Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E12: Fashion Week: Who's In & Who's Out

• Start Topic

Ugh. Just ugh all over this show.

-- I dont love Korina by any means, but after one day, heck, one week, I'd still be pretty raw about  being eliminated.  MOST contestants on this show are not eliminated in a  one hour challenge, I can think of only one other time it was done.  And sorry, but I'd be super frustrated too if during that one hour challenge,   the contestant who has construction issues was bale to use a mega sewer to help  with the look. 

-- I  think  Sean read Korina wrong.  Her attitude was  way more "I want out of this situation and dont want to be here"  than "I am above all this" And frankly,  its sort of refreshing to see a contestant say "This isn't cool by me, and Id like to be excused from this because its raw and I hope you understand that."   While it isn't as gracious an act as Emily, who really is just   such a good soul,  it WAS as polite as it could be under the circumstances. She said she wanted out, she said why, she explained herself. I wouldn't want to rework  my losing project that I had faith in, against a contestant who I thought had an unfair advantage either.

-- I call out Tim/production actually.  At that point, he would have to know Char picked Korina's  look, and that the two of them would work together.  This was a conversation that could have happened with Korina off camera to explain "Look, you are going to have to work with Char, etc" but clearly that didn't happen. So yeah, again,  if I were Korina, I would feel  put into the crosshairs.

-- NOT EVERYONE  needs to act as graceful or be  amazing in an exit. I think it is important to acknowledge that different people take   rejection differently.   So calling someone out for  not behaving with the grace others muster,  still not relevant to me.  It doesn't mean others dont want it as much for sure, and  Korina's self perceived special snowflake quality doesn't make her better, but no, I wont  deny her the right to feel awful about it and vent. Plenty of other people have vented on this show. 

Other things

-- I  dont understand the  up close looking at the garments bit.  With so many one day challenges. ALL THE CLOTHES   are sewn badly.  (Notable exception: Kini) So  for Zac to always be lifting up skirts and  touching on the models is a very creepy thing. I feel as if this segment was added to let Tim   gripe or throw people under the bus. HE NEVER says "oh, you hated that? I led that contestant down the wrong path (In this case Kini adding  the circular  ruffles  into the bottom of the skirt)  or "Oh, I hated that and told her to remove it, but she kept it and you liked it?"  

-- I miss Kors. He was/is an industry veteran who  gets the BUSINESS of fashion in a way Posen just doesn't. In a way that allowed for looks that  skewed older were still  sometimes ok.   With quips that never landed  about the person or seemed hateful. Petty, yes.  B$tchy,  yes.. but i always got the feeling the only thing Kors was truly offended by was awful fashion.   Garcia and Posen seem truly MEAN by comparison.

-- Awful season overall.   And  I never thought I would say this, but yeah, I  guess I will finish ti up to see who wins, but I never want to watch another  season with Tim.  I'll move  on, or catch All Stars with Joanna Coles  who, in another  thing that I thought Id never say, I am liking more now.  How much this show has fallen. 

Oh well. 

Edited by bibblebop
  • Love 8

Overall comments:  Korina confirmed that she's a wretched person.  I'm glad she decided to walk out.  The rest of the episode was civil and nice.  My opinion of Amanda improved this week, not just because of her comments but because she seems to have dropped some of her pretentiousness.    I was very surprised that for a street wear challenge that some of the designers were looking in shop windows.  That's not streetwear, that's off the rack advertising.

On to the outfits:

Amanda:   I hated her streetwear dress.  The shape reminded me of something Gretchen would have made, a well sewn sac with arm and neck holes.  I hated those fabric textures and colors together, as well.  It looked like it was the re-make outfit from either Korina's cape or Emily's cushion vest from last week.   Her re-make of Fade's rainway dress was good, however.  Sure, the yellow lines were fairly Tron-ish, but she made them a LOT better than they'd been in the original outfit.

Char:  Yeah, looking in windows for a streetwear challenge.  I'm looking at YOU, Char.  That said, her outfit was cute.  Could have been better, but showed some thought and was more original than most anything we've seen her make this year.  I was happy enough with her being safe.  Her re-make outfit was a little black dress with a waist accent from Korina's cape.  Ok, but then again what is she supposed to do with all that crappy looking upholstery tweed.  Ok outfit, again, it's fine she was safe.  I'm also happy she made it to fashion week just to annoy Korina.   Did I admit that publicly?  lol

Emily:   OMG, hated the hoodie jacket.  The little top and leggings set underneath was cute and fun.  I wish she'd have just sent that down the runway.  The re-make outfit killed her, really.  She picked a dress that was nothing special, then let the designer who made it make something out of it that wasn't exactly special either.  Emily wasted time on the ugly arsed hoodie, ignored the re-make, and that's why she went home.  I like her, but I'm happy with the decision.  She made some poor choices this week and it sunk her.

Kini:  LOVE the jacket, but it needed to be over a sleek dress.  It looked great when Heidi put it on over her own dress.  The skirt's flourishes on the bottom were terrible, as was that 1980's ladies' business top.   I kind of blame Tim for not seeing the potential of the jacket and encouraging Kini to ramp things up.  He ended up throwing everything at the outfit.  It was well made, but too much.   The trench was spectacular, though.  His re-make gown shows where Kini shines.  He does sleek glamour very well.  I could see a Lauren Bacall wearing that while walking down a runway with Bogart just as easily as I could see a current film star.   Gorgeous.

Sean:   The white outfit was wonderful.  Tim steered him well.   The design was amazing and the simplicity of the color allowed those design elements to be the star.  Crisp and flattering.  I'm not sure that it's an actual "streetwear" outfit.  I'd be wrinkled with dirt marks after one walk through the city or a ride in a cab.   I'm happy with this being the winning look, though.   The coral cowboy look wasn't my favorite thing ever to walk down the runway, but it didn't offend me or anything.  Sean was right, it's suitable for a trust fund girl to wear to Coachella or something.   Maybe it'd be better to mix those pieces up with other items of a different color.  I'm not sure.

Overall, a good episode once Korina flounced out of the building.

WHOA. Why wasn't Alexander Fan Favorite? Disappointing, and yet he ended up being Char's assistant. I laughed out loud when Tim brought him in as Korina's replacement.

Alexander looked like Tim got him out of bed to come participate!

I was kind of hoping Korina would stay so Char could have her gluing buttons onto a piece of fabric, that she would never actually use, in the corner somewhere. Give her a mannequin to complain to and I think she'd be all set.  

It felt like a totally different show with her gone though. So much lighter and fun. Sandhya and Sean laughing about him picking/getting stuck with her outfit right after the drama with Korina was hilarious. I even laughed when they walked into the workroom on the second day and saw the losing pieces and Amanda said something like 'we walk in and see 5 big losers.' Korina was so bad she made Amanda look good.

I liked Kini's jacket and Char's street look. I don't understand what was so great about Sean's street look but I really like him so I guess I'm glad the judges loved it.

Emily is full of class.

• Love 6

I didn't really love many of the looks- Kini's coat was terrific, but the outfit underneath was way too ornate. The red dress did need some editing at the hem- why will designers make dresses that trail on the floor? They're impossible to walk in. 

As far as Korina goes.... they always have returned designers help. I can't think of a season where they haven't done it. Same thing with Top Chef. I agree that it was only a couple of days, but Char was the one who was massively insulted on national television, and she had the grace to applaud when Tim announced that Korina would be working with her- and she can't have liked the idea, and already had a plan in place for talking with Korina and moving on- which I'm sure Korina would like even less.

Really, I wouldn't buy from Korina. I don't know who her customers are, but it's a competition. Show some sportsmanship. You weren't owed anything.

• Love 7

I wonder how they determined which five losing outfits/designers would be back. It wasn't the five most recent, because then Alexander would have been there from the start.

Side note: I thought Sandhya looked really pretty.

• Love 5

Ugh. Just ugh all over this show.

-- I dont love Korina by any means, but after one day, heck, one week, I'd still be pretty raw about  being eliminated.  MOST contestants on this show are not eliminated in a  one hour challenge, I can think of only one other time it was done.  And sorry, but I'd be super frustrated too if during that one hour challenge,   the contestant who has construction issues was bale to use a mega sewer to help  with the look. 

-- I  think  Sean read Korina wrong.  Her attitude was  way more "I want out of this situation and dont want to be here"  than "I am above all this" And frankly,  its sort of refreshing to see a contestant say "This isn't cool by me, and Id like to be excused from this because its raw and I hope you understand that."   While it isn't as gracious an act as Emily, who really is just   such a good soul,  it WAS as polite as it could be under the circumstances. She said she wanted out, she said why, she explained herself. I wouldn't want to rework  my losing project that I had faith in, against a contestant who I thought had an unfair advantage either.

-- I call out Tim/production actually.  At that point, he would have to know Char picked Korina's  look, and that the two of them would work together.  This was a conversation that could have happened with Korina off camera to explain "Look, you are going to have to work with Char, etc" but clearly that didn't happen. So yeah, again,  if I were Korina, I would feel  put into the crosshairs.

-- NOT EVERYONE  needs to act as graceful or be  amazing in an exit. I think it is important to acknowledge that different people take   rejection differently.   So calling someone out for  not behaving with the grace others muster,  still not relevant to me.  It doesn't mean others dont want it as much for sure, and  Korina's self perceived special snowflake quality doesn't make her better, but no, I wont  deny her the right to feel awful about it and vent. Plenty of other people have vented on this show. 

Other things

-- I  dont understand the  up close looking at the garments bit.  With so many one day challenges. ALL THE CLOTHES   are sewn badly.  (Notable exception: Kini) So  for Zac to always be lifting up skirts and  touching on the models is a very creepy thing. I feel as if this segment was added to let Tim   gripe or throw people under the bus. HE NEVER says "oh, you hated that? I led that contestant down the wrong path (In this case Kini adding  the circular  ruffles  into the bottom of the skirt)  or "Oh, I hated that and told her to remove it, but she kept it and you liked it?"  

-- I miss Kors. He was/is an industry veteran who  gets the BUSINESS of fashion in a way Posen just doesn't. In a way that allowed for looks that  skewed older were still  sometimes ok.   With quips that never landed  about the person or seemed hateful. Petty, yes.  B$tchy,  yes.. but i always got the feeling the only thing Kors was truly offended by was awful fashion.   Garcia and Posen seem truly MEAN by comparison.

-- Awful season overall.   And  I never thought I would say this, but yeah, I  guess I will finish ti up to see who wins, but I never want to watch another  season with Tim.  I'll move  on, or catch All Stars with Joanna Coles  who, in another  thing that I thought Id never say, I am liking more now.  How much this show has fallen. 

Oh well. 

Well said. I think having to redo eliminated designs by other designers and having those designers help,  was beyond mean.

How about having the  top 5 redo their worst design that put them at the bottom 3 at some point on the show??

I completely understood why Corina was pissed, especially since she had less time to get over her elimination than the other eliminated designers.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 2

I haven't understood the judges' likes/dislikes all season so I will assume I just don't know anything about fashion.  Sean's wasn't "horrible"...I guess??  But it wasn't anything to cause the multiple orgasms experienced by the judges. I thought Kini's trench deserved a lot more praise.  Even though his skirt was a bit too much, it was more wearable than the saggy baggy hipster cocoon Amanda sent down or Sean's "Space Waitress 3000" outfit.

Char is only there b/c of Tim Gunn Save.  Can't have one of the show runners look foolish for wasting the second chance pass can we?  Char seems like a fun and cool person, but she is so out of her league among the finalists.  I wish her well, but I don't think we'll see much of her in stores or in magazines.

Korina was a brat but she has sealed her spot on the next edition of All Stars because she brings the drama!  The producers "know" what's best for the viewers. All we want to see on Runway is hijinks and cat fights and controversy, right?  It's not like we watch this show for FASHION or DESIGN.

• Love 7
I wished she hadn't made a hoodie, and I laughed when, in one TH, she was like "I've been waiting to make a hoodie and now I can!"  I feel like she has made a few hoodies this season!  I really didn't like either of her looks.  Her street style looked way pajama to me, although I loved the print in the front of the womans face.

Wasn't Emily actually wearing her just made hoodie in her talking heads?  I kept get distracted because it looked like she was wearing what she was sewing in the in between scenes.  Which telegraphed to me that she was the one going home.  Like she was using her TH as a marketing opportunity.

I really liked the hoodie but why are the designers insisting on these 'matchy matchy' looks?  Emily's top and leggings were in the same fabric.  Sean's shorts and top (and skirt and top) were in the same fabric.  Amanda's pink cigarette pants and top last week.  When you go with a bold fabric and are making separates, why do a top-to-bottom look?  I wasn't crazy about Char's outfit but at least she didn't make her bandeau top out of the same shocking pink fabric as her skirt.  It just seems lazy to me.

• Love 3

This season had too many contestants, too many bland and forgettable designers.

I have no recollection of ever having seen Emily's helper, and even after spending half of last night's show thinking "who's that? She was on this show this season?  Really?" I can't recall her name this morning.

Edited by Rancide
  • Love 2

I have no recollection of ever having seen Emily's helper, and even after spending half of last night's show thinking "who's that? She was on this show this season? Really?" I can't recall her name this morning.

Agreed. Also too many "street style" designers for my taste. I thought that narrowed what we were destined to see across the season to a point that we had no real variety (or credible attempts when they were forced to do something outside of their comfort zones).

Bland girl lost for that blue dress for exactly that reason. She didn't "do" red carpet, so she didn't really try.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

Emily did make a classy exit, but I don't see how that confirms she's such a good person, or made the classiest exit ever. I don't think we can compare her exit to Korina's because Korina's was so ridiculous, anyone else's would seem super classy in comparison.

Also, I'm fine with Emily leaving because she said, "I've been waiting all season to make this giant hoodie and now I can!" To me, that meant she wasn't even paying attention to things to be inspired by on the streets of New York, but rather did something she had been wanting to do all along; ergo, for me, in that moment, she failed the challenge. Also, it was a huge mistake to do NOTHING on the 2nd look; did she even touch it? I thought she just let Samantha make the thing... okay, maybe she chose the fabric for the skirt.

As I mentioned, I haven't looked at all of the finale collections on TLo, so I don't know what Char's looked like. I'm more okay than I thought I would be that's she's going to fashion week. I don't think she'll win (at least I hope not) so it's okay that she got to make a collection.

OMG, I had no idea they have less than a month!!! I know the days are long gone when they would have 4 to 6 months for their collections, but 10 looks in less than a month? They might as well still be on the show, ffs.

I'm hoping for a Kini win, I guess, but I'd be okay with Amanda, also. I'll be disappointed if Sean wins, so he probably will. Not that we'll ever hear anything from him again after this unless he does All Stars, so I guess it really doesn't matter...

ETA: I bounced over to Tom and Lorenzo and reviewed the collections of the final four. Based on THAT, I'm heavily in favour of Amanda, although I would not be upset with a Kini win because he's talented and I like him so much.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

Amanda's dress turned out so much better than I thought it would. When they showed her picking that yellow fabric in Mood, I thought for sure it would be a disaster. That is the ugliest, dingiest yellow I've ever seen. On the other hand, Sean's green fabric was much prettier in the store than it was in the work room.

I think Emily got exactly what she needed out of the competition. She never struck me as someone who wants be a huge name, take the fashion world by storm, and produce amazing fashion-forward collections season after season. She seemed like someone who has a small business making what she likes and she wants to grow that and build her clientele. I think she will get that from her experience on this show. She got respectably far in the competition, she got her name out there in a good way, she made some friends, and she did get to go to Fashion Week and her collection was seen, although not on the show. One of the models in her decoy collection had exposed nipples, which didn't seem like an Emily thing to do, but whatever.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 3

I completely understood why Corina was pissed, especially since she had less time to get over her elimination than the other eliminated designers.

WADR, I disagree. Korina knew what she was getting into when she was selected for Project Runway. Presumably, she's seen all the prior seasons and knows that absolutely anything goes when it comes to producer shenanigans and the levels they'll stoop to for ratings and drama. She surely had to sign a release acknowledging all this. Like Amanda said, it sucks to get eliminated, but it didn't suck any worse for Korina than it did for anyone else. It blows, but it's a risk that you take when you go on the show. So I have zero sympathy for her. She was whiny, bitter, immature, and childish, and made herself look even worse than she did in the last episode, and I didn't think that was possible.

I am glad that she and Char working together was not presented as just a huge coincidence, and that Char is the one who made that happen by choosing Korina's losing look. Evidently the producers still have a shred of respect for the viewers' intelligence.

Totally did not get the love for Sean's street look. I thought it was very plain and ho-hum. I liked Char's street look better than anything else she's done all season. It seems like when she's focused and knows what she wants to do, she can deliver. I really liked that skirt (and yeah, she should have lost the pocket), and the print she chose to go with it was nice too. Emily did herself in by not paying attention to the re-do look. She was smart to pick Samantha's look, because it was a nice dress, but just too plain. So there was a good framework to start with, unlike the pink nightmare of Sandhya's. Emily had good ideas about what to do with her re-do look, but became inexplicably enamored with her hoodie. 

• Love 7

Good lord. I missed the first half hour last night and just now watched it. Korinna better grow the heck up and learn to get over disappointments quickly if she ever expects to be successful at...anything. I don't care if there was only a lunch break between her getting eliminated and being brought back to help Char. Any designer who isn't looking at this show as one long job interview is really missing a great opportunity, and I can't imagine anyone choosing to work with Korinna, her sense of entitlement, and her inability to quickly pull herself together and get on with her assignment. The real world won't wait for her to get a grip.

Didn't Emily make hoodies -- or garments with hoods -- several times throughout the season? Good for her for behaving like a gracious adult throughout the competition (at least as far as I recall.) I think Char should have been eliminated along with her, leaving just a top three -- which is what they'll probably do next week anyway. Actually between the two, I'd have given Emily another shot rather than Char; while Emily hasn't done anything noteworthy, I think her designs have still been better than Char's parade of blah-ness.

I really liked the hoodie but why are the designers insisting on these 'matchy matchy' looks?  Emily's top and leggings were in the same fabric.  Sean's shorts and top (and skirt and top) were in the same fabric.

Not only did I not get the fuss over Sean's white...whatever the heck that was, but I didn't understand why he ultimately chose to go entirely pink with his remake of Sandhya's look. I know Tim didn't like the white, but surely there was some happy medium. The Pepto Cowgirl look was awful. In contrast, Kini's gown and coat were gorgeous (what was under the coat, not so much!), and I even liked Amanda's looks. I'd love for Kini to win and I'm surprising myself in saying that I wouldn't mind an Amanda win (she's calmed the heck down -- or her edit has changed -- and she's grown on me.) Something tells me they're going for a Sean win, and he really hasn't impressed me.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 4

I don't quite understand these designers..Tim's instructions were to take inspiration from the fashions on the street. They then proceeded to take photos of almost anything except what the people (except for a couple of exceptions)...the architecture, the graffiti, sculpture.   Even in my hometown, not known for fashion, you can see people with striking personal styles that, if I were a designer, would be interesting to pick up ideas from.  New York would be a treasure trove, I would think.  I guess I don't find graffiti that fascinating.

I call out Tim/production actually.  At that point, he would have to know Char picked Korina's  look, and that the two of them would work together.  This was a conversation that could have happened with Korina off camera to explain "Look, you are going to have to work with Char, etc" but clearly that didn't happen. So yeah, again,  if I were Korina, I would feel  put into the crosshairs.

I agree with that though I thought Korina actually acted better than I expected from the preview.  She talked rationally. She was clearly still hurt and angry but she was more controlled.  On the other hand, the workroom atmosphere was a lot friendlier and relaxed without her...clearly the others thought she was a time bomb that would become an anger burst and that made everyone edgy.  Not a good situation.

Is it telling that Tim nearly left for the runway without Emily?  Emily so quiet and gracious. She also had insight when she said that most of the time when she really loves an outfit, the judges don't.  It is too bad that Emily's designs doesn't resemble her own waredrobe more.

But then I don't understand being obsessed with hoodies (Emily) or denim (Kini).  I'm just not a fashion person.

I agree that Amanda's street dress screamed Amanda, but I didn't like the colors or the floppy draping on both sides.  I don't understand the judge love for it.  Must be too sophisticated for me.  Her redo look didn't do much at all.

I liked Kini's coat.  Didn't like the flouncy bottom to the skirt.  I loved the way the red dress looked and swept around the model.  

Char's outfits -- not much of interest there. I don't think it is a good idea to add bulk to an area where women (even thin models) carry weight....in these look obsessed times, few people want to look heavier then they are.

Sean.  Don't understand the genius label here. The fact that Heidi hasn't seen anything like that skirt doesn't make him a genius.  Must look better up close than it did on my screen.  Pink look...well, did it ever occur to anyone to break up that color? It wasn't good on a little girl; it wasn't good on a woman.

Yet again, I don't agree that Zak is manhandling the models...he clearly loves to examine the technical details of the fashions.  He  seems to me to be trying to showcase what is good and bad about the technical finishing.  I noticed even Heidi was handling the fashion during the judges' portion.  Nina never gets anywhere the fashion to look at the details.

I'm not surprised Emily was eliminated but she left a good impression.  It had to be hard for her to be the only one who was not a finalist, but she handled her disappointment well.

• Love 4

Tim trotted out the button bag and Char even had a talking head about the button bag.  But did he ever use it?  Once he saw that Char picked Korina's outfit, he could have changed the outcome by saying "now you will draw your assistant's name from the bag."  I did not watch UTG but I'm starting to lose some of my Uncle Tim love.  As far as Korina, I understand why she didn't want to work with Char.  Nothing again Char, but Korina saw her as the reason she was aufed.  I actually respect her for saying "I can't do this" instead of sticking around and whining and moaning.  I hope Kini takes the prize. I loved his coat and he made the poufy skirt because Tim told him to amp it up.

• Love 1

I guess I don't understand why Char is going to Fashion Week.  Now I'm beginning to believe in conspiracy theories just a little.  I liked Emily's street outfit better.  It was so cleanly sewn and the face was a surprise.  I didn't even see it until she took the hoodie off on the runway.  I wish Emily had gone to FW instead.

Wow, so we really only did see a fraction of what has been going on all season with Korina.  If the designers felt that great after she was gone, the unpleasantness must have been brewing in the pot all season and finally boiled over in the last episode.  I understand why she didn't want to be Char's helper, but it actually might have helped her with getting over it.  Or she might have been a crabby sulky whiner .

It was hard for me to understand Sean's white outfit.  I think it's one of those that look better in real life than on TV.   But he has the best model and the white looked great against her skin.  It wouldn't have with a light-skinned model.  I think he also designs with his model in mind and what will look good on her (like that blue velvet dress for the jewelry challenge).  I did notice that the mannequin wearing the yellow dress was black, and yes, the yellow did look good on the mannequin.

Kini's red dress - amazing!

• Love 3

I'm now rooting for Kini to win, though that skirt was wrong for that coat (again, following Tim Gunn's advice led to a fail for a designer this season).  However, Kini isn't the most original designer.  We've seen both that coat and that red dress design before.

I would've liked Sean's design a lot more if it had been in a color other than white, but it was certainly different.  I think the judges just get tired of seeing the same old designs season after season (which would also explain their inexplicable love for Sandhya's early designs).  But I did feel for Sean getting that horrendous little pink onesie for his redesign challenge. 

I didn't like Amanda's cut-out tent dress and thought it was hideous.  But I did like her comment about how no one likes to be eliminated (re Korina).  Korina's continued upset was fueled by her disbelief that the judges didn't recognize how superior she is to Char.

I was meh on Char's design, but the color combo was cool.  I don't think she'll win.

I hated Emily's design, both the blah hoodie jacket and the pajama-like underclothes, and agreed with the judges' decision to eliminate her.  But I agree with another's comment that at least she exited with class.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I knew he wasn't going home, but I thought Sean's two looks were by far the ugliest things I've seen all season.  The white outfit looked like a nurse in a psychiatric ward, or maybe cult member garb.  I was blown away by the praise it got.  Along with Amanda's hideous patchwork dress that looked so shapeless and shlubby.  But they are both deserving of Fashion Week so glad they moved on.

Korina, what a bitch.  And I am sure to this day, she watches this episode and remains righteously angry over the injustice of it all... no learning or growth from that one, because she always struck me as an entitled, unpleasant person from Day One.  The tone of the show changed immediately upon her exit.  The final five was a classy and pleasant group.  Emily and Char both should have been eliminated but maybe Char will blow us away in her final show...

• Love 3

Tim trotted out the button bag and Char even had a talking head about the button bag.  But did he ever use it?  Once he saw that Char picked Korina's outfit, he could have changed the outcome by saying "now you will draw your assistant's name from the bag."

He used it for the order people got to make their choice. I think he drew Emily first, so she chose Samantha's, etc. Kini was chosen before Sean, so he got Mitchell's dress.

I was also wondering about the three weeks before Fashion Week.  I thought all the taping (except for the FW episodes) was done in June, but to be three weeks before Fashion Week, taping would have finished in August after the show already started airing.

I liked Amanda's while it was walking down the runway.  I didn't love it, but I liked it enough to think it was safe.  But then, when the model was just standing on the runway for the judges q/a with designers it looked like an ugly shapeless sack.

Sean's...  hmmm..  I was mostly fine with it.  I didn't like the front piece of the skirt though.  It hung funny, almost bulky despite being flat.  It stood out funny from the body and hung too low.  I actually loved his pink shorts outfit for it's "well, let's just celebrate what it was before"ness, plus adding his signature fringe in a huge way.

• Love 2

First time post after lurking long time on TWOP and on this site.  Korina's actions forced me to register so I could comment! 

The comments from the other designers about how the atmosphere and vibe would change when she was there vs. not there was really telling,  To hear such comments from people who aren't aggressively mean or combative really showcases how nasty her spirit was during her time on PR.  I do hope for her sake that she can understand what others are seeing and can take it as a life changing moment.   

• Love 12

It was fun to see them happier and lighter with K. gone. 

Good Sport awards to both Char and Emily this week. Char was a champ about Korina. Emily was the definition of class and generosity of spirit when she lost. She was a sweetheart to all the others, and I admire her so much for it.

I didn't love anything, but what the hey, that's just me. Onward to the runway, at last.

I agree so much about Emily.  I really, really like her.  I know she wasn't the best designer, but I thought she was so kind and gracious throughout the competition that I kinda hoped she would've made it to the finale.  

Part of me *sort of* understood what the judges saw in Sean's "Street Wear" look.  The cut was different and somewhat unique, but I personally HATED IT.  I thought the fabric looked sooooo cheap and it was unflattering overall.  I felt like you could have tied a string to her and flown her on a windy day.

• Love 5

I actually loved his pink shorts outfit for it's "well, let's just celebrate what it was before"ness, plus adding his signature fringe in a huge way.

I kind of loved it because it put the judges in the unfortunate position of having to say out loud that an outfit which referenced the Amanda and Sandhya outfits they were blowing wet kisses at all season sucked.

• Love 3

I have no recollection of ever having seen Emily's helper, and even after spending half of last night's show thinking "who's that? She was on this show this season?  Really?" I can't recall her name this morning.

Ha! I couldn't remember her name from one week to the next, no matter what she did. Someone would make a comment here about "Samantha" and I'd be going. "Huh? Who? There's no one named Samantha on this season, is there?" Then I'd look at the pictures on the website and go, "Huh. I guess there is." Every week.

• Love 2

wow, I read the Korina thing completely differently than most people here.

Last week the forum was full of complaints dreading the drama of Char and Korina having to work together and how shitty it was for the producers to make that happen. Guess who saved you from that. Korina, and Korina alone.

I thought what she did was great. She was 1) Honest about how she felt. Whether it's admirable or not, she was clearly done, completely fried. And she was the only one who wasn't trying to pretend that wasn't the case for the cameras. 2) Understood that her going through the motions was not the best thing for Char. 3) Effectively told the producers to fuck off with their drama creation and refused to be a part of it.

Tim lied to her by implying that Char's choice of her look was a compliment in a way that it clearly was not,

The redo part of the challenge was mean-spirited. It looked bolted on last minute in the hopes of creating drama. The producers must have been wetting themselves in glee after Char picked Korina's look. After Korina tanked that, none of the designers took the redo seriously, except Kini, who always has extra time and energy and creativity to burn.

In my most cynical frame of mind, I don't even think Korina staying would even have been portrayed redemptively I think Char made it to fashion week to give the "redemptive arc" seal of approval on the Tim Gunn save. On the other hand "Korina sabotaged Char and kept her out of fashion week OMG!" would have been so juicy, I can't believe the PR producers wouldn't have gone there.

So thanks, Korina, for letting this episode of PR be about the fashion, despite production's best efforts!

• Love 6

My take on this episode.

Like most stated, Korina knows how this show goes,  They always bring back designers to help the top five.  And yes, they always bring back the most recent eliminated contestant.  If she couldn't take being back, all she had to do was say "No" when asked to come back.  Her problem wasn't just coming back to the show, it was helping Char whom she felt was way beneath her.  Her attitude was pretty much like that throughout the season.  First with Amanda, then with Sandhya then with Char.  She spent so much time being angered by what they were doing and getting that she shot herself in the foot.  Someone stated that she would be dangerous girlfriend material and I have to agree.  She would be boiling the rabbit, if you know what I mean.

Sean's outfit  was just plain awful to me and I am at a loss as to why it got praised.  It looked like a loose diaper under a white shirt that got caught in machinery to me.  The redo outfit was actually no better than the original.  As for his attitude, I didn't like what he said about Char but I respect that he is constantly playing the game like a CONTESTANT.  He is not spouting vitrol to Char's face; he is just expressing his opinions in his talking head sessions.  I have no problem with that

Amanda has actually grown on me.  Didn't like her I a veteran of this show attitude when she first came on but she changed and so have her design asthetic.  Still a bit odd and dated but that's her style.  Her redo look seemed just a thrown together afterthought

Char, I felt was not being either spiteful or trying to make any point.  She went for the outfit that gave her more options.  I also felt she should have listened to Tim and lost the pocket.  It was odd that she didn't listen as she always took his advice in the past.  I felt she was more hurt by Korina because as she said, she thought they were sort of friend in the competition.  Something went on on the runway during the elimination between her and Korina that really hurt her deep and it showed when she came back to the waiting room.  However, she was very mature and graceful to Korina, even when she was very bummed that Korina was back and her partner.

I actually like Char's skirt but not the top and I felt Alex sabotaged that dress as he was responsible for sewing that outfit and to have it come out like that was not good.  Just my feeling on the matter.  However I too, expected her to be auf'd

but seeing what she sends down the runway at fashion week, she did quite well.

Emily's hoodie, I liked but I hated the pajama suit underneith.  As for the redo, It just looked like she just cut the skirt shorter and nothing else.  It was the same ugly dress, only shorter.  Saw her aufing coming.

• Love 1

I didn't think Sean's white thing was streetwear in any way. I thought it was absolute runway, editorial and non-commercial. 

I felt bad for Char in her talking head that she felt kind of hoodwinked by Korina, and their friendship wasn't real. 

As for Tim's advice for Kini and the skirt, he advised him to amp it up, not bulk it up.  His trench had a belted waist, resulting in volume around the hips and thighs.  The ruffles on the skirt underneath just ballooned that whole thigh area on the model. From waist to knees, she was covered with multiple layers of heavy, gathered fabric.  I felt the same about his American Girl dress & coat.  Too much.   A basic rule of fashion is that if you have volume on top, make the bottom sleek and vice-versa. 

ETA: I think the contestants are contractually obligated to remain in NY for the duration of the shoot.  Otherwise, anybody living elsewhere would have gone back home & just come back during fashion week.  I don't think refusing to participate in the final episodes is even allowed, to a certain extent.  They let Korina go, but only after her refusal to participate was filmed for the show.  They won't let much of that stuff happen off camera these days.  They used to let things happen in the background, but not anymore. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4

Amanda's street look reminded me of a Donna Karan collection from a few seasons back, sort of an "Urban Burka" look. Didn't understand it then and don't understand it now. I just can't imagine anyone wanting to wear that on the streets of NYC. I liked the color blocking though.

They really need to change something about the way contestants are chosen, because these designers are very weak.

• Love 2

I felt bad for Char in her talking head that she felt kind of hoodwinked by Korina, and their friendship wasn't real.

I don't think anyone could have a real friendship with someone like Korina because Korina will always need to have someone else around to bully. She needs to feel superior. Looking back on this season, there was always a target for her: Amanda, Sandhaya, and then Char. 

I think Korina is a talented designer, but her massive ego impedes it. Maybe she'll eventually look back on this season and grow from it. For her sake, I hope she does.

• Love 5

I felt bad for Char in her talking head that she felt kind of hoodwinked by Korina, and their friendship wasn't real. 

Well, yeah, but Char is forty years old. If she hasn't figured out yet that a friend who talks smack with you about other people is going to end up talking smack about you, she hasn't been paying attention very hard.

• Love 7

I have a couple of differing opinions regarding this episode.  Regarding Char, I felt that a different side of her was presented in the episode.  First of all, she was so disappointed about the status of her friendship with Korina implies to me that she was just fine with Korina's attitude and views until they were turned on her (Char).  Korina did not just magically turn into a bitter whiner, she was consistent in her personality and views of other (even being mean girl towards Amanda earlier in the season).  From one episode we even saw Char and Korina exchange smirks with each other about Amanda.  So, Char and Korina may have had a common perspective or attitude prior to Korina's comments about Char.  Also, what was very telling to me was the 'golf clap' that Char did when she found out that Korina was to be her assistant.  In no way was that meant to convey gladness or happiness that they were to work together.  It was solely intended to irk Korina even more than she was.  Korina did not bulk at working with Char until after Char did the sarcastic clapping.  

I'm just not as fond of Char as the producers want me to be.  Even though Tim saved her, she continued to ignore his advice (she rejected his advice the episode in which Tim used his save).  Even the fact that she was using other designers' work to inspire her own (her photo was clearly of another person's yellow dress with arrows behind it) shows a lack of her own creative ideas.  I thought the biggest failing with her reworked dress was that it was a look that has been seen many times by many different designers.  If we could already buy Emily's reworked dress at various mall outlets, we could also buy Char's reworked outfit.  I really wish that Char had been sent home as I do not look forward to her runway show.

I didn't understand the love for Sean's or Amanda's looks.  

And, to clarify, I think Korina was a dark cloud over the entire season and I wish that we had been able to see more of the happy designers that we got only a glimpse of this episode.  However, I also think that Char has been an active participant in some of Korina's mean girl comments and I was really surprised that Char celebrated her own high moral standing by talking about how hard it must be for Korina to live with her hard heart.

• Love 6

Kini's red dress, I loved it. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. The trench looked fab too, how did he do it in two days?

I kind of hated Sean's white dress, it came across as bedsheet to me.

Amanda's maxidress looked like one of those huge parachutes you play with when you're in a gym class as a kid.

I knew Emily was a gonner.

Liked Char's combo of the magenta and the black and white, but I'm a sucker for black and white clothes with a little color.

Bring on the Korina drama for the reunion!

• Love 3
I was really surprised that Char celebrated her own high moral standing by talking about how hard it must be for Korina to live with her hard heart.

This comment jumped out at me, too. It struck me as the sympathy equivalent to a faux apology. "I feel so bad for her, having to live with the fact that she's such a terrible person - what a heavy burden." Christ, just say you don't like the person, instead of casting it in insincere terms of how bad you feel for them.

I also have just not really taken to Char the way the show seems to insist I should. Part of it is her participation in the Mean Girl antics earlier in the season, part of it is her aesthetic, which to my taste is at best unremarkable mall-wear and at worst pretty trashy. I agree with someone up-thread who said Char is one of the weakest designers to make Fashion Week - I have resisted many claims of producer interference, but with this one, I just can't believe she would have made it if she hadn't gotten the Save. Just like with the OTT exclamations of "genius!" by the judges every week over mediocre designs, the show has to keep up its delusion that these are great designers and if Tim saved someone, by god, they're awesome, all evidence to the contrary.

And it was kind of shitty of Tim to tell Emily she would have gotten Saved if he'd had another one. But you don't. Because you used it on someone who has been barely adequate all season. I would have loved to have seen Emily get another chance. Hers is the only aesthetic I really respond to.

• Love 8
The comments from the other designers about how the atmosphere and vibe would change when she was there vs. not there was really telling,  To hear such comments from people who aren't aggressively mean or combative really showcases how nasty her spirit was during her time on PR.  I do hope for her sake that she can understand what others are seeing and can take it as a life changing moment.

Yes, ITA.  Who was it who said that Korina's entry was like a black cloud coming into the room.  I thought that expressed it perfectly.

As for the designs, IMO Kini is miles ahead of the others.

• Love 1

Can someone please explain the appeal of Sean's design to me?  I

Because people who look good in absolutely everything including a trash bag would also look good in that.  And the judges consider that to be the standard of great design.  

I thought it was funny when Nina not only knocked the makeup (go sponsors!) but also the challenge itself.  In discussing Sean's redo outfit, Nina said something to the effect of well, we didn't give them anything to work with.  Then later, in judging Char's two looks, Nina said it would be interesting to see what Char could do if she actually had some time to do the work.  Go producers!

It seemed to me as if every designer except Kini focused on only one look and let the other be a throwaway. That pink outfit of Sandya's -- I mean of Sean's -- was ridiculous.  Not even Barbie would wear that.  Amanda and Emily and Char just went through the motions to have something to send down the runway.  So if the judges are only focusing on one look, why have them do two?

IMO, there seems to be a real conflict over the basic premise.  I'm confused when red carpet looks and yoga pants are competing against each other.  I understand that fashion encompasses all kinds of looks and ideas, just saying that I can't figure out how they're setting standards, because what looks great for riding the subway -- no matter how cute -- isn't what looks great for an evening event, so...?   

• Love 2

Yay, Reddust!

IMO, nearly everything he's done has been a reference to something another contestant has done before.

I mean, he almost went home the first 2 challenges, which is when I thought we saw his real esthetic.

I thought the Barbie cowgirl outfit should have sent him home straightaway.

Also, Zac and Nina: do you mean flamingo or flamenco? Cause there was nothing flamenco about the pink fringe outfit. Either way, just stop saying it, please.

• Love 2

Tom and Lorenzo:

To have to come back the very next day and watch Char hack that entry up and make it into something else is a cruel thing to do to someone.

http://tomandlorenzo...unway-whatever/ 

Have to admit I agree with Tom and Lorenzo's overall critique, especially their insight into Korina, though I just can't swallow that Sean's white dress is so amazing.  Maybe it is fashionable because of that.  Most of the ugliest things on runways these days seem to get the highest praise.  I don't think having the losers come back to watch their losing designs torn up was a particularly useful exercise, though most of them seemed good humored about it.  Korina loved her losing design...it actually seemed as if Char (who wanted the most material and then made the least use of it) went out of her way to use the smallest portion of it she could (I'm not analyzing why because there are at least two theories I could entertain) and she was still angry/hurt about the whole situation which would have made it even worse for her to see it chopped up.  It used to be that I was dismayed by the bad behavior of the designers (and, in the case of Under the Gunn, the mentors) but now I focused on this season's producers and how little interest they have in finding talent in their pursuit of drama. Sad. Yes, I know they have manipulated the drama before, but it just seems to have become their main interest (I suppose in the name of ratings). 

P.S.  It occurs to me that the assignment was to get inspiration from the people on the streets of New York, and I think Sean was the only one that actually did that...he saw the white traditional dress of a pedestrian and he was very taken by it.  Now his outfit looked nothing like that (which is probably a good thing) though, oddly enough, Amanda's rather did in a more ugly color variation, but I thought it was funny no one seemed to care what the premise of the challenge was two seconds after Tim announced it.

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 1
I honestly didn't hate Amanda's look, but it looked like loungewear from 30-40 years ago....for Andre Leon Talley or Mrs. Roper.

Mrs. Roper would have rocked the hell out of that schmatta, and that's the only good thing I can say about it. I will never understand why the judges love Amanda so much. I can't think of anyone I know who would ever wear her stuff.

Kini has been my favorite, clothes-wise, from the first challenge and I am super happy that he got through. Unfortunately being my favorite means he won't win, but I'm looking forward to seeing his collection. That jacket in his street look was everything.

I like Sean and I like his clothes, and I imagine it will come down to him or Amanda winning, so I guess I'm rooting for you, Sean! Well, really I'm rooting for Kini, but see above. Kiss of death. Sorry, Kini.

I'm shocked that Char made it through and Emily didn't. They both seem like awesome people, but I loved Emily's clothes this season and I can't remember a single thing Char made apart from the stuff she did in this challenge. Not one damn thing.

As far as Korina is concerned, she's just really young, immature and unprofessional. I couldn't really expect her to act any other way given all that, but it's unfortunate that she doesn't have the foresight to see how she's coming across on-camera. I can't imagine anyone wanting to work with her until she grows up a little. That whole thing where she felt too raw to come back so quickly after being aufed wouldn't have happened if she'd been assigned to anyone but Char. Or if she was really feeling that negative about it in general, that conversation should have happened off-camera and they should have pulled her aufed look from the room and put in Anthony's, since he was obviously nearby and able to fill in at the last minute. But oh, that's right, this show is 90% about the drama and 9% about Nina's attitude and 1% about "fashion". I keep forgetting.

• Love 4

I'd have more sympathy for Korina if she hadn't been shown multiple times throughout the season constantly badmouthing other people's designs and their abilities and -- when something didn't suit her -- blame everyone but herself when things didn't go well. Sure, all these contestants do the same on occasion, but she did it on EVERY occasion.

I was surprised that Tim didn't admit to the judges that it was HIS idea that Kini make his outfit more than a simple silhouette underneath the jacket. Kini had a simple outfit ready, and Tim told him to amp it up. After the runway show, the judges were saying that they wished Kini had made the outfit under the jacket more simple.  Oh, Tim.

That's happened a number of times this season. I was coming to the conclusion that, if Tim says to do something, you should do the opposite.

Alright, pelt me with your snark, but I really liked Char's street look.

I thought it looked more like a streetwalker look.

I'm not a fan of Amanda's but I can see how it represents what I think of as that new york street style.  Like you're hip and sexy without really trying at all.

If anyone wore that walking about New York City, you'd be dragging along every piece of trash on the street with you and soaking up every stinky puddle. Honestly, the only way you could "walk around" with that on is if you don't walk at all and have door to door chauffeur service.

As for Sean's white outfit ... honestly. All it needed was the hat Sally Field used to wear and the model could've been the flying nun's slutty sister.

I wasn't blown away by anyone, but Kini's been consistently good and I'd like to see him win. Plus, he's extremely capable which hasn't always been the case with some of the winners of this show.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 5