Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Episode 2

In the wake of Danny's murder, the grieving Solano family have some questions to answer when detectives uncover a surprising piece of evidence in daughter Chloe's room, and discover that father Mark hasn't been entirely truthful. Meanwhile, Beth opens up to the town minister, an old friend.
  • Love 1

I thought it was better then the pilot, since we're now getting to know more of these characters outside of the family, and throw up a few red herrings.  I'm glad we got more on the preacher, the hotel owner, creepy Jacki Weaver, etc., and a sense of what the town is like (it's main attraction is whale sighting and so forth.)

Mark looses major points for his God-awful attempt at answering questions.  Since he's already being a suspect, I doubt he will be the killer, so I'm sure he's covering for something else.  But, still: "I don't remember" for which friend supposedly picked him up for drinks?  Not having a restaurant in mind for the cover?  Dude, come on!  Carver looked like he wanted to smack him, right then and there.

Any time a DT character gets all pissy like he is here, it just reminds me of The 10th Doctor's tantrums.

Still having problems with the Carver/Ellie partnership.  I also like Anna Gunn, but she's just leaving me... cold, I think, in this role.

Jessica Lucas' reporter is clearly going to be a major shit-stirrer.  Already worming her way into the sister's good side.

• Love 1

I liked the church guy (one of the few instances where the casting is better here).  I didn't really think Arthur Darvill was that good.

Edited by SierraMist

Well, a skateboard was spotted and we know of one person who cleans for a paycheck.  So there's that.

Just a whole lot of creepy-seeming people and the "normal" aren't overly-appealing either.

I was flabbergasted that Miller was all "the drug thing? Nbd, hon; we'll just..." to the innkeeper.  I mean...it was cocaine! That she asked a teenager to procure! Miller needs to worry about how many "one-offs" have happened in Whale Central.

I don't trust Rebecca as far as I can throw her. I am betting she has a mic/recorder or a camera with sound in the damned monkey. She is skeezy and sketchy. Hey, Chloe? Just because she was honest about being "a vulture" doesn't mean she won't feast on your family and whatever else they have to offer the media. "A Friend"? She is not.

As Mr. Ramos pointed out, the editor just dropping the fact she's not into penis anymore was sort of a "why?" moment in the show. Unless it is going to be relevant to the pregnancy or Solano being at the shack/cabin.

The dude at the playground was understandable, yet stupidily written.  No, you don't confront a detective in an on-going case of a child's murder while she is obviously talking to her son. On the playground, surrounded by lots of small kids. Asshat. If I was his wife, I would have not just let him go on and on. That way, I don't have  apologize to the friend/neighbor/ police detective.

I think I need at least one more episode before I can really make a reasonable guess.  Right now, it could be Pete! He seems...not very invested in his job.

• Love 2

I was flabbergasted that Miller was all "the drug thing? Nbd, hon; we'll just..." to the innkeeper.  I mean...it was cocaine! That she asked a teenager to procure! Miller needs to worry about how many "one-offs" have happened in Whale Central.

Miller was probably just relieved that it wasn't blue meth.

• Love 9

I hated the part about the police keeping the body for evidence reasons. That is absolutely untrue, no jurisdiction would do that.  The evidence is collected, the body is examined and photographed, and after a day or two it would be released to the family.  Otherwise, morgues across the country would be teeming with bodies, as it's unlikely that a killer will be caught quickly and in many cases no killer is ever found. 

The guy taking fingerprints was also terrible at it.  I don't know if it was supposed to show how new he was and just out of training, or if it was just typical of TV.

Additionally, I am completely unimpressed with the actor playing the father (Michael Peña).  Something about him bugs the crap out of me. The actress playing Beth is good though.   I also like the innkeeper, more than the one in Broadchurch.

Edited by kris4n6
  • Love 6

If the reporter works for a San Francisco newspaper, why is the phone number she gave to Chloe have a 707 area code?

Jeff, the guy at the park, was a jackass. Anyone who has ever watched tv knows that the police are not allowed to comment on an ongoing investigation. Asking Ellie was a dick move, but to spring that on her while she was at the playground with her kid was rude. As for asking if he needs to keep an eye on his kids, the answer is YES, you should always keep an eye on your kids even when there isn't a murderer running around. It's kind of your responsibility as a parent.

As for the dad's alibi, dude, you are terrible at lying. I can't blame Emmett for the serious side eye he gave him.

• Love 2

I'm not sure exactly what it is about Anna Gunn's portrayal here. I don't think it's bad, but something feels off and I can't quite shake it. There just seems to be a lack of spark between her and Tenant so their scenes feel a bit lifeless somehow.

Anyway, they seem to be settling in nicely. Eagerly anticipating when they start the detours since it's really hard to jump in the discussion given some of the things I already know and don't want to ruin anything for people who don't know.

Jeff, the guy at the park, was a jackass. Anyone who has ever watched tv knows that the police are not allowed to comment on an ongoing investigation. Asking Ellie was a dick move, but to spring that on her while she was at the playground with her kid was rude. As for asking if he needs to keep an eye on his kids, the answer is YES, you should always keep an eye on your kids even when there isn't a murderer running around. It's kind of your responsibility as a parent.

Oh, the guy was a total jerk, but I think the exchange was used more to show how the community doesn't see Ellie as a cop--she's just another mom on the playground to them--and also points out how she's not well suited to the job. Add to that her overlooking the cocaine charge and she looks like a complete rookie here. She wants to be one of them and before the murder she was. Now all the hidden things are coming to the surface and she's starting to see how unobservant she's been of her little community.

Even though I see what they're trying to do here, it bugs me that Ellie would've had to work her way up to detective and would've started out as a uniformed police officer answering domestic violence calls, writing speeding tickets and such. Just seems like she shouldn't be so naïve of the community at this point in her career.

On a side note, I've been having a harder time accepting this little town would have the resources to have all these detectives and a crime scene unit to run this case on their own. Small communities usually have no detectives and would hand off an investigation of this sort to state investigators. It's funny that I didn't have this issue with the British version in this regard.

Edited by DittyDotDot

Right when the dad was going to tell Carver what he was doing out late at night, my TV went to some breaking news.  Can someone tell me exactly what he said to Carver?  Otherwise, I'll have to rewatch the show On Demand to see it.  I think someone said up thread that it had to do with him going out with a friend for drinks.  Is that correct?  Thanks so much!!!!!!  

I'm not liking Michael Pena at all in the part of the dad.  Is his acting always this wooden?  I love Beth and the gal at the inn.  

Edited by maraleia

Right when the dad was going to tell Carver what he was doing out late at night, my TV went to some breaking news.  Can someone tell me exactly what he said to Carver?  Otherwise, I'll have to rewatch the show On Demand to see it.  I think someone said up thread that it had to do with him going out with a friend for drinks.  Is that correct?  Thanks so much!!!!!! 

Yes, he said he went out for drinks with a friend and when Carver asked his friend's name the dad said he couldn't remember--DUN, DUN, DUN! Carver pushed a little more and the dad basically said he's been so preoccupied with his son dying that his head is all messed up. Not a direct quote, but that's the gist of it.

I'm not loving Michael Pena either. Wasn't sure if I just didn't care for the character or if it's the acting. Maybe a good mix of both.

Edited by maraleia

"I can't remember my friends name" really, dude? You were caught in a lie with video footage, if you were having an affair it's better to tell that then be accused of murdering your kid. Of course being the first accused means he didn't do it, yet.

I'm liking this show, it's interesting enough to keep my attention which is all I ask for my tv shows. Having not seen the original probably helps as well. 

Detective Skylar is not very good at her job. If someone is dealing cocaine in your town you should probably look into that and pat them on the back and promise to keep their secrets. 

The psychic thing was a little weird and not what I expected from this show. 

• Love 2

I like the idea of this show more than I am liking the show. 

As many have already pointed out, there are pretty absurd things happening (go to the station, make a statement about the cocaine you had, we will keep this quiet and then you can keep working)

Also don't like the acting of most. Hate the reporter, the father, the sister, the priest, the cop. Even hate the kid friend.

And if the psychic will actually be a thing in this show, I don't think I will watch it. Twin Peaks was the only show that could go that way. And Gracepoint is no Twin Peaks

If the reporter works for a San Francisco newspaper, why is the phone number she gave to Chloe have a 707 area code?

Probably because 707 is to area codes was 555 is to the number proper. I always get a chuckle out of phone numbers that all start with 555 on TV shows and in movies.

I was on the fence about this show after the pilot but this episode really pulled me in. I feel like I have a unique perspective because I have never seen Broadchurch and have no idea what happened on that show. I haven't spoiled myself by looking it up online either.  There were several times when I gasped out loud so the story is definitely holding my attention. Is it groundbreaking TV? Maybe not but it's definitely a notch or two above a lot of other crap I've tried watching this season. It probably also helps that I watch it after the shit storm that Greys Anatomy has become over the last several years.

One thing I don't get is that they seem to be establishing that Danny wasn't even on the cliff, yet in the opening scene of the pilot we clearly saw Danny standing on the cliff as if he were about to jump. I don't know how I'm supposed to reconcile that unless it was supposed to be some sort of dream sequence or fantasy.

That is absolutely untrue, no jurisdiction would do that.  The evidence is collected, the body is examined and photographed, and after a day or two it would be released to the family.  Otherwise, morgues across the country would be teeming with bodies, as it's unlikely that a killer will be caught quickly and in many cases no killer is ever found.

Yeah I remember being really confused by that as well because I watch enough True Crime shows (hello Investigation Discovery) to know that people bury loved ones who were murdered all the time and the investigation is still ongoing. That Danny's body will just be sitting in that morgue until goodness knows how long because he's their "most important piece of evidence" was really ridiculous.

I agree with others that the dad is likely a red herring considering how quickly they've zeroed in on him but honestly, I almost want them to arrest him just because he's being so annoying with his blatant lies. Like your son just got murdered, the police is trying to find out what happened to him and who killed him and he's wasting their time by lying to them. Because the longer he lies and tries to bullshit that's less time spent finding the real killer because they're focusing on him. Great job asshat and he's all aggressive and defensive while he's standing there trying to lie and bullshit a detective. 

The guy in the park was a major dick but there are a lot of people for whom, if the police aren't saying something immediately and catching someone immediately, they're clearly not doing their job and that's so stupid. Of course the police can't blab about every piece of evidence they have when there is a possibility that it could alert the guilty person that they're onto them. 

So the other interesting facts - whatever Danny and Ellie's son was involved in, he was making a lot of money doing it. He clearly stopped doing the wildlife group based on some of his journal comments. The old guy is still acting shifty and the story of Danny with some stranger was a little convenient but it may just be true. The most interesting detail to me this episode though was finding out that the priest only just returned to the town. I wonder why he left in the first place and there's clearly some history between him and Danny's parents. Also, is David Tennant's character a drug addict himself or diabetic? I wasn't sure what to think about that bathroom scene of him injecting himself

Also, is David Tennant's character a drug addict himself or diabetic? I wasn't sure what to think about that bathroom scene of him injecting himself

No, he's a Doctor.  Haha.  I kid, I kid.

Gosh, Tennant's hair is so red in this!  I'm still having a problem with some of the acting in this...wish they would have done a better job with casting parts.  It is very hard to make any comments when you have already seen the original!  I don't want to give anything away.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 6

Yeah, the dad is pretty sketchy, so obviously he didn't do it.  I'm sure we'll get a sketchy character of the week as the show progresses.  The priest seems to have a few skeletons too.  He knows the mom from way back, possibly a long lost love?  Would he kill his rival's son?  (No, I'm not asking for an answer.)

The first time we see Danny standing on the cliff he had blood dripping from his hand.  That and the money, plus the journal entry about wanting to "get out" makes me wonder what kind of trouble a 12yo kid can get into in a small, close knit town.  Scary. 

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 7

I really liked the first two shows overall. Which is odd because individually I'm not a fan of some of the acting - including both detectives. Maybe they will grow on me. But I like the mystery and that every little thing makes me thing, "maybe he/she did it."

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 2

I didn't watch Breaking Bad at all, so I've no preconceived ideas about Anna Gunn. I like her so far. Also like Alisen Down (I think that's her last name), who plays the newspaper editor. I remember her from Mysterious Ways with Adrian Pasdar, about 10 years ago.

I'm enjoying the series. And yes, I did watch BC last year, but that's all I'll say about it!

Edited by Capricasix

I'm fine with the casting here, mostly. Michael Pena annoys me but I think that's because his character is a jerk, so I guess that means he's doing his job. I think the dad's mysterious rendezvous is going to be a red herring, but I enjoy that because it keeps me guessing.

The priest is odd... That might be a strange casting decision. But I want to know more about his back story with the mom.

Finally, the detective's son, the one who was best friends with the victim, he's totally creepy. Curious to know what they were up to!

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 3

Does anyone know the ratings for this second episode? I'm hoping the numbers held. I don't imagine them going up too much, but would be pleased if they kept their audience for another episode.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 1

Ratings dropped this week, but apparently the figures for people recording Gracepoint and watching later were good last week, compared to the live ratings. Doesn't seem hopeful for S2.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 1

I liked this episode better than the pilot, but the part about the kid getting killed at the house was confusing because didn't he go off a cliff in the pilot?  I recall him standing there, looking over his shoulder and then going off the edge.  Unless the CSI guy was just speculating and the poor kid was hurt at the house before making his way to the cliff?  That seems worse to me.  I hate to think of some hurt kid trying to escape and then finding himself on the edge of a cliff.  The show's in my head now so I'm committed.

I remember the priest from Justified so I had to smirk at Devil (his character on that show) playing a man of God on this one.  He seemed really into that hug with the bereaved mother, so he's either really empathetic and there's a history between those two.  I'm leaning towards the latter, given how angry her husband was.  The husband's lies and evasions were really irritating and I couldn't blame David Tennant for his annoyance this time.  The father didn't even try to prepare a decent alibi, which is why I don't think he's guilty of anything except maybe a poor choice and some stupidity.

I haven't seen Anna Gunn before but I like her as Ellie.  I don't understand though why neither the teen nor the innkeeper were charged with anything in relation to the cocaine.  Particularly the innkeeper since she, arguably, put a minor at risk by asking her for cocaine. 

I liked this episode better than the pilot, but the part about the kid getting killed at the house was confusing because didn't he go off a cliff in the pilot?  I recall him standing there, looking over his shoulder and then going off the edge.

As I recall, we see Danny standing at the cliff looking scared and emotional but you never see him jump. Then later in the Pilot after the body is found, the CSI guy stated that someone wanted to make it look like he jumped off the cliff but the evidence and body's trajectory did not support that. And they then concluded he was murdered somewhere else and placed at the beach at an angle that would make it seem like he jumped off the cliff.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Hate the reporter and hate Chloe even more for being suckered by her. 

(Paraphrasing) "Here, you keep this before someone steals it."  Uh, YOU stole it.  It probably would have been left alone by everyone else.  "If you need a friend or want to talk..." or just want to fake friendship in order to get some inside information on a story to report.  Ugh, she's so slimy anyone with half a brain cell should have seen right through that.

• Love 3

Again just an FYI- any discussion about what happened on Broadchurch and/or character comparisons is forbidden in the Gracepoint episode threads. Those discussions should be taken to these threads.

http://forums.previo...ch/#entry433950

http://forums.previo...nt/#entry434804

I will be deleting any reference to Broadchurch in this thread and the posts that contain back and forth discussions among posters. Arguing with each other is forbidden because it breaks the social contract of this site. Remember this the next time you want to post your thoughts.

Thanks,

your friendly mod maraleia

• Love 3

Again just an FYI- any discussion about what happened on Broadchurch and/or character comparisons is forbidden in the Gracepoint episode threads. Those discussions should be taken to these threads.

http://forums.previo...ch/#entry433950

http://forums.previo...nt/#entry434804

I will be deleting any reference to Broadchurch in this thread and the posts that contain back and forth discussions among posters. Arguing with each other is forbidden because it breaks the social contract of this site. Remember this the next time you want to post your thoughts.

Thanks,

your friendly mod maraleia

Thank you times 10! I rarely get into dramas and especially serial dramas, so I really really don't want to know the end (until the end) ; but well... the word "spoiler" says it all.

Thank you.

Glad to read upthread that the blood on Danny's hand as he appeared to be standing on a cliff was a dream (nightmare) by the mom. I missed that tidbit and that part was confusing for me since they had said that his body couldn't have landed at that spot and in that position from a jump or fall. Now it makes more sense.

My bf said that the dad didnt' look sad enough. I thought he looked really heartbroken; so color me surprised when his fingerprints were found and he was not where he said he was per the security camera footage. Agreed that it is too early to make the guilty person so obvious though, so imo it must not be the dad. Speculation is part of the "fun."

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

707 is the area code for Napa/Solano counties North of SF. My husband has a 707 number in SF despite not having lived in Napa in 15 years, so that detail didn't bother me. I assume people of the reporter's age get and keep a cell number from early on.

I'm not sure how I feel about this show yet. I think it's trying hard for "intense" and "slow burn" but it's ending up boring instead. Maybe because I'm such a Tenant fan from Doctor Who I'm having a hard time with him in this role. He's not dazzling me.

Edited by xtwheeler

I've never seen David Tennant before and his character bugs me. Never watched Breaking Bad so this is my first time seeing Anna Gunn in action too. Loved seeing Jason Street's friend again as the priest; can't wait to unravel his background. Really enjoying this so far.

• Love 3

I just slammed the first two episodes, and so far I'm loving it. I never saw that other show, and I never saw DT as the Doctor, so it's all fresh to me.

There were a couple of "really?" moments, but I'm in. I can see how some people might find the town a little unrealistic, but there's a city near here in the Midwest that could easily match up with this. Seasonal tourism, large enough to have a police department and daily paper, small enough that the business owners and parents all know each other.  So it rings true for me.

The cinematography is fantastic, the acting is above grade, and it's a crime drama that's not a procedural. So, yay!

• Love 3

I hated the part about the police keeping the body for evidence reasons. That is absolutely untrue, no jurisdiction would do that.  The evidence is collected, the body is examined and photographed, and after a day or two it would be released to the family.  Otherwise, morgues across the country would be teeming with bodies, as it's unlikely that a killer will be caught quickly and in many cases no killer is ever found. 

The guy taking fingerprints was also terrible at it.  I don't know if it was supposed to show how new he was and just out of training, or if it was just typical of TV.

Additionally, I am completely unimpressed with the actor playing the father (Michael Peña).  Something about him bugs the crap out of me. The actress playing Beth is good though.   I also like the innkeeper, more than the one in Broadchurch.

I agree with your entire post. Been Ellie said that, my only thought was, "So if it takes you ten years to find the killer, the police will just keep Danny's remains and he will never get a burial?" Makes you wonde what idiot cam up with that line and what idiots failed to catch this glaring error.

I think that the actress playing Ellie and Pena are poorly cast. The Ellie actress is failing to make her seem competent, let alone likable. She just comes off as not deserving the position she constantly bitches the Tenant about. As for the father, he just lacks subtlety in the role. I don't know how to explain it other than to say he chews the scenery, yet never conveys an actual emotion.

The Ellie actress is failing to make her seem competent, let alone likable.

I'm seeing someone who is dealing with a crime unlike any she's ever had to deal with before, while simultaneously dealing with the fact that the promotion she was reasonably expecting would be hers went to some unknown who did an end run on her and immediately sets out to prove that he is an asshole inversely proportional to the size of his tiny, little, fuzzy head.  When she tries to be mature about it and move ahead with the urgent case at hand, she gets more toolish behavior in return.  It's hardly surprising that she appears a little off-balance.

Personally, I think the next time he gives her any more bullshit, she should pull out her police grade tazer and give him 150,000 volts directly in the nuts.

• Love 3

Gemma, the innkeeper, said that she ordred the cocaine for a couple who was down from Seattle for the weekend.

That is an extraordinarily long weekend trip.

If the couple drove, that would mean driving from Seattle to the (northern) Oregon border, across all of Oregon and then half way down the Northern California coast.  If Gracepoint is about half way between San Francisco and the (southern) Oregon border, it would be at least 674 miles, one way from Seattle to Gracepoint (that was the shortest route that Google calculated when I used Leggett, California as a geographical stand-in for Gracepoint).

That's a 1348 mile roundtrip.  Who goes on a 1348 mile rountrip over a weekend?

I suppose the couple could have flown down to San Francisco and then driven up, but that's still a pretty long haul for a weekend.

It would have made more sense if the writers said the couple were from San Francisco.

Or, better yet, if this is the end of the cocaine story, if they left out the cocaine story in the first place.

• Love 1

One can fly nonstop from Seattle to Sacramento in a little over an hour and then drive north. Alaska Airlines has multiple flights a day. It is less than 200 miles from Sacramento to Leggett. Or perhaps take a Seattle/Portland/Redding flight and then a short drive to the coastal destination. A weekend trip from Seattle to northern California is quite doable.

• Love 1
It seems that standard mystery novel writers would not introduce a character, with a specific location, if that character and that location wasn't significant in some way.

Chekhov's Pistol.  But this principle is frequently broken for effect, so don't be 100% reliant on it.

707 is the area code for Napa/Solano counties North of SF. My husband has a 707 number in SF despite not having lived in Napa in 15 years, so that detail didn't bother me. I assume people of the reporter's age get and keep a cell number from early on.

She also hasn't been in SF very long, she mentioned that she used to work on a small town newspaper in whatever town that Emmett used to work in. I live in SF and ton of my friends have different area codes on their personal cell phones.

Edited by biakbiak

If they wanted this same story on US network TV, they should have just aired Broadchurch on Fox (and, yeah, I know it's complicated…); this is a pale version - acting and directing wise.  Doesn't come close to the original.  I will never understand why they did this - 

• Love 2

I'm enjoying this show, although I have some quibbles.

After The Killing I developed an almost allergic sensitivity to red herrings and resent their inclusion in any plot (although I know they are part and parcel of the whodunit genre).   Easier to swallow in a two-hour movie, just plain aggravating when served up repeatedly over ten or twelve weeks.     That said, Nick Nolte strolling past the kiddie park was a bit much.   The lady with the skateboard in the closet, ditto.

I don't like the father.   Mostly I don't like the actor.   Seems wrong for the part.   As for whether he's the killer -- we've been down this road too many times.   We all instinctively know it's much too early in the series for the real killer to be revealed, or even suggested.  Knowing that, it just feels like the show's wasting our time.

I also get annoyed with plot contrivances occurring at critical moments when it seems a character may reveal an important detail -- for example, the cell phone ringing as the detective is demanding to know who the father was with the night of the murder (he never gets an answer, of course).   Another time waster.

Anna Gunn's doing a good job.   Her character seems bewildered and worried, but keeping it together.

I enjoy mysteries that establish an ominous atmosphere, that use the grandeur and indifference of nature to underscore how puny human life is in the big scheme of things, but I'm almost always disappointed at the end when the mystery is solved and the killer turns out to be a serial killer, a drug deal gone bad, a jealous husband, etc.   IMHO, all that heavy atmosphere demands a more transcendent resolution.

Edited by millennium

As Mr. Ramos pointed out, the editor just dropping the fact she's not into penis anymore was sort of a "why?" moment in the show. Unless it is going to be relevant to the pregnancy or Solano being at the shack/cabin.

I think that was the editor's way of calling the SF journalist a dick, notwithstanding the fact that the SF journalist is a woman.

• Love 1

Why the heck would they be OK? It seems to be only the next day or so that they found out about this.

Yes, indeed. The bartender/innkeeper told the loud, mouthy drunk that it hadn't been 40 hours since Danny had been found. ( Drunk fisherman/ guide was peeved about the crimes scene tents potentially driving away tourists and was sitting next to the priest.) I believe it was mentioned in dialog that this was a Saturday night and Danny was found relatively early on Friday morning. 

No one should be okay or "over" this crime yet. 

Also? Yes, Nick Nolte strollin' past the playground was creeptastic.   Jackie Weaver is selling some shares of cree-pee as well.

Gemma, the innkeeper, said that she ordred the cocaine for a couple who was down from Seattle for the weekend.

That is an extraordinarily long weekend trip.

If the couple drove, that would mean driving from Seattle to the (northern) Oregon border, across all of Oregon and then half way down the Northern California coast.  If Gracepoint is about half way between San Francisco and the (southern) Oregon border, it would be at least 674 miles, one way from Seattle to Gracepoint (that was the shortest route that Google calculated when I used Leggett, California as a geographical stand-in for Gracepoint).

That's a 1348 mile roundtrip.  Who goes on a 1348 mile rountrip over a weekend?

I know people who have driven from San Francisco to San Diego for a weekend trip. It's about 500 miles in each direction and it's about eight hours each way (less if you drive at night and there's no traffic). Some people just don't like to fly, some people don't want to pay for the airline tickets, and some people just like driving (I am none of the above in that situation, but who am I to judge if other people want to spend eight hours in a car?). I agree that it's also likely that they flew.

She also hasn't been in SF very long, she mentioned that she used to work on a small town newspaper in whatever town that Emmett used to work in. I live in SF and ton of my friends have different area codes on their personal cell phones.

I know lots of people whose personal cell phone area codes don't match where they live because people tend to keep their numbers when they move, but I just assumed that if you worked for the SF Chronicle, they would give you a work cell phone. Heh, and the reason why so many people in SF have cell phones with non-415 area codes is because most people who live in San Francisco aren't originally from San Francisco! Seriously, in all my years living in California, most of the people I have met who live in San Francisco are from everywhere else, and the few people I have met who were actually born and raised in SF proper (not, say, Orinda) moved out of SF and settled elsewhere (whether that means Marin or an entirely different state).

Been Ellie said that, my only thought was, "So if it takes you ten years to find the killer, the police will just keep Danny's remains and he will never get a burial?" Makes you wonde what idiot cam up with that line and what idiots failed to catch this glaring error.

This is the kind of error that drives me crazy. Stuff like the couple from Seattle visiting for the weekend where it's possible that there's a plausible explanation, fine. But this kind of huge mistake makes me question all the logic of the show, the veracity of the situation, and the stupidity of the entire writing staff. Like not one person on the staff said, "Uhhh, I don't think that's actually true"? Everyone thinks that the police have a freezer full of bodies waiting for the crime to be solved before the bodies can be released for funerals?

• Love 1

This is the kind of error that drives me crazy. Stuff like the couple from Seattle visiting for the weekend where it's possible that there's a plausible explanation, fine. But this kind of huge mistake makes me question all the logic of the show, the veracity of the situation, and the stupidity of the entire writing staff. Like not one person on the staff said, "Uhhh, I don't think that's actually true"? Everyone thinks that the police have a freezer full of bodies waiting for the crime to be solved before the bodies can be released for funerals?

Yep, this was definitely an eyeroll moment. If they had said, "we have to keep his body until the state M.E. comes to take a look," that would have made more sense. They don't keep bodies on ice until they have convictions, because that would just be impossible.  But also because a small town like this likely would not have a forensics expert at the level required.  As I mentioned upthread, I live near a comparable RL city.  The police force has a couple of forensics people, but if they caught a crime anywhere near something like this - dead kid, no suspects, parents connected to the cops - their first call would be to the state police for assistance.  Not necessarily for help with the interviews, etc., but forensics is often a matter of technology, which small cities can't afford.

• Love 2

Just wading in to weigh in on the 707 area code issue. 707 covers Napa and Sonoma counties (Wine Country) which are a commutable distance to SF (Sonoma more than nap - it even has express bus lines). I have a 707 number and commuted to SF for five years for work from Sonoma county. If she's from the area, there's no reason why she'd change her number and there's also no reason why working in SF would mean living in SF, even for a journalist. So 707 actually makes a lot of sense.

I've never seen David Tennant before and his character bugs me. Never watched Breaking Bad so this is my first time seeing Anna Gunn in action too. ………. Really enjoying this so far.

Same here.  I came across a repeat of the pilot last night and was curious, so I took a peek.  That peek turned into binging the next 2 episodes so I'm all caught up now.  I am anxiously waiting for the next epi.  It is rather slow-moving and quiet, but that's ok with me.  It makes me concentrate on what's happening.  Plus, I LOVE mysteries and whodunits.

Lots of potential suspects, but my gut says that it's not the Dad.  He's written to look very suspicious so I'm now looking at others.  The creepster lady in the trailer?  I've got my eye on her.  She's just plain old weird, and a skateboard in the closet doesn't help matters.  But, again, that could be something to throw us off.  Again, perhaps too obvious.

With that said, it's different from many things on TV right now, so I'm all in for the remaining 7 episodes.

Edited by wineaux
  • Love 1

Miller is terrible at her job. She interferes in a suspects' questioning because she doesn't want to believe it can be him, makes allowances for a friend of the family who actually did commit a crime, and is generally incompetent. I'm not a cop and I know the majority of murders are perpetrated by a person know to the deceased; a friend or family member. In the real world she would already be thrown off the investigation.

• Love 2