Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls: The moments that make your heart melt like the cheese on one of Luke's cheeseburgers!

BC Mama
  • Start Topic

There are many reasons I love Gilmore Girls, and re-watch the series repeatedly: the witty dialogue; the obscure cultural references; the quirky characters; and, the sweet moments that make my heart go "oy with the poodles already!"

So, what are the moments that make you melt? Bring tears to your eyes? Want to hug your daughter/mother/diner proprietor? 

The first scene that comes to mind (and my favourite Emily moment of the whole series) is in Christopher returns, after Straub has mocked Rory, berated Lorelai, and been kicked out by Richard, and Emily goes to find Rory nursing a pop in the kitchen. Initially Emily tries to diplomatically list Straub's accomplishments, but gives up and says he's an ass! She goes on to say, "Rory, I know you heard a lot of talk about various disappointments this evening, and I know you've heard a lot of talk about it in the past, but I want to make this very clear: you, young lady, your person and your existence, have never ever been, not even for a second, included in that list. Do you understand me?" 

This scene always gets me choked up! 

• Love 8

The Chilton graduation speech. Every. single. time.

The end of Help Wanted where Richard is telling Lorelai about his new secretary and says "She's no.... Margie" and you know he's thinking "She's no.... you."  It was like without him saying it, that undercurrent and pause told Lorelai he appreciated her.

Were I Lorelai, after going and yelling at Jess for how he treated Luke, I'd head back home and give that guy a hug. He really needed one that day. There's hardly anything more painful than someone you love speaking so harshly in anger.

Also, I love this interchange, Lorelai reaches out so sweetly:

LORELAI: I don't have very many people in my life who are in my life permanently forever. They will always be there for
me. I will always be there for them, you know? There's Rory, and Sookie, and this town and ... you. I mean, at least I
think I've got...
LUKE: You do.
LORELAI: Good. Just checking
LUKE: Tell me about Romeo and Juliet.
LORELAI: Well, it's so depressing because everybody dies, but the clothes were so cute.
LUKE: Life can be funny that way.

• Love 2

Well, I'm a sap, so get ready for a list LOL.

Sookie and Lorelai in the kitchen the night before Sookie's wedding.

Lorelai realizing that Sookie is pregnant.  Just the way she gasps and takes off for the kitchen really grabs that overwhelming sense of new pregnancy wonder for me.

Lorelai and Sookie sitting in the shed with all the little boy furniture.  (LOVE.)

Lorelai realizing how scared and worried she is about her father in Forgiveness and Stuff.

Emily refusing to let Richard talk about dying in F&S.

Paris excited about prom.

• Love 2

Emily talking to Rory in the kitchen after Straub's outburst is my all-time favorite Emily moment. She was perfect. 

I also love Jess and Rory's first kiss at Gypsy's.

I'm not a fan of Dean but I always liked how Rory said "You're wonderful" after Dean gives her the car. Of course he ruins it by freaking out when she can't say ILY back. 

I love the look on Lorelai's face after the "You keep thinking the way you think" in Pushkin. I always think that's the first time she realized how much she loves Luke. 

• Love 3

The L&L waltz at Liz's wedding.  They start out a foot apart and Lorelai looks at just about everything but Luke's face.  Then she starts glancing up and by the end of the dance, they are melded together.  So simple but so sweetly played.

• Love 2

When Sookie comes to Lorelai's, freaking out because she's overdue, and Lorelai calms her down by telling her about when Rory was born. Awww..

Lorelai waking Rory up on her birthday. Gets me every time.

When Richard is in the hospital and he wakes up to see Lorelai there, and they don't need to say a word to each other. And in that same episode, the conversation between Lorelai and Luke when he's driving her to the hospital and she tells him that she's working on being a better daughter.

In Nag Hammadi, after Lorelei patches up Luke's hand, she gets up from the couch and Luke reaches out like he wants to just touch her leg and his just kind of hangs there. I don't know if that was the intention, or just drunkenness, but it gets me every time.

• Love 3

The discussion in which the Dragonfly team decides together how to enjoy the startup time together, then they all sleep with the zucchini.

When Tristan says goodbye to Rory. That's the moment that I actually believed they could have had a viable relationship. Too bad Rory didn't have the guts to hug him and deal with the consequence of Dean's reaction.

Luke's moment outside, waiting for Lorelai to come paint.

When Lorelai returns Rachel's jacket to Luke. The discussion there is complete, both behave like adults, apologizing, discussing the usefulness of keeping memorabilia, and generally a great demonstration of how they were good friends. 

Cinnamon's Wake, when Lane and Rory discuss Cinnamon: 

LANE: Did you laugh?

(Rory shakes her head 'no.')
LANE: Did you want to?
(Rory nods her head 'yes.')

Another Lorelai/parent moment I love is in Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers, when Richard catches Lorelai sneaking out of her old bedroom window, to escape Chase Bradford, the awful blind date Emily set her up with. After she pleads with him not to tell, despite the memories such a situation would stir, their strained relationship, and the fight they had the week before, he yells down to Emily that she isn't up there! The way she sincerely says, "Thank you, Daddy" and he makes a small, but emotional smile gets me in the feels!! 

In Nag Hammadi, after Lorelei patches up Luke's hand, she gets up from the couch and Luke reaches out like he wants to just touch her leg and his just kind of hangs there. I don't know if that was the intention, or just drunkenness, but it gets me every time.

The way Luke looks at Lorelai always gets me here! So much love.

• Love 3

Emily refusing to let Richard talk about dying in F&S.

Emily talking to Rory in the kitchen after Straub's outburst is my all-time favorite Emily moment. She was perfect.

Love these. 

Emily and Richard can be such awful people that I genuinely enjoy their likable moments and qualities, such as their unconditional acceptance and love for Rory in spite of the circumstances of her birth. 

Another good Emily episode is the mostly forgettable "Dear Emily and Richard" - the flashback scene where Christopher's parents are trying to pretend that the pregnancy is more Lorelai's fault than Christopher's, and both Francine and Straub seem to imply that Lorelai is "slutty" or should be sent away. Emily is pretty great in this scene too; "Girls like what, Francine?" "Choose your next words extremely carefully, Straub." 

Edited by moonb
  • Love 6

Richard and Emily are certainly hard on Lorelai, but they do not stand for anyone messing with their daughter!! As angry as they can make me, their fierce protectiveness is a redeeming quality for me.

• Love 3

One of the strongest moments for me takes place backstage during the Fiddler on the Roof performance. Both Luke and Lorelai are so affected by listening to "Do You Love Me?" Without any words, they're able to show how much they feel for each other and how devastated they are by the break-up. I'm always in a puddle on the floor by the time it's over.

Another one occurs during Love, War and Snow, when Luke looks away from giving the reenactors their hot drinks and sees Lorelai walking with Max. My heart breaks for him every time.

Edited by deepfriedcake
  • Love 3

Remembered another one!  In Rory's Dance, when a drugged Lorelai is drifting off to sleep and Emily quietly turns the movie off, tells Lorelai she'll tell her what happens tomorrow, and then brushes her hair out of her face.  Lorelai's mumbled "Thank you Mommy" is a heart clencher.

• Love 4

Just watched Lorelai's graduation episode on ABC Family. When Lorelai is up on the stage after receiving her diploma, she glances at her parents as she is moving the tassel from one side to the next and they are all so proud and emotional. Love it.

• Love 4

I was always touched by the quiet interchange between Luke and Rory at the end of Lorelai's Graduation Day.  Rory had been trying for days to tell everyone that Jess was not to blame.  When she ran into Luke coming back to the diner, they were so in tune that neither of them had to say much as each one knew what the other was thinking and feeling.  Luke was so much more like a father to Rory than Christopher ever was.  He instinctively knew what to do to make her feel better, even more so than her mom in this instance.

• Love 6

Great moment, Kohola. Too bad it didn't make it into the character reference, but it's not something that Lorelai would necessarily every have known about. Makes me wonder how a second character reference, this time from Rory, would have read. 

Speaking of which, the whole character reference sequence has beautiful, touching moments in it.

chris-character.jpg

An obvious one, but in RBP where Lorelai climbs into bed with Rory to tell her the story of her birth. This scene has just the perfect mix of sweetness, wit and charm to avoid being cheesy. The dialogue flows naturally and Rory's ILY is so genuine. 

I also like the make up scene in KMN - particularly the end where Rory cuddles into Lorelai's arm. It's such a kid thing to do. The way she hides her face from Lorelai who in turn ducks her head to try to see her eyes - I just love those tiny nuances.

And the final scene in TBPPT - Rory crying on the couch and Lorelai coming to console her. It's so them - 'I'm ready to wallow now'; the massive tub of ice-cream; the kisses to her face; ordering pizza. Just a heartwrencher!

Edited by Gooey
  • Love 5

At Rory's graduation party, when Richard tells Lorelai that the party isn't only for Rory, but for Lorelai, too. He says something along the lines of, "It takes a remarkable person to inspire this" and it makes me tear up every time. I also love when he takes the camera from Lorelai during the graduation ceremony and tells her to just sit and enjoy it, "this is as much your day" or something like that.

Richard did a lot of stuff that pissed me off over the series, but I think he also grew to respect and understand Lorelai (at least more than he did at the beginning!).

Edited by ddiced35
  • Love 6

I cry every time at Bon Voyage, when Lorelai and Rory pull up and see the party that's been thrown for Rory, and then we see everyone there, crying and clapping, and then later with Rory's speech, Emily saying she's proud to be Rory's grandmother, and Richard's comment to Lorelai about 'a remarkable person'

I don't cry much at TV, but this episode gets me every time

• Love 5

I cry every time at Bon Voyage, when Lorelai and Rory pull up and see the party that's been thrown for Rory, and then we see everyone there, crying and clapping, and then later with Rory's speech, Emily saying she's proud to be Rory's grandmother, and Richard's comment to Lorelai about 'a remarkable person'

I don't cry much at TV, but this episode gets me every time

I don't even LIKE Rory by that point, and I tear up when she stops Lorelai's franticness and says "You've already given me everything I need."

There were a number of warm moments with Luke and Lorelai after they finally got together but before the first break up.  None were verbal; there were looks and actual physical touches that all spoke of the start of a new love. I often wonder if the Palladino's wrote those in (with their weird reluctance for PDAs) or the actors just felt it fit the moment.  Displays like reaching across the counter to touch hands, Luke draping his arm across Lorelai's legs at the movies, touching Lorelai's hair, that sort of thing.  We never saw as much of that after they got back together. It always got an awwww out of me.

• Love 2

Most of my most awwww-evoking moments come from sweet scenes between Lorelai/Rory and those moments of connection between Rory and Paris, but since I've been rewatching (and, lord help me, really liking!) S7, I just have to mention how heart melting I found the explanation for Logan's cryptic rocket gift in The Long Morrow. This has nothing to do with the specific characters involved---I just really loved the story behind it. I now need to track down that episode of Twilight Zone! I've said it elsewhere, but I think DR wrote romance with so much more warmth, affection and charm than AS-P. 

• Love 2
I cry every time at Bon Voyage, when Lorelai and Rory pull up and see the party that's been thrown for Rory, and then we see everyone there, crying and clapping, and then later with Rory's speech, Emily saying she's proud to be Rory's grandmother, and Richard's comment to Lorelai about 'a remarkable person'

I don't cry much at TV, but this episode gets me every time.

I think I'm just non-stop crying throughout that episode. 

The moment when Richard tells her that the celebration is such a testament to the life she's built there? Gah! And then the end - where the girls are chatting at their table in the diner, and Luke is just there...in the background, like he's always been. It ended the exact same way the series began and I just start crying all over again. 

• Love 2

God yes---nearly every second of Bon Voyage makes me teary, which escalates to full on sobbing when Rory tells Lorelai that she's already given her everything she needs. *sniff* I totally understand the arguments that Bon Voyage is shamelessly manipulative, overly sentimental treacle, but it just works for me anyway. And maybe this is just me seeing things that aren't actually there, but at certain moments during Rory's farewell party it feels more like the actors bidding one another and the show farewell rather than the fictional characters, and then I think about how Alexis Bledel pretty much grew up on the set of GG and how highly most of them seemed to think of one another, their show and its fans...and then I start crying even harder :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 6

In "Love and War and Snow", when Luke brings coffee out to the reenactors, even though he spent all of the episode telling them how crazy they were.

When he says, "my father would have taken the coffee"...

• Love 5

A very small thing, but I just saw Unto the Breach again and it was the first time I noticed that Richard called Lorelai "sweetheart." It was a sweet little moment that just slipped in there.

Graduations make Richard Gilmore very emotional.

• Love 3

It's funny that on a show so justifiably well known for its nonstop chatter, it's the wordless moments that often really get to me, like Lorelai reentering her now quiet, Rory-less home after dropping off her daughter at Yale, the poignantly silent reminder of the distance between Richard and Emily as they quietly eat their dinners in Scenes at a Mall, the final silent shot of the family portrait in Dear Emily and Richard or even Logan silently lifting his hand in a wave from the elevator as he leaves for the airport. 

• Love 8

I just watched the one where cinnamon died and I loved the moment between Morey and Rory when he said he'll never eat clams again and she said she wouldn't either. He gives her the sweetest look after she says that. It's one of the more believable townies adore Rory moments to me.

Edited by RoyRogersMcFreely
  • Love 8

Aw.  I think Morey is one of my favorite of the townies - I know he's not really given a life of his own, but everything about him broadcasts how much he loves Babette, even though she is a total kook.  (I mean that in the best possible way, of course, but still: she's a Notable Kook, even for Stars Hollow.)

• Love 4
(I mean that in the best possible way, of course, but still: she's a Notable Kook, even for Stars Hollow.)

I do enjoy her somewhat bizarre story of dating a guy and ending up being a Moonie, handing out flowers at the airport. 

• Love 3