Type keyword(s) to search

HTGAWM in the Media: 12 (Million) Angry Men (& Women)

(edited)

HTGAWM started showing on French TV on June 30. For the benefit of French audiences, they've shortened the title to just "Murder". According to the article I read that in, from the French edition of Cosmopolitan (which can be found, in French of course, through this link, it was a ratings success.

For those who don't read French, to summarize the contents of the article: it claims that twitter reactions from French viewers show that besides, obviously, the presence of Viola Davis, the one reason France collectively fell in love with the show is Connor Walsh. Consequently, the article is mostly just a short profile of Jack Falahee. Half of which, I'm afraid, is taken up by talking about his reluctance to reveal his sexual orientation. Yes, it appears the French would like to know, too.

Edited by SailingBy
  • Love 1

I'm surprised. I was sure that would be the big mid-season reveal. But the pattern with this show so far has been that, as soon it gives you an answer, it opens up the door to another question, and what the audience is waiting to see revealed isn't what's important. Example: we all spent the first half of S1 wondering who killed Sam. But what was important wasn't that Wes had done it, but that Annalise had known and orchestrated the coverup. So I'm curious as to what the proverbial man behind the Rebecca's killer curtain will be.

• Love 1

Famke Janssen!  Yay!

I'm confused about the cast photos, because the ABC website still lists the actress who plays Rebecca as part of the cast.  Is she just listed there because she will appear in flashbacks?  Or are they just lazy and haven't removed her.  I am now very very afraid that perhaps she's not dead after all, and it was just all a dream.  Ugh.

I just saw that the Creative Arts Emmys already happened, and I can't believe that Cicely Tyson didn't win Guest Actress.  She got beat by Margo Martindale in "The Americans".  Who I'm sure is good.  But she's no Cicely Tyson.  Cicely Tyson was perfect in her appearance as Annalise's mother.

• Love 3

Famke Janssen!  Yay!

I'm confused about the cast photos, because the ABC website still lists the actress who plays Rebecca as part of the cast.  Is she just listed there because she will appear in flashbacks?  Or are they just lazy and haven't removed her.  I am now very very afraid that perhaps she's not dead after all, and it was just all a dream.  Ugh.

Flashbacks, they did the same with Lila last season.

• Love 3

Yep, we know Rebecca is coming back for flashbacks. I think Pete Nowalk said that would be the case at the end of last season, and a little while ago Katie Findlay posted a couple pictures on Instagram in her Rebecca look.

All of Season 1 is now up on Netflix for anyone *raises hand* who wants a refresher before diving into Season 2 this week.

• Love 2

Interview with Peter Nowalk, the show's creator/EP about the state of the show at the midseason finale.  I loved the first question quoted below!

Every series regular character could or should be behind bars at this point. Does that make you anxious? Does it upset you? Is your series finale eventually going to take place in hell?

• Love 4

So are we going to have two major cases going on at once? The Hapstall case is far from over. Not to mention the whole "what do Annalise and Eve have to do with the death of Wes's mother" thing.

I've been watching Sons of Anarchy recently and finished Season 2 last week, and Adam Arkin was really excellent in it, so I'm looking forward to seeing him here. Just wondering if there's enough room for a new case with everything else that's going on.

My recollection is that one of the conditions of Viola signing on would be that there wouldn't be more than 13-15 episodes per season so that she could continue working on other projects outside of this show. 

• Love 2

Variety - Postmortem with Charlie Weber

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/how-to-get-away-with-murder-finale-recap-wallace-shot-frank-missing-1201730727/

EW - How to Get Away with Murder star Charlie Weber on heartbreaking Frank twist

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/17/how-get-away-murder-charlie-weber-frank-spoilers

How to Get Away with Murder postmortem: Who killed the latest victim?

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/17/how-get-away-murder-finale-death-season-3-spoilers

Edited by Artsda

I just laughed a lot at the interview with the creator:  "I don't know;  Here's what we decided;  I guess that's possible; I never thought of that; that line was to mean what you want it to mean;  I have no idea; maybe.......", and so on and so forth. So, no spoilers soon I guess!!!!

Keep me entertained, and I'll come back even though they are doing it by the seat of their pants.

I guess I'm thr only one not thrilled with CR being upped to regular.

I like the actor, and I liked Oliver in season 1 but this year his inclusion seemed very forced and what he did to Connor is unforgiveable.

I can look past Frank drowning a pregnant co-ed, but cant ever with Oliver's "crime".

Also, I was halfway expecting JF to actually leave since he's also a regular on that PBS show with Josh Radnor.

Me and you both, would have preferred eva staying.

I know Famke Jaansen is busy with Hemlocke Grove, Wolverine 3, etc., but I really hope we get more Eve Rothlow next season.

• Love 3

What Oliver did is unforgivable?  There are murderers on this show.  And accomplices to murder, and people who have lied to cover up murders.

I can look past Frank drowning a pregnant co-ed, but cant ever with Oliver's "crime".

Maybe you can explain why?

I think that the actor who plays Katherine is the cutest thing ever.

What Oliver did is unforgivable?  There are murderers on this show.  And accomplices to murder, and people who have lied to cover up murders.

I can't speak for others, but I think the reason I am so upset with Oliver, compared to, say, Frank killing a pregnant sorority girl, is that Oliver was supposed to be good. Frank never really was. Right from the get-go, we knew he was kind of sketchy with questionable morals, and we saw more and more of that through the first season, until it culminated in Frank killing Lila. It was an unexpected twist, but still well within Frank's character based on what we knew and could infer about him.

Conversely, Oliver was good and sweet and innocent and completely separate from all of the horrible things that all of the other characters have done. The worst we ever saw him do was hacking, and (although I don't remember all of the instances where he hacked into something for Annalise so I could be missing something) I believe Oliver believed that he was doing the "wrong thing for the right reasons", i.e. his intentions weren't bad and he just wanted to help. By extension, Oliver and Connor's relationship has been probably the only healthy relationship on this show - minus Connor lying to Oliver about all of the murders. They both clearly respect and love each other, and would never intentionally hurt the other. Now, all of that is ruined - the one "good" character and "good" relationship left on the show - because Oliver betrayed Connor and did something that he knew was wrong, knew would hurt Connor, but would allow him, Oliver, to get what he wanted.

Obviously in the grand scheme of things, murdering someone is far worse than betraying someone the way Oliver did, but IMO it's the characters and the expectations the audience has of these characters that makes what Oliver did feel so much worse.

When they showed Frank killing Lila, my initial reaction wasn't "I hate Frank", it was more along the lines of "Woah didn't see that coming, I can't wait to find out more about him and what led him to do this". I still like the character of Frank and find him interesting. Whereas as soon as I realized what Oliver was doing, my initial reaction was "I hate Oliver" and really just want the whole storyline over with as fast as possible.

It's not entirely logical, but there you go.

• Love 2