Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: A Potpourri Of Freaks

I think the key to not offending would be to not make assumptions about why someone may have a motorcycle.  

My "fun and coolness" comment was aimed at Crosby, who's said in so many words that he's too manly and carefree to drive a dad car. Point taken, however. :-)

• Love 2

So, Adam can give kids in his "culinary arts" class nicknames, but Dylan can't call Max Aspergers? That seems rather arbitrary. They didn't ask Max if he minded. It seems that a girl who is blunt and not emotionally expressive is perfect for him - even though her character seems lifted from a half dozen movies about kids in psych wards. She is quirky girl who cuts herself and smokes weed.

I agree with others that Zeek wouldn't just be home. He would have gone from the hospital to cardiac rehab, then to having a visiting therapist come in and make sure he is moving around. These days they even have at home computer systems where you have a monitor for your heart, and you connect to modem each day to send your doctor the readings.

• Love 1

Why are they so opposed to Max getting his hair cut?

Because Kristina is a psycho. Why did she want to go over and interrupt Max's conversation? Her storyline has been complete crap since the whole cancer scenerio. The run for political office and now the opening of a school - I get it that things like this might happen in the world, but it is so far fetched. Can't stand her.

This Julia and Joel stuff is going to be the death of me. I kind of liked this week and Julia clearly still loves Joel, but then the preview for next week with college guy. gah! It truely makes me raging that this is ALL somehow Joel's fault and Julia gets now 3 guys and Joel is still just Joel. I don't mind him seeing what he lost, but Julia is also losing something and it sure as hell doesn't seem like it. All the crap Julia pulled with not dealing with Victor properly, losing her job, not handling it, having an emotional affair with Ed. What did Joel do? He took a step back to decompress and whamo, he's the bad guy. ugh!

I am not into this storyline at all! I also don't agree with the idea I've seen others post on here that Joel did anything wrong. After being the perfect stay at home dad and supportive husband, when it was Julia's turn, she couldn't hold up her end of the bargain and then cheated on him. Joel had every right to need and want his space because she pushed it THAT far. For a real life couple, whether it was a husband or a wife who stayed at home so the other parent could live the life they want only to have your partner decide they're too selfish to do the same for you, must be incredibly devastating. Julia acted like Joel was supposed to just accept her apologies and get over it, and when he didn't, she immediately moved on. Joel deserves better. Julia's character is awful... and a weak parent.

Edited by stacey
Fixing quote boxes
  • Love 4

Julia acted like Joel was supposed to just accept her apologies and get over it, and when he didn't, she immediately moved on. Joel deserves better. Julia's character is awful... and a weak parent.

I disagree. I don't think Julia wanted Joel to just accept things. She wanted to talk, she wanted him to talk, with a moderator that, in theory, would be the one guiding the conversation and get them to a point where they could actually try to work on their problems. Joel resisted this.

Julia's character might be awful, but joel made a choice. He did not want to talk and Julia made hers, to move on. But now he wants to talk. So, they are both selfish because they will only accept to work on the hard stuff on their terms, and only on their terms. 

As for Julia being a bad mother, I think Joel has the a big hand on it. He was the one with Sidney on her formative years, so he should take responsibility for the brat bully she became. 

• Love 7
I am not into this storyline at all! I also don't agree with the idea I've seen others post on here that Joel did anything wrong. After being the perfect stay at home dad and supportive husband, when it was Julia's turn, she couldn't hold up her end of the bargain and then cheated on him. Joel had every right to need and want his space because she pushed it THAT far. For a real life couple, whether it was a husband or a wife who stayed at home so the other parent could live the life they want only to have your partner decide they're too selfish to do the same for you, must be incredibly devastating. Julia acted like Joel was supposed to just accept her apologies and get over it, and when he didn't, she immediately moved on. Joel deserves better. Julia's character is awful... and a weak parent.

I would agree that Joel had done everything right and Julia was the screw up...up until the point when Julia offered to go to counseling, and Joel refused and moved out instead.  Julia was selfish in the extreme, yes, but Joel did not just leave Julia, he left those kids.   He left Victor who has major abandonment issues, and he left Sydney who had been, for better or worse, the only child in the family and who was having to adjust not only to a new sibling, but a new sibling with serious emotional, behavioral and educational needs of his own.  Joel leaving and refusing to try to work on their marriage - under those particular and extreme circumstances - to me was unconscionable.  

Up until that moment, Julia was all the way in the wrong.  At the moment he refused to try to at least work on their marriage enough that they could stay in the same house and raise the kids  - not just their own two kids who'd they'd raised from babyhood, (which is hard enough) but one child now feeling displaced and angry, and a still new to the family grown and very emotionally vulnerable child - Joel lost my support as a man and as a father.

Edited by RealityCreator
  • Love 7

Yes, Joel shut her out and refused counseling/talking to her.  That was his way of dealing with what she had done.  Not productive, but his way, just as her way of adjusting to their new roles was to get cozy with big Roy from The Office.  Both are to blame for where they are now.  Both will have to want to come back from it.  Presently it looks like Julia doesn't want to, but she hasn't completely closed the door. 

• Love 1

I agree with others that Zeek wouldn't just be home. He would have gone from the hospital to cardiac rehab, then to having a visiting therapist come in and make sure he is moving around. These days they even have at home computer systems where you have a monitor for your heart, and you connect to modem each day to send your doctor the readings.

The way this is going down is almost exactly how it was with my dad, very recently.  He went home four days after surgery, and didn't start cardiac rehab for almost six weeks.  In the interim my mom had to figure out what was expected, push a depressed post-op patient to get back to it, and intuit what should be a cause for alarm.  You only get home health care if you arrange for that yourself, and when we pretty much forced my mom to ask the surgeon he said they didn't need it.  In retrospect my mom says if she knew how hard it would get she would have been more proactive in getting some help in, but the immediate aftermath is so overwhelming and they really don't know what's coming, and the US system doesn't make it easy to figure all this out on your own.  The experience they are showing is very similar to my parents' experience -  I'm very impressed by how they're portraying it.

• Love 6

Not that they can change it now, but Joel and Julia's biggest mistake was adopting Victor. Not Victor, per se, because he turned out to be a great kid, but a child older than their only child. Kudos for adopting an older child, but it can't believe the adoption people let them choose a child older than the one they already had. That's a huge no-no, displacing Sydney's position as the first child. A younger brother, maybe of 5 or 6, would have been so much smarter. No wonder Sydney is so messed up.

• Love 3

Not that they can change it now, but Joel and Julia's biggest mistake was adopting Victor. Not Victor, per se, because he turned out to be a great kid, but a child older than their only child. Kudos for adopting an older child, but it can't believe the adoption people let them choose a child older than the one they already had. That's a huge no-no, displacing Sydney's position as the first child. A younger brother, maybe of 5 or 6, would have been so much smarter. No wonder Sydney is so messed up.

Well, Sidney was a brat before that, maybe they should have exchanged the two: we will take Victor, but you MUST take her away! :p

• Love 2
there's this thing you can do to get advice, even if only to help you figure out what your standard terms should be and that is: HIRE A LAWYER.  Hire a lawyer that understands the industry specifically to draft a form contract for you that you can use over and over again.  Hell, TALK TO YOUR SISTER, the lawyer

Yeah, I don't understand how in the world they would or could do a contract without a lawyer looking it over.  Adam really screwed the pooch on this one, yet he can only blame Crosby because Oliver (or likely Submondo's lawyer) found the loophole.

I don't care what Julia did, yes wrong, but come on, a kiss is in now way the same as an full on affair, but regardless, Joel should not have moved out until the absolute very last resort.  That decision of his was the worst.  If it was just Julia, that's one thing, but you don't leave your kids when its just a marital problem that doesn't involve physical (or even verbal) abuse.

I fear for any girl that gets involved with Max, because then you'll have to deal with Kristina full time.

• Love 1
Does anyone know what the song was that was playing when Crosby was driving to the retreat? It kind of sounded like Mike Doughty's voice.

Yes, that was Mike Doughty.  What I find interesting is that it's definitely a religious song (I think Doughty wrote it while finding sobriety; I'm not aware of Doughty recording anything else that's overtly spiritual) and that it was played over Crosby's drive to the retreat.  Not sure what they were going for there, whether it was about Crosby's journey and the specific situation with Tyson Ritter/Oliver Rome, or his ultimate destination, which seems to be up in the air at the moment.  Anyway, song title is "His Truth Is Marching On." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh1Oz596p5Q&index=187

it'll just create hardship for his family.

Don't worry, they are Bravermaaaaaans.

They have the power to not need money, ever, and when they do they have the power to start a business that will succeed despite nobody working there, ever.

So, Sarah walks into the living room in Hank's shirt (scandal! Such a strumpet!) and then says, "oh, sorry, I thought it was the cleaning lady." Hey, um, Sarah, regardless of whether it's the lowly cleaning lady, your boyfriend's ex-wife, or a serial killer, is it really so hard to put on a robe or some pajama bottoms before wandering into the living room? Especially when you're not sure who's there?

Yay. Another new brat. Let me curb my enthusiasm.

• Love 5