Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
BizBuzz

All About Happiness: Quotes to Make Us Smile or Think

Every morning I get up and one of the first things I do when I sit at my computer is look for a quote that I can use as a touchstone for the day.

It's kind of my way of intending myself to have a good day.

I would love to hear your quotes that make you smile or think.  And if you don't mind, I will share with you mine, which will pretty much be daily.  ::giggle::

NhqUX5Y.jpg

• Like 9

Just about every quote I've ever loved in my life turned out to be attributed to Gandhi, by the way.  This is not an intentionally inspiring quote, in fact it comes from a movie that I personally find hilarious, but isn't exactly going to go down as a classic or anything:  The Money Pit.   However the line itself always stuck with me: 

"Let's be nice to each other.  We're all we've got."  

• Like 7

"We spend precious hours fearing the inevitable. It would be wise to use that time adoring our families, cherishing our friends and living our lives.”

Maya Angelou

• Like 4

Saw this on a plaque today:

“Friendship isn’t about whom you have known the longest… It’s about who came, and never left your side.”

• Like 5

This is one that comes third-hand and it is strangely enough from John Wayne.  Now, this might not be highly apparent, but I'm really not the biggest John Wayne fan when it comes to Westerns.  Anyway, it's not from one of his movies.  It came from an interview I saw with Barbara Walters many, many years ago and the subject of the interview was actually Walters herself, vs John Wayne  She was talking about something that had happened in her career that contained a backlash.  Truthfully I've long since forgotten whatever the furor was in terms of her, because I'm not actually that interested in Barbara Walters.  

But she talked about getting raked up one side and down the other by the press, the public, how it felt like everyone had turned against her and it was a hard time.  Then she got a floral delivery from John Wayne, who she actually didn't know very well and the card attached said: 

Don't let the bastards get you down.  

I am not a fan of Westerns. but I've been a huge John Wayne fan ever since.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Like 4

I just finished reading through this blog post, which I think has a lot of good happiness quotes embedded into it:  http://www.marcandangel.com/2014/11/30/30-things-to-let-go-of-before-the-new-year/  (I'm a big fan of Marc and Angel's blog in general!)

My favorites/most meaningful parts to me today are:

- You cannot change what you refuse to confront.

- It’s always easier to find wealth by needing less, instead of making more and more.

The second one is especially good to think about during the holiday season!   (Although I know I certainly have indulged in a few purchases in the last week or so.)   

• Like 4

You may not realise it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. (Walt Disney)

or, as my mother says, nothing is ever completely bad.

• Like 2

When we had our family trip to Ireland this past fall, my mom had everything bad happen to her on the flight out. The Aer Lingus all-Irish flight attendants had been great, taking care of everything, but she just couldn't seem to catch a break! Finally, at the end of the flight, when we were just getting ready to land in Dublin, the male attendant who had taken care of us the most stopped in the aisle, leaned over to her, and told her, "Just remember when you land--don't you take no shite from anybody!!" That became our motto for the trip.

• Like 2

I love this thread!

Today I will live in the moment.

Unless it is unpleasant in which case I will have a cookie.

~ Cookie Monster

• Like 6

Read this one today:

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy and to love. (Marcus Aurelius Antoninus)

I'll be sure to try and remember that tomorrow morning and as often as I can, hopefully this will be a better start to the day that my usual Ohshittimetogetupalready:-(

• Like 5

“Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return.”

― Mary Jean Irion

Or in short, nothing broke today.  Yay.

• Like 5

“Give me back the soul I had as a child, matured by fairy tales, with its hat of feathers and its wooden sword.” ~ Frederico Garcia Lorca

Don't want grown-up responsibilities anymore...

Edited by raven
  • Like 3

This one could be in both the Happiness forum - as a reminder - or in the Unhappiness one - as an explanation of things gone wrong:

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not" - Epicurus

Other ways to phrase it that come to mind : enjoy the present instead of living in the future and/or past; focus on your blessings rather than on your failures/desires; by all means, make plans and imagine your future, but don't lose track of your present. Any other ideas on the same theme? 

Not a quote, but something that made me happy: I have a large family and we are pretty spread out now so it is rare I get to be with them on their birthday. Years ago I decided to celebrate their birthdays regardless, so on their birthdays I get a birthday cake (usually a Carvel ice cream cake), take a picture of it before slicing & a picture as we enjoy it, then send by text or email along with bday greetings.

• Like 7

This quote I stumbled on resonates deeply with me due to specific personal circonstances: 

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, only this time more wisely" (Henry Ford)

Hope it helps someone else change their focus too :-)

• Like 6

From an NPR e-mail I got this morning:

"Happiness equals reality minus expectations." — Tom Magliozzi (the Car Talk guy)

Pretty much sums it up, right?

• Like 2

"Tough times never last.

Tough people do." (Robert Sculler) 

This hit me in particular because one of the books I'm currently reading is "Gods and kings", by Dana Thomas, about the rise and fall of Alexander McQueen and John Galliano. And it reminds me of that oft encountered but anonymous "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem". And it makes me think of so many great artists who killed themselves, but also of who lived to a ripe old age, such as Leonardo da Vinci, Voltaire, the first two that sping to mind, but I'm sure you'll think of many others. Da Vinci WAS a tough person - moody, difficult, but overall curious about live and willing to see as much of it as he could. Same curiousity is found in Voltaire. Mc Queen looked tough but checked out, Galliano looked fragile but is still here and enjoying a renaissance of sorts even after hitting rock bottom and losing his main assets (job, brand, image, reputation). There's a lesson there, somewhere, about waiting out until the tough times end, and then just going on with your life, even if different that you had pictured it before. Makes sense to anyone else or am I affected too much by this book?  

• Like 2

“The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life." - Richard Bach

• Like 2

“Life is like a rainbow. You need both the sun and the rain to make its colors appear.”

(Just read this quoted in an article, and thought I should bring it here :-) )

• Like 1

This morning our cat was acting weird -  starting off randomly, making her tail look like a squirrel's - and then my son said " Sometimes, it'd like she's seeing ghosts".

And that  made me laugh, then smile, then think about all the cats I had over the past decades, and smile some more, and laugh again.

• Like 2

Bumping this one, because "without music, life would be a mistake" is awesome :)

(Nietzsche's, btw)

Gore Vidal said " The important thing is not the object of love but the emotion itself".

And how right he is! I just spent a year on a (long distance, eventually fizzled) thingy, and the guy was nothing worth writing home about, but the sensations, anticipations, butterflies, etc.? Priceless. One month in the doldrums after 12 months of bliss? Totally worth it! 

Knowing you're able to love and feel "that" is wonderful. Because, however not likely it may feel now, you'll get there again. And whatever the outcome, it will be great.

• Like 3

Since happiness is in the title, what sprang to mind is my favorite quote on that subject:

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
--Agnes Repplier

My other words of wisdom for the day:

It's no good running a pig farm badly for 30 years while saying, "Really I was meant to be a ballet dancer."  By that time, pigs will be your style.
--Quentin Crisp

• Like 3

I like a lot of what everyone else has written. The things I keep in mind are these...

Anger and frustration are nearly always the result of your expectations being out of alignment with reality. And most of the time, when I start to feel angry, it reminds me that I need to adjust my expectations.

The other thing I keep in mind is actually from the movie "The Mask of Zorro"; specifically it's the necklace that Anthony Hopkins' character uses to train Antonio Banderas' character. I just envision the things that I can do something about right now as being in the center circle with me. Everything that has yet to happen or that I am unable to influence are in the outer circles. And I just keep my focus on the things in the center circle with me, and refuse to let myself worry about or spend any time/energy on anything that isn't in the center circle.

• Like 2