a boost overall. 

Edited by belligerent
  • Love 1

I seriously thought Mirjana was going to be sent home after her outburst with the photographer but at least Denzel was eliminated so I am not too disappointed. I don't think Mirjana is long for this competition anyway. She is probably one of the most stank hamsters to appear on the show in a while, with the last one being Angelea. Shei looks gorgeous on the runway. Wish she can take better photos though. Will is really improving and I think he may be the one to beat. I would love to see a photoshoot with him and C15 Ann who is similarly tall and skinny. I too thought Matthew would be coming back since he is more modelesque than dorky Ben, but I think Chantelle will be the one to win the comeback vote. Tyra's turban is hideous! At least there was not super stereotypical announcement of the Asian overseas destination like they did with the samurai and king fu fighters for the Japan and China cycles.

• Love 1

Now that I think about it, Shei's pictures in the Nylon photo shoot were really good.  Maybe she can do well in photos with the right photographer.  Perhaps she only does badly in the stupid, insane shoots that Tyra sets up for the hamsters, when they probably pick the worst photos.

• Love 1

Of course Tyra couldn't resist bragging about her first fashion week in Paris at age 17 where she booked EVERY runway show because she studied the designers and gave different walks.

Tyra can do anything, and HAS done everything, don't you know?  

It's a bird(brain), it's a plane... it's... SUPER TYRA!

p5OR5g4.jpg

• Love 4

Of course Tyra couldn't resist bragging about her first fashion week in Paris at age 17 where she booked EVERY runway show because she studied the designers and gave different walks.

Wait. Wasn't that the same show she was supposed to walk in, but was sent home immediately? Or am I thinking of another show?

Also Tyra talking about ribs during their nosh session made me think of that one Cycle were she wouldn't believe that one of the contestants was naturally on the skinny side. Tyra couldn't resisting poking fun by saying the reason she looks good and has a booty is because she eats ribs. Anyone else remember that?

Edited by Surrealist

Also Tyra talking about ribs during their nosh session made me think of that one Cycle were she wouldn't believe that one of the contestants was naturally on the skinny side. Tyra couldn't resisting poking fun by saying the reason she looks good and has a booty is because she eats ribs. Anyone else remember that?

Yeah, that happened in cycle 3, when that one girl (I forget her name...) everybody was saying had anorexia told Tyra she was drinking protein shakes to try and gain weight. Tyra was like, I didn't get this booty by drinking protein shakes!!!!!!!!  I got it eating RIBS!!! or something. 

Well, Your Tyness, not everybody has magical caterers to bring out a large amount of ribs whenever they feel like eating ribs.  Sometimes protein shakes are just more convenient for the common folk.

Bye Denzel. Already forgot you but I will never be able to bleach the memory of that horrible chin wig out of my brain no matter how hard I try.

I don't understand why Tyra just didn't ask Denzel to grow a beard?! They could have used the merkin until he grew a decent enough one; or maybe that was the problem?

I really wish he coudl've taken Mirjana with him.

• Love 1

I thought it was hilarious when Tyra mentioned her own experience booking 527 shows and how she did a different walk for every designer.  Then, in the clips they showed as an example of that, she was doing exactly the same walk each time!  That did make me laugh.  Oh Tyra, you're so full of it.

• Love 2
I was really hoping Matt would be the one to make it back into the competition.

Ditto here.

But Ben was a decent second-choice; he brings some of the pretty back into the competition, at least.

While Adam doesn't have a chance in hell of winning (even with Tyra CLEARLY angling for a man to win after last seasons debacle!), I"m enjpying seeing his slow evolution, and he's just so pretty in his photo-shoots!

With Denzel (and his fake-ass "Beard Weave") gone, I now have to roll my eyes only HALF as much as I have 'til now.  Though Mirjana does give me facial tics whenever she's onscreen. Seriously? In earlier seasons, she would have been BOOTED for the all the shit she's engineered!  They really need to dump her ratchet ass.

I didn't realize the fan voted photos were that different.  Isn't there some kind of game show authenticity rule that prevents that?

(again, I'm not sure how bapping somebody with your head when he won't stop touching you/instigating is grounds for removal when unsolicited dickpunching ISN'T, but ok).

It’s all from the same reality playbook. (That also includes not allowing judges to give a “Zero” as a score.)

Oh, and who can forget the "Firemen" holding their "hoses"? Bwah Ha Ha. Way to keep it classy, show!!

Edited by ShadowDenizen

I don't understand the title. Who does this refer to? It can't be Wil or Denzel since they were not chosen to model for Betsey Johnson.

Marjiana continues to be a selfish brat. She was mad at Denzel for not waking her up? He even offered to iron her clothes. Geez, why does Denzel or her boyfriend put up with that bad attitude.

I can see her giving interviews in forty years, wearing that same turban she wore tonight, starting each sentence "When I was seventeen and modeling in Paris" . . .

• Love 1

I don't understand the title. Who does this refer to? It can't be Wil or Denzel since they were not chosen to model for Betsey Johnson.

Marjiana continues to be a selfish brat. She was mad at Denzel for not waking her up? He even offered to iron her clothes. Geez, why does Denzel or her boyfriend put up with that bad attitude.

Keith was the guy chosen to model for Betsey Johnson. Presumably, the title refers to him.

My favorite thing so far this season has been the slow, subtle reveal of Adam's monster crush on Shei. Almost every episode has a comment about Shei. I would rather watch the storyline of ultimate party boy trying to cooly flirt with a girl he really likes than freakin' that mess with Denzel and Marijana.

• Love 4

Mirjana deserved to get the boot too by talking back and over the photographer. The fact that he flipped on her the way he did at the shoot? Ten seasons ago, that would have meant something to Tyra.

So true! A few weeks back Mirjana was wearing a large-brimmed black hat at judging, and I remember thinking Tyra would make her take it off and give her a lecture on "looking like a model.".  But, I guess I was thinking of the Tyra from ten seasons ago and how she used to make them remove it if they wore inappropriate clothing or too much makeup to judging.  I've noticed Tyra always ups her score for Mirjana if Kelly and Miss Jay score her too low.  It has been so obvious that Tyra wanted to keep the drama of Mirjana and Denzel. Now that Denzel is gone, let's see how Mirjana gets scored next week.  Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll see the last of her.

So true! A few weeks back Mirjana was wearing a large-brimmed black hat at judging, and I remember thinking Tyra would make her take it off and give her a lecture on "looking like a model.".  But, I guess I was thinking of the Tyra from ten seasons ago and how she used to make them remove it if they wore inappropriate clothing or too much makeup to judging.  I've noticed Tyra always ups her score for Mirjana if Kelly and Miss Jay score her too low.  It has been so obvious that Tyra wanted to keep the drama of Mirjana and Denzel. Now that Denzel is gone, let's see how Mirjana gets scored next week.  Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll see the last of her.

Scores will be adjusted dependent on "fan vote" as well .......