Type keyword(s) to search

Lovesick - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

In a flashback to 10 months earlier, Luke drags Dylan and Evie to a posh party in the country. Luke is desperate to sleep with childhood crush Ilona McLeod, who holds a prominent position on his 'things to do before I die' list.

I don't expect much discussion about this show since there's no legal way to watch it here in the US, but once it hits Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu, I think more people will discover it and love it.

Tonight's was really good with a great, unexpected result.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In a flashback to three years ago, it's Evie's birthday and she plans to tell Dylan about her feelings for him over a quiet meal, but before she has a chance, all their friends jump out to surprise her, including Dylan's girlfriend Jane and Jonno, a horribly incompatible date that Luke has brought along for Evie.

I liked this episode a lot. It was basically a prequel to the very first episode.

This show doesn't feel like it's getting enough traction to survive. It's entertaining but it often feels like it's spinning its wheels until there's the moment the two leads declare their love for each other...

In a flashback to four years ago, Dylan has been seeing Bethany for several months, but when she invites her protective big brother over to dinner a terrifying thought occurs to him that he has fallen into a serious relationship with her.

Meanwhile, Luke drags Evie away from a photo assignment to a work bowling night in order to find out why his new boss Diana has turned all the women in the office against him.

I haven't watched yet, but I thought Dylan was going through his list alphabetically? 

Well Jane already knew last week two episodes ago, so he's clearly farther along than the B's. But since he's trying to have meaningful contact with most of these women, it makes sense that some of the meetings take a little time to arrange. 

That said, they could at least keep the episode titles in alphabetical order, since they are making up the names of episodes/women anyway. Maybe they switched the order late in production. I don't see any reason why this episode couldn't have come before "Cressida" but "Cressida" was a stronger episode and so maybe they decided not to hold off on it.

ETA: So this one establishes that Evie's been carrying a torch for Dylan for at least four years. That's getting into ridiculous length of time territory. Especially since they already seem close and the end of things with Bethany would seem to have presented a window.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat

Well, after that ending I really hope the show comes back next year.

Yes, Thank you Luke! I was sick of you until you finally did something that makes having an outspoken, obnoxious best friend worthwhile.

So, I guess this was the origin of Dylan and Evie's hang up about not getting romantically involved. I'm not sure I completely buy it. People are more likely to make the same "mistakes" again and again, regardless of resolutions. Not that Evie/Dylan would be a mistake, or that Evie is really sticking to her resolution in any way but actually pulling the trigger.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

People really need to be better at naming their TV shows, because going by the title I thought this would be some godawful piece of crap a la "Good Luck Chuck."  I gave it a chance anyway having learned my lesson with Cougar Town, but how many people are there who will give badly-named TV shows second chances because of Cougar Town?  And really, even if there are lots of us, why put that obstacle in front of your show?  Isn't it already hard enough to be successful?   Anyway that was way better than I expected, and I hope there's more of it. 

• Love 1

Yes, Thank you Luke! I was sick of you until you finally did something that makes having an outspoken, obnoxious best friend worthwhile.

I don't think British shows do the obnoxious friend thing very well (unless the obnoxious one is the main character, like in Fawlty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances, or Absolutely Fabulous (well Edina and Patsy are an obnoxious team). In American comedies you understand why the lead might befriend someone annoying like Kramer or George (Seinfeld), Carla or Cliff Clavin (Cheers), Sheldon or Howard (BBT), Barney (HIMYM) etc., but I'm often at a loss with the obnoxious friend in British comedies that I've seen. They're not used economically; they tend to talk pointlessly and rarely move the story forward. So, yeah, it was nice to see a point to Luke.

Just found this show on Netflix. The first episode is off to a great start -- I like the past-relationship-centric and twist-y approach to the structure, and the setup makes it a nice companion for Catastrophe (in tone, if not in utter hilarity). The casts seems likable enough, and for a show that's about tracking down past sexual partners to inform them of a STD, there's heart to this one that makes me want to stick with it.

I liked that with this one, we didn't find out who "Abigail" was to the end of the episode -- I had assumed that she was the awful wedding date. 

• Love 1

So frustrating. I just found this on Netflix and it was excellent. I wish there was a better way to find these shows. Netflix's description made me pass by it. The only problem I would say is that it seems like they blew their wad on the first 6 shows... and there may be no logical way to go into a season two.  I thought we did find out that Abigail was the waitress / hotel check in clerk. 

• Love 1

I love this episode because it gives us more back story on Luke and showcases the fact that he wasn't always a player and once did believe in love and monogamy. I know the show is about Dylan and Evie but I do enjoy the glimpses of everyone else's relationship history like Luke and Angus. 

My reaction to this entire season so far (three episodes in) is the opposite.  I do not like the backstories as they seem really to contradict and undermine the original characters.  Especially Luke.  I loved the self-recognized self absorbed vapidity Luke had.  And I simply don't see his character in the disastrous dinner date with the power outage in the first season as someone who had his tender over eager for true monogamous love feels hurt by a rejection like we saw here.  The Luke in season one and that episode in particular was a character who knows he has tons of faults that can be obstacles to getting what he wants, but as that wonderfully hilarious list of flaws goes on it is clearly (and so wonderfully written and then played by Ings for me) also a self-recognition of how those flaws define him and he is quite okay with that.  It is not until he finds out that the one time he did find his soul mate and he stepped aside out of "honor" to Dylan and then finds out she is lost for good that he makes a transition and grows.  To have it weakened by this overly simplified and incredibly trite attempt to, I don't know what, make him more likeable?  I'm not sure what.  It kind of pissed on the character for me.  And made his realization in the end of season one weaker since Luke did have love before the death of the one that got away.  He had one that got away alread.  Boo hiss.

And boo hiss to Dylan and Evie hooking up prior to the weekend party.  Again it seemed retconned horribly.   The stunning fall into the sack to me in the first season was the turning point.  Except it gets weakened by finding out they had a hookup history already. 

Maybe this was all built into the first season's writing.  But to me so far, I feel like, amusing as this season is so far (Angus is the winner for me by the episodes I have seen), it is has a different set of writers or they wrote the first season drunk and have now sobered up.  I liked the drunk set of writers. 

I know everyone has a type, but how Dylan gets so many women so fast with a face that always seems pained and some of the most hideous hair ever is beyond me.  And his instant clingy-ness seems overdone even more so far.  We get it.  He is sensitive.  He even can't comb his hair he is so sensitive.   I would love if the show did not get Dylan and Evie together in the end.  I find them incredibly annoying with the constant wet eyed quivering held in emotions.  I suspect that is not going to happen, but two decent characters for the most part become huge attention sucks in a bad way when they are together in their silent tug of war of thwarted need for each other.  funny how the main premise of the entire show is the most compelling reason for me to stop watching a show that I still somehow manage to like.

• Love 5

So I finished this season and have mixed feelings.  I still like the tone of the show and I still like Luke and Angus and was glad to see Angus get a bit more of an individual role.

But I felt a real disconnect on several levels that detracted from the show.  I actually find myself really not rooting for Dylan and Evvie at all.  And while I could so easily be wrong, it felt like their history took on a whole new level in terms of past intimacies that has Evvie in particular for going with Mal rather difficult for me to overlook.  I felt like the writers were trying to build a case that Evvie and Dylan had a much bigger and longer past beyond friendship to balance out the cheating on Mal at the weekend party last season. 

But for me, instead, it it made the two look worse and especially Evvie.

The writers have not convinced me in the slightest that Evvie love Mal and they have not really convinced me she doesn't truly know that either.  Which makes her look sad at best but also rather cruel and self-serving in a way that is really offensive.  And to throw in the anvil of the whole wedding venue bit with his parents was so trite and a mediocre element.  All it did was make me care less about Evvie, not find Mal to be the "wrong un" and sigh in hopes Dylan and Evvie will finally find each other.

I also wasn't sure why Dylan lied about sleeping with Evvie after the wedding.  It made no sense for him to.  Evvie yes.  But he didn't have the knowledge the two women did.  It felt contrived and fake.

And so did the way they went back and forth with Luke.  I do like how the therapy plotline ended up.  But I still found it an attempt to rewrite history in regards to his failure attempt at a fiancee and the slap that the hookup was.  Part of Luke's charm for me was always his ability to know exactly what his flaws were as seen by others but him not seeing them as flaws himself.  Just things he had to be careful of since the perceptions of others was what he was all about and manipulating them to his advantage.  So some of his bumbling for comic effect not only was not funny it felt like a huge shift in character.  Which is fine in a strictly linear narrative but not in one that tries to play with perceptions and motivations with a narrative that jumps all over time.

One thing I did like was that show kept the premise that Luke truly does love and care for all three of his friends very much.  I liked how that came through by the end of the first season.  That he wasn't just hanging with these people because they were the ones that let him get away with his shit.  And it is funny that for all their flaws; Luke being self-centered and his impulses are way too often distracting and Angus for being a bit of an off thinker, both still cut through the shit and actually notice a lot of truths about Evvie and Dylan and yet in many ways, those two don't return the favor.  Even though Dylan knows how that death triggered some real angst in Luke, he has simply gone past that as if it done and over. 

I said this after a just a couple episodes in, but Luke and Angus (and Luke's co-workers, I wanted to see more of them) definitely kept this season being a huge disappointment.  I was glad for the return and still am.  But this season hammered home the idea that the next one probably should be its last.  I'm not sure even at a show limited to eight episodes, how much more of Evvie and Dylan sitting next to each in awkward painful moments and rather pointedly not looking at each other while plaintive music plays.  The show just hit reboot one too many times in keeping the two in a will they won't they remove. 

I was kind of surprised with the stripper since I thought maybe Angus would get together with the German since she had asked about him.  But as cheesy as it was in a way it was also kind of cute.

• Love 4
On 24/11/2016 at 11:16 PM, braziliangirl said:

I think it's not intended but I'm actually rooting for Dylan to be with Abigail.

Same here! I really like Dylan and Abigail together, and don't see Evie and Dylan lasting at all.

• Love 2

I'm glad they brought Jonno back for the awards ep.    

Probably already mentioned in another thread, but there's a lot of How I Met Your Mother-ness going on here, which is part of why I like it.  Plus the novelty of a non-American sitcom (I know there's plenty of foreign programming out there; I just haven't found much that appeals to me).

I didn't realize this season was so short so I was mildly shocked when I finished the last ep - not unlike thinking there's more fries in the bag and realizing you ate the last one.  Looking forward to the next  season.

• Love 1

I just finished season 2.  I still really enjoy this show. The characters are charming and the dialogue is witty.

I really like Abigail, and I'm also of the mindset that I want Luke and her to end up together.  I am not as enamored with Evie now as I was after season 1. 

With such a long gap between seasons 1 and 2, did anyone else have a hard time remembering who was who? Like when they mentioned that a "Phoebe" had died, I had NO clue who that was (until I looked it up). I also vaguely remembered Jonno, but only in a fuzzy way.  It didn't detract from my overall enjoyment or anything.  Just took me a little longer to catch onto certain conversations and plotlines. 

• Love 1

Sorry for not being relevant, but why is it always light out even though they they talk about being dark or night all the time?

I have searched around a bit now and have not found an answer. Love the show though two days in and already to season 2 ep. 4!!

Absolutely loved this show.  I will echo the positive comments about Abigail, and  go one further and say that she is the better match for Dylan than Evie is. They have fun together. As a matter of fact, I've liked Dylan most in scenes with Abigail. She's probably the most sympathetic third wheel in a love triangle that I've ever seen. The actress is so insanely likeable and watchable. Having said that, sometimes a person clicks for you or they don't, inexplicably. So I can buy that while Abigail is a good match and Dylan cares for her, he simply doesn't think of her as the one.

I've given up trying to figure out the timeline. It's confusing as hell.

I didn't really get the appeal of Dylan until this series. Now I find him really attractive, and if you told me he was related to Charlie Hunnam, I'd believe you. The actor playing Dylan does a good job generating chemistry with all of the actresses, although I admit I don't think he has overwhelming chemistry with Antonia Thomas (of course, it would be hard  to generate the kind of chemistry she had with Iwan Rheon in Misfits).

Evie and Dylan need to get on with it already. There were plenty of chances if either one would open their damn mouth. I think they could still follow the conceit of the show even if they got together. I also like that the list gives us a finite end date - there were about 20 names, and many of them we haven't gotten to yet, but we could get there within a few series. I would hate to part with this show, though.

Edited by EarlGreyTea

One thing I don't like about the conversation between Abigail and Dylan is that she was very angry about him lying. At the same time, wasn't Abigail the one who was talking about a guy she wasn't sure about to Evie, who turned out to be the chef she was dating while she was hooking up with Dylan also? I feel like Abigail never shared that info with Dylan, and it might matter to him like what he left out mattered to her. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? The timeline confuses me, too, even though I binged most of the show.

On 9/5/2017 at 8:20 PM, Frisson said:

One thing I don't like about the conversation between Abigail and Dylan is that she was very angry about him lying. At the same time, wasn't Abigail the one who was talking about a guy she wasn't sure about to Evie, who turned out to be the chef she was dating while she was hooking up with Dylan also? I feel like Abigail never shared that info with Dylan, and it might matter to him like what he left out mattered to her. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? The timeline confuses me, too, even though I binged most of the show.

The timelines are confusing.  I thought Abigail broke up with the chef when the friends were at the hotel checking it out as a wedding venue.  Later, at the wedding, Abigail and Dylan hooked up for a one night stand.  Wonder if there is an episode summary somewhere that can clear it up.

• Love 1

I think you're right @Booger666 . When Abigail was talking to Evie about the chef it was well before she even knew of or started seeing Dylan. Abigail putting the pieces together that Evie was talking about Dylan and her feelings for him even that far back was tough. I felt so bad for her. It's the feeling of trying to decide has he been screwing me over this whole time, why was Evie trying to be so friendly with me, has everything been a lie. Ugh. That feeling SUCKS!! I thought well id Evie and Dylan aren't going to be a thing, I really liked him with Abigail. Curious where this goes from here.

Season 3 dropped on January 1.

For me, Abigail remains one of the show's MVPs. No third wheel in a love triangle has been more likeable in the history of television, IMO. I'd go so far as to say she and Dylan have better chemistry than Dylan and Evie. Hannah Britland brings out the best in Johnny Flynn, or maybe it's because they were given such meaty scenes, especially

Spoiler

when she finally confronted him about Evie. Some really powerful work and I think Britland carried Flynn through those scenes. If the writers wanted us to root for Dylan and Evie, might have been a good idea not to have such a strong actress as spoiler, and an actress with great chemistry with Flynn to boot.

Luke and Evie have fantastic friend chemistry. You just buy those two without any effort.

In the end, this season ended on kind of a depressing note. Dylan and Evie finally, finally get together. I guess I kind of expected Dylan to get out of his own head and stop being so neurotic. But he remained the same essentially clueless person he was before. It was a bit depressing - albeit realistic - that when they finally got what they wanted, some part of both Dylan and Evie were still a bit unhappy. Tasha was absolutely right that Dylan can never be truly happy. And that's a shame. There is often one person in a relationship who cares more about the other than the other does about them, and that person in this relationship is Evie.

I will say that I love all the events the gang goes to. It really captures the essence of being young in London. I love how every episode is essentially the gang going to some event, splitting up into their various storylines, and coming back together again.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 5

I really like Jonesy and Luke together, I hope it works out. It kind of reminds me off You're the Worst, but way less toxic. I have hope. one the other hand, I can not stand Dylan! Evie deserves better than to have to deal with the manchild. He is exhausting! All the talking about everything would have me running for the hills.

Is there another season? Let's hope

Another enjoyable season. I’m surprised ...

(spoilers I guess..??)

...they let Evie and Dylan get together so soon. I thought they’d wait until the final episode. Speaking of Evie, I thought them throwing the ex-boyfriend in at the last-minute was kind of odd. I wonder if he’ll have an impact on their relationship in the next season (if it’s renewed - I know “Evie”’is on The Good Doctor now - and it’s super weird to hear her talking in an American accent).

• Love 1

I liked this season better than the second season.

I assume since this is all season talk we can't help but spoiler.....?

Anyway,  I love Angus as a part of the team.  Outside the Evie and Dylan stuff, the four of them together are great fun.  Loved the scene of them four of them on the front steps in a group hug, comforting him.  Or all four of them in bed together. 

I liked the Hen party episode.  And I enjoyed Jonesy for Luke quite a bit. I am kinda mad we didn't get to see Luke do an Irish step dance again.  I so wanted to see that.  It was a high point of the first season.

I was never on board with Evie and Dylan.  I liked him with Abigail.  Dylan seems to be a bit more mature and grounded with Abigail.  With Evie he is too much in his head and so desperately in love.  Like Luke, I keep waiting for him to fuck it up.  But I did love his break up scene with Abigail, good writing and good acting.  And I also enjoyed the follow up scene with Evie where she lets him know it is is ok not to feel good about what just happened with Abigail. 

I kinda hope that now that they are together, that they realize all their pining for each other was just that, pining and all that angst was because they never got a chance to really be together.  Kinda like, the rode not travelled or some such.  But now that they are, they realize they aren't in love.  If there is a S4 it opens the door for Dylan to gt back to Abigail and for Evie to finally get a good relationship.

I liked this season. I worry about the outcome of the relationship between Dylan and Evie as well, but the show did need to have them together. I agree that maybe they did it too early?

Dylan is a mess! Love him, but what the hell do you want fella! As much as women get shit for making everyone they date (or sleep with) the proverbial “one”, Dylan does exactly that. The notion of being in love with love. So is Evie the woman the one who will keep him from that search? Maybe, maybe not.

My heart broke for Abigail. That relationship was destined to fail only because of his unresolved feelings and also because he refused to just let the “idea” of Evie go and be in the relationship with Abigail. I think that it’s going to be one of those right person, wrong time relationships. He wasn’t ready, correction, he wasn’t prepared to be ready to be with her and did what he thought was right, which ultimately ended up hurting her far more. Sigh…been there.

I found Dylan’s reaction to Evie’s old BF quite interesting. She dated Angus and he knew Mal, and probably many of her other BFs, what bothered him about this one? Was it that he didn’t know about him? There are old relationships that we don’t talk about for many reasons – too painful, not a person you want to remember, bad breakup etc. I’m curious why he reacted as he did and if that’s going somewhere.

Angus was a pure delight! I just love the hell out of him. His earnestness is infectious. He looked so familiar to me but after checking his IMDB I haven’t seen him in anything else. I guess he just has one of those faces. I hope he ends up happy. He’s the guy who will move heaven and earth for his family.

Luke and Jonesy has promise. Luke really does want to settle down into something real. All his frivolous encounters are his way of avoiding thinking about what he wants and why he’s afraid of having it. Obviously, the idea of losing someone you love is heartbreaking but love comes with that risk.

I really enjoy the show and hope we get at least one more season. I think that they can wrap it up in another 8-episode season.

On 1/3/2018 at 9:57 PM, Arynm said:

I really like Jonesy and Luke together, I hope it works out. It kind of reminds me off You're the Worst, but way less toxic. I have hope. one the other hand, I can not stand Dylan! Evie deserves better than to have to deal with the manchild. He is exhausting! All the talking about everything would have me running for the hills.

Is there another season? Let's hope

I too liked Jonesy and Luke together but I didn't love that they had her declare that she really did not want a relationship with him but then have her change her mind right away.  It felt so pat. 

On 1/2/2018 at 6:23 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

In the end, this season ended on kind of a depressing note. Dylan and Evie finally, finally get together. I guess I kind of expected Dylan to get out of his own head and stop being so neurotic. But he remained the same essentially clueless person he was before. It was a bit depressing - albeit realistic - that when they finally got what they wanted, some part of both Dylan and Evie were still a bit unhappy.

I didn't see it this way.  In fact, I thought the last scene of the episode was their sort of 'full circle' moment.  After Dylan and Abigail had their final breakup moments and he tried to pretend that he was fine in front of Evie, she told him it was okay for him to feel badly.  In the final episode, it was Evie's turn to be sad and want to hide it. Dylan comforted her and told her to come back to bed.  I think we also saw him smiling a bit at the end.  I felt the show was trying to signal that he had grown a bit and was able to handle some of the messiness of being in a relationship.  That was his arc this season when you also think about what he learned about his parents' marriage.

7 hours ago, msani19 said:

Angus was a pure delight! I just love the hell out of him. His earnestness is infectious. He looked so familiar to me but after checking his IMDB I haven’t seen him in anything else. I guess he just has one of those faces. I hope he ends up happy. He’s the guy who will move heaven and earth for his family.

I love Angus too. I feel like I might have seen him on The Hour but mostly, he just reminds me a bit of Tom Hollander. I would argue that this season felt like a wrap up of the series given the way they ended with Dylan and Evie and had Jonesy change her mind about being with Luke at the last minute---but that would mean poor Angus would be left lovesick.  Yes, he's getting a child but that wasn't what he was yearning for at the end of the episode.  I do think a Season 3 with all of these characters would be tough as I can't imagine Antonia Thomas would be available.  8 episodes wouldn't take that long to film in the US but I believe it takes a lot longer in the UK. Hard to fit in a hiatus. (Assuming The Good Doctor will be renewed--and I highly expect it will be.)

• Love 1
On 11/18/2016 at 4:00 PM, photo fox said:

After confessing his feelings to Evie, Dylan flashes back to an ill-fated weekend in the country with the gang and his hippie girlfriend, Frankie.

This episode was hilarious. I just love this show. When Angus was in the freezer I lost it. 

(edited)

Found this show on Netflix last week. I’m years late, but am really enjoying it! From reading the show’s description I thought the characters would be complete assholes, and I was happily surprised when they turned out to be mostly decent and vulnerable.

Finished the series. I realize I’m talking to myself...I didn’t care for either Abigail or Evie for Dylan. I think he’d be good to focus on himself for a while and maybe find a therapist to break some bad relationship habits, too. I hope Luke can find a Jonesy-type who is also interested in a relationship. (She did warn him.) And I hope Angus gets the win he deserves.

Edited by Kiddvideo
Updated after series end
  • Like 1