Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E12: Fashion Week: Who's In & Who's Out

• Start Topic

She's not that young. She's what, 28, 29? That's plenty old enough to know not to have a full-on tantrum when things don't go her way. I agree that she's immature and unprofessional, but IMO those aren't excuses - those are flaws, and ones she needs to work on, especially in the workplace.

Agreed. And Alexander was only 22, but we never saw him throwing temper tantrums, stomping around, or attacking other people when he got eliminated!

• Love 6

As a New Yorker I have to say I thought the judges were spot on about Sean and Amanda. I have seen girls in soho and the village in long cool maxis just like that but not as fashion forward and Sean's outfit was absolutely amazing. New York is not Pittsburgh in the 19th century, you can absolutely wear white without getting dirty. It's not a cola mining town. I don't know where you all are getting that. I can imagine that look on Madison Avenue in a second. It looks more expensive than Amanda's. And I imagine whoever wears it is not traipsing around anyway but going from expensive lunch to shopping etc. It looked expensive and chic, But chars? Nobody in NYC would wear hat. But nobody. She does not deserve to go to fashion week. At all. Even her answer sucked.

I too was disappointed that almost nobody but Sean looked at people. Tim said the sidewalk is many people's catwalk and they took inspiration from the architecture of the catwalk. Bizarre.

• Love 10

Can someone please explain the appeal of Sean's design to me?  I admittedly do not know a lot of technical details about fashion so I am confused about why everyone was gushing over it.  The cuts of the garment were unique but the fabric choice seemed cheap looking.

I am baffled regarding the amazing that was Sean's design.  My mom thought it looked like a sci-fi nursing uniform.  It was boring and rather shapeless.  If something doesn't look good on a six foot tall, one hundred pound model, it sure isn't going to look good on anyone.

I also disliked Amanda's design, but then I always do.  I like Amanda very much, so I was happy for her that they got her.

I don't understand the need to rush the finale.  It always leads to lackluster and under inspiring looks.  It seems to be a big advantage for Kini since he's so quick.

Good Sport awards to both Char and Emily this week. Char was a champ about Korina. Emily was the definition of class and generosity of spirit when she lost. She was a sweetheart to all the others, and I admire her so much for it.

Emily showed true joy for the other designers.  It had to sting to be the only one eliminated, yet she didn't let her disappointment show.

Korina got a bad edit - because that's how she chose to portray herself.

I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, that she might have found Char's clapping to be sarcastic.  But her entitled outrage that expected everyone (including Char!) to express shock and outrage that Korina was voted out.......  What a waste of a beautiful face and sweet smile.  If her emotion was from disappointment, or even sadness, instead of anger and outrage that her superiority was not acknowledged, I would feel more compassion for her.

I loved Emily's hoodie and I thought her re-do was fine. 

Sean's ULTIMATE WHITE kaftan was baffling, as was Amanda's shapeless technicolor sack.  Char's street dress was good except the pocket was tacky, and her re-do was so very sad.  Just make a little black dress and tie some random cloth around it, except she couldn't even make a little black dress.  Considering her ongoing construction problems and taste issues she should have been sent home.

Whether Korina  was a whiny brat or not, she was over it and I don't blame her one bit for not wanting to be one of the producers' pawns anymore and walking out.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3

As for the golf clap, I didn't quite see it the same way.  From my perspective the clap looked like she was trying to communicate to Korina that she was still open to working with her without being able to say anything to her.  Both Char and Korina had to know when Tim said that the helper would be paired with the designer that  got their outfit that they were going to be stuck with each other, and Korina's eye rolls and angry looks don't seem much open to interpretation, at least to me. 

I took it this way too. I didn't feel like Char was "excited" to work with Korina but I thought she was saying she'd tolerate her new partner. I was kind of irritated with the producers for even going there, though.

• Love 9

As a New Yorker I have to say I thought the judges were spot on about Sean and Amanda. I have seen girls in soho and the village in long cool maxis just like that but not as fashion forward and Sean's outfit was absolutely amazing. New York is not Pittsburgh in the 19th century, you can absolutely wear white without getting dirty. It's not a cola mining town. I don't know where you all are getting that

Granted I haven't been there in roughly 10 years but when I last went to NYC it was disgusting - my white dress (dumb choice!)  was greasy and dirty after a few hours. When I saw the dresses on this show it was the first thing I thought of. I thought it was impressive they kept the clothes looking decent for as long as they did.

• Love 2

The truth is somewhere in between. If you're a lady who lunches, your whites will stay white if you're reasonably careful. OTOH, I've never seen anyone in the village or SoHo wear anything like Amanda's walking sack, not in fifty years (that's where I grew up, and I still work there). If it was a foot shorter and two feet narrower and in less awful colors, maybe I could see it at the farmer's market on a Saturday on someone pushing a stroller.

• Love 5

Whether Korina  was a whiny brat or not, she was over it and I don't blame her one bit for not wanting to be one of the producers' pawns anymore and walking out.

No problem with walking either but it didn't have to be shown. She should have been given a break on that one.

However, it would be really great if PR featured my designers like Kini, Robert and Koto. Now, that would be a real competition worthy of the air time. And bring back real designer judges like MK, DVF etc...

• Love 2

Add me to the chorus of those who are truly baffled by Sean's design and the judges LOVE for it.  It seemed like a old-fashioned nun/nurse/flight attendant uniform, was not body conscious, and looked uncomfortable as far as having to be careful not to wrinkle or dirty it simply by putting it on.  I don't see how it was spectacular and how everyone had chills.

Amanda's looked like a clown outfit, I hated how it pouched out at the hips and leg area and make the model look very wide and pear-shaped.  I like that she's "found her voice" and enjoys color blocking, etc but this had way too much volume and wasn't flattering.  I knew she'd be in the finals though, since she seems to be the anointed one from the beginning.  Again, making the "comeback" relevant since having her go out without redeeming herself would make their bringing back an old contestant pointless.

I love Char as a person and would love to be friends with her.  She is a very classy individual.  But she should have been out several weeks ago and should not go to fashion week.  She is a great designer for the average person, but it's not high fashion and I don't think she has amazing construction skills.  (Although we've certainly seen in the past that that doesn't matter too much on this show!)

What kind of accent does Emily have?  Is that a California Valley Girl accent?  The way she says "hoodie" like "hiddie"?  I knew she would be out, it seems like the judges have not liked her much from the beginning.  She seems to mostly have gotten no feedback by being in the middle, or negative feedback.  I think she is quite talented, creative, and deserves to be in the finals.  Certainly more than Char.  I don't know why they seemed to be so down on her.

Didn't they used to have months to do a collection? Now it's less than a month?  And I"m sure they'll have extra looks thrown in at the last minute, too.  Too bad :(

• Love 4

Agreed. And Alexander was only 22, but we never saw him throwing temper tantrums, stomping around, or attacking other people when he got eliminated!

That's because 99.9% of the time Alexander looked as if he had been dragged out of bed and into the workroom.

Edited by Surrealist

Add me to the chorus of those who are truly baffled by Sean's design and the judges LOVE for it.  It seemed like a old-fashioned nun/nurse/flight attendant uniform, was not body conscious, and looked uncomfortable as far as having to be careful not to wrinkle or dirty it simply by putting it on.  I don't see how it was spectacular and how everyone had chills.

Amanda's looked like a clown outfit, I hated how it pouched out at the hips and leg area and make the model look very wide and pear-shaped.  I like that she's "found her voice" and enjoys color blocking, etc but this had way too much volume and wasn't flattering.  I knew she'd be in the finals though, since she seems to be the anointed one from the beginning.  Again, making the "comeback" relevant since having her go out without redeeming herself would make their bringing back an old contestant pointless.

I love Char as a person and would love to be friends with her.  She is a very classy individual.  But she should have been out several weeks ago and should not go to fashion week.  She is a great designer for the average person, but it's not high fashion and I don't think she has amazing construction skills.  (Although we've certainly seen in the past that that doesn't matter too much on this show!)

What kind of accent does Emily have?  Is that a California Valley Girl accent?  The way she says "hoodie" like "hiddie"?  I knew she would be out, it seems like the judges have not liked her much from the beginning.  She seems to mostly have gotten no feedback by being in the middle, or negative feedback.  I think she is quite talented, creative, and deserves to be in the finals.  Certainly more than Char.  I don't know why they seemed to be so down on her.

Didn't they used to have months to do a collection? Now it's less than a month?  And I"m sure they'll have extra looks thrown in at the last minute, too.  Too bad :(

No it's not California Valley Girl unless I really missed out on that class somewhere along the line. I'm 5th generation Californian and I've never heard someone with that accent.

Yes I thought they used to have a few months and now it seems to be like "by tomorrow we expect you to have 10 new designs."  I'm exaggerating but it really does seem extreme.

• Love 1

Seriously, with Sean's smock? You have got to be kidding me! It looked like someone in an institution got a hold of some scissors. And the stiff, flared out sleeves....just atrocious and ridiculously unflattering. The mind boggles.

Again, love Char as a person, but come on already. This is like the joke that never ends.

• Love 8

Char is the least deserving designer ever to be sent to Fashion Week on this franchise. Her work is just meh and the outfits last night were nothing special. The black dress looked like something I might put together, and that is definitely not a compliment. Kini for the win in a lackluster season.

• Love 6

PR has done city street challenges before and it also seemed to mean get inspiration from the city itself which could include buildings, gutter water (™ Andre) or people I suppose. I don't remember Tim saying that were to ignore architecture and concentrate on what people where wearing, but I could be wrong.

Loved Kini's coat and the red dress redo was beautiful. I was very annoyed that Tim did not step up and admit Kini tried to do a simpler dress and Tim not only talked him out of it but was insistent Kini would not make it to fashion week if he didn't amp up the dress/skirt. I have to assume Tim did not tell the judges this because I didn't see him do it, I never make allowances for things that may or may not have happened off air.

Neither Amanda's gunny sack nor Sean's white outfit said city outfit or city inspired to me. I never like Amanda's look, but in this case it was neither wearable nor couture. I live in Chicago but recently spent time in NY and saw only sleek maxi's not Caftans.

Sean's outfit could possibly be called Couture, but this was a city challenge and it didn't read as something to wear for a day in the city. I didn't mind Emily's too much but she should have realized you can find fleece or wool basic hoodies in every store and her outfit did read pajamas.

Char's outfit was unattractive and she made little effort in the redone design. Kini was the only one who seemed to care about showing the judges his talent. I am fearful that Amanda will win because her clothes come the closest to Gretchen's horrid retro style, though Amanda seems a lot nicer. I never get too upset at the finales because my favorite never wins (sometimes they change their style at the last minute so it is their fault) but I will throw things at my TV if sweet, talented Kini doesn't win.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

Loved Amanda's. The length, the shape, the colors-- totally me. Would buy that in a heartbeat if I could figure out how to wear a bra with it. Thought her take on Fade's was much better than judges did.  If I were still 22 I might wear that.

Sean's is certainly not my style, mostly just because that collar and sleeve length don't suit me-- though I would buy the skirt and wear it with a sleeveless black turtleneck, even though that would probably instantly make it less chic! But totally appreciate why the judges (and Tim, and the other designers) loved it. So interesting that the most innovative element-- the skirt-- was not part of his original design. He came up with it after Tim's critique, and then had to rework it last-minute because of fit issues. And yet the finished skirt felt both totally purposeful and perfectly effortless. I think the all-over white color was absolutely essential to his vision-- gave it an origami vibe that would have been lost in any other color. Sean's outfit was both conceptual and wearable, which I think is exactly what they were looking for in this challenge. Also-- I actually liked the pink fringe extravaganza. No, of course I wouldn't wear it, I don't know anyone who would wear it, but how else are you supposed to re-imagine a bubble gum kid's romper? You either do a boring dress and tack some of the original fabric on as an accent (TM Char), or you try to capture the spirit of the original. And I think he really did.

Puzzled by Kini's. The coat was beautifully made but not terribly unique, the skirt was horrible, and this is the second time he's sent out a coat that totally lost its lines because of the silhouette beneath it (American Girl challenge). This time he didn't even bother trying to put the coat on the model (but draping it like a cape still ended up creating a strange look through the shoulders). I feel like his red dress was vastly over-praised in order to justify moving him on-- which his body of work definitely deserves, so I can't complain.

Don't quite understand why both Char and Emily weren't eliminated.

Char.... fuschia satin for streetwear? Kini probably could have turned it into a fabulous gown and spun a charming story about a socialite stumbling home from the after-party of last night's Gala; Amanda could have produced a cute boho dress by "making her own textile", incorporating stripes or color blocks of the reverse side of the fabric. But I can't really picture any New Yorker who isn't involved with Real Housewives franchise wearing Char's "streetwear". If I saw Char's girl walking down a Manhattan street, I'd assume she was a tourist who overpaid for that outfit at Macy's in the hopes of looking like a Real New Yorker. Bless.

Emily's hoodie (which I'd also totally buy), and the jumpsuit/catsuit/whatever underneath it, I thought were both fine, but (like Kini's) unremarkable. Her streetwear was not, in my opinion, the worst, and I'm puzzled as to why she was the only one eliminated.

Regarding the Korina drama-- she's both a real person and a tv character, and I don't think I, as a viewer, know enough to judge where the two separate. But to offer another perspective to those who regard her walk-off as an "FU" to production: I would strongly suspect production (and Korina) knew full well that was going to happen before filming. 

Her being paired with Char may or may not have been a coincidence. It was definitely odd that Alexander was not among the returnees, given how recently he was eliminated and the fact that he was obviously available. My understanding is that eliminated designers continue to be housed on site, and are likely (and cruelly!) expected to tag along on Mood visits and other field trips as decoys. I strongly suspect that Korina had already decided-- and shared with production-- that she was not willing/able to participate in this challenge, and that what we saw was more or less staged to fulfill her contractual obligations, provide drama, and perhaps (in her mind, at least) allow her to explain why she would not participate.  I'd guess Alexander was probably waiting in the next room the whole time.

Edited by klarsonovsky
  • Love 7

Although I didn't like Amanda 's color choices this episode or that weird gray fabric, I liked this week's street dress she made a lot despite that, and overall I have really adored her designs this season. They are fun and cool and stylish. I barely remember what she did her first season, but this season I definitely think she had the most signature look of any of the designers. Kini's clothes are gorgeous and elegant, but Amanda 's clothes make me smile. I would absolutely buy her designs.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 1

No problem with walking either but it didn't have to be shown. She should have been given a break on that one.

However, it would be really great if PR featured my designers like Kini, Robert and Koto. Now, that would be a real competition worthy of the air time. And bring back real designer judges like MK, DVF etc...

Yeah, that judge seemed to talk a mile a minute very authoritatively and I still don't know what she said.

• Love 1

It can't be said enough that Korina is an asshole.

Such an asshole.

With that said, I can't blame her for not wanting to help when she had just been eliminated so recently. As mentioned upthread, Josh Mckinley did the same thing during All-Stars when his BFF Anthony Ryan needed another designer's help. I felt bad for him then and completely understood why he didn't feel he could help another designer win at that moment, even a friend.

I would have felt similarly about Korina except that she said "especially how I feel about what happened last time," as if Char personally sent her home.

Of course, the fact that I detest her presence on my show means that she will be back for another season. It's always the way.

Every time they showed her talking about how she couldn't care less about the re-make and knew she should spend more time on it but couldn't be bothered with it because she was so focused on her streetwear outfit... I kept thinking, yep, that's going to bite you in the ass, Emily.

ITA. Also, the fact that she had this hoodie in her mind and decided to bust it out during this challenge, instead of using New York actual streetwear as the jumping-off point for her inspiration, also bit her in the ass. The hoodie just wasn't nearly as cute as the way she originally described it, and yeah I definitely got a pajamas vibe right away from the outfit although I loved the top and the creepy face.

• Love 1

I felt bad for Sean getting stuck with that pink monstrosity. There really wasn't much he could do with it, given how small it was and how ugly that Pepto Bismol Barbie pink was. I think he made the best of it by embracing the insanity of it and going over-the-top with it.

One of the other designers commented that "Sandyha's fingerprints are all over that" or something to that effect, and holy shit were they ever. Though I have the feeling that if Sandyha had shown it and not Sean, the judges would've fallen over themselves praising it.

Sandyha looked great and I thought it was cute how she thanked Sean for picking her look. As they say in the South ... bless her heart.

Add me to the chorus of those who cannot figure out WTF everyone saw in Sean's strange, unflattering, cult-chic look.

Char is officially filed in the Wendy Pepper Undeserving Finalist category. I have the sinking feeling that every single Tim Gunn save is going to be shepherded to the finals, and that gives me the sads and the mads.

Edited by WicketyWack
  • Love 3

So Tim's Save made it to the finals again. I'm shocked! I thought there was a chance that I might start liking her stuff towards the end like Justin last year but it doesn't look like it. Wasn't paying attention for the first three quarters of the show but I remember remarking to my girlfriend that I hoped there wasn't peplum or fabric shooting out of the side or middle of Char's outfit. And lo and behold there it was! Again! And the judges didn't dock her for it. Again! Hey Nina I've seen this fabric explosion on Char's stuff much more than the southwestern thing with Korina. What the hell. Well, the plucky underdog Rocky story narrative must prevail against all odds.

• Love 3

Well I saw someone in a long maxi in soho last Saturday. Just saying. They sell them at of on spring street and you do see them, last week was unseasonably warm and people were out in summery things.

Sure. Just not that ambulatory sleeping bag Amanda made.

• Love 7

I guess I'm one of the few people who liked Sean's white outfit.  It wasn't perfect, but I definitely think it was the best thing he's done all season and probably the best thing anyone's done all season.  I know someone who would wear that, she is one of the most chic people I know.  I would have edited a few things, but overall I felt like it was the first time that I knew who Sean was designing for and it was someone interesting, not someone boring.

Speaking of boring, everything Kini did this week was complete garbage.  I hated that sleeve the first time he did it.  Didn't he make like this exact same dress before?  I liked Amanda's crazy maxi dress thing.  But her getting through to the end is the only thing I wouldn't have predicted going in.  I felt sure Char would make it thanks to the Tim Gunn FastPass To Fashion Week.  Of course Kini and Sean were getting through.  Of course Emily would be eliminated.  (The editors were really giving it to her with that "I don't really care about this do-over..." stuff even though every single designer pretty much said the same thing, and it showed in all their pointless and terrible do-over designs.) 

Now for the Kimber Argues section of our program

I'm glad the Korinna thing was short.  It was interesting that all the remaining designers seemed to feel so much lighter in spirit with her gone.  Although sometimes I blame editing for how people are portrayed,  this time it seemed the editors didn't have to do much to make her the villian.

Unless....the "lighter in spirit" perception was editing.  Yes, Kini said it, but he might have said it, for example, after she left the workroom.  Anyway it's easy to make it appear someone is dragging down the mood--they laid on the MUSIC OF DOOM when she came in pretty thick, and since they never show any of the fun workroom moments anymore, they can easily add some, instant light-hearted fun now that The Evil One has gone!

An all white outfit as street wear? After 10 minutes on the street, it would be un-white.

Since it was based on a man wearing all white in actual fact, it seems this is not true.

Karma will find Korina. 

I hope so.

I wonder how much the other eliminated designers are sick of hearing about how Korina's elimination was the worst thing that ever happened in the history of the world, according to her.

I wonder if they've ever heard that at all.  She certainly didn't say it in this episode.

And while editing can be strong, it can't make things up.  As someone quoted before, editing isn't Pixar, it can't make you do things you haven't done.  Production needed an event from her to milk for drama.  There is no way one wayward look was going to support the "Korina is a black hole of a personality" narrative, and I think anyone who feels that way gives editing way too much credit.  They aren't actually magic elves.  A lot of people have called out editing for the Amanda vs. Char/Korina situation as well, and that was actually supported by a TH by Korina.  No matter what editing may have wanted they can't have it unless Korina gives it to them, which she did.  And they were able to support a good portion of the episode to "Korina is a black hole of a personality and no one likes her" based on what she gave them.

I think Char would have been fine, I don't think it would have been fun, but I think she would have done what she could to get to fashion week.  Because she is a grown up, and sometimes grown ups have to suck it up for the greater good.  Char would suck it up to get to fashion week, and Korina could have sucked it up to help repair her own reputation.  A wayward look, without a bitchy TH from Korina is nothing to build an episode around, whatever narrative they wanted to build for Korina would require more than an accidental look.  She gave them that.  And while it would have been painful for Korina, it would have been best for her to help bandage and repair her reputation.  Because she had to know that no matter what, they were using her blowup from being eliminated and that was not going to cast her in a positive light, she had a chance to repair that.

To me, she gave in to her worst impluses right there on camera and played directly into the producers hands.  And she didn't have to.

Considering that there are 500+ posts on how horrible she is based mostly on absolutely standard talking-head critiques and a few of those wayward looks, I must disagree.  Even now people are talking about her "storming out" when she actually asked to leave, was given permission to, and walked out like any human being would, except with an ominous horror-movie handheld camera hovering behind her.  I also wonder if there was any way for her to realize she was going to get the most negative edit I've ever seen on reality TV (admittedly I don't watch Dance Moms or Real Housewives etc) and that she was now obliged to be Gandhi or else she deserves all the hate anyone can spit in her face, when at the same time it is steadfastly maintained that the editors don't really do anything but present the truth.

• Love 5

Considering that there are 500+ posts on how horrible she is based mostly on absolutely standard talking-head critiques and a few of those wayward looks, I must disagree.  Even now people are talking about her "storming out" when she actually asked to leave, was given permission to, and walked out like any human being would, except with an ominous horror-movie handheld camera hovering behind her.  I also wonder if there was any way for her to realize she was going to get the most negative edit I've ever seen on reality TV (admittedly I don't watch Dance Moms or Real Housewives etc) and that she was now obliged to be Gandhi or else she deserves all the hate anyone can spit in her face, when at the same time it is steadfastly maintained that the editors don't really do anything but present the truth.

I can agree that the Korina/Char vs. Amanda thing was very suspect, and was mostly created out of thin air and Amanda's TH and her conversation with Fade.  But I think thats as far as editing can go, and I will say that a lot of people in this forum questioned the editing behind that.  So I don't think people are so easily led by editing and TH.

I think the references to her "storming out" are based on the attitude she had when she was in the room before being asked to leave.  Just because you've been asked to leave doesn't mean you can't storm out, or that you can't leave a room angrily.  At least not as far as I've seen.

I don't think a rational human being who had a melt down of her caliber two days ago, towards the end of a pretty uneventful season wouldn't realize that their anger episode wouldn't be featured on PR.  I think it would have been naive of her to think that the producers weren't going to use that.  If she has ever seen PR, she should have known better.  Even in the lifetime years, a blow up like that is going to be a featured moment.  She shouldn't have been any more shocked than Sandro or Ken to see their bad behavior shown on screen.  She made the decision to be on a reality show, and in reality, and on reality shows people are going to judge your behavior, good or bad.  She had a rare opportunity to actually mitigate the damages, a lot of people don't get that opportunity.  You have a blow up like that at work, you are kindly shown the door and asked never to return, while everyone inside talks about you being insane.  And I don't think its reasonable to call helping Char for a day the equivalent of being Gandhi.  I think people put up with way worse every day, and for periods much longer than a day.  Deserving people get passed up for a promotion only to see it handed to some jackass they hate, and they have to smile and bear working for that person who probably knows less than them for years.  And thats in almost every industry, so it can be done, and its not superhuman to be disappointed, frustrated and even infuriated and to be able to hold it together.

And saying its just an unfair edit is not really fair either.  She said/did all of these things.  Maybe at the reunion we'll hear that Samantha or Hernan had a big blow up upon getting eliminated, and it was edited out, but I doubt it.  The producers seem to have shown any sort of blow up or workroom drama.  To me that seems very fair, everyones worst moments are shown.  If it was only Korina, I may question it.  But they didn't hide the Sandaya/Carrie/Hernan drama, they didn't hide the Korina/Sandaya drama, they really tried to highlight the Char/Korina vs. Amanda drama.  the only reason Korina's is any worse than anyone elses is because she gave them so much to work with.  If you take her TH out of the equation, there is still plenty about Korina to paint her in a negative light, IMO.  Things that she has done all on her own.

• Love 7

No winner for this challenge, either. On the very rare one or two other occasions in PR history when no one in the challenge merited a win, the judges made a big deal out of pointing it out. This time they just glossed it over. This season's crop of designers has just been so frigging baaaad.

• Love 3

During the judges remarks, I had the strong impression they were mouthing the lines they had been given by production; it was almost as if they were in on the joke. Because the clothes were horrible. This season has GOT to be rigged.

I understand that Sean's white look took skill to construct, but I was underwhelmed by the design. Nina said it was the best thing she'd seen on PR.  WTF? And the pink flamingo country music star outfit?

I understand Amanda's look was very "her," and required skill to construct, but it bordered on Romper Room jumper.

Char's work was laughable. The purple skirt looked like a kindergarten craft project. Why the hell didn't they send her home? And she's no saint. She behaved like a mean girl a couple episodes back.

How is a designer going to become successful if his favorite fabric is denim? Kini's look was atrocious - as Posen said, learn to edit yourself.

I thought Emily's look was very creative and well-done. Not my cup of tea, but she deserved to stay more than Char.

And production was trying to humiliate Korrina. They knew she was bordering on hysteria and tried to escalate it. I'm glad she refused to go along with it. (Although she behaved horribly in the previous episode.)

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5

This was a stupid episode in a stupid season. The reworked second design didn't have to coordinate with the street design, so it was just an excuse to bring back the aufed designers and the ensuing drama. The Char, Korina, Alexander thing was an obvious setup. The returnees got to see their outfit, the one that got them eliminated, chopped up by someone who was still in the running. Salt in the wound. Then the judges didn't consider the two designs in the pair evenly; they focused on the design they liked better of the two. It looked as if the winners had been decided and then a lame activity was thought up to make it all happen. 

• Love 7

Re: Kini and the distrastrous denim skirt...

He listened to Tim. Shouldn't have. I did not like the top much, it was a little secretary to me, but if he had kept the skirt MORE simple, the model could have actually worn the wax denim trench instead of using it as a cape. I loved the trench coat; it wasn't the most original thing we've ever seen, but then what HAVE we seen that's uber original this season, except for Amanda's esthetic, to which she's been pretty true, and Sean's white thing in this episode.

I don't like Sean, you all know that, but I do concede the white dress was different from anything else he's done. I thought it had, however, a couple of details similar to the maxi dress Amanda made (odd shapes), and also the shoulder/armpit cutouts that were exact replicas of the same thing from Kini's American Girl challenge dress. I mean, he started using fringe after Amanda was successful with it and has continued to use it to the point where everyone is now calling fringe HIS esthetic. I don't think he's as talented as he and the judges think he is... I keep flashing back to that Mary Poppins thing he designed in the first episode. He didn't begin to have success until he glommed onto Amanda's fringe-y thing and won the challenge. All of which probably means he'll win. Honestly, of the FOUR of them, Char included, he would be my last pick for the win.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1
Oh, but see.... that's the THING! It starts out ALL WHITE, but as you walk down the street a taxi drives by and swerves into a mud puddle and splatters you and suddenly you have this BROWN COLOR splayed all over your outfit, and then it's NOT WHITE anymore and...and.... oh wait... :(

Plenty of people in NYC wear white with little trouble. It's "streetwear," not "lie down in the street-wear."

That said, I thought that shit was the ugliest outfit I possibly have ever seen in this show. Why all the asymmetrical hanging bits? Too much going on and also just horrid.

Nobody in NYC would wear hat. But nobody. She does not deserve to go to fashion week. At all. Even her answer sucked.

Oh, please--it's not like NY is devoid of people who are "unfashionable." Sure, it's an epicenter of fashion but that's only one facet involving a tiny subset of its inhabitants. It's also home to all sorts of people with all sorts of styles, good, bad, and otherwise. There are millions of people (which makes it impossible to say that "nobody…but nobody" would do any one thing) in that city, and not even close to all of them care about clothing, much less care about couture--that's why there are Old Navys and Forever 21s in Manhattan as well as anywhere else. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7

He listened to Tim. Shouldn't have.

I'll grant that Tim Gunn said to make Kini's skirt less simple, but did he really say to put a big ruffle around the hem?  He may have had something less intrusive in mind. Surely there was something between a straight skirt and a ruffled hem that could have been done in the same amount of time (especially given Kini's skills). 

There are people who can wear white and stay pristine throughout the day.  I'm not one of them. The first time I eat or drink something, whatever is in my hand will leap to the white as if a magnet was in the fabric.  And it is always something that stains.  I never wear white if I have any choice at all because I know it will end up quickly spotted.  I don't have a problem with Sean's outfit but I don't see it being all that brilliant.  But that's fashion.  Most of the stuff I wear, I don't think any of the judges would be caught dead in.

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 6

Less deserving than Gretchen (season 8)? Her win truly pissed me off...like when Taylor Hicks won American Idol.

Don't forget Anya. Gretchen was a horrible designer and person, but at least she knew how to operate a sewing machine.

• Love 4

Oh I meant to say.  I think in this case it's not Tim Gunn's fault at all that Kini screwed up.  He said the clothes Kini had made were basic and you could buy them anywhere (true.)  He said he needed to do something to distinguish his pieces from something you can buy in a mall.  And as he left, he said, "think first, then work!" which I took to mean, "don't just throw sewing at this problem!"  But that's just what Kini did--add a bunch of stuff, rather than redesign.  Of course they don't have much time, but I'm sure there's something better he could have done than those ruffles etc.  And isn't he Kini the sewing speed demon?

• Love 7

I wouldn't say Korina "stormed off" but she definitely "stomped off." It sure took her a long time to get out of sight too.

Someone else commented on how they don't show fun times anymore - they made a point of showing the designers dancing out of the room both nights - something between Soul Train and a Conga line.

• Love 4

I wouldn't say Korina "stormed off" but she definitely "stomped off." It sure took her a long time to get out of sight too.

Someone else commented on how they don't show fun times anymore - they made a point of showing the designers dancing out of the room both nights - something between Soul Train and a Conga line.

I was thinking the same thing, to the point that I wondered if they had her storm/stomp/whatever off several times so they could show so much of it. By the time she finally left I was thinking "how long is that hallway???"

• Love 2

I don't think Tim was "to blame" for Kini's denim ruffle-y skirtstravaganza. Tim just said to be thoughtful and make it work and Kini went bananas with his ruffle machine of ruffleness.

But he probably should have just NOT listened to him and left it all alone. The judges seemed to really like the trench coat, but it didn't give the full effect because it wouldn't fit properly over that skirt? Ergo, the model had to wear it as a cape, and we know how much the judges LOVE CAPES, unless you're Helen, of course.

I have plenty of things for which to blame Tim (I'm looking at you, Under the Gunn) without blaming Kini's whackadoodle skirt on him, too!

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 4

Charketa is probably my favorite designer this season - as a human being - but I don't think she's that great a designer and probably should not be part of Fashion Week.  However, if it gets up Korina's nose, I'm all for it.  

I will never, ever understand some of the judging this season.  It was almost like this whole season was a joke on the viewer.  I don't get Sean at all and that white thing was odd.  Like someone up-thread, my first thought was "space age nurse".  Odd shape, impractical and something that would look good on...almost no one.  And yet the judges are stunned.  Ok.  

There have been some really sad seasons of PR (looking at Gretchan's win), but this one took the cake.  Compare the finished designs to the first few seasons of PR (the Bravo years) and it's as plain as day.  

I hope for an Amanda win (in spite of the wretched sack the judges gushed over), but expect that it will be between Sean and Kini with Kini winning.  He, at least, sews well.  

• Love 3

I will never, ever understand some of the judging this season.  It was almost like this whole season was a joke on the viewer.  I don't get Sean at all and that white thing was odd.  Like someone up-thread, my first thought was "space age nurse".  Odd shape, impractical and something that would look good on...almost no one.  And yet the judges are stunned.  Ok.  

Not only that, it was the best thing they've ever seen on the show.  Really?

• Love 5

...the nonevent of Korina's walking out

Oh, I think it was absolutely an event; Korina made it one, with her almost comically exaggerated frown, the crossed arms, the palpable hostility she exuded, and the furious staccato of her heels as she fumed her way off the set.

They aren't actually magic elves.

This should be on a t-shirt.

• Love 2

Now that really ground my gears (tm family guy), because never has such a nonsensical comment been made.  I remember the cage dress for the Pharrell video, I remember the hat dress by Kate/Leyana, and those are just two off the top of my head.  And thats not including Seth Aaron, because I only caught his stuff on PR: All Stars.  But to me, thats in the lower middle of everything we've seen on PR, not the best, not even in the top 10!  

And I like Nina, but she was wrong there.

• Love 7
Now that really ground my gears (tm family guy), because never has such a nonsensical comment been made.

You mean except for the time Tim said Alexander was one of the most talented designers to ever appear on this show.

how else are you supposed to re-imagine a bubble gum kid's romper? You either do a boring dress and tack some of the original fabric on as an accent (TM Char), or you try to capture the spirit of the original. And I think he really did.

....or option C, make a fabulous (or at least a interesting) dress with pink accents. Sean did have other options besides that fringe thing. He is very lucky the other designer's second garments sucked as bad as his did. (excluding kini from that generalization since that red gown was to die for and I loved what he did with the hem)

• Love 5

And this is why they should use the 90-minute format thoughtfully! Show me why you think this thing is so fucking fabulous, man! Because best ever on 632 years of this show? I mean, we all have different tastes and all, but my first thought was "Better than Seth Aaron?! Bah!" And WHY--show me why!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 11

I really thought Amanda borrowed Korrina's southwest Native American aesthetic and designed a teepee you could wear so you wouldn't have to carry it around.  That was one of the ugliest, most unflattering designs ever to walk the runway.  Just terrible.

• Love 5

Something seems fishy to me. Usually when they do the whole "bring back eliminated designers to help the remaining designers," it's the 5 (or however many) most recent designers. Maybe not 100% of the time, but usually it would at least be the last few most recent, who are the most memorable to viewers and went further in the competition than earlier designers. So, why was Alexander only brought in as a supposedly unexpected last minute replacement for Korina, when he was just eliminated 2 weeks ago, and has been fan favorite every week as well? That makes me think that the Korina thing might have even been staged.  Otherwise, Alexander would've been there as an option already, instead of Mitchell or Samantha who were eliminated sooner and barely memorable at this point.  I would find the whole "last minute replacement" thing more believable if they'd already had Alexander there, and then had to unexpectedly bring back Samantha or some other earlier eliminated designer due to Korina leaving.  I think they knew all along that Korina wouldn't actually do the challenge with Char, and they had Alexander on standby.  I guess I am just too cynical to watch reality shows now.

Also, I think Emily was chosen to leave this week regardless of what she did.  She was too nice, too normal and non-dramatic to make it to the end. I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did.  I could tell every week that there was no way for them to create a real "storyline" for her -- she didn't have a major sob story, or any particular angle they could use.  She didn't represent any particular group, clash with the other designers, or polarize viewers. Personally I liked her but she didn't make "good TV" so I am totally un-shocked that she was sent home in favor of Char, even though Char is a lesser designer IMO.  

• Love 9

You mean except for the time Tim said Alexander was one of the most talented designers to ever appear on this show.

That too, was ridiculous.  Did he say it when Alexander was eliminated, or when he was giving him a harsh critique.  I remember vaguely giving Tim a pass on that because it sort of sounded like the sort of thing people like to say to make people feel better about something.  

• Love 1

So, why was Alexander only brought in as a supposedly unexpected last minute replacement for Korina, when he was just eliminated 2 weeks ago, and has been fan favorite every week as well?

My bet would be that they always have an extra person (maybe two) in case someone else either refuses to play or has an accident/illness or other reason for not being able to participate. That just makes good sense to have a spare person (or two) on call in case of emergencies.

Tim said Alexander was one of the most talented designers to ever appear on this show.

Tim needs new glasses.