Type keyword(s) to search

Castle By The Numbers: The Ratings Thread!

verdana

The Walking Dead’ on AMC Breaks Cable Ratings Record at TV Media Insights.

In one of those rare examples where a 10-11 p.m. time period is 3 for 3 with hit programming, “Castle” was on the overnight map with a 5.7/ 9 (#3), which dipped by 10 percent from the 6.3/10 one week earlier. Older-skewing lead-in Dancing With the Stars,” which is hovering around the 13-million total viewer mark this season, tied “The Voice” at an 8.6/13 from 8-10 p.m. But “The Voice,” of course, will hold a considerable lead in all the young adult demos.

It's not that big of a deal in actual estimated house holds that watched. The share is just different. You have to take that into consideration too.

Last week was 9.3 million this week was 9.2.

True, and I know you work in the biz, halwideman, but all the ratings sites say overall viewer count means jack, and it's the almighty demos that seal a show's fate. So, do you find that to be true? Because I can think of such an example: A few years back, Kathy Bates was on a show on NBC called Harry's Law, which got an overall viewer count of around 11 to 12 million! Great, right? Well, not according to NBC. The demo was around 1.5 or something and buh bye! Gone was Harry's Law.

I recall you saying that was being less focused upon, but I don't think the suits are totally there yet.

All this said, it was probably an anomaly and the show will rise again next week.

I think the whole Neilson rating thing a bit weird. In the UK they only care about the total number. I had a conversation with 3 colleagues two of us the coveted demo & 2 in Castle's main demo (mid to late 40s female). The younger two DVR lots of programmes & speed through the adverts or get up/surf the net during ad breaks. The older two sit patiently through the ads. I'm not sure advertisers are even helping themselves sticking to the old notions.

• Love 2

Yeah. But 1.5 - football or not, seems more than a bit. :-\ Hopefully, it was just a football-induced fluke.

Looking at the three shows- the Blacklist did a 2.4. I think the lowest it has been. Overall viewers put Castle in second place & the numbers were well down.

Doesn't being replaced by football doubly hit the figures though? I would be part of the coveted demo. If I couldn't watch Castle live I'd be grumpy but then I'd turn over and watch the Blacklist instead.

Having said that though I think this is the fairly poor start coming home to roost. Can't understand why AWM is torpedoing his own show.

Edited by Ticketyboo23

Ouch. But this weeks ratings are so odd to me. To go from a 1.9 to a 1.5 coming off a fairly strong episode ... there's got to be something else going on.

Though it looks like everything was down -  even The Blacklist is down to a 2.4 from a 3 at the start of the season.

Doesn't being replaced by football doubly hit the figures though? I would be part of the coveted demo. If I couldn't watch Castle live I'd be grumpy but then I'd turn over and watch the Blacklist instead.

Maybe. Personally, I'd just turn the TV off, but a lot of people probably wouldn't, especially Nielsen families. It'll be interesting to see if Castle rebounds in the +3 or +7s.

Or maybe people just really hate the idea of kids (on Castle).

College football is more my thing. Pro football ... it's okay, but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it. And it annoys me when it interrupts my routine. (College football is contained nicely to Saturdays.)

But yeah, losing the Pennsylvania market (and maybe even Texas?) hurts a lot. Not only was Castle not on, even if it wasn't preempted in surrounding areas a lot of that demo is going to watch football anyway.

• Love 1

Big Texans fan here! And yes, J.J. is pretty much the whole show. When you watch the Texans you watch J.J. (And then scream and yell at Fitzpatrick when he does stupid shit like throw interceptions). But don't get me started about that.

I'm in Houston (home of the Texans) and nothing got preempted here at least.

Edited by Elysium1973
  • Love 1

Yeah. Nothing compares to the very real obsession of University of Texas football in our house. It is very, very real and often very scary for my dog, who doesn't like yelling. I adore college football. It's one of the reasons why fall is my favorite season.

Edited by Elysium1973

Respectable Return for ‘2 Broke Girls’ on CBS at Media Insights.

-Winners:
“Dancing With the Stars” (ABC), “The Voice” (NBC), “Scorpion” (CBS). “The Blacklist” (NBC)

-Honorable Mention:
“2 Broke Girls” (CBS), “Castle” (ABC), “NCIS: Los Angeles” (CBS)

-Disappointing:
“Sleepy Hollow” (Fox)

-Losers (excluding repeats):
“The Millers” (CBS), “The Originals” (CW), “Jane the Virgin” (CW)

Additional Ratings Breakdown:
Note: Monday Night Football on ESPN last night featured the Washington Redskins at the Dallas Cowboys.

Overall, ABC topped the night in the household overnights with its pairing of veteran “Dancing With the Stars” (#1: 8.8/13 from 8-10 p.m.), which dropped by just four percent from one year earlier, and “Castle” (#2: 5.9/10), which slipped by 13 percent. And NBC’s combination of “The Voice” (#2: 8.2/12 from 8-10 p.m.) and “The Blacklist” (#1: 6.4/10) owns the night in adults 18-49 and all the key young adult demographics.

A probably too high 1.9/9.7mil for last night. Even if it adjusts down in the end, it looks like it's keeping the status quo, which is good, especially because not all markets were airing Castle anyway.

(Looks like Pittsburgh having football really makes a difference. That 1.5 was a brutal drop, so even a 1.7/1.8 will be a good improvement.)

I'm interested to see the ratings when it doesn't compete against football ... and especially for the next 2 weeks, with the wedding/honeymoon being hyped.

Can someone answer a question for Brit? Does ABC own the rights to these football matches/games to show them? Why don't they show them nationwide instead of certain cities/areas? Does Castle get shown at all in those areas?

(edited)

TV Ratings Monday: 'The Voice' & 'The Blacklist' Rise, 'Scorpion', 'Gotham' & 'Jane The Virgin' Down, Okay Start for '2 Broke Girls' at TVBTN

Castle 1.9/9.70

Note: ABC carried Monday Night Football in the Dallas market. ABC ratings are likely inflated subject to change.

That's much better but I guess they will adjusted down.  

It's going to be interesting seeing how the whole wedding factor affects the ratings coming up.

Edited by verdana

Ouch. More than I would have though, but again ... Dallas loves their football.

The Blacklist moves to Thursday after their midseason finale in November.

So the Dallas market was missing? That likely brought the ratings down a bit, just like last week with Pittsburgh. I really think Castle will even out around 1.8 when it doesn't have to contend with football, and maybe even the Blacklist. (What does FOX have replacing it? I don't even know.)

As far as football goes, I'm pretty sure ABC/Disney/ESPN are all owned by the same parent company (Disney?) and as such they make deals with local markets to air football as Monday Night Football, so it's preempted somewhere pretty much every week in the fall. It's just a matter of where and how much it'll inflate/subsequently hurt the ratings. (There used to be blackout rules, where if a local game didn't sell more than 75% or something of their tickets it couldn't be aired on a local TV affiliate, but I have no idea if that rule is still around or has an affect on Monday Night Football.)

Black out rules still exist. San Diego Chargers fans spend a lot of time pissed off.

A lot of Detroit Lions fans used to, too. But I also figure ... if you wanted to watch the games, just go to the games. A few years ago they were practically giving away tickets.

This year's MNF preemption in my area took place in week 1 - so before Castle (and DWTS) started this season. I was thankful for that. In the past they've tried to squeeze what they preempted in after the latenight talkshows are over, but the last time I tried to DVR DWTS and Castle because of it (there was no way I was staying up until 4AM), they ended up not even airing Castle. (I actually think the last time that happened was S4's "Kick the Ballistics" - other than that I've been lucky and had my MNF preemptions on weeks Castle was already not airing.)

I'm not really concerned about the ratings either and I really do think they'll even out when football clears out.

The ABC affiliates actually are all owned separately. Except for NY and LA ABC stations which are owned out right by Disney/ABC.

Oh, I guess I did know that. I think ours is owned by Scripps Media.

• Love 1
That all being said,  I'm once again not concerned by the ratings.

It's still doing better than about half of ABC's line up, so I don't think we need to worry yet.  And it has to be cheaper to produce than Agents of SHIELD and some of the other shows.  ABC never promotes Castle, I think it is basically they never have to think about, but still is relatively steady.

• Love 1

Thanks McManda.

The ratings though a bit lower than I would like don't worry me, I know some do obsess over them every week but Castle is Steady Eddie it just chugs along often unnoticed and unloved by the network. 

ABC Leads Monday Overnights; NBC Poised for Key Demo Victory at TVmediainsights

Results on this second Monday in November are what you could now call typical, with ABC tops in the household overnights and NBC the network to beat in adults 18-49 (and all the key young adult demos). In fall season-finale results, NBC’s “The Blacklist” exited for its three-month hiatus with a 6.3 rating/10 share at 10 p.m., which tied ABC’s “Castle” for first in the hour and will clearly win the demo battle. While retention for “The Blacklist” out of the 9:30 p.m. portion of lead-in “The Voice” was solid at 89 percent, buzz at the proverbial water-cooler seems to have softened this season (a victim, perhaps, of the “sophomore slump”).

“The Blacklist” returns for the second half of its current season on a new night and time, Thursday from 9-10 p.m. ET, effective in February 2015. New Katherine Heigl drama “State of Affairs” steps into the Monday 10 p.m. hour next week.

Ratings News - 11th November 2014 at Spoiler TV 

Castle 1.7/9.65

Hmmm. Those are okay numbers, but considering it was the wedding, I expected a bit more. Especially because it's likely that it'll adjust down because of MNF.

I'll be interested to see if a married relationship will bring people back, or if the lack of competition and MNF will have any sort of impact in the future.

Maybe if it wasn't the second time they promoted a wedding episode it would have.

My mother, who's a casually viewer, said to me, "Did I see that the people on Castle are getting married? Do we think it's for real this time?"  I suspect others felt the same way.

I expected something higher than that given it was the wedding and they were promoting it like hell.  

It rated as I expected it to be. WTF thought it was smart airing the episode against The Blacklist fall finale can take some of the blame. Because that wasn't a smart move at all, TB was always going to win last night's ratings. The other shows in the timeslot were going to get the remaining scraps. Next week's episode should be interesting, first TPW written episode and the fact they're going against State of Affairs (which at this point could rate really well or fail miserably - so far critics have panned it though).

Is State of Affairs the new Katherine Heigl show? (Obviously it's not caught my attention.)

The adjustment down isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, so that's a plus. It's probably lower than they were looking for, but it always seems Castle suffers the most around sweeps times anyway, for whatever reason.

Is State of Affairs the new Katherine Heigl show? (Obviously it's not caught my attention.)

The adjustment down isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, so that's a plus. It's probably lower than they were looking for, but it always seems Castle suffers the most around sweeps times anyway, for whatever reason.

Yep that's the one. Well apparently the football rated very poorly (going by the ratings sites) hence why the adjustment wasn't as bad as others have been.

Well apparently the football rated very poorly (going by the ratings sites) hence why the adjustment wasn't as bad as others have been.

I caught part of the Carolina game on the radio on my drive home (around 9PM), and the Panthers were not doing well. I wouldn't be surprised if all the Carolina fans turned it off the TV before Castle started at 10.

The football game was on in Charlotte, that's a much smaller market than Dallas, which was the cause for the adjustment last week.

State of Affairs looks like it's going to be awful.  They aren't even showing any actual clips from the show in the promos, just various shots of the actors with a voice over.  It's pretty bad if they can't even find one scene to use.

The football game was on in Charlotte, that's a much smaller market than Dallas, which was the cause for the adjustment last week.

State of Affairs looks like it's going to be awful.  They aren't even showing any actual clips from the show in the promos, just various shots of the actors with a voice over.  It's pretty bad if they can't even find one scene to use.

Yep forgot to add that part about the audience size. They showed a few clips throughout last night's The Blacklist - since every damn ad break had an ad for it.

Respectable Debut Overnights for NBC’s ‘State of Affairs’ at TVMediaInsights

Winners:
“Dancing With the Stars” (ABC), “The Voice” (NBC), “Scorpion” (CBS)

-Honorable Mention:
“Gotham” (Fox), “Castle” (ABC), “NCIS: Los Angeles” (CBS)

-Respectable Start:
“State of Affairs” (NBC)

-Modest but Still an Improvement:
“The Originals” (CW), “Jane the Virgin” (CW)

-Losers:
“The Millers” (CBS)

TV Ratings Monday: 'Gotham' & 'Two Broke Girls' Rise, 'Scorpion' & 'Sleepy Hollow' Flat + 'State of Affairs' Starts OK at TVBTN

Now that's a change from last week! Castle 2.0/9.92

Note: ABC was preempted in Nashville and Pittsburgh, so current ratings are likely inflated and subject to change.

ETA Okay these initial figures are expected to drop a little.

Edited by verdana

Honestly, probably not as muh as ABC would like. It'd onlu matter if the demo would switch to Castle instead of just turning off the TV and I don't know that's true.

Expect adjustments down - and probably

More than you'd expect if Pittsburg is one of the markets. They love their football. Still, I'm hoping that people will realize that this start is more promising than last year and tune back in.

I'm interested to see what State of Affairs does. Not that it has a huge bearing on Castle, but I haven't heard good things. Im guessing people tuned it because it was new and because it's the first thing Katherine Heigl had done in years.

I'm interested to see what State of Affairs does. Not that it has a huge bearing on Castle, but I haven't heard good things. Im guessing people tuned it because it was new and because it's the first thing Katherine Heigl had done in years.

Haven't watched, but "Stare of Affairs" is also created by Castle alum Alexi Hawley.

I've seen many folks speculate that fans of The Blacklist would start watching Castle live/SD once it moved to Thursday nights. Personally, I think most of those viewers are now going to watch NCIS: LA live (as final numbers from last night show - to me - it's gaining on Castle pretty good in its first week of no BL competition). CBS puts a lot of promotion and money into that franchise (including BIG event episodes throughout the season) and the nature/concept of the show feels more similar to TB than Castle IMO. 

State of Affairs is a harder one to guess on. I think it did well last night because folks wanted to see what it was about. Next week's numbers will be a better indicator of how well that show fares on Monday nights at 10. 

I also think it's hilarious that a former (great IMO) Castle writer has a show going head-to-head with his former employer. I loved AH's eps on Castle and when he wrote for The Following. If I didn't dislike KH so much, I'd give his new show a shot because of him leading the team.