Type keyword(s) to search

Bones: Best and Worst

Which seasons were your favorite and least favorite? Which were your top 10-15 episodes, and which do you shudder at the thought of ever having to watch again?! Who are your favorite and least favorite characters? This is the place to discuss all that and more :) 

• Love 1

IMO, what Bones has done best, especially compared to a lot of other shows, is develop secondary characters like the Squinterns, Max and Caroline.

Honorable mention goes to the chemistry that's still evident among the main cast.

The worst thing about Bones (and maybe this was inevitable, considering the show's been on the air for 10 years) is that the crimes of the week are rarely interesting.

• Love 3

Agree with that. ^

I am currently watching the one with the foster kid (Christmas break, sue me....I love the older episodes), when Cam first joined, and it's amazing to me how they have aged Brennan.  She used to have a young hairstyle and eccentric but stylish dress, and she spoke quietly in that gravely voice.  Now she dresses like a grandma and talks in a robotic yet shrill voice all the time.  I wonder if it's a conscious choice or just ED aging.    I liked more subtle Brennan but I guess after 10 years there's no point in being subtle.  Another reason this show should have ended after Bones got pregnant....

• Love 2

Favorite Season - Season One. Dr Goodman was an interesting character and was a boss - not one of the gang. Liked Zack (and was intrigued by his extended family).

Worst season - season 3 and the ridiculous way they got rid of Zack. Always wondered if the show runners found the actor's bipolar condition difficult and that was why they decided to get rid of the character. Didn't make any sense for a character with a large extended family who clearly adored him to end up as the G. Apprentice.

Didn't watch at all for a couple of seasons after season3 and the show never made it back into my heart in the same way

• Love 3

Least favorite ever:  Hannah, followed closely by Hannah and then Hannah.  Not just b/c she was a roadblock but because she was obnoxious.

Agreed. Couldn't stand her. She got on my nerves. And the way she dumped Booth... made me shake my head.

Favorite Season - Season One. Dr Goodman was an interesting character and was a boss - not one of the gang. Liked Zack (and was intrigued by his extended family).

Worst season - season 3 and the ridiculous way they got rid of Zack. Always wondered if the show runners found the actor's bipolar condition difficult and that was why they decided to get rid of the character. Didn't make any sense for a character with a large extended family who clearly adored him to end up as the G. Apprentice.

Didn't watch at all for a couple of seasons after season3 and the show never made it back into my heart in the same way

I hated (and still do) how they did that. 

OT: He was bi polar? I find that a weak excuse to get an actor off of a show tbh. Unless the behavior was getting to a point where it was disruptive.

Back on topic: I wish they would have had him move on to a better job or something, instead of being a serial killer's apprentice. Thought it was somewhat of a cop out.

If I'm remembering correctly, the original plan was to have Zach be Gormogon's final victim.  Then the writer's strike happened and the whole storyline got changed and Zach ended up being the apprentice.  Truly a bad decision, but Zach was always going to be written out that season.  Supposedly, to mix things up, but who knows the real reason.

• Useful 1

Worst episode for me?  The Gravedigger reveal.  Supposedly, a 40-ish woman can subdue a man the size of Boreanaz, pick him up, cart him down a fire escape, load him into a vehicle, then unload him into a boat and then carry him up a ladder from the water to the boat's deck, then down into the hold and into a small submarine that's INSIDE THE HOLD, all by herself with no help.  I know that "the sisters are doin' it for themselves", but that episode still pisses me off.  Plus, there's a freakin' ghost in it!!

• Like 1
  • Love 11

If I'm remembering correctly, the original plan was to have Zach be Gormogon's final victim.  Then the writer's strike happened and the whole storyline got changed and Zach ended up being the apprentice.  Truly a bad decision, but Zach was always going to be written out that season.  Supposedly, to mix things up, but who knows the real reason.

That's even worse :(. Poor guy.

Ah.

• Love 1

The official word at the time was Eric Millegan left because of issues with his bipolar condition.

• Love 1

Ok. I'll play.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched a single episode since the show moved to Friday nights...

The one ep that always stands out to me is from the 1st season when Bren's mom's bones end up at the Jeffersonian. I always loved Goodman. I missed him when he went away. I also liked the one with the foster kid (I think it's Cam's first episode?)

My least favorite character was that blond plot device. Hanna? Ugh. And the 100th ep was the beginning of the end of my Bones Obsession. Their whole history was re-conned and ruined as far as I am concerned. The show started to go downhill immediately after that. Then the season of the plot device began and then voila---Bren gets knocked up by Booth but what? When? What? Just bad...

• Love 1

Some random "bests:"

Best multi-episode bad guy -- Broadsky. Epps was too mustache-twirly, Pelant had too many superpowers and the Gravedigger was too unbelievable. Broadsky, in contrast, was simply someone who had a perverted sense of justice. Plus, the sequence that led to Nigel-Murray's death and the final showdown between Booth and Broadsky were very expertly staged.

Best romantic moment, Booth/Brennan division -- The proposal scene from "Secret in the Siege" was good, but a small scene a few minutes before that, when a freaked-out Brennan calms down and tells Booth, "You are not allowed to die" in a very soft voice was smokin' hot, IMO. Honorable mention goes to the skating scene at the end of "Fire in the Ice."

Best romantic moment, Hodgins/Angela division -- I forget the episode title, but it's when Angela thinks she might be pregnant (it was a false alarm) and Hodgins says simply, "I'm your guy." Honorable mention goes to their conversation right before the birth of their son.

Speaking of Hodgins ...

Best character transformation -- I sooo hated "Angry Hodgins" from Season 1, but I love science nerd and experiment junkie Hodgins from subsequent seasons. And I have to find some way to insert "Excuse me for loving my work" into casual conversation.

Best argument make-up scene -- From "The Divorce in the Partnership." ED and DB made me believe that their characters were madly in love with each other with very few words or physical actions.

Best squintern -- Bray. Sure, he's an Everyman who's almost too good to be true, but he's a damned good Everyman (honorable mention goes to Nigel-Murray ... RIP, Vincent).

Best humorous guest star -- David Alan Grier as Bunsen Jude, the Science Dude. I may never get "observe, analyse, deduce" and "Amazing!" out of my brain and I don't think I want to, either.

Is it March yet?

ETA: Thanks for the catch, Wendy.

Edited by BigBeagle
  • Love 2
Best humorous guest star -- Damon Wayans as Bunsen Jude, the Science Dude

I think that was David Alan Grier (Wayans' In Living Color co-star) in the role, not Wayans.

But great list nevertheless!

Seems like the show has a long hiatus this year. Per TV Line, it's back on March 26th.

Best Episode: The Killer in the Concrete. I loved the whole arc that introduced Max. I loved Max stubbornly trying to get Brennan to listen to him and finally going to jail because that was what it took. I loved Booth's constant conflict between wanting to arrest the criminal and wanting Brennan to get some peace by reconnecting with her father. And most of all I loved how Brennan held onto her totally justified anger at Max until she couldn't. There is a big turning point in this episode when Brennan is reduced to going to Max for help because it's the only way to save Booth, and she believably evolves from "hey Booth, my dad is here, can you arrest him?" to "Dad, the keys are in the car, get out of here before the FBI sees you." It's glorious when she  beats the hell out of a bounty hunter while screaming "Where's Booth?!?!"  And of course the Keep on Trying montage is a thing of beauty. The moment when Booth starts singing Brennan's father's song with her breaks the adorableness meter.

Best Montage: Speaking of montages, gotta go with the families visiting through the quarantine glass The Man in the Fallout Shelter. It's amazing how much  character development was crammed into two minutes with no dialog. The first appearance of Booth-as-father when Parker shows up is huge, but not so huge that it overshadows the reveal of Angela's father or Zack's whole family having flown in en masse from Michigan just to see him through a window on Christmas. It was a nice touch to make the most awkward, most socially inept character the only one who was one hundred percent secure in the love of his family of origin.

Best Romantic Moment: Hodgins and Angela get married in jail, and "I'm your guy" is all the wedding vow he needs.

Best Unresolved Sexual Tension Moment: The scene from The Science in the Physicist that was in the opening credits for a few years. Hodgins blows something up, and Booth  reacts by plastering Brennan against the wall and covering her with his body. She registers long before he does that they aren't in any danger, and she clearly uses her free time to think about how much she'd like it if Booth had her up against a wall for recreational purposes.

A silly honorable mention to The He in the She when Booth asks Brennan whether she'd like him to be a woman and she answers no so quickly that she might as well have said that that would ruin her fantasy of having lots of sex and babies with him. So of course she covers by telling him that she's afraid he'd be prettier than she is. He agrees wholeheartedly that he would be hot. That may be the most purely happy we've ever seen Booth.... I miss the way he used to preen.

Best Recurring Villain: Easily Broadsky. His motivation made sense, his fixation on the protagonists made sense, and he committed crimes in a way that did not require willing suspension of disbelief.

That can't be said for the Gravedigger, but Gravedigger gets an honorable mention for having two episodes in my top ten: Aliens in a Spaceship and the Boy With the Answer. Even The Hero in the Hold has a lot of good about it to mitigate the ridiculous. The tension between Brennan and Hodgins is golden. She so very much understands where he's coming from, and she would so very much like to flay him alive.

Best Recurring Line: It makes me happy every time Hodgins reminds us that he's King of the Lab.

Best Slow Reveal: Booth's backstory. Jared gets name-dropped early in the first season and then goes unmentioned for years so that when he turns up the little pissant Sweets is jealous that Brennan knew about him and Sweets did not. (Nanny nanny boo boo, Sweets. He loves Brennan more than he loves you.) In the early seasons, Booth skirts Brennan's questions about his family. Sometimes it's clear that there's something he isn't saying. ("Do you like your father?" "I love my father.") Sometimes it's not. ("My father was a barber and my mother wrote jingles... of course they had a life I didn't know about, they were my parents.") But it all fits with no retconning when Hank first appears and the final beat drops.

Honorable mention to the season 9/10 conspiracy plot. The writing pulled from lots of scattered places: Brennan's ghost killer, Hodgins' friends from his rich childhood, and Booth's promotion were all part of the same mess. I think that was when the show started to trend upward again after its unfortunate nadir.

And speaking of upward trends,

Best Late in Show Addition: Aubrey, of course. Smart and competent, but with a button that can be pushed when it comes to dirty bankers. Happy to learn from Booth, but not so enamored that he'll debase himself for Booth's attention. Has a deadpan that stands out even on a show of great deadpanners. Just don't forget to feed him.

• Love 1

Fallout Shelter also has at least a strong contender for best line: Zach's I'm a rational empiricist. Unless you ask my mother. Then, I'm Lutheran.

Remember when people on this show said smart, funny things?

• Love 4

I don't know why but I always loved the episode where Booth's boss's daughter had cancer and she got it from a bone graft that shouldn't have been given. They found a whole bunch of other people who had early stage cancer and were able to treat it. I think it is the Angela creating the Louvre for the girl in virtual reality that does it. 

I know it was necessary for the actor playing Zack to leave the show but I wish they could have found a different way for him to leave the lab. Dad has a heart attack and he goes back to Michigan or really anything else. It was a really powerful episode and I guess that's important but I never liked that Zack was the apprentice. 

• Love 2

I don't know why but I always loved the episode where Booth's boss's daughter had cancer and she got it from a bone graft that shouldn't have been given. They found a whole bunch of other people who had early stage cancer and were able to treat it. I think it is the Angela creating the Louvre for the girl in virtual reality that does it.

Oh, I love that one too. Definitely one of Angela's finest moments. And the part where the girl tells Brennan that she wants the graft out of her and Brennan has to say "it's too late, but you saved the lives of all of these other recipients..." Gah!

That reminds me of one of my absolute least favorite episodes, the one from the point of view of the dead teenager. The message of the episode seems to be that the squints didn't think of their victims as people until the psychic explained the world to them and didn't understand that the death of a child is a tragic, emotional thing until they became parents themselves. This is of course utter crap. In the early years Brennan explicitly instructed Zack that they had to detach in order to do their jobs properly. None of them were ever flip about dead children. They stepped back emotionally because they did care, not because they didn't. What a disservice to the humanity of every character on that show to imply otherwise.

• Love 5

Well, as much as I love Cindy Lauper, and I really, really do, Avalon Harmonia was a real embarrassment to all concerned.

I was fine with the initial tension between Booth and Brennan on the existence of god or the supernatural or whatever being resolved by Brennan being more open to the idea that there's a whole bunch of things in this world that aren't rational. I think they handled that nicely in the episode in New Orleans (also a favorite, btw, and not just because it gifted us with Caroline).

It's that on the way from being a reserved and socially awkward anti-marriage athiest vegan to becoming an emotionally-stunted aspergers victim who asked Booth to marry her in church with a gift of factory farmed beef jerky, the show took sides. See, the supernatural is *totally real*, and it's the place where Christine's imaginary friend is the ghost of dead unlamented Sweets.

Just, no.

• Love 1

I hate Pelant with the fire of a thousand suns.  Any mention of Pelant and my TV immediately switches to a different channel.  Talk about 'supernatural' powers.  His see all, be everywhere abilities were so ridiculously over the top he was just supremely annoying, not scary.   

• Love 10
On 4/14/2016 at 11:38 PM, Frost said:

I hate Pelant with the fire of a thousand suns.  Any mention of Pelant and my TV immediately switches to a different channel.  Talk about 'supernatural' powers.  His see all, be everywhere abilities were so ridiculously over the top he was just supremely annoying, not scary.   

Word. Hated him. Wanted him to go away.

• Love 2

I'm watching one not long after Angela and Hodgins broke up and Billy says "could he have stopped it?" and she says "yes but I could have too" and he replies "well his daddy can come down here and kick your ass, I can't do everyone's job" and combined with the wit of the line and Billy's wry southern delivery I just love it.

• Love 3

There are more moments that I had forgotten - 

Two for Hodgins.   The first is when he says "no bueno," I can't remember why, but he was adorable doing it.  The second is when Cam applied to Columbia for Michelle and Hodgins got the envelope and when Cam asked if he had something to say he says something like "Angela says not to, but this is my disapproving look" and he circles his face, then Cam says something but he makes another face and walks away.  I love that.

Cam, however, is always going to be my least favorite character because she is not Goodman.

Also I hate the pretend episode where Booth and Brennan first met because shoehorning Cam and Caroline in the ep didn't work because it didn't match how we actually first met them.

But any episode with Caroline does tend to tick upwards, because she is fabulous.

My absolute one hundred percent favorite Booth moment of all time was in an early episode, and Bones had been threatened by the gang, and Booth went after the leader and he pinned him up against the wall and put his pistol to his temple and threatened the guy with his life if he went after Booth's partner again.  David Boreanaz has never been hotter than at that moment.  And I'm not going to psychoanalyze what that says about me, thank you very much.

As cheesy as this show can be, and even when there are things I don't like, I still love it to bits. I've been working from home for two and a half years, and every day since then I've put Bones on after lunch from 1-3, and as long as TNT continues to show it, I will watch it.  I will never tire of watching the same episodes over and over and over, I mean at this point I can basically recite the older eps word for word.

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, mojoween said:

My absolute one hundred percent favorite Booth moment of all time was in an early episode, and Bones had been threatened by the gang, and Booth went after the leader and he pinned him up against the wall and put his pistol to his temple

Just a tiny clarification: Booth put the muzzle of his gun in the gang leader's mouth. And that was an awesome scene!

• Love 5

I don't remember the season or the episode, but it was before Booth & Brennan got together.  They were sitting at the bar looking at Cam and her date at a table across the room (I think it was Cam), and Brennan asks a question about relationships while she stares straight ahead and is not looking at Booth.  The look on Booth's face when he looks as Brennan and his response is so loving and sincere.  It was some excellent acting on David Boreanaz's part.  I kept that episode on my DVR forever until it got accidently erased one day.   

12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just a tiny clarification: Booth put the muzzle of his gun in the gang leader's mouth. And that was an awesome scene!

He puts the gun in the gang leader's mouth while threatening him, fakes turning to leave, and then whirls back around and puts the gun right between the guy's eyes for good measure. It is pretty great.

Though my vote for best Booth ever looked is a tiny moment a few episodes later when he bursts into the exam room in New Orleans after Brennan wakes up bruised and bloody with no memory of how she got that way. The entrance is just perfectly acted and perfectly timed. Brennan's reaction makes it even better. It's equal parts

• I meant it when I told you not to come...
  • Except I pretty much expected you to show up anyway...
  • How are you living up to my involuntary expectations that I think are unreasonable?! I don't get it!

All while asking for a rape kit cool as a cucumber and worrying about losing one of her mother's earrings.

And then Caroline shows up, so we have all the elements for a great episode firmly in place.

• Love 5

Ok one more but I actually said the word puckish today and it reminded me.

While a federal prosecutor should know better and it's basically sexual harassment, I don't care, I love when Caroline makes Booth and Bones kiss so Max can get the Christmas trailer.

I love they have to count in steamboats, I love "do you want gum?" "what no my breath is fine," I love Caroline's face and I absolutely love "you must really love your brother."

• Love 4
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

And then held it to the center of his forehead. And then let Brennan yell at him because it made him late. 

I may have also enjoyed him bodyslamming the jerk recovery specialist in Aliens in a Spaceship. 

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

He puts the gun in the gang leader's mouth while threatening him, fakes turning to leave, and then whirls back around and puts the gun right between the guy's eyes for good measure. It is pretty great.

Though my vote for best Booth ever looked is a tiny moment a few episodes later when he bursts into the exam room in New Orleans after Brennan wakes up bruised and bloody with no memory of how she got that way. The entrance is just perfectly acted and perfectly timed. Brennan's reaction makes it even better. It's equal parts

• I meant it when I told you not to come...
  • Except I pretty much expected you to show up anyway...
  • How are you living up to my involuntary expectations that I think are unreasonable?! I don't get it!

All while asking for a rape kit cool as a cucumber and worrying about losing one of her mother's earrings.

And then Caroline shows up, so we have all the elements for a great episode firmly in place.

I was sorry we never saw that cop again  She was great. And Giancarlo Esposito is always a hoot (even after you poke him in the eye). Jesus? Still not a zombie.

(Did anyone else notice that the construction worker who found the body this week was the washed-up Vegas boxer in the Woman in the Sand?)

Another great, tiny little moment is just after Caroline makes Booth and Brennan kiss.  When Booth realizes that Brennan's gum has migrated to his mouth and he takes the gum out, looks at it, then puts it back in his mouth.  I love the first few seasons so much.  I remember reading that DB and ED would go each Saturday morning for an acting class to find ways to put the Booth-Brennan attraction into their acting since it wasn't in the dialogue.  The long looks, leaning in, how each one is absolutely aware of where the other is.  Loved that.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I absolutely love "you must really love your brother."

"She does." "I do." "She does."

Nothing to see here, we're just discussing familial relationships and nothing more... Heh.

I also appreciated that they had genuine spontaneous cheek kissing before the coerced steamboat kissing. I love the little moment where Booth has agreed to let Russ see his stepdaughter in the hospital before arresting him, and Brennan kisses Booth on the cheek when she thanks him. Booth's facial expression is basically expletive-expletive-expletive, I did not mean to feel this way about her.

3 hours ago, Ava said:

I remember reading that DB and ED would go each Saturday morning for an acting class to find ways to put the Booth-Brennan attraction into their acting since it wasn't in the dialogue.  The long looks, leaning in, how each one is absolutely aware of where the other is.  Loved that.

I read something similar, though in the context of Emily saying that they didn't have time to add extra work to their schedules that way anymore since she doesn't get to see her kids every day while shooting as it is. They put a ton of blood and sweat into those early seasons and it shows.

• Love 1

If I'm remembering correctly, the acting class info was in an interview that DB gave (though my brain hasn't kept the details as to where and when).  There's an awful lot of body language going on in those first few seasons.  Bravo (in Canada) is showing four episodes every Friday evening.  They're just starting Season Five now and I've started noticing that ED has been doing that dragging out of words, where it sounds like she's desperately trying to remember her lines.  I hadn't realized that little tic goes all the way back to 2009.

For great lines, they'll never beat "Dancing phalanges!  Dancing phalanges!"

I think The Critic in the Cabernet may be the episode where the downward slide began, but it did give us Brennan cooing "You like spatial disorientation, don't you" to a confused baby, so not a total loss. 

• Love 1
(edited)

At first the dragging out of words is so sporadic that I don't think I would have noticed or cared if I had watched without knowing what she turns into by season 7. The season 7 opener is horrifying, although that was due at least as much to writing as Emily's speech patterns. Talking like a normal person wouldn't have smoothed over plot points like: Brennan gropes her breasts in the lab in front of her male subordinates; Brennan gets stuck in the furniture because she's pregnant; Brennan doesn't understand that a father-to-be might care about a baby's gender; and of course, Brennan gives birth in a manger when there's no room in the inn-- luckily with no bodily fluids or umbilical cord. 

And yet, season 7 somehow wasn't even the worst. My worst to best ranking:

Season 8: Boring cartoon Pelant, horrible characterization, gross retcons/explorations of B&B's backstories, and Sweets as the main protagonist.

Season 7: At least there's that one good episode where Ralph Waite classes up the joint.

Season 9: Credit where it's due for the intricate conspiracy plot and Emily rediscovering her acting chops for the finale.

Season 10: Because Aubrey >>>> Sweets.

Season 6: Booth is a moron, Brennan is equal parts delicate flower and computer, wacky pregnancy plots begin, and after six years of buildup, THAT is how you resolve the main serialized storyline?! RIP, VNM.

Season 11: Characterizations are tired but better; show is frequently funny on purpose instead of by accident; and overall vibe is so much more well-meaning.

Season 5: Most of the episodes are really very good, but celebrating 100 episodes by undercutting everything that happened in the first 99 is not cool.

Season 3: Excellent season with no small flaws, and one big one. There were better ways to exit Zack. It's really a shame that the writers' strike hit the show at its creative peak.

Season 4: I could nitpick about the Gravedigger reveal, but that would truly be a nitpick. The characters were great. The cases of the week were great. The acting was great. The serialized story was dragging, but okay. Excellent season.

Season 1: It took the show half a second to get its stride, but only half a second. No complaints.

Season 2: A perfect season of television. Well done by all involved. 

Edited by Panopticon
Typo. I blame Sweets.
  • Love 3

Fox is very serious about take down notices. I suggest you take advantage of the Netflix free trial and watch the pilot and the season 5 episode The Proof in the Pudding (not the worst by a long shot, but one of the first really bad ones).

On 6/5/2016 at 11:31 AM, Julia said:

I may have also enjoyed him bodyslamming the jerk recovery specialist in Aliens in a Spaceship. 

They just reran Aliens in a Spaceship. That's a great episode. I DVRd it. I just love all the science for getting out of a buried car. (If it is or isn't accurate, I'll never know but it is so cool.)  And I love the team working so well/hard together. 

On 6/4/2016 at 9:19 PM, mojoween said:

My absolute one hundred percent favorite Booth moment of all time was in an early episode, and Bones had been threatened by the gang, and Booth went after the leader and he pinned him up against the wall and put his pistol to his temple and threatened the guy with his life if he went after Booth's partner again.

I have no recollection of this (unsurprising since the show's been on forever and I was semi-late to the Bones party). I'll have to check it out on Netflix. Anyone have any idea what epi it was? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

They just reran Aliens in a Spaceship. That's a great episode. I DVRd it. I just love all the science for getting out of a buried car. (If it is or isn't accurate, I'll never know but it is so cool.)  And I love the team working so well/hard together. 

I have no recollection of this (unsurprising since the show's been on forever and I was semi-late to the Bones party). I'll have to check it out on Netflix. Anyone have any idea what epi it was? 

It also has kick-ass Brennan beating the crap out of a gang leader.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh god, Hannah. I stopped watching after they brought in Gibbs' little friend to be an ichtyologist, so this is the first time I'm seeing the episode where Hannah said thank you for saving her life by demanding Brennan's sunglasses. It's kind of hilarious that Hanson et al said they were making her a character everyone would love because she was awesome and not, say, writing her so everyone would dislike her because she was a godawful unpleasant narcissistic caricature she got in the way of the big ship.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I had hope that the Hannah arc would turn out to be interesting when I saw the sunglasses scene! That was the one time she triggered an emotional response in me. I thought that maybe the show would go the route of Hannah being progressively more horrible to Brennan and Brennan not realizing what was happening because of her desire to martyr herself for Booth's happiness and her social awkwardness. For once Angela's over-protectiveness of Brennan in interpersonal relationships would have been justified. 

But then it turned out that the sunglasses thing was somehow supposed to be cute, not psycho. And I resumed being bored by the needless plot device. 

19 minutes ago, Julia said:

Oh god, Hannah. I stopped watching after they brought in Gibbs' little friend to be an ichtyologist, so this is the first time I'm seeing the episode where Hannah said thank you for saving her life by demanding Brennan's sunglasses. It's kind of hilarious that Hanson et al said they were making her a character everyone would love because she was awesome and not, say, writing her so everyone would dislike her because she was a godawful unpleasant narcissistic caricature she got in the way of the big ship.

I feel like one of the psycho contingent by admitting this, but Katheryn Winnick later appeared on Law & Order: Criminal Intent in its 8th season in an episode. Her character was falsely accused of the crime and Goren and Eames were ripping her apart, not buying she was innocent, and I was happy that they were being so awful to her character.

My feelings were so Pavlovian there. I was glad her character was suffering!

I'm sure Ms. Winnick is a great person in real life, but the way this show handled Hannah, I just have a visceral reaction seeing her anywhere else. And it's irrational, but there it is.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I feel like one of the psycho contingent by admitting this, but Katheryn Winnick later appeared on Law & Order: Criminal Intent in its 8th season in an episode. Her character was falsely accused of the crime and Goren and Eames were ripping her apart, not buying she was innocent, and I was happy that they were being so awful to her character.

My feelings were so Pavlovian there. I was glad her character was suffering!

I'm sure Ms. Winnick is a great person in real life, but the way this show handled Hannah, I just have a visceral reaction seeing her anywhere else. And it's irrational, but there it is.

Well, since we're confessing, I have had an irrational aversion to Katherine Winnick since she played a psychotically manipulative rape victim who, for various plot-related reasons, House was forced to cave to the demands of for an endless hour on House. She's since played an equally manipulative character on Person of Interest. For some reason, the people who hire her appear to think that the characters she's playing are spunky, attractive all-american girls. They're not. I would get a restraining order if any of them refused to go away.

I hear she makes a good viking.

• Love 2