Type keyword(s) to search

American Dad - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So, liked this episode and Roger wasn't a total sociopath in this one. Plus, I thought that it was cute to have Stan read to the family and then say, "the end" and place the book on the bookshelf (and the book was titled,"American Dad! on FOX). 

Oh, I was really happy that they showed more of the golden poop story!

Edited by TVSpectator

OK fluffy(pun intended) story with a nice twist ending. The more important thing this episode:

The Golden Turd is back! How long has it been since a chapter (not counting the rapture X-Mas episode)?

Edited by VCRTracking

So now we've seen the final three Fox episodes. I think they started off great, and went downhill from there.

The first one, with Roger selling the bar, was terrific. I had a much more mixed reaction to the second one, with Roger posing as a Russian boy so he could live with Greg and Terry. It had its funny moments, but I hated that the writers basically shit all over the Greg and Terry characters.

So now they don't really love Libby, and they see their children only as fashion accessories? I know that Greg and Terry have always embodied some ridiculously over-the-top gay stereotypes, but what made the characters work were that they were lovable nonetheless.

Now all of a sudden they're monsters, who represent what Pat Robertson thinks gay parents are like? It isn't funny satire, it just feels...wrong. Hell, for all of the harm Stan causes, he at least learns something by the end of his episodes, and tries to do the right thing.

And aside from the golden turd, I really didn't like this third one. The Kim Kardashian twist was unexpected, but I didn't think it was particularly funny - and it doesn't make up for having to listen to her voice.

There were a few good gags, but mostly it was all very hit-or-miss. It felt like the writers were just throwing a bunch of jokes at the wall, and only a few of them stuck.

This episode was better than last week's.  I don't like Kim Kardashian, but the alien turning into her at the end made me laugh.

Was pleasantly surprised to see them continue the Golden Turd of Doom after 8 years.

I don't know whether I'll keep watching on TBS because Roger continues to sicken me (altho he wasn't as bad as usual in this ep), but we'll see.

Now all of a sudden they're monsters, who represent what Pat Robertson thinks gay parents are like? It isn't funny satire, it just feels...wrong. Hell, for all of the harm Stan causes, he at least learns something by the end of his episodes, and tries to do the right thing.

And then forgets it all by the next episode. I think Greg and Terry are only as messed up as all the other characters and not even that bad compared to Bullock or Principal Lewis. Whether they're black, white, straight, gay or alien, everybody(except Jeff) is a monster!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

And then forgets it all by the next episode. I think Greg and Terry are only as messed up as all the other characters and not even that bad compared to Bullock or Principal Lewis. Whether they're black, white, straight, gay or alien, everybody(except Jeff) is a monster!

Every character is a certain degree of asshole on AD, always has been.  Just like Roger has been a sociopath, and a sometimes homicidal one, since at least midway through season one.  AD is not Bob's Burgers.

The characters on American Dad may do awful things, but we've never seen Francine try to kill her children. Even Stan, as horrible a person as he can be, only attempted that when he had dementia, and thought they were trying to kill him.

I think Greg and Terry are only as messed up as all the other characters and not even that bad compared to Bullock or Principal Lewis. Whether they're black, white, straight, gay or alien, everybody(except Jeff) is a monster!

What bothered me about the Greg and Terry story line was that they referred to "adopting" Libby. Now, I know you can't really expect continuity on a cartoon where people don't age in real time and it's always the present, and I know that continuity doesn't mean anything to the creators of "American Dad" (I think I read that some place -- maybe AV Club), but Francine was their surrogate and either Greg or Terry is Libby's biological father.

I would have thought that Greg would be the one who would try to "junk food" it up on the side, not Terry. 

And maybe I shouldn't have, but I laughed when Roger opened the airplane door and Michael got sucked out. Normally, I don't like his homicidal tendencies, but this was funny.

I liked the return of the Golden Turd, too. The woman being executed -- that was the cop's wife who found it all those years ago? 

What bothered me about the Greg and Terry story line was that they referred to "adopting" Libby. Now, I know you can't really expect continuity on a cartoon where people don't age in real time and it's always the present, and I know that continuity doesn't mean anything to the creators of "American Dad" (I think I read that some place -- maybe AV Club), but Francine was their surrogate and either Greg or Terry is Libby's biological father.

I think it's less them forgetting about continuity and more it's too much to explain to a new viewer. It's just easier to say she's adopted without going into details, one of which is her name "Libbie" is short for "Liberty Belle" which was the name Stan picked for her when she kidnapped her to give to a heterosexual couple! It's something better to ignore just because it's weird that Francine shows no interest in this girl she gave birth to even though she just lives right across the street. 

The characters on American Dad may do awful things, but we've never seen Francine try to kill her children.

I don't know, her pretending to shoot Hayley with a gun from a distance while on vacation and saying "I should have done this along time ago." seems pretty dark!

Edited by VCRTracking
I don't know, her pretending to shoot Hayley with a gun from a distance while on vacation and saying "I should have done this along time ago." seems pretty dark!

Plus, in the episode where Hayley causes havoc when Jeff dumps her, Francine yells at Stan to "Shoot her! Shoot her in the face!" when Hayley grabs Francine.

So, I know the show is moving to TBS...but is this a situation to just air unaired episodes (I think King of the Hill did it way back when airing a handful of episodes on Adult Swim) or is this a new station for the show to continue on?

So, I know the show is moving to TBS...but is this a situation to just air unaired episodes (I think King of the Hill did it way back when airing a handful of episodes on Adult Swim) or is this a new station for the show to continue on?

I think that the past three episodes were just FOX getting rid of the rest of Season 10 (and/or their renaming episodes under contract) and getting American Dad! out of their lineup fast.

Oh, btw, American Dad! will start to air (with all new episodes) on Oct 20 @ 9/8c on TBS:

http://www.tbs.com/shows/american-dad.html

• Love 1

I think that the past three episodes were just FOX getting rid of the rest of Season 10 (and/or their renaming episodes under contract) and getting American Dad! out of their lineup fast.

Oh, btw, American Dad! will start to air (with all new episodes) on Oct 20 @ 9/8c on TBS:

http://www.tbs.com/shows/american-dad.html

Thanks for the info.

• Love 1

When her efforts to save the planet prove hopeless, Hayley decides that she might get more attention if she becomes a blonde. Meanwhile, Stan and Steve go on a mission to find a new home for the Smiths.

I would be too! This was a pretty good darkly comic episode. I hope this theme continues. 

I don't think Hayley needs blonde hair, but she's always looking mousey with the head band as a brunette. If she actually did her hair she'd be fine. Drunk Hayley is looks pretty fun to hang out with. 

I was not expecting the whales. That was awful and hilarious. 

When Bullock sends a drone to do the job Stan and his colleagues are supposed to do, Stan is determined to prove that humans are better than robots. Meanwhile, Francine and the rest of the family participate in a slow motion race against each other in the living room.

Steve and Snot are fed up with being bullied. When they enroll in a karate class, Snot is brainwashed by the sensei, and it's Steve's mission to get him back. Meanwhile, Klaus develops a horrible odor and is forced to be an outside pet.

This one seemed to try too hard, and just didn't work for me. I did like the king's diamond-encrusted inhaler and his waking up wondering why he wasn't speaking in his native language. Also, the torturer was kind of funny too. I thought with Bullock going mechanical, there would be callbacks (callouts? meta-whatever) to Picard-as-Locutus of Borg.

Also, all the promos that keep talking about the new "edgier" "American Dad"? I hope that's not just code for "we get to use swears now!"

I liked the Klaus storyline, but I thought the Steve-and-Snot storyline was kind of weak.

I'm feeling like something is lacking from this current season - like the writers are going for "wacky" above all else, and the wit just isn't as sharp.

I think the choice of bullying seemed like a weird plot since there's so much anti bullying awareness now. Klaus' plot was really funny though. 

I don't think it's too wacky. This is a show that's done an episode on a killer hot tub, and it's canon that Jeff is traveling through space with the ghost of Sinbad. 

I'm feeling like something is lacking from this current season - like the writers are going for "wacky" above all else, and the wit just isn't as sharp.

I felt the new episodes feel a little..."off"...

The Klaus story was fun...seems like he usually gets the shaft...

...The Steve/Snot story wasn't interesting until Roger showed up...IMO...I did enjoy Steve thinking his "training" was really something though...got a good giggle...

When the CIA is forced to make cutbacks and go on furlough, Stan volunteers to take a position as a college campus security guard. Meanwhile, Roger opens a bed and breakfast to boost the family's income.

I have seen this episode also listed as "Big Stan on Campus".

I agree, although I don't necessarily think that they're going for "wacky" as much as "edgy," as in "We get to swear now!"

I didn't care for Klaus's story, not because I don't like when he gets his revenge on the family -- I do -- but what was the smell from? I kept wanting to say, "Clean his damn bowl! That's probably why he smells!"

I still think it's funny how every one of Roger's characters pretty much knows everyone else in town.

• Love 1

I feel this season has been off as well.  It's just not as interesting to me for some reason.  I wonder if it's b/c Mike Barker left as a co-showrunner.  I really think they seem to have reigned in Roger, or perhaps they have let the family go more wacky and that is why Roger doesn't stand out as much anymore.  Perhaps as the season goes on that will changed, but come on writers play to your strengths.  If not, i'm hoping they just end the series.

• Love 1

I thought the b plot with the hotel should have been the main plot. It seems like they could have mined that for more laughs. Also, the family didn't have much to when Stan went on the CIA mission either.

But keep Bullock's entrance on the throne. 

Steve's horror was great. They could have really gone on another minute or so. 

They can curse now on TBS w/o it being bleeped, or just omitted basically.  I'll be honest, I feel like this is a more watered down version of American Dad and i'm not enjoying it as much.  I posted this in another thread for American Dad, but I do think it is b/c Mike Barker left as one of the show-runners.

• Love 1

No, Steve's horror went on as much as it should have....especially when we saw the pillow case full of poop.

I still think the Stan plots this season are bringing down the show.  They either need to focus on Roger or the full Smith family.

I actually enjoyed this episode and barely missed Roger, but that being said bring on the zany Roger stories as the A plot.  

I didn't know/remember that Francine had an older sister.

We got another edgy moment as Francine said "fuck."

Edited by CMH1981

I didn't know/remember that Francine had an older sister.

I know they talked about her in an episode where Francine found out her parents planned to leave everything to Gwen after they die. She thought it was because Gwen is the biological daughter, but it was because Francine had her life together and Gwen was a mess. I can't remember if that was the first time Gwen has been mentioned, though.