Type keyword(s) to search

The Show: Sad Pibbles and Happy Tails

Yes, I assume it was because of arthritis; he did okay on the first leg, but then seemed to be struggling a little, so she just carried him since it was a straight shot.  Different than navigating a spiral staircase with open space (rather than a solid riser) between the treads.  I've seen many a dog refuse to traverse that type of staircase (cats like to show off, though), so I wasn't surprised he was hesitant.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

This show continues to make me tear up one minute and smile the next.

You seriously don't want to know what I would do to the people that locked that dog up on the top floor of that house. I will NEVER understand how someone can be so cruel and honestly, I don't WANT to understand it.

Unfortunately, a previous poster is right. That dog probably won't find a forever home. But at least he will be around people that care about him.

It is definitely too bad Pierre and his Pit friend couldn't stay together, but what can you do? Keep them together in a kennel or separate them in forever homes...not really that tough of a choice.

You could tell Pierre is just FULL of personality. He will be spoiled rotten by that woman!

I have actually wondered why Early doesn't have his arm amputated? I am guessing because up until know there was that slim hope it could be fixed. And yes, Earl wasn't the greatest person in a previous life...but he definitely isn't that person anymore. Out of all the parolees, he is the one I would bet money on never going back to his old lifestyle. He has one hell of a good kid too!

Edited by Jenkins
  • Love 2

I think that the pain Earl has is actually in his neck, upper shoulder and then radiates down into his arm as opposed to the arm itself hurting. I'd guess amputation wouldn't solve anything. I seem to recall that's how he described it way back in the Syracuse episode when he first went to consult with a doctor about it.

• Love 4

Of course, as usual, this show has me alternating between tears and smiling. (same sentiments as Jenkins.)

I love Tania.  "You're ruining my street cred !"   < - made me burst out with laughter. 

Poor sweet Legacy !   Locked up in that sweltering room !   I'd love to hear the explanation of the person who did that !   On second thought, ugh.  No I don't want to hear.  The tears and sobbing just flowed for me the second Tia opened that door.    The look on his face broke my heart... just a sweet ol guy.  Ugh.. I'm tearing up thinking of it now.

How nice, after all he's been through that Pierre obviously will be loved dearly in his new home.   Growing up my dear Auntie had a black poodle named Pierre too.(seems to be popular name for poodles. Hee)   My Auntie,  (along with her beloved Pierre), was the person who introduced me to the love of dogs. (My Mom and Dad NEVER had animals.)    Needless to say I was having bittersweet flashbacks since the lady on the show reminded me of my dear departed Auntie.  I miss her so much, but I have such fond wonderful memories of her and Pierre. : ) 

because it can't be said enough, "Go Earl !"   I pray he's feeling better these days.   According to his facebook page (being monitored by someone else?) He is !

ETA:  agreeing with Jenkins on first sentence.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 4

I think that the pain Earl has is actually in his neck, upper shoulder and then radiates down into his arm as opposed to the arm itself hurting. I'd guess amputation wouldn't solve anything. I seem to recall that's how he described it way back in the Syracuse episode when he first went to consult with a doctor about it.

I agree. I had a shoulder injury and some herniated discs in my neck, and it took years to sort out that the neck problem was causing the pain & numbness in my right arm, because workers comp kept sending me to shoulder docs.   It was so great to see Earl coming back and greeting all the dogs - he really does love and understand them.

I absolutely adore the idea of a bonded pair of "mismatched" doggies.  One of the cutest pairingss I ever saw was on some animal rescue show (Animal Cops, maybe?) that was a Rottweiler and a Chihuahua.  They were so stinkin' cute.  If I ever get solvent again, I'm keeping my eye out for a Pitbull/Chihuahua love match, since they are the breeds that always make me smile.  Of course, like any other animal, my favorite is always the one I'm petting at the time, so I'd probably just let the dog(s) find me, as usual!  :-)

• Love 2

I wonder what Wade and his wife (I can't remember her name) think about being on the show.  That was odd and I feel bad for the wife.  Wade is a dumb ass.  I wonder if Smack might have been good in the home with wife but I see why they did not want to take a chance given Wade's attitude.   

ETA:  So happy for Curtis to be with such a sweet family.  That almost made up for Smack's home not working out. Almost. 

Edited by auntieminem
  • Love 5

Smack may have had a good life in Tennessee and I don't want to insult rescuers, but, some think that only they can properly care for a dog. I will never deal with the group I adopted my current dog from because the home inspector literally got down and emptied my kitchen and bathroom under sink cabinets to see what was in them. I eventually said my 2 previous dogs both lived for 15 years and if she thought The dog was better off homeless than living with me, so be it. Suddenly I passed the inspection.

That said, I think Tia had a funny feeling about the couple when she arrived, so, any screw up and they weren't getting the dog. She was even questioning noise levels which I thought was a bit much. But then she has been in the business for a long time and only ever has the best interest of the dogs in mind so I'd never second guess her. In spite of how this post sounds.

• Love 6

My guess is they heard a lot more on that phone call. They both totally had mush/meth mouth. I am just a super asshole stereo-typer but I'm ok with that.

The Artemis adopters were idiots. Shelter dogs can take a long time to settle in. I don't even know if they just wanted to be on tv, or if having a pit bull IRL scared them or if they were just dumb as fuck.  I'm guessing a combo?

I'm a super judgmental person and their weird 12 year gap between kids was as freaky as the Tennessee people.

• Love 7

Not only did the guy look like a total meth head, but the dog gave all the clues I needed to see - Smack wouldn't even go near him.  It was also very telling that the wife didn't even try to explain or defend his attitude.  As nice as all the preparations for the dog were, I felt there was something "off", too, so I'm glad Tia didn't take the risk.

There is a very special place in hell for the person who shot sweet Curtis.  I wish all the worst for that person until he gets there.  I was ever so glad to see that Curtis got the home he so richly deserved.

• Love 7

The testing at VRC with the horse was a little odd to me, just because horses don't live in houses. Then when we saw the home visit and got to know the potential adopters a little more, I wouldn't put it past them to let a dog run loose to run all over the property.

The show always pretends that potential adopters only see 3 dogs to choose from, but I wonder what the real process is like.

• Love 5

I have been a volunteer in dog rescue for over 13 years. For whatever strange reason Wade just made my senses stand on end when he first arrived at the shelter in NOL. I couldn't put my finger on it but he appeared to be there just because his wife wanted the dog. He so proudly showed off his canon and three wheeler. Smack seemed to sense something also since she avoided him. I am so glad that the truth came out before Tia made the decision to leave Smack there. Once caught Wade looked like he could care less. Maybe the wife needed the companionship of the dog because she had an idiot for a husband. Tia made the right decision.

I was so overjoyed to see the outcome for Curtis (which is also my husband's name). Those maggots crawling all over him made me so sick I almost threw-up. I have never seen a maggot infestation like that. Curtis had such a cute face. Made me want to just go and hug him.  He is finally in a home that will love him forever and he will get great health care for the rest of his life.

• Love 5

Kind of funny all of us animal lovers had a weird feeling about Wade from the start.

I at first attributed it to them both being nervous on TV, but something seemed "off" about them from the start.

And maybe I am a bad person as well, but I also got a "meth" vibe from Wade...I HATE stereotyping people (quite a few rednecks in my immediate family), but can't help how I feel. To be honest, when he left for 20 minutes, I thought the whole drama would be the crew caught him taking drugs.

What animal lover doesn't know that some dogs are PETRIFIED of loud, sudden noises (we have a Boston Terrier mix that is scared to death of thunderstorms and the 4th of July)? So either the guy was too stupid to understand BRAGGING about those two items would be a red flag or he actually was HOPING it would turn Tia off to adopting Smack to them. 

I mean seriously, a cannon that "shakes the walls of the town" (or however he put it). I think MOST dogs would hate listening to that thing. Bet dogs all over the damn county start barking when that idiot fires that thing off. I honestly wondered if the whole point of him wanting to adopt from Tia was to get on TV and show off his "toys". PLENTY of other places to adopt from...

Wow, this season is really showing us the negative side of ADOPTERS this season. But it IS part of the business.

And completely agree Walnutqueen...special place in hell for someone who would try to execute a dog as kind (or ANY dog in my opinion, but not like this one was aggressive or anything) as Curtis. What in the fuck is wrong with people? You don't want your dog (he obviously wasn't feral), take him to a shelter. Stuff like this just moves me closer to my dream of moving to Alaska to just get away from people...

• Love 4

I got a good laugh out of naming him Curtis after 50 Cent. I didn't necessarily think his former owner shot him, though -- maybe he ran off/escaped and a neighbor or random passing asshole decided to use him as target practice?

People! Gah.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

One of the first things that struck me, when I started watching this show and did some research into Villalobos, was how reasonable they are in their adoption requirements and screening procedures.  Because there are a number of rescue organizations out there who have ridiculous rules and make potential adopters jump through so many unwarranted hoops that people who would be great owners are arbitrarily excluded (and pets denied good homes).  Imagine what Wade would think of one of them.

Had he been complaining about the filming process, I'd have been sympathetic; it takes quite a bit of time, and a lot of people aren't prepared for that.  But to have an "all this for a damn dog?" mindset?  Hell, no - I wouldn't have left Smack there, either.  Did he just want to see himself on TV?  Well, you got your wish, Wade.

Bubbly is adorable!

Curtis covered in maggots was a rather stunning sight.  Blech.  How great for him he got a home without ever having to live in the kennels. 

I wonder what Lizzie's background is; she took over for Tania doing the meds long ago, and now Matt said something about her being good with the medical stuff, so I wonder if she just has an aptitude for it or if she worked in that field prior to meeting ... um, whichever one of the twins she's engaged to; Moe, right? ... and hiring on with VRC. 

• Love 3

Thought I remember hearing that Lizzie is either a Vet tech or studying to be one ?

WOW, Curtis was a gorgeous and chill dog, wasn't he ?!    I can't imagine anybody being justified in shooting him.  No way.  He didn't show an ounce of aggression.

Wade, the potential adopter of Smack, pinged my "Weirdar" too.   There was something off about him.   Glad Tia took Smack back, I didn't want to see her left there.  Something was wrong.

Bubbly !   Another gorgeous and sweet boy !  Love that he was all bouncy (bubbly hee) and happy to see Lizzie when he was all cleaned up.  So cute !

• Love 2

I really like him, too. Since you haven’t seen all the episodes, you may not know Jake goes way back with the family, well before he started working at Villalobos. His mom and Tia were friendly through dog training, so the kids all knew each other – he was close friends with Tania, teased Mariah like she was his little sister, etc. When he worked at VRC in Agua Dulce, he lived in Tia’s house.

That’s why him getting locked back up was as hard as it was on Tia. She’d really come to rely on him (and Mondo) at the ranch after AJ was arrested, but there was also tremendous personal disappointment and heartache in seeing him make such a stupid mistake, because he was like family.

And, of course, when he left. I like that while he sort of talked around it, Jake did acknowledge he handled his resignation really badly, but it was because he just had no idea how to do it so he sort of shut down, spit it out, and left.

I've seen all of the older episodes a bunch of times, so I knew all of that. I just haven't watched much of the past couple of seasons.

I prefer the California years.

I don't watch too much anymore. Since adopting my severly abused and neglected Border Collie, I've seen the horrors of abuse first hand. I have a really hard time watching it on TV now.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

Wade weirded me out too.  First off, on the Villalobos FB page people from that part of TN say there are pitbulls everywhere in that area so the couple's comment about wanting to introduce pitbulls there was BS.  They're already there and in droves.

Also, I got the vibe he's somehow connected to a dogfighting ring.  That guy seemed really excited about the dog that was game to go after that horse, but when Tia nixed it and he saw that Smack couldn't care less about the horse, he lost interest.  I could imagine he was hoping to get a game pitbull for a dogfighting ring to fund his meth habit and then telling his wife the dog ran away. It was definitely telling that Smack didn't want anything to do with him.

My guess is they heard a lot more on that phone call.

Oh yeah.  I would bet Wade's meth stash that they heard WAY more than him just griping about "going though all this bullshit for a stupid dog."  

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3

Great show. That wedding brought tears to my eyes. I loved the way the couple celebrated the pets in their lives with pics at the reception. Tia getting so emotional was quite the surprise.

That puppy must have wonder who all those folks were that had her surrounded. She seems to have a wonderful personality and happy that her leg was fixed.

• Love 3

Aww I love Lizzie & Moe!!!!

So sweet that Tia thinks the world of them too.

I loved seeing Monster in the wedding. Godspeed sweet guy!

I love all the love shown tonight.

How many times have I used the word "love" in this post? LOL

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 2

What's the reason behind not wanting to place female dogs in a home with another female?

Female dogs can sometimes get feisty with each other and fight for dominance.  Tia won't take any chances when adopting out her pit bulls, no matter how small the risk.

• Love 1

What's the reason behind not wanting to place female dogs in a home with another female?

I'm sure there are others here that know more about this than me, but, I've always heard that two unrelated dogs are more likely to get along better in the same family if they are the opposite sex. I know my brother always has 2 dogs and they are never the same sex. Whoops! WQ beat me to it.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 1

Forgot to say:

Anyone else notice the awesome locket Lizzie was wearing in her talking head(s)?

It was a locket with pic of Monster ... ( or maybe Jack?) either way ..... It was beautiful & touching

• Love 2

I am just happy we had a non-depressing episode! Well, until the end there...

Tia kind of reminds me of myself...she puts on this tough exterior, but she is really a big softie at heart. Very evident in how emotional she got over her son.

Really sad it turns out Monster passed. :(

You could tell they knew the time was coming....he definitely had a good life though.

• Love 3

Really sad it turns out Monster passed. :(

You could tell they knew the time was coming....he definitely had a good life though.

Awww. Absolutely. Like Moe said " Tears of joy that he made it this far."

• Love 2

I've always loved the twins, I love the mischief in their eyes and their excitement about everything. They just seem to have fun no matter what they do. I've always preferred the twins to Tania and Mariah, nothing against them, they're just a little too sad sacky for my taste, especially Tania.

I loved the wedding. Relaxed and informal. It suited them perfectly.

Edited by Maharincess

Tia's cell phone footage at the end of Jethro jumping up and down outside the door cracked me up.  I love how much she adores him in spite of himself.  I mean, obviously she's going to love him, but she also genuinely enjoys him despite his irritating habits.  I love Jethro!  It will be interesting to see how much he settles down as he gets older.

The little girl and Ivy are the perfect match.  That looked like too low a fence, so I hope they don't leave her out there unattended.  Methinks Ivy won't want to get far from the kid, though.

• Love 3

I was so afraid for Jethro - he was very lucky to have survived.  Seeing him jumping up & down like a jack-in-a-box on Tia's video put a huge grin on my face.  He is such a good natured goofball.

It was great to see Ivy get a home and a whole lotta love.  I have a feeling she will be doted on by both Mom and daughter.

Tia's wolf catching moves with the crate were cool to watch; she certainly has a lot of tricks up her sleeve.  I hope the poor dog she rescued comes out of his shell, and doesn't stay shut down like Rosie-mama did - there could be a wonderful loving dog under all that emotional trauma.

• Love 1
The little girl and Ivy are the perfect match. That looked like too low a fence, so I hope they don't leave her out there unattended.

I had the same thought. Ivy may not normally be a jumper, but what if there's a squirrel or cat or loud noise on the other side of the fence one day. She could scramble over in a few seconds even if someone was in the yard with her. But that did look like a great match between dog and human. Nice to see after those two bummer adoptions recently.

I was beginning to wonder if the producers were deliberately not showing clips of aggressive dogs in order not to feed the flames of the "pit bulls are killers" belief, but that one left alone in the house was pretty snarly. Generally, though, all the dogs we see in the kennels and even the strays seem so docile and friendly.

It's interesting how people bond with certain dogs. The staff at VRC interact with hundreds of different animals but there are always one or two that really touch them and they end up adopting. I was a little surprised that Tia felt that strongly about Jethro, simply because he isn't a pit bull.

Have we ever seen where Tia lives? It looked like that might have been her house in Assumption Parish, but I don't recall seeing anything in New Orleans proper.

• Love 5

I was actually surprised that pit wasn't more aggressive. A complete stranger in HIS home, cornering him when he is scared and hungry.

I can tell you with 100% certainty, you come in MY house as a stranger with no one home, my 30lb pekingese and beagle mix IS going to bite you (especially if you are male, he hates men for some reason, excluding myself). Of course on the flip side, my Boston Terrier mix would just lick an intruder to death...

But, Tia obviously knows what she is doing.

I really did think Jethro was a goner, given how this season has gone...

I can completely relate to Tia and Jethro. My Boston Terrier is a royal pain in the ass as well. She eats EVERYTHING. We can't even have dog toys any more because unlike a normal dog that will chew up a toy and leave bits everywhere, she swallows it all....I have had to pull some large pieces of rubber out of her rear end that I have no damn clue how she actually swallowed.

But, you couldn't pay me a million dollars for her. She is the most affectionate dog I have ever owned. Just CONSTANTLY have to be on your toes about not leaving anything out she can eat.

On a weird side note, damn those Oscars were HUGE! I used to have some myself, but they didn't get THAT big.

• Love 3

Have we ever seen where Tia lives? It looked like that might have been her house in Assumption Parish, but I don't recall seeing anything in New Orleans proper.

Yeah, she lives out in the country now at that house we see; it's now their satellite location.  When she comes in, she has the motorhome or the warehouse to stay in, but she no longer lives in the city.

The situation with Elaine makes me angry all over again about the SPCA refusing to release that dog who was dumped in a crate by the railroad tracks to VRC.  They made the decision to euthanize based on one week's evaluation in a crowded, noisy shelter.  Maybe after months in a calmer environment, Tia would have made the same choice, as she may do with Elaine; we've seen several times on the show that she believes dogs with human aggression that cannot be managed should be put down, for their own sake as well as people's.  But that dog would have had a proper evaluation as Elaine is getting.

Elfie's love of presenting her belly - to be rubbed, sun-tanned, whatever - is adorable, and I hope she remains cancer free and happy for years to come.  Mammary tumors are scary.

I've been more beside myself at finding my lost pet after an hour and a half than Gaga's owner was at finding hers after a month and a half, but people are different, there were cameras there, etc.  All that matters is she gets an ID tag, a chip, and a better-secured yard. 

I finally watched the episode from two weeks ago, with Moe and Lizzy's wedding.  It was sweet the way the dogs were included, and sad to see the "In memory of" at the end.  Very sweet to hear Moe say her moving in with him wasn't just a commitment to their relationship, but to becoming a mother to his dogs. 

The rehearsal dinner and wedding both looked great; very relaxed and enjoyable.

It taking a dozen people to capture one little dog versus one or two for a pit gave me a chuckle.  That was a cute dog, and I'm glad the vet was able to fix her leg.

Tania was funny, asking Perry if his mom knew about the port-a-potty in the canal incident and, when he said no, declaring, "I'm going to tell her right now."

• Love 2

Yeah, I try not to judge how people react to different things because everyone reacts differently under different situations.

But she really didn't seem OVERLY happy she got her dog back after a month.

If MY dog was lost for a month....I would have been shaking like a leaf when I showed up to claim them and when I finally saw them, I would have been bawling like a baby...but I guess that is me. There are people like us in this thread that view our pets as our children and then there are people that view their pets as "just pets".

And the SPCA killing Leatrice after such a short time REALLY angered me. They got a TON of bad publicity out of that. I just can not for the life of me figure out why they couldn't just give the dog to Tia for evaluation. How is that any worse than killing the poor thing? Ugh, even now it pisses me off..........

I hate the idea of killing any dog for any reason....but I understand there are limited resources available and they need to use those resources on dogs that will be adoptable (in regards to the dog last night and not Leatrice who never got a fair shot). Hopefully Tia can work some of her magic, but I am afraid it won't happen.

And yes it is weird seeing Mariahs hair constantly changing from short to long back to short. Though I think it is only the interviews where it is short.

Edited by Jenkins
  • Love 1
I've been more beside myself at finding my lost pet after an hour and a half than Gaga's owner was at finding hers after a month and a half, but people are different, there were cameras there, etc.

Despite Tia's claims to the contrary, it didn't seem like Gaga was super interested in seeing the (purported) owner, either. A lot of dogs jump up and lick strangers, as we've seen many times during the adoption segments.

I was a little concerned during the adoption home visit because the dog wasn't interested in being cuddly with, or even paying attention to, the new owners. I thought it might turn into another incident of the family immediately returning her because she was "sad" and they didn't have the patience to give her time to settle in.

I'm probably not the only one who thought Tia should send Elaine to Cesar Millan.

• Love 1

It was a little distracting last night when Miranda was doing the THs she had her old hair, but, during the show, her hair had been cut off.

I figure she pops on a wig every now and then.  It certainly looked like one (a bad one) at Moe's wedding. 

Everyone does react differently to different circumstances.  I saw nothing wrong with how Gaga's owner was acting.  Some people are just not very demonstrative.  And there were TV cameras there.  She certainly cared enough to actually come to Villa Lobos to pick up Gaga despite Mariah insisting that it couldn't be her dog because of the bandana. 

• Love 2

No new episode tonight, but there's a new episode next Saturday, preceded by an all-day marathon.  (I wish it was the other way around, but, alas, Animal Planet doesn't consult my schedule when planning its programming line-up.)

• Love 2

Yup, lots of shows taking holiday breaks (much to my annoyance).

Interesting there will be a new episode next weekend though, most shows aren't coming back until January...

But thanks for the heads up, would have wondered why when I sat down to watch my recording of PBAP tonight it wasn't there. :)

Some good news to report though:

"Animal Planet wants reality series “Pit Bulls and Parolees” to “stay.” The cable channel has renewed the show for a 10-episode Season 8, ahead of its milestone 100th episode.

The 100th episode will air on Saturday, Jan. 2 at 10 p.m. Immediately after, Fox Sports TV personality and pit bull advocate Jay Glazer will host an 11 o’clock special from the Villalobos Rescue Center."

• Love 2

Jay Glazer annoys me, but I will watch (especially since I don't care about that night's bowl game).

The early renewal is great, but only ten episodes?  Did that article reference a pick-up option for more?  (I know it can't go on forever, but it's a nice source of revenue for them and is a factor in their adoption rates, so I want it to go on as long as they do.)

• Love 3

Jay Glazer annoys me, but I will watch (especially since I don't care about that night's bowl game).

The early renewal is great, but only ten episodes? Did that article reference a pick-up option for more? (I know it can't go on forever, but it's a nice source of revenue for them and is a factor in their adoption rates, so I want it to go on as long as they do.)

Not only that but the show has changed how so many people feel about Pit Bulls. I personally know somebody who went from hating these dogs and thinking they'd attack anything that moved, to adopting an abused Pit all because of the show.

I admit that even though I didn't hate the breed, I had a lot of fear of them. Being a groomer, I'd heard some stories, the few I groomed were good dogs but I had convinced myself that they were the exception after all I had heard in the media.

From watching the show I saw that they are just like any other dog. They are as good and as bad as any other breed. If I wasn't such a Border Collie lover, I would even think about adopting one.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4

I wouldn't adopt a pit because of my neighbors. Some of the sweetest dogs I've known were pits but they were outlawed in my neighborhood for years. Once the ban was lifted, the damage had been done. If I adopted one, my neighbors should make my life a living hell. People around here now fear them without ever having known one and that in itself should be a crime.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 1