Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Chapter One (Pilot)

I have watched  the venezuelan telenovela on which Jane the Virgin is based, so I was very curious to see this one. It was a nice surprise, sweet and funny, I'll definitely will keep watching. Gina Rodriguez is a discovery!

• Love 1

Unless it was one of the four publicized in the Hobby Lobby controversy that can cause an abortion, you're right that it would be too late for a contraceptive.

None of the contraceptives objected to by Hobby Lobby actually cause an abortion. They just prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterine wall. There are medications that will cause an abortion that can typically be used in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy and that is most likely what Dr. Alver gave Jane a prescription for.

Yep, Dr. Alver gave her a prescription for one of the drugs that can cause an abortion.  Plan B and other emergency contraceptives don't require prescriptions but medications like misoprostol do.  Also, it was clear there was only one or two tablets in that prescription bottle and the drugs that can cause abortions typically are prescribed in small quantities like that (when they're being prescribed for that purpose as they have other uses).  I thought that was a nice, understated, touch.  MamaJane filled the prescription, brought it to her, and left it there for her when she made her decision.  And, since GrandmaJane knew what it was being prescribed for, it also was a connection to her later reveal of telling MamaJane to get an abortion when she was pregnant. 

I thought it was a nice pilot over all. 

• Love 2

None of the contraceptives objected to by Hobby Lobby actually cause an abortion.

According to the news stories, the technically correct statement is that they "can cause an abortion", even though that isn't what they are intended for, so aren't as likely to actually do that as one of the medications intended for that purpose, which is what the doc prescribed later.

So I watched it. I thought it was okay. I hoped it would be funnier, but it had its charm. I really liked the actress who plays Jane, what a cutie.

Bridget Regan is playing a lesbian! I'm sold. Looking forward to her and Luisa obviously hooking up. Pity that their roles will probably be very small, I guess.

I thought everything happened waaaay too fast though. And it bothered me a lot that they didn't bother explaining why it was Rafael's only sample. I get he had cancer, but you would think that when he made the deposit he left enough for more than one try. In the original at least they made the effort of showing that there was an accident at the lab and the rest of Mauricio's sperm was lost after Juana was inseminated.

Speaking of the original, I was bummed that they used the name Petra instead of Carlota for the baby daddy's wife. I love that name.

Random fact: the actor who plays Jane's dad, don't know his name, IS a telenovela star. He was in 'Letty la fea', which was a remake of 'Betty la fea', which later was remade as 'Ugly Betty'. Plus, he's been in other telenovelas. I thought that was a nice touch.

I have a feeling this show will go the Ugly Betty/Glee/etc route. Everyone will love season 1, season 2 people will fall out of love with it, season 3 people will be asking "This show is still on?", season 4 people will be wondering "Why is this show still on?"...

I agree. this is totally the type of show that should be planned from start to finish, then let it go. A season or two, tops, would suffice. But if it does well they will totally stretch it past its expiration date and it will end up sucking haaard.

I wasn't really inclined to give this show a shot based only on the premise but when I saw some of the trailers I wanted to give it a shot. I wasn't an Ugly Betty fan and I was pretty sure this wouldn't hold my attention for more than 5 minutes.

Surprisingly I absolutely loved it and had one of those unusual experiences (for me anyway) of being sad when the hour ended. And I'm keeping it on my DVR and watching it quite a bit.

So, yeah, I'll be around for awhile. One of things I really liked about this show was how every storyline interconnected. You don't see that very often. I also, surprisingly, loved the narrator and I don't usually like the voice overs. Particularly during the scene with Michael and his brother "Where's Pops? He's not in her life? Bet there's a story there. There's no story." Okay here's the story. LOL

And I didn't have the reaction I normally have towards pilots. Even though the pilot threw a lot at the audience it was done well enough for me that it didn't feel like a pilot. If subsequent episodes can live up to the premiere the CW will have a great show on it's hands.

I was glad to see the decent premiere numbers. Just hope it doesn't fall apart ratings wise in week 2.

• Love 1
Remember Justin Baldoni as Bright and Ephram's med-school roommate on Everwood?

THANK YOU!!! I kept thinking I knew that guy, but I was too lazy to IMDB him.

The only one that's somewhat problematic to me is the wife.

Yeah, hated that actress and her face on Reign, and it's not looking too much more promising for me here.  Although it is nice to see her with her hair brushed.

• Love 1

Bridget Regan is playing a lesbian! I'm sold. Looking forward to her and Luisa obviously hooking up. Pity that their roles will probably be very small, I guess.

I had originally balked at watching this show based on the premise and the network. Then I read an article that mentioned that Bridget Regan was playing the ex-lover of Luisa and immediately went searching the internet for a link to watch the pilot. It's like the universe is trying to apologize to me for all the subtext that never went anywhere on Legend of The Seeker. 

I'm glad I gave it chance because the bonus is that this show is actually really really good! 

I am completely and utterly behind on all the fall shows. I didn't even want to watch this, until I heard an ad for it on Pandora. It intrigued me, in that "What did I just hear?"

I had some downtime today and watched it. I am 100% enamoured with this show, and Gina Rodriguez. Moving on to episode 2!

Random fact: the actor who plays Jane's dad, don't know his name, IS a telenovela star. He was in 'Letty la fea', which was a remake of 'Betty la fea', which later was remade as 'Ugly Betty'. Plus, he's been in other telenovelas. I thought that was a nice touch.

What I didn't like is that he's Mexican, he didn't have to speak fake Spanish, why not speak regular Spanish? most of TV/Movies they always talk fakeish, this wasn't needed at all. His name is Jaime Camil

What I didn't like is that he's Mexican, he didn't have to speak fake Spanish, why not speak regular Spanish? most of TV/Movies they always talk fakeish, this wasn't needed at all. His name is Jaime Camil

Fake Spanish?

• Love 2

Thank you! I was trying to remember where I knew him from.

Fake Spanish?

I know real Spanish and what Camil was speaking sounded so fake and forced, just like most of every other actor in most TV Shows and Movies sound like. Heck if you can see him acting in the "La fea mas bella" telenovela you'll notice the difference.

Say the grandma speaks with heavy Puerto Rican accent while the mother Mexican, I need to watch a bit more to know where the family comes from

I've seen Jaime Camil in a bunch of telenovelas and a movie, as well as in interviews as himself, and his intonation/cadence changes with the character. Plus sometimes he'll do like an Argentinian accent or something else. I don't think he sounds fake per se here, just different from the way he talked as Fernando in La Fea Mas Bella. Plus, in the telenovela within the show, where he speaks Spanish, he's obviously overacting and ramping up the accent deliberately for comedic effect.

I'm going to listen more closely the next episode I watch and try to hear if he's faking any sort of accent or just being a different character. I do hear lots and lots of Mexican Spanish spoken and even within Mexico there is a wide variety in the accents.

• Love 5

Very behind in seeing this.  On paper the idea of the show seemed terribly lame to me.  In actuality, they've done this with enough cleverness that it takes the weird idea and runs with it very successfully.

Puzzled how this got on The CW.  It seems more like an ABC (or even moreso, an ABC Family) concept.

Edited by Kromm

I've just recently discovered this show, and I'm really enjoying watching it! The premise of it is a little lame, but they have done such a great job at making it interesting, funny, touching, intriguing...  The cheesy voice over work so well for this! And wow, the actress that plays Jane is a discovery. 

• Love 1

There's been a lot of critical comment (not usually positive) on the whole premise of the show.  They don't buy the whole "my girlfriend is cheating on me which caused me to accidentally confuse two patients, one of who was so tired she didn't notice I was doing the wrong procedure" thing.  Which, yes, it's over the top ridiculous but . . . it's a telenovela people!  You don't watch those for reality and verisimilitude.

• Love 4

I was had dismissed this show from the beginning mainly because of its title and overall theme, I thought it would be really boring.  I was drawn to it by Gina's Golden Globe win and speech.  I am SO happy I gave it a try! This show is so refreshing, it is witty and funny, it is just great.

• Love 5

Thank you! I was trying to remember where I knew him from.

Jaime Camil is the sexiest man alive--everyone should watch La Fea Mas Bella! 

I'm very late to this party.  I read something only yesterday in Slate about how Jaime Camil was on this so I started watching the pilot.  His role is really small, but I liked the show a lot.

Jaime Camil is the sexiest man alive--everyone should watch La Fea Mas Bella! 

I'm very late to this party.  I read something only yesterday in Slate about how Jaime Camil was on this so I started watching the pilot.  His role is really small, but I liked the show a lot.

I hope you stick with it. They do expand his role later on.

Guess who's late to the party? I caught the first five minutes months ago, actually probably when it first premiered. At the time, though, I was turned off by it so I stopped. But hearing some really great things, and then accidentally coming across the finale spoilers, I decided to finally start watching it.

It's a cute show, I'll give it that. I like the pilot more now that I gave it a chance. I agree that the only character I'm kind of turned off by is the wife, Petra. She seems too...evil so far? I'll have to see what her other motivations are, if she has any. But I love Jane, I actually really like her boyfriend turned fiance, and I like the baby daddy (though I think I'm secretly rooting for Michael/Jane, instead of the cliche Rafael/Jane). I like Jane's mom and I like the fact that Jane's dad is a telenovela star. 

Overall, cute pilot. There's the whole wife side of things that I don't like right now, but I've only watched this pilot. I'll give it some time.

I guess I'll be updating all the episode threads for you guys as I watch. It might take me a little while to get through, but I'm kind of looking forward to watching the rest of the season. 

I guess I'll be updating all the episode threads for you guys as I watch. It might take me a little while to get through, but I'm kind of looking forward to watching the rest of the season.

Are the episodes all available somewhere?

• Love 1

I can't explain why I just finally got around to watching this show. I love shows like this (and I watch way too many CW shows than I should admit). I even heard lots of good things about this show and just never bothered to watch it. I meant to binge watch S1 over the summer and didn't make the time to do it and then last week I just decided to sit down and watch it. Not surprisingly, I loved it!

Gina Rodriguez is charming and adorable and totally perfect for this role. Her boyfriend seems a little too perfect so I am just waiting for some kind of telenovela reveal about him secretly being her brother or a murderer.

I agree that the actor playing the baby daddy is not the greatest but at least he's pretty. I didn't notice the ill fitting shirts but I kept noticing how many buttons were left undone on his shirts. I know it's Florida and all, but it still cracked me up.

The one awesome thing about being so behind is that now I get to watch the first 30 episodes over Christmas break!

• Love 3

I just started watching this show several months ago so while I'm up to date, more or less, with season 2 I knew very little, and hadn't seen, season 1 at all.  I recently checked out the 5-DVD set from the library and I'm working my way through it.

The pilot was good but it didn't have the humor, yet, that I'm familiar with in season 2.  It was good for me to actually see Jane's life before the pregnancy and how her insemination occurred.  I was also able to finally see how each of the characters fit with one another: the relationship between Jane and Michael and the relationship between Rafael and Petra.  I'd read about the show's premise online but I think some of those articles were vague on exactly what happened in the doctor's office and what happened afterwards.  For sure, it was better for me to have seen the happenings.