Type keyword(s) to search

Bones: Best and Worst

I had no reaction to Kathryn on Vikings other than *yawn.*  I bailed on that show after season 2 anyways.

I understand that Bones is brilliant with bones, but it was so ridiculous that she diagnosed Hannah with a life-threatening bone chip that both the radiologist AND the attending missed.

I haven't seen this show for several seasons now, but the first two seasons are still a "best" for me. Just watching them again these past few days makes me remember why I fell in love with the show and tempts me to catch up on the seasons I've missed, though based on what I know, I'm wary! 

The Squints are a perpetual best.

The surprisingly interesting information we got about forensic anthropology and other areas is a best.

The use of warmth and humor---overly grim, self-serious procedurals get stale for me!----is a best. 

The ways in which Booth and Bones subvert some of the usual gender expectations---she's the brilliantly scientific, rational, calm and detached one; he's the one who gets feelings, acts on instinct, is more warm and sociable and 'people smart'---is a best for me too :) 

Angela is kind of a worst for me. She just seems like one of those characters who's horribly selfish, vain and attention seeking in the name of being a "fun free spirit." Maybe she became less annoying in later seasons...?! It's too bad, because I absolutely love Hodgins and want to love the woman he's with as well. 

The endless obstacles between Booth and Bones became a worst for me and, as often happens in these cases, made me love them a little less as individuals and as a couple. 

Booth as a novelist has always been a worst for me! A writer of scholarly articles, textbooks, etc.? Absolutely---I'd buy that in a heartbeat. But this is a woman who knows very little (and often cares very little!) about how people actually speak, feel, interact etc., and pretty much all fiction requires writers to have at least SOME grasp of that, you know?! I know this is a dumb nitpick, but it's always bugged me. 

• Love 1

TNT had a two pack of awful today.

First up was Colin, the dead head that Brennan carted around like he was her kid and everyone acted out of character around.  Except for Cyndi Lauper because that's what Avalon does.  

Right after that, and I don't know if TNT skipped an episode or if these were sequentially terrible, was the one where Buck and Wanda go undercover at the dance contest.

Now, I love Dmitry (RAWR) and I would never scoff at a So You Think You Can Dance cameo (Ryan, Ashleigh, Cheon, Mary, even Tyce!) but for fuck's sake.  Brennan wasn't even fully automated yet and she doesn't know that you let your partner lead in ballroom dancing?  She doesn't understand that moving in the complete opposite direction of Booth looks terrible?  I mean, I get that she still wanted to do the audition, but no sane human would ever act like that.

It did give Wendell a good line though - "I don't know much about dancing but is it supposed to look like a fistfight?"  

Also, Brennan's practice leotard was horrific and did nothing good for her figure.

(edited)
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Now, I love Dmitry (RAWR) and I would never scoff at a So You Think You Can Dance cameo (Ryan, Ashleigh, Cheon, Mary, even Tyce!) but for fuck's sake.  Brennan wasn't even fully automated yet and she doesn't know that you let your partner lead in ballroom dancing?

Well, she knew it early in season 1, when she warned the FedEx guy (and then Booth) that she wasn't good at following in The Man in the Bear. Of course, that was before she developed a spectacularly misognynist version of autism, so she wasn't capable of grasping what she already knew and it was her mom's fault.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I know this is the equivalent of walking into a room, shouting a random statement and then turning around and walking back out, but if they don't bring Dr. Goodman back before the finale I am going to be very angry.

• Love 1
On 7/27/2016 at 2:51 PM, mojoween said:

I know this is the equivalent of walking into a room, shouting a random statement and then turning around and walking back out, but if they don't bring Dr. Goodman back before the finale I am going to be very angry.

It would be nice to see him again, or at least get a big mention. But it has been so long and he was there so little, I'm doubtful. Looking at IMDB, we're at the point where many of the rotating interns have now appeared on more episodes than he did.

I really liked having Goodman there. It was one of those things that made the place feel more real, and made the world feel larger than their little (huge) lab. Cam as "the boss" never carried any weight, and they completely forewent that idea after a couple of seasons.

Unfortunately, as the show carried on, the universe continued to shrink instead of grow. 

• Love 1

I like so few of the episodes, that I wonder why I still watch, but today on My50 Chicago they aired one of my favorites:

Episode: The Shallow in the Deep

S06, E06

(First Aired: Nov. 11, 2010)

Human remains from a 150-year-old slave ship surface; the investigation leads Booth and Brennan to a cruise where a murder victim was seen moments before his death.

I used to do a lot of portraits like the ones Angela was seen doing; she must have watched a "real" artist at work (unless maybe the actress is a visual artist too?) because all of the hand motions were very realistic--unless maybe they found an artist hand double? Regardless, I appreciated the realism.
I also liked the way they used restraint in showing Cam's involvement with the slave Hany--it made it touching and realistic for me.
The humor with Sweets and Booth on the cougar yacht was well done, good comic relief.
They even ended it with the murderer being human and repentent, rather than a genius pyscho or unbelievable housewife turned monster. 

"The Finger in the Nest" is a really good episode but it is the WORST when the Dog Whisperer says sorry to Ripley and then when Bones cries about Ripley having to get put down because I cry too and basically I started tearing up just typing that out.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

Can we rank the interns? I'm not going to include Zach in this, because I feel like he's in a seperate field, since he had three whole season and the rest of the squints had less than I'd say...30-15 episodes each? I'm gonna go worst to best:

WELLS IS THE WORST. Like 1000% percent. He's obnoxious and I cannot stand him. I'm most likely to skip an episode he's in. He's just insufferble and there are no redeeming qualities to him.

Vaziri is only a step below Wells, to be honest. His bs with Cam is honestly so annoying and his nonchemistry with her makes me crazy.

Fuentes is next worst, because I forget he exists. I should like him more because we are both Cuban but like...I can't. He's just there.

Fisher, because he had that damn Avatar storyline. I can't with that storyline. Also, not a super huge fan of depression being played for laughs!

Wick, she's gotten better lately but she has a LOT to make up for. So maybe my views on her will change but as of right now, this is a good spot for her.

Edison, I have definitely softened on him. I wasn't a huge fan when he first came on, but I think as he's opened up, he's gotten better.

Warren, I actually enjoy her! I like her with Aubrey and I may have a bit of affection for the actress that plays her because she's Jane Bennett in the Lizzie Bennett Diaries. 

Abernathy is great. Him and Hodgins together making that hot sauce is one of my favorite things, and I like that they have nicknames for each other. Wasn't a huge fan of the thing with Michelle, but whatever. I think he's charming. 

Nigel-Murray was just really adorable. I am so, so sad about what happened to him. Yeah, his constant need to share fact could be annoying but I have fallen victim to the same need to share information, so I could totally relate.

Bray is my favorite squint by FAR. I think he is really cute, and I love love love when he's the squint. I can't explain why I like him so much, maybe it's because I feel like he's the most developed?  I think the cancer storyline was used in a really good way (though the way they covered up in head in that bald cap was...questionable, at best), and I just really like the dude. 

Okay, that's everyone. That was a really long post. I apologize.

• Love 5

I feel like Wendell is the least squinty of them all and he's one of the lesser interns, for me.  But he has the most chemistry with Booth, most likely for that reason.  I definitely don't see Mr. (Dr. now) Fisher playing hockey.

I actually do like Fisher because he and Hodgins are amusing together.

Faziri is my favorite because he's way hot and I'm shallow.

I hated Jessica at first, much prefer her on Big Bang Theory, but she's gotten better.  

I don't like Finn because I feel like both his hair and accent are fake.

Daisy will never not be annoying even if I've softened towards her.

Clark is there, he has the most longevity and I do love how flustered he gets.  

Wells and Fuentes could disappear forever and I'm ok with that.

I hope that awful intern who got fired never ever comes back.

Nigel Murray has his special place at the top of the list.

That was fun!

• Love 2

Worst to best:

Wells - because he's a jackhole. I enjoy him most when someone is shading him. And Hodgins makes him less douchey. 

Faziri - I....just don't think he's that good of an actor. He's very one-note except when he's being pissy with Cam, who totally should've stuck with the hot photographer. 

Daisy - she's gotten better with the needy validation with Brennan, and I did soften towards her when Sweets died. 

Wendell - I hated his thing with Angela but the Blackout in the Blizzard redeemed him a lot. 

Warren - she seems to have the most fun apart from Abernathy but I wasn't crazy about her performance during the 'Bones tweets' ep. 

Fisher - what can I say, I like the morose bastard lol. I liked him with the girl who befriended his mother so she could keep having sex with him. 

Abernathy - he's a sweet, cute, smart kid. I felt bad about his breakup with Michelle. I'm actually hoping those 2 crazy kids end up back together. 

Fuentes - for the pretty. Dayum that man is fine, he ain't got to say a word! 

Vincent - I wasn't spoiled on him dying and I cried like a sad lil baby. 

Edison - I love Clark. If the show ends with Brennan and Booth leaving, I think he should be the one in charge. NOT Vaziri. Never Vaziri.

Zach - because he was the best first. And I think it was wise they chose to rotate after he left. I still disagree with the way they wrote him out (I stopped watching for a couple years after that) but I've come to terms with it. 

Hey this was fun!

• Love 1

Best category, I'm doing a watch of the early seasons for the new/last season which I plan on watching surg interest. 

Dr Goodman.   awesome.   He's made of awesome and while I like Cam I think he served a better purpose as the boss .   Disinterested but affectionate and he carried himself that he earned his role.   Plus he was funny.

I lost a lot of interest in this show after season 4 but still watch.   But doing my rewatch with my better half I get it.   He loves original recipe Bones yet hates it now, and I get it, the earlier seasons were better for plot and character. 

I agree with you on that, but for what it's worth... at least they haven't insulted fans per say or treated them bad, so there's that. I appreciate the fact that the characters were allowed to change, evolve and grow. The show isn't perfect but least there's effort put into it by the writers, actors and producers (and show runner(s)). Granted there's a lot I didn't like, but at least it never really overshadowed what's good about the show.

So in the best category: the actors, writers and show runners, for trying to run the show with class and dignity.

• Love 2

All-time favorite episodes are: The one where the squinterns all get together and solve the mystery of what happened to that poor soldier at the Pentagon during 9-11. Rest of the season sucked ass, but that one? Magic. STILL makes me cry.

Worst one was not an episode but a season. When Angela and Hodgins broke up and she started screwing everything with a pulse. In front of him. Then she started screwing HIS BEST FRIEND and he was supposed to be OKAY with it. I hate that season and flatly refuse to watch it. It pisses me off and hurts my heart, all at the same time.

My favorite Booth/Bones moment isn't one I've seen here yet. It's the one with the Pogo Song, where Bones and her dad rescue Booth and he just sits there, taking the torture like it's no big deal. LOVE that one. Especially them at the coffee shop afterwards. 

Also loved both of the gravedigger episodes, the one with Brennan and Hodgins, and the one with Booth in the hold of the ship. Love them, but the brother (Jared)? Yawn. I quit "really" watching after season 4. Season 5 they started getting silly and by season 6 it just wasn't worth watching anymore.  I never even saw past that. Now I'm glad I didn't. I can't even watch the recent ones. Can't believe they killed Sweets...damn...

• Love 1