Type keyword(s) to search

HTGAWM in the Media: 12 (Million) Angry Men (& Women)

Creative HTGAWM Color Blind Test.  Plus, Indiewire recently published this article on whether the show is still "must-see" TV.

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-03-06%2Bat%2B3.01.5

I either like a show or not based on the ads. for that show and whether I recognize the actors. Just because it's a Shonda show doesn't mean I'm watching. I haven't watched this new show because although the actors are recognizable to me, I'm just not interested in it.  The whole idea seems to be a waste of a woman's time. I have no interest in seeing a jilted woman getting swindled out of her fortune and then she proceeds to run about all over the place trying to find the loser and make him pay. That was what they were advertising and it just didn't hit home with me.  It just doesn't seem that different, nor intriguing to me.  Really ABC?

Now I will watch the comedy that she's supposed to be developing because I've read that it will have an actress from Grey's headlining it, and I like the actress and feel she's been wasted on Grey's. It's another reason why I don't watch Grey's anymore, wasting the few actors they have left who I think can act.  So it's a combination of things that determines whether or not I'll tune into a show.

This show is must see tv for me, the other two, not at all. It's all about preference I guess. I guess the entire night isn't a slam dunk anymore.

• Love 1

Definitely happy for Famke but yes, super bummed that it looks like the end for Annalise and Eve. Part of me wants to blame this show for not bumping her up to the main cast and giving her a contract, but maybe they did offer her one and she'd already signed onto the other show.

Maybe filming schedules will work out and NBC will be nice and let her jump ship for an episode or two?

(edited)
Maybe filming schedules will work out and NBC will be nice and let her jump ship for an episode or two?

That's what I'm hoping. If they go more into the Mahoney story in season 3, Eve would need to be present for at least some of that.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

Life imitating art, I believe he's on Bravo's Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce, in which he's divorced and constantly in this push and pull with his ex-wife. At least the last time I watched it, that's what was happening.

They were married a bit, for a Hollywood marriage anyway. 

It is a darn shame that these celebrities can't keep their private business to themselves. They have no privacy and these two aren't even A-list celebrities and still it's out there.

Good luck to them.

• Love 1

That question got really stale, really fast, and I'm surprised (and annoyed) that people keep asking it. She's been kicking butt on this show for two seasons now...when will people just accept that we have a complex anti-heroine in the vein of Tony Soprano/Walter White/Don Draper who just happens to be female, black, and queer?

• Love 6
On 8/5/2016 at 2:01 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

Given how season 2 went, it will probably just be "So convoluted and ridiculous that no one will ultimately be able to care."  Personally, I don't buy that the season 2 Hapstall case was ever 'solved,' it just ran out of twists because one of the suspects was dead (probably killed by other suspects) and therefore everything could be pinned on him.  It ended with 'whatever,' not a big satisfying conclusion of some well-plotted mystery. 

• Love 3

Variety has an Ep. 2 recap and a Q&A with Conrad Ricamora.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/how-to-get-away-with-murder-season-3-episode-2-oliver-alive-fire-1201874329/

Does the cast have any theories about who is under the sheet?

Well, we know at this point who is under the sheet, so we are all kind of dealing with that in our own way and trying to be supportive of one another. It’s a loss and it’s heartbreaking.

I know you can’t tell me who is under that sheet, but is it a major character? Or is it perhaps someone new that we’ll meet this season?

It’s going to be someone who is pivotal to the show, but it will be very unexpected.

With how this show has gone in its first two seasons, I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that the cast members already know who's under the sheet.  It often feels as if the creators are making it up as they go along.  

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Variety has an Ep. 2 recap and a Q&A with Conrad Ricamora.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/how-to-get-away-with-murder-season-3-episode-2-oliver-alive-fire-1201874329/

With how this show has gone in its first two seasons, I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that the cast members already know who's under the sheet.  It often feels as if the creators are making it up as they go along.  

Nowalk stated in another article that they figured it out just before episode 9, which is the episode when the person's identity is revealed. I think that article is posted somewhere above in the media thread?

Edited by secnarf

When Viola was on Kimmel last week, she said she already knows how the season ends. I figured it was sort of like Mad Men where Jon Hamm got the season lowdown in advance and everyone else had to wait for each script to find out what happened. It surprised me because I thought they wrote this show by making it up as they went along. Who knows?

On 8/17/2016 at 4:34 PM, harmfulhazards said:

How To Get Away With Murder Gets Back to the Courtroom in Season 3

Famke will be back for at least an episode. That was unexpected. I thought series regulars on the network shows are not allowed to star on the other networks. I hope Eve will not be killed off or ruined in other ways.

It depends on how important to the script the actor is, but it's not unprecedented. Chris Meloni did Law & Order and Oz, Allison Brie was on Mad Men and community, Sherri Shepard did he View and 30 Rock. Here's a list of others. Let's not forget during the first season Conrad worked bicoastal flying back and for the from LA to film HTGAWM to NYC to perform in The King & I. If an actor can't work out the schedule, they often get written out. The actor who played Tuco was written out because he was on The Closer full time and they couldn't coordinate the schedules. I think TPTB have written Eve out in such a way that will allow for a return if her schedule allows it. ETA- I forgot Jack Falahee also appears on PBS Mercy Street.

Conrad Ricamora receives HRC Visibility award. Very moving speech. Especially the part where he thanks his parents.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 3
On 9/23/2016 at 3:33 PM, nosleepforme said:

Weren't they on par with last year's finale?  I think that is a good thing and you also have to take Notorious into the equation. That show bombed and HTGAWM actually built on it.

I think we (and ABC by extension) can be happy with those numbers if they stay at that level. HTGAWM is not going to be the runaway hit again that it was in its first again and I think most people time shift the show anyway and binge when the season is over.

Approx ratings for each half-hour so far: 1.44, 1.38, 1.29, 1.25, 1.26, 1.19, 1.10, 1.03. Biggest % drop of any non-sophomore network TV show so far.

How is the show doing in relation to it's competitors? I'm not sure if I'd worry just yet. There are a lot of new shows this season and while everything isn't my taste  I can see viewers checking out other things. Especially since with Scandal's late start ABC  no longer has that TGIT block. 

That speech by Conrad Ricamora (posted by Milaxx) demonstrates why I really don't want them to kill Connor.

RE the ratings, I check the TvByTheNumbers "Renew/Cancel Index" when I want to know if a show I like is in danger.

This is what they are currently saying about ABC shows, including HTGAWM:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/renewcancel/cancel-bear-vs-abc-week-3-conviction-is-in-ratings-jail/

They have a pretty good track record, and right now they say HTGAWM is likely to be renewed, but of course it's only the 3rd week of the season. Besides that it's doing pretty OK compared to other ABC dramas, in past years shows in their 3rd season have tended to get renewed at a higher rate than shows in other years, so that's also in our favor.

• Love 1

Well, the 3rd season thing is specifically because a syndication package is generally expected to have 88 episodes, and 4 22-episode seasons provide exactly that. There's nothing special about the number 4 itself.

23 hours ago, possibilities said:

That speech by Conrad Ricamora (posted by Milaxx) demonstrates why I really don't want them to kill Connor.

RE the ratings, I check the TvByTheNumbers "Renew/Cancel Index" when I want to know if a show I like is in danger.

This is what they are currently saying about ABC shows, including HTGAWM:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/renewcancel/cancel-bear-vs-abc-week-3-conviction-is-in-ratings-jail/

They have a pretty good track record, and right now they say HTGAWM is likely to be renewed, but of course it's only the 3rd week of the season. Besides that it's doing pretty OK compared to other ABC dramas, in past years shows in their 3rd season have tended to get renewed at a higher rate than shows in other years, so that's also in our favor.

What did Ricamora say?

People are still watching the show, theyre just not doing it live.  So far the live+7 numbers for the first two episodes (only data released thus far) have been steller.  And IIRC, the live+30 numbers even at the end of the second season were about 85% of the live+30 numbers for the series first few episodes.  

Advertisers don't really give money for commercials viewed after the first 3 days, so those extra numbers are basically meaningless as ABC gets pretty much $0.00 from them.

Edited by jjjmoss

Commercials are mostly how TV networks get money. If commercials didn't exist, TV networks would have (almost) no money and not exist. I am confused about what you're asking.

Millions and millions of people still watch in the first 3 days for many, many shows. Including...this one.

Edited by jjjmoss
12 hours ago, jjjmoss said:

Advertisers don't really give money for commercials viewed after the first 3 days, so those extra numbers are basically meaningless as ABC gets pretty much $0.00 from them.

Is that still true?  If so then why is it when you watch anything on ABC on demand, even a week later they're still running commercials?  Also, if you have Time Warner or Spectrum, you can't watch ABC shows online until a week later.  I think ratings should go the way of the dodo bird.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Is that still true?  If so then why is it when you watch anything on ABC on demand, even a week later they're still running commercials?  Also, if you have Time Warner or Spectrum, you can't watch ABC shows online until a week later.  I think ratings should go the way of the dodo bird.

At least the antiquated ratings system that was created back when live viewing was your sole option needs to go.  I think all platforms for viewing and at least a month"s viewing time (that's how people get to catch up on shows, both new and whose premiere date they forgot) need o be factored in.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, doram said:

I didn't understand why ABC would keep airing commercials after the first 3 days if they get no money from them. 

This is logistically impossible without time travel. Do you want ABC to come to your house, hack into your DVR after the first 3 days, and erase the commercials you already recorded?

Edited by jjjmoss

For the people in the "Don't Tell Annalise" thread who were asking for the playlist with all the music on the show:

I generally update it after each episode and I get the songs from tunefind.com, which is a great resource for music used on TV shows. It doesn't have every single song...not all of them are available commercially, and sometimes the show uses an obscure remix that's not on Spotify. But for the most part it's pretty comprehensive and in chronological order.

Some people in the other thread mentioned what music this show has turned them onto. For me, it's IAMX...they use their songs a lot and now I have their whole discography on my phone. It's not a bad I'd normally be into but they have some awesome stuff and I love this show for introducing me to them!

• Love 5

A lot of shows are doing more and more in-show advertising and some of it is very subtle, and some of it not so much.  For example, in the last few years Red Lobster sponsored an episode of The Middle in which the Heck's ate dinner at the restaurant and talked about the cheddar bay biscuits and walts shrimp.

I wouldnt be surprised if some clothing stores were paying for the characters to wear their clothes.  Everything worn by Annalise, Bonnie, Michaela, and Connor looks very high end.

In the least, I went and found the sunglasses Connor was wearing in the premeire.

Edited by Tiger
5 hours ago, Tiger said:

I wouldnt be surprised if some clothing stores were paying for the characters to wear their clothes.  Everything worn by Annalise, Bonnie, Michaela, and Connor looks very high end.

Lyn Paolo is the show's costume designer. She's also works on Scandal and Shameless. She's active on twitter. If you tweet and ask, she will often tell you who makes whatever clothing the actors are wearing, particularly the leading ladies like Kerry Washington and Viola Davis.

I never brought up on demand or streaming so I wasn't talking about them. I was responding directly to "And IIRC, the live+30 numbers even at the end of the second season were about 85% of the live+30 numbers for the series first few episodes."

How to Get Away With Murder's Liza Weil Wants You Ready for a "Profound Loss" When the Season 3's Victim Is Revealed

My favorite part of this piece

Whatever surprise is in store, it'll be hard to top the shocker that was Bonnie and Frank getting physical after whispering their fantasy about running away together somewhere far away from Annalise and all this murder. The hookup was a game-changing moment for the characters, but for the actors playing them, the sex felt like a natural progression. "I think that it was something that made a lot of sense to us. I think that these people are very connected," Weil admitted. "I think that this show has so much going on—all of these characters have been through so much and are operating from a very compromised state. I think that, you know, there is a very primal need to connect and I think that they can do that for each other. I think that, unfortunately, boundaries can get very blurry with these characters."

IA with with Liza. The Bonnie/Frank hookup was a natural progression for two characters who already have shared so much emotional intimacy.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Well, unless all the actors are trolling us, as Weil isn't the only one to say something along these lines, the "profound loss" basically eliminates Nate, while many viewers like him, I doubt profound loss would describe viewer reaction.  I think that leaves Wes or Connor as these two mcharacters and the potential that one is dead seems to be provoking the most responses on this and other forums.  I would feel a profound loss if it were Frank, but I don't know how many others would share that sentiment, especially after recent events.

I think profound loss applies more to the cast than viewers. IIRC they said everyone was crying on set.  While I think the choices are Frank,  Wes, Nate or Connor, I lead more towards Frank. He is one of the original cast members, he has ties to Annalise, Laurel and Bonnie. He's killed the most (Lila, Wallace Mahooney, the hitman & Bonnie's dad), and his death could spin off story arcs for Annalise, Bonnie and Laurel.   There's still mileage to get out of the mother/son relationship Annalise has with Wes. Not to mention if the wanted to bring back David Wallace and the fact that Wes is his half brother or that his mother killed herself.  Nate would make cast and crew sad,but wouldn't really impact story lines.  The chemistry between Jack and Conrad is too strong to waste unless they want to add a new member to the K5 and then there's the "kill your gays" trope that tv has taken a hit for lately.

Also the show has a history of telling us who the bad guy is and then confusing us throughout the season so that we think it someone else. Season 1 - As soon as Lila's body was found Annalise literally said"I bet the boyfriend did it." Sure enough Sam via Frank had Lila killed. Season 2 Oliver says, "You  know they did it" in the first episode. Sure enough Caleb did it and Catherine covered for him. This show likes to give us twist and turns so I'm sure they could come up with a plausible reason for whoever is under the sheet,but I have a sinking feeling it's Frank. (Of course writing this pretty much assures it will be someone else but this is my working crackpot theory)

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 3

Ultimately, there's no real story if it's Connor or Asher.  Outside of Oliver and Michaela, I dont think anyone would care.

Whereas if it's Frank or Wes, it touches and concerns every character and every story.

Plus, while I still think Falahee may be leaving the show, I no longer think Connor would leave in a body bag given what Ricamora said in his HRC speech.  

Also, at least as of season 3, episode 4, Connor is one of two regulars that hasnt killed or even tried to kill someone.  And on the whole he is the most crime-free.  It would send a horrible message to kill off the most relatively innocent character, especially given that he tried to extraxate himself from the insanity and that escape was stolen from him.

Edited by Tiger
12 hours ago, Milaxx said:

I think profound loss applies more to the cast than viewers. IIRC they said everyone was crying on set.  While I think the choices are Frank,  Wes, Nate or Connor, I lead more towards Frank. He is one of the original cast members, he has ties to Annalise, Laurel and Bonnie. He's killed the most (Lila, Wallace Mahooney, the hitman & Bonnie's dad), and his death could spin off story arcs for Annalise, Bonnie and Laurel.   There's still mileage to get out of the mother/son relationship Annalise has with Wes. Not to mention if the wanted to bring back David Wallace and the fact that Wes is his half brother or that his mother killed herself.  Nate would make cast and crew sad,but wouldn't really impact story lines.  The chemistry between Jack and Conrad is too strong to waste unless they want to add a new member to the K5 and then there's the "kill your gays" trope that tv has taken a hit for lately.

Also the show has a history of telling us who the bad guy is and then confusing us throughout the season so that we think it someone else. Season 1 - As soon as Lila's body was found Annalise literally said"I bet the boyfriend did it." Sure enough Sam via Frank had Lila killed. Season 2 Oliver says, "You  know they did it" in the first episode. Sure enough Caleb did it and Catherine covered for him. This show likes to give us twist and turns so I'm sure they could come up with a plausible reason for whoever is under the sheet,but I have a sinking feeling it's Frank. (Of course writing this pretty much assures it will be someone else but this is my working crackpot theory)

I too think it's Frank, but think the other most likely are Wes and Connor.  Hopefully one will be knock of the running come Thursday, although they will likely drag u

it out, giving Asher and Nate first.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Ultimately, there's no real story if it's Connor or Asher.  Outside of Oliver and Michaela, I dont think anyone would care.

Whereas if it's Frank or Wes, it touches and concerns every character and every story.

Plus, while I still think Falahee may be leaving the show, I no longer think Connor would leave in a body bag given what Ricamora said in his HRC speech.  

Also, at least as of season 3, episode 4, Connor is one of two regulars that hasnt killed or even tried to kill someone.  And on the whole he is the most crime-free.  It would send a horrible message to kill off the most relatively innocent character, especially given that he tried to extraxate himself from the insanity and that escape was stolen from him.

What did Ricamora say in his HRC speech?