Type keyword(s) to search

Castle By The Numbers: The Ratings Thread!

verdana

If there's no preemptions next week for Castle then we'll get a good idea in terms of stabilising the ratings without The Blacklist, because it'll have people deciding whether to watch SoA Ep 2 or stay with Castle/NCIS LA, etc.

State of Affairs is a harder one to guess on. I think it did well last night because folks wanted to see what it was about. Next week's numbers will be a better indicator of how well that show fares on Monday nights at 10.

I think it will go down next week (most shows do).  I watched and while it was better than expected, it wasn't fantastic, and I'm guessing Castle will benefit from that. NCIS LA might too.  Unless NBC changes their mind and puts the Blacklist back on Mondays whenever it comes back.

Castle was only adjusted down to a 1.8 last night, so that is definitely a rise from the previous few episodes.

Alexi is no longer working on State of Affairs, he was replaced and now the replacement is gone too, it doesn't seem promising for the show

Oh really? I didn't know that, though I confess I haven't kept up with every news item related to the show. The last I knew he was a part of it. You're right, a lot of showrunner drama doesn't bode well for a new show trying to find its footing. Eep. 

Oh really? I didn't know that, though I confess I haven't kept up with every news item related to the show. The last I knew he was a part of it.

I don't know if he ever was supposed to run the show, but he was the original creator and left around the pilot I guess. He's back to The Following I think he's one of the showrunners there now.

ABC Leads Monday Overnights; Results Approximate Due to Coverage of Ferguson Decision - TV Media Insights 

-Winners:
“Dancing With the Stars” (ABC), “The Voice” (NBC), “Scorpion” (CBS), “Castle” (ABC)

-Honorable Mention:
“The Big Bang Theory” R (CBS), “Gotham” (Fox), “NCIS: Los Angeles” (CBS)

-Fading:
“Sleepy Hollow” (Fox)

-Modest:
“The Originals” (CW)

-Losers (excluding repeats):
“Jane the Virgin” (CW), “State of Affairs” (NBC)

Needless to say the timing of the Ferguson decision is going to make the ratings rather skewed this week.

TV Ratings Monday: 'Dancing With the Stars' & 'Castle' Up, 'The Originals' & 'Sleepy Hollow' Down as Football & News Scramble All Numbers at TVBTN

Note: CBS was preempted in New York and Buffalo  while NBC was pre-empted in New Orleans and Baltimore for NFL football so ratings for both networks are likely inflated and subject to change. There were also break-ins  in multiple markets on all networks for coverage of the Ferguson grand jury ruling. CBS ran Scorption in its entirety from 9-10:30PM in multiple East Coast markets.

Castle 2.0/10.92. 

I can't believe those figures will stand, surely they'll drop quite a bit. 

Maybe, but if the Ferguson decision was aired across all markets, that won't do much. (It's not like people had to watch ABC to find out what was going on.) it would only be an issue because it time shifted things, so there's DWTS overhang and people tuning in at the end expecting to see the news.

And there were no sports preemptions.

I bet ABC is happy with those numbers.

What's more interesting is that State of Affairs took a giant hit from last week's premiere.

Edited by McManda

Because so much was affected by two football games on two different networks in many metered markets (which delayed the start of NCIS: LA and affected SoA), plus the breaking news from Ferguson which delayed regular programming, this coming week might be the first reliable indication at how Castle will fare against both State of Affairs and NCIS: LA (and without its DWTS lead-in). Though there's always a chance for preemptions again for NFL football on ABC (which would be in Miami/South Florida and the NYC area). lol 

FWIW, I noticed that CBS is airing all reruns Monday night, including a rerun of Scorpion at 10 ET. State of Affairs is new, so that will be Castle's only real competition for ratings. A new NCIS: LA returns Dec. 8. 

Another drop again but after last week's snorefest I can't say I'm surprised.

I don't think it was just because of last week's episode which I didn't find boring. The promo that aired last week for this week didn't do the episode any favors. I thought it looked silly and outlandish, and if I was a casual or semi-casual viewer I probably would have skipped it too. Fortunately, the episode was better than I thought it would be based on the promo. It still wasnt great but it beat my expectations.

• Love 1

Also there was some country music special on as lead in and not Dancing With the Stars.  

Castle does okay when the Bachelor airs in place of DWTS, but that special only got a 1.6.

Not to rain on any parades but Castle is 7 seasons in and shouldn't be lead-in dependent, anyway. Since it has been in the same slot since its inception. I think it comes down to holiday doings and simple age.

• Love 1

To be honest, I found this week's episode poorly promoted. Neither the promo nor the only sneak peek we got did it for me. At all. It was actually the first time I hadn't been excited for a new episode. And if I feel that way as a fan of the show, how must a casual viewer have felt? I'm actually not that surprised.

• Love 1

Eh ... I'll take it. The weeks after sweeps/before the holiday hiatus generally trend .2 -. 3 down from what they were usually doing. I doubt ABC is really concerned at this point. It's pretty usual, at least for Castle.

(edited)

TV Ratings Monday: 'Mike & Molly' Returns Down, 'Scorpion' & 'Jane The Virgin' Rise, 'The Originals' & 'State of Affairs' Steady at TVBTN.

Castle 1.7/8.04

Note: ABC’s Monday lineup was preempted for local NFL coverage in Atlanta, Milwaukee and Green Bay. Ratings for ABC are likely to be inflated and will likely be adjusted in the final ratings.

On ABC, the premiere of The Great Christmas Light Fight garnered an inflated 1.9 adults 18-49 rating, up 36 percent from a 1.4 adults 18-49 rating for last year's premiere. Castle earned a  1.7,up 13 percent  from last week's 1.5 adults 18-49 rating.

Edited by verdana

Castle adjusted down big time and those numbers are a little shocking (1.4/7-something million), but I'm not super surprised. The last episode before winter hiatus always takes a huge hit.

I'll be interested to see the never in the spring, especially when ABC isn't preempted all the time.

The holidays are a big reason, no doubt. But even so, the trend seems troubling especially since numbers usually are even lower in the spring. The content of last night possibly can't be much of a factor for casual viewers more than the overall bleaker tone of the season so far, I think.

I know 10:00 p.m. is an increasingly rough hour and I do think ABC will renew it for - perhaps - a final season, but a question to ponder is will it be moved for that (possible) final season in the process to nurture a new show in the Monday slot?

Are the numbers usually much lower in the spring? I recall they seem to bounce back to near normal fall levels.

I think last night was largely effected because of the double whammy of the holidays - which are notoriously lower - and being preempted in Green Bay and Milwaukee/Atlanta. Neither of those markets is small, and both are big football places.

The problem with moving it is that if they do, ABC going to join the rest in playing the 10PM slot game. Before The Blacklist it was pretty hit or miss - and even then FOX decided to love it enough to move it back to Thursdays. 10PM is going to be rough because people don't have to stay up to watch those shows live now - DVR lets them go to bed earlier and watch later. Until ABC has something that they think will do better in a rough slot ... Castle will stay. And based on their hope in their midseason shows ... well, I'd be surprised if it doesn't get another season.

I'm still not concerned about ratings. 

Moving it is not out of the realm of possibility…but as always it depends what is on the shelf come pilot season.

Just a waiting game.

I agree that moving it isn't impossible for an eighth (& possible final) season and wouldn't shock me in the least. I also sense if this Derrick Storm series gets picked up, it'll be on the same night and could get Castle's 10 p.m. slot (even on another night) to help boost its first season. 

I think last night was largely effected because of the double whammy of the holidays - which are notoriously lower - and being preempted in Green Bay and Milwaukee/Atlanta. Neither of those markets is small, and both are big football places.

And that GB/ATL game was close at the end, so I doubt many in either market stopped watching until it was over.  

I was shocked to see Castle's ratings at a 1.4 and 7 million although I didn't see the last episode and haven't watched the show much this season.  But then I see that the highest rated dramas at 10pm are at 1.6 and 8 million.  

Is anyone doing well in that time slot?  Those numbers look real low for all of them.  I thought with Blacklist gone, the numbers for other shows would improve.  Maybe that's just the nature of TV at the moment.  Most numbers aren't what they were.  Making some strong episodes might stop the bleeding.

I had suspected that once TB moved to Thursdays that it would actually benefit NCIS: LA more than Castle, and I think ratings are reflecting that somewhat. Plus, CBS puts a lot of promotion behind that franchise (as well as money for "big" episodes) which keeps it in viewers faces who watch other highly-rated CBS shows. 

The sad part is that I blame Marlowe's inability to write for realistic adults and Fillion's grim determination not to play one (because that's not what "we" want) for this show - which I once loved - bleeding out, and it'll undoubtedly be spun as a confirmation of the Moonlighting curse anyway. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Do most households have only one TV? Or do the ratings companies only rate one TV per household?

I was surprised when we were house shopping to notice that most houses had at least two, and many even had TVs in the bedroom!

So unless more men watch Castle than I thought, or more women watch football, couldn't the other TV be tuned to a different program?

Ratings are done by the Nielsen company, but because I've never been part of a Nielsen family, I don't know exactly how it works. I was under the impression though, that you got a box that you attached to a TV in your home, and that collected data on what you watch. I assumed it was a one data collector per household, but I guess it doesn't have to be.

That said, the slice of TV viewers that are Nielsen viewers is insanely small  - something like 25,000 homes. (To compare, I live in a small city and our population is ~100,000.) I think if anything that hurts credibility, especially in this day and age where literally everything can be tracked. It's just an antiquated system, which is why I assumed it was 1 data collector per household.

But yes, I'd imagine most people have more than one TV. Most people have one in a living area, and probably a bedroom (even though experts say not to have a TV in your bedroom), and maybe even a small one in the kitchen. I know i my house, it's not uncommon for my family of 3 to all be watching separate things.

We've contributed to ratings, once with a box, which might have been Nielsen, back in the 80s, and from time to time with a paper program.

Of course, on the paper one we always lied, because while we want the public broadcaster (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) to stay around,we don't always watch TV and constantly forget when our 'appointment' shows are on. My current two favourites are Murdoch Mysteries, set in 1901 Toronto, and Republic of Doyle, set in present day Newfoundland. Murdoch also plays in the UK but I doubt Doyle will be syndicated unless they dub over the dialect.

Which is OT.

We got a flat screen TV when we signed up for our new provider but we haven't installed it yet. Actually we have trouble finding any programs we want. There are several channels that tell us what the service can do but none that tell us how.

I want to put Parental Controls on all the kiddie channels for instance (so they get skipped)  and subscribe to all the news channels, but ....

Not long ago I was a Nielsen diary participant (no box), and in the diary there was a separate column for each television in the home, and one was supposed to indicate how many people were watching each set at any given time. There were provisioins made for reporting watching DVR time-shifted shows (what was actually watched, not recorded only) and VCR recording (but oddly enough, not watching the taped recording). There was no accounting, though, for more modern methods like streaming device, online viewing or tablet app. The diary happened to cover the week that Castle was not being aired.

So not only is it a flawed system, it has the potential to be entirely inaccurate? Like, this paper diary is based off the honor system of accurate and honest reporting? Good lord, it world be easier and make more sense and be more accurate if, in this digital age, they just use information that the cable box sends back.

Have you read privacy practices that are being shipped with smart TVs? Those things track everything. It's scary.

We've contributed to ratings, once with a box, which might have been Nielsen, back in the 80s, and from time to time with a paper program.

Of course, on the paper one we always lied, because while we want the public broadcaster (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) to stay around,we don't always watch TV and constantly forget when our 'appointment' shows are on. My current two favourites are Murdoch Mysteries, set in 1901 Toronto, and Republic of Doyle, set in present day Newfoundland. Murdoch also plays in the UK but I doubt Doyle will be syndicated unless they dub over the dialect.

Which is OT.

We got a flat screen TV when we signed up for our new provider but we haven't installed it yet. Actually we have trouble finding any programs we want. There are several channels that tell us what the service can do but none that tell us how.

I want to put Parental Controls on all the kiddie channels for instance (so they get skipped)  and subscribe to all the news channels, but ....

Totally OT but Doyle and Murdoch are pretty damn big here on pay-tv in Australia. Just had to say that even though Doyle's finished over there where you are now.

And in regards to the ratings. It's always been an interesting thing for me, because with cable aka Pay-TV here in Australia, if you have problem with them they can fix the channel by ringing up and they test the feed for you and you can record their programs (if you have an iQ box). Yet you'd think because of this they would then just include their subscribers into the ratings system (I'm talking in terms of programmes being record so inclusive in the +7 ratings here), but they still use the old format (selective few).

I was a non-TV box diary keeper for a week a few years ago too, and it was hard to remember to write down everything I watched. I imagine having the box attached to your TV is much easier. I kind of hoped too I'd impress them enough to become a box household, but nada. Oh well. 

Nielson is totally for the advertisers, They really don't care about how many people watched the show. They are attempting to track how many people saw the advertisements. Even though it is technically possible for cable TV to track what channel people watch they have no way of knowing who is in the room watching it. And advertisers are very interested in demographics. In theory Nielson knows if you are between 18 & 50 so somebody is somehow supplying that information. I personally don't want to fill out a questionnaire every time I turn on my television. The main reason they use a small sample is expense. If money was no object they could put a box in millions of homes.

With both the box and the diary, we were asked questions about age, education, occupation  and income before being invited into the programme. And of course they could get location from our address and the census.

And of course the data are for the advertisers. They are the ones buying the eyeballs. They'd probably advertise on the Fireplace Channel if they could figure out how. (It plays a fire burning in a fireplace 24 hours a day. Very popular.) Actually, Swiss Chalet did that, they had a month long presentation of their rotisserie chickens turning turning turning last year. Also quite popular.

Always remember that television, unless it is purely subscription, is a method of taking money from the advertisers. The broadcasters are selling your eyeballs and what brings those eyeballs in is effectively irrelevant.

It's even more obvious with Public Television, where there is little or no advertising. During the marathon fundraisers, they explicitly tell subscribers to subscribe during their favourite programs to help them know what to renew.

When I lived in Ottawa ON, the local PBS was in Watertown NY. They specifically talked to their Canadian viewers and catered to us, in part because we were wealthier than the Northern NY audience and contributed the lion's share of subscription money. Later it was moved to Detroit and that more or less ceased.

While many advertisers do want the 18-34 demographic, because they are forming households and lifetime buying habits, some actually want older, wealthier eyeballs. Watch for Buick and Cadillac ads, or ads for expensive watches and of course, Depends and walk in bathtubs.

To be sure, networks are interested in knowing how many people watch their programming, and freely tout or play down Nielsen's wider audience measurements. But the numbers that networks and advertisers actually use — to sell ads, to set prices, and to decide on the fate of a show — are commercial ratings. In other words, advertisers don't care how many people are watching a show nearly as much as they care how many people are watching their ads. Nielsen provides this number, which takes into account everything from next-day DVR viewing to fast-forwarding through commercials. If every Nielsen Family watched a show the day after it aired but skipped through all its ads, that show would probably be canceled.

In reality, a large majority of viewing still takes place live, when commercial skipping isn't possible. (Though channel flipping during commercials can have a noticeable effect on C3 ratings.) Within the small-but-not-insignificant set of people who watch recorded shows, around half of them skip through commercials.

This is a quote from an article written in 2011. I didn't know they actually had a commercial rating that took into account channel flipping and fast forwarding.

Edited by oberon55

Yeah, that's not good. But the entire country was likely watching the college National Championship game (booo .... Ohio State!), especially because it as the first time they had done a playoff style for the competitors. I figured it was going to hurt ratings ... a lot. I'm hesitant to call those the norm now. We'll see how next week does, or how this episode does in the DVR ratings.

Ouch indeed, oh for the days when Castle was pulling in 1.7/1.8's.

But isn't it true that ratings always take a dip this time of year?  

A lot of the shows seem to be hitting series lows seems to me. 

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see if after this week and the generally positive reviews if the ratings improve next week, I take it nothing is on that's going to disrupt it.