Type keyword(s) to search

To Subscribe Or Not To Subscribe, That Is The Question: Paid Streaming Services

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t really get the pre-order thing they did it at some con earlier it’s not like it’s an object that might sellout before you can buy it or they are offering you the option of locking in a lower price.

I don’t under the need to pre-order now but the one last month was to lock in a lower price through D23. 

12 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

How bad are the commercials on Hulu’s ad-supported option? I just got an offer of $2.99/month for six months and since baseball season is almost over I am considering re-subbing.

I hate the ads. I wound up paying for the ad free option. YMMV

• Love 1

Speaking of Ads WHY are we even getting them on a streaming service we pay for? Same with cable. We now have to pay somehow for local channels. It was bad enough when we only had 3 channels to choose from but now we pay on all of them.

I'm sick and tired of paying over 200 for basic cable and then shelling out more for Netflix. I'd cut them completely if my parents didn't live with me.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

How bad are the commercials on Hulu’s ad-supported option? I just got an offer of $2.99/month for six months and since baseball season is almost over I am considering re-subbing.

They’re annoying but shorter than watching live tv. I don’t mind them too much. The most annoying part is they keep replaying the same ads so I often mute them. 

4 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

We now have to pay somehow for local channels. It was bad enough when we only had 3 channels to choose from but now we pay on all of them.

The really crazy thing is that the local channels that you get through satellite or cable are actually lower quality than the free OTA version. When I dropped cable and switched to an antenna the picture was noticeably better. 

I tried the antenna deal @Dani but I didn’t have good luck with them. Maybe it’s my location. I’d actually try again but it would start a war in my house. Even with smart TVs the husband can’t figure out how to change the channel. 

Topic...I did get the newest fire stick for my room because I couldn’t figure out how to stream Prime on my TV. I am trying some other channels as long as it’s easy. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dani said:
2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

They’re annoying but shorter than watching live tv. I don’t mind them too much. The most annoying part is they keep replaying the same ads so I often mute them. 

Also, in my experience, the ads are placed at the appropriate moments, so typically the same place you would find ads for the show if you watched it on TV. Also, I don't believe they show ads in the middle of their movies, but I might be wrong on that.  It's been a while since I watched a movie on Hulu.

• Love 1
On 9/24/2019 at 12:12 AM, Mittengirl said:

How bad are the commercials on Hulu’s ad-supported option? 

They're not terrible. It's less than if you watched on cable for sure. The only problem I have with it is what @Dani said, they're always the same couple ads over and over again. 

On 9/24/2019 at 2:35 AM, piccadilly83 said:

Also, I don't believe [Hulu] show ads in the middle of their movies, but I might be wrong on that.  It's been a while since I watched a movie on Hulu.

It's been a bit since I've watched a movie on there but I believe you're right that they don't show ads during them. 

I've also had times when they just didn't show ads during an episode of a show for some reason. And occasionally I've had the option to watch a longer initial ad in order to not have any during the episode.

• Love 1

Hulu doesn't have that many movies I want to watch but I did watch I, Tonya on there and there weren't any commercials. There might have been one at the beginning.

We've already purchased that Disney streaming for three years. It will be nice to watch a lot of the animated stuff since we only have most of it on VHS because my kids grew up in the 90s. I was looking over the list and I didn't see the live action stuff like Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast. I was hoping they'd have that stuff since I haven't seen any of it. It's possible I missed it though, that list was looong.

48 minutes ago, festivus said:

We've already purchased that Disney streaming for three years. It will be nice to watch a lot of the animated stuff since we only have most of it on VHS because my kids grew up in the 90s. I was looking over the list and I didn't see the live action stuff like Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast. I was hoping they'd have that stuff since I haven't seen any of it. It's possible I missed it though, that list was looong.

I thought that list was just of movies that will be available on the first day they go live. Other titles will populate but not on the first day. Maybe I misunderstood? I haven't signed up yet, but will.

17 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

I thought that list was just of movies that will be available on the first day they go live. Other titles will populate but not on the first day. Maybe I misunderstood? I haven't signed up yet, but will.

I would think that would be the case, but my husband is the one that signed us up so I don't know. We basically got it because of all the Marvel shows that are coming. The rest is just a bonus.

3 hours ago, jah1986 said:

Yes, it’s the titles that will be available on day 1. There were around 300 movies and tv shows announced yesterday. Disney has said that they will have 500 movies and 7,000 tv episodes after the first year so they will probably be adding new content pretty steadily. 

Edited by Guest
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I've also had times when they just didn't show ads during an episode of a show for some reason. And occasionally I've had the option to watch a longer initial ad in order to not have any during the episode.

Yes, this has happened to me as well. I can't figure out the rhyme or reason behind which episodes they choose though. I was recently watching the first episode of the latest season of The Good Place and they didn't run any commercials. The same has happened on random episodes of classic TV series from the 90s I noticed. It's always a nice surprise when it happens.

• Love 1

Verizon Customers Are Getting a Free Year of Disney+

Verizon announced on Tuesday that millions of its new and existing customers will receive a free year of Disney’s new streaming service — which will offer exclusive access to films from the Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars franchises in addition to new TV shows and movies for a subscription rate of $6.99 a month — when it launches on November 12th. Eligible customers are those who subscribe to the telecoms giant’s 4G LTE, 5G unlimited wireless, or Fios home internet services, and users will be able to access Disney’s streaming service across various platforms that include iPhone, Android, Roku, and Xbox. Of its 100 million wireless customers, Verizon says that about 50 million are on unlimited plans eligible for the Disney+ promotion.

Sucks that I qualify for this but already signed up for the three year deal. Oh well, I’m still looking forward to the launch on Nov. 12th. 

Eta: I just read that Disney announced that downloads from Disney+ will never expire as long as you are a subscriber even if they get removed from the service. That’s particularly usefully because several of the newer movies are going to temporarily move back to Netflix in a few years. 

Edited by Guest
On 10/23/2019 at 2:23 PM, Dani said:

I just read that Disney announced that downloads from Disney+ will never expire as long as you are a subscriber even if they get removed from the service.

Not exactly.

A Disney representative told The Verge that Iger’s remarks were misconstrued. As long as titles are on Disney+, they’re available for download. Once those movies and TV shows leave the service, they won’t be available as downloads, the representative confirmed. Iger was mainly speaking to Disney+ subscribers’ ability to download a number of popular films and TV series from the Disney vault that were previously unavailable.

Good news for anyone who signed up for the 3 year Disney+ deal and qualifies for the Verizon deal. According to reddit you can still use the Verizon redemption code to add a free year. 

8 hours ago, festivus said:

Only 12 hours and some change to go! I'm supposed to be cleaning the house tomorrow.

Disney+ launched early. I was able to download the app and start watching on my iPhone and firestick. 

Edited by Guest

Of course I got this. Of course I did.

The first thing I'mmagonna watch is Fantasia, because of that fight with T-Rex and Steggo, who was soooo stoopid (and the narrator said so, too!) Because that's the only way I'll get to see that portion (It's only a snippet of a bigger educational movie) of the movie I saw when I was in elementary school about how Dinosaurs came to be and how they died/became extinct.

Like I've posted elsewhere, I can't find that movie any-damn-where. Maybe this service will have a customer service department where I can ask them for the title of the original. I do know it was a Disney production.

Sigh...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm so jealous of you all. Its not on Comcast so I can't get it. Too bad I really wanted to watch some of the old Disney movies. You guys are so lucky.

I have iXfinity/Comcast too, but I also have the Amazon Fire Stick, so that's how I'm able to download the service. Free trial until next week and I opted for the annual payment. It is SO TOTALLY WORTH THE PRICE. While scrolling through what movies/shows if offers, I saw one of my favorite movies from when I was wee, which I can't recall EVER being aired on local cable or even the Disney channel--it was cheesy and probably be mocked today, but I loved it---The Cat From Outer Space. (SHUT UP! Don't Judge!)

I just have to figure out how to get my name to show up as the primary when it asks "who's watching?" All it says is "profile."

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The Cat From Outer Space. (SHUT UP! Don't Judge!)

Ha - no judgment here; a few years ago, a friend and I got to reminiscing about that movie, ordered the DVD, and watched it again.  It's still cute.  When I saw the list of what would be available on the Disney streaming thing, that was one of the few titles that jumped out at me (I'm not much of a Disney person, apparently, and the things I do like I mostly already have on DVD).

• Love 2
17 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

While scrolling through what movies/shows if offers, I saw one of my favorite movies from when I was wee, which I can't recall EVER being aired on local cable or even the Disney channel--it was cheesy and probably be mocked today, but I loved it---The Cat From Outer Space. (SHUT UP! Don't Judge!)

It did air on the Disney Channel in the late 80’s. It’s one of my favorites and I watched it whenever it aired.  It was on the top of my list of things to watch on Disney+. 

6 hours ago, Dani said:

It did air on the Disney Channel in the late 80’s. It’s one of my favorites and I watched it whenever it aired.  It was on the top of my list of things to watch on Disney+. 

Hee! Late 80s was when we FIRST got cable, and I don't think we had the Disney channel then. Just basic. I watched this in the theater when it was released. 

• Love 1
On 11/14/2019 at 9:07 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I just have to figure out how to get my name to show up as the primary when it asks "who's watching?" All it says is "profile."

In case you haven't figured it out, move up to your profile, then select it. This will take you to the edit profile/add profile screen.

38 minutes ago, TeslaNewton said:

In case you haven't figured it out, move up to your profile, then select it. This will take you to the edit profile/add profile screen.

It’s weird, when I added a profile with my name, I don’t get the FULL screen and categories as with the “profile.”

And can someone clarify whether you can get this free for the first year if you have Verizon FiOS or Verizon Wireless? I thought it was the former, so I didn’t select that I have Verizon. But a friend of mine just told me that her coworkers told her, that you had to have. Verizon Wireless.

Now, to make it even more confusing, I’ve see. Commercials in the streaming site during commercials for BOTH. Is there a number I can call? Or do I just call Verizon???

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It’s weird, when I added a profile with my name, I don’t get the FULL screen and categories as with the “profile.”

And can someone clarify whether you can get this free for the first year if you have Verizon FiOS or Verizon Wireless? I thought it was the former, so I didn’t select that I have Verizon. But a friend of mine just told me that her coworkers told her, that you had to have. Verizon Wireless.

Now, to make it even more confusing, I’ve see. Commercials in the streaming site during commercials for BOTH. Is there a number I can call? Or do I just call Verizon???

With Verizon FiOS it’s only for new customers. With Verizon Wireless it’s free for anyone with unlimited data. 

I don’t know how to add it for FiOS but with wireless you can add it in the Verizon app. Go into account and select add-ons. It should be under the entertainment tab there. 

Make sure your using the same e-mail address for both accounts and it will automatically add the free year to your existing Disney+ subscription. 

6 minutes ago, Dani said:

With Verizon FiOS it’s only for new customers. With Verizon Wireless it’s free for anyone with unlimited data. 

I don’t know how to add it for FiOS but with wireless you can add it in the Verizon app. Go into account and select add-ons. It should be under the entertainment tab there. 

Make sure your using the same e-mail address for both accounts and it will automatically add the free year to your existing Disney+ subscription. 

AWESOME! I have the unlimited data plan!!!! And yes, I’m using the same email! WOOHOO!!!!!💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

AWESOME! I have the unlimited data plan!!!! And yes, I’m using the same email! WOOHOO!!!!!💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

It really is a great perk. I just realized what I wrote was confusing. Even with the same e-mail account you’ll still have to add it in the Verizon app but it won’t make you cancel your existing Disney+ account the way the Apple Music deal did. 

1 minute ago, Dani said:

It really is a great perk. I just realized what I wrote was confusing. Even with the same e-mail account you’ll still have to add it in the Verizon app but it won’t make you cancel your existing Disney+ account the way the Apple Music deal did. 

I hope they let me do the annual charge after the first year. I’d rather just pay the whole thing and not have to worry about a monthly fee.

YES! Just saved me $70!

• Love 1

I am really tempted to get Disney Plus because I want to see The Mandalorian. What are the reviews so far? Is it the worth it? Also, can you watch it on your tv or does have to be on a computer or phone.

On 11/17/2019 at 1:42 PM, SimoneS said:

I am really tempted to get Disney Plus because I want to see The Mandalorian. What are the reviews so far? Is it the worth it? Also, can you watch it on your tv or does have to be on a computer or phone.

There’s only two episodes out so far but the reviews have been excellent. I’ve only watched the first episode but I loved it.

Disney is still working out the kinks so you might want to wait a few weeks. It’s working well for me but if you have a problem customer support is a bit of disaster at the moment.  They ended up with more subscriptions on day one then were projected for the first year.

You can watch on your tv. Here’s the list of compatible devices.

Roku

Amazon Fire and Amazon Fire TV devices

Apple TV

Chromecast

iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

Android phones and tablets

Xbox One

PlayStation 4

LG smart TVs

Samsung smart TVs

Sony’s Android-based smart TVs

Web browsers