Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E12: Fashion Week: Who's In & Who's Out

• Start Topic

I think the contestants aren't allowed to go home until the competition is over so as not to spoil the results. They're all just hanging around NYC which is why they got Alexander so quickly.

You are probably right.  Must get pretty boring for the contestants who get kicked off first.  And frustrating because you could be a good designer who gets kicked for having a bad day, and you see another designer with fewer skills move forward.  That would happen with any of these shows, of course,  I give this much credit to Project Runway that they do keep their secrets pretty well (or I just don't care enough to search out spoilers). 

• Love 1

According to past contestants, they are not only just hanging around NYC, the booted contestants are sequestered in a hotel in NYC and *daily* have to be in the van with the remaining active contestants going to and from Parson's, etc.  So Korina had already been in the van to Parson's with the others the day before, and the day of her walk out.  

Oh, I think it was absolutely an event; Korina made it one, with her almost comically exaggerated frown, the crossed arms, the palpable hostility she exuded, and the furious staccato of her heels as she fumed her way off the set.

I officially give up.  I'm asking people not to believe their own eyes, and there's no way I can achieve that, obviously.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 2

A belief that Korina is a douche isn't an assertion that's she's the only douche. I believe that editing and production interference can--or attempt to--change viewers' perceptions of what happens. I also believe that my own eyes saw that girl act like an entitled bitch as well. That doesn't mean that I blindly assume she was the only one to have done so, or that she may not have had unseen-by-me reasons for doing so. Just that what I did see was Korina being a douche.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Folks,

There's a lot of repetitive comments about Korina's actions and the influence / lack of influence of the editors. If you've stated your position already then please move on from the topic. I'm posting this in the Korina topic as well. 

PM me with any questions. Thanks!

• Love 5

According to past contestants, they are not only just hanging around NYC, the booted contestants are sequestered in a hotel in NYC and *daily* have to be in the van with the remaining active contestants going to and from Parson's, etc.  So Korina had already been in the van to Parson's with the others the day before, and the day of her walk out.  

Wow... that would really suck. I always kind of assumed they were still in the same city but I had no idea they were having to interact so much.

• Love 1

I was wondering if the reason Alexander wasn't included as one of the original helpers is because his elimination dress was not available to redo. Did his muse model get to take it home? When they do the "real person" challenges I assume the garments go with the women. Even if it was awful, she might have still wanted it as a momento of this experience. So if his dress wasn't there for the designers to choose, he couldn't be one of the assistants.

• Love 10

It's a sign of how lackluster this season has been that Char's outfits got her into the finals.  I wasn't wowed by any of the designers this year, and was mostly underwhelmed with all the designs this episode, but am really surprised they wanted to see more of her work.  Since when does Nina want to see more tight and shiny hot pink satin skirts with a random sheaf of squares tacked on?  Or poochy black dresses with bandanas at the waist?

I hated the colors Amanda chose, especially the big patchwork black/white piece in the front.  It was a weird blob amongst the other blob patches.  I could see doing that silhouette in very light chiffon-y type fabrics so it's floaty, but that looked heavy and messy at the bottom.

Did not understand what the judges saw in Sean's white outfit.  Whatever it is, I don't want to see more of it.  I thought it was unflattering on the model. 

I loved Kini's coat, thought he did a great job with the red dress though I don't love it, and that skirt and blouse was all kinds of wrong.  But, I am looking forward to seeing his runway collection very much.

I really liked the idea of a soft, cozy giant hoodie, but Emilly's execution wasn't quite right for me.  Given more time, she might have made it work. 

It was nice to see Fade again!

• Love 2

I understand that the contestants are still around after they get eliminated, and that's how they brought Alexander back so quickly. My point was why did they NOT already have him included in the group of 5 returning designers? He was the most recently eliminated aside from Korina so he would've been an obvious choice to bring back.  I would expect it to have been Korina, Alexander, Sandhya, Fade, and Samantha to begin with. Yet, instead they brought back Mitchell instead of Alexander initially, and only brought in Alexander when Korina stomped off.  That's what seemed odd to me. If Korina hadn't done that, which they supposedly didn't know she would, we wouldn't have seen Alexander back at all.  

ETA: 

I was wondering if the reason Alexander wasn't included as one of the original helpers is because his elimination dress was not available to redo.

That could be it, Seelouis ... thanks!

Edited by SecretHaze

I was wondering if the reason Alexander wasn't included as one of the original helpers is because his elimination dress was not available to redo. Did his muse model get to take it home? When they do the "real person" challenges I assume the garments go with the women. Even if it was awful, she might have still wanted it as a momento of this experience. So if his dress wasn't there for the designers to choose, he couldn't be one of the assistants.

Good point. Heck I'd want it as a souvenir for awhile even if I didn't like it that much.

• Love 1

She may have just wanted to be the one to burn it :)  But seriously, if Alexander does ever become a famous designer it could be worth something, and he is only 22, there is time.

• Love 1

It's a sign of how lackluster this season has been that Char's outfits got her into the finals.  I wasn't wowed by any of the designers this year, and was mostly underwhelmed with all the designs this episode, but am really surprised they wanted to see more of her work.  Since when does Nina want to see more tight and shiny hot pink satin skirts with a random sheaf of squares tacked on?  Or poochy black dresses with bandanas at the waist?

I hated the colors Amanda chose, especially the big patchwork black/white piece in the front.  It was a weird blob amongst the other blob patches.  I could see doing that silhouette in very light chiffon-y type fabrics so it's floaty, but that looked heavy and messy at the bottom.

Did not understand what the judges saw in Sean's white outfit.  Whatever it is, I don't want to see more of it.  I thought it was unflattering on the model. 

I loved Kini's coat, thought he did a great job with the red dress though I don't love it, and that skirt and blouse was all kinds of wrong.  But, I am looking forward to seeing his runway collection very much.

I really liked the idea of a soft, cozy giant hoodie, but Emilly's execution wasn't quite right for me.  Given more time, she might have made it work. 

It was nice to see Fade again!

Sadly I think my favorite look of this whole season so far was Char's 1 hour dress. But I agree with you in general, it's really hard to believe how few looks I've liked.

Do not like that white outfit at all, and I don't even understand all the love for it. I feel like I'm really missing something because it must be fabulous, right?

I think I would've liked the hoodie better if she hadn't said she had been thinking about making it for a long time. Maybe that's lame but I feel like it wasn't even made as part of the challenge, she just wanted to make a big comfy hoodie and this was the challenge she could find that sort of fit. I thought it'd be better since she's apparently been thinking about it for a long time.

Yes it was good to see Fade!  He looked a lot better than he did last time he was on the show (meaning health-wise). Which makes me think the show itself must take a pretty huge toll on them, especially if they're not even allowed to go home at any point. Loved how excited he was to work with Amanda. Like her or not, I think she must be a mostly pleasant person to work with.

She may have just wanted to be the one to burn it :)  But seriously, if Alexander does ever become a famous designer it could be worth something, and he is only 22, there is time.

lol I hadn't even considered that possibility but you could be right!

• Love 1

Do not like that white outfit at all, and I don't even understand all the love for it. I feel like I'm really missing something because it must be fabulous, right?

I think I would've liked the hoodie better if she hadn't said she had been thinking about making it for a long time. Maybe that's lame but I feel like it wasn't even made as part of the challenge, she just wanted to make a big comfy hoodie and this was the challenge she could find that sort of fit. I thought it'd be better since she's apparently been thinking about it for a long time.

Yes it was good to see Fade!  He looked a lot better than he did last time he was on the show (meaning health-wise). Which makes me think the show itself must take a pretty huge toll on them, especially if they're not even allowed to go home at any point. Loved how excited he was to work with Amanda. Like her or not, I think she must be a mostly pleasant person to work with.

This is how I feel too about Sean's outfit.  It's almost like that story The Emperors New Clothes.  Like, because the judges keep telling me its fabulous, it must be fabulous, and I don't understand why I'm not seeing the fabulousness :(

I was happy to see Fade too, I wish he had gotten farther, and it would be great if he decided to do an All Stars (if they offered it to him)

My only beef with Emily and the hoodie was that she has made them before, so I didn't quite understand what was so very groundbreaking about this one.  I actually liked her hoodie from the future challenge much better.

• Love 2

Well I adore Sean's outfit.. Would wear it in a New York minute to a lunch in huge city. It would have to be scaled way down for me though since I am not 5'10. Next life.

I can't think of any prize big enough to make it worth going through the torture they all go through... The short challenges, the design in half an hour, the live with people you don't like (summer camp!), and the insult of you may not only not leave but just continue to stay at camp. No wonder they get lame designers. Though I just say Alexander handled it beautifully. Maybe it helps to be very young. If you're right out of college, sharing a room seems normal enough.

I miss the days when a team leader would take the blame because he was the team leader. The extra dose of honor it used to have.

• Love 1

I can't think of any prize big enough to make it worth going through the torture they all go through.

I'm a light sleeper and a bit of an introvert, so sharing rooms with strangers, not being able to sleep due to anxiety and excitement, the long production days, the grating personalities...I'd be on my last nerve after about a week in.

The way production keeps chiseling away at what this series once was, and the resulting stress on the contestants, is beginning to remind me of the old dance marathons, where contestants had to keep dancing 24/7 in order to win paltry prizes.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4

You said it, they shoot horses....

It's sad because in reality it's the clothes and the creativity that made this interesting to me. I hate all the drama. The best. Part is the runway. I wish they'd go back to that and treat them like adults. The only reason they should be sharing rooms is if the production company can't afford individuals. It's ridiculous. That kind of thing has no bearing on real life. Working together sure. But living together? No.

• Love 5

I assume that Korina and the others are bound by their contracts to come back if they are asked to appear after they are out of the competition, so I wonder what if any consequences there were for her not participating--or maybe she fulfilled her contract by bringing the drama once again.

I actually thought that white outfit was one of the worst I've seen since this show began. It looked like something that we would have been forced to wear when I was in nursing school. (OT, my class actually had a girl that totally dropped out of the nursing program because she refused to wear the mandatory nursing uniform DRESS. She wanted to wear pants.) Anyway, I never did understand what was so great about the fugly white uniform. I will never be convinced that it was not a work uniform of some sort.

If Char manages to capture the win this season, I may never watch PR again.

The red evening dress was TO.DIE.FOR.

Amanda's tent dress was hideous IMO.

• Love 6

Count me as one giving Emily's big "I've been DYING to make this hoodie design..." major side-eye. Nice woman, but come on. Nearly everything she made had a hood, cowl, or something hood-ish. Almost as bad as Fringe Boy and his favorite security element.

Now, if it had been in some fab color to distinguish from the others, maybe.

Not saying that deserved the auf, but geez. It's not exactly a major shock submission from her.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 7
Re: Kini and the distrastrous denim skirt...

He listened to Tim. Shouldn't have.

I agree.  I really do. Designers need to have their own instincts, and this show should help them learn to follow them more, and learn the "right" instincts, too.  Kini's his own man and to be the 'best' designer on the show he should have made a better outfit to complement that coat.  That's all fine.

I don't blame Tim for the skirt.

All I want is more clips of Tim owning up to his comments.  That's all I want.  

• Love 3

I think it was either a bit of foot in mouth or a bit of awkward editing (or both) with Emily's comment about the hoodie. Really, I think it's naive to assume the designers don't go into it with a handful of ideas of the sorts of stuff they'd like to do, and then just wait for a challenge when they can make one of those prefab ideas fit the criteria, or try to bullshit their way into claiming it does. Maybe they don't all do that, but it's nor surprising to me that some would have a bunch of "looks" basically in their back pocket waiting for an excuse to do one. Heck if they think the idea is good enough, I bet they don't care if it meets the criteria because the judges have often been willing ignore when designers ignore the challenge, as long as they don't outright break the rules and as long as the result is something they like. Emily may have thought this idea fit that. Even though she was wrong and the judges didn't drool all over it, her mistake here wasn't wanting to do that sort of thing all along: it was saying so outloud. I think that made it worse for the viewing audience.

The producer manipulation seemed very thick this week.  Most of the comments by the judges bore no connection to what was before them.  They seemed designed solely to justify the pre-ordined result.  Nina saying Sean's white outift was one of the best things she's seen on the show was particularly ridiculous.  Are your eyes fading, Nina?  Did you not see that the front panels were off by 3/4 inch?  And the stray threads hanging off the skirt?  That was driving me nuts.  And, as has been pointed out, no urban person wears white, yet no comment on completely misreading the challenge.  There's a reason why black is the NY uniform- life in the city is dirty. 

I will turn in to the final only because the runway shows are going to be craptastically amusing. 

• Love 4

I hated the colors Amanda chose, especially the big patchwork black/white piece in the front

The brindle section?  the funny thing is that I really liked the dress - that and the psychedelic yeti thing from last week are probably the things I've liked the most from her.  But that combination of navy/black/paprika/curry/brindle - wow, did I ever hate that.  Just ugly to me.

I thought Sean's dress was great  and liked it better than any other thing he's done.  And none of that stupid fringe.  (Hey, that goes for Amanda too - that shitty looking T-shirt fringe they both love so much is HORRIBLE.)

I thought Kini's was awful, worst thing he's shown all season.  The skirt was hideous and the coat and blouse were just a coat and blouse.  I liked Emily's a lot and thought it was way more interesting than  Char's.  I thought it was sort of ridiculous they way Tim and the judges acted as though the pocket on the skirt were some big dealbreaker one way or the other - the whole skirt was just kind of OK pocket or no pocket.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

LMAO.  I would have died laughing if she did that.  It would have been a good death, but then sad, because I wouldn't get to read all of your snark.  Unless they have snark in heaven?

Actually, snark permeates the Judaeo-Christian heritage ...  There's Noah's snark, the Snark of the Covenant, the "snark of Cain," the apostles, Matthew, Snark, Luke and John, St. Joan of Snark, the old-time hymn "Snark of Ages," the Christmas carol "Snark, the Herald Angels Sing" ... so yeah, I'm guessing they have snark in heaven.   :)

(if they don't, I'm in trouble, lol)

Edited by millennium
  • Love 12

Actually, snark permeates the Judaeo-Christian heritage ...  There's Noah's snark, the Snark of the Covenant, the "snark of Cain," the apostles, Matthew, Snark, Luke and John, St. Joan of Snark, the old-time hymn "Snark of Ages," the Christmas carol "Snark, the Herald Angels Sing" ... so yeah, I'm guessing they have snark in heaven.   :)

(if they don't, I'm in trouble, lol)

LOL......if I could actually laugh my ass off, it would be gone by now, thank you :)

• Love 1

The producer manipulation seemed very thick this week.  Most of the comments by the judges bore no connection to what was before them.  They seemed designed solely to justify the pre-ordined result.  Nina saying Sean's white outift was one of the best things she's seen on the show was particularly ridiculous.  Are your eyes fading, Nina?  Did you not see that the front panels were off by 3/4 inch?  And the stray threads hanging off the skirt?  That was driving me nuts.  And, as has been pointed out, no urban person wears white, yet no comment on completely misreading the challenge.  There's a reason why black is the NY uniform- life in the city is dirty. 

I will turn in to the final only because the runway shows are going to be craptastically amusing.

Remember when Heidi said, "And what in the world is going on here?" about the white outfit? I think maybe that she really hated it but the powers-that-be edited it so It would seem like she loved it instead. I don't know, just a thought but the way she made that statement really sounded at first like she thought it was dreadful.
  • Love 3

Nina saying Sean's white outift was one of the best things she's seen on the show was particularly ridiculous.  Are your eyes fading, Nina?  Did you not see that the front panels were off by 3/4 inch?  And the stray threads hanging off the skirt?  That was driving me nuts.  And, as has been pointed out, no urban person wears white, yet no comment on completely misreading the challenge.  There's a reason why black is the NY uniform- life in the city is dirty. 

As someone who liked Sean's look (I wouldn't say it's one of the best looks ever on the show, but I certainly think it was one of the best looks of the season), I'll point out again that he was inspired by someone literally wearing all white walking around the city.  In other words, this argument is disproven before it was made!

As for the stitching, they only decide they care about such things when they hate you.  I must admit, it is hilarious that, as someone noted, Sean once again stole a design detail from someone else and got a lot of praise for it--in this case the raglan sleeve 'cutouts' taken from Kini's American Girl look.  He was less successful copying the fringe yet again (this time from Char's American Girl look).  I don't know what we're going to get from Sean in the final, since he'll have nobody to copy...

I thought it was sort of ridiculous they way Tim and the judges acted as though the pocket on the skirt were some big dealbreaker one way or the other - the whole skirt was just kind of OK pocket or no pocket.

Yeah, I can't say I get that either.  I agree with your whole post, actually, except I like the colors on Amanda's dress.

• Love 3
Kini's for the win, hands-down.

I absolutely have to agree with this.  He is fast and somewhat innovative.  However, he also can be his own worse enemy.  Amanda has quickly moved up to possibly winning and I have a bad feeling that she is being preamed for the win.  Char did make it to FWeek but she really has no chance in the nether regions of hell of winning.  Sean I feel is even worse as he is stuck on one look and will probably repeat that look over and over on the runway.

My problem with Emily's look is that I made those clothes for my 8 year old daughter back in the late 70s and early 80s for school.  I didn't see any innovation in them at all.  I believe with Char, there is a spark of creativity if not good execution.   With Kini I see superior execution with not a hint of creativity.  Amanda, on the other hand has both but appears to be stuck in the past.  Sean is just a quieter male Korina who believe his own hype with nothing to back it up

Pretty much I am agreeing that none of the contestants this season are very good

I am excited that Christian Seriano will have his own show.

I'm not sure I've seen all that much technical skill from Amanda this season, and as near as I can tell her form of creativity is unmarketable, if not unwearable. I think her other job, stylist, is probably more suited to her. Kini may not ever burn any barns, but he makes well-constructed wearable clothes, and of the final four I think he's most likely to make something of the opportunity. MMV, of course.

• Love 3

I think her other job, stylist, is probably more suited to her.

Actually, based on how Amanda dresses, I wouldn't hire her as a stylist either, but, from some of the comments on this forum, I guess Amanda's style has a following. (not me--I'm not a fashion person.  She seems to favor a style that was popular when I was a teenager and she just seems too young at 32 to be stuck in an era that predates her.)  To me, Char and Emily have both come up with more interesting looks for themselves than they designed for other people.

I believe with Char, there is a spark of creativity if not good execution.   With Kini I see superior execution with not a hint of creativity.

I tend to agree with that.  I think Char and Kini would be an interesting team (were they paired at one point...my poor brain is not remembering this season very well).  I keep hoping that Kini really does have creativity but he is holding it in check, but I think I'm just being optimistic since he is so likeable (not a criteria for winning Project Runway, obviously).

• Love 1

Yes people do wear white in the city. Seriously, they do. Just as anywhere else, you don't wear white if you're going hiking or standing around somewhere particularly dirty but as a commuter I've never had anything magically land on me from the subway or the street just walking along. And rainy puddles happen everywhere, not just New York. I did love Sean's look. I'm a little tired of the way Heidi deliberately hides what she's going to say to make the designers nervous.... You/re..... (out? in?).... but I guess she's directed to do that.

I thought Sean's look was pretty stunning. And I didn't think Kini invented those cutouts, so I don't think Sean "stole" them.

True enough, I'm sure, that Kini didn't invent the cut-outs, but --- Sean has been very obviously quick to jump on something another designer does that the judges like (fringe was another example).  It just seems cheesy to me, and I'm exceedingly surprised there has been no comment about it from the judges.  

True enough, I'm sure, that Kini didn't invent the cut-outs, but --- Sean has been very obviously quick to jump on something another designer does that the judges like (fringe was another example). It just seems cheesy to me, and I'm exceedingly surprised there has been no comment about it from the judges.

I agree. Obviously neither designer invented cutouts.

Sean sees something working for another designer, so then he decides to use it.

I think Sean's tapping into what the judges seem to like, and hoping that doing so insures his win.

I haven't been blown away by any of his outfits.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I haven't been blown away by any of his outfits.

I really loved his vibrant blue fringe dress (I think it was for the "make a dress for Heidi" challenge?). I thought it was a beautiful color and had great movement. It put me in good mood watching the model wearing it as she went down the runway. It just looked so fun and swing-y.

I wasn't into the style of the dress for the rainway episode but I thought his idea was very clever and he took a big chance that could have backfired terribly. I was impressed with him for all of that.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3