Type keyword(s) to search

Something Borrowed, Something New - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yes! After all the squawking about it being a Catholic ceremony, those breasts were out and waving in the wind.

Lol so true that dress was too tight on her at too if it had been better fitted at the bust it may have looked better

Agreed. The coffee dress was beautiful and flattered her. The Kelly redo was unflattering, made her look frumpy, and resembled a badly done intro-to-sewing home ec. project. The single layer of whatever it was hanging out of the bottom of the dress made it look as though her slip was showing. If there'd been several layers of (what I'm going to call) crinoline filling out the skirt and peeping out of the bottom it would have been far more attractive. I, also, worry about a bride who turns to her groom for every decision. If nothing else, she's the one wearing the dress. A better solution might have been that he got to see the borrowed and the new, but would have to wait until the wedding day to see which one she picked. 

• Love 1

God, yes. It seemed like the borrowed dress may have been a horrible fabric to start with, but the end result was a complete crisis. I agree the new dress was lovely and different and suited the bride perfectly. So did the first one she tried on that the groom deemed too fancy.

All I remember about the other episode is that the father was adorable.

I wouldn't swear on it, but want to say the two episodes are always one of each, borrowed or new.

I had trouble figuring out why a glittery belt was added to the Persian girl's new dress. It was lost in all the glitter on the dress itself. AFAICS, it was a useless accessory. The borrowed dress had potential; in fact I thought it was one of Kelly's better efforts. Except . . . was it my TV, or was the top whiter than the bottom? That'd be a deal breaker for me. And that seems to be the thing about a lot of Kelly's designs. There's always a detail or two that has me saying WTF? We've seen her whiten old lace before and we've seen her tea-dip newer fabric to make it look older. Why didn't she match the fabric colors this time?

Edited by rur

I so agree about the barn girl's dress.  Kelly's was awful, and I thought there was no way she would choose it over that other beautiful gown.  When she did I was sad for her.  The other one would have been a dress to remember, and would have fit her theme quite nicely--and it was very flattering on her.  

As for the Persian girl, I kind of liked her new gown.  I liked also that the design was a little simple, while glittery...so it gave her that extra something without adding more material to the gown.  I did kind of like Kelly's for that one--the bottom was very interesting.

Last night's episode with the 2 sisters who both claimed to want to wear their mother's dress was different.  I did not like the final design that Kelly came up with for the mother's dress.  The dress did not look like it fit either bride in some places, but maybe because it was made to fit the one who ended up with it, that's why it looked funny on the other one.   I thought the new dress that the other sister chose was so-so, but she said it was her style and what she was comfortable with, so OK.   

The borrowed dress did look better on the sister who ended up with it, but that's not saying much. Kelly brought the see-through netting so far around to the front that it didn't look possible to wear a bra. There could have been one built one in, I suppose, but I feel like that's giving Kelly too much credit.

The mother sure seemed to favor the darker-haired daughter. A bit of Everyone Loves Alysha going on in that house.

In the other episode, I was more interested in the father's natty outfits than anything the non-Disney, non-princess bride wore. Her borrowed dress looked pretty frumpy, but that's kind of expected at this point. She and the groom looked really happy at their wedding, so all good fortune to them.

• Love 1

That disney bride's dress was hideous! I was shocked she picked it. As usual it looked nothing like the original nor did it have any of the fabric, just  a few pasted on appliques. Gosh was it ugly- probably one of the uglier ones Kelly has made.

the 2 sisters thing was weird as the one who picked it said she was going for this Princess over the top angel dress and the dress was very plain, more suited for the other sister. weird episode.

• Love 1

The two-sisters-one-dress episode was interesting in that the editors managed to squeeze in 6 new dresses instead of the normal 3. The show's pacing, script, and amount of discussion all seemed normal to me, so not sure what they cut.

I loved the lace halter dress with the covered buttons down the back that the Disney princess, magician dad's, daughter chose for her new dress, but then she went for the frumpy makeover of her mother's gown instead. The makeover dress was bulky at the waist but did have sleeves. That might have made a difference to her.

I wouldn't want to be on this show and have to say no to a sloppy makeover of Mom's '70's polyester dress. The remodeled dress is cheaper, however, so that might be a consideration for some of the brides.