Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Multiple

Sensing a need in the community, Tom creates a new parish specifically for the returned and Bellamy confides in him that he is also one of them. Old human bones mysteriously turn up in the river and, with them, implications for the Langston family that Margaret is determined to keep hidden.

The plot thickens.  Please stop creating more questions and start giving me some answers.  Those scenes with the deputy's brother were infuriating.  Then, how could he not realize he would come back.  Came back pretty quick too.  That Maggie is a jack of all trades, she is every type of doctor and now a forensic examiner.  Giving this show just a few more weeks then I think I am out.

• Love 2

LucyEth*, I figured Maggie must've watched all seasons of Bones so she could do forensic anthropology. Heh.

I'm guessing the milk toast deputy shooting and burying his brother only to have him come back meaner and hungrier than ever was supposed to tell us that the skeletons weren't good guys--which is also what Grandma Langston was saying.

*OT: Is your screen name taken from I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show (Lucy and Ethel)?

• Love 1

Then, how could he not realize he would come back.  Came back pretty quick too.

When Carl rolled "Mikey" (who really should have been pigging out on Life cereal!) into the hole, I fully expected the camera to pan back & reveal at least 2 or 3 previous "Mikeys" down there (plus dear ol' Mom & Pop maybe.)

• Love 3

The deputy should just tell Belamy he doesn't want him anymore, then the bad guy government people can take him, and Belamy can look like he is doing his job, instead of giving them bones the Doc could study. Two birds one stone! Grandma was only 10 when those bodies were buried right? She should give up the deets. No one will blame her, being a child and all.

That baptism did not go well at all, I would rethink being in that church, not a good omen.

• Love 2

LucyEth*, I figured Maggie must've watched all seasons of Bones so she could do forensic anthropology. Heh.

I'm guessing the milk toast deputy shooting and burying his brother only to have him come back meaner and hungrier than ever was supposed to tell us that the skeletons weren't good guys--which is also what Grandma Langston was saying.

*OT: Is your screen name taken from I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show (Lucy and Ethel)?

Yes, it is from ILL, she wanted to call the dress shop she and Ethel bought LucyEth's instead of EthelLu's, said it sounded better.

• Love 1
Yes, it is from ILL, she wanted to call the dress shop she and Ethel bought LucyEth's instead of EthelLu's, said it sounded better.

Because it rolls right off your tongue - couldn't keep it on your tongue if you tried!

Yeah, I did a bit of a double take when Maggie was called in to examine the bones. Hey, show - a general doctor is not a forensic expert. Next we're going to have a gyno come over to look at some hieroglyphics.

When Carl rolled "Mikey" (who really should have been pigging out on Life cereal!) into the hole, I fully expected the camera to pan back & reveal at least 2 or 3 previous "Mikeys" down there (plus dear ol' Mom & Pop maybe.)

Me too! I totally thought we were going to pull back and show several other barely-concealed gravesites. Oh well. Carl didn't seem surprised to hear Mikey come back so maybe it isn't the first time after all - maybe the others are buried elsewhere. Oh well, neither of them is interesting enough for me to care.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 1

Oh dear, they really don't seem to know where they're going with this, do they? I suspected as much when they backtracked off the 1st season finale, but now it's really starting to look like they're just throwing everything but the kitchen sink at this show to see what sticks. I liked the story with the deputy having to put up with his bully of a brother no matter how many times he kills him, but at the same time, it showed that they just plan to utilize this premise to craft little mini-stories every episode. They're losing focus. 

Marty went way out of his way just to see his own dead body then barely looked at it before recoiling in horror. Just what did he expect to see? Also, how did he have the authority to order the coroner (through Maggie) not to take the bones? Isn't he officially with the Immigration department? 

• Love 1

I'm guessing not all returnees are melodramatic gifts from God, then?

So called the brother being one when I noticed how clean the rest of the house was.

I was wondering about Jacob and school, glad he doesn't have to bomb around the house anymore.

You know, when I'm watching something online I occasionally check how much fun is left of my 43 minutes. This episode, they crammed so much stuff in I was surprised only 20 minutes had gone by. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Marty went way out of his way just to see his own dead body then barely looked at it before recoiling in horror. Just what did he expect to see? Also, how did he have the authority to order the coroner (through Maggie) not to take the bones? Isn't he officially with the Immigration department?

Yeah, that was a disappointment.  I thought Marty had some sort of reason to want to see his body so badly other than human curiosity.  My eyebrow went up at him having Maggie, doctor extraordinaire, commandeer the bones.  By what authority??

So every time a returned dies, they leave another body, which somehow has lead me to the conclusion that after they (the returned) croaks "X" number of times they just go poof, perhaps?  The copies are weak and unstable?   Probably why the factory guy was sick.   I got the feeling the factory worker was a bad man (or just unlucky)--just a guess--and we know Caleb was bad, so it's possible they were both killed an extra time or two.   I suspect the deputies' brother will "disappear" soon.

Edited by Mocking Bird

It was nice to see some Tom and Marty bonding. Great touch that Tom told Marty to drop the 'Pastor'.

But poor Tom with the bad omen baptism and Marty with seeing his own dead body.

MamaStark's addition to the show has added some energy. It's interesting that as shady as she is, she also is clueless about the reasons they were all brought back but doesn't believe it will lead to anything good. But in the meantime she's going on about her business living until something else happens.

• Love 1

Tom was telling Marty that they're past formalities, and that given what they've been through and seen, he considers him a friend and could talk to him as such. As Pastor and/or friend, Tom would keep his secret.

As for confidentiality, I don't think that really applies here since what Marty was confessing wasn't illegal and the authorities already know about his resurrection/return. He isn't in danger of being turned in and taken away since he has his own deal with mystery lady.

Edited by TobinAlbers

Brought over from a comment last week

The "food issue" comes and goes.  Jacob appears to be eating a normal amount, and Evil Granny hardly at all, but Mikey is making up for both of them.

Glad I don't expect this show to be consistent.

• Love 3

... Marty went way out of his way just to see his own dead body then barely looked at it before recoiling in horror. Just what did he expect to see? ... 

I thought Marty's body was much younger than he is now and that he realized that the body shown him was a previous one.  Whatever it was in the car, it didn't look like him.  And so I figured he was upset to know that he'd already been a returnee.

But I didn't re-watch and rewind, so this was just an impression.  

This has nothing to do with the show's story, but Tom and Jacob look like father and son. As for Tom's lack of a demonstrative personality, I've seen that with some pastors in real life, so thought it was realistic.  The actor does quietly horrified, conflicted, and perplexed very well  ;-)  

Gotta add that this episode was too low-key and slow even for me !   But that doesn't mean I'll stop watching... I've gotten fond of some of the characters.

I thought Marty's body was much younger than he is now and that he realized that the body shown him was a previous one.  Whatever it was in the car, it didn't look like him.  And so I figured he was upset to know that he'd already been a returnee.

I thought this as well, but also didn't rewind it to see for sure.

What was the deal with" Young" Fred seeing a kids feet and tennis shoes and then his wife seeing a tennis shoe on the porcth?   That threw me.

I also noticed we find out Bellamy was adopted (and his comment about thinking his birth parents didn't want him regardless of any "good" reasons for the adoption was spot on-At least for most adoptees), and Maggie mentioning the bones were likely from the 30's, so maybe the African American family we met in season 1 with the missing son, really are his family as was speculated last season?  So, maybe he was originally born in the 30's  died, returned, etc. all prior to this last return we are all familiar with?

I don't know, but I guess there are still enough questions to keep me recording and watching on Monday nights when there is nothing else on, besides Football. I think sinister Grandma was a good addition.

Edited by chlban

What was the deal with" Young" Fred seeing a kids feet and tennis shoes and then his wife seeing a tennis shoe on the porcth?   That threw me.

When Barbara drowned, Fred found her with one shoe on and one off.  He was "returning" the shoe she lost in the river.  Why?  Could be any number of reasons, seeing how conflicted and guilty he is about everything. "Hi, Fred, want some coffee?"  "I don't know -- Maggie likes coffee but so did Barbara... Oh God, I'm so ALONE!!!!!!!!"

• Love 2

What was the deal with" Young" Fred seeing a kids feet and tennis shoes and then his wife seeing a tennis shoe on the porcth?

I don't know, but whoever they got to play "Young Fred" was a dead ringer for Matt Craven, unless they used some special kind of CGI to make him look younger.

• Love 5

When Barbara drowned, Fred found her with one shoe on and one off.  He was "returning" the shoe she lost in the river.  Why?  Could be any number of reasons, seeing how conflicted and guilty he is about everything. "Hi, Fred, want some coffee?"  "I don't know -- Maggie likes coffee but so did Barbara... Oh God, I'm so ALONE!!!!!!!!"

OK Thanks for that. I thought it was a childs foot and shoe, not Barbara's. And yes, I think they must have used some great technology because the young Fred was a dead ringer - no pun intended.

I thought Marty's body was much younger than he is now and that he realized that the body shown him was a previous one.

Omar Epps was only about 40 when they filmed, but that's not too young for the "face lift effect" when laying down.

I'm trying to hang with the show but it is starting to bore me. I guess things are happening, but they don't seem to relate to each other and their not providing any answers. I do like some of the characters but I just can't see this story drawing out any further. I read the book it was based on, and the book had a boring ending, don't know where they are going here. I really wish Marty hadn't died, the whole sub-plot of his wanting to see his body went nowhere and it is taking things away from the story at large. I agree that Jacob and Tom look like father and son, I notice it every week. 

I can't help but compare this show to The Returned; no real answers there either but it has a spooky factor which keeps it interesting.

I can't help but compare this show to The Returned; no real answers there either but it has a spooky factor which keeps it interesting.

And it doesn't help that they keep calling the people that come back 'The Returned' -- since the show is called 'Resurrection' they should be calling them 'The Resurrected'.

'The Returned' is far more eerie and spooky than 'Resurrection' -- the people, the atmosphere -- yet there's absolutely nothing even remotely scary or suspenseful about 'Resurrection'.  Dead people come back to life in Arcadia, ho hum, no real big deal.

Dead people (and animals) come back to life in 'The Returned', and its really creepy.  Heck, that spooky little kid in 'The Returned', Victor, freaks me out -- and he barely says anything.

I've noticed the ratings on this have dropped significantly from last season. Still beating Good Wife, but barely, and viewers are dropping. I am going to be really annoyed if they cancel this before we get some hint about the reason for the returnees. However, since  it appears the wrtiers don't have a solution, it may be inevitable. 

Considering how badly many of ABC's shows are doing, and that this is still not last in it's time slot, it should make it thorugh this season. Not sure we'll have a third though.